Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 5,685
3.71/5  rDev -11%

750 mL corked & caged bottle purchased at the brewery in July/10. Packaged on 06/22/2011. Cellared. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Stellar looking beer. Crystal clear straw yellow with a head that retains through the session and laces lightly.

S: Light lemon aromas dominated atop a general citrus acidity. Some

T/M: The body of the beer is very dry, not a good choice for tonight, alas... I should have seen this coming... Some pepper plays with citric acid, lemongrass and a light banana. Bitterness is fairly strong, but plays well with the finish.

D: A nice saison. I just wish I chose a better time to pop it than New Year's Eve.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

Pours a light golden color with a big pillowy white head. Smells of orange, warm yeasty bread, and some sweetness. Light, bready initial taste, with a sweet citrus finish and some very subtle grassy, floral and peppery phenols. Mouth feel is just a touch thin with a moderate to high carbonation level. I don't think this is the most amazing example of a saison, but it is consistently good and usually serves as a nice standby for me at restaurants as it's neutralness seems to pair well with a wide range of foods.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

A - This beer pours a nice golden straw color. It has a big fluffy 2-finger white head resting on top. The head has good retention, and it leaves some scattered chunks of lace behind on the glass. There is also a constant stream of rising carbonation bubbles visible.

S - I am getting some sweet malty notes right off the bat. There is also a big lemony scent, as well as some barnyard funk. I am getting some graininess and earthiness too.

T - There is some sweet grainy malt flavor right away. There are flavors of fruit and spice, like lemon, banana, and white pepper. The funkiness in the nose didn't quite make it to the flavor profile. The finish leaves some lingering spiciness on the palate.

M - This has a medium body and high carbonation. It goes down easy and has a creamy feel to it. There is some tingly feel from the high carbonation and spices.

O - This has good drinkability. Would have no problem having a few glasses of this in an evening (since I just did). Overall, I think this is a really nice saison. I just wish that it has a bit more funk to it. I think it is definitely an easily approachable example of the style. I would buy again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy lemon ice tea yellow with a white thick foamy head that disapates rapidly, looks very carinated.

smells of lemon, grass, some spice, and a little citrus.

tastes of grass, a hint of lemon, fruit, spice, and a touch of citrus, end has a little bitterness to it.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Cloudy yellow with highly carbonated look up the side of the glass

Smell- Yeasty and slight citrus y notes on the nose, and wheaty beer smell

Taste- Slight hop flavor but lemon citrus back notes, very good flavor, stronger finish then start,

Mouthfeel- A medium bodied beer that feels smooth going down

Drinkability- Tremendous drinkability considering a 7.5 alcohol level.

A beer I liked more then I expected or thought I would whether you are a real hard core fan of this style it is one worth giving a shot. Could see pairing up real nice with a spicy meal.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden color with a nice thick white head and good retention throughout. The smell is grain, fruit, and a farmhouse funk.

A grainy malt dominates the palate. The high alcohol lvel is masked very well; the yeast leaves a funky taste behind.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a light golden-straw color with a bold layer of foam. There’s a distinct yeasty aroma, slightly musty—the funky saison smell, I’d imagine. Tastes light with some bitterness, followed by a dulled zestiness. In reflection this isn’t as exciting as I remembered it. As an example of a saison I think it’s pedestrian, in light of the number and variety of saisons I’ve started drinking on a semi-frequent basis.

As a caveat, however, I will note that the first glass from the bottle wasn’t exciting but when I came to the bottom of the bottle and refilled my glass, now with the dregs and yeast at the bottom of the bottle that my pour definitely had a more vibrant character to it. Is this something as simple as a top vs. bottom of the bottle difference? (+.5 for the dregs.)

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

A - Pale, straw yellow with 2-3 fingers of fluffy white head leaving puffs of foam stuck everywhere.

S - Grainy wheat, pear, apple, honey and spicy clove.

T - Fruity, floral, grassy, spicy with yeasty esters and a metallic, earthy note that seems to build with each sip.

M - Light with prickly carbonation. Smooth.

D - It was pretty good except for the strong metallic, earthy taste.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Somewhat hazy orange-gold with a thick but coarse-textured, rapidly dissipating head.

Bready aroma, with faint hints of citrus and spices.

In the mouth, the carbonation also feels a little coarse. Malt is there but not just subtly sweet (sweetness appears later), nicely balanced with nonaggressive citrus/floral hops.

An interesting, very unrefined beer that is nonetheless nicely balanced. The texture of carbonation was a weak point in my eyes. A fun drink, though not a session-er for me.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Overall, a little bit of a let down for me. Split this one with my drinkin bud, and poured it into one of our new tulip glasses. Had a nice appearance...cloudy orange with a foamy, two finger thick head. Smell was nice as well, sweet and fruity. Had a carbonated, crisp mouthfeel, but not as pleasing on the palate as other Belgian style ales I've had. Taste wasn't anything special for me, fairly typical for this style of beer. Had an average drinkability....I didn't have problems with my half of the 750ml bottle, but I didn't want any more either. Worth a try, but don't expect to be blown away or anything.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A pours a good gold color with a thin white head.

S spicy clove smell, with a light fruit note

T some slight clove notes and a hint of some sourness.

M light but not thin. Good carbonation.

overall an exemplary saison and an enjoyable drink for a hot day.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Pours a very pale yellow with a huge amount of beaten eggwhite head. About 4 fingers worth and pure white.

S: Typical saison aroma. Lemon zest and pepper like spice. Lots of clove, yeast and bread.

T: Same as the nose but with a large amount of sweetness. This is sweeter then any saison I've had. Pretty spot on saison. Very traditional. Lots of Ginger root also.

M: Extremely carbonated. Tickles the tongue with tons of bubbles. Light and refreshing.

Overall: A nice example of an American saison. It's the the traditional componets. Lemon, spice, pepper. It's easily drinkable and enjoyable.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle chilled and poured into a Pisgah Brewing Co. pint glass

A: Appearance is exceptional ... beautiful hazy straw color with huge fluffy eggshell colored head that takes forever to dissipate. Even with a gentle pour, it took several to fill the glass past the halfway point. As the head begins to recede, it leaves behind an impressive, sticky, and mesmerizing lacing.

S: The smell is not nearly as impressive as the appearance. More pilsner-like than a saison, there just doesn't seem to be much going on here. A little bit of barnyard funkiness, a bit of citrus fruits, and mildly yeasty, but overall, disappointing.

T: The taste is exactly what one would expect from the aroma. Again, more pilsner-like than a saison, with a slight breadiness, very, very subtle citrus and spice notes, and just a bit of booze at the end. There seems to be a lot missing here that would really help the profile. It's just bland as it is.

M: Mouthfeel is approaching impressive, but still a little on the lighter side with adequate carbonation that makes it bubbly and smooth on the palate. Not overly dry, which I think is a very nice characteristic.

D: Drinkability is very high, as the alcohol is hidden well and it drinks more like a plisner or a hefeweizen. I finished the bottle myself with dinner, and could have opened a second easily.

Overall: I have really been looking forward to trying this out, as it has received some pretty great reviews and is something that isn't available where I live, but I was really let down with this. HOWEVER, I should note that I think I opened the bottle too soon after taking it out of the fridge. The second glass that I had was better than the first, and some of the things that I look for in a saison (biscuity, spicy, funky, and citrusy) came out slightly as it warmed. Even then, though, this was like a light saison, if such a thing existed. I would certainly recommend serving this closer to room temperature and will if I decide to pick up another bottle.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - alightly cloudy gold. Big 2 finger head that doesnt go anywhere, big soapy bubbles.

S - yeast, sweet bubblegum. similar to a few weiss biers i've had lately.

T - mild sweet bubblegum that has spice in the background that makes it more enjoyable. slightly dry. crisp. hops are there but their bitterness is mixed with the dryness so it's hard to differentiate, but definitely refreshing and enjoyable.

M - Carbonation is definitely refreshing, but not overwhelming with too much of it. Slight sweet syrup touch, slick, i'd say.

O - didnt quite live up to the hype for me, but this is just my second saison. If I would drink it again, It'd be on a hot summer day and I would've had it nearly ice cold.

Not sure if it's worth the steep price.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy gold with a gigantic white head (pour it into a 16 ounce glass). Smells like yarrow and milkweed, like an overgrown field (typical of saisons). Flavours of coriander, yellow curry, fresh cut grass, booze. You have to like saisons to appreciate this, but it's a good one.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. No fresheness date on the bottle, though doesn't really need it considering its bottle conditioned.

A - Pours a fluffy, bubbly two finger head. There was minimal lacing after the dissipation. Beer is a clear pale yellow, kind of disappointing in someways because I'm used to cloudier looking saisons but I guess thats whats fun about them; you never know what your going to get out of each brands beer.

S - Pale hoppy smell, kinda bready. Wheat, cloves, floral notes. Green apple, lots of spiciness.

T - Very crisp, has the usual saison tartness, however its a little over the top. Green apple is roaming around in there somewhere. Bready, estery alcohol tastes. Alcohol is very present at the end. Has a champagne like quality to it. Bready after taste. Finishes dry.

M - Body was very light and the carbonation was well balanced, which helped its drinkability. However, I thought the tartness was a little over the top and it didn't leave the greatest lasting impression on my pallet.

D - I enjoyed it but it was strangely more of a sipper than something i couldn't put down, which is unusual for me when it comes to saisons. I think the balance was slightly off. Overall, I enjoyed it but its not something that I would look for in the future. I think I was hoping for something else, probably something comparable to what I've had in other saisons (in terms of balance at least). Perhaps its just a different style saison, perhaps I need to branch out a little more. A good beer but not a great.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Fairly clear gold yellow color with a rocky, soapy white head. Smells of grain, light fruits... maybe banana, minerals, and... earthy funk. Fairly light, tingly hop spice, light fruit with the slightest hint of pear, minerally, some vinegary earthiness. Fairly light character but with a moderately bold spiciness. Fairly drinkable. Do not detect any alcohol... My first saison so it's hard to pinpoint the flavors or what I should expect but I don't find it overly exciting... The light sweetness or earthiness in this brew is a bit overpowered by the tingly, peppery, phenolic spice...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden orange with a big soapy head that leaves lots of lace.

Yeasty and citrus aroma. Loads of lemon, some earthy hay, and spice with clove standing out.

Starts tart with lemon and citrus. Next comes spices and mild earthy hops. Yeast is present, adding some funk. Finishes fruity with tart apple and pear.

Light-medium in body, clean and crisp. Pretty good drinkability, but a little too tart and complex to have more than 1 or 2. Solid refreshing beer with complexity.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

750 ml corked bottle. Poured a hazy light orange, as the cork goes the carbonation bubbles up like crazy . Into the glass it crackles and fizzes. Nose of hops in a citrus haze (I'm not sure which ones) and the Hennepin website says gingersnap.

Taste/Mouthfeel- Sweet but light taste, flavorful with notes of alcohol, hops, and fruit but the back is grainy, ginger and other notes are light but noticable.

Drinkability-actually refreshing, probably good on a hot day, here in the cold of early March in NY though the alcohol helps warm me up.

Overall- I'm not an expert on Saisons, but I will say that this is a refreshing complex ale and a fine beer. When I try more of this style I will appreciate or depreciate it more based on its competitors.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a yellowish oragnish grapefruit like color with a pillowy head that gives way to decent lacing. The aroma is of sweet malt and some citrus. The taste is sweet malt backbone with some citrus hints. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and bubbly. This is a very drinkable beer, nothing to turn you off, but it is a slighty funky taste, the alcohol is well hidden.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured out a pale and hazed yellow color. light carbonation with a creamy white head that thinned out quickly but left a nice lace.
I got some sour green apple along with a caramel sweet maltiness
from the aroma. Medium bodied, slightly spicy, slightly yeasty and drinkable. The sourness was pleasant on the tongue. A nice beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge off-white head on top of a quite hazy orangish-yellow brew. Sticky pale malt aroma with a healthy dose esters thrown in. Tastes sweet without being overly sweet itself. Flavors like pale malt, honey, vanilla. There was even a tiny toastiness that found its way into my glass. Hop flavor or bitterness wasn’t too prevalent, however there was some pepperiness to the beer. Carbonation was bigger than I’d like and the beer was more viscous than any Saison I’ve come across. Although there was some sourness, there is not as much as I had expected from a beer of this style.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Dortmunder Gold in color, very clear, big head, great retention and lacing but a bit soap-sudsy with big bubbles. Aroma is very faint and of spicy pickles. Flavor is very polished - fruit esters are banana and cherry with huge carbonation that annoys me. Verrry drrry. Malt is non-existant, could be all sugar for all I can tell. This beer is just fizz on the tongue and then leaves a little flavor there that is esters and spice. Not as much ginger as I remember. Struck me as Unibrouish and triplish, but not worthy of either really. This is a well-made effervescent creation, but fails to inspire me.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Reviewed on 7/12/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy light orange with a huge foamy head. Aroma of some skunk, funk, and sweet flowers. Flavor of nice sweet wheaty malt, yeasty funk, and light spices. Light and dry. I love light saisons and this was no exception. A refreshing beer.
7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5)

3.67/5  rDev -12%

On tap in a pint glass at 69 taps in Akron OH.

A - Golden amber color with not much head. The bartender poured the beers to the rim not leaving much room for head. This is ashame although they were cute.

S - Faint sweet smell.

T - Sweet with a fruity citrus taste.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation and a great finish.

D - Great, I could drink this all day.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang