Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,505 | Reviews: 2,108
3.17/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Beer No. 57 – Ommegang Hennepin

I keep a bit of everything in the house because you never know when a summer craving will come a little early.

STYLE: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

ABV: 7.7%

LOOK: Less than yellow, refreshing. Ideal one-finger head that doesn’t resist a subtle sip.

NOSE: It won’t shine here. And that’s OK because that rather misses the point. Loafy and dry.

MOUTH: White pepper, nonfat butter, bitter salad greens. It’s not – memorable. On the front, too much rind and not enough zest. On the back, a quiet lagerish coat.

Beeradvocate Rating: 93

ratebeer Rating: 97

Hayward Abbey Rating: 83

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

A plastic cup at Fall for Greenville (THink taste of ....)

A: Golden, with a thick head. Once again, I don't think I got the best pour from the festival worker in the Ommegang tent.

S: Citrus with some hits of pear or other similar fruit.

T. Just as it smelled, but at times almost a nectarine like taste. A surprising spicy bite to it.

M: Very light; some decent carbonation.

D: Drinkable to me at least as a sipper. This was my third beer of the festival, and noticed it took me much longer to get through this beer than the other two. I'll likely try this again in a more standard sitting and see how that goes.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

I must have gotten a bad 4-pack because this was really alcoholic smelling and tasting. Didn't have any of the subtlety I remember (tho' I must confess it's probably been a few years since I've had this beer). Boozy! And so overcarbed it was impossible to pour well...

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Goose Island IPA tulip glass.

The beer was about midway between dark straw and light gold. The beer was very cloudy with a big, white head. Moderate lacing was left along the glass.

The aroma included some breadiness, and both earthy and spicy pepper-like scents. The taste was bready and spicy. The spices being pepper and clove. I also taste some subtle fruit pear-like flavor. There is a strong bitterness on the swallow made up of both a hop and carbonic bite.

The mouthfeel is light with very high carbonation. This is a fairly drinkable beer, but the high carbonation level would prevent too much imbibing.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

pours a very light filtered pale yellow with several fingers of head.

smell is sour and fruit with light malts and almost no hops.

taste is certainly unique...i just don't find it to be in a good way. light and sour with no hops.

mouth is light with good carbonation.

very bland and boring for me and just does not taste very good.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 corked-and-caged bottle split with the girlfriend between 2 Chimay goblets. Bottle date is 12/17/09

A - Hazy golden-straw with a thick, luscious head of creamy white foam. Phenomenal lacing and retention.

S - Banana, clove, lemon zest, biscuits and yeast.

T - Banana dominates again with some yeast and lemon in there. Really getting a bitter spiciness towards the end that a) I can't really place and b) I'm not enjoying too much. Not sure what to make of this, I had such high hopes...

M - Slick with a medium body and high carbonation.

D - I generally like saisons so I feel I could drink this pretty easily. However, I don't know if I got a bad bottle or something, but the bitterness is really overpowering and unpleasant. I'll have to re-visit, I know this can be better then this.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A better than average saison, but just barely.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%

I was looking forward to trying this beer, and came away unimpressed. I had a 750ml bottle, started cold, let the bottle sit at room temperature before pouring again. It was a cloudy yellow appearance with a very minimal head and no lace to speak of. It had a nice tart fruit odor to it, and a nondescript fruity taste, with some slight hoppiness. It felt just OK in the mouth. Was good to drink, but not exciting. I'll have to try it again to see if it was me or that particular bottle that wasn't working well.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottled on 31 March 2011. Tasted 23 September 2011, reviewed from notes.

Pours a really nice golden yellow. Mostly clear, with a light haze. Big fluffy white head that sticks around for a long time. Some spotty lace, not much. It's one of those beers that you pour and it just goes "poof!" Bright color, glowing, topped by a huge gob of white foam.

Smell is dominated by Belgian yeast. A little bit of faint musty barnyard funk. Lots of spice, especially clove, with a little banana, and some slightly sharper spice. I like it. To me, it smells more like a Belgian golden than a saison. But it's good.

Taste starts out slightly sweet, musty, malty, with that light earthy flavor characteristic of saisons. All those layers, just like it should be. But then a huge dose of hops spoils it all, bringing a tingly bite that doesn't feel right to me for this style. Finishes pretty bitter - not what I was looking for. My feeling is that they were trying to make a hopped-up saison, and it didn't really work out. It detracts from the beer by overshadowing all that subtle complexity with pure bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, high carbonation. Fizzy and tingly. Quite good, but I would appreciate it more if it weren't reviving flavors I don't want.

Over-hopped, especially for a saison. I don't pick up the hop character in the smell, but it's quite obvious in the taste, and its effects are largely negative. That's really too bad, as what's there underneath that bitterness is quite solid.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

A clear golden body with lots of carbonation bubbles flying around.

Smell has some hop character and lots of yeast character. Heavy notes of spices.

Taste has some sweetness that is fruity, sugary and a little malty. The body of the flavor comes from yeast; it is peppery, white peppery, slightly medicinal. It seems that there is some added spice also. Some hop character can also be detected in there.

A very crisp, carbonated mouthfeel, but probably a little more body than the best belgians..

Pretty drinkable here, but tastes overly spiced, whether it was or not.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours golden into glass. Nice head, good retention. Nice yeasty esthers on the nose. Taste is marred by high alcohol content - not very balanced. Good carbonation - fit for style. Overall drinkability flawed by lingering alcohol flavor on finish. Not bad - but not balanced enough to be great.

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

Shared of bottle of this one @ Bishops Arms - Karlstad with my good friend Ljunkan. The second beer I've tried from Ommegang, but I'm not very impressed by this one.

The bottle looks pretty mediocre, but the beer in the glass looks pretty nice though, hazy yellow with a large white foam.

Smells nicely of some sorts of spices, citrus fruits and some nice hoppiness. Smell is really nice!

Taste is slightly sour with lots of spiciness and some citrusfruits. Fells quite mediocre in the taste though, but still good.

All and all, a pretty good beer, but I don't think I want to try it again. There are beers in this style that are so much better.

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

750 ml bottle poured into my tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a hint of orange hue to it. Translucent but hazy. Nice head. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Very sweet malty smell with lots of citrus and surprisingly yeasty and bready.

Taste: Sweet malts, bread, a bit too much yeastyness (for me), citrus, and bit of wheat. Very good. Not my favorite flavor for a Saison, but still a good beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied highly carbonated beer. Crisp finish feels refreshing.

Drinkability: Though Saison may not be my favorite style and this is not my favorite Saison it is still very drinkable and a 'classy' beer that is good to impress with. It is quite drinkable and worthy of a justifiable occasion from time to time.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.27/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 375ml/11oz bottle into a pint glass. Be careful pouring as I ended up with a 'beer floater' head.
Appearance was classic off yellow. The oversized head lasted for most of the drink.
First impression was of spice and this was confirmed on first taste.
I detected coriander and bouquet definitely opened as the beer warmed up in the glass.
The spice on the pallet clearly overrode the typical saison funk and really become pronounced on the back pallet towards the end of the beer.
Overall, being one of the first saisons I have critiqued I found it pretty good. If anything a little too spicy for my liking.

3.27/5  rDev -21.2%

this one had an alcohol -almost wine smell to it. it poured with a slight haze to it, a nice white rocky head to it disappearing after a few sips. the taste was mildly tart with a hint of citrus, also a very nice dry aftertaste
Very nice taste goes well with a good meal!!

3.28/5  rDev -21%

This pours a dishwater grey/yellow, kind of cloudy, with a huge head of big time bubbles and plenty of lacing. The smell is very floral-biscuit but there is a sort of caustic overtone, something medicinal, of alcohol perhaps. The mouth finds a peppery introduction, very nicely carbonated and active, but the major flavor I detect is one of licorice. Bitter but very smooth and full bodied. Yeast presence is there but I can't get past this anisette quality that isn't really my favorite, and it aggressively overwhelms the taste buds right to the back of your throat. Quite dry but generally refreshing. I don't pick up hops or malt. It is something different and definitely a quality brew but this, like many other Belgian styles I've tried thus far, isn't right up my alley. Recommended for a try, this might be really special to the right palette.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

I've had this one on tap a few times, and while it's one of my favorite styles, I was never too impressed with the Hennepin. This is my first bottle. As soon as I twisted the cage loose, the corked exploded out, with a little bit of gush, but a relatively easy pour, into my St. Feuillien Goblet. The Saison is a golden yellow with tons of streamers and a big, pillowly white head. While I'd rather it a bit cloudy, the head is really gorgeous, and with the effervescence, continues to grow in a nice rocky fashion. It is very slow to subsided and leaves blankets of foam and lace to the very end.

The smell is sweet, some honey and vanilla, a bit floral, with rustic grain, a decent bite of booze, and a hint of diactyle as it warms. Overall, more omphh and saison-like then it is on draft, so it's off to a good start, although still on the understated side.

Well, so far this has been much better then the draft version, which was bland and unobjectable. While the taste certainly isn't bland, it's really not too good. Initially there's some sweetness, but it's quickly overcome by a husky astringency, is a tad chalky, rather hot and boozy. Letting it warm too much, it gets worse, funky, but not in that fun belgian way, just off, with a bit of diactyle. Overall, it seems like they were more focused with making it taste rough for that farmhouse authenticity, rather then taste really good. I'm not so hard points wise on the graininess, but booze is too much to ignore, especially for only 7.7.

The mouthfeel is very creamy, medium light bodied.

This wasn't too drinkable. It was just too husky and astringent, and not enjoyable enough. While the heat might fade in cellar, I'm not so sure about those grain tannins.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

A: Bright cloudy yellow with a giant white head.

S: Citrus acidity, honey sweetness, and lemon-grass. Smooth malts, boozy finish.

T: Earthy lemon and orange flavor and sweet honey malts. Notes of banana, kitchen spices and slightly bitter hops follow the initial flavor. ABV% is well hidden. A nice moderate flavor leaves quickly, leaving a lame aftertaste almost like flat Heineken.

M: Extra sticky on the palate. Medium carbonation, medium body.

D: Decent, but an cheap awful aftertaste in my opinion.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Quaffed from a bomber I did things best left unmentioned to obtain

A: A light straw color. Straw like. When you really look at it, the word "straw" comes to mind.

S: Citrus, orange specifically, possibly mandarin. Accompanying the citrus are the delicate notes of a particularly randy sow making friends with species of all types in the barnyard. Truly exquisite.

T: Taste follows the nose. Something like what a secretly welcomed sexual assault of an orange on a clove would taste like.

MF: The MF is consistent with orange/clove sex assault and delivers as anticipated. Glorious day!

O: Quite good. By the end of the bomber my curiosity was satiated. It will be a year or more before I have to, well I don't want to unsettle those bits of yeast right now. So quaff able. I quaffed this bottle so hard, in positions illegal in both Pennsylvania and Utah.

wiezen glass. best by 3/20/13

a - pours a hazy, pale yellow with lots of streaming bubbles. gave me a huge, fluffy white head that calms to a finger or so and stays put. leaves a thick swath of lacing down the side of the glass.

s - typical banana and clove, grassy pale malt.

t - pale malt character with the usual belgian spiciness. notes of lemon. slight earthy funk and faint bitterness come in at the end.

m - lighter in body with a slight mouth coating action. more than enough carbonation.

o - not bad, but not really doing it for me either. goes down easy enough. tastes like a standard belgian pale ale to me. will probably pass on this in the future.

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%

75 cl bottle. Pale slightly hazy gold pour with a nice loose foamy white head. Lots of citrusy, hoppy aromas a bit of good barnyard funk. Not so enjoyableGrainy taste with a citric acid finale, quite dry. Mouthfeel is a wee bit rough but it becomes okay when the beer sits a bit but still nowhere close to Saison's standard.

Very disapointed since there is a lot of praise on this beer and Saison is my favourite style.
The most over rated beer on this site imho. I'd have to revisit to make sure I didn,t get a bad bottle or something.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

i would have to say one of the most inconsistent american beligan beer i've had. when good its bright and tight mint hoppy with a nose of cannabis pine and a soft fruit. had it again about three months later. extensively... beligan sugar cane with a back of the mouth curdle. acidic. woody but dingy. very sweeten pine apple to the point that my teeth hurt... don't know if that's exactly proper.

had it again about a month later... palate again a bit too sweet... funkier. but a rotten banana infections flavor. some herbal quality. the taste of stale wet three day old chrysanthemum... and why i know that is in part my interest in herbalism yet hectic party lifestyle. interesting but not something i would favor without some sort of palate cleanser that should come from the hops... a tad lemon... sort of a saving grace.

had it again. seem about the middle of the road for the this is an old bottle and this is a new bottle. didn't have the expanded palate. lack a lot of broadness. hard on the gums. i'm over this beer. ruining a style i love for me...

Poured into a tulip.

A: Golden yellow with a nice frothy head that slowly dissapated.

S: Orange peel and ever so sight level of funk.

T: Sweet, green apples, slight pepperyness, and some belgian aromatics.

M: Medium/Full body, it still feels like its in your mouth after drinking

O: A pretty solid belgian ale. I fell in love with Saison Dupont and hold all other saisons to that standard. A bit on the fuller body sweet side that i didnt care for too much.

3.32/5  rDev -20%

Sitting here ..in Houston, humidity 98% and a homemade pizza in the oven: Its time for my 750ml bottle of Hennepin...

Pours a light honey colour..

Nice sized head on pour, but disappears after 15mins with the glass i was using..

Straight up farmhouse smell, but not as funky as some from belgium..

Good bitterness level..
Sweetness is also done very nicely..
..a good balance..

aftertaste is very good but maybe needs a bit more assertiveness...

Overall, I am happy i tried this brew but am at a loss wether it is as good as Dupont, Hennepin seems a bit sweeter and not enough bitterness to make it a great- but still I did enjoy it!!

...Music- "Lady Dana" 'Climax' -the CD ...

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not my style... Wife loves it

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang