2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Reviews: 2000

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,391 | Reviews: 2,000 | Show All Ratings:
gboy515duo

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing.

07-19-2010 21:28:12 | More by gboy515duo
bturton

2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor.

04-25-2010 17:01:48 | More by bturton
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

corked and caged 750ml that my roommate got for Xmas and was not keen on trying. Thanks, Matt! You da man!

A- Carefully poured, as this has settled for about 10 months in the fridge. A huge fluffy head that fizzes down, beer is pale pale yellow.

S- Fruity, bready, nice floral notes (lilac).

T- Same as the nose, but with a lot of medicinal notes too. The inside of a pill bottle. Not my favorite. Cloves creep in and cloud out the floral/perfumey sweetness that I like.

M- Body is a bit thin, the finish is pretty clean, nix the medicinal notes and let's talk.

D- Moderate- Easy enough to drink but just not in my wheelhouse. A good beer but not for me. So it goes.

10-06-2010 22:20:13 | More by ShogoKawada
SilentSabre

North Dakota

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Heard so much about this beer and having been a BA for nearly four years, I cannot believe I am only now trying it for the first time.
The 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white head probably three inches thick. Looks nice. Smell was good, but rather off for the style, I thought. Smell was more akin to a tripel than a farmhouse saison. The damp, musty, basement smell present in nearly every saison I have ever had is totally abscent in this one. Taste, too was far from a saison, IMO. Also, likely the worst thing about this is the detectable level of alcohol. To me, a farmhouse saison should be smooth and easy drinking, smell like a mouldy, damp basement, and have a rather pronounced tartness. This is bereft of any of the afore mentioned traits, and again, if I were just given this to drink, not knowing what it was, I'd probably enjoy it and exlaim, "I've had better tripels, but this one's not bad.." I don't know guys, for all the hype surrounding this one, I must admit, I'm quite dis-pleased with it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

07-27-2007 00:49:28 | More by SilentSabre
assurbanipaul

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

05-28-2003 21:53:10 | More by assurbanipaul
claspada

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Aromas are a bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus. Dry pilsner bready biscuity malts are also detectable. Belgiany yeast is fairly apparent as well.

The taste is fairly aggressive for a saison (or at least what I prefer in my saisons). All kinds of things happening here. Alcohol isn't midden all that well and the esters aren't in balance with the hops, really sharp finish as well; really not a fan. Thick, yet extremely bubbly mouthfeel; carbonation is apparent for sure.

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality.

11-17-2010 19:22:08 | More by claspada
grannaniwa

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. Smells kind of like a hefeweisen to me. I think I smell lemon, but I can’t tell whether this is just because so many beers get served with a lemon slice in the US. Nose is a little richer second time around, a little earthier and more cloves.

Taste is a little flatter than I expected. Not that bright, falls more on the bitter side. Carbonation is out-of-control. Makes it hard to swirl around and get the full experience! One of the flavors in the aftertaste reminds me of a flat domestic lager. Little bit of tang on the tongue after a swallow. Tastes like it is high alcohol, and it turns out to be significantly high!

Overall: B-, not a big fan

02-18-2012 01:13:42 | More by grannaniwa
barleywineman

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer is full of funk and bubble gum, yeasty, doughy, a little too sour for a saison. definately farmy! but it may be better with food not an easy brew to drink alone unless you want half 3 philosophers and half duvel in the same glass :( sorry hut dissapointed. Tastes better with Food

06-14-2009 23:49:19 | More by barleywineman
t8000shx

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Was pumped to give this one a go, I generally like Ommegang. Poured nice, tons of bubbles, tall head. Caught me off guard, required a more delicate pour than even most other belgians to moderate head size. Nice hazy gold/yellow color in the glass, appealing looking. Smelled like the real deal, very authentick belgian.

It was only once the beer left the glass and found its way onto my tongue that disappointment set in. Admittedly, for my first sip the beer was way too cold, so i let it sit for some time. Unfortunately i don't like how it opened up. Tart, bubbly, mildly sweet, citrusy, and earthy. It all sounds nice, except the tartness was too strong. Resulted in an extremely unbalanced flavor. Not to say the beer was terrible, it wasn't, however it could use significantly more strength from the earthy/malty notes. Tartness and acidity need to be toned down a bit. Noting the beer's high rating, it looks like i'm in the minority here, but so it goes. I'll stick with the 3 Philosophers next time I hit up Ommegang

03-01-2006 03:17:32 | More by t8000shx
cproioi

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured a hazy yellow body with some carbonation present in the body. Has a white head that disipates quickly to form a film across the surface. The beer's aroma consists of Hops, some spices and yeast. The taste follows the aroma fairly well. However, the hops are more apparent in the taste. The beer has a froathy body that leads to a lingering residual sweetness that I don't like about American breweries takes on Belgian Beers. Slight Alcohol present in the warmth.

Can't say I was overly impressed with this beer. I wouldn't get it again.

08-13-2006 23:25:35 | More by cproioi
Chico1985

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz to Unibroue tulip, no best by date listed.

Pours a clear golden color with a huge puffy white head, lots of bubbles, highly carbonated it seems. Dusty sediment floats about. Settles at a thick bubbly cap leaving some lacing.

Pale pilsner malts jump from the nose first and foremost. Typical Belgian yeast, some sweet candi sugar, wet grass and lemony hops follow. Just the tiniest hints of funk and hay. The pilsner quality reminds me a little too much of an generic pale Euro lager but the smell really starts to open up nicely after a bit.

Taste has notes of lemon/citrus/grass throughout from the hops, Belgian yeast and some candi sugar. I found the scent to be more enjoyable. Some bready notes in the finish. High alcohol taste dominates (at the finish especially) and is noticeable right from the get-go. Although it does fade over time, it is ever-present giving the beer a bit of a distasteful, soapy medicinal feel. Mouthfeel is not nearly as carbonated as the appearance would hint towards, has a creamy oily feel to it, but the booziness just about kills it.

Kinda reminds me of Duvel in some ways (which makes sense), but I couldn't get into this one much. Feels too boozy and just heavy and uncomfortable when it reaches your guts. Flavors that were present didn't really leave me wanting more.

11-18-2010 01:08:17 | More by Chico1985
mwearl

2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured on tap, this beer was pale with very white creamy head with lacing that lasted through the entire glass. Very sweet smell with champagne-like odors. Taste was watery and sweet with white grape tastes and an odd perfume taste at the finish. Mouthfeel was light and dry and little aftertaste. I will say that it is very well balanced with the higher ABV. Drinkability was ok for a hot day beer, but not at the top of my list.

05-28-2007 21:35:05 | More by mwearl
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Bottled . Not a huge fan of this brewer so far. Yeasty choc/caramel, pretty sweet and a little bit syruppy to be honest, a very flat mouthfeel, with not much interesting happening, definitely on the sweeter side of the scale, i've yet to be won over by this brewer, but this isn't a bad beer though.

10-01-2004 12:24:30 | More by rastaman
MrVonzipper

A fairly cloudy, pale blonde pour. Very nice frothy while head with very good head retention, through the whole beer. Noticeable yeast remnants and carbonation.

Not very much working on the nose, a little plum, light malt

Not a ton going on as far as flavor profile notes as well. Light caramel, plum, light malt. Almost a nutty-pumpkin bread like aftertaste

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Good carbonation smooth most of the way with a little bitterness at the end.

Overall I'm a little confused with this beer. It takes like a blonde bock to me. Flavor notes along with the smell are pretty flat. It's not bad and is a decent spring type beer. But I'm just so confused with what it's trying to achieve cuz it's just so simple. It kind of tastes like it's a homebrewers first attempt at the style.

05-24-2011 05:28:29 | More by MrVonzipper
b11

This was once one of my favorites, for a number of years. Now it is made in Belgium (as of June 2012) and it is a significantly different beer, not the same at all. I taste the following: hoppier and less sweet (the subtle sweetness of this beer was one of my pleasures), far less yeast taste (again, I loved this) and more filtered for sure, and less malt taste. It's as if the brewers said "let's make Hennepin taste more like Heineken". Very disappointing. I will not be buying this again (until they make it in NY).

If you doubt me please check this out yourself, the new label says "Product of Belgium" right on the front.

06-26-2012 23:16:07 | More by b11
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

Pours a murky yellow with a solid two finger head. Wheat smelling. The taste was a bit disappointing. It's a little bit too carbonated for my taste. The aftertaste is wheaty with a tinge of alcohol. Overall, it's a very hoppy beer with a champagne type feel to it. Not my type of beer.

I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

10-22-2013 02:30:37 | More by Ryan_Graham
mttaylor1066

Connecticut

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

I've had this beer a few times in the past years, but now that I sit down to review it, it disappoints.

Perhaps I've opened a poorly stored bottle.

A- Like a lager, bright yellow. Lots of mousse that effervesces like mad, settling into a thin top layer in my thin goblet.

S- The most apealing aspect of this beer is the aroma. Spicy with a note of citrus.

T - I can't get away from the rather unpleasant bitterness that overwhelms the palate. Not a pleasant bite, not balanced by anything else in the ale. Perhaps I am just not in tune with the hops used in this ale.

M - Light with an active fizz.

D - Due to the persistent bitterness, I wouldn't say this is an enjoyable ale/

01-21-2011 22:30:49 | More by mttaylor1066
NJpadreFan

Hennepin

Appearance- Light copper brown with a super thick head. Heavy lacing throughout.
Smell- Alcohol, vanilla, clove, and spice.
Taste- slighty tart up front with a spicey clove, vanilla, and orange rind flavor.
Mouthfeel- Boozey throughout. A little tart and crisp with the bulk of the flavor in the end.

Overall- Not as musty or funky as I was expecting. Light flavor with a big alcohol presence. The strong highly noticable alcohol knocks this 1 down a notch.

07-27-2007 00:57:23 | More by NJpadreFan
kosmoraios

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue. Perhaps this pour wasn't quite right in some way, as my experience differs from that of other reviewers.

Pour was a very light, cloudy straw yellow with an insubstantial white head and little lacing. Aroma was light and zesty, and perhaps the best part of this ale - lemon, white pepper, and sourdough bread.

Taste was light and watery, notes of citrus fruit and spices - cardamom, clove, pepper along with a sour yeast flavor. A metallic tin flavor leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. This ale lacks substance: almost no carbonation, very light, oily on the tongue. More substance and more carbonation would go a long way toward saving this ale, as long as the tin flavor could be vanquished.

11-16-2008 23:56:26 | More by kosmoraios
snaotheus

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%

750ml bottle split into two really big snifters. I left the yeasty sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

So, it looks pretty clear, straw yellow, with a very robust head and lots of active lacing. Cork made a nice pop, too. Smell is spicy and somehow unpleasant. It makes me think of cheap lagers. Kinda yeasty.

Taste is a bit funky, kinda spicy. Very yeasty, even though I left the sediment behind. I can't taste much else, in fact.

Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky. Overall, this seems OK to me. Maybe I didn't get the best bottle; it was on clearance.

08-19-2011 02:54:16 | More by snaotheus
lurpy1

3.08/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared with the wife last night on a scorching hot day.

Pours golden yellow, retained a pretty good head. Someone please tell me this beer doesn't look like a urine specimen?

Smell is a bit off-putting, a little bit too yeasty for me. It's not terribly different from the smell of baseball stadium beer, and that's not a good thing.

The taste is somewhat floral, with hints of citrus and breakfast spices in there. Not bad, certainly easy to drink, but also somehow a little bit thin and watery. I know this is not supposed to be a big beer, but there could have been more here.

Quite fizzy in the mouth, but saison's are pretty fizzy. Mission accomplished on Ommegang's part, I guess.

Certainly, this is not bad, but I'm evidently not part of the adoring crowd this beer has. Frankly, I gotta be honest, compared to the "best of the worst" of the macro-brews, stuff like Leinie's, Rolling Rock, I cannot say that Hennepin is better than those beers by an order of magnitude.

07-19-2011 15:57:19 | More by lurpy1
alexipa

Colorado

3.08/5  rDev -26%

A: Too clear for the style. I need some floaties! Lacing is great with a nice thin head.

S: I don't know what to say here... smells a bit like Miller Lite. Maybe a little bit of fruit on the finish.

T: Some fruit, lots of light malt, not a ton going on though. Dry finish is quite nice.

M: They got this right. It feels light, the perfect amount of carbonation, just very pleasant.

O: Pretty good. I've been drinking a lot of Saison/farmhouse ales and this is the worst I've tried so far. I love the style, though.

05-02-2012 03:24:15 | More by alexipa
atomicbeer

New Mexico

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a fine white mousse head. Aroma is of clover honey and white pepper. Taste is fruity and wet stone. Mouthfeel has a decent body. As this is a farmhouse ale, I paired this with a French Altantique cheese and a rustic baguette -- magnificent!

02-14-2011 02:49:11 | More by atomicbeer
bobhits

Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a huge head, large bubbles, but unlike most large bubbled beers these have some staying power. The body is citrus lemon like yellow and fairly clear given the Belgian Nature of this one.

OK, what the hell is that smell….pouring this one is smells like something has gone terribly wrong! Surprisingly once in the glass and smelling the beer in there, it smells pretty decent. Somewhat sour nature gives off lemon, pale malt, pepper, and just overall smells dry if that’s possible.

Wow hops, bannas, cloves, funk, the hef flavors given way to apples and pears with a following sips. There are light subtle candy flavors here, but they don’t balance the sour citrus nature of the beer. A rather interesting and refreshing beer.

A summer master piece on the tongue at first, but the weight of the alcohol comes into play here a bit. I’m not sure when or why one should drink this beer, but I’d highly recommend trying it out.

I hate reviewing this style as they all seem to take on such different characteristics. There is always a hop/sour effect but after that it seems like everything is fair game. As a result all I can say is this one of the best I’ve had with the style, but I believe the results can still be far better.

04-27-2011 03:14:56 | More by bobhits
Nay

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

I'm bewildered by the super-high ratings for this beer. Malty, finishes sweet, closer to a dunkel than a saison. Color is a lot darker and quite clear compared to other saisons. Pilsner malt flavor with other malt aromas I can't place, but not dry, tart, or refreshing. Where are the phenols and character>?Long lasting head and lace. I won't finish a glass.

05-01-2012 03:43:54 | More by Nay