Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -70%

JLapadura, Apr 30, 2013
1.43/5  rDev -65.6%

I almost wonder if I had an infected bottle because this is one of the worst beers I've ever encountered. It is worth mentioning that saisons are hands down one of my favorite styles. It was poured out of a 12 oz bottle purchased from a roughly 55 degree cellar room at a local wine store. No dates on bottle. It was poured into a SA perfect pint. [don't judge me!]

A- Not impeccable. Odd for the style but not out of the question. After all saisons are neat because of the variety. Dark and quite clear for the style. Almost a burnt orange kind of color.

S- Malt overpowered most everything else. After tasting I found the smell to be unworthy of analysis. Vanilla and earth were most prevalent next to the malt.

T- Tastes like chewing a dry pack of Brett. B. and a handful of Maris Otter. With no water. In the desert. Again malt is overpowering, and the end leaves one with a sticky flavor somewhere between dirt and the smell of a dairy farm. Esters are very detectable but abrasive and unpleasant. In all fairness, despite the flaws it is somewhat balanced. I found it to be strangely acidic. There did not appear to be any residual sugars. I love funky beers but good god damn... This must have been a bad batch. Bad beers shouldn't make it to the shelf.

M- Thick and velvety for a beer of it's color/gravity/strength but mixing with the taste it just feels gross. It is sticky and slick, lingering on the back of the tongue for some time.

CureTheRadio, Jul 22, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

Basoos1, Sep 13, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

savageweaver, Jan 07, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -57.9%

Marcelozicker, Oct 01, 2013
1.94/5  rDev -53.4%

Welll it appears I get to be " THAT GUY " ONCE AGAIN!.

A - Pours a murky golden with a large three and a half finger white head. Left decen lacing.

S - Banana clove and spices. That's about it.

T - A bit of banana and pepper, followed by a massive urine aftertaste. YUCK!.

M - Light bodied with light bubbly carbonation.

O - Overall, It looked promising, but since it's a part of the Duvel family I am not surprised that it is highly overrated. Tastes like urine. Plain and simple.

SometimesIfart, Mar 16, 2013

ScottStache, Apr 12, 2013

cannunzi, May 29, 2013

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -50.7%

Poured into an Ommegang tear drop, the beer appears a murky peach color with a massive snow white soapy head. Minimal spotty lacing is apparent. Looks like a typical saison to me.

Smell is heavy on the banana. A little funk and sweet malt round out an under-performing drink.

Taste follows the aroma. Funky banana with a touch of black pepper. Again I'm a little bored.

Mouthfeel is sticky and gummy. I prefer my saisons to be a bit more refreshing.

Not my favorite saison...by far. I think this might be an issue of personal taste. I won't be searching this one out again.

hopsbreath, Sep 08, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -50.7%

served on-tap at Mellow Mushroom - Tuscaloosa, AL - into a pint glass

Pours a straw yellow color that is fairly indicative of the style. 1.5 fingers of dense, white head stuck around for most of the drinking session. Lacing was adequate. Problem is that most examples of the Saison style (and I've had a lot of them) look pretty awesome. So, when rating to style, this impressive looking beer is actually pretty average amongst its peers.

Not a lot going on in the nose. It doesn't smell like an elite Saison. It doesn't even smell like a good Saison. It is all banana and spice and airy biscuit malt. Lots of banana, actually. No funk or phenol or sourness or hoppiness to speak of. If this were given to me in a blind tasting then I would emphatically call "bullshit" on its aroma.

I would call "bullshit" on its taste, too. This does not taste like a good Saison beer. It is dominated by banana esters. There is some minute funk flavor and a bit of generic malt flavor to inform the banana but that's it. This beer is pretty accessible for what it is. It just isn't a good example of the Saison style.

Solid mouthfeel on the beer, though. It strikes a good balance between the prickly carbonation and having a body size conducive to carrying the flavors that it wants to present. Drinkability suffers from 1.) not being a good example of the style, and 2.) having a large (for the style) ABV%.

Saison is my favorite style of beer. I am very passionate about it. So take this review with a grain of salt; I am a Saison nerd. I haven't tasted Hennepin for a few years until tonight, yet it is just as poor as I remember it being. I can't understand how people think this is a good Saison. if you like this beer then I implore you to check out better examples of the style.

Reaper16, Sep 18, 2010
2.24/5  rDev -46.2%

Dur921, Sep 08, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

mctizzz, May 30, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

AlaskanYoung, Jul 13, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -45.2%

Big bottle (22oz?) with champagne cork. Pours beautiful dark yellow with big frothy white head. Tons of complex aroma that sends your nose working overtime to figure out what exactly you are getting into here.

Pretty sweet, too sweet for me, but ton of other spicy, fruity, floral stuff going on for balance also. Bottle doesn't mention anything about spices, but hard to imagine all of these flavors being created by just the yeast.

Flavors changed as it warmed. It took me a while to drink it, was definitely better warmer. Overall way too sweet to me. I'm new to the style, but drinkability was tough cuz of the overly sweet finish. I' going to try some more saisons, but not this one again.

Chugmonkey, Jun 30, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -42.3%

hmm... This beer is hard to review. This doesn't have much of the characteristics that I've come to expect in a saision. I've tasted this beer three times and am ready to review it now.

Pours a golden color with a big head.

Aroma mostly reminded me of a pilsner or perhaps a weak pale ale. Not enough esters, funk or spice to do the style justice.

Taste is clean and refreshing and has some estery fruits but for the most part was just a decent beer that was a bit boring.

Quenches the thirst but nothing worth seeking out.

/ I love ommegang 3p and abbey ale. This offering is just weak in comparison.

gonzo46and2, Aug 03, 2008