Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,548
3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rich malty nose,with a slight belgian nose,slightly phenolic. deep reddish brown,nice lace, thick head. Slightly metallic, but rich malt with a nice lingering finish that drys out nicely, well balanced, hops are well underlining, and blends nicely with the malts. (263 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold. Minimal head, cloudy as hell.

S: Fresh, pungent, lemons, sour, wild flowers, orange. The fact that I get a lot of aroma from this beer says something since my sense of smell lacks a bit.

T: Champagne, sour, this is a beer that I feel is the benchmark for the style. This is a superb summer beer with a bright, fresh taste that leaves the mouth feeling like you just ate a garden salad with some green apples and a light vinaigrette.

M: The prevalence of green apple taste made me think that I would have the aftertaste in my mouth that I get from green apples, but I absolutely do not. This beer gently rolls off the tongue and leaves me feeling light and fresh.

D: I love this beer. I need to go buy more. As summer approaches, I can see myself sitting out on my deck on a cool MN summer night drinking a four pack of this lovely brew. I will be purchasing more. (897 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a beer mug.

This beer has a straw yellow, slightly opaque color. A massive head results from the pouring of this beer, leaving the appearance of soap suds on the sides of the glass as it dissipates. Each sip leaves a bot of that soap-bubble styled lacing.

The smell of this beer is a little metallic with hints of yeast and fruit typical of a Belgian-styled beer. Potentially there is a little bit of citrus as well.

Hennepin tastes of mild citrus and light yeast coupled with dried fruit maybe. A malty-yeastiness maybe. The finish is full of alcohol flavor, which I didn't really expect. A little metallic.

This beer has a good bit of carbonation; chewing produces a good bit of that soap-like lacing in one's mouth. The alcohol makes it's presence known in feel too.

As far as drinkability, this beer is not too bad overall, a light Belgian-style that is bright and proves to be a nice sipper; however, the presence of alcohol flavor from a 7.7% ABV beer kind of makes me want to drink one, then move on.

Overall Ommegang does well in their saison offering. (1,107 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer is one of my all time favorites.

It pours golden clear with a nice off white head. Good retention.

Smells like a mixture of fruit and malt. Spicy notes. Very nice.

This Belgian beer is everything that this style is about. It is not over sweet or over refined. It is PERFECT! (287 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Cloudy and golden with lovely white head that sticks around. Very smooth and full bodied initially, followed by a bitter/alcohol/carbonation gang-bang bite at the back of the palate and into the nose coupled with a lingering bitterness with a slight tartness that leaves the outsides of your tongue somewhat numb. Taste is very similar to biere de garde style with lots of spiciness but not much wineniness. (407 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Golden with a little orange tint - white head a little thin - probably becuase it was on tap and a little colder than room temp.

S: Citrus and fruit but not overpowering with a little bit of floral and yeast coming through

T: Excellent taste - a little bit of citrus but not too much fruit - excellent balance between not being to sweet or too bitter- very well balanced with alcohol

M: A great balance between being light but with body. Nice amount of carbonation - not too bubbly but not flat at all -The taste keeps going in your mouth after each sip.

D: Perfect beer for a relaxing day or evening. Goes down smoothly and able to savor for a while - wouldn't drink too quickly.

From a tap served in a large snifter type glass

[ serving type: draft into glass]
-- (792 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours golden orange with fluffy/billowing white head. Sweet aroma of yeast, citrus, slight hops and alcohol. Flavor begins with nice citrus and grapefruit and then transitions into crisp herbs, pepper and spice. Medium body. The head is thick and creamy, really gorgeous. Nice Saison. (284 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Beautiful pour into sniffer glass. 3 fingers of white head with great retention and lacing. Smell is great - Belgian yeast, honey suckle, sweet bready malts, alcohol esters. Taste is solid with a very dry crisp finish - champagne like. Overall, a good brew, but for some reason I can't finish more than one. I've had a few saisons and prefer Stillwater. (353 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm becoming more aquatinted with the style, but I like what I've had so far.

A- A deep golden body with a thick, fluffy white head. Definitely a sexy looking beer.

S- Funky with some hay, must, bubble gum, and a hint of citrus

T- Must, Belgian yeast, grain. Very earthy. Reminiscent of a Belgian white, but with a much richer body.

M- Creamy with medium to full mouthfeel

D- Quite drinkable. A very approachable Belgian. (426 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz bottle picked up from Binnys Schaumburg.

Appearance: Cloudy, straw colored with a wonderful two-inch white head that laces well down the glass and never disapates.

Smell: Sour grain-like aroma. A slight peach aroma, but there was a slight macro lager aroma to this bottle.

Taste: Smooth with some tart characteristics that are reminiscient of Granny Smith apples. A slight citrus acidity exists, but there was not any hint of coriander, clove, cinnamon or orange peel. A slight hop earthy hop character, but not much bitterness.

Overall: Quite different from the usual 750 ml bottles I've become used to. I feel somewhat let down since this is one of my favorite beers. May have to go buy a 750 ml for a side-by-side comparison. (739 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

750 ml bottle poured into a Riedel stemless white wine glass.

Hazy yellow-gold with a chunky head which almost pulled away from the sides of the glass and became like a white mountainous island in the center. Bitter orange and crystalized ginger on the nose with a small amounts of barnyard going on.

Flavors are dominated by citrus sweet and sour, however my first reaction was something distinctly Caribbean.For me this can typically mean spiced rum or coconuts but after a bit more exploration I realized it was a very noticable plantain flavor. Keeping with the Caribbean theme (which is very subtle)there is a creaminess which combined with the pineapple flavor reminds me of a classic pina colada. Despite the appearance of a creamy texture there is a Champagne-like sharpness which makes this Saison extremely dry and refreshing. (838 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into imp pint glass. This is nowhere near my first Hennepin, but first time having it in awhile and first time reviewing it.

A: Where to begin? Let's go bottom up. A brilliant yellow/gold that nearly radiates out of the glass at the bottom. Moving up, the beer retains the golden color, but becomes cloudier. The carbonation racing to the top is very clear. The head is perfect. It's huge and fuffy at first, exactly what the best summer clouds look like. The head recedes to a 1/2 cm white that remains for the duration of the drink.

S: Dry and fruity. The dryness of the smell would have been a turn-off if this was my first encounter with this beer as it truly is the predominant aroma. With a big of agitation, the alcohol also reveals itself. There is a nice fruity compliment to these aromas, but they arrive at the end.

T: Worry not, children, this is not a dry white wine. This beer is bursting with flavor, but in now way overpowering in any way. The fruitiness is the first flavor to come through, a pleasant sweetness. To balance this, the beer becomes drier, but nowhere near the dryness that that the aroma indicates. As the brew warms, the dryness comes forth more, but again, this is not the predominate flavor. There is zero booze flavor

M: Light, crisp, bubbly and dry. This is an extremely pleasant beer on the tongue. The beginning is very much light and crisp, the perfect beer to enjoy a summer day or warm evening with. The residual feel is a sweetness and dryness.

O: A great beer. Lots of flavor, but a beer that can does not scream for attention. (1,595 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5%

This beer pours a light golden color with a thick white head whick leaves a thick layer of lace as the beverage is consumed.

It smells a bit spicy. Nothing crazy, very representative of the style.

The taste is wonderful: dry and hoppy with a light earthiness.

The beer has a medium body. It is a bit creamy and just what I want in a Saison.

The drinkability of this brew is incredible. It is so smooth and wonderful you could drink it all night, but at over 7% abv, you'd regret it in the morning, I suppose. (521 characters)

Ommegang Hennepin is my taste of the saison style. I quite enjoyed it as I continue to explore the various Belgian styles.

A: Pale straw colored and hazy. Nice white head that disapates quickly. Little or no lacing.

S: Smells mild. No hops or floral of any kind. Sweet malts and sour yeast are present.

T: Follows smell. Malts and yeast are the predominant tastes. Little to no bitterness. Alcohol finishes slightly warming.

M&D: Medium body and clean mouthfeel. Very drinkable. (490 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A two finger white fluffy head emerges and fades reluctantly to a thin layer. Lacing is very apparent.

The aroma is peppery, some fresh banana, and a bit of medicinal alcohol in the background.

The foremost taste for me is that of cloves and bananas. A bit sour and a slight, but pleasant hoppy presence. Finishes rather dry with a bitter lemon-like aftertaste.

Quite highly carbonated and light bodied in the mouth, pleasant however.

This is my first time experiencing both this beer and this style. I found it to be highly drinkable and look forward to drinking this and other saisons in the future. (670 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I decided I needed to bust out my bottle of Hennepin from the cellar on a 100 degree summer day in Mpls. Good old mr. summer is getting me all hot and bothered for some Saison thirst quenching action so I decided to dip deep into my cellar and found this Hennepin that I've been hoarding for about 6 months.

Undid the wire cage on the bottle and the cork popped out with out me even touching it so I thought I had a bomb...but no...it poured crystal clear yellowish orange with a one finger rocky head. I made sure not to get the sediment in there but I wasn't too worried.

The smell is very strong and I can't put my finger on exactly what's going on. Definitely some citrus...maybe some apricot and some spices. Not sure if the spice aroma is all yeast or if they use actual spices as well but it is a beautiful bouquet. Maybe some bubblegum and clove in there somewhere.

Taste is a bit malty and really fruity like apricots or something like that, a little pear action as well. Really tasty and as you breath in it all just works so good together.

Mouthfeel is right on for a Saison which is on the thin side typically and dry in the finish. This yeast have clearly been coaxed by the brewer to eat as many sugars as possible! This one definitely finish's dry but also makes your mouth water bringing you in for another sip. Carbonation is on the high end which is perfect.

Overall- I can't think of a better example of the style. It's like reading the style guidelines for a Saison word for word. If I was stuck on an island and could only choose one beer for the rest of my life...it might be this one. The yeast flavors don't really hit Saison head on for me...and I think they might dry it out with the sugar rather then a traditional Saison yeast...but it just all works so damn good together. (1,811 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very light golden yellow with a significant amount of carbonation, like champagne but a little more yellow. Very full bubbly head, could not pour the full bottle into my pint glass.

Smell: Having a hard time articulating the smell. Bit peppery/spicy I suppose. Bottle says coriander but I'm not sure I know what coriander smells like, this might be it.

Taste: Definitely tastes like a farmhouse saison. Slight bitterness and a lot of fragrant earthy spices.

Mouthfeel: Very light and pleasant, probably the best part of the beer. High carbonation lightens even further. Very smooth, not dry. The spices are very evident in the aftertaste.

Overall: I've only had a couple of these farmhouse saisons but I really enjoyed this. Just a bubbly tasty beer. (766 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a very likeable brew that pours a deep, hazy amber with an ever-so-thick head that stays for a LONG time and is accompanied by sticky, slow lacing. It smells of malt, slight hops and notes of grains. The taste is malty, with flavors of wheat, moderate hops and faint lemon. The mouthfeel is rich yet light and has just the right amount of carbonation. (359 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

I found this beer about 5-6 weeks ago at a local store and finally got around to try it.

A - pours clean into a pub glass and leaves almost 2" head. Unfortunately it disappears rather soon. You can see the great carbonation in the glass. Typical lighter color and not completely clear (not that I expected it to be)

S - Great smell of an awesome beer went immediately through the kitchen as soon as I had poured it into the glass.

T - Crisp, refreshing...perfect for a hot summer day.
M - Crisp and refreshing, carbonation goes great with this light beer. No malt/hop overtone

D - Goes down very smooth. What? Glass is already empty? This is a great session beer for sure (675 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours light yellow with some cloudyness, huge head, couldnt pour the whole bottle into the glass. Head is pure white. Smells citrusy, floural and grassy. Tastes great! yeasty, wheat, malt with a little sour, bitter and citrus. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. Cant really taste the 7.7 abv. Delicious! I will be drinking this again and again and again. (350 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

This has been my favorite beer for the last 4-5 years, so of course I have a high opinion of it. The most striking thing is the carbonation and head. It actually looks like someone is pumping bubbles into each glass, it is so lively. It is light in color, but cloudy. Once you get beyond the look the taste is exceptional and it is truly an outstanding drinkable beer.

I prefer heavier darker beers in winter and lighter during the warmer months, but I enjoy Hennepin 12 months of the year. This beer is the benchmark from which I compare all beers. (553 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

It's pint night at Taco Mac! That means if you get a pint o' their beer o' the month, you get a piece of authentic glassware to add to your collection. What a wonderful idea!

Appearance: golden, cloudy, perfectly conditioned. A thin off-white lacing up the inside of the glass and over the rim tells me it had a good head on it when it was poured. The head reduced to a fine layer of thin bubbles which didn't go away until the beer got warmer and I had consumed most of it.

Smell: lightly spicy, a little citrusy... it was hard to tell with the smell of food in the air. Very enticing, though. I just had to take a sip...

Taste: flippin awesome. Citrusy hops, spicy goodness and yummy yeastiness (is that a word?). I had to go to Ommegang's site to see what they had put in there: gingersnap! Unbelievable.

Mouthfeel: crispy, sweet, a little lingering resin from the hops and an interesting "je ne se qua" from the yeast.

Drinkability: definitely drinkable. I want another, but next time I'm going for the bottle. Another magnificent brew from Cooperstown. (1,072 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

From a bomber or 750ml bottle (can't remember), this Saison poured a light yellow with enormous lacing. A fresh biscuity aroma hits the nose on this light yet potent saison. The typical Belg. flavor profile comes out with clove and banana - this reminds me less of a saison than of a basic ale. A decent drink, though I prefer some other saisons over this one. (360 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a rich golden color with a robust one and a half inch head with strong retention.

Smells of sweet honeysuckle, with a touch of yeastiness.

Taste has the same prominent characteristics of honey and a light malt, with a touch of sweetness. There's an ever so slight touch of hops on the back end to provide a bit of balance. Mouthfeel is medium with carbonation on the heavier side.

This beer is just right for the style; it's not too strong to take away from drinkability, but it's still very flavorful and complex. I could probably drink this all day without getting tired of it. (588 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Formed a good head with just a moderate pour. Head disappeared pretty quickly, leaving a thin collar.
Appearance is attractive with a light golden, slightly hazy look.
Complex nose. Spice, citrus and yeast.
I can't say that this style is my favorite beer, so I am always a little reticent about what I'm going to taste. However, this beer keeps the citrus and spice components very well balanced. Some sweetness on the front palate and some hoppiness on the finish. Gives the beer a crisp appeal. Good level of carbonation, surprising given how quickly the head dissipated. Again, this is well balanced and adds to this beers drinkability. I'm looking forward to drinking more of this beer and others from this producer. (768 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang