1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

Wow.

That's all I can say. Phenominal.

Hennepin is my "stand-by" beer, so you could probably say that I am biased. If you believe so, stop reading my review. But I think my opinion is valid because I've had it 1,000,000,000 times, both in the conditioned bottle and on-tap.

Knowing that I must have a recent review to be valid, I went and got an imperial bottle of this from Wegmans (anybody who lives in the Rochester area knows about this store) and chilled it by letting it sit outside in the 4-degree weather for a wee bit. I poured it into a Brewery Ommegang glass.

The head rears up no matter how little you shake the bottle. Just get used to the idea of having a glass 3/4 full. The smell is funky, almost as if you're sitting in the middle of a cornfield. There are citrus notes from the flavoring hops, all of which are from the Czech Republic. Bubbles cascade upwards no matter how long it sits.

Now for the taste. It's dry and full, with a medium body and a present alcohol tone; immediatly commanding your mental faculties. The citrus-y flavor then hits, then the bitterness. Something I have noticed with the umptrillion times I've had this is that the flavors are very seperate and one notices them one-by-one, not all at once like many other Saisons.

After killing the whole 750-ml bottle, I'm pretty happy and require some time before I can drive, thanks to the 7.7% alcohol content.

My only gripe? Perhaps it's a bit too bitter. That's it.

It's not perfect, but damn close to it, and better than most of the actual Belgian Saisons and it's only $5.

P.S. Living just 2 hours from Cooperstown, I decided a road trip was in order. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have some of the best brews in this fine country of ours.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang