Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,085 | Hads: 5,591
3.59/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance - Poured 12 oz bottle into Unibroue tulip glass. A murky light golden color, huge head that dissipates after a couple of minutes to a thin lacing. Very bubbly all the way.

Nose - Spicey clove-like, sour alcohol, some light fruitiness--nothing I can pinpoint.. Extreme funkiness, doesn't really smell appealing.

Taste - At first it is somewhat fruity, but a fruit with a sour bitter bang. Less spices are there than what I got off the nose, but they're still evident. I don't taste the citrus that others describe. Leaves a pleasant dry bitterness in the mouth, lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel - Decent. Surprisingly light and smooth considering the amount of carbonation present off of the pour.

Drinkability - Excellent. Finished my 12 oz in no time. A little more bitter than I anticipated but this is a strong brew overall. I've only tried a couple of saisons, so I don't know too much about them. You can't really go wrong with most of Ommegang's offerings... Delicious beer at a decent price. (1,011 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -14.1%

Got this from the standard 12oz Hennepin bottle and poured it into a lager-style glass. It honestly did have one of the tightest foam heads I've seen in a while. Head was a very clean white-capped 2" foam. The foam dissipated very quickly and left a very nice lacing throughout the drink. The color of the beer was a light gold.

The smell was very faint. I even ordered a second one just for another opportunity to see if I missed something (I promise!) in the scent.

The alcohol content for Hennepin is relatively high for domestics (about 7% or so). However, the taste shined through the alcohol very easily. One could taste things like lemon and light hops but not fruity enough to make one stand up and take note (the fruitiness in beer is honestly not much my thing -- so nothing lost too much).

The feel was light but definitely not too light. I detected a fair amount of chewiness but not a heck of a lot. Again I am neutral on this.

I could very easily entertain a session of Hennepin but without the price I found at a local pub. I would drink it again gladly... unfortunately, for the moment there are other ales that have caught my attention over this one. (1,180 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Hazy golden hue wearing a thin white head. A very vinous nose with more alcohol than expected. Quite fruity overall with grapes, lemon/citrus, but it could use a bit more spices to my liking. Saison-ish hay character is very well defined though and appealing. Lots of warming alcohol in mouth also, a solid hay field accompany typical cereals. Mildly acid with more lemon, yeasty with a dry bitter finish. The body is highly carbonated, a bit too much for my tastes with this particular flavor profile, it's smooth and big enough to support the warming effect nevertheless. I must say I expected more from one of the rare american Saison, the obvious alcohol at this moderately low ABV just doesn't allow for the quaffable yet feeding beverage I expect. (753 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours out like lemonade, hazy yellow that looks very dilute. Has an explosive head that goes up to about three fingers and dies down to about one and retains at that point very well. The color is not that attractive but I think the haziness is due to me pouring in some of the sediment. Other than that the appearance is pretty strong. Smell is a mix of Belgian yeast and malts, some fruit (apples, bananas) and a bit of sour. The overall strength of the smell is a bit weak and I start to pick up more and more alcohol as I drink it. Taste is pretty much the same as smell. Belgian yeast and malty flavors, fruits (apples, bananas), alcohol and some sour. A tiny bit of hops. It is stronger than the nose and pretty much just a solid Belgian flavor. It eventually dies down to a very dry almost rye like taste with alcohol, the loss of flavor is disappointing. Mouthfeel is pretty suitable. The carbonation is medium and the body is pretty light but a bit creamy. Not really watery at all. This beer is pretty warm for 7.5%. Drinkability would be better if the alcohol did not take over and the flavors did not die. The price is not that great for how much I liked this beer. Maybe I'll try it again after I have some more Saisons. (1,232 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Undated 12oz, poured into a tulip.

Pale gold, almost looks like sparkling apple juice with lots of carbonation and a huge white head. The lace is thick and leaves gobs of foam that look like rock formations.

The smell has a touch of lemon paired with floral hops. Slight mustiness.

The taste is rather tart, almost puckering. There's some dryness from the hops underneath, but the tartness is almost overpowering.

The mouthfeel is a bit light. Sessionable if the tartness doesn't get to you. (503 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Served from a 750 ml brown bottle.

Appearance: Effervescent golden straw colour with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Slightly musty with an herbal hop aroma. Pale malt through the nose.

Taste: Crisp and bitter with some higher than average tartness. Some pungent leafiness and grassiness. A little musty and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and pretty highly carbonated, textured medium bodied brew.

Impressions: Not bad, pretty interesting low-brow tasting brew. There is some interesting funkiness in the taste of this beer. It's pretty bold though, so some people may dislike it. Fans of IPAs should try this. (604 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Dull...Boring and everything in between. Maybe I missed something about this beer, knowing that it is one of the top 50 I was excited to try this but it disappointed me greatly.

Poured a hazy honey colored yellow with a large and enchanting white head. Big bubbles all around.

Aroma was of yeast, fruitiness, grasses in a blender, a few spices, etc.

Flavors included all kinds of fruits, yeast, and spices. Not bad but certainly not what I was expected. Alcohol was well hidden though and it did leave an excellent lace on the glass. (542 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

A-Pours a nice golden sunshine straw color with a billowy white long lasting frothy head.
S-Lemon, grass, honey, with some faint herbal hops...yeasty.
T-Taste like it smells... some champagne-like lemony grass with a nice honey sweetness to back it up. A drying orange herbal quality hangs in the back... a touch of clove and apples in there?
M-Good carbonation and fairly smooth. Seems like an easy drinking beer without being too watery.
D-Decent tasting and the ABV isn't too bad... not sure how many of them I'd want to drink in a sitting though....
I'm glad I tried this...overall, not a bad beer, but one I'm not sure I'll go out of my way for. (650 characters)

12oz, don't see a date on the bottle
Beer Scene chalice

A: Pours a cloudy, pale yellow gold color. Full finger of bright white head. Nice carbonation it appears. Some light white lacing will be left.

S: Smells like that traditional Belgian yeast strain. Some citrus notes. Light crisp hops.

T: It's an interesting Saison. It's like a blend of a wit and Saison in my opinion. You get some of that banana, some coriander from the yeast similar to a wit. But the nose has some traditional Saison notes. The carbonation almost makes it creamy and silky.

M: Light leading to medium. (581 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

An average looking beer. Pale hay/copper with hardly any head. A bad pour by the bartender?

A malty yeasty aroma with hints of earth & meat. Somewhat sour fruit, lemon, orange, and melon.

Carbonated yet creamy mouthfeel with flavors of lemon fruit, sour candy, earth, flowers, and some grilled vegetable flavors. Leaves a sour off taste in the finish.

I've had this bottled and thought it was far superior. Could have been dirty lines? (445 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

9/18/2005 $4.49 750 mL 7.70% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a clear pale gold with coarse carbonation that yields roughly a quarter inch of thin white head in my chalice.

Aroma:

Green pepper mixed with an abundance of black pepper mask a somewhat malty background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very peppery, with coarse carbonation, and an overabundance of carbonation. My second saison this weekend, and while I enjoy this more than the Fantome, this ain't my cup of tea. Bitter, unappealing, and even though cheap, not worth it. (543 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice straw yellow, slight haze, nice bright white head, sticky bubbly lacing. Lots of yeast, funky aromas. Slightly sweet aromas as well. Tastes pretty bitter, lots of hops. Finishes with a piney aftertaste. More belgian funk flavors, enjoyable. Lots of earthy notes. Mouthfeel is nice, heavily carbonated, slightly fizzy, thick, crisp, smooth. Drinkability isn't bad, but the harsh bitterness brings it down.

Nice offering from Ommegang. (495 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a 22 oz. bottle, it pours into a tulip glass at room temp a lemon peel color w/ 1 1/2" white eggshell head. Very spongy with lots of sustainance; fairly cloudy appearance.

Aroma is mostly citrus with some slight spice (coriander?). it has a lot of sourness to the nose along with a bit of alcohol...a bit much for 7.5%.

Sipping is a bit of sour & bitter lemon flavor, but a lot of alcohol and carbonation kills a lot of the flavor i hoped to get from this. Some peppery flavor sneaks through along with some yeast. Maybe a bit of grass hops at the end along with some alcohol.

Lots of carbonation stings my tongue but the body is rather light. Decent alcohol bite. Could be better.

Overall, this is okay, but a bit disappointing to me considering the source of brewing. (794 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle picked up from Binnys Schaumburg.

Appearance: Cloudy, straw colored with a wonderful two-inch white head that laces well down the glass and never disapates.

Smell: Sour grain-like aroma. A slight peach aroma, but there was a slight macro lager aroma to this bottle.

Taste: Smooth with some tart characteristics that are reminiscient of Granny Smith apples. A slight citrus acidity exists, but there was not any hint of coriander, clove, cinnamon or orange peel. A slight hop earthy hop character, but not much bitterness.

Overall: Quite different from the usual 750 ml bottles I've become used to. I feel somewhat let down since this is one of my favorite beers. May have to go buy a 750 ml for a side-by-side comparison. (739 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours cloudy with a frothy head, like pineapple juice but with a slightly more amber hue. The nose is unspectacular: banana and chalk.

The beer is well carbonated but smooth on the tongue. It tastes sweet and creamy with hints of lemon and maybe a little pineapple. Reminds me of stewed fruit with cream. I don't taste much in the way of spice here. Certainly doesn't remind me of clove cigarettes!

Quite light and refreshing for a strong beer, rendering ti eminently drinkable. (481 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

750 ml bottle. Poured into a flute, which seemed appropriate.

Not sure if it was the glassware choice, but this really looked like champagne. Light in color with a large white head. Extrememely effervescent - again, like champagne. Smells nice - very rustic.

I admit to not being such a fan of the saison style, but I will do my best to rate this beer objectively. It went down very easy, but I felt the fruit was a bit too tart for my taste. Pears, pineapple, bananas, etc. are all very apparant, however I felt none of the sweetness of the fruit was incorporated. The aftertaste was very much like a dry champagne. Goes down very easy.

All in all, I think it is a fine example of the style, but certainly not my thing. But if you love saisons, you have to give this one a try. (789 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

A: A hazey straw color with great foamy head and good retention

S: Slightly skunked smellbut mostly a strong some spicey frutyness

T: Theres some citrus up front and i Definitely taste Coriander and mabey a little honey at the end.

M: Has a good lightness to it. its smoth up front and a little course at the end with good carbonation.

D: Its drinkable the more of it i have the more i like it but its just not my cup of tea i dont think i would buy it agian. (465 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -15.3%

Excellent brew, just not to my tastes.

A - Marvelous, undeniable foamy white head. Gotta be careful when pouring this one out!
S - Not much scent to this one. A little disappointing. I caught a slight citrus not, but not much.
T - Citrus and hops, both on the mild side. I also get this chalky/earthy flavor I can't place. Maybe it's just me. Regardless it's not a good flavor in my book. Luckily it's not overwhelming.
M - Nice fuzzy bubbles, though smooth and light.
D - Quite easy to down. Even more so for others I'd imagine. (536 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -15.3%

750ml into a Duvel tulip. Pour produces a huge head of offwhite big bubbles reaching about 4" and slowly dying down leaving a rocky cap as it goes. The beer is an expected hazy orange-gold.

Aroma is full of fresh sweet malt, husk, and apple with herbal and floral hops seamlessly blended in. Perfume like.

The flavor is immediately sweet, but not overpoweringly so, quickly followed by big banana and plenty of carbonation bite. Finish is quick and dry. Not much depth to the flavor.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, somewhat slick but with plenty of fizz to keep it from sticking. Very easy to drink and refreshing. Easy to put back a little too fast, but it's a quencher of a style and it does the job well. (715 characters)

Reviewed 4/26/2007 (750mL bottle):

Pours a light golden color, some bubbles, average head, diminishing. Malty Belgian aroma, not as floral. Some nose of alcohol. Malty, sour taste. Some Belgian, and also some alcohol. Floral aftertaste. Warming up a bit...the tastes blend together better. Not bad, a decent Belgian. (317 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rich malty nose,with a slight belgian nose,slightly phenolic. deep reddish brown,nice lace, thick head. Slightly metallic, but rich malt with a nice lingering finish that drys out nicely, well balanced, hops are well underlining, and blends nicely with the malts. (263 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

A - pours a nice pale golden color with a little haze and a huge rocky head.

S - spicy phenolic cloves, a little metallic, slightly musty, but not a big horse blanket presence I expected.

T - well, doesn't really taste like a saison. How is this ranked higher than dupont? Don't get me wrong, it tastes good - a lot of clove, a nice portion of malt. Tastes extremely similar to Duvel. Where is the funkiness thought? If this was classified as a SBGA then I probably would have given it a 4.5 for taste, but I don't think this is very true to style.

M - really nice carbonation with a little syrupy character to it.

O - I am pretty disappointed by this one. It just played it too safe with the funk. Maybe the bottle was a bit older, and the flavors settled a little? (770 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours out as a nice looking hazy golden yellow. The head billows and needs to be given a moment to settle. The smell of the beer has a decent amount of funk to it but it's not as much as some of the authentic farmhouse ales out there. The taste has a pretty good amount of malts and yeast with some spices in there too. The mouthfeel is drinkable and has plenty of carbonation to keep it alive on the tongue. Overall this beer is pretty good but not my cup of tea really. (481 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a cloudy light yellow in color, 2 fingers of detergent like head, lots of visible carbonation. smells of yeast, lemongrass, very bready. the taste is pretty funky.. farmhouse yeast, has a slight skunkyness to it, which is a common thing in this beer (had it plenty of times before on tap and bottle, first time sitting down to review it). lemongrass and yeast are the main hints in both nose and mouth. medium body, high carbonation and creamy feel.

a nice saison, but a little too much like a witbier for my liking. could use more hops to balance out the overwhelming yeast flavor. (583 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

A-pale straw cloudy yellow with a lot of frothy white head

S-fresh and spicy belgian that reminds me of wheat. very good, strong scent with some funkiness. almost ideal for a saison

T-a very short experience. comes in with the Belgian spices and some banana. there's a slight breadiness taste with some bitterness for the after-taste. the bitterness is odd and not completely likeable. its an okay taste, but definitely nothing special.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a dry finish

O-i found that the belgian spiciness makes this not very drinkable. I like it in other belgians, but in this the taste gets tiring. this is pretty much an average saison that i don't feel is great for the style. i wouldn't recommend this to people more accustomed to the style, but that's just me. (784 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang