Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,508 | Reviews: 2,110
3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

A-Pours lively yellow. A bunch of bubbles lead to a nice fizzed head. Medium sized head with moderate lacing. Very bubbly and mostly transparent.

S-Pretty light on any barnyard characteristics. More of the Belgian bananas, lemons, and other pale fleshed fruits. Light little grassy hop presence but overall a bit underwhelming I would say. Good, not great.

T-A little more musky. Grassy hops, spice a light sweetness (not fruit). The pale fruit flavors are there throughout as well. A pretty pleasant taste but far from my favorite from such a cool style.

M-Very carbonated and the ABV is masked very nicely. A very sessionable feel. Rather light but the body is fulfilling enough.

O/D-Not my favorite, but I can understand why this is such a well liked brew. Solid in every aspect but I would not put it among the best of its style.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a tall tulip glass.

Aroma: A light malt nose. None of the clove-y esters one would expect from a saison. Almost no aroma.

Appearance: Yellow-orange, with ruby highlights at the edges. Nice whipped meringue head.

Taste: Malty, sweet, and clove-t. Close to style, but a bit harsh.

Mouthfeel: Sharp.

Overall: I like this beer, and have it every chance I get. But when I finally set down to review it, it didn't hit the style notes I thought it would. It's perhaps a too-commercialized version of a saison.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into white wine glass from 750.

Fluffy white head-lacing is also fluffy. Slightly hazy pale straw color.

Nose is yeasty, citrusy, triple or golden ale smells. malt and yeast as it warms.

Flavors are lemony tartness, slightly sweet.

Light body, crisp, solid carbonation, sweet finish.

Very, very drinkable, even at 7.7% ABV. Gets all around better as it warms to 60+/-

I like this beer OK but I think Foret is far superior.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a brandy snifter. Nice light orange color with a solid two finger orange head. Very good appearance. A strong aroma of hops and fruit. Pleasant to the nose. The taste had a good subtle flavor of the citrusy fruits, mostly orange, and hops but seemed to be lacking a little of something. Mouthfeel was what I was expecting for the style, no residue left behind. Alcohol was high to be overly drinkable and its probably the wrong time of the year for this beer. I will definately be getting this for sipping on the deck next summer.

This was my first saison, it is a style I have just never bothered to try. I will be trying more in the future. This is the second Ommegang beer I have had that didnt live up to its hype. But, in this case, Im not sure there is anything necessarily wrong, I just may not know the style well enough. Yet. Will review my scores after I am more knowledgable.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Distinct buttery nose, but not diacetyl. It has a nice herb-like quality as if you were wandering through an herb garden. Somewhat barnyard-ish too. Very nice!

Pours out a dark hay straw color with a crisp white, fluffy head Lacing is spotty, but sufficient. Lots of visible carbonation supporting the head.

The flavor profile I can best use to describe this is dried wheat grass. It has a distinct earthy quality which is backed by herbal goodness. A little bit of black pepper on the finish rounds this beer out nicely.

Highly carbonated, moderate body, and a dry finish. Overall, I really like Hennepin. It's a quality saison and one that I will seek out again.

drinking at home while folding laundry and watching Howard Stern Tv on 8/24/08

appearance: beautiful cloudy tannish yellow color. big fluffy and robust head - lots of bubbles and hangs around quite a bit

smell: very crisp and light smell. a nice citrus smell - lots of things going on here - can't quite point them all out

taste: nice full body taste. by the appearance you would think it would be lighter, but it has quite a great full flavor.

great overall flavor, mouthfeel and drinkability.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

This is the 12 oz 4-pack version with what looks to be a bottled on date of 02/10/10 and a best by 02/12...I like it when both dates are stamped on there, the former much more important than the latter though. Pours a fairly clear, medium yellow color with a rather large-bubbled white head. Much lighter than expected and the foam does not stick around as long as I would like.

Smell is nicely farmhouse with some earthy lemon and yeasty clove/banana aroma. Grassy hops are notable as well as a wheat tang. Nose is quite nice.

Taste is somewhere in between a wit, hefe and saison. Has plenty of yeast esters but not really all that funky or bright like a DuPont. One of the better American renditions for sure, but the malt seems a little sweet and not grainy enough, while the lemon feels more like an American wheat than a saison. Hop bitterness is spot on and provides a nice cleansing on the palate. Tough love I guess, as saisons are one of my favorite styles and tend to grade harder. I like it, but feel like it lacks a bit in personality and farmhouse funkiness. I'd like a yeast with more personality, less sweetness and some more raw grainy aspect.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

My second bottle of Hennepin ever, this one sampled with a group of non-BA friends, most of whom really enjoyed it!

Poured a moderate gold colour with a finger-width white head into our clear plastic sample glasses (wine glass style). Aroma is spicy and peppery, with fall fruits (apples?) and a little bit of that well-known funk.

Taste is definitely farmhouse, with hay, grass, damp wood or leather, among other notes. The tart fruit elements remain, and the carbonation is relatively high, although I think that suits the style. Mouthfeel is pleasant if you're looking for something crisp and refreshing.

I know this is an oft-recommended beer for food pairings, and a popular beer in general. And, I agree that it's not bad. But I don't see anything spectacular about it, and I wonder if the only reason why it's such a good pairing is that its flavours are restrained and inoffensive. It's a good bottle to have around when friends come over and want something different but not too out there, though.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Damn, what a massive, fluffy white head that lasts forever! Tons of carbonation bubbles yet they don't show up in the taste.
Smells like a nice mix of butterscotch, caramel and earthy funk. Tons going on here!
Tastes much denser that it appears. Lots of earthy funk, a bit of lime, grapes and a bit of musk.
Very dry finish and a smooth drinkability. A really complex beer. Thanks to DannyS for the extra in a trade.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Another installment of my Saison journey.

A - Straw yellow, medium haze, a rather weak head with loose bubbles.

S - Somewhat restrained, a rather rustic graininess, some banana, wet grass, etc. Little funk.

T - Way sweeter than I expected. In fact, a little too sweet. There wasn't a great deal of funky sourness that I've gotten from other saisons and that was a bit disappointing. Light grassiness and banana notes.

M - Too little carbonation for a saison in my opinion, was a bit too cloying in its sweetness.

O - If I'm in the mood for a saison, there are four others that I would choose in front of this one. Just ok.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours a nice golden color. A large amount of head remains for quite a while after pouring. Can see the carbonation flowing rapidly to the top. Fairly clear.

Smell - 4/5
A fruity tartness. A bit of spiciness and yeastiness as well, a smell common to many Saisons I have had.

Taste - 3.75/5
Tartness, perhaps tasting of apples or plums. Along with the standard bready and spicy tastes that seem fairly standard among Saisons.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
More creamy than crisp. Medium to heavy in body. The carbonation is a little light for my liking. Smooth.

Overall - 3.75/5
A decent Saison. Saisons are not a style I am particularly fond of, but this one was better than most.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the House of Brews. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy light golden body. Huge white head. Nice lacing. Thick collar and some surface wisps.

Smell - Estery fruitiness. Some light banana and clove. Grainy. A bit of apple.

Taste - Grainy and yeasty up front. Apple fruitiness builds. Some banana builds too. Slightly bitter yeasty finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated.

Overall - Solid saison. Not necessarily remarkable in any category, but very good overall.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

this one popped the cork into the ceiling so hard i needed to check for structural damage to the home. it had a huge head that heavily laced the glass. it was a medium yellow color. it smelled heavily of grain, some spice and a very faint fruit. hennepin tastes great but i expected a little more complexity. it finishes quite dry and begs for another, but this beer is strong enough that may not be a great idea.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz : tulip

Pours a hazy golden with some yeast particles floating throughout. Thick, foamy white head with good retention.

Spicy, phenolic yeast notes in both the aroma and taste. Alcohol comes through just a bit in the taste.

Medium-full body with foamy carbonation.

A well done saison, alcohol came through a bit more than I prefer, but still quite tasty.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: This beer pours a burnt apricot color with medium clarity and stout head bright white in color that receded to leave modeerate lacing behind.
Smell: Hennepin has a spicy, sweet, malty nose with aromas of wheat, clove, corriander and citrus fruits followed with a slight barnyard mustiness.
Taste: Flavors of citrus and stone fruits, yeast and malt are crisp and bold with notes of apricot, orange, and a slight bitter hop finish.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with adequate carbonation that offers a crispness to this medium bodied Saison.
Drinkability: Very drinkable for some, an acquired taste for others.
Rating: Uniquely delicious.
Final Words: This beer is worth a try for adventurous beer drinkers.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Thick white head. Lacing left all down the glass. Takes awhile for the bubbles to drop. The appearance of Ommegang in a tulip glass is one to behold. The color reminds me of honey. Very golden, and cloudy. Lots of fiz and carbonation.

S- Yeast, banana's, cloves, and a hint of some spice I cant put my finger on. Before pouring the last bit from the bottle into the glass I smell from the bottle, and detect oranges.

T- Slightest hint of hops, yeast, and the tiniest hint of banana. I'd almost compare the taste to a Franziskaner but more of an alcohol taste(higher abv, duh). I like it but it's very simple, not too complex.

M- Very smooth. Creamy, also refreshing. Tries to be crisp at the end but its too refreshing to be dry.

D- Could drink quite a few of these, although it would eventually catch up and do damage from the abv. Very smooth and refreshing. A simple taste for me, but would definitely try again.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

Hennepin fills my goblet with an amazing amount of fluffy, rocky, meringue style head – easily half the glass! 2 inches at the very least – shades of an Duvel style head here… the ale itself is a very pale gold, with vigorous carbonation that assists the (now rapidly falling) head. Short lived as the head is, it’s certainly a beaut! Ahh, what the heck, I’ll add some more beer to the glass just to revive the thing…

The smell is subdued, but I get an extremely “Belgian” yeast shock when I stick my nose into the glass. Fruity, sour esters and spice notes jump out as well. Lemon and an acidic tartness linger in the background.

Taste is rather tripel-like: pale malts, alcohol, coriander, clove, fruity rose / sour apple, some unripe pear perhaps? Interesting and mild, not in your face, which adds to the drinkability, in my opinion. A good beer, but not one I’m crazy about.

Mouthfeel is creamy, mildly dry, and finishes estery sour. Quite nice for what it is.

Hennepin is a fine American example of a Belgian-style Saison. A rather complex and excellent sipping beer. An real steal at $6 for a 750ml bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

750 mL corked & caged bottle purchased at the brewery in July/10. Packaged on 06/22/2011. Cellared. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Stellar looking beer. Crystal clear straw yellow with a head that retains through the session and laces lightly.

S: Light lemon aromas dominated atop a general citrus acidity. Some

T/M: The body of the beer is very dry, not a good choice for tonight, alas... I should have seen this coming... Some pepper plays with citric acid, lemongrass and a light banana. Bitterness is fairly strong, but plays well with the finish.

D: A nice saison. I just wish I chose a better time to pop it than New Year's Eve.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a light golden color with a big pillowy white head. Smells of orange, warm yeasty bread, and some sweetness. Light, bready initial taste, with a sweet citrus finish and some very subtle grassy, floral and peppery phenols. Mouth feel is just a touch thin with a moderate to high carbonation level. I don't think this is the most amazing example of a saison, but it is consistently good and usually serves as a nice standby for me at restaurants as it's neutralness seems to pair well with a wide range of foods.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

A - This beer pours a nice golden straw color. It has a big fluffy 2-finger white head resting on top. The head has good retention, and it leaves some scattered chunks of lace behind on the glass. There is also a constant stream of rising carbonation bubbles visible.

S - I am getting some sweet malty notes right off the bat. There is also a big lemony scent, as well as some barnyard funk. I am getting some graininess and earthiness too.

T - There is some sweet grainy malt flavor right away. There are flavors of fruit and spice, like lemon, banana, and white pepper. The funkiness in the nose didn't quite make it to the flavor profile. The finish leaves some lingering spiciness on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and high carbonation. It goes down easy and has a creamy feel to it. There is some tingly feel from the high carbonation and spices.

O - This has good drinkability. Would have no problem having a few glasses of this in an evening (since I just did). Overall, I think this is a really nice saison. I just wish that it has a bit more funk to it. I think it is definitely an easily approachable example of the style. I would buy again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy lemon ice tea yellow with a white thick foamy head that disapates rapidly, looks very carinated.

smells of lemon, grass, some spice, and a little citrus.

tastes of grass, a hint of lemon, fruit, spice, and a touch of citrus, end has a little bitterness to it.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Cloudy yellow with highly carbonated look up the side of the glass

Smell- Yeasty and slight citrus y notes on the nose, and wheaty beer smell

Taste- Slight hop flavor but lemon citrus back notes, very good flavor, stronger finish then start,

Mouthfeel- A medium bodied beer that feels smooth going down

Drinkability- Tremendous drinkability considering a 7.5 alcohol level.

A beer I liked more then I expected or thought I would whether you are a real hard core fan of this style it is one worth giving a shot. Could see pairing up real nice with a spicy meal.

Mmmm.

Hazy golden color with a nice thick white head and good retention throughout. The smell is grain, fruit, and a farmhouse funk.

A grainy malt dominates the palate. The high alcohol lvel is masked very well; the yeast leaves a funky taste behind.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a light golden-straw color with a bold layer of foam. There’s a distinct yeasty aroma, slightly musty—the funky saison smell, I’d imagine. Tastes light with some bitterness, followed by a dulled zestiness. In reflection this isn’t as exciting as I remembered it. As an example of a saison I think it’s pedestrian, in light of the number and variety of saisons I’ve started drinking on a semi-frequent basis.

As a caveat, however, I will note that the first glass from the bottle wasn’t exciting but when I came to the bottom of the bottle and refilled my glass, now with the dregs and yeast at the bottom of the bottle that my pour definitely had a more vibrant character to it. Is this something as simple as a top vs. bottom of the bottle difference? (+.5 for the dregs.)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Pale, straw yellow with 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head leaving puffs of foam stuck everywhere.

S - Grainy wheat, pear, apple, honey and spicy clove.

T - Fruity, floral, grassy, spicy with yeasty esters and a metallic, earthy note that seems to build with each sip.

M - Light with prickly carbonation. Smooth.

D - It was pretty good except for the strong metallic, earthy taste.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang