Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,550
3.68/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge off-white head on top of a quite hazy orangish-yellow brew. Sticky pale malt aroma with a healthy dose esters thrown in. Tastes sweet without being overly sweet itself. Flavors like pale malt, honey, vanilla. There was even a tiny toastiness that found its way into my glass. Hop flavor or bitterness wasn’t too prevalent, however there was some pepperiness to the beer. Carbonation was bigger than I’d like and the beer was more viscous than any Saison I’ve come across. Although there was some sourness, there is not as much as I had expected from a beer of this style. (579 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12%

Dortmunder Gold in color, very clear, big head, great retention and lacing but a bit soap-sudsy with big bubbles. Aroma is very faint and of spicy pickles. Flavor is very polished - fruit esters are banana and cherry with huge carbonation that annoys me. Verrry drrry. Malt is non-existant, could be all sugar for all I can tell. This beer is just fizz on the tongue and then leaves a little flavor there that is esters and spice. Not as much ginger as I remember. Struck me as Unibrouish and triplish, but not worthy of either really. This is a well-made effervescent creation, but fails to inspire me. (603 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12%

Reviewed on 7/12/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy light orange with a huge foamy head. Aroma of some skunk, funk, and sweet flowers. Flavor of nice sweet wheaty malt, yeasty funk, and light spices. Light and dry. I love light saisons and this was no exception. A refreshing beer.
7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5) (292 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap in a pint glass at 69 taps in Akron OH.

A - Golden amber color with not much head. The bartender poured the beers to the rim not leaving much room for head. This is ashame although they were cute.

S - Faint sweet smell.

T - Sweet with a fruity citrus taste.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation and a great finish.

D - Great, I could drink this all day. (366 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

From a bomber or 750ml bottle (can't remember), this Saison poured a light yellow with enormous lacing. A fresh biscuity aroma hits the nose on this light yet potent saison. The typical Belg. flavor profile comes out with clove and banana - this reminds me less of a saison than of a basic ale. A decent drink, though I prefer some other saisons over this one. (360 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 22 oz into my old trusty oversized wine glass. Purchased from Flair Beverages in Inwood, no freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: Pours an apple juice color and looks extremely fizzy. There's a light one finger head on the pour that goes away fast with some light lacing.

Smell: Yeasty, like rising bread. Also a mild tart fruitiness that I couldn't quite place. I want to say boysenberry, but I think I've only had boysenberry flavored soda, not the actual fruit.

Taste: Up front it tastes like sweet country white bread. Pleasant enough. The finish, though, is superb. Complicated and spicy. Goes great with hummus.

Mouthfeel: This is where the drink suffers. It's way more watery than I would have guessed by looking at it. Where did all the carbonation that was apparent when I poured go? It's not unpleasantly syrupy like I find most low-carbonation beers, but I wasn't impressed.

Drinkability/Overall: This beer seems to get better as you drink it. I guess the tastes come out more as it warms. Also, this beer has one of the greatest differences between pre and post-agitation taste that I've ever had. Certainly drinkable, and I wouldn't turn down another, particularly with certain types of food. Still, I prefer the Rare Vos from Ommegang. (1,273 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Hazy hay colored hue. Pours a 1 finger, persistent, bubbly, white head. Settles slowly, and unevenly. A little rising effervescence present. Thick peak and valley lacing.

S: Fermented fruit, lemon citrus, sourdough bread, and wet hay.

T: Really pungent, and bitter pecan shells, lemon rind, and soda water.

M: Pungent all the way through. Light and crisp. Dry finish. Very acidic.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is really solid. Nice hue, great head, and some pretty nice lacing. Nose is fermented, woody, wet and sour fruit and hay. Tastes like it smells. Pungent and bitter fruit rind and pecan shells. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

...This may be a truly great quaff, but saisons are not my favorite. Just a corollary to explain why my opinion may be way off. (826 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden straw. White head, good amount that stays. Decent lacing.

Smell: This smells like a straight up saison. Not quite as musty as Saison Dupont. Slight bitterness from the hops melds well with the light malt bill.

Taste: follows the nose to a T. Nothing unexpected.

Mouthfeel: Thin and dray. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall: Not a bad beer. Give it a shot if you are a saison lover. I'd wait for warmer weather however. The saisons I've had this winter have just felt so out of season. Cheers. (517 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance- Hazy straw colored pour, very thick head. Nice and fluffy but it subsides somewhat rapidly.

Smell- Smells strongly of yeast. Smells a little like it might be ester-y. Its smell is a bit on the funky side but its very light.

Taste- Clearly Belgian. Very complex, I can taste the following flavors in the following order: Ester-y burn that transitions quickly into sweet and yeasty, then... It turns to grass(?) and then to hops.

M- Nice carbonation, a little viscosity. Nothing major.

O- Ðid not know this style a lot until fairly recently. I like them a lot and this is a fair example of the style. In fact, this beer is downright delicious.

Note: Bought as part of the Ommegang christmas gift pack.. Well worth it for the price.. (749 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - golden, clear, huge white head (cork went flying when started to pull it), tons of carbonation, leaves lots of sticky lace behind

S - bananas, fruit, spice, hay, grassy hop

T - more sweet banana, light pepper/spice, not much hop flavour, more in the bitterness, but still not a lot, aftertaste is sweet banana

M - highly carbonated, very fluffy and airy, not much crispness, low alcohol warmth

D - this is a good beer, but does not remind me at all of a saison/ farmhouse ale

This has a lot more in common with a Belgian Blonde or Tripel than a Saison. Lots of banana, not enough hops, and doesn't finish dry enough, or crisp enough to keep it refreshing. It is still a very good beer, just not at all what I was expecting. (734 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A slightly hazy true yellow, with a foamy white head that persists like a barricade. The head was something I found myself having to fight through, but I know it's typical of the style. I expected the color to be slightly darker.

Smell: The aroma is light, yet beckoning, and typical of a saison. The main smells were of apricot and biscuit malt, and were accompanied by a breath of spicy hops.

Taste: A thirst-quenching blend of light malt, citrus fruit, sprinkled spices, and honey. A somewhat dry finish leaves little aftertaste at first, then suddenly gives way to a smattering of hops that have been gently warmed by alcohol. Very true to style.

Mouthfeel: The beer's medium-light mouthfeel and high carbonation is refreshing...once you claw your tongue past the seemingly never-ending foam party that is the head.

Overall: A very pleasant saison, but overall, nothing terribly special. I was a teensy bit irritated by the fact that I had to fight through the fizzy head to get to the liquid, no matter how much time went by or exactly how I poured the brew. Not sure I would seek it out in the future, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down. Next time, I'll drink it straight from the bottle to avoid the foam clouds. (1,239 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Wow, I've never seen a beer with a head like this one. It was easily 4+ fingers tall. It filled 1/2 of my pint glass with a meringue like bright white head. I did not use an aggressive pour because I was trying not to get any trub in my glass. The label says not to be too delicate with the pour so as to "create a luxurious head." I definitely saw that. The meringue like head stayed around for the whole 750 ml bottle. It was easy to refresh the head with each pour. (3 times in total.) The beer color was a cloudy bright yellow. Kind of like if you mixed a BMC & a witbier.

S: Cloves, Cloves, and more Cloves!! As a matter of fact, I grabbed the spice jar of cloves from the cupboard and it smelled exactly like that an almost as intense!

T: Again, cloves and more cloves along with a sweet after taste. I was reminded of those clove spice jelly beans that are common around Easter time. I really like those jelly beans and was surprised to find a beer that tasted like that but in a good way.

M: OK to good I guess. I was so overwhelmed by the surprising flavor it was hard to pay attention to this.

D: I finished the whole 750 ml bottle while making the baked ziti for dinner. I took the last sip with dinner. Next time I think I'll wait to crack this open until after dinner due to the sugary sweetness. (1,343 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Cloudy golden color with white head, leaving a good lacing. Smell is yeasty, with different spices, some lemon and clove, has a flowery smell too. Clove and bread beginning, with some sourness and spices coming through. Average carbonation paired with a light and dry body. Pretty good, would try it again. (306 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

On tap at Red Restaurant in Santa Cruz.

Hazy golden color with an average-sized white head.

Aroma is sweet malt, light fruits, yeast, and a little mild funk.

Flavor is pale malt, earth, spices, light fruits, and mild hops. Not bad but would like a little more to it.

Fairly high carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Very drinkable, but overall this is not quite as amazing as I expected. (390 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color from the bottle with a half inch of soap bubble head that boils away after a couple minutes. First smell brought with it a hint of skunk, but after that I found a mix of tripel/Belgian pale aromas--orange, pear, grassiness, and a spicy pepper note. Taste is similar to the smell, but tastier and with a nice alcohol presence. If the label didn't say otherwise, I would probably have classified this as a tripel. The finish contains apple flavors and mild hops.

Mouthfeel is a little spicy and there's a tart bitterness to the finish. The alcohol suits the mouthfeel and flavors, and while it is a refreshing brew, the nearly 8% ABV doesn't make this the most drinkable of beers. Interestingly, I remember the Hennepin I had on tap as a little fruitier. Nevertheless, this is a great offering from Ommegang, and I'd think about returning to it again when I'm in the mood for a Belgian. (921 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in a Hennepin glass at Hopleaf 3/25/07. Assist by HeatherAnn!!!

A: Served a pale gold color with almost no head. Faint skim and ring.

S: Faint sweet aromas of fruit. Apples and pears. Hops in the nose also.

T: White wine grapiness, very lite barnyard funk, pretty tame for the style for me. Herbal hoppiness.

M: Very dry, hoppy, and bitter.

D: Pretty good. Too hoppy and too mild in all the other flavors, to me, for the style. I'll take a Saison Dupont or De Glazen Toren Saison any day of the week. (523 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours a cloudy, straw yellow body with a small head with decent retention and nice lacing along the sides of the glass and the top of the beer until the finish.

S: A nice, sweet, fruity beer with hints of banana esters in the undertones.

T: A nice, malty taste with an alcoholic and banana ester aftertaste. Alcohol subsides as you drink the beer and the combination of the malts and the banana esters become quite complimentary.

M: A nice, crisp, refreshing mouthfeel that paired well with the taste, after it smoothed out.

D: A nice combination of the mouthfeel and the smooth, banana ester/malty taste made this a nice beer. Definitely at least worth a session if not a sixer. (730 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Corked and caged in a 750 mL bottle. A nice popping sound upon opening the bottle. Pours a medium height white head that stayed for a medium duration. Clear deep gold, clarity is reduced when finishing the bottle due to stirring up the yeast a little

S: Clean smell with some citrus, spice, and yeast breadiness

T: Lots of yeast flavors but still on the light-medium side. Spicy, clove a little sweetness residue.

M: Nice belgian style higher carbonation Finishes fairly clean with some citriusy yeasty flavor residues

O: Smooth drinking saison with some nice flavors. (576 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Chilled bomber into a glass.

A: Pours a cloudy straw color with active bubbling up the glass. Creates a nice, long-lived, foamy 1" off-white head. Leaves nice walls of lacing down the glass during a drink.

S: Bananas, lemony citrus, wheat, brett funk, a little barnyard / hay mustiness. At the right temperature, this is just a powerful bouquet and delicious to smell.

T: Wheat, lemon, and biscuit malt dominate the taste, with only a mild banana component in the background. The mid-taste sees mostly wheat with a slight smattering of clove spice. This progresses to a slightly tart/sour finish with a noticeable earthy undercurrent to it.

M: Thin-bodied, with active champagne-like effervescence. Well-masked ABV, with no burn to it. A clean, dry finish -- maybe leaning toward crisp.

D: I've had some outstanding saisons. This is in the middle of the pack, but it's a good option when I can't get the ones that I have to trade for. (944 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

I have had this one on tap and loved it so I decided to pick up a bottle and see how it compared. A little dissapointed in the bottled version, but overall still a very enjoyable beer.

Poured from the bomber into a toulip glass yielding a big 2 finger fluffy snow white head. A little uneven in some places, and a little chucky in the head, but this is probably because of my pour and not the beer. The beer itself was a dull yellow color and some yeast sediment was present in the pour. A lot of carbonation streamed up the side of the glass throughout the sample and some patches (but no rings) of lace throughout the sample.

Smeel had a deep citrus and wheat smell. Similiar to a hefeweizen. I had had a Julius Echter earlier in the day and this smell reminded me of that. (A little different that its smell on tap). Some definite lemon zest type fragrance in the nose as well.

The taste was quite citrusy up front and crisp but not quite as crisp as my last sample. The bottled verision seemed a bit heavier and did not quite have the same thirst-quenching bite. It was just slightly bitter and very much carbonated. Towards the end of the sample it seemed to almost take on a bit of a grape taste.

Very light on the palate, yet still heavier than its tap version. Lots of carbonation.

Overall still very drinkable but not as good overall as my last on-tap sample. I will surely still buy this, but wish I could have my own little stash of it on-tap in my house. (1,481 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a murky golden color with one finger of fluffy white head that leaves quickly, and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells strongly of bananas, spices, and yeast. Some cloves, orange, and citrus as well. Not much funk but enjoyable.

t - Tastes of bananas, spices, cloves, yeast, alcohol, and light citrus and fruit.

m - Light to medium body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - An ok saison but nothing amazing. It smelled pretty good, but thought the high carbonation and the alcohol in the taste hurt it a bit. No funk anywhere either. Would try again but wouldn't really seek out. (656 characters)

Shared with Cavery.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head. The color of gold; gold in them there hills!

S: Smells a glass of apple or pear cider, with a citrus "leaf" smell. If I were to whiff this unknowingly, I might suspect it could even be a champagne. It honestly smells pretty damned delicious.

T: It has a clean pale ale taste with a light orange juice finish. The scent deceived me, I thought it would be a little fruitier. Also attending the party is the delicious taste of bread, especially in the aftertaste. Light and yummy.

M: On a scale of 1 to Champagne, it's probably about a 6. The flavor lingers and lingers for a Saison.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't falling out of my chair excited. It is crisp, and the sweet orange undertones were really nice. Admittedly, I could guzzle down a pint or two. But for a Saison, I feel like they could have pumped up the flavor a bit.

Sour out. (920 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

25.6 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

ignoring the inch of foamy white head, the first pour out of the bottle looks surprisingly like an american macro. crystal clear, pale golden yellow. the second pour has a touch of haze, and the last is thickly cloudy.

aroma is light, but nice; peppery, barny, yeasty, with a touch of honey, champagne and fruits.

taste is also light, with a light-medium, fizzy mouthfeel and a drying finish. belgian yeast flavors, hop spices, and a barny, lemony sweetness.

very drinkable, but i'm not as impressed as others seem to be. pleasant to drink, but not a ton of depth or complexity. (628 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

really does look exceptional, straw golden color and huge bone white pillow of head.
Overall this bottle is a bit differant then i remember, the aroma is fruity biscuty esters, but i remember in other multiple bottles there being quite a bit more funky wet hay, and a dryer cleaner mouthfeel on the pallette, it's all still good though.
Flavors are full of yeast and light peppered spices and clove. once again missing that wet straw im accustomed to with this one, this particular bottle is kinda dissapointing, if only for the fact i remembered it differantly.
The feel doesn't have as poppy a carbination as i would like, or as dry a finish.

I love hennepin, and have enjoyed other bottles as much as Fantome and Dupont, so this bottle was a semi-letdown, which is rare for ommegang, great brewery. (802 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

After reading the rave reviews of other people here, I wonder if I might have gotten a bad sample.

Doesn't look like much, clear golden and bubbly. Smells really skunky, which first made me suspect the bottle might be off. Beneath the skunk however, is definitely some malt and fruit that keep it from being a total loss. Taste is a bit light, not unlike a very good pilsner, with a squeeze of lemon, and some added bitterness. Really not sure what to make of it.

The mouthfeel, however, is fantastic. This is an exceptionally smooth and creamy feeling beer, and it really improves the drinkability considerably. In the end, I'd call this a drinkable, if not great beer. Might be worth buying again just to make sure my bottle isn't off. (745 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang