Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

This was my first Saison/Farmhouse. I had it on tap at the Flying Saucer in Ft. Worth.
I'm guessing that the whole horse blanket Brett taste isn't for me. I just found it to be a taste and smell that I'm not fond of. The beer looked fine with a nice head and nice lacing, and I'm sure that the fine craftspeople at Ommegang made this beer just how they wanted to, but unfortunately its not for me. Not gonna have another.

joshuadlight, Mar 21, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing.

gboy515duo, Jul 19, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor.

bturton, Apr 25, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

corked and caged 750ml that my roommate got for Xmas and was not keen on trying. Thanks, Matt! You da man!

A- Carefully poured, as this has settled for about 10 months in the fridge. A huge fluffy head that fizzes down, beer is pale pale yellow.

S- Fruity, bready, nice floral notes (lilac).

T- Same as the nose, but with a lot of medicinal notes too. The inside of a pill bottle. Not my favorite. Cloves creep in and cloud out the floral/perfumey sweetness that I like.

M- Body is a bit thin, the finish is pretty clean, nix the medicinal notes and let's talk.

D- Moderate- Easy enough to drink but just not in my wheelhouse. A good beer but not for me. So it goes.

ShogoKawada, Oct 06, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Heard so much about this beer and having been a BA for nearly four years, I cannot believe I am only now trying it for the first time.
The 12oz bottle poured into my pint glass a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white head probably three inches thick. Looks nice. Smell was good, but rather off for the style, I thought. Smell was more akin to a tripel than a farmhouse saison. The damp, musty, basement smell present in nearly every saison I have ever had is totally abscent in this one. Taste, too was far from a saison, IMO. Also, likely the worst thing about this is the detectable level of alcohol. To me, a farmhouse saison should be smooth and easy drinking, smell like a mouldy, damp basement, and have a rather pronounced tartness. This is bereft of any of the afore mentioned traits, and again, if I were just given this to drink, not knowing what it was, I'd probably enjoy it and exlaim, "I've had better tripels, but this one's not bad.." I don't know guys, for all the hype surrounding this one, I must admit, I'm quite dis-pleased with it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

SilentSabre, Jul 27, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Aromas are a bunch of upfront floral and spicy notes with pungent citrus. Dry pilsner bready biscuity malts are also detectable. Belgiany yeast is fairly apparent as well.

The taste is fairly aggressive for a saison (or at least what I prefer in my saisons). All kinds of things happening here. Alcohol isn't midden all that well and the esters aren't in balance with the hops, really sharp finish as well; really not a fan. Thick, yet extremely bubbly mouthfeel; carbonation is apparent for sure.

This is a real aggressive saison. I can tell it's extremely well-made, as Ommegang doesn't mess around when it comes to making good Belgian beer. I was a little put off by the rather strong alcoholic character, but perhaps that's how it should be. I admire the complexity and adventurous quality.

claspada, Nov 17, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Golden and strong, light citrus aroma. This bottle had a heavy ammonia odor also, so my sample and evaluation may be tainted. Otherwise, another failed American attempt at a Belgian ale. However, I will say that this bottle's label is the most artistic and attractive that I've ever seen on a brew.

assurbanipaul, May 28, 2003

sennin, Jul 30, 2012

BradleyR, Apr 04, 2013

od_sf, Nov 05, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. Smells kind of like a hefeweisen to me. I think I smell lemon, but I can’t tell whether this is just because so many beers get served with a lemon slice in the US. Nose is a little richer second time around, a little earthier and more cloves.

Taste is a little flatter than I expected. Not that bright, falls more on the bitter side. Carbonation is out-of-control. Makes it hard to swirl around and get the full experience! One of the flavors in the aftertaste reminds me of a flat domestic lager. Little bit of tang on the tongue after a swallow. Tastes like it is high alcohol, and it turns out to be significantly high!

Overall: B-, not a big fan

grannaniwa, Feb 18, 2012

rderedin, May 09, 2014

Farnswurth, Jun 27, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer is full of funk and bubble gum, yeasty, doughy, a little too sour for a saison. definately farmy! but it may be better with food not an easy brew to drink alone unless you want half 3 philosophers and half duvel in the same glass :( sorry hut dissapointed. Tastes better with Food

barleywineman, Jun 14, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Was pumped to give this one a go, I generally like Ommegang. Poured nice, tons of bubbles, tall head. Caught me off guard, required a more delicate pour than even most other belgians to moderate head size. Nice hazy gold/yellow color in the glass, appealing looking. Smelled like the real deal, very authentick belgian.

It was only once the beer left the glass and found its way onto my tongue that disappointment set in. Admittedly, for my first sip the beer was way too cold, so i let it sit for some time. Unfortunately i don't like how it opened up. Tart, bubbly, mildly sweet, citrusy, and earthy. It all sounds nice, except the tartness was too strong. Resulted in an extremely unbalanced flavor. Not to say the beer was terrible, it wasn't, however it could use significantly more strength from the earthy/malty notes. Tartness and acidity need to be toned down a bit. Noting the beer's high rating, it looks like i'm in the minority here, but so it goes. I'll stick with the 3 Philosophers next time I hit up Ommegang

t8000shx, Mar 01, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

12oz to Unibroue tulip, no best by date listed.

Pours a clear golden color with a huge puffy white head, lots of bubbles, highly carbonated it seems. Dusty sediment floats about. Settles at a thick bubbly cap leaving some lacing.

Pale pilsner malts jump from the nose first and foremost. Typical Belgian yeast, some sweet candi sugar, wet grass and lemony hops follow. Just the tiniest hints of funk and hay. The pilsner quality reminds me a little too much of an generic pale Euro lager but the smell really starts to open up nicely after a bit.

Taste has notes of lemon/citrus/grass throughout from the hops, Belgian yeast and some candi sugar. I found the scent to be more enjoyable. Some bready notes in the finish. High alcohol taste dominates (at the finish especially) and is noticeable right from the get-go. Although it does fade over time, it is ever-present giving the beer a bit of a distasteful, soapy medicinal feel. Mouthfeel is not nearly as carbonated as the appearance would hint towards, has a creamy oily feel to it, but the booziness just about kills it.

Kinda reminds me of Duvel in some ways (which makes sense), but I couldn't get into this one much. Feels too boozy and just heavy and uncomfortable when it reaches your guts. Flavors that were present didn't really leave me wanting more.

Chico1985, Nov 18, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured a hazy yellow body with some carbonation present in the body. Has a white head that disipates quickly to form a film across the surface. The beer's aroma consists of Hops, some spices and yeast. The taste follows the aroma fairly well. However, the hops are more apparent in the taste. The beer has a froathy body that leads to a lingering residual sweetness that I don't like about American breweries takes on Belgian Beers. Slight Alcohol present in the warmth.

Can't say I was overly impressed with this beer. I wouldn't get it again.

cproioi, Aug 13, 2006