Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Served from a corked 750 ml bottle it appears a golden hue with a vibrant white head leaving trickled lace a picture perfect Belgium style ale. Aroma has some of those farm house ale characteristics of spices and yeast notes very nice along with huge tones of malt sweetness, underlying honey notes and the phenols are also producing the fruit tones characteristic of any fine Belgium ale. So, far simply amazing I love it. Taste light trickled malt, this is the perfect combination of sweetness, light hops, and exotic spices and full rich tones with a nice finish of alcohol on the palate. The mouthfeel has the consistency of a light syrup highly carbonated just full enough to coat the palate and tickle the senses. Drinkability is just wow, I could treat this like a session beer until I tried to stand up. Really too drinkable and desireable to approach too often save it as a treat. Best thing about it is the reasonable price for such a great beer, classic!

WVbeergeek, Jun 14, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Corked 750ml bottle

Appearance: After the cork all but forces itself out of the bottle, this beer pours a highly carbonated, pale honey body crowned by a massive, foamy off-white head. The head retains amazingly well, as it shrinks only a bit in the center, leaving a thick lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is stunning...I could just smell this for quite a while! It has a wonderful balance of light fruitiness, spices, honey, hops, earth, musty yeast, and a slight phenolic note. Wow...

Taste: The flavor starts out with a sweet bite, then opens up into a brilliant balance of the following: light fruit, peppery spiciness, raw honey, bitter and biting hops, medicinal phenolics, musty and bready yeast, coriander and ginger, lemon and orange peel, and a faint banana flavor. Brings forth phenolic burps... Breathtaking...

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, with a tantalizing smooth and tongue-tingling, bottle-conditioned mouthfeel. It's like sex in liquid form for the tongue...

Drinkability: Just shy of outstanding. The only thing that could stop me from drinking a lot of this is the strength. You don't notice how strong it is because you're too damn busy being seduced by it.

Unquestionably top notch...why the hell did it take so long for me to review this? It's proof that the best Belgian-style beers don't always come from Belgium. It's also a bargain at $4 for a 750ml bottle.

MJR, Jun 12, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer pours a light gold color with a lovely white head that stands tall. The aroma is exceptional. I love belgian beers like this one. There is so much going on in here; bitter orange peels, corriander, etc. It has a sort of banana aroma. I can't say enough about it. The taste is also good. It rings of spices right from the first sip. The elevated alcohol level (7.5%) also lets you know that this is a beer to enjoyed, not slammed down. This would be great with some gourmet food. The mouthfeel is tremendously smooth for a bottle conditioned ale. It goes down smooth and is very drinkable. A great choice anytime. In my opinion, their best regular offering, only edged out by their limited edition Three Philosophers.

WesWes, Jun 11, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

assurbanipaul, May 28, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This fine brew poured a dark coppery blond, with a humongous sticky white head with amazing staying power. Forget lacing on the glass, this one left big clumps and gobs behind. Truly amazing head, bigger and fluffier than anything else I've tried. (I looked in the bottle for a nitro widget, none there...) The head was obviously inspired by the beer's namesake, Fr. Hennepin, who was the first European to see Niagara Falls. The aromas were abundant, malt, clove, leather and tobacco. The taste was mostly malt and clove, that faded to grapefruit. Faint notes of honey, caramel, and pine. The mouthfeel was creamy, and had (truly amazing, considering the massive head) light carbonation. The finish was very mellow, setting me gently down to earth with a smooth, mild hoppiness. Wow! What a trip! Not like a barrel over the Falls, more like the Tunnel of Love with your best girlfriend...

WaltTrombone, May 27, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A good bit cheaper than all the other Belgians I picked up this weekend, and still pretty good. Typical head, thick, fine, almost white. I broke my regular glass and was forced to drink from a green glass so I can't comment on the color or clarity (guess I need to get some more). The aroma was fruity and hoppy, maybe a bit spicy. Taste was great, ranging from sweet, to tart, to a bitterness that seemed to grow stronger with each glass. Nice lacing, and the head persisted to the bitter end, of course it didn't take long to polish off this beer. While there are better Belgians out there I must say this is a steal at $4-5 for 750ml...at that price its worth it just for shooting the cork at your friends.

Sixpack595, May 21, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Originally sampled 19 January 2002. Although the style says it is a 'Saison', this reminds me of the white beers I had in Belgium (like Hoegaarden). The crisp taste is wonderful. It didn't have much head, but it was very pleasing to drink. I'm glad that I can get Ommegang's beers easily in my area

jcalabre, May 19, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

This brew poured a large white foamy long lasting head. The lacing on the sides of my glass was so-so. It had a sweet lemony aroma to it in my opinion. The carbonation was seen rising to the top. The body was gold in color. There was no bitterness noted with this particular brew. It was a smooth tasting brew to me which is much to my liking. I would definitely drink this one again.

hotstuff, May 15, 2003
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured a light golden color,for some reason didnt get much head at all maybe and older bottle?Smell was fresh and amd very floral.The first thing I got on the palate was a spiciness followed by some fruity,yeasty estures.There is a definent citrusy kinda lemony taste rounding out on this one.A really well made ale but maybe not for me so much,but it still deserves a pretty good raiting.

oberon, May 13, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

A light golden or honey color with a very thick and huge head, which sticks in sugary patches throughout, I love those sugary patches! The aroma is of fresh fruit and flowers, quite nice. The initial chewy and sugary and alcohol combo is brilliant, some pepper and banana can be detected. Towards the finish, some hops and fresh fruit, a dry and hearty finish, very warming, and this is brewed in my home state of New York? Incredible, awesome, add your adjective here, deserves to be a top 10 beer.

GeoffRizzo, May 09, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

This my favorite selection from Brewery Ommegang, and one of my favorite brews to be found anywhere.

Pale, golden color with a slight amber glow. Huge, fluffy, white head sits on the Hennepin throne (Duvel-esque, no?). Smells very floral and slightly citric. The taste is quite hoppy and fruity, notably apple, pear and banana. This is quite a crisp beer, with lively carbonation in the mouth. Finishes dry. Alcohol very nicely hidden.

A nearly perfect beer.

philipt, Apr 26, 2003
3.95/5  rDev -5%

I'm surprised by the maltiness of this ale. Has a terrific sweet malt flavor. Looks great in the glass, cloudy honey appearance with a great Belgian-like head of froth. Slight citrus aroma and good hop character. Also reminds me of some German beers I've had. I find this very unique as with many Belgian recreations. Nice Ale!

BierReise, Apr 25, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Hennepin is honey-colored, with a sizable creamy white head. It has a cloudy appearance in the glass, but it's not so cloudy so as to obscure the steady stream of bubbles rising toward the head. The nose, one of my all-time favorites, presents strewn hay, citrus (pineapple) and a faint mustiness that seems appropriate for a farmhouse/Saison ale. At first the flavor is sweet, with a slightly tangy sidenote, but mid-palate the sweetness is balanced nicely by a noticeable, peppery hop presence. Just a hint of banana shows up for the finish.

This is a hoppy beer, as the label suggests ("pale, hoppy, crisp and rustic"), but it is by no means strongly or assertively hoppy. The complex flavors balance nicely. And a crisp mouthfeel makes this a refreshing brew, especially after a day working (or relaxing!) in the spring sun.

jward, Apr 21, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Definately one of the better Saison style brews I've had, especially considering it is made in the United States. Hennepin's strongest characteristics begin to present themselves as the beer airs out and warms up a bit from its bottly confines. At first I found the bouquet to be a bit on the sour side and thought that I may have bought a skunked bottle of Hennepin, but after a few minutes I began to discover its delecate honey and hops tones. Definately a sipping beer, probably good on a hot day (I had it indoors on a 35 degree day). Overall, another excellent BC offering from Cooperstown.

ChrisBowers, Apr 11, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I should mention at the risk of being ridiculed by fellow BA's, that I don't care much for some Belgium Abbey Farmhouse style ales, as far as beer goes. This is an exception. It's the overly acidic clove flavor that separates this style with every other style of beer. And Hennepin adheres to, and in fact, exemplifies the "Abbey Bottle-Conditioned" Ale, sans the overly cloved taste. Cloudy gold, medium body, high hops, strong yeast clove flavor, earthy, fizzy effervescence, some citrus notes, noticeable alcohol, nothing subtle and a fine white lasting head with plenty of Belgian lace. Is this not a description of the Abbey style? And aren't you hungry for strong cheese? Nice stuff!

Edit: 10/31/04 - My tastes for the Abbey-style ale have evolved. I like them more than I once did. I can't drink more than a few at a sitting because they create an acid reflux problem for me. But Abbeys and Trappists are always a welcome treat.

BeerResearcher, Apr 08, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Cork popped out of the 750 ml bottle and flew across the room. Poured in the glass and had to wait for minutes for the head to dissipate so that I could reach the beer. Hazy golden in appearance. Smell is wonderful - lemon and bubble gum? First sip reveals grassy, earthy flavor and on the dry side. I got a nice aftertaste that seemed honey like in sweetness with some sourness. I read a review after my initial notes that indicated a salty cheese flavor that I agree with. I also agree with remarks that this would pair well with food. I wish I had some cheese to try out with it.

mjohn27603, Mar 29, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured out a pale and hazed yellow color. light carbonation with a creamy white head that thinned out quickly but left a nice lace.
I got some sour green apple along with a caramel sweet maltiness
from the aroma. Medium bodied, slightly spicy, slightly yeasty and drinkable. The sourness was pleasant on the tongue. A nice beer.

pezoids, Mar 26, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Farm in a bottle! Yee haw!

So this puppy poured a gold color with a cloudy tinge from the yeast. Had a fair sized white head with thin spotty lace. Carbonation was furious, as it was fun to watch bubbles of all different sizes fly up my chalice glass.

The nose, well, its a farm: cloves, grass, wet hay, a little honey-toned background, and some serious yeast funk and whispy phenols. The smell is amazing, but is also quite hard to pin down. It was like a summertime meal, like roasted wheat and corn mashed with some wild mushrooms, cooked with butter and leeks and then left out in the country breeze.

Taste was like a pale ale with a funky character from the hops and unique yeast. Besides the slightly spritzy feel from the carbonation, the mouthfeel and taste was buttery, creamy, oily with notes of a salty cheese lightly playing on my tongue. The barley-ish base was great, as you didn't really taste the hops too much until the end of the finish, wherein the oily wash turned over into a soft dryness in the back and roof of my mouth. Overall, a character-ful swig that becomes almost wine-like after opening and a second glass (or more...)

This beer is made for food. Me and the foxylady munched on some salami that went extremely well with it - I imagine any spring or summery picnic or dinner would go fabulous with this. Can't wait to woo my wine drinking family over to beerdom with this brew this summer. Ommegang has hit the nail on the head in terms of a saison/farmhouse/bier de garde kind of ale.

nomad, Mar 21, 2003

750 mL bottle
This was a damn fine beer! Another pick up from my escapades in Cooperstown. This poured a beautiful golden color with a marshmellowy white head. The smell was sweet like candied fruit with some rounded maltiness. The taste was crisp, smooth a very dry with some incredible carmamel flavors and notes of slight grape as well. I cannot praise this highly enough. I can see why they call this a folk beer. I would definitely drink 4-5 of these on a hot day which is exactly what this day was. However, with the increased alcohol content I will have to limit it to two.

GreatPondBrewer, Mar 17, 2003
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Cloudy straw with a big pillow of white foam on top. The lace remains on the glass for some time. Aroma is mostly of sweet fruits, but there is a solid yeast smell in there too.

It is very tingly and crisp. A very refreshing brew. I had it on the first pretty warm day of the year, and it definitely hit the spot. I could see it being even more enjoyable during the heat of summer. Sweet malts provide most of the flavor, and then you get a doughy finish. The yeast comes through in the aftertaste, and then a slight hint of alcohol.

ElGuapo, Mar 16, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle at the Esplanade Bier Markt. This was their last bottle as they had just changed the beer menu for the spring/summer season. Offered to me for free for that reason. Served in a matching Hennepin glass (which I also obtained gratis).

A chill-hazed deeper golden colour in the body, with a fairly large white head that doesn't want to leave. In that respect it's certainly Belgian. Nose brings the smells of a hay barn during baling season (someting I'm familiar with), matching mustiness, some esters. Not that the hay barn dominates, but it's there.

The flavour is like the denizens of a barn in spring. Flavour is musty, some hop pepper plays around with lemon and grassy flavours. Alcohol chases them, cavorting, but never roughhousing. Young calves, baby horses, barn kittens, all delighting in their freedom and the spring.

A delightful beer, the rawness of it entices me like the less-than-perfect recordings from a indie CD. This beer hasn't been polished, the rough edges are still there, and that's what makes it so great. It's a beer to drink and enjoy. Again and again.... and again.

the42ndtourist, Mar 13, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours straw-golden with a slight haze, forming a large (depending on how you pour it), though quickly dissipating white head with an airy, sea-foam consistency, perched atop large bubbles. Carbonation is moderately strong. Aroma is highly yeasty with lots of phenolic cloves and banana. Hops and malts are barely discernable. No funk, esters, diacetyl or other fermentation by-products noted. Mouthfeel is fizzy and spritzy with a light body. Retention and lacing are adequate. A simple, but relatively clean beer....cloves, bananas, autolyzed yeast, wheat spiciness, some well-hidden (in taste) alcohol, with an isopropyl-like dry citrus finish and watery mouthfeel. As it warms, a grainy pale-malt note comes out in the finish and as the carbonation dissipates, the mouthfeel improves. There is still that metallic, ruddy tang (bad water?) that I tasted in the Ommegang, but thankfully this doesn't taste like ass. Adding the yeast and letting it warm made it infinitely more drinkable. Somewhat inferior, but similar to Blanche de Chambly from Unibroue but with a more potent alcohol bite. A 750ml bottle gave me a pleasant buzz.

Mitchster, Mar 10, 2003
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Aroma is tart and hoppy, and it forms one of the most beautiful, large-bubbled, hot-white heads one is apt to find in a beer, with good retention and lacing. The beer itself is a cloudy dark yellow.

Very highly carbonated (witness the head, of course), with a sharp, tangy, gingery, peppery snap in the mouth. Brisk and hoppy, thought I detected a little saltiness to go with the massive pepper, slightly gritty and more than a little sour.

A very complicated beer that definitely improves with a wide-mouthed glass and a little warmth.

Darkale, Mar 09, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Another I had heard great things about but had anticipated not liking all that much...WRONG!!..this is truly a great beer....citrus and cloves on the nose...pours a pretty clear gold with a big frothy white head...as I pour the bottom of the beers chucks of shit start floating around and get caught inthe head...COOL!! Body is about medium in thickness....very very drinkable...flavor includes sweet lemon drops...honey...cloves...juicy oranges...and some grassy hop notes develop along with a very slight alcohol spiciness on the long finish...this is a dandy...I want more!!!

ZAP, Mar 06, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Had heard so much about this beer decided to give it a go..came ina 12oz Amber coloured bottle ..with loads of useful info on the back and sides of the label.
Poured a nice murky orange colour with a smallish pure white head which dissapates to a fine lace.
The aroma of this beer is out of this world really pungent fruits and spices well mixed..i smell cherry, plum even some banana.. strawberry wow every time i smell this i get a different aroma great stuff.
The tase of this beer is almost as good as the aroma.. again i get cherry..tingles on the back of the tongue leaving some hop bitterness thats well hidden..then as it goes down the throat I feel the alcoholic warmth..dang i can still taste this beer a full 1 minute after i have swallowed.
Very easy on the mouth, the carbonation seems just right.
Very drinkable but i couldnt manage more than 4 or 5 in a sitting..
WOW what can I say? a great beer

Reidrover, Mar 01, 2003