Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. The beer poured a hazy golden color with a thick white head with good lacing and thick lively bubbles. The aroma is a nice citrusy mix with some spice. Perfect farmhouse smell. The taste give a good balance of the citrusy, sweetness and the thick carbonation. These two mask nicely the 7.5% ABV. Overall this is an enjoyable beer in one of my favorite styles.

ggaughan, Feb 11, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring from a 22 oz. bottle, it pours into a tulip glass at room temp a lemon peel color w/ 1 1/2" white eggshell head. Very spongy with lots of sustainance; fairly cloudy appearance.

Aroma is mostly citrus with some slight spice (coriander?). it has a lot of sourness to the nose along with a bit of alcohol...a bit much for 7.5%.

Sipping is a bit of sour & bitter lemon flavor, but a lot of alcohol and carbonation kills a lot of the flavor i hoped to get from this. Some peppery flavor sneaks through along with some yeast. Maybe a bit of grass hops at the end along with some alcohol.

Lots of carbonation stings my tongue but the body is rather light. Decent alcohol bite. Could be better.

Overall, this is okay, but a bit disappointing to me considering the source of brewing.

Fish113d, Feb 10, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

I was looking forward to trying this beer, and came away unimpressed. I had a 750ml bottle, started cold, let the bottle sit at room temperature before pouring again. It was a cloudy yellow appearance with a very minimal head and no lace to speak of. It had a nice tart fruit odor to it, and a nondescript fruity taste, with some slight hoppiness. It felt just OK in the mouth. Was good to drink, but not exciting. I'll have to try it again to see if it was me or that particular bottle that wasn't working well.

lordofthewiens, Feb 09, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a Westmalle chalice from a corked 750ml bottle, caged.

A - A golden yellow with slight cloudiness. Robust white head with considerable retention and strong lacing of the glass. A gorgeous beer.

S - Hmmm ... NY not Belgium, huh? Are we sure? Smells like a true Belgian delight. Yeasty with a slight sweetness and the hint of spices. Fruity nose of melon and grapes.

T - Wow ... this is very white wine-like. I taste white grapes up front with a yeasty floral character. Slightly tangy and tart ... the fruity sweetness is offset by the dry persistence of hop accents. The alcohol is noticeable, but only in a wine-like manner. Superb. When I first tasted this, I thought "this taste I know" but couldn't identify ... I later realized this ale is so very much like a good, dry white wine.

M - I'd say this is definitely a medium-bodied ale, with quite a lot of carbonation. It's very "alive." As it warms, it pours in the mouth and covers like a pleasing effervescent blanket. This one "plays" in the mouth.

D - I'm half way through the 750ml bottle now and I'll assuredly finish it. What a pleasant, fun beer. I've had Ommegang Three Philosophers, and the Rare Vos, and liked them both for their own merits ... but this one, so far, is my favorite from Ommegang hand's down. Imminently drinkable and user-friendly, this ale ranks at the very top of the category ... Belgian or not. I had to remind myself that this wasn't an authentic Belgian ale, at least in the sense that it was brewed there. It IS authentic ... just from NY. Highly recommended and may well have a place in my top 10. An accomplishment. My hat (if I had one) off to Brewery Ommegang for this outstanding beer. I will buy more and propogate it liberally to my friends ... too good not to share.

beerphilosopher, Feb 04, 2006

750ml bottle

Pours a hazy golden bown with a huge fluffy white head that sustains. Thick bands of lacing on the glass.

Aroma is slightly sweet with fruity citrus notes. A nice breadiness is present with some hints of spice. Very fresh taste.

A tasty bready and citrus fruity flavor. Some hints of clove and a slight spiciness are present. Finishes slightly dry and fruity.

Plenty of carbonation, slick creamy texture.

Super drinkable, a solid saison.

MaltyGoodness, Feb 03, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a very clear slightly pinkish golden like some champagnes are. There was a 1/4" head at first pour, that slowly fell to a 1/8" head that stuck around forever. There was some serious lacing left on the glass after dinking

Aroma: Very dry and grainy aroma with some bready yeast character. As you get deeper into the aroma, you can pick up some spice that seems like it is alcohol driven as anything.

Taste: The taste is a bit dry and attenuated also. I believe that this beer has seen better days. There is a noticeable spiciness that must be from the yeast as well. The underlying character of this beer definitely has potential. As the beer warms a bit, the flavor gets a lot softer edge to it. It is getting rather creamy and some sweetness is coming out.

Opinion: Well, after all was said and done, I ended up liking this beer even though I am convinced that it has some age on it. The flavor was complex and there were only minor flaws caused by the age. I would definitely try this beer again when it is a fresher example

SkeeterHawk, Feb 03, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazed citrusy yellow, with the most aggressive head I have ever enjoyed...massive, sticky, and unrelenting, be careful when you pour this one. Nose is fruity with an interesting background of typical musty, sweatish notes that are expected in the style...smells very appropriate. Taste is a bit smoother than expected with delicious lemon and clove along with dry finish and mild alcoholic warming. This one is a balanced and easy drinking example of the style, very good...I'll have this again

masikon, Jan 31, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Half-inch head, nice retention. Pale yellow, semi-cloudy, loads of carbonation

S: Citrus, wheat, banana, sweet but mildly spicy...

T: Lemony, spicy, balance of sweet and sour, dry finish with alcohol well-hidden

M: Smooth, lots of fizz, medium thick, nice coating

D: Highly drinkable brew. Good balance of flavors, alcohol doesn't play too strongly. Mouthfeel is great. Highly recommended...

bennetj17, Jan 30, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased at Kroger, yes Kroger $4.99, here in Georgia.Tasted out of 750 ml bottle, poured into straight sided pint glass {Tumbler}.
Amazing head, 2 fingers that lingers forever and recedes into a thick lace. Slightly cloudy light yellow color, Aromas of lemon and bread. Light, citrusy flavor, lemons, grapefruit, medium mouthfeel, no alcohol burn. Wonderful product, much fresher than Belgian Saison beers. Makes me wish Ommegang made more than the few styles they do!! I don't think I have ever enjoyed a beer with a thicker head {like whipped cream} that sticks to the glass as I drink it down. Almost exactly the flavor of Saison Du Pont only fresher.

I'll go down this road again.

barleyman

barleyman, Jan 29, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a lightly hazy medium yellow with a large, white, pillowy head with good retention. The smell is if moderate wheat over yeast and mild malt aromas. Banana, coriander, melon, green apple and some light flowers. The fruitiness is light but very nice. Taste-wise, it’s quite similar to the nose, but better. Malts come on a little stronger accompanied by some fruity esters, dry hops, and a little more spiciness. The finish is floral, lightly bitter and slightly astringent. Very nice mouthfeel, light and refreshing despite its complexity. Nicely done.

ski271, Jan 29, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

After struggling with the cork for some time, the bottle burst open and spattered my pant legs with beer. After blotting my self dry, I poured the beer and noted a golden colour with some murkiness. A small white head developed but flattened hurriedly. Some random fingers of lace stuck throughout the tasting. The nose had a funky wheat sort of spice quality. P'raps a bit clovey and peppery as well. Yeasty. The beer was also mildly alcoholic and was somehow reminding me of lagerish scents. The taste was somewhat "farmhouse" sour. Notes of banana and wheatish flavours as well as clove and strange esters were notable. The mouthfeel had a sort of creaminess and a solid pils style body. Easily medium. The drinkability was not a problem for me. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. Great, nah.

SupaCelt, Jan 29, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Appearence - Poured a brilliant golden-orange into my goblet, with a small creamy white head that never went away. Looks great, wish I had a camera to take a pic of it.

Smell - Smells of citrus, like ripened lemon's with a bit of zestyness, really smells enticing.

Taste - Wow, starts off sweet, with a nice bready flavor which subsides into a lemon/orange citrus taste. As it warms up the bready flavor is up front and the citrus comes out more, warming up a little only makes this better.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, bubbly, slightly earthy. Goes down smooth, and feels nice in the mouth.

Drinkability - Had a 750ml bottle, and I want more! This was good, was my first saison style and now I want another.

Iguana, Jan 28, 2006

Poured into pint glass.
A good pour. Nice head, white, foamy and lacing. good endurance. A little sediment brings bubbles through the golden, hazy body.
Smell had pinch of rose, I think. Malt, hops, citrus and something like raisin.
Taste was a good rich mixture of sweetness, malt, hops, wheat or hay. Some underpinnings of citrus.
I put 4 on the drinkability b/c of its richness.

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color. A great, sticky, 2-inch white head forms that leaves good lacing.

As the beer warms the aroma really picks up. Smells like honey, lemon and very yeasty.

The taste is very complex. Very grassy and earthy with a hint of citrus. Alcohol and the hops come through at the end. A little spice also, kind of like cloves, that leaves the tongue slighty numbed. A medium mouthful with more carbonation than expected.

Overall, a great beer and the first saison I've had. I will definitely come back to this one often.

gatorsuf1, Jan 25, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A: BIG, fluffy white head that is thick and foamy. Golden pale yellow in color-opaque. Good lacing throughout.
S: Complex-spicy, tart fruit, yeast, earth, some lemon peel and spiced tart fruit. Some faint floral scents.
T: Wow. Smooth. Spiced tart fruit, yeasty and earthy notes with a touch of green hops in the background. Also, some lemon peel present as well as other tart fruits, and a slight alcohol presence. Lush flavors that are complex, tart fruit and spicy with yeast and earth notes.
MF: Medium and lush with a dry yet smooth finish.
Overall: A great beer-great flavor and lush. Definately worth a try and worthy of a permanent place in my fridge. Bumped it's way into the realm of my favorites. Excellent rendition of an (sadly) obscure style.

Illinick, Jan 23, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -5%

I shared a pitcher of this beer with my girlfriend and a friend of hers. This beer looks fantastic in the Hennepin goblets they gave us. The beer has a hazy golden coloration. The head is very thick and an off white color. The lacing was very good and followed the beer all the way down the glass until completion it has a peppery-nutmeg spicy fermented fruit smell with nice musty spicy yeasty notes. The taste is floral-citrus sweetness with lovely spicy notes in the flavor. This beer is very balanced. This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel. There is good carbonation in this beer. This is just an easy to drink beer.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 23, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a big head that is dissipating slowly.

Smell: Very yeasty and bready. Also a strong citrus/fruit aroma and a slight grassy aroma. As the beer warms I am picking out a pepper/clove taste. Very balanced.

Taste: Starts off with a sour and citrus taste that moves onto a yeasty and bread taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel. Ends slightly dry.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could easily have a few of these in a sitting.

This is my first beer of this style and I must say that it is delicious. I think it will be even better when the warm weather gets here.

bahumutx, Jan 23, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Is it OK to drink this in January ? You bet it is! A really good Saison...reminds me of summer ...and a nice little change from the wonderful heavy seasonals that I've been drinking lately.
Pours hazy gold with an huge head....lacing nicely.
Smells yeasty and malty.
Nicely balanced malt with a perfect amount of floral hop bitterness, and the alcohol is right there. More complex than I thought it would be....this is an ale to savor.
Mouthfeel is just right...medium, with a slightly dry finish.Medium to high carbonation.
I could easily go through a few of these with or without food...it went really well with a white pizza.
Another great one from Ommegang.

Hautacam, Jan 23, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a cloudy, straw-honey color with a huge explosive head. Took a while to get all the beer in the glass what with all that foam just sitting around and such.
Smell is spice, malt, yeast, hops, fruit (green apple) with a floral note.
Taste is exactly as the nose predicted, unusual as that is.
With a medium body that leaned to the fuller side, I was surprised at this brew's lightness on the palate. The clean finish was nice as well. This is a really good beer. Kind of like a wheat but with more body.

PorterLambic, Jan 21, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Ommegang makes such good beer. The fact that its practically in my backyard is a bonus. Hennepin was the first Beer i tried from ommegang, and remains my favorite. I love saisons, and this is a bonafide classic. cloudy, sour, refreshing, not to sweet, damn good stuff. This beer pours a light gold amber, hazy with a healthy foamy head retention, nice yeasty ring in the bottom of the bottle left behind. Smells of citrus, a little alcohol, light sweetness. The flavor is all saison, nice sour tartness, a little sweetness to balance it out, wonderfully refreshing. Great Beer .

edchef1850, Jan 16, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Another classic that I've yet to review. Ommegang, the piece du resistance of American breweries. How I do love your fine Belgian style products. From the price, to the bottle art, to the pouring instructions and trivial facts on the back of your label, to your hometown--location of the quintesentially American sport's hall of fame and the original American popular novelist. But I digress. On with the review.

Hennepin pours a hazy/light orange color with a good, full, fluffy head. Despite its opaqueness, bubble activity is noteable in the glass. Decent lacing as well.

Smells of yeast, wheat and hops. And did I mention citrus fruit? It certainly has that in the aroma as well. Floral tones help complete a fine balance. A nasal delight.

Tastes fantastic. A great balance of sweetness, wheat and hoppy bitterness. There is a nice citrus, and slight spice kick at the end of the swallow.

In the mouth Father Hennepin's Saison is crisp, sharp and bitter all at the same time. Sweetness completes an incomprable quaff. Very impressive.

On the whole this is one of my favorite beers. It has just enough hop bitterness to complement the yeast/fruit tastes typical of Belgians. To my mind this is the finest saison around. An American classic!!

macpapi, Jan 13, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a hazy gold with big carbonation and a thick white head that lasts. Aroma is dominated by spice with a hint of fruit. The flavor displays a dry, peppery character with an underlying lime-like citrus essence. Spritzy carbonation, a medium body, and a slightly perceptable alcohol finish make this an excellent example of the style.

marksto, Jan 13, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Served from a 750ml bottle to my Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance -- Hazy light gold in color with a tall frothy white head, reminiscent of a cloud.

Smell -- Smells like a clear early summer day. Kind of floral . . . a lot of life. Complex.

Taste -- Semi-fruity and earthy. Very nice.

Mouthfeel -- Nice carbonation; very pleasant mouthfeel.

Drinkability -- Quite quaffable. This is one I'll be seeking out on a regular basis. This is my first Ommegang product and I like it very much. You get a lot of value for the price you pay. I cannot believe this is made in New York. It totally feels like it's from Belgium. Great stuff!

ClearDog, Jan 08, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer pours a light, mild golden yellow with a bit of smooth white head sustained by a stream of bubbles from the bottom of the chalice. Smells of caramel and spicy yeast with a wonderful sour grape smell. The flavor is dominated by an amazing musky yeast and malt that are beyond my vocabulary, but I must try none the less. There’s a mossy anis-like yeast that just grooves with my palate and a green grass undertone. There’s also an obscured foundation of sweet grains that taste like oats and wheat. Light airy bubbles seem to unlock a hint of mandarin oranges and a very subtle dry piney hops. The mouth feel was medium bodied with an unobtrusive carbonation. Absolutely amazing. I just couldn’t/can’t believe that this is made in New York. Highly recommended.

DarkerTheBetter, Jan 06, 2006

Pours a very hazy golden, huge white head forms, good retention and lots of lace. Smell is sweet, honey, some cork, wheat, citrus, spice and yeast. Taste is sweet with notes of honey, spice, very malty, wheat, caramel and yeast. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Good beer but I don't think I'd put it in the top 100.

Viggo, Jan 03, 2006