Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This brew pours a translucent amber with a decent head that fades without lacing the glass too much.

The smell is a little pungent and peppery.

The taste is pretty incredible. There are flavors of lemon and tart fruits. Pepper and spice with a bite of hops. Quite a bit of complexity with a sharp mouthfeel. The drinkablity is unreal. It is as great on a summer afternoon as it is on a cold winter day. I can honestly say I have never regretted opening one of these up. An incredible beer.

A great saison, and I would heartily reccomend it.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Looks- Pours hazy yellow, with a golden shine when backlit. The offwhite bubbly head eases down to lace rings after a quick exit from the bottle.

Nose- Hearty yeast, with hints of orange zest. Not to mention the ever popular funk that makes this style so unique. A little bit of pepper aroma in there, too.

Taste&Mouthfeel- Peppery spice with a dash of cinnamon. Fruity sweetness and a doughy yeast presence all combine to make an excellent beer. Lightly carbonated and easily drank.

Overall, really one of the best beer experiences I've had in awhile. The total package. it does everything perfectly stylewise, but still remains extremely accessible. From the Elk Grove BevMo.

Pours an opaque straw with lots of head and carbonation (though this may have been because of how it was stored). The foam leaves a nice lacing and clumps well. The bouquet is sweet and earthy: scents of coriander, bread dough, and pepper.

Similarly, the flavor itself is a wonderful mix of sweet and dry. The initial taste of pear was followed by a bitter dryness and then a smoothing sweetness, which was dominated by coriander and citrus flavors. In some ways, I was surprised by how sweet this was compared to other saisons I've had...at times I could have been convinced that this was a witbier/saison hybrid. But, the consistent dryness and earthy flavors (nuts, leaves) in the aftertaste keep this grounded in the realm of the farmhouse, albeit a slightly sweeter and more light-bodied one than I've
experienced in the past.

The balance and light-body made this very refreshing and quite drinkable. A delicious beer all-around.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, corked and caged

Pours a nice straw yellowed hue and makes an inch of densely bubbled white head into my petrus goblet. Sweet aroma, filled with banana, coriander & cloves. Sweet bready flavor with notes of light fruits, peppery spice, medium hop bittering, banana. Bit of alcoholic bite. I really am enjoying this. Mouthfeel opens with a peppery carbonation but as the bottle warms it becomes velvety smooth and finishes dry. This is an awesome saison considering how easy it is to get. Definitely will be a staple in my beer fridge.

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours hazy golden with a huge white head tat leaves perfect lace.

Banana esters dominate the smell, also some hearty yeast notes.

Lightly spicy flavor, huge ester notes. Leaves a rich yeastiness behind.

Full wheat body, very nice, drinkable food pairing beer.

So this is the much vaulted Saison -- I don't hate it. I specify that because in the past I have found spiced beers unpalatable, and I had been specifically avoiding this style for that reason. Evidently, when spices are placed the in hands of a master brewer, they don't suck.
This beer pours like Dreadnaught, a hazy straw colour with a generous head. It smells, like a beer. By that I mean, it smells similar to a variety of continental pils, a pleasant smell indeed.
The taste follows the smell. It is simple and subtle. It actually reminds me of a Grolsch; however there is an ethereal taste, something I can't place my finger on. Similar to bubblegum, actually. That's good.
Ohhh, as it warms some more flavours come out. It loses the Grolsch quality and grains a granular flavour. Not bad. Is that corriander? Not sure. I'm not one to pick out spices. But, yeah, this is a good beer.

Oh wow. 7.7% is what it says on the bottle. Well hidden, well hidden indeed.

Makes me actually want to try other Saison-style beers. Maybe Belgium makes something worth consuming other than french fries. . .

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Popped a bottle with my "Turkey Day" dinner.

Poured a bright golden yellow. Nice thick foamy white head, lots of carbonation.

Very nice fruity smells of lemon and clove and a breadlike scent.

Crisp, very clean light texture. Sweet honey flavor followed by a yeasty lemon tartness in the finish. Very nice smooth and drinkable. Head reduces to fizzy bubbles as I drink. No overpowering flavors so it complimented my meal very well.

Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

750 ml bottle. Poured into a flute, which seemed appropriate.

Not sure if it was the glassware choice, but this really looked like champagne. Light in color with a large white head. Extrememely effervescent - again, like champagne. Smells nice - very rustic.

I admit to not being such a fan of the saison style, but I will do my best to rate this beer objectively. It went down very easy, but I felt the fruit was a bit too tart for my taste. Pears, pineapple, bananas, etc. are all very apparant, however I felt none of the sweetness of the fruit was incorporated. The aftertaste was very much like a dry champagne. Goes down very easy.

All in all, I think it is a fine example of the style, but certainly not my thing. But if you love saisons, you have to give this one a try.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 750 ml brown, corked, bottle into an Orval Chalice.

Appearance is orangish-golden color, and very clear. Abundantly bubbly carbonation, and head is a thin, sparkly, off-white, pinkish layer.

Aroma is malt, citrus fruit, some floral aspects. Very mild and pleasing aroma.

Taste is mild and pleasing as well, a quality drinker. Hard to believe this is brewed in new york, as it screams Import.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Big bottle with champagne-style cork. I'm especially happy about this beer because when I got it at Julio's it came with a great Hennepin glass. Pay me off with free beer stuff - hell yes!

But really. This is a beautiful golden wheat color. Misty throughout. Clean white head was big and vibrant but then settled down into a splotchy layer across the top. Big time lacing.

Nose is warm summer fruit - bananas and peaches are in there - with a slight tinge of allspice and cardamom. Crisp and light, but with that sweet candy edge that always seems to be in the Belgians.

Again with the fruit aspect in the palate, but hop bitterness eases its way throughout. Honestly the taste and the smell are tied very closely together in this one. Much of the character that I got in the nose is echoed with equal subtlety on the tongue. There's a bit of a lingering bitterness and alcohol essence in the nose after a few seconds.

Smooth and creamy with a light bubbly character.

Very good. I'm looking forward to trying more of this style.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

A very nice product...now this beer has a head on its shoulders, starting to three fingers and leading to full thick lace with an island.
The colour is a very pale yellow and slightly murky.
Very lively, large bubbled carbonation with a citrus like scent and a whiff of the skunk.The body is a medium plus.
A light lemon start, a little yeasty with a semi-sweet malt like finish. A lengthy aftertaste matching the cycle of the taste.
A very dry mouthfeel due to the high ABV.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Following the instructions on the bottle, I poured this one according to the directions and was rewarded with a large, rich head of tight bubbles that extended above my La Chouffe glass's lip but never spilled over the side.

The champagne mouthfeel was nice, but a little thin for my liking. The taste was of sweet and citrus-y fruits...some lemons, but more prominently pinneapples and apricots. Even pears seemed distantly there. Flavors take their time emerging, so you have to sip a decent bit to appreciate its complexity.

There was something about the beer overall that made its flavor profile seem timid and polite rather than subtle and well blended. Although I enjoyed the flavors, I felt that I was looking for them rather than letting them call attention to themselves.

This is a really nice beer, but it doesn't have the stones to really assert itself. The citrus bite is a little too strong for me to laud it as being highly smooth and drinkable. The beer is on the fence between a Belgian-style flavor bomb and a mellowed-out, easily-quaffable brew.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a straw-yellow hue with a gargantuan frothy head. Large bubbles stream from the bottom of my pint glass to join their brethren in the foam that caps this beautiful libation. Looks almost champagne-like.

Huge citrus smells hit me in the face as soon as I poured it. I didn't even need to stick my nose close to the glass. Extremely pungent, but in a good way. Hops join the lemony citrus in the nose. Smells crisp, refreshing, and clean.

This brew is amazingly complex... the initial taste is one of hops and lemon, but add on to that a sort off outdoorsy dirty-in-a-good-way flavour. Hints of alcohol peek occasionally through, but only for a moment. The taste, too, has some semblences of champagnes, and some wine-like qualities as well.

Medium bodied, yet tight and crisp, as I would expect from a saison. Extremely refreshing. Glad I pulled this one out to review before it got too cold... I think it would have lost some of its appeal (though not too much).

Extremely drinkable beer, if you can handle the 7.7% abv. Wonderful spring/summer beer... glad this is finally available in NC, as it is certainly one of the best deals for the money out there.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Decided to treat myself to a Belgian tonight to enjoy Monday Night Football with. This is my first shot at an Ommegang but I'm pretty sure it won't be my last.
Appearance features a cloudy, pale golden color with a thick, soapy looking raft of head and decorative lacing that lasts. The best part of the nose is the citrus and other subtle fruit interests that predominate the clove and spices.
The taste is light but very sharp and includes roasted malt and a smooth bubbly entry that eventually gives way to a crisp finish that reminds you this is actually a beer and not a fine wine. High in alcohol flavor too but very nicely shadowed by fruit and peppery flavors.
This beer is really good, probably a little too good for MNF but I'm definitely not complaining. Guess I'll need to investigate this Saison thing..

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

This has been my favorite beer for the last 4-5 years, so of course I have a high opinion of it. The most striking thing is the carbonation and head. It actually looks like someone is pumping bubbles into each glass, it is so lively. It is light in color, but cloudy. Once you get beyond the look the taste is exceptional and it is truly an outstanding drinkable beer.

I prefer heavier darker beers in winter and lighter during the warmer months, but I enjoy Hennepin 12 months of the year. This beer is the benchmark from which I compare all beers.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a rather clear buttery golden color with a frothy ultra-white head.

The smell is definitely fruity (apple and pear) but with the characteristic Belgian-style malt/yeast earthiness that makes me think of nuts.

Taste is not as sweet as I expected based on the smell (and my limited experience with saisons, which I thought were sweeter). The earthy characteristics shine through instead. Alcohol taste is present more than I expected, but not out of balance. As drinking continues, the pear flavor is the one that persists.

Feels creamy but light on the tongue. As I get toward the end, wow(!), I realize how much I am enjoying this beer. While I wasn't initially floored, the great balance in this beer makes it a great drink!

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

The pour is an off orangish yellow color with a cloudy appearance. The head did not pour out too fluffy but did last a good amount of time. The lacing also was good.

The smell is no doubt a Belgium. A sweet malt and sugary aroma. Hints of lighter spice and it reminded me of a Belgian wit more then a saison. Some fruity notes remind me of oranges and lighter citrus notes.

The taste is a light for a saison. There is some lighter tart, almost apple flavor and citrus zest, but not really noticeable for what I would consider for a saison. A good sweet aroma and a Belgian yeast taste are most noticeable. At the back end there is a light candy taste. The tart flavor lasts a while for the aftertaste but is limited. There is some spice flavor, cloves and white pepper. Reminds me of a Belgium wit.

There is a higher then normal carbonation and the body is light. The higher carbonation does bring out more zest in the back end though. One thing to note is there is no hint of the higher alcohol. Sneaky.

Overall I would have liked more of a tart flavor but that taste is good and a very enjoyable beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pale gold in color with a 2" inch head that last.
Mild fruit and spice in the nose.
Smooth and balanced in the mouth. Flows from sweet to bitter. Taste like a Grannysmith apple. Dry in a good way.
Very drinkable higher gravity beer.
Will be buying it bottled very soon.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

My first farmhouse saison, and I've been told this is a very good representation of the style.

Pale gold brew with ample frothy white head. A few towers of rapidly rising bubbles add to a creamy film that will stick around for a bit. Smells yeasty "funky" the same way most Belgian ales smell to me.

Malty and dry with some definite hop bittering. Some tangy sourness and that yumm Belgian-style yeastiness, with herbal and earthy notes. Very tasty American brew. Light body with fizzy-frothy carbonation.

Tasty and quaffable, nothign stood out extraordinary, but I'd drink it again.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hennepin is one of my favorite farm house ales. The pour is smooth with a great white head forming almost immediately if poured into a fluted glass. The head is creamy and stays for the duration while lacing down the glass. The beer is a cloudy honey color and the bottle conditioning adds an interesting pattern to the final pour. The smell is a bit sour with great malt notes and yeast esters. The taste is exceptional; it is a tad sour but only in balance not in excess. The malty sweetness creeps up slowly as the aftertaste fades into complex notes of barley and yeast. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and this beer is very drinkable. This is my favorite beer from Ommegang. Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours with a nice billowing white head, rising to 2 1/2 fingers, settling down to 1/8", laces all the way with the glass. The smell of this one is sweet, mostly malt with some fruity hints and a bit of alcohol and floral hops. The taste is very nice, fruit and a lot of malt up front a bit of grain in the middle and a nice hop kick at the end. The feel of this one is the best I have had, like liquid velvet. Smooth but robust and full, creamy but not overbearing, with a well balanced carbonation that tingles just right...very well done. Overall this is one that will take permanate residence in my chiller. A nice .750 to have on hand for nights with friends and nights at home.

Review edit...I tried this one initally over chilled. As the beer warms it unlocks hidden smells and flavors that are not present when cooler in temp. There is a sweeter more pronounced body and more hop character when warm, the boquet also opens up to a more spicy oroganic nose, with a definite yeast presence that envokes a bananna aroma that should make chaquita jealous.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

The thing I like most about this beer is that my friends and family don't give a God awful look when they try it, unlike most high gravity beers that are filtering into this post Pop the Cap state. It's enjoyable in every fashion but does not scream Wow in my opinion. Light and floral, the hoppiness is not overwhelming and is easy enough to consume (even though a glassful is still sitting in my fridge two days later). Cheaper compared to the other Ommegang choices available here.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance is a light yellow - thick head lasts throughtout along with lacing. Very appealing.
Aroma is fruity with hints of malt and and a slight hint of alcohol
Taste is superior - hints of malt and grapefruit. Alcohol is present, but not overbearing at all for a beer with 7%+ abv.
Mouthfeel is also superior - carbonation is present but not overbearing.
Overall this is a superior American made Belgian Ale. 750ml for $3.88 at the corner grocer is a no brainer for an alternative to anything else they have to offer. Upstate NY Rocks!

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful hazy, honey color with a nice Duvel-esque head that sticks around.

Smell: I can't pick up much here. Some yeast and maybe hints of vanilla?

Taste: Nice, big floral/citrus taste up front that fades into some delicious Belgian yeast and nice, clean finish with the alcohol making it's presence known. Not too sweet and not too dry.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not too fizzy. Light-to-medium bodied brew that has a clean finish.

Drinkability: For a stronger brew, this one goes down relatively easy. I'll finish this bottle for sure.

A nice, well-balanced offering from Ommegang. Very similar to Duvel, but more complex and fruity. For the price, I'll buy this again.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 750ml.

Appearance: Nice, crystal clear (was careful to leave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle) with a slighly orangeish copper color. Beautiful, fluffy head that stood almost 1 1/2 inches over the top of my glass. Head lasted a good long time and even when faded, left a good 1/4 inch on top of my beer.

Aroma; wonderful bittersweet aroma, somewhat honeylike but more like caramel just before it hits the burnt stage (its lost a lot of sweetness, but hasn't become overly bitter yet). Another whiff and I realize what it is. It is the smell of those candied almonds you can buy at fairs, but it is faint, just barely there. It's that moment when the wind brings just the essence of it your way, for just a second then it is gone. Also the aromas of lemon, yeast, and raw bread. Really enjoyable and very complex.

Taste: After all those aromas it would be easy to be let down by this beer, but I'm not. All those essences follow through in the flavor. What really comes through though is a lemon like tartness then flavors of malt, spices (clove and the slightest hint of cinnamon), yeast (in the form of raw bread dough) and ending with a slight tannic dryness similar to eating apple peels. After a minute or two the aftertaste develops into spice again, this time with black pepper predominating. There is also just the slightest hint of warmth from the higher alcohol content. I really love the complexity of this beer. It's got a lot of things going for it. The only drawback is that first initial drink. I found it to be just a little on the tart side, but overall this beer rocks.

There are a lot of things going on in this beer, so I don't know that this is a beer that you would drink glass after glass of. It could become fatiguing. Also with a slightly higher alcohol content 1 or 2 bottles and I would be ready to switch for the day, but only to come back again tomorrow.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang