Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,543
4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

Are you tired of spending your inheritance for those wonderful Belgian brews. I say they are well worth it, but .... My dealer sells a big 750 ml bottle of Hennepin for only about $8. That's a bargain.

The cork pops off and tons of smoke rolls up and hovers on top of the big bottle. When you pour, a big white head emerges with plenty of lacing. Hennipen wonderful Belgian style beer with a classic Belgian look of hazy and cloudy golden brews.

Taste so good I forgot to get whiff. So I pour some more and discover a wondrous beer smell. I will just sum it up as quite interesting and complex. Beautiful sturdy head built up in my Ommegang Chalice. A golden murky look. I loove that.

Taste is damn good. This is less hoppy with a sweet after-taste and still a little tangy sour, but Hennepin is nice and subtle. There is some subtle sweetness with sour fruitiness. Hennipen is balanced. Malty yeasty flavors.

And it's so drinkable. This beer slides real nice over my tongue and gives me so many nice tastes and a great texture that is a tiny bubbly Belgium fizz that I love so much. The carbonation reminds me of New Belgium's Fat Tire. But the flavor has much more ...uumph! This beer compares closer to the Tremens.

This beer arises to one of my top five favorite paler golden brews. It may be in the top 2 or 3. Damn fine beer and powerful. Kicks your white butt too. Pretty strong brew.

So what should you listen to while drinking this brew? I would recommend folk singer Greg Brown. His new cd Freak Flag would be a hip choice. I might also recommend his recording The Iowa Waltz.

You may want to save this beer for UEFA Champions League soccer matches. Love ya dogs. Go Tottenham! And good luck to the Belgium team in Brazil. Damn, they have enough good players that they could damn well steal the cup.

Serving type: bottle (1,843 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Beautiful hazy golden straw, huge white head that lasts with appropriate lacing.

S - Roses, light citrus, bread, and that indescribable quality of Belgian yeast.

T - Beautiful blend of lemon zest, residual sweetness, and spicy, minty hops. Nice note of cinnamon.

M - Uh, it's perfect. sweet, frothy, and alive, good dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, very refreshing. This beer is gonna make me re-evaluate the style... (425 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Slightly hazy dull golden color with heavy carbonation. Pours an amazingly dense 2 finger peak and valley head. Some lace too.
S: Complex swirl of florals, yeast, peppery spices and a little orange.
T: So much going on with this. Tartness up front with a little orange and some sweet malt followed with numerous spices - coriander most notably - and some yeast. Hops comes through predominantly towards the end. Interplay between all of these things is constant throughout and changes as it warms.
M: Carbination makes this pretty airy and bubbly. Really dry finish that screams give me more.
D: A 750 is never enough which can be trouble given the ABV. One of my all time favorites. (691 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Ok...first time I am tasting this beer...really.
Pours a beautiful orange/yellow clear liquid with a nice half finger head that melts very slowly to fine lacing.
Aroma is both belgium yeasts, which I love, and fresh tropical fruits....oranges, mangos, pineapple.
Taste is sharply tart of citrus with bananas and a substantial drying.
I am sure there is more complexity than I am describing, but I am drinking this with a dinner of smoked ribs and cole slaw and I can see how people say it goes with everything.
The ribs are spicy and the coleslaw is full of vinegar, but the Hennepin washes the pallet perfectly with it's dry bitterness leaving you ready for the next bite....totallly clean.
Wonderful brew.
Yes...it is the perfect dinner beer. (751 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

I may never touch another Belgian after this American offering. Poured a cloudy yellow with a good head. The taste was perfect. Great hops, nice "puckering" taste. As I finished the bottle, I cursed myself for not picking up more than one. Just all around supurb. (263 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Cloudy, honey-orange, rocky whitish head, laced well. Unrefined honey, light mustiness, and the faintest pepper assembles the organic bouquet of the nose. A fairly potent peppery flavor in the foreground, soothing light banana-honey in the middle, a bite of citrus at the end, tart but not overpowering. Hennepin is a fulfilling quaff without a brawny body, a remarkable accomplishment. Impressively complex, unrefined… raw, yet, unsacrificing towards drinkability. This is too good to be domestic, a gift from the beer Gods. Highly recommend and very worthy of its elite status.

‘Taste’ merits a rating higher than “5”! (629 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

This is possibly one of the best beers that I have ever had. It was on-tap and served in a tulip glass. It was a slightly hazy yellow/wheat color. It had a very white head that was retained for a little while. It gave off a nice citrus aroma with additional hints of spices and yeast. At first I thought this was a Witbier until the bartender told me otherwise as the taste did have similar characteristics. The carbonation was good and the beer was very smooth. Overall this beer is very drinkable in any setting, perhaps not as a session beer, but should be enjoyed early and often. (584 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

This is the Hennepin that I have heard so much about and it lived up to expectations. This beer is superior in all categories. A+!!!

Look: A warm and inviting golden yet opaque appearance with greater than average head and lace retention.

Nose: I thought I smelled an orange-and-hop combination. Quite pleasing aroma none the less.

Taste: The flavor seemed to effloresce in my mouth like a sunflower bursting into bloom. Again orange and hops is how I tasted it.

Mouth: Creamy delicious.

Drinkability: No brainer here: It is clearly one of the easiest beers I have ever drunk.

What a Joy! (594 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a Bottle that had chilled in the fridge for about an hour. A very hazy deep amber color was present in the glass at first but cleared up some as it sat. The taste is very vibrant in the mouth and consists of several zingy citrus fruits, a light hoppy character in the middle with a reminiscence of wheat grain, and finishes beautifully in a cascade of flavors that dance around the mouth well after swallowing. Personally, not my kind of flavored but a lot of care and attention has clearly been put into the brewing process for this one. (551 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Light blonde body that’s very clear and topped off with a thick white head.
Smell:
Spices and mild citrus fruit are up front, mild alcohol and wheat all hit you at once.
Taste:
Grapefruit, although very mild, is present, the spiciness really makes this ale tasteful, some grass flavors come through too. A little peppercorn mixed in with lemon and orange zest make for an interesting ale.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Overall:
This is an excellent ale, the flavor is complex and makes you yearn for another drink, the aroma is sweet overall and really inviting. I highly recommend drinking this ale. (641 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a Unibroue tulip. Sudsy, foamy white head with nice retention. Soapy lacing. Body is hazy, lemony yellow. Aroma is a wispy mix of pepper, lemon, hops, grass and funk. Taste is fruity, funky, lemon zesty and delicious. Maybe the best domestic interpretation of the style? Maybe. Just great. (320 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

L: Pours a golden hazy yellow color with a tall and thick white colored head that fades somewhat slowly and leaves alot of nice lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet lightly toasted malts, some wheat aromas as well, then some fruity yeast flavors and a hint of citris.
T: Follows the nose very well. Nice light toasted malts, some wheat, then some fruity yeast and a hint of citris at the end of it. The yeast flavors were not as overpowering as I thought they would be which was excellent.
M: Very light feeling and the alcohol was not present, smooth, refreshing.
D: Very drinkable beer. (593 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

My cup runeth over. My label features little famers--Quaker looking folk--in a canoe raising their goblets to the new corn moon. Okay, maybe I'm confusing this beer with a Disney song. But this beauty simply soars. Pale sunset russet on the eye with creamy head buoyant enough to bear fair Aphrodite on its delicate foam. Champange on the nose, but something else too.....something stinky like a soft ripened cheese, but also heavily citrus. Teasingly effervescent with bubbles bursting like ripe muscat grapes on the palate. And then an unexpected aromatic twist--a faintly metallic tang. Light on the tongue, creamy, well done spices. A breathtaking achievement from Cooperstown. Please, Sir, may I have another? (724 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance
A striking golden yellow that’s hazy and wears an inviting white cap of foam

Smell
Zesty tartness, a bit wheaty, inviting

Taste & Body
Lots of subtlety and complexity make this a wonderful beer. It starts off soft, tasting of oats and lightly of wheat; underneath it all is a tart current that keeps it all in line; finish is more tartness mixed with some punchy, citrus hops. Wonderful!

Overall
I can’t believe I’m just now having this for the first time. I’ve been missing out! Great, great beer here. I’ll be trying all of Ommegang’s beer in short time. (582 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearence - Poured a brilliant golden-orange into my goblet, with a small creamy white head that never went away. Looks great, wish I had a camera to take a pic of it.

Smell - Smells of citrus, like ripened lemon's with a bit of zestyness, really smells enticing.

Taste - Wow, starts off sweet, with a nice bready flavor which subsides into a lemon/orange citrus taste. As it warms up the bready flavor is up front and the citrus comes out more, warming up a little only makes this better.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, bubbly, slightly earthy. Goes down smooth, and feels nice in the mouth.

Drinkability - Had a 750ml bottle, and I want more! This was good, was my first saison style and now I want another. (711 characters)

75 cl bottle.
I can hardly believe this beer is made in NY!
Cloudy, dark straw copper, but the cloudy was most likely yeast stirred up during transportation. Impressive, chunky head.
Very complex smell: apples, apricot, citrus, malt, horse blanket, alchohol.
What a great taste. This ale compares more than favorably with Begium brews. I had it back to back with Delirium Tremens and was surprised with Hennepin's well balanced hoppiness and smooth malt character. And at roughly $5 a bottle, it is about the best beer bargain I can think of. (549 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured a cloudy light gold with a retentive, large-bubbled head.

Aroma is estery, fruity, with sour notes of cherries, cloves, pears and alcohol.

Flavor is balanced, light and sweet yet complex at the same time. A pleasant, non-diacetyl sour lemon flavor keeps the sweeter esters in check; pear and a mild clove come through in the finish, with a yeasty, drying aspect. There is no hint of alcohol here other than a slight warming a full 2-3 seconds after the sip is swallowed... but there are leafy, spicy hops as well. Not in a capacity to overpower, but just enough to make things all the more interesting. Never cloying nor thick, this just keeps tempting another sip.. and another...and another.

Hennepin takes all the best qualities of a hefeweisen, belgian, and ale... and combines them into a ridiculously drinkable beer. I'm totally in love with this, and rating accordingly. A new favorite; Premier Gourmet will be seeing my quick return to establish a personal stash, at $5 a bomber. (1,003 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Ok, time to review the brilliant Ommegang Hennepin. I first experienced this on tap, but am writing the review based on a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance - Golden with a soft white head, firm but not too pillowy. Head slowly dissipates, but a quarter inch remains.

Smell - Spicy, with a little fruitiness.

Taste - Wow. Refreshing, with more fruit, and a hint of apple. Almost a sour, but satisfying, finish. Pretty tart. Lots of depth to the flavor, and a tasty lingering on the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Incredibly crisp. Just a very refreshing beer. Not heavy or creamy, but sharp.

Drinkability - Absolutely off the charts. for such a potent beer, I could pack these away. When I order this at the bar I have to limit myself to only two, or I know I'll end up going too far.

This is one of my favorite beers, ever. An excellent example of the style, that on a blind test most drinkers would assume was imported from Belgium, not Cooperstown. (938 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

There is no doubt that this is an exceptional product. Enjoyable at the brewery on tap or in bottle; either way you can taste the love here! VIA the pour you will receive a nice bulky-chunky dense foamy head, of which some remained throughout the entire sampling experience. The aroma is one of fine yeast and clean doughy must; completely appealing and totally appropriate. The hue of light clover honey fills the glass with a noticeable haze from the presence of the generous quantity of yeast within. The taste is awesome; honey-lemon laden fruit cake, good bitter citric element just rides to the point of being discernable-hiding waiting to be noticed. The combination of the refreshing citric element, honorable weight and flavors bursting from the seams makes this a virtual session brew lacking the cloying heaviness of some of it's counterparts. With a meal or just plain "neat", this Saison will please the "farmer" in all of us! (See you at the "Farm" in July when Belgium comes to
Cooperstown!!) (1,009 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

All I can say is pure liquid gold. It pours a murky gold color with a white two finger head. It had a grainy,citrusy smell with a bit of hops thrown in. Big citrus and wheat flavor with a bit of honey. A very refreshing and crisp beer. It is easily a session beer for me. (271 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

The style description inspired me to pick this up. Beautiful packaging, corked and caged and a few facts about the beer and the brewer.
Golden color up against the light. Fluffy little head that's off-white with tan and yellow dimples.
Smell - Wow! Very fruity and sweet but balanced with a great hit of yeast and malt. I smell raisins and bananas, yum.
It tastes very unlike anything I've had so far. It's sharp and flavorful, full of fruit and malt.
Mouthfeel - good full body and a sweet syrupy finish. I feel like I'm eating more than drinking it.

Note - I've tried a couple of Belgian style beers in the past and never been impressed... this has changed my opinion. This may be my favorite beer to date. If you try this beer do yourself a favor and pick up more than one. (784 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

750 ml champagne style bottle purchased at the bewery. Cave-Aged Version. Poured into an Ommegang glass.

As good as the regular Hennepin is, this version that was aged in caves for eight months in upstate New York is even better. It is not as sharp, and is slightly sweeter. There is a slight apple sweetness to both the smell and the taste that is wonderful. The is still a slight spicy bite upfront, but it mellows into a wonderfully smooth finish. This is one of the best domestic beer I have had the pleasure to try. I think it might be even better with another few months of aging, that would allow it to mellow even more. (630 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

On-Tap. Poured into a tulip glass.

1" white head above a body on the yellow side of light amber. Carbonation steadily flows holding the head which leaves good lacing.

Smells of some sweet fruitiness but a good amount of peppery spiciness.

Tastes are sweet Belgian sugar flavors, some lemony fruitiness, pepper. The malt flavors along the lines of fresh baked bread. A warmth his the palate late and it finishes dry.

Mouthfeel is moderate with good carbonation.

Drinkability is wonderful. The flavors are strong but I love them and don't see my palate getting too tired of them.

This is the beer to pair with a big stinky cheese. (635 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Translucent pale, lemon yellow color. Large white foamy head that leaves slow, glacial lace and consistent retention. What I'd expect from a quality saison.

Earthy. Smells of clove, lemon, banana and gigner with Belgian sophistication (read yeast funk) and sugary wort. Smells farmish.

Aggressive taste: cracker malt with spicey versus tart balance and a dry tequila-esque umph in the middle. Mild orange juice fade. Crisp carbonation practically throws flavors on the pallette.

Has that hard to find balance between complexity and drinkability. Good stuff. (560 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

A pleasant fruity and spicey nose. Extremely carbonated, quite the spectacle. Head is thick and fluffy, almost weightless, endures long after your pour, sticky. Misty yellow-orange. Exceptional flavor. Fantastic belgian character. Home-town indeed. Prost! (262 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang