Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This beer was tasted in a oversized wine glass from the 750mL corked bottle.

This beer pours a very slightly hazy brilliant gold with a frothy white head. The head holds and laces very well. The smell is spicy from the characteristic saison yeast and lemony with touches of hops all around. The taste is very refreshing. The spicy yeast and slightly wheat characteristics are present along with some light fruitiness. Hops abound and interplay perfectly with the spice from the yeast. The mouthfeel is light-medium with lively carbonation. Overall, a fantastic beer. One of the best belgians out there..and made here in the US.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized tumbler - closest I could get to a snifter.

Appearance: Poured golden with a beautiful, one-inch head that dissipated very slowly, there was still a thin layer of foam at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Spicy and fruity.

Taste and mouthfeel: Spicy hop bitterness mixed in with sweet, fruity flavors; I got Granny Smith apple and green grape. A late burst of alcohol provides for a warming finish. There was an earthy quality to the whole thing. Mouthfeel was slick, especially as the beer warmed, yet remained refreshing.

Drinkability: If the alcohol burst doesn't bother you - and it didn't bother me - it's quite drinkable. Great sipper.

Notes: My first saison, and I think I'm gonna really like this style. I'd love to try this brew with a selection of cheeses.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 750 mL bottle. Pours a pale gold with a frothy white head while unleashing an impressive display of carbonation.

Smell is of ripened fruit and alcohol with a spicy nose.

Medium bodied with an active carbonation. Taste is quite complex morphing between candy sugar fruitiness and clove-like spice. Finishes dry but well received on the palate. Very quenching and flavor infused. Outstanding drinkability. Highly recommended. Cheers.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Corked and caged bottle pours a bright golden color with a quickly fading one finger head. Thin layer of foam on top, and minimal lacing.... looks fizzy and yellow.

The aroma is anything but fizzy and yellow. Bready, yeasty, and spicy aromas shine through, with a hint of alcohol.

Flavor is dry and spicy. Huge amounts of yeast flavor, very spicy phenols, and a hint of wheat flavor. Mouthfeel is chewy and full, and drinkability is high.

Once again, another fine brew from Ommegang. I'll have to seek out the cave aged version of this one.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Light bodied for it's style, with a pleasant wheat/yeast fragrance and a minimum head. It laced nicely on the glass, but the real substance to the beer was its nice combination of wheat, hops, and malt which made for a crisp taste while also giving it a smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel.

I only had a loose bottle of this beer, but feel compelled to pick up a few others. I thought it was outstanding.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Part deux of my unexpected Kroger Ommegang score. Unlike the Rare Vos, this bottle opened with a loud pop and some spillage into the sink. Not too much though, thank goodness.

A- Nice pale golden color with a big white head. Active carbonation with a couple columns of bubbles rising to the top like a good champagne.

S- Malt and yeast flavors abound with spicy clove-like phenols and an orangey fruitiness.

T- Lemony tartness with cloves and some mustiness. Finishes dry with an earthy hop bitterness.

M- Fairly light and nicely carbonated. Easy to drink.

D- Quite drinkable due to its light body and pleasant mouthfeel. I'll have no problems polishing off this bottle.

Very nice ale, probably my favorite out of the three I've had from Ommegang. I'm not very familiar with the Saison style but this beer has got me interested. I'd definitely like to try a couple authentic Belgian examples and see how they stack up. I drank this beer alone, but I bet it would pair excellently with many types of food. Recommended.

cave aged '05... i picked this up during a visit to the brewery last weekend.

hazed golden color with a white head.
the aroma is a peppery pineapple with some tangy lemony orange citrus, with undertones of hay. it has some wit beer aromas too, a little clove and banana (seems to get more ripe as the temp rises). when the head is thick there is a lot of bubble gum.
the taste is softly citrusy with a baryard hay-like quality. it's got some pineapple and ginger as well, along with a nice amount of pepper. it's got some wheat like qualities in there too, a little bit of a sweet grainyness. it becomes a little sugary as it reaches room temp. towards the bottom of ther bottle the yeast gets mixed with the beer a bit and adds a nice bready aspect. in reality this deserves somewhere between a 4.0 and a 4.5 for taste, i'm gonna have to round down here though.
it's got a full medium body with moderate carbonation. finishes sort of dry, but sweet
a solid saison, that age has definitely mellowed a bit. more than worth a try. it's actually better at a little bit of a lower temperature.

Pours out a slightly hazy dark yellow/straw/gold...whatever, with a very nice white head that sits like a light marange.

Smell. Very similar to a hef. spiced cloves and bananas. Smell is fruity and quite sweet, has a small citris aroma as well. Interesting.

Taste. Again, somewhat similar to a hef, cloves really come out after a few seconds that becomes slightly peppery on the touch. This beer also gives me a cooling effect in my mouth after a few seconds and swallow, like menthol. Very nice spice tastes and has a yeasty taste to it as well. Aftertaste kinda gives me a corriander flavor, little creamy.

Mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation. light body, good balance. Gives my mouth a small puckering and drying sensation.

Overall, a very nice beer. Light and refreshing, yet tasty and complex. Good beer, but i'm not sure i totally agree such a high rating. But still quite good. And for a beer boasting 7.7% alc. this beer hides it incredibly well.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits and had it last night. I let it warm and served it in one of my New Belgium snifter style glasses.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden with hints of amber. The clarity is good and reveals vigorous carbonation feeding a thick frothy white head. Retention is good, though the head eventually fades to a thin layer leaving patchy lace.

Smell: The aroma reminds me of a hefe-weizen. There are notes of yeast, banana and cloves. Additionally there are aromas of grain and citrus.

Taste: Tart lemony citrus and fruity flavors upfront fade into a peppery grainy and grassy finish with a nice balancing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, mild carbonation (considering the bubbles), light oiliness with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Well balanced refreshing and incredibly easy to drink.

Overall: This is another great Ommegang beer. Incredibly tasty and refreshing.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

750 mL corked bottle.

Appearance is a very impressive dark golden color with lots of little bubbles and a big, rocky, lacy head. The smell is of cloves, malt and a touch of spicy hops. The taste follows with cloves, malt sweetness, some fruitiness, a bit of alcohol and some spiciness. The feel is smooth with a nice, medium body. Overall, I liked this beer but I just felt it was too strong and boldly spicy/fruity to be a beer that would be really drinkable. But that's just my tastes I guess.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I've read that their cave aged beers are only available at the brewery. I got this in NJ at Oaktree Liquors (they claim to be the only one in NJ). Some stats from the attached label:
"..8 months 156` below ground at a constant 52 degrees F and 80% humididy in complete darkness..."

I love Hennepin, so I was glad to get my hands on this.

a: beautifully clear golden brew. A very fine head that laces like a sheet of white...errum...lace?
s: sweet fruits with some alcohol.
t: Sweet fruitiness that finishes dry and light pepery phenols and powery yeasts. Alcohol is present. The aftertastes is a bit syrupy which conflicts with the dry finish.
m: smooth; so smooth and mellow. Yummy!
d: I can sip this forever. This is truely an amazing brew.

I'd attribute the smooth mellowness to the aging.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a thick and abundant head and the color was a dark orange/gold, with a slight haze. The mouthfell was medium light, with bouncing carbonation. The aroma was citrusy, fruity with orange and a dash of spice that leans more towards ginger than pepper. The flavor was refreshing up front, sweet with notes of honey and grains. There is really little of any funk that you might expect from a "farmhouse" style. Little spice, aside from what adds sweetness. I do get a little bite from the hops, but not enough to round this out to as rich a beer as it could be. The drinkability is high. I know you shouldn't rate a beer based on what's not there, but I wanted more from this beer than what it gave.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Served in a Hennepin glass procured at the brewery on my last trip to upstate New York.

The pour is classic - golden beer topped with a rich, creamy head that lasts.

Tastes slightly sweet, but with a semi-bitter aftertaste, perfect on a clear summer night. Alcohol taste is present, but far from overpowering at 7.50%. I love the Ommegang Abbey Ale, but this is close to becoming my favorite Ommegang offering.

Side note - if you ever make a pilgrimage to Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame - make the quick jog outside of town and visit this brewery. It's small, but one of the best to visit.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

from the bottle. poured a cloudy golden with a white head that did stay around for very long. aroma when I popped the cap on this I got a big wiff of sour fruit, than after the beer was poured into my glass I more of a yeasty citrus aroma some clove and banana. flavor hops, sugar, bubblegum, sweet citrus, alcohol, pepper. I like this one glad I bought a 6er

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle.

A- A light hazy yellow with a giant white head that minimizes over time but still hangs out

S- Sweet and fruity, someone previously mentioned buttery and I would have to agree

T- Also sweet with a bit of maltiness, bananas

M for a beer with so much head I was expecting an overwhelming carbonatin but it as nice and not overwhelming at all

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - goldish/yellow color. little white head atop and filled out smooth.

Smell - lots of fruit in this beer. i can smell / taste hints of melons and apples among the other flavors.

Taste - little bit of carbonation to mix well with the complexities of the fruitfulness! great combination.

Drinkabilty - drank this out on the croquet court in mid-summer. excellent and very refreshing!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm so impressed by all of Ommegang's beers. They truly have captured the style and spirit of the belgian style beers right here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Hennepin pours a bright golden color with a thick white head that lasts and lasts.

Smells are of sweet vanilla, spicey , earthy, bready barnyard -types. Maybe a potpouri of belgian farmhouse aromas.

Tastes are sweet, buttery, caramel, bready malt mixed with slight banana/clove/alcohol character.

Mouthfeel is medium frothy, syrupy but crisp. Nice carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Saisons are an odd beast, sometimes I think I have the style nailed and then something comes along and turns my brain around. When I think saison, I think grassy, slightly bitter, and dry. Hennepin is a bit dry, but is not very bitter and is definitely not grassy. It is still a delicious beer, with some nice fruit undertones and the perfect amount of carbonation. Smell is a bit one dimensional, and the phenol levels are a bit high, but these are merely small imperfections in an otherwise very drinkable beer. I must say this is not my preferred saison, but it does represent a bargain at six dollars a bottle. (This bottle only cost me three, the local bevmo was clearing them out!)

Overall, heartily recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at O'Brien's yesterday, served in a pint glass. Bright irridescent yellow-amber with 1/2 inch of snow white frothy head. If looks could kill...a very handsome looking light beer, light in color, not in taste.

The smell is very fresh and sweet. Sweet malt, corriander, spicy and fruity, very complex and absolutely smells Belgian.

Very sweet initially, bubblegum, corriander, Belgian candi-sugar, this is really tasty, super fresh and a great representation of this style. I'm thinkin it's the most enjoyable Saison I may have ever tasted.

Medium plus in body with great head retention and the complexity of a fine Belgian, I'm craving one right now. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with a nice amount of alcohol to complement this brew, very enjoyable on-tap, cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Haven't seen Ommegang beers in very many places around my area until just the past few months. Interestingly enough I stopped in a random Dandy Mini mart (typical gas/convenience store) and as I was waiting to pay for my gas at the front I looked to the back of the store. To what to my surprise did I see, but yes, an Ommegang display rack. This surprised me because this place has always been your typical place to find deals on such things as Natty light and Busch. I don't know if it is selling in this locale, but hey, God bless them for trying.

Point is their beer is starting to pop-up everywhere in the Southern Tier not just in the better beer stores, and that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, about the beer. Although it wasn't my first time with a Hennepin saison and certainly not the last, it is the first time I've reviewed it. I purchased a bomber at the store around the corner from my home and chilled it for a couple of hours before consuming.

At first pour the frothy pure white head was abundant and survived throughout the drinking of the beer covering the hazy straw color of the liquid below. As for smell, I don't have the greatest of ability in this area, but to be sure there was nothing in the slightest bit "off "about this beer, and it was at least pleasant in that respect.

The taste had a very light sweetness to it and a definite clove, corriander, citrus undertone. Although it has a 7.5 abv it seemed much lighter in mouthfeel, something a "gulpper" (like I can sometimes be) should be wary of on a hot summer afternoon.

I definitely see myself buying this beer more often now that it is readily available. It is a great summer beer that is light and refreshing. AND at $4.99 retail, not a bad price for a very high quality product.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

This is an exceptional beer from the get go.
From the 750mL corked bottle, to the pop of the cork itself it screams class. It pours a hazy golden-yellow with a thick, rich white head with some pretty impressive lacing. The head sticks around for a bit, too. The nose is hoppy, citrusy and spicy. Some fruitiness there, too. The first sip is like a slap across the face with flavor. Beautiful hops and malt with undertones of citrus and severe spice. It finishes smooth with a lingering bitterness and a dash of spice. Truly a great beer. Though I haven't tried any other saisons, I venture to guess this is a very good example of one.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle, this beer had a hazy golden color with a nice frothy head. Aroma was spicy and citrusy with some malt mixing in. Taste was very spicy and peppery. As the beer warmed I could taste yeasty flavors, some sourness and a lot of orange/citrus. This beer had a light body and was very refreshing. No alcohol flavors were apparent. This is another well crafted(and well priced)beer from Ommegang and one that I plan on drinking a lot of this summer.

25th Birthday Beer!!!
This review is from a fresh 750mL bottle. I poured aggressively enough (into an inviting cognac glass) to produce an inch thick head, which lingered for a bit and then dissipated aside to a small ring around the edge of the glass. Color is a beautiful hazy golden-orange with fine bubbles constantly breaching the surface of the beer. This really gives it a lively quality, which is further enhanced by the earthy overtones in the smell and taste.

Initial smell is of candied malts, apple, banana, orange, and straw. Mouthfeel is what I would expect...the bottle conditioning gives a delightful tingling in the mouth, and the slickness and moderate body lets the beer waft across the tastebuds very easily.

Shit...I haven't even gotten to taste yet? :)
Taste is very balanced. Honey and light fruits hit the buds initially, followed by a grassy taste/smell, which is accompanied by a variety of phenols to give some warmth to the taste. Finish is the slightest hop bitterness. It is just enough to balance the upfront dry malts, sugars, and fruit flavors. It really is a melding of many different flavors. Simply ravishing. I absolutely can't believe this is brewed just a couple hundred miles from my house. I have never tasted an American beer like this.

Oh...my. This beer is devilishly drinkable. I can hardly detect the alcohol, as it is well hidden amongst the spices. A 750mL is enough to send me to a happy place, as if the beer weren't enough. I'm not very familiar with Saisons, but all I can say for certain is that this beer is decidedly Belgian, and at $6/750mL, I will buy it again and as often as I can get hold of it. If you love beer, try this beer.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 750ml. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer pours to a very pale yellow color with a large foamy white head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Bready, yeasty smell with background notes of malt, banana & hops.

T: The taste starts of malty with a flavor of banana, follows with a little bit of hops, then alcohol warmth. Not as bready as you smell and no after-taste. As the beer warms you get a little bit more hops but still not overpowering.

M: Very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation and a clean finish.

D: It goes down easy but I just didn’t like the taste enough to drink a lot of it.

I tried this beer at a tasting and thought it was pretty good. Now that I’m drinking a a whole 750ml bottle, I’m not liking it as much. Just being honest.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle in to a goblet. Pour carefully as this one produces plenty of head, approximately 1.5". Colors are pale yellow, orange and amber. Nice lacing from the long-lasting head.

Aromas are yeasty and dominated by spice. Coriander, nutmeg, citrus and hops. It would be a great air freshener for my car.

Highly effervescent mouthfeel that is immediately refreshing. Definitely lots of spice in the moutfhfeel. Flavors of exactly what I smelled. Lots of citrus and coriander spice. The yeast lacks but there are some hints of vanilla. I would expect just a little more vanilla and banana clove flavors from the yeast in a saison. The brew is best served cold and picks up a few pungent flavors if left to warm too much. However, too cold and you miss the beauty. At least go for the four pack and experiment.

Overall, a great example of a saison lacking some of the features of the best saisons available. You won't be disappointed.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang