Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 5,685
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into Duvel Tulip.

Moderate pour yields a nice white, thick and frothy head that lingers around nicely leaving substantial amounts of lace behind in its tracks. Beer appears a beautiful yet semi hazy golden yellow with plenty of carbonation bubbles apparent. Almost reminds me of champagne.

Smells a bit musty from the yeast, but not in a overpowering negative way; the funk is right on. Nose lets off slight lemon citrus overtones with a peppery spiciness. Light fruits such as apple and banana and a tad bit of bread like nuttiness are there as well.

This beer is everything I hoped it would be. Yeast is very much in the forefront along with some citrusy yet tart hop presence, immediately giving way to buttery biscuit like notes. Spices come through strong in the middle to add some spicy clove like flavors to the mix. The nearly 8% ABV is completely camouflaged and I'd have no idea it was as strong if it wasn't printed on the bottle. Finishes off fruity sweet.

Medium bodied and very well carbonated. Seriously refreshing with a semi-dry finish. Real drinkable and ideal for complementing a nice summer night.

One of the best Saisons I've ever had, and that's saying a lot considering its brewed in NY. The fact that this is available year around means trouble for my wallet, as I'm sure I'll be buying tons of it in the next few months. Can't recommend it enough.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

A big corked 750 mL bottle of Hennepin had been sitting in the fridge for a while and last night I decided to partake.

A soft pop of the cork and into the glass we go. A solid cloudy banana shade topped with a dense white foam. Very musty aroma. Funky, even. Hay, grass and peppery herbs.

Extremely dry in the mouth. Spicy and herbal. Medicinal. A soft citric sweetness. It's begging for some pungent cheese.

I'll just go ahead and say I'm very impressed with this farmhouse ale. The best American example that I have ever had the privilege of tasting and, at the very least, the funkiest.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

750ml bottle poured into a large wine glass.

A - nice fizzy head, about 1-2 fingers and mostly white. The beer is a beautiful cloudy orangy-tan. Small bubbles rising to the top. Head forms a nice lace on top that stays for pretty much the whole duration of the beer drinking.

S - sweet citrus smell with some straw and what I've seen described as horse blanket. Sweet, yet rustic.

T - Such a great, complex taste. At first I taste the citrus, orange with some lemon and mango. Crisp, then smooths out and the taste of straw and raw grain kick in. A great funk lingers after the beer is swallowed, but light and not overpowering.

M - Thick, yet smooth. Will slide down the throat. A tiny bit sticky at the end for my taste, but not bad. The bubbles are a nice effervescent touch. Not champaigny at all.

This is such a great beer. I bought the 750ml thinking it would last me for days when I could have easily finished it in one sitting. Instead, I finished it in two. This is an easy drinker, yet a sipper. This is my first saison and I did a lot of research about the style before trying this. I feel this fits the category perfectly.

poured into flute from 750 mL. corked bottle
golden yellow color growing deeper from bottom to top. lively column of champagne-like bubbles continuously rose from bottom of glass. beautiful creamy three-finger high off-white head that slowly fizzled to 1/4 inch that had great retention. excellent chunky lacing. nose suggested yeast, lemon, sweet fruit, and a faint buttery chardonnay scent. tasted of spices, a hint of apple and sweetness, white grape skin, definite citrus, and balanced assertion from hops. light earthiness or herbal quality too. dry with a singing finish. mouthfeel was creamy and soft at first with great crispness after.
this is one incredible ale. enjoyable experience indeed.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Looks- Pours hazy yellow, with a golden shine when backlit. The offwhite bubbly head eases down to lace rings after a quick exit from the bottle.

Nose- Hearty yeast, with hints of orange zest. Not to mention the ever popular funk that makes this style so unique. A little bit of pepper aroma in there, too.

Taste&Mouthfeel- Peppery spice with a dash of cinnamon. Fruity sweetness and a doughy yeast presence all combine to make an excellent beer. Lightly carbonated and easily drank.

Overall, really one of the best beer experiences I've had in awhile. The total package. it does everything perfectly stylewise, but still remains extremely accessible. From the Elk Grove BevMo.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

hennepin pours a cloudy honey color with a huge cloudlike head that is an off white. lacing is heavy. smell is white grapes, ginger and citrus (orange peel?). flavor is complex, dry with a light alcohol note. can taste something fruit-like but can't put my finger on it....i'm new to the style. a terrific beer though can really taste ginger and corriander. spicey. mouthfeel is almost fuzzy with plenty of carbonation. could drink a couple but definatly not a session beer. i ain't no rockafella. $9.00 a bottle but worth it. definatly happy that i bought this brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Cloudy yellow-gold with a very thick head filled with countless small bubbles (I might have stirred up the yeast too much).

Smell - Immediately noticable sourness, without being overly funky. A slight citrus note with definite hints of pepper. Wonderfully floral bouquet.

Taste - Mildly spicy with a citrus hops character to it. As it warms, it sweetens well. Yeasty, but not overwhelmingly so. This is far more complex than most beers I am used to, but extremely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - As crisp and pleasantly carbonated a beer as I have ever had. This is as wonderful of a mouthfeel as I have ever had.

Drinkability - Based on the crispness and the complex taste, one would never guess this was nearing 8% ABV. I could easily down a couple of these, although to do so might take these in vain.

*This is probably my new favorite beer, and one of the most complex yet enjoyable beers I have ever had.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Belgian style ale, but brewed in the states. Hennepin pours a cloudy blonde color with a medium white head laced with carbonation. The taste is light on the hops with clean crisp citrus flavors. The is one of my all time favorites and is hard to believe this is brewed in New York.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, almost white, color. Has a very large, foamy head that dissipates fairly slowly and leaves some impressive lacing.

Smell: Strong apple and vinous notes with yeasty and peppery hints. Definitely smells like a saison.

Taste: Spicy and bitter throughout with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Has sweet, fruity notes throughout backed by a yeasty flavor as well. Quite complex and quite tasty.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with a pleasing crispness to it.

Drinkability: Quite delicious and quite possibly the best saision I've had to date (granted, I haven't had many). Thoroughly enjoyable and something everyone should try once. Truly a classic in the style!

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle poured in to a pint glass.

Cloudy straw yellow color with a big, fluffy, bone-white head.The head stuck around for a long time and left some very nice lacing.

Yeast and some sweeter citrus in the nose. Lemongrass, pineapple, and a little bit of fun and booze.

Citrus, fruit, and funk are up front in the flavor. The flavor then turns hoppy and spicy. It then has a nice clean finish of clove and yeast.

Medium bodied and very carbonated. Not overly dry and a crisp, clean finish.

Another great beer from Ommegang. Highly drinkable and refreshing. Could possibly be a new summer favorite for me.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

This is what a saison should be.

Everything. From its beautiful golden color and fluffy white head to a taste that is ever so slightly sweet, floral, and spicy. A little prickly in the mouth feel, but it would not put me off from drinking it all night.

First time drinking this and I will definitely be buying more. Good place to start if you are trying saisons for the first time.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tasted from a 750 ml bottle.

A - Color is a light gold. Slightly hazy. Head is white and inches high on the initial pour. Later is recedes to a paper thin sheet with some lacing. Large bubbles are constantly rising through the beer.

S - The aromas are spicy and interesting. I get cracked pilsner grain, leather, black pepper, coriander. There are more aromas in there, but I can't pick them out. No overt hops; a low yeast note on the end.

T - Flavors of cracked grain and black pepper lead off. This is followed by herbal grassy notes that seem to be from spices or yeast. The mid-palate is buttery and slightly sweet. There is enough hops bitterness to cut the sweetness, but no hops flavor that I can detect. The finish is dry. The overall flavor impression is crisp and fresh, but very deep and complex.

M - Medium body with silky smooth carbonation. Low alcohol presence. Clean, crisp finish despite the slight sweetness.

O - This is a smooth drinkable beer full of interesting spiciness. Very complex without being cloying. World class.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

Where to begin... The presentation of this beer is stunning! It's corked and caged in a brown, round-lipped bottle that is incredibly classy for the low price. A very cautious uncorking releases pressure with a crack and swirly haze rises from the mouth of the bottle like in a mad scientist's lab. The anticipation nearly kills me...

Hennepin pours into my tulip glass a glowing orange with an off-white head of large bubbles that builds rapidly (I love you, tulip) and surprises me with its retention, forming chunky mountains that fade only when I get them all over my face for the first sip. Rising columns of tiny bubbles mark the depths of this slightly opaque beer. Lacing clings completely like spackle. Very enticing indeed.

The smell is very small... I'm lucky to catch a couple of tiny, seductive notes of alcohol and roasted nuts... A few things whizz past too fast for me to really make them out? Definitely enticing, but not exactly pungent.

Taking a deep sip sets the tip of my tongue off, huge sweetness helped by swishy carbonation, a balanced middle... A caress of flavors on the back of the tongue... It's VERY well-balanced and not too sweet or bitter. Citrus, honey, slightly metallic notes, just a little tart.

Mouthfeel is pretty unreal. There's a very, very thin caramel left by those swishy bubbles of carbonation; A medium body that in my opinion is too good to be true. Alcohol warms the back of the tongue and immediately sets off good feelings in my belly. This beer does 7.5%abv as well as I could ever hope. I can barely taste it, but the effects relax my muscles and stimulate my mind. No booziness. Drinkability is superb.. I think I might drink the whole bottle. I think this beer gets the highest scoring of those I've rated here so far.

The way this beer is presented and tastes, I could easily be fooled into thinking it's a $15 Belgian import. $5.69, are you kidding me? Unreal!

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - pours a cloudy/clear ale with a tremendous amount of white, bubbly head. real good carbonation occurring, very lively and fresh looking.

Smell - picking up some grassy nodes, along with slight citrus. there are hints of banana in there as well, although subtle.

Taste - oh man, what a great tasting beer. some sweet, little bitterness near the end, so good. you can really taste the sweet from banana's early, the hops and grass nodes add the bitterness to the end.

Mouthfeel - very full, very rich, very dynamic, adds such a sweetness to the beer while bringing the bitterness fwd even more. So good!

Overall - what a fantastic beer, one of the best i have had in awhile, so complete and so well balanced.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

A: a nice layer of bone white fuzz rests atop a light golden peach body, with some light yellows shining through. Some lacing is present

S: a pinch of spices, funk, hay, and some hops. The nose is a bouquet of wonderful smells. A late dried sour apple nose is showing up

T: the taste is sheer deliciousness. In no particular order: honey, hops, a wedge of lemon, a slice of green apple, peppery, and citrusy while maintaing a light funk and earthy dimension. Hops start to get herbal-like and grassy after a while. Malts are sweet and biscuity

M: feels like a million. Lighter body with ample carbonation, the tickling kind. Top marks are for balance in the body as its light but maintains a solid presence

D: wonderful, absolutely wonderful beer

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a pale straw color, with a pillowy, loose white head, that wants to overflow. I slow the pour down, but inadvertently get a bit of the yeast sediment stirred up. Won't bother me, but clouds the overall presentation. (I obviously won't take this into account as far as ratings go however.)

Smells peppery, and honey sweet.

Tastes of honey mingle with the light doughy malt flavor. Also prominent are pepper and lemon flavors. Decently hopped, and while the bitterness is detectable, it plays its part without having to have all of the attention. I'm picking up some other fruity notes as well, although I can't quite decide if it's more of an apricot, or maybe even a pear. Either way, very good.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart and crisp, semi-dry finish, and it leaves me with a desire for more.

Overall, I really dig this beer. I quit smoking a few months ago, and I can definitely taste more now, than when I tried the same beer a couple of years ago. I will be drinking this much more often, and trying as many Saisons as I can get my hands on too.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear golden yellow, decent bubbly head that dissipates leaving a nice thin layer of foam. Smells of medicinal phenols, clove, spiciness from the clove, light malty tones, touch of funk, just incredible. Tastes of dry, crisp spicy malt with a nice crisp bitterness and dry finish. Nice phenols and clove throughout balanced nicely with a clean malt. Some orange perhaps? Some earthy hops near the end, but muted by the spicy dry finish. Thin mouthfeel that is perfect for this style.

An amazing saison, lots of flavor, not sure if its from the malt or the added ingredients (ginger and orange, i think). Not super dry but being an American interpretation, one of the best for its style.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang Hennepin has a rather thin, fizzy, root beer-like, off-white head and a hazy, extremely bubbly, lemon-yellow appearance, with some lacing left behind. This beer clouds up, once the bottom caked brown substance is swished loose and poured in. The aroma is of citrus zest, sugar, biscuit, spices, and candy, and the flavor is of all that, with some mellow bitterness detected in the background. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly, and Ommegang Hennepin finishes champagne dry, refreshing, lively, and very drinkable for a 7%+ alcohol beer. Overall, it’s really wonderful, and I score it most excellent. I would like to try a stripped-down version, without the spices to see how it holds up.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer was poured out of a 12 ounce bottle. Served cool.

The body is Lemondrop yellow with a very thick White head

Smells like cloves and hay

Very herbal taste somewhat bitter, cloves and medicinal herbs. Very slight boozy finish

Well carbonated

This is a very nice. I would certainly have again

750 ml. bottle.
First glass pours a nice deep copper with a billowy white head that quickly recedes. Light to moderate lace. Very fruity scents, including apple. Spices are ginger and coriander. This is a beutifully spiced brew from start to finish. Low peppery image mixed with fruit produces a cidery quality. This beer makes no apology and produces a very bold flavor. The finish is stong with belgian malt and a hint of alcohol. Worth the 3.99 price tag, to be as understating as possible. Second glass gives an entirely different character, as I add all of the yeast. Everytime I buy this beer I wonder why I don't buy it more often.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer is one of my all time favorites.

It pours golden clear with a nice off white head. Good retention.

Smells like a mixture of fruit and malt. Spicy notes. Very nice.

This Belgian beer is everything that this style is about. It is not over sweet or over refined. It is PERFECT!

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Tasting this beer takes me back to Father's Day 2005. My girls took me on a brewery tour in Bruges at the Straffe Hendrik Brewery. They were serving their Saison. Hennepin has managed to capture the essence of the Belgium brewing style. A smooth blend of fruit, sour, and muted bread flavors that perfectly mask the relatively high alcohol content. I recently had one of these while watching Rick Steves give a HD tour of of the Grand Place in Brussels - perfect.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. My bottle says packaged on 7/30/2009, best by 7/2011.

Appearance: hazy light golden color with lots of apparent effervescence and two fingers of puffy white head. Looks good to me.

Smell: light pear aroma with a nice bit of chalkiness. It's kind of one-dimensional here but I really like this particular dimension. Simply delicious-smelling.

Taste: again, light pear with a distinct and delicious chalkiness. There is a tiny hint of malty funk buried underneath the delicious subtlety; it peeks out a bit toward the end along with a nice smooth bitterness. This is a delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with good carbonation and cream, cream, cream. Outstanding.

Drinkability: as I said, simply delicious. I've never had Hennepin before, but this might have to become a staple in my household.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured a 750 into a Chimay chalice (3 pours). Pours a hazy golden color with a huge bright white head that has left no lacing down the glass. The aroma is amazing. This beer has more distant aromas then any other I've had. There is Nutmeg, coriander, earth, yeast, bread, and a plethora of others that I just can't name yet because my nose isn’t refined enough yet. I definitely need to return to this beer later. Taste is spicy, lots of nutmeg along with cinnamon and allspice with an earthly, alkaline taste to boot. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a bit of carbonation. An oily residue coats your mouth with this earthy goodness. Great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into an Ommegang goblet that I got for free along with the purchase of this bottle...KICK ASS! Golden and orange with a huge, two-finger, fluffy head. Citrusy hop aroma filled with lemon, orange, grapefruit, and flowers. Very pleasant. Great taste. A little on the acidic side, but the hops really play against each other very well. A very drinkable beer that I will most definitely be purchasing again though I prefer the regular Ommegang to this.

Update (4/12/05):
Just had Hennepin on-tap @ The Elephant Walk in Boston, MA. Amazing. The aroma really came out more than before . Very citrusy. It was also dangerously drinkable. Served in a pint glass, but I'll let it slide because it just means I got more bang for my buck. And what a bang it was! (Insert dirty response here).

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang