Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,094 | Hads: 5,632
4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Amazingly simply amazing. Sipping this beer I cannot describe the plothora of flavors present in it, but I'm not at that point, so I'll start with the appearence, which is mighty fine. Pours kind of a ruddy golden, head is like heavy cream, god it's beautiful. Left a huge covering, if not thick lacing.

It smells fairly standard, reminding me of a wheat beer and duvel. IMO the weakest point of the beer.

The flavor, god the flavor. smooth, complex and rich. Spicyness from the alchohol, wheat flavors, mild banana, sugars. God, I list all those and I can't even approach what I taste there. Amazing, simply amazing. In the back of it all, just a touch of bitter from the hops that calls out the contrasts and makes all the amazing maltiness of the beer just stand out even more.

even more than the flavor though, this beer rolls around the mouth, in perfect coordination with the carbonation and the full mouthfeel. It's almost like what champaigne would taste like if it had a roundness to match the carbonation.

As you can probably tell by now, i've had a bit of this stuff. Why? it's damn drinkable. Amazing, amazing brew, no if ands or buts.

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured in to the Ommegang proprietary glass.

A: Pours a nice light gold color with a thick head that sticks around. If you hold it up to the light it looks like an underwater shot of an ice pack. Nice release of carbonation while you admire the beer.

S: Smells yeasty with a hint of either citrus or pine maybe both.

T: There's so much to taste here. I can taste a muted hops combined with that yeasty taste. I don't taste the spice I kind of just feel it on my tongue. As it warms I can taste a fruity flavor.

M: I love how it sits on my tongue. Smooth but with an occasional bite.

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip just now!!! A beautiful 2 finger head that slowly falls leaving perfect lacing. Smell is of grass and earth with some light citrus notes. Taste is unreal!!! So wonderful and crisp and so many complexities. There is a ton of earthy, citrus and funky things going on with this one. I can't imagine a much better Saison than this example. (and it's from NY???) Wow, this is so almost perfect in every way. It hides the 7.7% ABV so well and dare I say, this may be a session beer! Another great job from Ommegang! Crisp, funky, earthy, PERFECT!!!

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a hazy golden color with a decent creamy white head that never fully sinks and leaves a decent lace down the glass. Huge bubblegum, banana and other lighter fruits, and spicy pepper dominate the smell. The taste starts off with some great light fruity flavors that is mostly dominated by banana with some possible peach and orange. About half way through the brew gets nicely spicy with some good peppery qualities to it. Excellently creamy and smooth but also fairly refreshing and excelently drinkable with a medium body to it. This is one damn fine brew and I can't wait to get my hands on some more.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Hazy glowing orange...looks like a gemstone, with a large bubbling head that shrinks to a fine white layer. Soothing spicy, sweet fruit esters - earthy floral and light pepper. Increasingly herbal. Thick juicy fruit start with a lingering spiciness and lightly tart in the finish. Pale malts throughout...a little warming and very fresh. Mouthfeel is medium and lightly dry with a little bite. Exremely drinkable and refreshing.

Very natural and enjoyable.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a cloudy gold colored brew with heavy carbonation.

Smell is apples and lemons, sage, flowers, spices, pears, and 20 more things I can't pin down at the moment.

Taste is sweet, spicy and complex. Perfume flavors abound like lavender, pepper, roses, apples, nutmeg, nuts, yeast, bread, and 10-20 more flavors.

Mouthfeel is much like Champagne, or Duvel.

Super drinkable, this is very similar to Duvel. Super pleasant to drink. Think of this as the Batman that opposes the Duvel Joker.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

I paid about $20 at Costco for a 3-pack variety of Ommegang 750ml's that included a nice Ommegang logo narrow tulip glass.

I poured this at 46 degrees into the Ommegang glass which produced a 2 finger light and fluffy head the color of raw cotton. A brilliant pale gold with straw colored edges with a light haze. Brisk carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

Great complex smell of Belgium yeast, lemon zest, grains, creamy. Really nice nose on this.

Best saison I've had. Grains, straw, and carbonation attack your palate first, following quickly by herbaceous notes and lemon zest and other citrus through the lingering finish. Maybe a hint of grapefruit flashing toward the end. Despite all the citrus notes, it is not in any way tart.

Goes down very smoothly. Carbonation is a shade high but the flavors meld together masterfully.

poured from 750mL bottle into an Ommegang tulip glass

A - Poured a thick honey golden color with a fiesta of bubbles racing from the bottom of the glass to the top. A generous bubbly head with lacing that crawls down the side of the glass.

S - Citrus, fruit medley...almost candy-like. Smells AMAZING.

T - You really can't go wrong with this beer. Nice hops, touch bitter, touch sweet, just fantastic.

M - Lots of carbonation. Leaves a bit of a bittery dry aftertaste.

D - Like all of Ommegang's beers, this is extremely delicious and drinkable.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

poured from cork and cage bottle into Ommegang tulip glass

Appearance: Two fingers of compact white head perch on top of a slightly hazy pale golden beer that tends to straw in strong light. Head dissipates reluctantly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma - lilac, clove, pepper, apricot, earth and hop spice all appear at different points in your progress through the glass. Also an occasional whiff of... yes... gasoline, or a sweetness in the nose that reminds one of gasoline. Which is waaay better than it sounds.

Taste - more lilac, spicy hops, marshmallow, malt, apricot and freshly turned earth all underpin a lightly sweet pale malt flavor profile. There's a refreshing dry graininess that recalls a nice Pilsener or Dortmunder which balances out the sweetness and the riot of subtle flavors that present themselves in various combinations as you drink. Highly carbonated, which brings some Champagne-like dry notes to the party.

Mouthfeel - This beer is slightly viscous - a too-warm bottle will be a little cloying and tongue-coating, but at 50-55 degrees it's great. It is possible to wear yourself out on this beer if you let it sit and warm to 70 degrees F.

Drinkability - A compulsively sippable beer, but not exactly sessionable. I want to *quaff* a Czech pils... I want to *consider* a Hennepin carefully, preferably alone and with a nice sourdough and aged cheese. I'm such a fop.

Other stuff: A soft smack of aroma hits the nose as you raise the glass, sometimes pepper, sometimes clove and malt, sometimes lilac, which is something I have never found in any other beer. The flavor changes too as you sip, sometimes earthy and sometimes sweet, while the heavy carbonation scrubs your tongue and brings more aromas through the back of your throat. After swallowing, the aroma stays and stays on the nose while the aftertaste lingers and changes on the tongue, as malt fades into hop bitterness and then a long finish of peppery spice and floral hops. When you get a well-handled bottle, this beer is a real treat.

Absolutely one of my favorite Saisons, and one of my all-time favorites of any style.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Very cloudy (my fault, stored incorrectly) deep sunshine yellow with a small, pure white head. (Again, I've served it a bit too cold). Thin lacing.

Smell: Very strong lemon/lime citrus aroma with sweet, almost butterscotch undertone and notes of honey. Very unusual and quite nice.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Fan-freakin'-tastic. Starts sweet with some herbal/medicinal notes, but quickly cuts to a unique bourbon/overripe fruit/malt sweetness; it tastes a bit like Yukon Jack. Tarts up nicely at the finish with a terrific citrus zing--you'll find yourself looking for the lemon slice floating in the glass. The mouthfeel is tight and crisp, with lively, brisk carbonation--very refreshing.

Drinkability: Exceptional, and amazingly light and crisp for a 7.5% ABV brew. I'd be honored to drink another, and I might just.

Now, THIS is a summer brew. Full, complex, satisfying, yet still wonderfully refreshing. A perfect example of the style, really couldn't be much better.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 750Ml corked bottle to a tulip glass.

Light straw colored, hazy with a frothy pure white rocky head. Effervescence gives a sustaining vibrant head and ample lacing. Mmmmm pretty....

Smells of earthy, grassy-hay hops, fruity esters. If you close your eyes it takes you straight to the rolling hills of wheat and barley.

Taste is fruity, frothy and spicy in the finish. Refreshing and satisfying. Mmmmm lemon grassy...

Light and crisp from start to finish a most enjoyable bottle of Farm-house! This has been a great appetizer beer for a group of beer-geeks over for a pregame football venue.

Go Blue!

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

That's all I can say. Phenominal.

Hennepin is my "stand-by" beer, so you could probably say that I am biased. If you believe so, stop reading my review. But I think my opinion is valid because I've had it 1,000,000,000 times, both in the conditioned bottle and on-tap.

Knowing that I must have a recent review to be valid, I went and got an imperial bottle of this from Wegmans (anybody who lives in the Rochester area knows about this store) and chilled it by letting it sit outside in the 4-degree weather for a wee bit. I poured it into a Brewery Ommegang glass.

The head rears up no matter how little you shake the bottle. Just get used to the idea of having a glass 3/4 full. The smell is funky, almost as if you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield. There are citrus notes from the flavoring hops, all of which are from the Czech Republic. Bubbles cascade upwards no matter how long it sits.

Now for the taste. It's dry and full, with a medium body and a present alcohol tone; immediatly commanding your mental faculties. The citrus-y flavor then hits, then the bitterness. Something I have noticed with the umptrillion times I've had this is that the flavors are very seperate and one notices them one-by-one, not all at once like many other Saisons.

After killing the whole 750-ml bottle, I'm pretty happy and require some time before I can drive, thanks to the 7.7% alcohol content.

My only gripe? Perhaps it's a bit too bitter. That's it.

It's not perfect, but damn close to it, and better than most of the actual Belgian Saisons and it's only $5.

P.S. Living just 2 hours from Cooperstown, I decided a road trip was in order. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have some of the best brews in this fine country of ours.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

a- This poured a very pale yellow gold with a lot of haze and a decent amount of carbonation. The white head was really fizzy and fluffy. Not the most attractive beer style in my opinion but that is allright, the other categories with rock your socks off.

s- Mmmmm. This smell is citrusy and yeasty with a hint of cinamon or perhaps other similar spices. I buried my nose in this like Jim Koch in the Sam Adams commercial. Very sweet and earthy with a decent amount of hoppage.

t- oh man. This tastes like duvel just not as harsh and bitey. I love it! The flavors such as pear and apple please the mouth and the alcohol isn't harsh at all. It is barely there even at 7.7%! The flavor is aweome and spicey w/some yeasty goodness. Makes me think of sour apple candy.

mf/d- Tingly and very drying. The feel is smooth but prickly from the carbonation. I am draining this 750ml bottle, it is so drinkable! Heheh the bottle is all mine.

Now before trying this I preffered the darker beligians a lot more and I still do, but not by as much. This was surprisingly perfect. I can't wait to try others of the style.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Are you tired of spending your inheritance for those wonderful Belgian brews. I say they are well worth it, but .... My dealer sells a big 750 ml bottle of Hennepin for only about $8. That's a bargain.

The cork pops off and tons of smoke rolls up and hovers on top of the big bottle. When you pour, a big white head emerges with plenty of lacing. Hennipen wonderful Belgian style beer with a classic Belgian look of hazy and cloudy golden brews.

Taste so good I forgot to get whiff. So I pour some more and discover a wondrous beer smell. I will just sum it up as quite interesting and complex. Beautiful sturdy head built up in my Ommegang Chalice. A golden murky look. I loove that.

Taste is damn good. This is less hoppy with a sweet after-taste and still a little tangy sour, but Hennepin is nice and subtle. There is some subtle sweetness with sour fruitiness. Hennipen is balanced. Malty yeasty flavors.

And it's so drinkable. This beer slides real nice over my tongue and gives me so many nice tastes and a great texture that is a tiny bubbly Belgium fizz that I love so much. The carbonation reminds me of New Belgium's Fat Tire. But the flavor has much more ...uumph! This beer compares closer to the Tremens.

This beer arises to one of my top five favorite paler golden brews. It may be in the top 2 or 3. Damn fine beer and powerful. Kicks your white butt too. Pretty strong brew.

So what should you listen to while drinking this brew? I would recommend folk singer Greg Brown. His new cd Freak Flag would be a hip choice. I might also recommend his recording The Iowa Waltz.

You may want to save this beer for UEFA Champions League soccer matches. Love ya dogs. Go Tottenham! And good luck to the Belgium team in Brazil. Damn, they have enough good players that they could damn well steal the cup.

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

A - Beautiful hazy golden straw, huge white head that lasts with appropriate lacing.

S - Roses, light citrus, bread, and that indescribable quality of Belgian yeast.

T - Beautiful blend of lemon zest, residual sweetness, and spicy, minty hops. Nice note of cinnamon.

M - Uh, it's perfect. sweet, frothy, and alive, good dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, very refreshing. This beer is gonna make me re-evaluate the style...

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Slightly hazy dull golden color with heavy carbonation. Pours an amazingly dense 2 finger peak and valley head. Some lace too.
S: Complex swirl of florals, yeast, peppery spices and a little orange.
T: So much going on with this. Tartness up front with a little orange and some sweet malt followed with numerous spices - coriander most notably - and some yeast. Hops comes through predominantly towards the end. Interplay between all of these things is constant throughout and changes as it warms.
M: Carbination makes this pretty airy and bubbly. Really dry finish that screams give me more.
D: A 750 is never enough which can be trouble given the ABV. One of my all time favorites.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Ok...first time I am tasting this beer...really.
Pours a beautiful orange/yellow clear liquid with a nice half finger head that melts very slowly to fine lacing.
Aroma is both belgium yeasts, which I love, and fresh tropical fruits....oranges, mangos, pineapple.
Taste is sharply tart of citrus with bananas and a substantial drying.
I am sure there is more complexity than I am describing, but I am drinking this with a dinner of smoked ribs and cole slaw and I can see how people say it goes with everything.
The ribs are spicy and the coleslaw is full of vinegar, but the Hennepin washes the pallet perfectly with it's dry bitterness leaving you ready for the next bite....totallly clean.
Wonderful brew.
Yes...it is the perfect dinner beer.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

I may never touch another Belgian after this American offering. Poured a cloudy yellow with a good head. The taste was perfect. Great hops, nice "puckering" taste. As I finished the bottle, I cursed myself for not picking up more than one. Just all around supurb.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Cloudy, honey-orange, rocky whitish head, laced well. Unrefined honey, light mustiness, and the faintest pepper assembles the organic bouquet of the nose. A fairly potent peppery flavor in the foreground, soothing light banana-honey in the middle, a bite of citrus at the end, tart but not overpowering. Hennepin is a fulfilling quaff without a brawny body, a remarkable accomplishment. Impressively complex, unrefined… raw, yet, unsacrificing towards drinkability. This is too good to be domestic, a gift from the beer Gods. Highly recommend and very worthy of its elite status.

‘Taste’ merits a rating higher than “5”!

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is possibly one of the best beers that I have ever had. It was on-tap and served in a tulip glass. It was a slightly hazy yellow/wheat color. It had a very white head that was retained for a little while. It gave off a nice citrus aroma with additional hints of spices and yeast. At first I thought this was a Witbier until the bartender told me otherwise as the taste did have similar characteristics. The carbonation was good and the beer was very smooth. Overall this beer is very drinkable in any setting, perhaps not as a session beer, but should be enjoyed early and often.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the Hennepin that I have heard so much about and it lived up to expectations. This beer is superior in all categories. A+!!!

Look: A warm and inviting golden yet opaque appearance with greater than average head and lace retention.

Nose: I thought I smelled an orange-and-hop combination. Quite pleasing aroma none the less.

Taste: The flavor seemed to effloresce in my mouth like a sunflower bursting into bloom. Again orange and hops is how I tasted it.

Mouth: Creamy delicious.

Drinkability: No brainer here: It is clearly one of the easiest beers I have ever drunk.

What a Joy!

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a Bottle that had chilled in the fridge for about an hour. A very hazy deep amber color was present in the glass at first but cleared up some as it sat. The taste is very vibrant in the mouth and consists of several zingy citrus fruits, a light hoppy character in the middle with a reminiscence of wheat grain, and finishes beautifully in a cascade of flavors that dance around the mouth well after swallowing. Personally, not my kind of flavored but a lot of care and attention has clearly been put into the brewing process for this one.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Light blonde body that’s very clear and topped off with a thick white head.
Spices and mild citrus fruit are up front, mild alcohol and wheat all hit you at once.
Grapefruit, although very mild, is present, the spiciness really makes this ale tasteful, some grass flavors come through too. A little peppercorn mixed in with lemon and orange zest make for an interesting ale.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

This is an excellent ale, the flavor is complex and makes you yearn for another drink, the aroma is sweet overall and really inviting. I highly recommend drinking this ale.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a Unibroue tulip. Sudsy, foamy white head with nice retention. Soapy lacing. Body is hazy, lemony yellow. Aroma is a wispy mix of pepper, lemon, hops, grass and funk. Taste is fruity, funky, lemon zesty and delicious. Maybe the best domestic interpretation of the style? Maybe. Just great.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

L: Pours a golden hazy yellow color with a tall and thick white colored head that fades somewhat slowly and leaves alot of nice lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of sweet lightly toasted malts, some wheat aromas as well, then some fruity yeast flavors and a hint of citris.
T: Follows the nose very well. Nice light toasted malts, some wheat, then some fruity yeast and a hint of citris at the end of it. The yeast flavors were not as overpowering as I thought they would be which was excellent.
M: Very light feeling and the alcohol was not present, smooth, refreshing.
D: Very drinkable beer.