Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

This Saison pours with a nice looking cascading rocky white head. Lacing is good and head retention is just about as good, though not quite. The color of this farmhouse ale is a very clear golden yellow. Overall it looks appetizing.

One of the first things I noticed about this beer upon opening it was its complex aroma. There is a distinct yeasty aroma about this beer. There is also a spicy character easily picked up by the nose, Sazz perhaps? In the background I detect some slight fruit/sweet notes.

The nose of this beer is only the tip of the Iceberg. It would be nice if more of the complex flavor were represented in the aroma of this beer. This beer has got a nice overall flavor to it. Lots of things going on. There is definitely a fruity sweetness to it that can't be missed. Also notes of light caramel. Finishes with just the right amount of hops to offset the sweetness. Along with these bittering hops, the spicy character can be tasted as well(I'm going to assume that this is Sazz). Alcohol is slightly detectable (taste) as it goes down the throat.

On the palate this beer is very light. It goes down easy and warms just a bit as it goes down. carbonation does not get in the way of the delicate taste of this beer.The beer is clean tasting and crisp, it finishes fairly dry. This is a beer I will definitely be buying again.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Okay I admit I'm an American and English beer kind of guy in general and not at all into Belgians (gasp!), but I remembered liking this one in the past. Pours a bright, glowing golden hue, but is slightly cloudy or hazed below the one finger foamy head. Smells Belgian (uh oh, I think), yeasty, sweetish, and only gently hoppy--not too much smelling going on here as it makes me nervous and the aroma of Belgian beers make me think of dusty cellars by association... Okay here I go...tastes fruity and complex--fruity in a white wine kind of way. Nectar like. Has waves and layers of flavor. Definite alcohol presence. Starts with the fruit-like malts, flashes alcohol, adds a flair of spice, and finishes with a juicy, fruit-zest hops lingering on the tongue for a moment or two. I'm not in love with the taste, but it's intriguing. Mouthfeel is full but on the tongue sits slightly watery--more so than expected, I expected more syrup, but it is pleasing. Not sure how I feel about the carbonation level..a bit high. Drinkability wise, this is nothing I'll swoon over and plan my day around, but it's a good beer that seems it could go well with the summer bread, cheese, fruit, and spiced meats kind of picnic.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is cloudy, light straw-colored, with a pure white, delicate head that was almost two inches thick.

The smell was clovey, spicey, very pleasant.

Taste was less spicey than the aroma, but still noticeably a saison. VEry crisp, clean flavor.

Mouthfeel was light, crisp, but still present and noticeable.

I could drink this all day.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bright clear gold with a huge white head, amplified by the glass. Lots of bubbles coming up.

Smells of banana and citrus, spicy clove, and malty and hoppy undertones.

Light earthy malts and a mild hops finish. Not as fruity as the aroma, but the banana, orange, and lemon undertones are still there. Plenty of spice as well. Excellent balance, but mostly very subtle. Somewhat of a yeasty aftertaste.

Light, crisp, and refreshing. Goes down very smooth. If I didn't know better, I'd believe this was a true Belgian Saison. Excellent beer, would recommend to anyone.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a hazy medium yellow/gold with a nice head that evaporates at quick rate. Smell is of bananas, citrus, fruity, cantaloupe, yeast, spices, etc...One of the best noses I have ever experienced in a beer. Exceptional. As for the taste, it's right up there as well. Much like the nose, it tastes of bananas, yeast, honey dew melon, some spiciness that would be expected from this genre of beers, just party in my mouth. Mouthfeel is decent, creamy yet maybe a little too carbonated. For a 7.7% brew, this is EXTREMELY drinkable - even TOO drinkable. Hennepin is so tasty and refreshing, and hides the alcohol level extremely well so be responsible downing these gems.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

I popped the cork on this 750 ml bottle only to have it hit the ceiling, wall and then my chest with surprising force. No foam out of the bottle, but it does pour a surprisingly large head. Color is just slightly cloudy gold. Smell is slightly grainy and sweet, a bit reminiscent of tomato vines and just a little yeasty. Taste is a delicious sweet pungent flavor, a little bready and yeasty. the 7.5% is extremely well hidden. It is extremely smooth and refreshing, I could drink this after a run and feel satisfied. I had this beer for the first time last year around this time. It was my introduction to the style, as well as the first Belgian style beer that I truely loved, enough to go out and buy another bottle of it almost right away. All around a great way to break into the style, I feel that I now appreciate and enjoy a lot more Belgians.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a cloudy yellow orange with a real small white head, although it left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of creamsicles, bananas, slight daiquiri. Taste of citrus and melong, with also a rustic earthiness to it. Nicely creamy mouthfeel. It had a smooth start and a spicy alcoholic finish.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

My first review of this beer was written when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember the beer being a bit too much for me then thus the less than stellar review. I was able to revisit this gem when it I was it on tap at my local beer bar. I have to say that this is great on tap.

Taste: Spiced banana, clove and wheat notes. I could really sit and drink this all day. I have to say this is one of the better tasting beers I have had in awhile.

Smell: Banana and citrus notes. Slight wheat presence.

Ap: A clear light gold. The head disappeared quickly and there was hardly any lacing.

Verdict: I take back my comments that this isn't a top 100 beer. This beer deserves all the praises it should get.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

An average looking beer. Pale hay/copper with hardly any head. A bad pour by the bartender?

A malty yeasty aroma with hints of earth & meat. Somewhat sour fruit, lemon, orange, and melon.

Carbonated yet creamy mouthfeel with flavors of lemon fruit, sour candy, earth, flowers, and some grilled vegetable flavors. Leaves a sour off taste in the finish.

I've had this bottled and thought it was far superior. Could have been dirty lines?

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

S - 750 ml bottle with ommegang label around neck and hennepin label around bottle.

A - Pours a golden dull with a nice white head that sticks around the egdes. really chunky and thick then falls to a single layer on top of the beer.

S - Honey is the first thing, then pepper and spices expose themselves and finish with a phenolic kind of estery scent, kind of fruity and medicinal. The alcohol is also kind of present.

T - Earthy and grassy with a nice touch of lemon, then mildly hoppy, not overpowering but just right. kind of dry and a decently grainy. very very nice.

M - Crisp and fresh, perfect for a saison. hugs your tongue at first and then cuts through and leaves you nice and refreshed.

D - Lets put it this way, i need at least 3 750's for a night. a beautiful beer.

Tips - You can get a "universal glass" from ommegang's website, they used to have a hennepin glass but it is discontinued. The best saison i have ever tried, hands down.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Huge snowy head, billowing above the glass. Classic Belgian carbonation, bravo. Color is light honey, slightly hazed. Dozens and dozens of streams of bubbles aggresively charge the surface of the glass. Lots of lace resides all over the sides of the glass. Honestly, this beer couldn't look any better. Simply stunning, put together amazingly well.

S: Yeasty, coriander, ripe bananas, overall freshness and not as mysterious as most saisons.

T: Starts off very wheaty and yeasty...herbal and lightly hoppy. Spreads to a buttery chamomile with lots of subtle citrus notes. Finishes with more tradition saison type flavors; hay, fresh cut grass and lots more yeast. A gentle dryness lingers long after the sip.

M: Full bodied and fairly creamy

D: I wasn't immediately taken in by this beer....but the more I drank it, the more infatuated I bacame. It went from an unsophisticated golden ale to so much more. Very pleased with this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a cave-aged bottle that I acquired recently thanks to Beerpanther.

Gold murky color with a lush foam head of 5 mm. The head holds extremely well. Beautiful thick lace remains on the sides of the glass.

The aging really takes any of the bite and harshness out of this beer. It is as smooth as can be and lush honey, fruity, floral combo on the nose and the palate with none of the champagne-like sting that can sometimes be apparent from the carbonation. I have always been a fan of Ommegang and the abbey ale seemed to really improve and add an extra layer of complexity with the cave aging wherreas the Hennepin is just smoother, mellower and more drinkable. Excellent !!

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Hazy golden brew with mammoth fluffy head that leaves lacing all over the glass.

S - Tangy citrus aroma and very yeasty.

T - Crisp taste with lemon spice flavor.

M - Medium bodied, smooth, and well carbonated.

D - This is a very drinkable beer if you want a little more flavor and kick than the average summer drinking beer.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Ok...first time I am tasting this beer...really.
Pours a beautiful orange/yellow clear liquid with a nice half finger head that melts very slowly to fine lacing.
Aroma is both belgium yeasts, which I love, and fresh tropical fruits....oranges, mangos, pineapple.
Taste is sharply tart of citrus with bananas and a substantial drying.
I am sure there is more complexity than I am describing, but I am drinking this with a dinner of smoked ribs and cole slaw and I can see how people say it goes with everything.
The ribs are spicy and the coleslaw is full of vinegar, but the Hennepin washes the pallet perfectly with it's dry bitterness leaving you ready for the next bite....totallly clean.
Wonderful brew.
Yes...it is the perfect dinner beer.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color. The head is massive, fluffy and off white. Lacing is thorough. The aroma is just right for a saison: grass, citrus, orange. The taste is a little more barnyard than other saisons I have had, but that is not to say that I do not enjoy it. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this is a very good beer that I would really like to see distributed to my area.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This beer was tasted in a oversized wine glass from the 750mL corked bottle.

This beer pours a very slightly hazy brilliant gold with a frothy white head. The head holds and laces very well. The smell is spicy from the characteristic saison yeast and lemony with touches of hops all around. The taste is very refreshing. The spicy yeast and slightly wheat characteristics are present along with some light fruitiness. Hops abound and interplay perfectly with the spice from the yeast. The mouthfeel is light-medium with lively carbonation. Overall, a fantastic beer. One of the best belgians out there..and made here in the US.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized tumbler - closest I could get to a snifter.

Appearance: Poured golden with a beautiful, one-inch head that dissipated very slowly, there was still a thin layer of foam at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Spicy and fruity.

Taste and mouthfeel: Spicy hop bitterness mixed in with sweet, fruity flavors; I got Granny Smith apple and green grape. A late burst of alcohol provides for a warming finish. There was an earthy quality to the whole thing. Mouthfeel was slick, especially as the beer warmed, yet remained refreshing.

Drinkability: If the alcohol burst doesn't bother you - and it didn't bother me - it's quite drinkable. Great sipper.

Notes: My first saison, and I think I'm gonna really like this style. I'd love to try this brew with a selection of cheeses.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 750 mL bottle. Pours a pale gold with a frothy white head while unleashing an impressive display of carbonation.

Smell is of ripened fruit and alcohol with a spicy nose.

Medium bodied with an active carbonation. Taste is quite complex morphing between candy sugar fruitiness and clove-like spice. Finishes dry but well received on the palate. Very quenching and flavor infused. Outstanding drinkability. Highly recommended. Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Corked and caged bottle pours a bright golden color with a quickly fading one finger head. Thin layer of foam on top, and minimal lacing.... looks fizzy and yellow.

The aroma is anything but fizzy and yellow. Bready, yeasty, and spicy aromas shine through, with a hint of alcohol.

Flavor is dry and spicy. Huge amounts of yeast flavor, very spicy phenols, and a hint of wheat flavor. Mouthfeel is chewy and full, and drinkability is high.

Once again, another fine brew from Ommegang. I'll have to seek out the cave aged version of this one.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Light bodied for it's style, with a pleasant wheat/yeast fragrance and a minimum head. It laced nicely on the glass, but the real substance to the beer was its nice combination of wheat, hops, and malt which made for a crisp taste while also giving it a smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel.

I only had a loose bottle of this beer, but feel compelled to pick up a few others. I thought it was outstanding.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Part deux of my unexpected Kroger Ommegang score. Unlike the Rare Vos, this bottle opened with a loud pop and some spillage into the sink. Not too much though, thank goodness.

A- Nice pale golden color with a big white head. Active carbonation with a couple columns of bubbles rising to the top like a good champagne.

S- Malt and yeast flavors abound with spicy clove-like phenols and an orangey fruitiness.

T- Lemony tartness with cloves and some mustiness. Finishes dry with an earthy hop bitterness.

M- Fairly light and nicely carbonated. Easy to drink.

D- Quite drinkable due to its light body and pleasant mouthfeel. I'll have no problems polishing off this bottle.

Very nice ale, probably my favorite out of the three I've had from Ommegang. I'm not very familiar with the Saison style but this beer has got me interested. I'd definitely like to try a couple authentic Belgian examples and see how they stack up. I drank this beer alone, but I bet it would pair excellently with many types of food. Recommended.

cave aged '05... i picked this up during a visit to the brewery last weekend.

hazed golden color with a white head.
the aroma is a peppery pineapple with some tangy lemony orange citrus, with undertones of hay. it has some wit beer aromas too, a little clove and banana (seems to get more ripe as the temp rises). when the head is thick there is a lot of bubble gum.
the taste is softly citrusy with a baryard hay-like quality. it's got some pineapple and ginger as well, along with a nice amount of pepper. it's got some wheat like qualities in there too, a little bit of a sweet grainyness. it becomes a little sugary as it reaches room temp. towards the bottom of ther bottle the yeast gets mixed with the beer a bit and adds a nice bready aspect. in reality this deserves somewhere between a 4.0 and a 4.5 for taste, i'm gonna have to round down here though.
it's got a full medium body with moderate carbonation. finishes sort of dry, but sweet
a solid saison, that age has definitely mellowed a bit. more than worth a try. it's actually better at a little bit of a lower temperature.

Pours out a slightly hazy dark yellow/straw/gold...whatever, with a very nice white head that sits like a light marange.

Smell. Very similar to a hef. spiced cloves and bananas. Smell is fruity and quite sweet, has a small citris aroma as well. Interesting.

Taste. Again, somewhat similar to a hef, cloves really come out after a few seconds that becomes slightly peppery on the touch. This beer also gives me a cooling effect in my mouth after a few seconds and swallow, like menthol. Very nice spice tastes and has a yeasty taste to it as well. Aftertaste kinda gives me a corriander flavor, little creamy.

Mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation. light body, good balance. Gives my mouth a small puckering and drying sensation.

Overall, a very nice beer. Light and refreshing, yet tasty and complex. Good beer, but i'm not sure i totally agree such a high rating. But still quite good. And for a beer boasting 7.7% alc. this beer hides it incredibly well.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits and had it last night. I let it warm and served it in one of my New Belgium snifter style glasses.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden with hints of amber. The clarity is good and reveals vigorous carbonation feeding a thick frothy white head. Retention is good, though the head eventually fades to a thin layer leaving patchy lace.

Smell: The aroma reminds me of a hefe-weizen. There are notes of yeast, banana and cloves. Additionally there are aromas of grain and citrus.

Taste: Tart lemony citrus and fruity flavors upfront fade into a peppery grainy and grassy finish with a nice balancing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, mild carbonation (considering the bubbles), light oiliness with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Well balanced refreshing and incredibly easy to drink.

Overall: This is another great Ommegang beer. Incredibly tasty and refreshing.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang