Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,542
3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium Globe.

A: Pours gold, and hazy from yeast remnants...bright white soapy head if a few fingers tall and retains decently...ok lacing as well.

S: Full of Belgian notes, can't mistake that; funk, distant rotten fruit, barnyard, banana, grain, faint white grape and malt sweetness.

T: Follows the nose, funk light musty quality, Belgian yeast, light fruity ester quality with phenolic notes, grains, light spices...clove & pepper.

MF: Light full with fuller carbonation, soft and right in line for the style.

O: Its a decent saison, but it seems run-of-the-mill for something that gets so much love. Still, it is a solid example of the style and easily drinkable. (702 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden yellow ale with a huge bubbly white head with above standard retention. Aroma of pear and lemon with some distinguishable yeast. Taste is really hoppier then most Saison I have tried with a dry finish. Body is quite full and spice mix is interesting but could have been more accentuated. Very interesting take on the style. (353 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

My first Farmhouse Ale ever so bear with me.

A: Fat head with larger bubbles that isn't going anywhere soon. Very bright yellow with a tint of orange. But a tad weak.

S: Very sweet toasty malt. A bit of cloves and very faint banana. Some fruity notes as well.

T: Pretty tart. Really reminds me of a Strong Belgian Pale Ale. Is there not much difference? Lemon lime with a smooth caramel malt likeness on the back end. Really tangy stuff. I like it.

M: Seems common for the style and in style I mean Strong Belgian Pale Ale as that is what it feels like to me.

D: A bit too overcarbonated for my liking.

May have this about 5 degrees too cold so chances are I will like it more as it warms. Overall I do like this beer and would go for it again. Still can't stop thinking of Duvel as I drink it. I really need to research how close to the style it is.

D: Just seems too tart for me to handle drinking a lot of this. Almost puckering. (942 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice, pours a pale yellow with a fluffy foamy head that doesn't hang around to long no lace detected. Smell is pretty good bubbleguym, alchohol, clove and some ripe fruit. Taste is bit mild, alchohol not deteced and very refreshing taste of earth notes with a bit smoke character to this. Overall not bad I enjoyed this with some smoked gouda cheese, I believe the smoke character really intensified with the taste of the cheese. Good style that goes down pretty smooth. (501 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy, golden orange. The two-finger head persisted.

Aroma: Not a strong aroma: Sweet and funk with some hops.

Taste: This beer has a fresh taste even as it is sour as characteristic of this style. Also has some malty sweetness and slight hops. The sourness and hops linger.

Mouthfeel: Lively on the tongue with a slightly biting but pleasant level of carbonation.

Overall: This is a refreshing beer. It is good though not my favorite saison, but I'd have it again. (499 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

My first farmhouse saison, and I've been told this is a very good representation of the style.

Pale gold brew with ample frothy white head. A few towers of rapidly rising bubbles add to a creamy film that will stick around for a bit. Smells yeasty "funky" the same way most Belgian ales smell to me.

Malty and dry with some definite hop bittering. Some tangy sourness and that yumm Belgian-style yeastiness, with herbal and earthy notes. Very tasty American brew. Light body with fizzy-frothy carbonation.

Tasty and quaffable, nothign stood out extraordinary, but I'd drink it again. (592 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

I admit that I am not all that familiar with this style though I have enjoyed Brewery Ommegang's several other worthy offerings. This pours a clear light golden color (I got the first pour out of the large bottle--the later pours got a bit of the typical cloudiness of a bottle fermented brew). There is a large white head, and the effervescence is evident right from the outset. The head receded slowly, and the lacing is tenacious but not sticky. The aroma is tart, dominated by citrus and ginger with an underlying wheat maltiness. The taste, I'm afraid, was initially a bit too rubbery for my palate, letting the alcohol reign for a moment or two, but as it moved to a finish the aforementioned aromas insinuated nicely themselves into the mix. The mouthfeel is thin to medium with lots of carbonation. (806 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

A - This beer poured a hazy orange amber color that produced a foamy white head that produced a decent amount of lace and had a moderate amount of retention

S - The aroma produced by this beer had some grains, fruity esters with a pinch of sour, and some spiciness

T - The taste of this beer started with a graininess, a golden fruitiness of pears and apples, and some spiciness of clove

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This beer is pretty well done, it is light on the body, perfect drink in the hot weather of the south (584 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer is very clear medium straw, hardly distinguishable from any other farm or lager. The head is about a finger, gone quickly with decent retention.

The aroma is ok, nothing outstanding with light hops and flowers.

The taste is better than I thought after the aroma, but once again nothing to distinguish itself as a great, it is what it is. There is light hoppiness with flowers.

The beer is really watery but easily drinkaable.

Overall this to me is just a little more pricey sessional, nothing special (574 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise. The label lists an abv of 7.5%.

Appearance: Fairly cloudy pale yellow. Big white head. The appearance reminds me of Unibroue Ephemere(Apple). The head never completely vanished.

Smell: Fresh tart apples, yeasty spiciness, and perhaps a little bit of an alcohol presence.

Taste: Very juicey and peppery. I wish there was more fruitiness to the taste. Alot like a tripel. (419 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1 pt 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a semi-transparent pale golden orange color with a fizzy white head of 2.5 fingers. Retention is very good, especially given the ABV, and the head leaves sticky lacing as it recedes. Quite appealing.

S - Honey, crystal malt, bready yeast, floral hops, tart fruit, a bit of sourness, pepper and other light spice that I can't identify, and a bit of ethanol. Inviting, and subtly complex.

T - It's got a much more tart/sour flavor than the nose predicted, though I like it. The tartness does well to balance the sweet malt and candied sugar. The hops are incredibly subtle, but make an appearance toward the climax. I think it suffers from its subtlety, though, and I wish the flavors were more bold. No alcohol comes through at all.

M - Light bodied, well carbonated, and dry on the finish. Nearly perfect for the beer.

D - A tasty brew for sure. I'd like it to be a little more bold, but it's got good flavors and is very easy drinking. I'd have it again. (1,044 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honey malts, grassy and lemon flavors, and an earthy dryness are the signature of this beer. You can also find banana and little clove along with a slight bitterness. The smell is of spicy honey and grain. This cloudy yellow beer beer is one of best in style that I've ever had. (278 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass

A- Pours a beautiful hazy pale golden color with an incredible four finger rocky, pillowy head that leaves lots of chunky lacing. Perfect looking Belgian-style beer.

S- Apple, orange peel, spice, and biscuity aroma

T- Lemon, lots of spice, pepper honey, biscuit. Has quite an assertive bitterness for a saison and the alcohol shows up some. No funk in the taste at all.

M- Very crisp, goes down smooth with a little alcohol warming, pretty good carbonation

O- This saison was pretty good, although too much spice and pepper and no detectable funk made this beer a little bit of a disappointment for me. A well-crafted beer that I enjoyed, but not quite what I was expecting. (727 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy golden with a big white head that retains pretty well and leaves quite good lacing. Smells of typical Belgian yeasty flavors with some clove and light apple in the mix. There is also quite a pungent sharp smell there as well that cuts through everything. Tastes a little sharp as well, but not necessarily in abad well- kinds a more stinky cheese flavor. Complex, with ripe, musty flavors and some subdued stone fruit. Fades to a more typical saison light yeastiness on the end. Decent body, good balance between creaminess and crispness, but finishes a little limp. Pretty drinkable, a a good value, but there are others similar to this beer I'd reach for first. (678 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10%

Had this on tap at First St. Draught House in town. Came out a murky yellow/gold with no head on it at all. No lacing present either. Smells of funk, yeast, pineapple, coriander, and flowers.

The mouth is very crisp and overly-carbonated. Too spritzy for my liking. This may be a style thing so my rating is a bit higher than my preference. Flavor is of pineapple, apples, tart yeast, and slight spicy finish. This is refreshing and pretty good. Had it with lunch and it paired well. Not bad. My first of this style. I will seek out more... (542 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Hennepin is a pretty good interpretation of a Belgian farmhouse, but ultimately fails to live up to its potential. Too Americanized and goes out of its way to be inoffensive.

Looks great with straw yellow hue, big frothy white head, and adequate lacing. The aroma has the typical funky/bannana saison qualities with a bit of pepper. Very restrained. Same goes for the taste.

The flavor is nice and has potential, but is a bit bland. I'm really having trouble tasting much of anything. There's a bit of Belgian malty sweetness, with a crisp, dry, hoppy finish.

Feels pretty full in the mouth, with a good level of carbonation to keep things interesting. The drinkability is quite high, as this is pretty light in flavor and has terrific mouthfeel.

I had 3 Monts a week ago, and found it to be similar to this in many ways, but much better. Drink that instead. (871 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10%

I was surprised by the clarity of this bottle conditioned ale. (taking a sip) I was a little nervous about trying this because I am not a fan of the Ommegang. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. (sipping) A beautiful amber with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was a wonderful thick frothy white. The nose was a little harsh but that is do to the Belgian yeast. I am a hop lover. (sip and gulp) But the taste cuts through the nose and washes everything down with a clean and crisp mouth. (489 characters)

Unlabeled 750 ml bottle.

A - Pours a nice golden clear color, lots of bubbles and a huge head. Incredible head retention

S - The yeast is dominated by bitter yeasty notes. Perhaps some wheat malt in there.

T - Not an overly strong flavor. Not as much spice as I thought there would be. There seems to be more to the aftertaste than the initial hit. This fits the saison style for me.

M - Very smooth. Almost creamy. Although, thats odd considering the obvious high carbonation of this beer.

D - I wouldn't mind drinking this beer. But as a nightly repeat offender, I might not do it due to the "filling" feeling I get from all the carbonation.

A good beer - as a fan of Ommegang, I really enjoy it. (704 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 750 ML corked and caged bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A-somewhat veiled golden in color, with an ample creamy head. Decent looking but nothing to write home about.

S-yeast, banannas, clove and slighly sour funk. Overall earthy, organic and wet dog in the far background. Overall a rather understated nose...I had expected more.

T-slightly citrus fruits and Belgian yeast with young green apple with a mild clove undertone. Delicately sweet, with a very understated sour note and a dry somewhat astringent hop finish.

M-well balanced mouthfeel overall, on the lighter side of medium with ample effervescent carbonation.

D-this is a pretty drinkable brew. It goes down easy and is pretty understated.

Overall, I could take or leave this one. I was really looking forward to it based upon the advice of some friends, and, of course all the reviews and kudos here, but frankly I just don't get it. It is decent, it is solid, and would I take another if someone poured it, sure, why not? But did it blow me away and would I seek it out again? No, and probably not. (1,079 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

a-It pours with a nice lush three inch head,some lacing as it fades. Color is a hazy yellow gold.
s-Yeasty but nothing really jumps out, maybe some clove, some cereal,a little hay, a hint of sweetness, and some saaz.
t-Fairly tart and bitter, a touch of alcohol. Not that enjoyable to me.
m- Nice feel of carbonation on the tongue, dry, but seems to coat to my mouth after it goes down.
d- Drinkable but I couldn't do a lot of these. (433 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

A - A rich cloudy and yellow body with one of the fattest/deepest pouring heads I've ever seen. Some lacing to go along.

S - A bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus.

T - All kinds of things happening here. First off, getting a lot of alcohol action, but this gets balanced with a sharp ester hop character. A rather sharp finish that is reminiscent of isopropyl alcohol.

M - Sparkling, carbonation is apparent for sure.

D/Notes - One and done (7.7% ABV kind of seals the deal)

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality. (803 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

330 ml bottle

A hazy lemon colour . The half inch fine white head dropped to a slick. Carbonation streams that lasted to the end. Some lacing but not a lot.

Strong smell of sweet lemon bread. Delicious!

Taste of Belgian yeast with a bit of sweetbread. Spicy - cloves, oregano and pepper. Fruity - mango and melon. The taste lasts well but there is no separate aftertaste.

There is a big bite in the first mouthful. Medium feel.

This is an enjoyable saison but lacking the big taste of the best of the style. (512 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

A- Pours a hazy pale yellow with a green tint. There's more than a finger of sturdy white foam that leaves some beautiful, yet assymetric lacing.

S- Yeasty and earthy with just a tinge of bright citrus.

T- There's quite a bit going on in the taste- yeast, some paleish malt, some fruitiness (not sure if that's hops, or yeast, or something else). It all comes together nicely except that there is an alcoholic taste, much like vodka, that doesn't meld well.

M- Great creaminess which is so full in the mouth, and yet the beer is also bursting with evervescence. I really enjoyed just parcelling the liquid around in my mouth.

D- A nice and complex beer. I will certainly buy this one again. (694 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

I had this on tap at Waterzooi tonight and it felt different from the bottle version I was used to. It alternated between a little watery and having the coriander zing to it above the chunky grains. It looked great in its glass, but I was a little taken aback as I seem to like the bottle version better overall.

Strangely, the after taste came to me 5 minutes after I left the bar with the previously mentioned banana esters and the bitterness of the hops. I thought maybe the keg was on the way out, so I'll hold back on any further thoughts. (548 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Cloudy, light amber with a sunset of golden variations.

S: A lemon, nutty character is highlighted by spicy apples and hot alcohol.

T: Spicy, bitter yeast on the front is followed by hot cloves, wheat, and an alcoholic burn. Finishes with a sour, medicinal quality with traces of salt. Leaves the roof of my mouth feeling warm and numb.

D: Not something I could "drink" for an evening.

Value: I paid three bucks for a 12 oz bottle. Not bad for what is obviously a high-quality ale. (529 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang