Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,385 | Reviews: 2,079

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured according to bottle instructions into tulip which produced significant head that dissipated slowly with great lacing. Straw color with slight cloudiness. Streaming bubbles from bottom of tulip exactly like champagne. Never seen that before.

Great smell, banana, citrus, bready. Unbelievable taste, just enough funk/sour to give it an amazing character. I've never had a beer quite like this, can't wait to have another.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow with a big foamy head that lasts for a bit. Moderate lacing. Big aroma of grapefruit and citrus, with notes of yeast. The taste follows the aroma, along with a fair amount of sweetness and spice. Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is such a good saison. It leaves me thinking of warmer weather and hoping for another glass soon.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Amazing head on top of a dark yellow body launches up to the top of the glass and hangs out forever, ending its long life in a spiderweb of beauty. Glass is soapy all the way down. This beer could not look any more inviting.

S: Mint, orange, wheat, lemon, and funk.

T: I've had only a handful of Saison-styled beer, but this is heads and shoulders above all of them. Citrus and funk define an amazing blast of flavor that is not at all shy. What a magnificent work of art this beer is!

M: Sharp kick of carbonation is as good as it gets. Wish the citrus flavors would stick around longer in my mouth rather than the funk, but that's the only possible complaint I could generate.

D: I could slam these until I pass out. Delicious.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

In a way, I think this is the beer that really introduced me to craft beer...this was something I knew nothing about, picked up on a whim, and just plain fell in love with. Figured it was time for a proper review...

Pours a clear bright golden color, an absolute monster white head forms, diminishing very slowly and leaving a lot of lacing in the glass. Really soft pepper in the nose, nothing too bracing, yeasty, and plenty of lemon aroma. Taste follows the nose, with some clove and pear notes, and a faint grassy hop presence. Really clean finish, medium-bodied, and refreshing as hell. Just a total classic, and one of those beers that should always be in my fridge....in fact, from now on, it will always be there, if anyone wants to check up on me.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

My first saison came from the well in a flute glass. A slightly cloudy honey and tea was topped with an airy head that left a trace of lace

It was faint in the nose and not as available as I would like, but straw and spice with a hint of fruit.

What a beautifully flavored beer. Earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. The draw was the best part. Touches of honeydew, melon and orange! FABULOUS!

If this is the archetype saison, I shall be having more!

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

So, I'm kicking my own ass for not trying this earlier. Its a fairly accessible brew around my parts and I've passed it over time and time again.... I won't make that mistake again..

Beautiful pale yellow appearance with a huge fluffy foamy head that never goes away...

Aroma is a yeasty funky citrusy wonderful thing... A little banana presents itself as well...

Damn, this is just terrific... Slightly citrusy and hoppy but also yeasty and funky at the same time... I grilled steaks while enjoying these and its a terrific summer brew... Sessionable? Not by me... The 7% will get you..

I will be getting and keeping this one from now on... This will be a new staple for me..

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle that reads "Product of Belgium" on the label into my Ommegang Witte tumbler, because I already managed to break my Hennepin flute.

My first BA review, of the beer that got me to pay attention, so if I sound ignorant it's because I am.

A--Color matches the logo and "Worth the Wheat" slogan on my glass, basically a tawny more gold than yellow wheat. Good sized head that's more foamy than fizzy with some lacing.

S--My weakest category. To me it smelled mostly funky barnhouse, with a little piney citrus sharpness. Like a used horse blanket sprayed with Pledge.

T--The biggest thing I noticed was a hot spiciness that wasn't from hops, though I can feel in the backend a sharp pine bite from them. Took me a while to get the taste but I think it's like ginger, or candied ginger, as there's a mellow sweetness that rounds it out first. Beginning of the swish in my mouth was more yeast than anything, with some grassiness, too.

M--Medium with a little more carbonation than I like. Definitely smooth with a little chewiness.

Great drinkability for a humid day in that oxymoron of places, the Brooklyn backyard. Went great with a slice of tomato pie. This beer got it all started for me, and while I've moved on somewhat, I've got much respect for it. Hope I gave it its due without sounding like a complete moron.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours with a nice billowing white head, rising to 2 1/2 fingers, settling down to 1/8", laces all the way with the glass. The smell of this one is sweet, mostly malt with some fruity hints and a bit of alcohol and floral hops. The taste is very nice, fruit and a lot of malt up front a bit of grain in the middle and a nice hop kick at the end. The feel of this one is the best I have had, like liquid velvet. Smooth but robust and full, creamy but not overbearing, with a well balanced carbonation that tingles just right...very well done. Overall this is one that will take permanate residence in my chiller. A nice .750 to have on hand for nights with friends and nights at home.

Review edit...I tried this one initally over chilled. As the beer warms it unlocks hidden smells and flavors that are not present when cooler in temp. There is a sweeter more pronounced body and more hop character when warm, the boquet also opens up to a more spicy oroganic nose, with a definite yeast presence that envokes a bananna aroma that should make chaquita jealous.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold. Minimal head, cloudy as hell.

S: Fresh, pungent, lemons, sour, wild flowers, orange. The fact that I get a lot of aroma from this beer says something since my sense of smell lacks a bit.

T: Champagne, sour, this is a beer that I feel is the benchmark for the style. This is a superb summer beer with a bright, fresh taste that leaves the mouth feeling like you just ate a garden salad with some green apples and a light vinaigrette.

M: The prevalence of green apple taste made me think that I would have the aftertaste in my mouth that I get from green apples, but I absolutely do not. This beer gently rolls off the tongue and leaves me feeling light and fresh.

D: I love this beer. I need to go buy more. As summer approaches, I can see myself sitting out on my deck on a cool MN summer night drinking a four pack of this lovely brew. I will be purchasing more.

Appearance - A cloudy copper color with 2 fingers of head

Smell - a tart smell with spices mixed in, a very unique beer

Taste - goodness with a citrus blend

Mouthfeel - very smooth with moderate carbination

Drinkability - very drinkable, Im in love

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle at the Esplanade Bier Markt. This was their last bottle as they had just changed the beer menu for the spring/summer season. Offered to me for free for that reason. Served in a matching Hennepin glass (which I also obtained gratis).

A chill-hazed deeper golden colour in the body, with a fairly large white head that doesn't want to leave. In that respect it's certainly Belgian. Nose brings the smells of a hay barn during baling season (someting I'm familiar with), matching mustiness, some esters. Not that the hay barn dominates, but it's there.

The flavour is like the denizens of a barn in spring. Flavour is musty, some hop pepper plays around with lemon and grassy flavours. Alcohol chases them, cavorting, but never roughhousing. Young calves, baby horses, barn kittens, all delighting in their freedom and the spring.

A delightful beer, the rawness of it entices me like the less-than-perfect recordings from a indie CD. This beer hasn't been polished, the rough edges are still there, and that's what makes it so great. It's a beer to drink and enjoy. Again and again.... and again.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I bought the holiday pck consisting of this one,three philosophers,and the chocolate indulgence. Damn did I pick a winner here.

Poured in to my Ommegang snifter.Pours a very hazy yellow color with an extreme white fizzy heading that just about fizzes out to a a thin heading around the edges.

Smell was immediate as soon as I popped the cork. Very tart and fruity upfront followed by a lemon zestiness. A nice clove to dress thing's up and finish it off.

Taste and Mouth is pretty much the same extreme fruity tartiness, and very zesty. A nice hoppiness as well along with some very sweet malts. The palate is a alive and kicking with some corriander,clove,pepper,spiciness. Simply awesome. Again very alive and bubbly on the tongue. Medium bodied and just an amazing overall mouth feel.

Drink is great a nice offering of alcohol but never really stands out. Easy drinking and easily enjoyable. A must have in my book.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Had heard so much about this beer decided to give it a go..came ina 12oz Amber coloured bottle ..with loads of useful info on the back and sides of the label.
Poured a nice murky orange colour with a smallish pure white head which dissapates to a fine lace.
The aroma of this beer is out of this world really pungent fruits and spices well mixed..i smell cherry, plum even some banana.. strawberry wow every time i smell this i get a different aroma great stuff.
The tase of this beer is almost as good as the aroma.. again i get cherry..tingles on the back of the tongue leaving some hop bitterness thats well hidden..then as it goes down the throat I feel the alcoholic warmth..dang i can still taste this beer a full 1 minute after i have swallowed.
Very easy on the mouth, the carbonation seems just right.
Very drinkable but i couldnt manage more than 4 or 5 in a sitting..
WOW what can I say? a great beer

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

750 mL corked and caged bottle.

Appearance: Cloudy golden amber, with slight carbonation bubling throughout. White, fluffy head that settled slowly; leaves a nice, uniform, spotty lace.

Smell: Like a strong Hefeweizen. Clove and banana, with noticeable musty, earthy tones.

Taste: More complex than I can completely analyze. Very creamy start, with sour citrusy, sacharine notes. Noticeable but not distracting alcohol content. Yeasty, wheaty middle. This beer finishes with that sacharine tinge coming through again . . . a sweetness marked by a bitter, dry finish that cuts the total sweet effect. Very crisp, and very easy to drink.

For $3.99/750 mL bottle, this is an enormous bargain. Pairs well with Vermont white cheddar and an impending Nor'easter. Great brew overall, and an excellent beer for the price.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Pours a deep yellow with some orange. Thick, creamy head retains well through consumption.

S: Citrus and spices.

T: Refreshing, citrus, ginger, sweet and other garden spices.

M: Light yet excellent body - well balanced.

O: Really well done and refreshing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang