Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

750 mL corked bottle.

Appearance is a very impressive dark golden color with lots of little bubbles and a big, rocky, lacy head. The smell is of cloves, malt and a touch of spicy hops. The taste follows with cloves, malt sweetness, some fruitiness, a bit of alcohol and some spiciness. The feel is smooth with a nice, medium body. Overall, I liked this beer but I just felt it was too strong and boldly spicy/fruity to be a beer that would be really drinkable. But that's just my tastes I guess.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I've read that their cave aged beers are only available at the brewery. I got this in NJ at Oaktree Liquors (they claim to be the only one in NJ). Some stats from the attached label:
"..8 months 156` below ground at a constant 52 degrees F and 80% humididy in complete darkness..."

I love Hennepin, so I was glad to get my hands on this.

a: beautifully clear golden brew. A very fine head that laces like a sheet of white...errum...lace?
s: sweet fruits with some alcohol.
t: Sweet fruitiness that finishes dry and light pepery phenols and powery yeasts. Alcohol is present. The aftertastes is a bit syrupy which conflicts with the dry finish.
m: smooth; so smooth and mellow. Yummy!
d: I can sip this forever. This is truely an amazing brew.

I'd attribute the smooth mellowness to the aging.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a thick and abundant head and the color was a dark orange/gold, with a slight haze. The mouthfell was medium light, with bouncing carbonation. The aroma was citrusy, fruity with orange and a dash of spice that leans more towards ginger than pepper. The flavor was refreshing up front, sweet with notes of honey and grains. There is really little of any funk that you might expect from a "farmhouse" style. Little spice, aside from what adds sweetness. I do get a little bite from the hops, but not enough to round this out to as rich a beer as it could be. The drinkability is high. I know you shouldn't rate a beer based on what's not there, but I wanted more from this beer than what it gave.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Served in a Hennepin glass procured at the brewery on my last trip to upstate New York.

The pour is classic - golden beer topped with a rich, creamy head that lasts.

Tastes slightly sweet, but with a semi-bitter aftertaste, perfect on a clear summer night. Alcohol taste is present, but far from overpowering at 7.50%. I love the Ommegang Abbey Ale, but this is close to becoming my favorite Ommegang offering.

Side note - if you ever make a pilgrimage to Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame - make the quick jog outside of town and visit this brewery. It's small, but one of the best to visit.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

from the bottle. poured a cloudy golden with a white head that did stay around for very long. aroma when I popped the cap on this I got a big wiff of sour fruit, than after the beer was poured into my glass I more of a yeasty citrus aroma some clove and banana. flavor hops, sugar, bubblegum, sweet citrus, alcohol, pepper. I like this one glad I bought a 6er

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle.

A- A light hazy yellow with a giant white head that minimizes over time but still hangs out

S- Sweet and fruity, someone previously mentioned buttery and I would have to agree

T- Also sweet with a bit of maltiness, bananas

M for a beer with so much head I was expecting an overwhelming carbonatin but it as nice and not overwhelming at all

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - goldish/yellow color. little white head atop and filled out smooth.

Smell - lots of fruit in this beer. i can smell / taste hints of melons and apples among the other flavors.

Taste - little bit of carbonation to mix well with the complexities of the fruitfulness! great combination.

Drinkabilty - drank this out on the croquet court in mid-summer. excellent and very refreshing!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm so impressed by all of Ommegang's beers. They truly have captured the style and spirit of the belgian style beers right here in the good ol' U.S. of A.

Hennepin pours a bright golden color with a thick white head that lasts and lasts.

Smells are of sweet vanilla, spicey , earthy, bready barnyard -types. Maybe a potpouri of belgian farmhouse aromas.

Tastes are sweet, buttery, caramel, bready malt mixed with slight banana/clove/alcohol character.

Mouthfeel is medium frothy, syrupy but crisp. Nice carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Saisons are an odd beast, sometimes I think I have the style nailed and then something comes along and turns my brain around. When I think saison, I think grassy, slightly bitter, and dry. Hennepin is a bit dry, but is not very bitter and is definitely not grassy. It is still a delicious beer, with some nice fruit undertones and the perfect amount of carbonation. Smell is a bit one dimensional, and the phenol levels are a bit high, but these are merely small imperfections in an otherwise very drinkable beer. I must say this is not my preferred saison, but it does represent a bargain at six dollars a bottle. (This bottle only cost me three, the local bevmo was clearing them out!)

Overall, heartily recommended.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

On-tap at O'Brien's yesterday, served in a pint glass. Bright irridescent yellow-amber with 1/2 inch of snow white frothy head. If looks could kill...a very handsome looking light beer, light in color, not in taste.

The smell is very fresh and sweet. Sweet malt, corriander, spicy and fruity, very complex and absolutely smells Belgian.

Very sweet initially, bubblegum, corriander, Belgian candi-sugar, this is really tasty, super fresh and a great representation of this style. I'm thinkin it's the most enjoyable Saison I may have ever tasted.

Medium plus in body with great head retention and the complexity of a fine Belgian, I'm craving one right now. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with a nice amount of alcohol to complement this brew, very enjoyable on-tap, cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Haven't seen Ommegang beers in very many places around my area until just the past few months. Interestingly enough I stopped in a random Dandy Mini mart (typical gas/convenience store) and as I was waiting to pay for my gas at the front I looked to the back of the store. To what to my surprise did I see, but yes, an Ommegang display rack. This surprised me because this place has always been your typical place to find deals on such things as Natty light and Busch. I don't know if it is selling in this locale, but hey, God bless them for trying.

Point is their beer is starting to pop-up everywhere in the Southern Tier not just in the better beer stores, and that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, about the beer. Although it wasn't my first time with a Hennepin saison and certainly not the last, it is the first time I've reviewed it. I purchased a bomber at the store around the corner from my home and chilled it for a couple of hours before consuming.

At first pour the frothy pure white head was abundant and survived throughout the drinking of the beer covering the hazy straw color of the liquid below. As for smell, I don't have the greatest of ability in this area, but to be sure there was nothing in the slightest bit "off "about this beer, and it was at least pleasant in that respect.

The taste had a very light sweetness to it and a definite clove, corriander, citrus undertone. Although it has a 7.5 abv it seemed much lighter in mouthfeel, something a "gulpper" (like I can sometimes be) should be wary of on a hot summer afternoon.

I definitely see myself buying this beer more often now that it is readily available. It is a great summer beer that is light and refreshing. AND at $4.99 retail, not a bad price for a very high quality product.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

This is an exceptional beer from the get go.
From the 750mL corked bottle, to the pop of the cork itself it screams class. It pours a hazy golden-yellow with a thick, rich white head with some pretty impressive lacing. The head sticks around for a bit, too. The nose is hoppy, citrusy and spicy. Some fruitiness there, too. The first sip is like a slap across the face with flavor. Beautiful hops and malt with undertones of citrus and severe spice. It finishes smooth with a lingering bitterness and a dash of spice. Truly a great beer. Though I haven't tried any other saisons, I venture to guess this is a very good example of one.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle, this beer had a hazy golden color with a nice frothy head. Aroma was spicy and citrusy with some malt mixing in. Taste was very spicy and peppery. As the beer warmed I could taste yeasty flavors, some sourness and a lot of orange/citrus. This beer had a light body and was very refreshing. No alcohol flavors were apparent. This is another well crafted(and well priced)beer from Ommegang and one that I plan on drinking a lot of this summer.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

25th Birthday Beer!!!
This review is from a fresh 750mL bottle. I poured aggressively enough (into an inviting cognac glass) to produce an inch thick head, which lingered for a bit and then dissipated aside to a small ring around the edge of the glass. Color is a beautiful hazy golden-orange with fine bubbles constantly breaching the surface of the beer. This really gives it a lively quality, which is further enhanced by the earthy overtones in the smell and taste.

Initial smell is of candied malts, apple, banana, orange, and straw. Mouthfeel is what I would expect...the bottle conditioning gives a delightful tingling in the mouth, and the slickness and moderate body lets the beer waft across the tastebuds very easily.

Shit...I haven't even gotten to taste yet? :)
Taste is very balanced. Honey and light fruits hit the buds initially, followed by a grassy taste/smell, which is accompanied by a variety of phenols to give some warmth to the taste. Finish is the slightest hop bitterness. It is just enough to balance the upfront dry malts, sugars, and fruit flavors. It really is a melding of many different flavors. Simply ravishing. I absolutely can't believe this is brewed just a couple hundred miles from my house. I have never tasted an American beer like this.

Oh...my. This beer is devilishly drinkable. I can hardly detect the alcohol, as it is well hidden amongst the spices. A 750mL is enough to send me to a happy place, as if the beer weren't enough. I'm not very familiar with Saisons, but all I can say for certain is that this beer is decidedly Belgian, and at $6/750mL, I will buy it again and as often as I can get hold of it. If you love beer, try this beer.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 750ml. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer pours to a very pale yellow color with a large foamy white head that fades at a decent rate and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Bready, yeasty smell with background notes of malt, banana & hops.

T: The taste starts of malty with a flavor of banana, follows with a little bit of hops, then alcohol warmth. Not as bready as you smell and no after-taste. As the beer warms you get a little bit more hops but still not overpowering.

M: Very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation and a clean finish.

D: It goes down easy but I just didn’t like the taste enough to drink a lot of it.

I tried this beer at a tasting and thought it was pretty good. Now that I’m drinking a a whole 750ml bottle, I’m not liking it as much. Just being honest.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle in to a goblet. Pour carefully as this one produces plenty of head, approximately 1.5". Colors are pale yellow, orange and amber. Nice lacing from the long-lasting head.

Aromas are yeasty and dominated by spice. Coriander, nutmeg, citrus and hops. It would be a great air freshener for my car.

Highly effervescent mouthfeel that is immediately refreshing. Definitely lots of spice in the moutfhfeel. Flavors of exactly what I smelled. Lots of citrus and coriander spice. The yeast lacks but there are some hints of vanilla. I would expect just a little more vanilla and banana clove flavors from the yeast in a saison. The brew is best served cold and picks up a few pungent flavors if left to warm too much. However, too cold and you miss the beauty. At least go for the four pack and experiment.

Overall, a great example of a saison lacking some of the features of the best saisons available. You won't be disappointed.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

750 ml bottle, corked and caged.

Pours a lovely hazy, orangish-gold color with a two inch off-white head that sticks around for while.

The smell is very good. Sweet malts with a lot of fruits, oranges, lemons, apples. Along with some yeast that works very well here.

Taste is very similar to the smell but stronger than the aroma lets on. More yeastiness is noticed here, but it is held in check by the fruitiness and the sweet malts. Some bananas and cloves are noticed. Also a slight marshmallow taste, which just adds to the complexity of this beer. My only complaint is the yeasty finsh. However this only lasts for about two or three seconds, so its not a big deal.

Very well carbonated, and light and airy on the tongue. A little too carbonated at first, but after some of that dies down, the mouthfeel is perfect.

After a whole 750 ml bottle of this stuff I don't get tired of the flavor. Extremely drinkable and very refreshing. At only $4.99, this is an amazing beer for the price. I'm sure I'll be picking this one up a few more times this summer.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a yellow-orange witha nice thick head that never goes away but turns into a fine lace. The whole top of my glass is covered with a milky white lace up to the brim. Smells of bannana, and hints of coriander. Sense of alcohol comes through with the second inhale.

At first taste its kinda shocking with a brisk Champagne type feel. The Hops jump out at you and provide a sharp taste that lasts even after you swallow. Leaves a sweet aftertaste.

Really gives my mouth a full feeling. This is the second time I have tried this and will definitely have it again.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a slightly hazy, pale straw color with a fluffy two finger head settling very slowly to a thick foamy cap that never fades away, leaving behind a thick sheeting of lace.

Smell; this has a slightly weizen type smell to it, with some bananas, cloves and a bit of wheat. There's also a yeasty and somewhat floral aroma.

Taste; the bananas and cloves are present up front, with a bit of sweet pineapples mixed in. There's a definite belgian yeasty funkiness, with some outdoor/barnyard earthiness going on. A nice spiciness comes out and intermingles with a little hint of some alcohol, and finishes a bit dry. This gets even better once it gets close to room temperature. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, really easy to drink, and very refreshing.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Found Hennepin on draft at a Winking Lizard in Columbus and I couldn't pass it up. I always like to try Belgian and Belgian-style beers I've had in the bottle on draft to compare the flavors. Typically, I find these beers to be rounder (more balanced) and not as complex and flavorful as their bottled counterparts. This particular glass of Hennepin on draft was typical in that regard. I missed some of the rustic character of the brew on draft, but instead was left with a sweeter, less dry wheaty tasting ale, that was nonetheless quite refreshing. This beer was not as visually appeailing as the bottled version and lacked the mousse-like head of its bottled counterpart, although the aroma was still fairly bright with notes of vanilla. A white pepper spicines tended to come out a little more as the beer warmed up. The mouthfeel was very soft, with a little bit more of a bitter finish coming out as the beer warmed up. Perhaps served too cold. This was exceptionally drinkable at the right temperature.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle. Large, fluffy white head subsides slowly, retaining a half-finger height, and leaves sticky lacing. Somewhat cloudy pale gold body. Farmhouse funk in the nose, check, but fairly mellow and subdued for the style, rounded out by that Ommegang yeast which tends to smell almost like banana, with just a hint of horsehair. Nicely sharp carbonation in a crisp mouthfeel, the horses again in the flavor, apples and grapes, banana-y yeast, a dash of coriander, and a cute hop bittering to freshen it up.

Great for a summer day -- crisp and refreshing. Just enough funk to keep it funky. Pleasing and easy-going.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Ommegang Hennepin pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I'm not getting a lot from the aroma, its fairly mild. Taste is heavy on the horse blanket aspect of Belgian beer. Some hops are noticeable as well. Heavily carbonated, like seltzer, which seems to be appropriate for the style. Interesting. Worth a try, not my favorite style, but probably a pretty decent example of it.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle. Leaves a two finger pure white foamy head that recedes to lingering suface skim. Not too much lacing. Color is a hazy yellow-gold. Tight columns of tiny bubbles throughout.

Aroma - bananas, other esters, some phenolic odors, but the banana thing dominates.

Taste - like the nose. Big taste of estery bananas and very mild phenolic taste. A little bit of white wine in there, too. Little bit of spiciness (probably from the yeast) . Aftertaste of, yes, bananas.

Mouthfeel - full to moderate, with much carbonation.

Drinkabilty - this goes down very easy and I'd easily have another. This is very good.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Apple juicy, brassy yellow body with just a slight yeasty haze. Easy-going, white, frothy head, the texture of steamed milk

Smell: If I were to describe the way this smells (and I am), I would say it's like a blend of a fine Czech pilsener and an even finer brut champagne. Splendid! I also detect green bananas, sage, white grapes, phenols, and carnation-like floral notes. Very fruity, very complex.

Taste: The aroma's nuances do not mislead. White wine dominates, banana flavors and tart, musty yeast are also strong, and fresh pineapple appears. Spicy alcohol and a quinine-like flavor lend the impression of a gin and tonic.

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly carbonated and light, yet creamy and chewy.

Drinkability: Hooray! This is a really drinkable, really interesting ale. Serve with anything that calls for white wine.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

750 ml champagne style bottle purchased at the bewery. Cave-Aged Version. Poured into an Ommegang glass.

As good as the regular Hennepin is, this version that was aged in caves for eight months in upstate New York is even better. It is not as sharp, and is slightly sweeter. There is a slight apple sweetness to both the smell and the taste that is wonderful. The is still a slight spicy bite upfront, but it mellows into a wonderfully smooth finish. This is one of the best domestic beer I have had the pleasure to try. I think it might be even better with another few months of aging, that would allow it to mellow even more.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang