Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 5,687
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a small pilsner glass.

A - Poured a light golden amber with a foamy head that didn't dissipate too quickly.

S - Grassy, hoppy smell with a citrusy, floral sweetness. Picked up on a bit of a clove scent as well.

T - A very interesting combination of malty, citrusy, and earthy hops. It actually worked really well together.

M&D - Nice balance of carbonation and alcohol warmth. Overall a good beer. Definitely worth trying.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will not be bullied into liking this.

It's fine. I poured from a chilled 750 ml into a pint glass. The pour was lively, color wheat gold, and the head a solid, persistent white. Good quality aromatic hops impart a clean straw bouquet.

Drinking, though, seemed off balance to me. The high alcohol and phenols seemed over-assertive, out of balance with what should be a bright, summertime quaff.

This is my first from Brewery Ommegang. They clearly know their stuff, and I look forward to other items from their portfolio, but I don't think I'll get this one again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a nice cloudy gold with a billowy head. smells fruity with spice. I had never had a saison and have been wanting to try. It reminded me of a wheat beer with a touch of funk. it was interesting. the aroma was the best part of it. very refreshing fruit smell. light feel with lots of carbonation. enjoyed it, but the taste needed a bit more CRISPness. i really wanted just a sharpness to the flavor, great though

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%

Bought a 4-pack of this after a recent beer-rut. It's a great example of this style, and one that I would recommend to anyone needing something to excite their taste buds again. The pour was good - a nice, golden/oragnge body, with a thick, 1.5-inch head. Smell was citrusy, sweet, and of yeast and clove. Taste echoed that, with more pronounced yeast notes and a sweeter finish. I could drink several of these on a hot summer day.

3.62/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a bomber into my over sized wine glass. Radiant yellow with a big fluffy white head. Decent lacing. A bit cloudy with some fat carbonation trails. Smell is spicy malt and with a hint of hops. Taste is fruit and spice with enough malt and hops to make it a well rounded taste. Nice full mouth feel. The 7.7% alcohol is hidden nicely. I could drink a few bombers in a setting no doubt. Another Ommegang work of art.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I gave Hennepin a very careful pour, unlike my usual, because of the nasty looking stuff in the bottom of the bottle. The beer itself is significantly hazy, bright banana-amber with a handful of fine particulates and a generous amount of carbonation. The very nearly pure white head started out small thanks to the gentle pour, fell quickly to thin film and is leaving very little lace.

The nose is fruity, spicy, faintly alcoholic and reminds me, somewhat, of a Belgian tripel. The flavor is definitely interesting, but doesn't bowl me over. It's malty, fruity (apples, pears, golden raisins) sour and clove spicy.

The body/mouthfeel is light and well-carbonated and the finish is long with a trace of sweetness. There's also a hint of alcohol that it isn't the least bit intrusive. It does pack a bit of a punch, but then 7.5% on an empty stomach usually does.

Hennepin is my first saison so I really have no idea whether it's a good version of the style or not. For all I know it could be great beer. My suspicion is that this bottle is a little on the old side, so I'll re-review when I get the chance.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%

Great appearance. Poured out straw and filled out a nice two and a half finger white roiling head that kept itself until my mouth did away with it.

Smelled of doughy yeast and flora. White flowers and lilac.

With the first sip you can really draw out flavors of honey, belgian yeast, sour dough and some spice. Not overly complex. No detection of alcohol, considering above 7% thats a surprise, but may come from me drinking it warmer than fridge off the bat.

Surprisingly full body for what it is, and welcome but light carbonation.

A pretty drinkable beer, I would say bust it out for a back patio summer day with friends and classic rock. Value was alright for a bomber got this for 8 with tax. A good price for a good beer.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured a very big and fairly dense head. The lacing sticks right away leaving layered lines behind. Color is clear and crisp golden. Smell is banana, wheat, orange with a hint of clove. A very flowery taste is present. It also has a saltiness to it. It has flavors of banana and orange. Mouthfeel is ok and softly carbonated. This wasn't a great bottle so I'll try another bottle later.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Beer served on draft at a local bar. Beer is yellow and has a slight haze to it. Thcik white head, carbonation low. Lacing is very high in this beer.

Aroma is primarily yeasty followed by that Saison funk. Like a barn.

This beer has a lot of odd bitterness to it. Its like orange peels or something. The flavors are complicated, fruity, sour, harsh, and finished by the bitterness. Drinkability moderate and the mouthfeel is a little thin. Not my favorite from this brewery unfortunately.

3.61/5  rDev -13.4%

My first saison, so take this with a grain of salt because I really don't have a lot of experience with the style.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my tulip glass. A weak gold color with a ridiculously thick white head that lasted for days (even with a weak, gentle pour like the bottle suggested).

Smell was strong and earthy. Dirt and lemon peel? My roommate called it cat pee, but I don't want to be that guy, so...

Tasted pretty nice, however. Strong spice and faint lemon notes. Even at 7.7%, alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel is as crisp and clean. Not overly syrupy with a light carbonation bite that's gone immediately.

Is it my favorite style? No. Is it good? Hell yeah.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an Ommegang stemmed tulip this beer is full of carbonation and develops a rocky head. The head falls to a thin collar. I swear I can smell grains of paradise. and coriander. Coriander on the palate as welll as a touch of Marzipan sweetness. Finishes at first sweet, but then dry. It hides its alcohol content well. I swear this beer is stronger than it was when it was first introduced. Lacks a bit of the complexity that I remember or perhaps it's that other U.S. producers of this style are doing more exciting things. At least it's dry and not as chewy as some beers that American breweries call saison.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale, cloudy amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Spicey/citrus nose. Starts almost sweet reminds me of a wheat, tart finish. $5.35 for a 750ml bottle from Butter's Fine Food & Wine Concord, NH.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: This beer was very clear. Crystal clear even. A decent head that faded fast to a small head that lasted with sticky lace. The color of the beer was an orange/red color with a white head. The bubbles came up like champagne.

Smell: Very spicy with some hop highlights. A little alcohol enters the nose.

Taste: At first there was way too much cabonation to even taste this beer but after it breathed for a little bit the carbonation wasn't as rough. This beer was very spicy. My first Saison and it was almost like all the other Belgians I have had.

Mouthfeel: Way too carbonated at first. After it breathed it was consitent. It had a nice not too thick but creamy consitency, very nice.

Overall not a bad beer but not my top choice.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

No best by date on this bottle.

A: Pours a light golden ale with some haziness. A three finger, large bubble, whipped meringue-like head hangs out nearly indefinitely. Nearly total sheets of lacing. Almost perfect look.

S: Earthy hops, bready grains. In saisons, I always anticipate the yeast will play a large part, not only in the nose, but also in the taste. Wait, there it is, slightly funky, with hay smells, hint of metallics.

T: Again, earthy. I am struggling to determine if the flavors I'm getting are actually from hops or yeast. Slightly bitter, peppery, lots of grain. Still hints of metal. A little clove on the finish.

M: Light body and highly carbonated. Dry finish.

O: Well done. I'm new to saisons, but I know each saison can, and IMO, should, have it's own unique characteristics. This one seems to be simple, subtle, unobtrusive.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap in a Hennepin glass at San Diego Brewing Co.

Pours a clear golden wheat color. Semi-spicy aroma. Unfortunately, on-tap this misses a lot of the yeast and other sediment that one gets from a bottle pour. Taste includes spices and citrus, but the yeast flavor isn't present. Still totally drinkable and nice, but it's much more enjoyable poured from the bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first had a bottle with the same label as in the photo which was in fact brewed in Belgium by Duvel. It would've rated at least a 4. Clearly superior to the second bottle brewed in NY with a silver label.

Color, taste, look, head, mouthfeel were all superior from the Duvel brewed version. The newest version tasted more like triple to me.

Overall average and will be sticking with abbey ale from ommegang.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: A nice hazy yellow, with a big billowy white head. Good lacing.

S: A lot of spice and some dark fruit.

T: Good, but not as great as the other reviews made it out to be. Did not meet my expectations. Has a sour fruity taste, with a sweet aftertaste. Mainly spicy and citrus up front.

M: Well carbonated, but not heavy.

D: High. It was shared with friends, but one can easily finish off a 750 ml bottle.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance - Poured 12 oz bottle into Unibroue tulip glass. A murky light golden color, huge head that dissipates after a couple of minutes to a thin lacing. Very bubbly all the way.

Nose - Spicey clove-like, sour alcohol, some light fruitiness--nothing I can pinpoint.. Extreme funkiness, doesn't really smell appealing.

Taste - At first it is somewhat fruity, but a fruit with a sour bitter bang. Less spices are there than what I got off the nose, but they're still evident. I don't taste the citrus that others describe. Leaves a pleasant dry bitterness in the mouth, lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel - Decent. Surprisingly light and smooth considering the amount of carbonation present off of the pour.

Drinkability - Excellent. Finished my 12 oz in no time. A little more bitter than I anticipated but this is a strong brew overall. I've only tried a couple of saisons, so I don't know too much about them. You can't really go wrong with most of Ommegang's offerings... Delicious beer at a decent price.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

Got this from the standard 12oz Hennepin bottle and poured it into a lager-style glass. It honestly did have one of the tightest foam heads I've seen in a while. Head was a very clean white-capped 2" foam. The foam dissipated very quickly and left a very nice lacing throughout the drink. The color of the beer was a light gold.

The smell was very faint. I even ordered a second one just for another opportunity to see if I missed something (I promise!) in the scent.

The alcohol content for Hennepin is relatively high for domestics (about 7% or so). However, the taste shined through the alcohol very easily. One could taste things like lemon and light hops but not fruity enough to make one stand up and take note (the fruitiness in beer is honestly not much my thing -- so nothing lost too much).

The feel was light but definitely not too light. I detected a fair amount of chewiness but not a heck of a lot. Again I am neutral on this.

I could very easily entertain a session of Hennepin but without the price I found at a local pub. I would drink it again gladly... unfortunately, for the moment there are other ales that have caught my attention over this one.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Hazy golden hue wearing a thin white head. A very vinous nose with more alcohol than expected. Quite fruity overall with grapes, lemon/citrus, but it could use a bit more spices to my liking. Saison-ish hay character is very well defined though and appealing. Lots of warming alcohol in mouth also, a solid hay field accompany typical cereals. Mildly acid with more lemon, yeasty with a dry bitter finish. The body is highly carbonated, a bit too much for my tastes with this particular flavor profile, it's smooth and big enough to support the warming effect nevertheless. I must say I expected more from one of the rare american Saison, the obvious alcohol at this moderately low ABV just doesn't allow for the quaffable yet feeding beverage I expect.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours out like lemonade, hazy yellow that looks very dilute. Has an explosive head that goes up to about three fingers and dies down to about one and retains at that point very well. The color is not that attractive but I think the haziness is due to me pouring in some of the sediment. Other than that the appearance is pretty strong. Smell is a mix of Belgian yeast and malts, some fruit (apples, bananas) and a bit of sour. The overall strength of the smell is a bit weak and I start to pick up more and more alcohol as I drink it. Taste is pretty much the same as smell. Belgian yeast and malty flavors, fruits (apples, bananas), alcohol and some sour. A tiny bit of hops. It is stronger than the nose and pretty much just a solid Belgian flavor. It eventually dies down to a very dry almost rye like taste with alcohol, the loss of flavor is disappointing. Mouthfeel is pretty suitable. The carbonation is medium and the body is pretty light but a bit creamy. Not really watery at all. This beer is pretty warm for 7.5%. Drinkability would be better if the alcohol did not take over and the flavors did not die. The price is not that great for how much I liked this beer. Maybe I'll try it again after I have some more Saisons.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Undated 12oz, poured into a tulip.

Pale gold, almost looks like sparkling apple juice with lots of carbonation and a huge white head. The lace is thick and leaves gobs of foam that look like rock formations.

The smell has a touch of lemon paired with floral hops. Slight mustiness.

The taste is rather tart, almost puckering. There's some dryness from the hops underneath, but the tartness is almost overpowering.

The mouthfeel is a bit light. Sessionable if the tartness doesn't get to you.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Served from a 750 ml brown bottle.

Appearance: Effervescent golden straw colour with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Slightly musty with an herbal hop aroma. Pale malt through the nose.

Taste: Crisp and bitter with some higher than average tartness. Some pungent leafiness and grassiness. A little musty and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and pretty highly carbonated, textured medium bodied brew.

Impressions: Not bad, pretty interesting low-brow tasting brew. There is some interesting funkiness in the taste of this beer. It's pretty bold though, so some people may dislike it. Fans of IPAs should try this.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Dull...Boring and everything in between. Maybe I missed something about this beer, knowing that it is one of the top 50 I was excited to try this but it disappointed me greatly.

Poured a hazy honey colored yellow with a large and enchanting white head. Big bubbles all around.

Aroma was of yeast, fruitiness, grasses in a blender, a few spices, etc.

Flavors included all kinds of fruits, yeast, and spices. Not bad but certainly not what I was expected. Alcohol was well hidden though and it did leave an excellent lace on the glass.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

A-Pours a nice golden sunshine straw color with a billowy white long lasting frothy head.
S-Lemon, grass, honey, with some faint herbal hops...yeasty.
T-Taste like it smells... some champagne-like lemony grass with a nice honey sweetness to back it up. A drying orange herbal quality hangs in the back... a touch of clove and apples in there?
M-Good carbonation and fairly smooth. Seems like an easy drinking beer without being too watery.
D-Decent tasting and the ABV isn't too bad... not sure how many of them I'd want to drink in a sitting though....
I'm glad I tried this...overall, not a bad beer, but one I'm not sure I'll go out of my way for.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang