Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,083 | Hads: 5,584
3.26/5  rDev -22%

Shared of bottle of this one @ Bishops Arms - Karlstad with my good friend Ljunkan. The second beer I've tried from Ommegang, but I'm not very impressed by this one.

The bottle looks pretty mediocre, but the beer in the glass looks pretty nice though, hazy yellow with a large white foam.

Smells nicely of some sorts of spices, citrus fruits and some nice hoppiness. Smell is really nice!

Taste is slightly sour with lots of spiciness and some citrusfruits. Fells quite mediocre in the taste though, but still good.

All and all, a pretty good beer, but I don't think I want to try it again. There are beers in this style that are so much better. (650 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -22%

750 ml bottle poured into my tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a light brown with a hint of orange hue to it. Translucent but hazy. Nice head. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Very sweet malty smell with lots of citrus and surprisingly yeasty and bready.

Taste: Sweet malts, bread, a bit too much yeastyness (for me), citrus, and bit of wheat. Very good. Not my favorite flavor for a Saison, but still a good beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied highly carbonated beer. Crisp finish feels refreshing.

Drinkability: Though Saison may not be my favorite style and this is not my favorite Saison it is still very drinkable and a 'classy' beer that is good to impress with. It is quite drinkable and worthy of a justifiable occasion from time to time.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (785 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 375ml/11oz bottle into a pint glass. Be careful pouring as I ended up with a 'beer floater' head.
Appearance was classic off yellow. The oversized head lasted for most of the drink.
First impression was of spice and this was confirmed on first taste.
I detected coriander and bouquet definitely opened as the beer warmed up in the glass.
The spice on the pallet clearly overrode the typical saison funk and really become pronounced on the back pallet towards the end of the beer.
Overall, being one of the first saisons I have critiqued I found it pretty good. If anything a little too spicy for my liking. (618 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -21.8%

this one had an alcohol -almost wine smell to it. it poured with a slight haze to it, a nice white rocky head to it disappearing after a few sips. the taste was mildly tart with a hint of citrus, also a very nice dry aftertaste
Very nice taste goes well with a good meal!! (274 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

This pours a dishwater grey/yellow, kind of cloudy, with a huge head of big time bubbles and plenty of lacing. The smell is very floral-biscuit but there is a sort of caustic overtone, something medicinal, of alcohol perhaps. The mouth finds a peppery introduction, very nicely carbonated and active, but the major flavor I detect is one of licorice. Bitter but very smooth and full bodied. Yeast presence is there but I can't get past this anisette quality that isn't really my favorite, and it aggressively overwhelms the taste buds right to the back of your throat. Quite dry but generally refreshing. I don't pick up hops or malt. It is something different and definitely a quality brew but this, like many other Belgian styles I've tried thus far, isn't right up my alley. Recommended for a try, this might be really special to the right palette. (851 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

I've had this one on tap a few times, and while it's one of my favorite styles, I was never too impressed with the Hennepin. This is my first bottle. As soon as I twisted the cage loose, the corked exploded out, with a little bit of gush, but a relatively easy pour, into my St. Feuillien Goblet. The Saison is a golden yellow with tons of streamers and a big, pillowly white head. While I'd rather it a bit cloudy, the head is really gorgeous, and with the effervescence, continues to grow in a nice rocky fashion. It is very slow to subsided and leaves blankets of foam and lace to the very end.

The smell is sweet, some honey and vanilla, a bit floral, with rustic grain, a decent bite of booze, and a hint of diactyle as it warms. Overall, more omphh and saison-like then it is on draft, so it's off to a good start, although still on the understated side.

Well, so far this has been much better then the draft version, which was bland and unobjectable. While the taste certainly isn't bland, it's really not too good. Initially there's some sweetness, but it's quickly overcome by a husky astringency, is a tad chalky, rather hot and boozy. Letting it warm too much, it gets worse, funky, but not in that fun belgian way, just off, with a bit of diactyle. Overall, it seems like they were more focused with making it taste rough for that farmhouse authenticity, rather then taste really good. I'm not so hard points wise on the graininess, but booze is too much to ignore, especially for only 7.7.

The mouthfeel is very creamy, medium light bodied.

This wasn't too drinkable. It was just too husky and astringent, and not enjoyable enough. While the heat might fade in cellar, I'm not so sure about those grain tannins. (1,740 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Bright cloudy yellow with a giant white head.

S: Citrus acidity, honey sweetness, and lemon-grass. Smooth malts, boozy finish.

T: Earthy lemon and orange flavor and sweet honey malts. Notes of banana, kitchen spices and slightly bitter hops follow the initial flavor. ABV% is well hidden. A nice moderate flavor leaves quickly, leaving a lame aftertaste almost like flat Heineken.

M: Extra sticky on the palate. Medium carbonation, medium body.

D: Decent, but an cheap awful aftertaste in my opinion. (507 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Quaffed from a bomber I did things best left unmentioned to obtain

A: A light straw color. Straw like. When you really look at it, the word "straw" comes to mind.

S: Citrus, orange specifically, possibly mandarin. Accompanying the citrus are the delicate notes of a particularly randy sow making friends with species of all types in the barnyard. Truly exquisite.

T: Taste follows the nose. Something like what a secretly welcomed sexual assault of an orange on a clove would taste like.

MF: The MF is consistent with orange/clove sex assault and delivers as anticipated. Glorious day!

O: Quite good. By the end of the bomber my curiosity was satiated. It will be a year or more before I have to, well I don't want to unsettle those bits of yeast right now. So quaff able. I quaffed this bottle so hard, in positions illegal in both Pennsylvania and Utah. (863 characters)

wiezen glass. best by 3/20/13

a - pours a hazy, pale yellow with lots of streaming bubbles. gave me a huge, fluffy white head that calms to a finger or so and stays put. leaves a thick swath of lacing down the side of the glass.

s - typical banana and clove, grassy pale malt.

t - pale malt character with the usual belgian spiciness. notes of lemon. slight earthy funk and faint bitterness come in at the end.

m - lighter in body with a slight mouth coating action. more than enough carbonation.

o - not bad, but not really doing it for me either. goes down easy enough. tastes like a standard belgian pale ale to me. will probably pass on this in the future. (669 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -21.3%

75 cl bottle. Pale slightly hazy gold pour with a nice loose foamy white head. Lots of citrusy, hoppy aromas a bit of good barnyard funk. Not so enjoyableGrainy taste with a citric acid finale, quite dry. Mouthfeel is a wee bit rough but it becomes okay when the beer sits a bit but still nowhere close to Saison's standard.

Very disapointed since there is a lot of praise on this beer and Saison is my favourite style.
The most over rated beer on this site imho. I'd have to revisit to make sure I didn,t get a bad bottle or something. (538 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

i would have to say one of the most inconsistent american beligan beer i've had. when good its bright and tight mint hoppy with a nose of cannabis pine and a soft fruit. had it again about three months later. extensively... beligan sugar cane with a back of the mouth curdle. acidic. woody but dingy. very sweeten pine apple to the point that my teeth hurt... don't know if that's exactly proper.

had it again about a month later... palate again a bit too sweet... funkier. but a rotten banana infections flavor. some herbal quality. the taste of stale wet three day old chrysanthemum... and why i know that is in part my interest in herbalism yet hectic party lifestyle. interesting but not something i would favor without some sort of palate cleanser that should come from the hops... a tad lemon... sort of a saving grace.

had it again. seem about the middle of the road for the this is an old bottle and this is a new bottle. didn't have the expanded palate. lack a lot of broadness. hard on the gums. i'm over this beer. ruining a style i love for me... (1,061 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Golden yellow with a nice frothy head that slowly dissapated.

S: Orange peel and ever so sight level of funk.

T: Sweet, green apples, slight pepperyness, and some belgian aromatics.

M: Medium/Full body, it still feels like its in your mouth after drinking

O: A pretty solid belgian ale. I fell in love with Saison Dupont and hold all other saisons to that standard. A bit on the fuller body sweet side that i didnt care for too much. (462 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.6%

Sitting here ..in Houston, humidity 98% and a homemade pizza in the oven: Its time for my 750ml bottle of Hennepin...

Pours a light honey colour..

Nice sized head on pour, but disappears after 15mins with the glass i was using..

Straight up farmhouse smell, but not as funky as some from belgium..

Good bitterness level..
Sweetness is also done very nicely..
..a good balance..

aftertaste is very good but maybe needs a bit more assertiveness...

Overall, I am happy i tried this brew but am at a loss wether it is as good as Dupont, Hennepin seems a bit sweeter and not enough bitterness to make it a great- but still I did enjoy it!!

...Music- "Lady Dana" 'Climax' -the CD ... (701 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a 750ml. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer pours to a very pale yellow color with a large foamy white head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Bready, yeasty smell with background notes of malt, banana & hops.

T: The taste starts of malty with a flavor of banana, follows with a little bit of hops, then alcohol warmth. Not as bready as you smell and no after-taste. As the beer warms you get a little bit more hops but still not overpowering.

M: Very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation and a clean finish.

D: It goes down easy but I just didn’t like the taste enough to drink a lot of it.

I tried this beer at a tasting and thought it was pretty good. Now that I’m drinking a a whole 750ml bottle, I’m not liking it as much. Just being honest. (847 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

A- Yellow/golden, cloudy, and lots of tiny carbonation bubbles when first poured

S- Slightly grassy smell w/ hints of lemon

T- Lemon start, a little sour, and a fairly dry finish

M- Very light and a little fizzy

D- Decent light summertime beer

I'm not too much of a Belgiun style beer drinker but this isn't too bad. I like the citrus flavors but just a little to fizzy for my liking. (399 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

This brew pours a large invigorated white head of finely sized bubbles. It has a Cloudy wheat yellow color with yeast and carbonation rising in it. It has a mild malty hoppy aroma. Its a bit fizzy at first, but it soon dies out. I tasted a mixture of flavors that was unique to this brew. It was a bit chewy, doughy and had a hint of something else. It became very smooth with time. The good buzz I caught afterwards keeps making me raise my rating on this brew. (462 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a pint glass. I need to get a good tulip and flute.

A- Big thick puffy white head rushes up quickly. It fades down with time into a 1/4 blanket. The beer is a pale straw yellow with some slight hazing.

S- Mustiness and bananas are the first things I notice. The nose has alot of characteristics similar to hefe's. There is some slight sharp citrus deletable under it all.

T- Slight tartness and sourness but not as sour as I was expecting. Its citrusy, peppery and contains notes of the banana found in the nose.

M- Round and smoothness are offset by prickly crisp carbonation.

D- Quite refreshing and nice for warm weather. (641 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

The corked bottle opened with a wonderful POP! I was very excited to try this beer and it poured a gorgeous hazy straw yellow that prevented you from seeing through the glass. The aroma was less complex than I expected and was yeasty and floral. The beer was notably carbonated and bubbles played on my tongue with every sip. However, the flavor did not have much depth and the only aftertaste was about a second of sour on the very tip of my tongue. The brew was enjoyable but will not be placed on the top of my list. (519 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19.4%

750 ml into a glass tumbler.

Appearance is pervasively murky and orange/yellow depending on the light.

Smell is citrusy, with a resiny tang. The alcohol is strong, but doesnt hold up so much in the smell as in the taste.

Taste is basically like a bleached blonde with the alcohol content of a saison. Grainy, but not grainy enough. Unfiltered and a tad sweet.

Like other saisons I've had, the taste doesnt roll off your tongue, but rather to the back of your mouth and straight up your nose.

It finishes well with a touch of plum sweetness and tartness, like a grilled apricot soaked in scotch. (600 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a nice hazy straw gold with a medium white head. Decent retention and lacing. Smells of sweet candi sugar and a malt, along with some yeasty character and citrus esters. Some tart notes with a bit of alcohol present. Taste is sweet and slightly fruity initially. Light tangy notes come through later, along with alcohol at the end. Feel is pretty decent; not at all watery and with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, not a bad beer, but too sugary-sweet and too much alcohol presence for a saison. (507 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: A light gold color with a decent 3 finger white head. Not much lacing.

S: Some lemon citrus...some grass....some floral.

T: Dry...highly carbonated...taste some lemon....some floral...taste like champagne.

M: Crisp, dry finish and a high level of carbonation.

D: Not bad. High carbonation may limit consumption. (347 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%

I had this on-tap at Cafe Hollander in Milwaukee. I thought it was a fairly pleasant saison-style beer, particularly compared very old bottles of imported saison that are found in my area liquor stores. Recommended, but not outstanding.

It arrived as a fairly bright and hazy yellow, with fairly good head structure that left little lacing.

Aroma was of sweet yeastiness and some subtle spiciness.

Flavor was also of sweet and complex yeast flavors with some spiciness, but without a lot of fruitiness.

Mouthfeel was a bit harsher than I expected for the style, but was still decent.

All-in-all, a good saison choice. (632 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a crisp, bright gold. Almost completely clear, with the exception of the swirling sediment and the extremely active carbonation. Yields about 1.5 fingers of head that recedes over time to a floating cap of foam.

Fresh banana and clove smell up front, touch of citrus and coriander right below. Stand out smells of wild yeast all around. Fits the style well, keeping that funk balanced with the sweet, fruity undertones

Interesting. There's a bitterness wrapped around this beer that gives it a sour flavor. Very sweet but subdued by the funky presence. Similar to some Hefe flavors, with the presence of coriander and a clove taste, but the dominant quality is this funky sourness. Pretty interesting to say the least.

Somewhat thick, but refreshing in it's own way. Pretty much the standard mouth for the style, but goes down easier than some.

Not a bad Saison, but the flavor doesn't really wow me. It's enjoyable, but it doesn't really surprise or excite, and it falls short because of the way some notes clash. (1,024 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

I thought I had ticked this "Beer of Fame," but I guess not.

Served in a Delirium Tremens shaped-glass.

A: Poured a bright, yet murky orange color, with a pillowy, cloud-like formation posing as a head on top.

S: Coriander and orange peel upfront, followed by some banana pudding, and candy component reminiscent of "Pixie Stick" dust.

T: The finish on this is really harsh and not entirely pleasant to my taste buds. A bit too alcoholic, and a bit too grainy and bitter for my liking. I think that if some pepper were added to the overall profile, it might have been more fun and interesting.

M: I dug the carbonation bill.... very spritzy and champagne-like, but the bitter lingering was substantial. A good bit of lacing on the glass.

O: It's been years since I've tried this one, but I remember not really caring much for it back in the day either. To each his or her own, I guess. (891 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Was feeling Minnesota with this one on 10/21/2004. 12-oz. pour in a wide-mouthed goblet.

Initial ½-inch down of cream head that thins on its own schedule. Flowery/floury permissiveness on nose with coriander, sweet clover honey, and Kentucky blue grass all chortling around in there; as it warms, alcohol provides some heat. Biting pepper, lemon juice, chewy grape leaf hint, Hi-C fruit punch sweetness follows behind all of this with a finishing overall Sourpatch Kid puckering. Could take it or leave it; the sour aspect is just a bit off-putting. (553 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang