Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +12%

Split a bottle with Kathleen and Golden2wenty1.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber, pours a big head and thick suds. Low viscosity. Impressive under light--reminiscent of La Chouffe.

Aroma: Golden raisins, treacle, a little breadiness. Lemon, orange, and honey development and the faintest hints of spice and pine. Very rich nose, and very pleasant.

Taste: Ginger, lemongrass, honey and lemon zest--good bready foundations. Some grassy notes and a little cloves. Banana and apricot developments. Some pepper and a splash of pine in the finish. The flavors in here are certainly equal to LaChouffe, which this beer constantly reminds me of.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp. Nice hops finish. Smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: Great--what a treat to have had this on the same night as the Fantome Strange Ghost. At the price, this might be one of the best belgians--in fact, just one of the best beers period--available. Fruity, refreshing, fantastic.

4.11/5  rDev -1%

Hennepin pours a cloudy golden brown, with a silky white head. The nose offers a lot, most prominently orange peel and spice, with a littelf floral note. It drinks smooth with good efferesence. It has nice spice in the mouth, and is fairly well balanced. In my opinion, it's about as good a Belgian clone as is made in the states, but doesn't stand up to the complexities of the style from the traditional standpoint.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

I just can't figure this beer out - I think its a great beer, but I have a hard time articulating why I think that... This is the SECOND time that I have had this on-tap at home... The first time, I had a half-barrel - when I picked up that keg, it was already a number of months old... I don't recall the exact age, but I recall emailing the folks at Ommegang and they told me that this beer would age well... Anyway, the sedond time, I had this i in a log and it was more current... I think I preferred the first, older, version... This is just an unusual style... Sweet, carbonated and notes of honey. I dinged it a little bit for mouthfeel - I think you can sense the carbonation and relatively high alcohol... Even so, I just like it... A great beer, even if I can't say why I think so...

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

750 ml bottle

Pours a cloudy golden color with a creamy white head that fades quickly to a 1/8" cap, leaving generous rings around the snifter all the way down. Aroma is fruity, with hints of raison, apple, and pear. A slight hop presence is there also, along with a hint of yeast. Taste is tart and fruity up front, with some hop bitterness on the palate right before washing away for a clean finish. This beer is slippery on the palate, going down with relative ease. This is a great beer! A very nice warm weather substitute to it's Abbey Ale companion.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to Scott Ross for this...
Appears a transparent light gold with a small white head that slowly fades out.
Smell is of vanilla cream, Belgian yeast, pils malt, funky sour noted esters, light caramel, and mild hoppy citrus notes.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas. This one actually reminds me a tad of Dupont although more depth to this one and more of a sugary taste.
Mouthfeel is bitter-sweet, mildly sour in a refreshing medium body.
I like this Americanized version of a farmhouse. Pretty good stuff.

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a hazy yellow body with some carbonation present in the body. Has a white head that disipates quickly to form a film across the surface. The beer's aroma consists of Hops, some spices and yeast. The taste follows the aroma fairly well. However, the hops are more apparent in the taste. The beer has a froathy body that leads to a lingering residual sweetness that I don't like about American breweries takes on Belgian Beers. Slight Alcohol present in the warmth.

Can't say I was overly impressed with this beer. I wouldn't get it again.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

A bar pour yields no head in the straight edge pint glass. The beer is only slightly hazy. It's mostly a clear light gold. The nose is much lighter than the bottle, with just hints of the grassy funk I expect. The taste follows suit, being more mellow, less grassy and bitter than the bottle. Suffers a bit due to the loss of complexity. The mouthfeel tells you that this is a lively beer, with huge carbonation pushing through the medium body. A good beer on tap, but much better bottle-conditioned.

A note: the brewer at the State College BrewExpo said they recently stopped keg conditioning, so perhaps this could explain a bit...?

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Had a glass on tap at the Hopleaf Bar in Chicago, servered in a hennepin glass.

Murky golden yellow hue with a rocky white head that lasted quite a long time.

Lots of aromas, lemons,pepper, nuts, grains, and earthy yeasts.

Great flavor, with grains citrus(lemons, pineapple) Hoppy biscuit flavor. Very complex but well balenced. the mouthfeel was very refreshing but sensed the alcohol.

A very fine and drinkable beer. Have one as often as possible.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

***
Caved Aged Edition
***

Sampled: 7.9.06

The only thing that distinguishes this bottle from an ordinary bottle of Hennepin as a ‘Cave Aged’ edition is a card hanging from the corked & caged bottle neck by a gold elastic.

The beer’s pale gold is slightly cloudy and sits under a medium 1 inch head. The foam leaves plenty of lacing clining to the sides of the glass.

The aroma is immediately the tartness of fresh green apples hanigng out over the appropriate Belgian style funkification. Sweet and slightly spicy, but not overly so. Sweetness and tartness rule the nose in this town.

The flavor starts tart, carried from the aroma and is noticabley crisp. Soon sugary malts come through as the brew warms in the mouth. A slight edge of bitterness at the end of the taste hits as the beer goes down the throat. Though I can’t be certain as I didn’t do a side by side, it seems as though the year in the cave smoothed the brew out, gave it some balance. It’s dry and light in the mouth, with a medium carbonated body. The dryness, possibly a result of the yeasts having more time to perform?

The beer is quite drinkable. It’s crisp, tart and dry finish makes it a good one to have on hand like anyone else would have wine, but much less potent at 7.5% ABV. Highly recommended, though I can’t say whether this Aged version is worth the extra $1. The Hennepin itself is delicious, no amount of agign would change that in any subpar brew.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at Melton's in Decatur, poured into a nice Hennepin tulip glass.

A - light golden, almost straw colored, almost perfectly clear, slight haze. Head is bright, bright white, like a well-bleached flour. Tight collection of tiny bubbles. Lacing is outstanding and thick all down the sides of the glass. Head retention also excellent.

S - light, sweet pilsner malt aroma followed by significant bursts of spice such as corriander, cloves, and fresh cracked peppercorns. Lots of spicy, citrus fruit aromas as well. Notes of higher alcohols. Little hop aroma.

T - spicy, fruity, flowery flavors overlying the sweet, slightly corny malt foundation. Light bitterness, but beer is mostly sweet and spicy. Warming alcohol. Nots of oranges, pineapple, citrus, cloves, pepper. Very, very tasty beer. Alcohol content is fairly well masked.

M - light bodied, carbonation is medium high to high, tingly. Fairly dry finish.

D - light bodied, yet somewhat filling beer due to the carbonation. Alcohol content also makes this slightly prohibitive as a regular drinker. But very, very tasty interpretation of the farmhouse style. Another fine offering from Brewery Ommegang.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Pale, cloudy amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Spicey/citrus nose. Starts almost sweet reminds me of a wheat, tart finish. $5.35 for a 750ml bottle from Butter's Fine Food & Wine Concord, NH.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

9/18/2005 $4.49 750 mL 7.70% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a clear pale gold with coarse carbonation that yields roughly a quarter inch of thin white head in my chalice.

Aroma:

Green pepper mixed with an abundance of black pepper mask a somewhat malty background.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very peppery, with coarse carbonation, and an overabundance of carbonation. My second saison this weekend, and while I enjoy this more than the Fantome, this ain't my cup of tea. Bitter, unappealing, and even though cheap, not worth it.

Ommegang Hennepin is my taste of the saison style. I quite enjoyed it as I continue to explore the various Belgian styles.

A: Pale straw colored and hazy. Nice white head that disapates quickly. Little or no lacing.

S: Smells mild. No hops or floral of any kind. Sweet malts and sour yeast are present.

T: Follows smell. Malts and yeast are the predominant tastes. Little to no bitterness. Alcohol finishes slightly warming.

M&D: Medium body and clean mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

(Served in a chalice)

A- A hazy lemon yellow body with a thin white head that last for the full glass. It is a bit to hazy to see any carbonation in this beer.

S- The dry faint tart notes come through with a faint lemon zest hint in the finish. There is a very light earthy hint to the tartness.

T- The dry tart flavors can't really be associated with anything and it is followed by a faint spicy note that is hard to describe also. The faint taste of black pepper and lemon/grapefruit start to come through. There is a faint soapy taste that in pleasant with a light bitterness from hops at the finish.

M-This beer has a medium light mouthfeel that is crisp.

D-This beer might sound awful the way I described it in my review but it was very taste with a very mysterious flavor that was hard to put into words. This beer is proof that you can make a fizzy yellow beer that taste great.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured this corked and caged 750 ml into a Duvel glass. Slowly I built a 4 inch head of tiny bubbles. The head broke down into a rocky bubble-bath froth over time, but never dissipating completely.

The body was a light, cloudy white/yellow.

Smelled sour (in a good way). Citrusy yeast. Earthy yet bright. Hints of alcohol as it warmed. Pleasant. I was eager to try a sip.

Tasted light and citrusy. Perfect hop crispness to balance the tartness. Apples and honeydew. Tasted similar to champagne. Alcohol was well hidden. Approachable yet complex. Refreshing but one you can contemplate.

Mouthfilling like champagne, effervescent, enjoyable.

Highly recommend. All-around delight.

4.73/5  rDev +14%

This Saison pours with a nice looking cascading rocky white head. Lacing is good and head retention is just about as good, though not quite. The color of this farmhouse ale is a very clear golden yellow. Overall it looks appetizing.

One of the first things I noticed about this beer upon opening it was its complex aroma. There is a distinct yeasty aroma about this beer. There is also a spicy character easily picked up by the nose, Sazz perhaps? In the background I detect some slight fruit/sweet notes.

The nose of this beer is only the tip of the Iceberg. It would be nice if more of the complex flavor were represented in the aroma of this beer. This beer has got a nice overall flavor to it. Lots of things going on. There is definitely a fruity sweetness to it that can't be missed. Also notes of light caramel. Finishes with just the right amount of hops to offset the sweetness. Along with these bittering hops, the spicy character can be tasted as well(I'm going to assume that this is Sazz). Alcohol is slightly detectable (taste) as it goes down the throat.

On the palate this beer is very light. It goes down easy and warms just a bit as it goes down. carbonation does not get in the way of the delicate taste of this beer.The beer is clean tasting and crisp, it finishes fairly dry. This is a beer I will definitely be buying again.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Okay I admit I'm an American and English beer kind of guy in general and not at all into Belgians (gasp!), but I remembered liking this one in the past. Pours a bright, glowing golden hue, but is slightly cloudy or hazed below the one finger foamy head. Smells Belgian (uh oh, I think), yeasty, sweetish, and only gently hoppy--not too much smelling going on here as it makes me nervous and the aroma of Belgian beers make me think of dusty cellars by association... Okay here I go...tastes fruity and complex--fruity in a white wine kind of way. Nectar like. Has waves and layers of flavor. Definite alcohol presence. Starts with the fruit-like malts, flashes alcohol, adds a flair of spice, and finishes with a juicy, fruit-zest hops lingering on the tongue for a moment or two. I'm not in love with the taste, but it's intriguing. Mouthfeel is full but on the tongue sits slightly watery--more so than expected, I expected more syrup, but it is pleasing. Not sure how I feel about the carbonation level..a bit high. Drinkability wise, this is nothing I'll swoon over and plan my day around, but it's a good beer that seems it could go well with the summer bread, cheese, fruit, and spiced meats kind of picnic.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is cloudy, light straw-colored, with a pure white, delicate head that was almost two inches thick.

The smell was clovey, spicey, very pleasant.

Taste was less spicey than the aroma, but still noticeably a saison. VEry crisp, clean flavor.

Mouthfeel was light, crisp, but still present and noticeable.

I could drink this all day.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bright clear gold with a huge white head, amplified by the glass. Lots of bubbles coming up.

Smells of banana and citrus, spicy clove, and malty and hoppy undertones.

Light earthy malts and a mild hops finish. Not as fruity as the aroma, but the banana, orange, and lemon undertones are still there. Plenty of spice as well. Excellent balance, but mostly very subtle. Somewhat of a yeasty aftertaste.

Light, crisp, and refreshing. Goes down very smooth. If I didn't know better, I'd believe this was a true Belgian Saison. Excellent beer, would recommend to anyone.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a hazy medium yellow/gold with a nice head that evaporates at quick rate. Smell is of bananas, citrus, fruity, cantaloupe, yeast, spices, etc...One of the best noses I have ever experienced in a beer. Exceptional. As for the taste, it's right up there as well. Much like the nose, it tastes of bananas, yeast, honey dew melon, some spiciness that would be expected from this genre of beers, just party in my mouth. Mouthfeel is decent, creamy yet maybe a little too carbonated. For a 7.7% brew, this is EXTREMELY drinkable - even TOO drinkable. Hennepin is so tasty and refreshing, and hides the alcohol level extremely well so be responsible downing these gems.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

I popped the cork on this 750 ml bottle only to have it hit the ceiling, wall and then my chest with surprising force. No foam out of the bottle, but it does pour a surprisingly large head. Color is just slightly cloudy gold. Smell is slightly grainy and sweet, a bit reminiscent of tomato vines and just a little yeasty. Taste is a delicious sweet pungent flavor, a little bready and yeasty. the 7.5% is extremely well hidden. It is extremely smooth and refreshing, I could drink this after a run and feel satisfied. I had this beer for the first time last year around this time. It was my introduction to the style, as well as the first Belgian style beer that I truely loved, enough to go out and buy another bottle of it almost right away. All around a great way to break into the style, I feel that I now appreciate and enjoy a lot more Belgians.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a cloudy yellow orange with a real small white head, although it left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of creamsicles, bananas, slight daiquiri. Taste of citrus and melong, with also a rustic earthiness to it. Nicely creamy mouthfeel. It had a smooth start and a spicy alcoholic finish.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

My first review of this beer was written when I was just getting into craft beer. I remember the beer being a bit too much for me then thus the less than stellar review. I was able to revisit this gem when it I was it on tap at my local beer bar. I have to say that this is great on tap.

Taste: Spiced banana, clove and wheat notes. I could really sit and drink this all day. I have to say this is one of the better tasting beers I have had in awhile.

Smell: Banana and citrus notes. Slight wheat presence.

Ap: A clear light gold. The head disappeared quickly and there was hardly any lacing.

Verdict: I take back my comments that this isn't a top 100 beer. This beer deserves all the praises it should get.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

An average looking beer. Pale hay/copper with hardly any head. A bad pour by the bartender?

A malty yeasty aroma with hints of earth & meat. Somewhat sour fruit, lemon, orange, and melon.

Carbonated yet creamy mouthfeel with flavors of lemon fruit, sour candy, earth, flowers, and some grilled vegetable flavors. Leaves a sour off taste in the finish.

I've had this bottled and thought it was far superior. Could have been dirty lines?

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

S - 750 ml bottle with ommegang label around neck and hennepin label around bottle.

A - Pours a golden dull with a nice white head that sticks around the egdes. really chunky and thick then falls to a single layer on top of the beer.

S - Honey is the first thing, then pepper and spices expose themselves and finish with a phenolic kind of estery scent, kind of fruity and medicinal. The alcohol is also kind of present.

T - Earthy and grassy with a nice touch of lemon, then mildly hoppy, not overpowering but just right. kind of dry and a decently grainy. very very nice.

M - Crisp and fresh, perfect for a saison. hugs your tongue at first and then cuts through and leaves you nice and refreshed.

D - Lets put it this way, i need at least 3 750's for a night. a beautiful beer.

Tips - You can get a "universal glass" from ommegang's website, they used to have a hennepin glass but it is discontinued. The best saison i have ever tried, hands down.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang