Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,085 | Hads: 5,597
3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Look: Bright golden color, slightly cloudy, dense head with nice lacing

Smell: Lemon, spices, sweet malt

Taste: Up Front: Sweet malt. Finish: Fruit, spices

Mouthfeel: Light body, highly carbonated, with a dry finish

Drinkability: Crisp & refreshing

Overall Impression: This is a beer I've had several times, but I have never been overly impressed with it. It's a good beer to drink on a hot summer day, but I can think of many others I'd rather drink in its place. That's just my opinion. If you look elsewhere, you'll see that this beer is very highly rated. Judge for yourself. (584 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

pours a straw blonde with a nice white head showing good retention.

The smell is dusty hay with some sweetness and biscuits in the background

Belgian spices and herbs augment a fruity malt.

drinkable, but not as excellent as I had anticipated based on its ratings. Maybe I'm just not big on saisons in general, because it seems well constructed, but I don't envision myself drinking another one any time soon (412 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I was slightly let down by this ale. Bottle-conditioned, Belgian-style ale brewed in Cooperstown, NY? And one of the "Duvel family" of ales? I wanted to like it--no, LOVE it.

The verdict is in, and I would submit that it's pretty good, but not great. (Disclaimer: This was my first foray into the "saison/farmhouse" type of ale, so I can't relate it to others of the same type.) The bottom line is that the dryness and lemony-ness of this ale are overpowering. Considering the healthy ABV, and the fact that it's a Belgian-type knockoff, I would ask for a little more complexity. This ale has a lot of flavor; it's just not as interesting it could be (kind of like typing in ALL CAPS).

Apparently many other reviewers like it, so it might be at the top of its class for all I know; I can only speak within the limitations of my own experience.

Would I drink it again? Certainly. Would I *buy* it again? Not at that price point--there are better alternatives. (1,028 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Hazy orange-yellow with lively bubbling and a solid head. Coarse, grassy hop aroma and some Belgian spiciness and funk. Sharp is a good word for the nose on this one. Feels a bit watery and finely carbonated - champagne-like. Grassy hops are in the flavour as well with a little bit of fruit and spiciness and banana. Overall, the flavours have a bit of a rough edge I think. (375 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

a - poured a two-fingers thick, white, bubbly and fizzy head into a snifter that left minimal lace but after swirl of the glass a fluffy head came back strong. the body was clear and golden.
s - mild hints of lemon, bananas, medicinal or alcoholic esters with a little dry biscuity aroma thrown in.
t - spice and biscuits.
m - slick and clean on the tongue with a little crisp kick.
d - easily drinkable and enjoyable. i've had this one for a while and enjoyed but i seem to like it fresher. (495 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. No freshness date noted.
Pours out a hazy golden straw color, with a fluffy egg white head and lively carbonation. Thick patches of lacing left behind.
Aroma is banana and yeast and musty. a little stanky cheese.
Flavor is sweet honey and lemon, with some peppery spice.
Finish is ruby red grapefruit and citrus zest. touch of alcohol burn on the throat.
Second glassfull paired well with some asiago cheese. (428 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light straw with a slight haze. Large big-bubbled head. While receding, leaves some spotty lace.

Typical farm house stinky; I mean that in a good way. Sour smell similar to old dough.

Spritzy and sour; lots of yeast bite. Quite light in the body. Tastes as if there is a lot of wheat in this beer. (305 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I've taken a long time to get to this one, but I'm glad to finally get to it. I've educated myself on saisons recently with a lot of Fantome, so I'm confident I can give this the fair review it deserves. 7.70% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at a local bottle shop and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its reputation.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head - disappointingly thin - of slight cream, and great retention for the high ABV (~4 minutes). Body colour is a hazy pale yellow-gold. Thin minimal lacing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Nontransparent. Translucent.

Sm: Crystal malt, brett yeast funkiness, heavy lemon esters and lemon zest, lemongrass, rustic spicing (perhaps cilantro and clove if I had to guess), and pale malts. Maybe a bit of light white pepper. The lemon citric zest is pure and fragrant, evoking a fine dry champagne. Pear effervescence. Honey. Pale grains. A moderate strength evocative aroma. I can't wait to try it. Yeasty and inviting. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Delightful lemon citrus esters and lemon zest; these notes are dominant. Complementary funky yeast as well with notes of clove spice and maybe even a bit of banana and phenol. Some light biscuity character. Crystal malt. Dry pear and champagne notes. A hint of sour green apple - but not to the extent you'd see in a patersbier. Pale unobtrusive malt body. Rustic spices seem primarily yeast-derived. Refreshing and a bit tangy. Some honey. Perhaps some light fermented pineapple. These bright fruit esters also seem to come from the yeast. Little malty sweetness - just enough to aid the balance. I quite like it. What's sorely lacking is white pepper; a quality saison should always have peppery qualities but this one lacks them. Still, it's a balanced and well-layered saison. No alcohol comes through either, and it manages to remain refreshing. It doesn't lack complexity, but saisons are a complex style, and more could certainly be done. Maybe my Fantome consumption has driven up my expectations.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some effervescent dry champagne qualities as well. Excellent carbonation and thickness, complementing the flavour profile and coaxing out the more subtle flavours. Good palate presence. Refreshing and enjoyable.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. Hides its high ABV well. A quality saison from Ommegang, but it drinks a bit too much like a witbier with its heavy reliance on lemon notes. Still, I quite enjoy it and I'd definitely get it again if I was in the mood for a domestic saison. It's a fine offering and a fairly priced one. Lives up to its reputation. Very refreshing. Bravo, Ommegang.

(3,003 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a small pilsner glass.

A - Poured a light golden amber with a foamy head that didn't dissipate too quickly.

S - Grassy, hoppy smell with a citrusy, floral sweetness. Picked up on a bit of a clove scent as well.

T - A very interesting combination of malty, citrusy, and earthy hops. It actually worked really well together.

M&D - Nice balance of carbonation and alcohol warmth. Overall a good beer. Definitely worth trying. (453 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will not be bullied into liking this.

It's fine. I poured from a chilled 750 ml into a pint glass. The pour was lively, color wheat gold, and the head a solid, persistent white. Good quality aromatic hops impart a clean straw bouquet.

Drinking, though, seemed off balance to me. The high alcohol and phenols seemed over-assertive, out of balance with what should be a bright, summertime quaff.

This is my first from Brewery Ommegang. They clearly know their stuff, and I look forward to other items from their portfolio, but I don't think I'll get this one again. (568 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a nice cloudy gold with a billowy head. smells fruity with spice. I had never had a saison and have been wanting to try. It reminded me of a wheat beer with a touch of funk. it was interesting. the aroma was the best part of it. very refreshing fruit smell. light feel with lots of carbonation. enjoyed it, but the taste needed a bit more CRISPness. i really wanted just a sharpness to the flavor, great though (416 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%

Bought a 4-pack of this after a recent beer-rut. It's a great example of this style, and one that I would recommend to anyone needing something to excite their taste buds again. The pour was good - a nice, golden/oragnge body, with a thick, 1.5-inch head. Smell was citrusy, sweet, and of yeast and clove. Taste echoed that, with more pronounced yeast notes and a sweeter finish. I could drink several of these on a hot summer day. (431 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a bomber into my over sized wine glass. Radiant yellow with a big fluffy white head. Decent lacing. A bit cloudy with some fat carbonation trails. Smell is spicy malt and with a hint of hops. Taste is fruit and spice with enough malt and hops to make it a well rounded taste. Nice full mouth feel. The 7.7% alcohol is hidden nicely. I could drink a few bombers in a setting no doubt. Another Ommegang work of art. (425 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I gave Hennepin a very careful pour, unlike my usual, because of the nasty looking stuff in the bottom of the bottle. The beer itself is significantly hazy, bright banana-amber with a handful of fine particulates and a generous amount of carbonation. The very nearly pure white head started out small thanks to the gentle pour, fell quickly to thin film and is leaving very little lace.

The nose is fruity, spicy, faintly alcoholic and reminds me, somewhat, of a Belgian tripel. The flavor is definitely interesting, but doesn't bowl me over. It's malty, fruity (apples, pears, golden raisins) sour and clove spicy.

The body/mouthfeel is light and well-carbonated and the finish is long with a trace of sweetness. There's also a hint of alcohol that it isn't the least bit intrusive. It does pack a bit of a punch, but then 7.5% on an empty stomach usually does.

Hennepin is my first saison so I really have no idea whether it's a good version of the style or not. For all I know it could be great beer. My suspicion is that this bottle is a little on the old side, so I'll re-review when I get the chance. (1,117 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

Great appearance. Poured out straw and filled out a nice two and a half finger white roiling head that kept itself until my mouth did away with it.

Smelled of doughy yeast and flora. White flowers and lilac.

With the first sip you can really draw out flavors of honey, belgian yeast, sour dough and some spice. Not overly complex. No detection of alcohol, considering above 7% thats a surprise, but may come from me drinking it warmer than fridge off the bat.

Surprisingly full body for what it is, and welcome but light carbonation.

A pretty drinkable beer, I would say bust it out for a back patio summer day with friends and classic rock. Value was alright for a bomber got this for 8 with tax. A good price for a good beer. (735 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured a very big and fairly dense head. The lacing sticks right away leaving layered lines behind. Color is clear and crisp golden. Smell is banana, wheat, orange with a hint of clove. A very flowery taste is present. It also has a saltiness to it. It has flavors of banana and orange. Mouthfeel is ok and softly carbonated. This wasn't a great bottle so I'll try another bottle later. (386 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Beer served on draft at a local bar. Beer is yellow and has a slight haze to it. Thcik white head, carbonation low. Lacing is very high in this beer.

Aroma is primarily yeasty followed by that Saison funk. Like a barn.

This beer has a lot of odd bitterness to it. Its like orange peels or something. The flavors are complicated, fruity, sour, harsh, and finished by the bitterness. Drinkability moderate and the mouthfeel is a little thin. Not my favorite from this brewery unfortunately. (490 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

My first saison, so take this with a grain of salt because I really don't have a lot of experience with the style.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my tulip glass. A weak gold color with a ridiculously thick white head that lasted for days (even with a weak, gentle pour like the bottle suggested).

Smell was strong and earthy. Dirt and lemon peel? My roommate called it cat pee, but I don't want to be that guy, so...

Tasted pretty nice, however. Strong spice and faint lemon notes. Even at 7.7%, alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel is as crisp and clean. Not overly syrupy with a light carbonation bite that's gone immediately.

Is it my favorite style? No. Is it good? Hell yeah. (694 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an Ommegang stemmed tulip this beer is full of carbonation and develops a rocky head. The head falls to a thin collar. I swear I can smell grains of paradise. and coriander. Coriander on the palate as welll as a touch of Marzipan sweetness. Finishes at first sweet, but then dry. It hides its alcohol content well. I swear this beer is stronger than it was when it was first introduced. Lacks a bit of the complexity that I remember or perhaps it's that other U.S. producers of this style are doing more exciting things. At least it's dry and not as chewy as some beers that American breweries call saison. (618 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale, cloudy amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Spicey/citrus nose. Starts almost sweet reminds me of a wheat, tart finish. $5.35 for a 750ml bottle from Butter's Fine Food & Wine Concord, NH. (275 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: This beer was very clear. Crystal clear even. A decent head that faded fast to a small head that lasted with sticky lace. The color of the beer was an orange/red color with a white head. The bubbles came up like champagne.

Smell: Very spicy with some hop highlights. A little alcohol enters the nose.

Taste: At first there was way too much cabonation to even taste this beer but after it breathed for a little bit the carbonation wasn't as rough. This beer was very spicy. My first Saison and it was almost like all the other Belgians I have had.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated at first. After it breathed it was consitent. It had a nice not too thick but creamy consitency, very nice.

Overall not a bad beer but not my top choice. (756 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

No best by date on this bottle.

A: Pours a light golden ale with some haziness. A three finger, large bubble, whipped meringue-like head hangs out nearly indefinitely. Nearly total sheets of lacing. Almost perfect look.

S: Earthy hops, bready grains. In saisons, I always anticipate the yeast will play a large part, not only in the nose, but also in the taste. Wait, there it is, slightly funky, with hay smells, hint of metallics.

T: Again, earthy. I am struggling to determine if the flavors I'm getting are actually from hops or yeast. Slightly bitter, peppery, lots of grain. Still hints of metal. A little clove on the finish.

M: Light body and highly carbonated. Dry finish.

O: Well done. I'm new to saisons, but I know each saison can, and IMO, should, have it's own unique characteristics. This one seems to be simple, subtle, unobtrusive. (853 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap in a Hennepin glass at San Diego Brewing Co.

Pours a clear golden wheat color. Semi-spicy aroma. Unfortunately, on-tap this misses a lot of the yeast and other sediment that one gets from a bottle pour. Taste includes spices and citrus, but the yeast flavor isn't present. Still totally drinkable and nice, but it's much more enjoyable poured from the bottle. (367 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first had a bottle with the same label as in the photo which was in fact brewed in Belgium by Duvel. It would've rated at least a 4. Clearly superior to the second bottle brewed in NY with a silver label.

Color, taste, look, head, mouthfeel were all superior from the Duvel brewed version. The newest version tasted more like triple to me.

Overall average and will be sticking with abbey ale from ommegang. (412 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A nice hazy yellow, with a big billowy white head. Good lacing.

S: A lot of spice and some dark fruit.

T: Good, but not as great as the other reviews made it out to be. Did not meet my expectations. Has a sour fruity taste, with a sweet aftertaste. Mainly spicy and citrus up front.

M: Well carbonated, but not heavy.

D: High. It was shared with friends, but one can easily finish off a 750 ml bottle. (409 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang