Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

25th Birthday Beer!!!
This review is from a fresh 750mL bottle. I poured aggressively enough (into an inviting cognac glass) to produce an inch thick head, which lingered for a bit and then dissipated aside to a small ring around the edge of the glass. Color is a beautiful hazy golden-orange with fine bubbles constantly breaching the surface of the beer. This really gives it a lively quality, which is further enhanced by the earthy overtones in the smell and taste.

Initial smell is of candied malts, apple, banana, orange, and straw. Mouthfeel is what I would expect...the bottle conditioning gives a delightful tingling in the mouth, and the slickness and moderate body lets the beer waft across the tastebuds very easily.

Shit...I haven't even gotten to taste yet? :)
Taste is very balanced. Honey and light fruits hit the buds initially, followed by a grassy taste/smell, which is accompanied by a variety of phenols to give some warmth to the taste. Finish is the slightest hop bitterness. It is just enough to balance the upfront dry malts, sugars, and fruit flavors. It really is a melding of many different flavors. Simply ravishing. I absolutely can't believe this is brewed just a couple hundred miles from my house. I have never tasted an American beer like this.

Oh...my. This beer is devilishly drinkable. I can hardly detect the alcohol, as it is well hidden amongst the spices. A 750mL is enough to send me to a happy place, as if the beer weren't enough. I'm not very familiar with Saisons, but all I can say for certain is that this beer is decidedly Belgian, and at $6/750mL, I will buy it again and as often as I can get hold of it. If you love beer, try this beer.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Lovely golden color. Perfect head and just the right amount of the little bubble guys. Great taste, and great aftertaste. This aftertaste is handy -- stops you from drinking it too fast! I take drink and enjoy breathing through my nose for a few minutes before taking another. Very inexpensive for the quality, too.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Split a bottle with Kathleen and Golden2wenty1.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber, pours a big head and thick suds. Low viscosity. Impressive under light--reminiscent of La Chouffe.

Aroma: Golden raisins, treacle, a little breadiness. Lemon, orange, and honey development and the faintest hints of spice and pine. Very rich nose, and very pleasant.

Taste: Ginger, lemongrass, honey and lemon zest--good bready foundations. Some grassy notes and a little cloves. Banana and apricot developments. Some pepper and a splash of pine in the finish. The flavors in here are certainly equal to LaChouffe, which this beer constantly reminds me of.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. Nice hops finish. Smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: Great--what a treat to have had this on the same night as the Fantome Strange Ghost. At the price, this might be one of the best belgians--in fact, just one of the best beers period--available. Fruity, refreshing, fantastic.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Big ole 750 mL caged & corked Hennepin Saison poured out with suspended "beer on lees" particles floating around the glass. This is a beautiful looking pour with just enough head and appetizing color.

Overly ripe bananas, and bready doughy scents meeting with cloves and yeasty aroma and flavors. There is actually some open meadow character to this, resembling a true belgian.

Just an overall great OMMEGANG beer. Extremely enjoyable on all counts. Thanks to shapudding for the offering. I need to get my hands on my own bottle.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

To put it simple Ommegang is one hell of a brewery! This nectar pours a cloudy golden color with a slight head and good lace along the glass. The scent is somewhat of a fruity one but not overly sweet like some Belgians. The taste is perfectly balanced more toward the malty side IMO. And it sits well on the palate, this beer is very drinkable for anyone. I think this is the one i would choose for the uneducated beer drinker to start with, it won't scare them off, and we BA can enjoy it also. I didn't think they could beat Ommegan but I think I loke this one better. I look forward to trying the other beers from this brewery when I can get my hands on them........CHEERS

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits and had it last night. I let it warm and served it in one of my New Belgium snifter style glasses.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden with hints of amber. The clarity is good and reveals vigorous carbonation feeding a thick frothy white head. Retention is good, though the head eventually fades to a thin layer leaving patchy lace.

Smell: The aroma reminds me of a hefe-weizen. There are notes of yeast, banana and cloves. Additionally there are aromas of grain and citrus.

Taste: Tart lemony citrus and fruity flavors upfront fade into a peppery grainy and grassy finish with a nice balancing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, mild carbonation (considering the bubbles), light oiliness with a dry finish.

Drinkability: Well balanced refreshing and incredibly easy to drink.

Overall: This is another great Ommegang beer. Incredibly tasty and refreshing.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Poured a medium yellow with a thick, long lasting, rocky white head. Slight haze but mostly clear. Plenty of visible carbonation.

S - Lots of fruity esters with a pear/apple like character most prominent. Floral hops also present at a medium level of intensity. A strong grainy-wheat aroma also makes itself known.

T - Wheat character continues to press on. A moderate level of bittering with floral hop flavor. Apple-like esters with a general fruity/estery character. Alcohol more present than expected for strength. Tartness, possibly from use of unmalted wheat. Very dry finish. Crisp.

M - Medium-bodied with a very high level of carbonation. Smooth.

D - Excellent. Crisp, dry finish combines with a soft malt and complex fruity ester character to make a very drinkable Saison. Bring on another pint and cheers to a wonderful American brewery brewing a strong example of this Belgian style.

Super Summer Beer!

Beer is very light in color with a super head. Is it what you want to see in front of a fire. Nope, but it is exactly what you want to see in a beer garden.

The Smell is light. Doesn't smack you in the nose. But if you get close enough the fragrance is worth it. Wonderful smell. Wish there was more of it.

The taste is perfect. Light lemony citrus with subtle sweetness. Nothing overbearing.

Light and crisp to the mouth. You could could potentially drink it after a workout. :) But why do that???

Overall I say what a wonderful beer! Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

The appearance is golden yellow with a hazy body. A wonderful three finger head builds from lively carbonation. The head slowly fades back leaving nice lacing on the glass. Its aroma is fruity and floral, citrus and spice and every thing nice. The flavor of light malts, citrus and clove hits you first. Then earthy yeast and complementary citrus and floral hops leads you to a sweet and sour finish. Well balanced, medium body and very refreshing. Very well done, this one has turned me on to this style of beer.

Aged bottle from 2002.

Slightly hazy, light golden color with a foamy white head that leaves attractive trails of lace down the glass. Excellent head retention, as well. Wonderfully complex aromas of freshly ground ginger, orange peel, maybe some coriander, pepper, fruity esters and slightly earthy hops. More ginger, orange rind, Saaz hops, ripe apple and pear are evident before a mild finish reminiscent of freshly ground pepper. Mouthfeel is smooth, lush and downright pleasing. Drinkability is phenomenal for a beer of 7.5% abv. Though it's not a true saison to the traditionalist due to its alcohol content, it's a damn good beer that is clearly worthy of your attention. One of the better values on the shelves today, too.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A two finger white fluffy head emerges and fades reluctantly to a thin layer. Lacing is very apparent.

The aroma is peppery, some fresh banana, and a bit of medicinal alcohol in the background.

The foremost taste for me is that of cloves and bananas. A bit sour and a slight, but pleasant hoppy presence. Finishes rather dry with a bitter lemon-like aftertaste.

Quite highly carbonated and light bodied in the mouth, pleasant however.

This is my first time experiencing both this beer and this style. I found it to be highly drinkable and look forward to drinking this and other saisons in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

This 11.2 ounce bottle pours at a wonderful 48 degrees into my goblet. It is the color of straw and blonde with a slight hazy. A wonderful finger and half head appears and lingers across the top of the liquid for the entire glass! What a wonderful experience to watch.

The aroma is fruity and floral. Delightful.

The taste is an experience for the entire tongue. I will need to sample this one again to get a better handle on exactly what is going on here. No biting hoppiness -- good so far as I'm concerned. There is a back of the tongue sweetness, fruity on the sides, and light carbonation rounding out the entire package. Superb.

At a low ABV of 7.5% for my cellar, this beer has high drinkablility without losing my "speech center." (he he, ddarden)

This delicious brew will be a staple of my collection!

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

2004 vintage Hennepin. Got damn.

This beer tastes like typical Hennepin. It really doesn't taste much different than fresher batches I have tasted in the past. It is still extremely drinkable and lighter, something I have come to expect from this beer. It's kind of cool to see how this beer compares to a newer vintage. On second thought, the beer has gained more of a champagne-y taste, a very delicate balance of sweetness, bubbles, and a little dryness. Very cool. Glad my neighbor had the patience to age this one.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz bottle, silver-rimmed chalice glass.

I first thought I wouldn't like this beer. The first impression is the bitterness, and it reminded me just a tad of ESB's that I don't have a particular fondness for. I kept drinking however, and mmm....

This beer is yummy. It pours with a golden color, with very little head and leaves only a bit of lacing. The aroma is reminiscent of honey, citrus, and that smell I refer to as "earthy" (kind of like smelling tree roots). The taste is nice, though a bit "wheaty" for me. I can definitely taste the wheat character in the beer. One of the only detractions is a hint of the alcohol comes through, (at 7.5 percent), so it detracts some from the flavor. I know I'll be enjoying more of this in the future.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Poured cloudy gold. Head did not last long and was about half a fingers worth.

S: bouquet of fruit but my hairy nose could not differential between bannana and orange.

T: Tangy but sweet undertones with several aftertastes where the fruit becomes more noticeable.

M: Heavier than i expected but glad nonetheless.

D: Very easy on the pallet and the ABV is not noticable to this quafer.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Very Nice beer. This is the second Ommegang I have tried and now I can't wait to rip into the Rare Vos I have chilling downstairs. The color is a pale orange and the beer is hazy. There is a soapy type head that leaves wide lacing.

The smell is fruity, almost like a Hoegaarden. The taste is great, fruit, a tad of spice, real light for the ABV. Very Drinkable - the 750 was perfect with the Thanksgiving Turkey.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at father's office. Absolutely brilliant color - luminous straw. Ok, I smelled and smelled and smelled this with myself, some friends, and my mom (who has the nose of a bloodhound). This stuff smells like cooked strawberries, and then a bacon and pancake breakfast - like nothing I have ever experienced. Taste was a very very very good farmhouse, almost to the caliber of Avec Les Bons Voeux, but not quite, citrus was nicely balanced by malt. Very smooth mouthfeel, and drinkability is extremely high due to great taste and its feeling as a "session" beer. Good good stuff. I went to an opera after this, and this saison added to that experience.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

I had this first on tap at Fire and Vine. Excellent was the first word that came to my head. It was amber with 1/2 inch of head, lots of lacing on the glass. Fruity aroma that made me want to dive in. First sip brought a smile to my face, my wife isn't as into beer as me, but I had to share. Since then I found bottles at the local Total Wine shop. This is one I will always look far again.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer poured a cloudy golden, lot's of bubbles and a thick frothy head that held good retention actually billowed like cloud puffs all the way through!

smell:complex citrusy odor, slightly musky

taste:Fruity, citrusy, complex taste, earthy as well, just beautiful is all I can say, tastes very akin to a Duvel! which is a high honor indeed! and at half the price, has got to be one of the best bargains around!

mouthfeel: is tangy, light and crisp

Drinkability: Are you kiddin me??? FANTASTIC!!! One of the best beers I've tried! fugeddaboutit!!!!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The beer has a thick, chunky, and very foamy head - some bubbles are large enough to be iridescent, and the whole thing has the look of ocean spray frozen in time. The nose is redolent of lemon candy, wheat fields, and a tiny hint of exceptionally tidy barn. Upon tasting this beer, I involuntarily exclaimed "oh my fucking god" - It's utterly sublime. Juicy fresh-squeezed lemonade accompanied by hints of carrot cake, white peppercorns, and maybe even a tiny tinge of nose-searing russian mustard. As the taste develops, the strong alchol notes and the copious phenols kick in, with a taste very much like banana bread or fried plantains. It's like a beer equivalent of a gruner veltliner, in all of the best ways imaginable. Despite the high alcohol, it goes down almost more like juice or 7-up - it is just fiendishly drinkable. It leaves a sticky, starchy and very dry feeling in your mouth after a while, which of course just makes you want more.

Overall, this is one of the best damn things that has ever entered my mouth, beer or otherwise - and hands-down the best Saison i've tried (though Surly cynic comes close). I originally wasn't planning on reviewing this beer, but it was so ridiculously good that I felt utterly compelled to share the experience.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

I'm drinking the first release of cave aged Hennepin from 2001, bottle #2825 of 3360 in celebration of the birth of my beautiful daughter Sadie.

The cork was very hard to get out, but when it went it went with an audible pop. It pours a golden orange with a huge white head that fades to a 0.5cm coating on the top of the beer. The aroma is floral, spicy (coriander and clove) with strong hints of orange peel. Taste is spicy, slightly sour, hoppy and pergaps a bit of clover honey. Slightly slick mouthfeel, with a warming alcohol finish. Extremely smooth and drinkable, and seems to have mellowed with its time in the cave and the cellar. A great celebratory drink and if you can find the 2001 edition, you'll be happy you did.

Served at 53 degrees

Pouring this beer into a snifter produced a thick, tight head that complemented the hazy gold color of the Saison. Aroma was quite pleasant and familiar. The beer enveloped my mouth upon the first sip as bitter hop and spicy Belgian notes faded into a delicate fruit which lingered but a moment. Despite its 7% level only the slightest suggestion of alcohol mostly via warmth. This beer proved immensely drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, no date. Pours a hazy pale orange with a golden aura. White head is very creamy and frothy, stiffens up nicely and shows great retention.

The smell is a floral, zesty blend of lemon, orange, banana, and Belgian yeast. The flavor follows, with the addition of subtle vanilla, corriander, and a pleasant, warming buzz of alcohol.

The mouth is complex and well carbonated. It is lively and volatile on the palate, with a lingering, yet ultimately clean finish. Good drinkability, but the alcohol and dense flavor might prevent it from acting as a true session brew.

Amazing overall. Best saison I have had.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang