Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

bendukes86, Dec 27, 2012

bernat1971, Jun 01, 2014

khargro2, Sep 15, 2012

dbauer, Jun 19, 2014

sketchyhoodie, Mar 29, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

Okay. This is not so much a review as it is a warning. First I have to say that I'm a big fan of Omm brews. And all the reviews of Hennepin are pretty accurate concerning appearance, smelll, etc. But one reviewer said "The beer finishes with sweet notes and yeast". I'd say it finishes with a bitter over hopped taste that lingers until you brush your teeth. Now you serious beer guys aren't going to like this, but in the spirit of keeping the gravity, I cut this ale with Keystone Ice rather than flush it. I'll stick with the Ommegang Abbey Ale. Like I said earlier, I can't disagree with the myriad of excellent reviews of this offering from Ommegang, if this style suits your taste. But if, like me, you were introduced to Ommegang through their Abbey Ale or Wheat...Whit...Weiss, whatever you choose to call it, the Hennepin is a different beast.

theBubba, Dec 20, 2008

Andrewcc57, Aug 05, 2014

Waveoff, Jul 17, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not to be the spoiler of fun, I'm just not a fan of this particular beer. The first time I had it, I liked it, but I have had many since then and haven't liked it much at all.
It pours into the glass a hazy orangish yellow with a huge head. I tried to control it, but it was like racing a car on ice with a blown tire, I couldn't win. But it does give the drinker a decent chance to smell of what he/she is drinking. The smell was hoppy, but it has a great deal of sweetness to it. The taste is bready to say the least. It's not much different than bitting into a slice of wonder bread. There are some hoppy qualities to it. A bitterness and also a sweetness.
Normally these are qualities that I like in a beer, but it doesn't sork for me in the Hennepin.

CBFanWish, Jan 16, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

I am drinking a sample from a corked and caged 750 bottle at cellar temp in a snifter.
The beer pours very lite yellow like champagne. A fluffy and frothy bleached white head foams up 3 cm easily. tons of rising streams of bubbles in the glass.
Aroma is mild but I get some green apple and pears, a bit of biscuity yeast and some funky musty basement scent.
FIrst sip reveals average body and intense prickly carbonation. Carbonation definitely overwhelms the flavor on the first sip.
Flavor is light and fruity with some apples and pears just like the nose. A bit of genearl tart fruitiness too. I also get some candy sugar that I find a bit too sweet and slightly unappealing. The flavor of the beer reminds me of champagne just like the appearance did. The beer finishes with some dryness, again champagneesque. OVerall the beer is okay, but if I wanted to drink champagne I would buy a bottle. Probably wont try this one again.

sulldaddy, Jan 30, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

This was my first Saison/Farmhouse. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Ft. Worth.
I'm guessing that the whole horse blanket Brett taste isn't for me. I just found it to be a taste and smell that I'm not fond of. The beer looked fine with a nice head and nice lacing, and I'm sure that the fine craftspeople at Ommegang made this beer just how they wanted to, but unfortunately its not for me. Not gonna have another.

joshuadlight, Mar 21, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing.

gboy515duo, Jul 19, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor.

bturton, Apr 25, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

corked and caged 750ml that my roommate got for Xmas and was not keen on trying. Thanks, Matt! You da man!

A- Carefully poured, as this has settled for about 10 months in the fridge. A huge fluffy head that fizzes down, beer is pale pale yellow.

S- Fruity, bready, nice floral notes (lilac).

T- Same as the nose, but with a lot of medicinal notes too. The inside of a pill bottle. Not my favorite. Cloves creep in and cloud out the floral/perfumey sweetness that I like.

M- Body is a bit thin, the finish is pretty clean, nix the medicinal notes and let's talk.

D- Moderate- Easy enough to drink but just not in my wheelhouse. A good beer but not for me. So it goes.

ShogoKawada, Oct 06, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Heard so much about this beer and having been a BA for nearly four years, I cannot believe I am only now trying it for the first time.
The 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white head probably three inches thick. Looks nice. Smell was good, but rather off for the style, I thought. Smell was more akin to a tripel than a farmhouse saison. The damp, musty, basement smell present in nearly every saison I have ever had is totally abscent in this one. Taste, too was far from a saison, IMO. Also, likely the worst thing about this is the detectable level of alcohol. To me, a farmhouse saison should be smooth and easy drinking, smell like a mouldy, damp basement, and have a rather pronounced tartness. This is bereft of any of the afore mentioned traits, and again, if I were just given this to drink, not knowing what it was, I'd probably enjoy it and exlaim, "I've had better tripels, but this one's not bad.." I don't know guys, for all the hype surrounding this one, I must admit, I'm quite dis-pleased with it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

SilentSabre, Jul 27, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Aromas are a bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus. Dry pilsner bready biscuity malts are also detectable. Belgiany yeast is fairly apparent as well.

The taste is fairly aggressive for a saison (or at least what I prefer in my saisons). All kinds of things happening here. Alcohol isn't midden all that well and the esters aren't in balance with the hops, really sharp finish as well; really not a fan. Thick, yet extremely bubbly mouthfeel; carbonation is apparent for sure.

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality.

claspada, Nov 17, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

assurbanipaul, May 28, 2003