Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,095 | Hads: 5,638
4.39/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer pours a light golden color with a thick white head whick leaves a thick layer of lace as the beverage is consumed.

It smells a bit spicy. Nothing crazy, very representative of the style.

The taste is wonderful: dry and hoppy with a light earthiness.

The beer has a medium body. It is a bit creamy and just what I want in a Saison.

The drinkability of this brew is incredible. It is so smooth and wonderful you could drink it all night, but at over 7% abv, you'd regret it in the morning, I suppose.

Ommegang Hennepin is my taste of the saison style. I quite enjoyed it as I continue to explore the various Belgian styles.

A: Pale straw colored and hazy. Nice white head that disapates quickly. Little or no lacing.

S: Smells mild. No hops or floral of any kind. Sweet malts and sour yeast are present.

T: Follows smell. Malts and yeast are the predominant tastes. Little to no bitterness. Alcohol finishes slightly warming.

M&D: Medium body and clean mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I decided I needed to bust out my bottle of Hennepin from the cellar on a 100 degree summer day in Mpls. Good old mr. summer is getting me all hot and bothered for some Saison thirst quenching action so I decided to dip deep into my cellar and found this Hennepin that I've been hoarding for about 6 months.

Undid the wire cage on the bottle and the cork popped out with out me even touching it so I thought I had a bomb...but no...it poured crystal clear yellowish orange with a one finger rocky head. I made sure not to get the sediment in there but I wasn't too worried.

The smell is very strong and I can't put my finger on exactly what's going on. Definitely some citrus...maybe some apricot and some spices. Not sure if the spice aroma is all yeast or if they use actual spices as well but it is a beautiful bouquet. Maybe some bubblegum and clove in there somewhere.

Taste is a bit malty and really fruity like apricots or something like that, a little pear action as well. Really tasty and as you breath in it all just works so good together.

Mouthfeel is right on for a Saison which is on the thin side typically and dry in the finish. This yeast have clearly been coaxed by the brewer to eat as many sugars as possible! This one definitely finish's dry but also makes your mouth water bringing you in for another sip. Carbonation is on the high end which is perfect.

Overall- I can't think of a better example of the style. It's like reading the style guidelines for a Saison word for word. If I was stuck on an island and could only choose one beer for the rest of my life...it might be this one. The yeast flavors don't really hit Saison head on for me...and I think they might dry it out with the sugar rather then a traditional Saison yeast...but it just all works so damn good together.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Very light golden yellow with a significant amount of carbonation, like champagne but a little more yellow. Very full bubbly head, could not pour the full bottle into my pint glass.

Smell: Having a hard time articulating the smell. Bit peppery/spicy I suppose. Bottle says coriander but I'm not sure I know what coriander smells like, this might be it.

Taste: Definitely tastes like a farmhouse saison. Slight bitterness and a lot of fragrant earthy spices.

Mouthfeel: Very light and pleasant, probably the best part of the beer. High carbonation lightens even further. Very smooth, not dry. The spices are very evident in the aftertaste.

Overall: I've only had a couple of these farmhouse saisons but I really enjoyed this. Just a bubbly tasty beer.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: The body is gold and has a one-finger head which quickly recedes to a thin layer of white foam.

Smell: The nose offered notes of toned-down lemon juice. Expect no funky smell.

Taste: The palate matches the nose right off the glass like many North American Saisons. Then, it shifts quickly to notes of Belgian spices which are milder than those found in the back-end of a witbier. As a result of that, Hennepin is not aggressive on our tongue and is very drinkable.

Feel: Like any saison, be it from Belgium or North America, this beer is refreshing. Moreover, we do not feel a crispness that might blur the lines between a saison, a radler or a lemonade. This last detail is a plus.

Overall: This beer is a simple textbook North American saison. Although it is stylistically anonymous because of its simple notes of lemon on the front-end, its simplicity actually makes its charm. The only reservation I have with Hennepin as well as other North American saisons has to do with the head retention. Sure, the beer has a nice lacings, but it can't match other Belgian saisons, which mostly manage to keep a half-a-finger head during a tasting session. Despite this flaw, I would drink this very often during summer.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

This saison is a bit on the paler side than some, with a bit less orange in the hue than I initially expected. Head is a gorgeous lacy, rocky white. LOTS of carbonation. The effervescence complements the crisp, clean character of this ale very well.

Aroma is moderately hoppy, with a touch of spicy citrus.

Tastes of noble hops, with a moderate and pleasant bitterness, balanced well by a full maltiness. Slightly sweet in the finish. Very drinkable; I'd gladly enjoy two or three of these in a sitting, in spite of the ABV.

Overall, this is a very balanced and drinkable ale. Definitely one of my favorite American interpretations of a Belgian style, and I'd also say this is one of my favorite saisons -- regardless of origin. I recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable crisp, tasty pale ale with more character than the typical golden ale.

4.21/5  rDev +1%

This is a very likeable brew that pours a deep, hazy amber with an ever-so-thick head that stays for a LONG time and is accompanied by sticky, slow lacing. It smells of malt, slight hops and notes of grains. The taste is malty, with flavors of wheat, moderate hops and faint lemon. The mouthfeel is rich yet light and has just the right amount of carbonation.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

I found this beer about 5-6 weeks ago at a local store and finally got around to try it.

A - pours clean into a pub glass and leaves almost 2" head. Unfortunately it disappears rather soon. You can see the great carbonation in the glass. Typical lighter color and not completely clear (not that I expected it to be)

S - Great smell of an awesome beer went immediately through the kitchen as soon as I had poured it into the glass.

T - Crisp, refreshing...perfect for a hot summer day.
M - Crisp and refreshing, carbonation goes great with this light beer. No malt/hop overtone

D - Goes down very smooth. What? Glass is already empty? This is a great session beer for sure

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours light yellow with some cloudyness, huge head, couldnt pour the whole bottle into the glass. Head is pure white. Smells citrusy, floural and grassy. Tastes great! yeasty, wheat, malt with a little sour, bitter and citrus. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly. Cant really taste the 7.7 abv. Delicious! I will be drinking this again and again and again.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This has been my favorite beer for the last 4-5 years, so of course I have a high opinion of it. The most striking thing is the carbonation and head. It actually looks like someone is pumping bubbles into each glass, it is so lively. It is light in color, but cloudy. Once you get beyond the look the taste is exceptional and it is truly an outstanding drinkable beer.

I prefer heavier darker beers in winter and lighter during the warmer months, but I enjoy Hennepin 12 months of the year. This beer is the benchmark from which I compare all beers.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

It's pint night at Taco Mac! That means if you get a pint o' their beer o' the month, you get a piece of authentic glassware to add to your collection. What a wonderful idea!

Appearance: golden, cloudy, perfectly conditioned. A thin off-white lacing up the inside of the glass and over the rim tells me it had a good head on it when it was poured. The head reduced to a fine layer of thin bubbles which didn't go away until the beer got warmer and I had consumed most of it.

Smell: lightly spicy, a little citrusy... it was hard to tell with the smell of food in the air. Very enticing, though. I just had to take a sip...

Taste: flippin awesome. Citrusy hops, spicy goodness and yummy yeastiness (is that a word?). I had to go to Ommegang's site to see what they had put in there: gingersnap! Unbelievable.

Mouthfeel: crispy, sweet, a little lingering resin from the hops and an interesting "je ne se qua" from the yeast.

Drinkability: definitely drinkable. I want another, but next time I'm going for the bottle. Another magnificent brew from Cooperstown.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

From a bomber or 750ml bottle (can't remember), this Saison poured a light yellow with enormous lacing. A fresh biscuity aroma hits the nose on this light yet potent saison. The typical Belg. flavor profile comes out with clove and banana - this reminds me less of a saison than of a basic ale. A decent drink, though I prefer some other saisons over this one.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a rich golden color with a robust one and a half inch head with strong retention.

Smells of sweet honeysuckle, with a touch of yeastiness.

Taste has the same prominent characteristics of honey and a light malt, with a touch of sweetness. There's an ever so slight touch of hops on the back end to provide a bit of balance. Mouthfeel is medium with carbonation on the heavier side.

This beer is just right for the style; it's not too strong to take away from drinkability, but it's still very flavorful and complex. I could probably drink this all day without getting tired of it.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Formed a good head with just a moderate pour. Head disappeared pretty quickly, leaving a thin collar.
Appearance is attractive with a light golden, slightly hazy look.
Complex nose. Spice, citrus and yeast.
I can't say that this style is my favorite beer, so I am always a little reticent about what I'm going to taste. However, this beer keeps the citrus and spice components very well balanced. Some sweetness on the front palate and some hoppiness on the finish. Gives the beer a crisp appeal. Good level of carbonation, surprising given how quickly the head dissipated. Again, this is well balanced and adds to this beers drinkability. I'm looking forward to drinking more of this beer and others from this producer.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

I had to grab this when I saw it at Sparrow's in Hoboken, having had a taste at the South Street Seaport during Beerfest in September. Comes in a very hefty, corked bottle. Beautiful presentation.

I don't have a goblet, so I used a tulip glass. (Heretical, I know.) Big massive head on this one, cloudy appearance, reminiscent of a witbier. I could see the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

Smells fabulous -- citrus, spice, a little bit of hops. Even my wife, who generally dislikes beer, remarked on how good it smelled.

Taste...wow. Some ginger, coriander, citrus, some hops, all at play, but it isn't overwhelming...very subtle and fun. It's very light, decent carbonation, feels great in the mouth. Goes down very lightly. The taste changes as the beer warms. It's very complex, yet very drinkable.

Drinking Hennepin made me want to have a beer tasting party. Maybe some Asian-fusion-barbeque. Yeah. And it was only $4.95 at Sparrow's, FYI. Great deal. I'll be back next weekend for another couple bottles.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I really like the way this beer pours out of the glass. RIght away I can tell it is very carbonated from the hiss as I pour it. I tried to leave as much sediment in the bottom but the beer comes out sort of hazy. A huge foamy head arises and retains for quite some time leaving interesting shapes as it dissipates. Initially this beer gives off a skunky-lager type aroma and some citrus and somewhat sweet. The taste is very different. Clove, spices, and fruity esters shine through. The mouthfeel is extremely crisp and reminiscent of champagne.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a moderately cloudy golden color with a lively white head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smells sour and spicy, very true to French and Belgian saisons. Hoppy, bright, earthy, and crisp. Tart Belgian yeasts, fantastic palate of spice and hops. Deliciously light and dry mouthfeel. This beer is excellent for it's taste, drinkability, and value. A real winner for American beers.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hennepin is honey-colored, with a sizable creamy white head. It has a cloudy appearance in the glass, but it's not so cloudy so as to obscure the steady stream of bubbles rising toward the head. The nose, one of my all-time favorites, presents strewn hay, citrus (pineapple) and a faint mustiness that seems appropriate for a farmhouse/Saison ale. At first the flavor is sweet, with a slightly tangy sidenote, but mid-palate the sweetness is balanced nicely by a noticeable, peppery hop presence. Just a hint of banana shows up for the finish.

This is a hoppy beer, as the label suggests ("pale, hoppy, crisp and rustic"), but it is by no means strongly or assertively hoppy. The complex flavors balance nicely. And a crisp mouthfeel makes this a refreshing brew, especially after a day working (or relaxing!) in the spring sun.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Cloudy golden yellow with a foamy head that pours with the deadly ability to climb with vigor right out of your glass and onto the table. (which happened to me) The bouquet reveals musty fruit with a bit of spice and a slight alcohol presence. The taste is strong at first with a bit of the alcohol up front and a yeasty spiciness which rounds out to reveal a strong fruit presence and some slight hop bitterness that surfaces towards the end. Intense fruit flavors ride out throuh the very long and smooth finish enticing another swill. Well structured with good complexity, very well balanced, and dangerously drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Not too shabby. This is a dary cloudy beer with all sorts of crazy flavors. I, like many others am exercising my right as a Georgian to buy beer > 6.0% alcohol this week. Hennepin was one of the first.

This beer definitely has some kick to it, but it rewards with a very mellow, almost banana like aftertaste. Very yummy. Unlike other high alcohol brews, this one goes down smooth. If you can find this gem available in your area, I'd suggest that you try it.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized tumbler - closest I could get to a snifter.

Appearance: Poured golden with a beautiful, one-inch head that dissipated very slowly, there was still a thin layer of foam at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Spicy and fruity.

Taste and mouthfeel: Spicy hop bitterness mixed in with sweet, fruity flavors; I got Granny Smith apple and green grape. A late burst of alcohol provides for a warming finish. There was an earthy quality to the whole thing. Mouthfeel was slick, especially as the beer warmed, yet remained refreshing.

Drinkability: If the alcohol burst doesn't bother you - and it didn't bother me - it's quite drinkable. Great sipper.

Notes: My first saison, and I think I'm gonna really like this style. I'd love to try this brew with a selection of cheeses.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle poured into tulip:

A: I admittedly poured this too aggressively tonight, so the head grew out of control, but lasat night I got a beautiful 1-1/2 inch head of fluffy white foam that settles slowly and leaves a lot of sticky lace. Hazy, golden wheat color. Lovely.

S: Banana, clove, and orange peel dominate a subtle, balanced nose. Very bright.

T: tastes like the brightness of the nose suggests, but in a much bolder way: lots of lemon and orange (both fruit and peel), maybe a little bit of banana, and some clove and coriander to round it out. The sweet and tart aspects of this saison are out there far more than in, say, Saison Dupont (which is the gold standard, in my opinion), which sets this nicely apart. There's something like champagne grapes in here, too...

M: effervescent and cleansing throughout, very smooth.

I love this beer. Great with spicy food, and highly drinkable. This is my favorite Ommegang brew, next to Three Philosophers.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a hard beer for me to judge as this is probably the only saison I have had, but is it delicious or what! I think the only reason I haven't tried them is because of the price tag of some of these french/belgian farmhouse beers.

A- Light golden color with a big frothy head that stays the entire drink.

S- Smell is yeasty, with dry fruit and caramel malt in the background

T- Yeasty to start, then the malt kicks in with a nice caramel flavor, some hops add a spicy sting, then it finishes with a dry yeasty flavor and heat from the alcohol

M- This is a lighter bodied beer than other similar high gravity brews. High carbonation as well, but there also is a certain hardness to it, this must be from the carbonates or other minerals in the water.

D- This is a delicious brew and the light body gives it the drinkability that makes A-B blush. With the high alcohol content I am happy I can only afford this once in a while.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is fantastic. Somewhat hazy yet golden appearance. A sweet, and slightly hop smell with a little malt maybe.

The taste is very fruity, yet malty at the same time. You can definitely taste the "Brett" influence. I didn't notice much hop flavor. I would say more lemonade like than anything. As you let it warm up, the flavor changes quite a bit. More yeasty and full.

If your a fan of Saisons I would definitely put it on a "to drink" list.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a light,golden yellow. A little hazy but not cloudy. Large, foamy white head four fingers tall which dissipates very slowly to the rim leaving lace that sticks very nicely. Tight head. Lots of bubbles. Highly carbonated. A pretty good looking beer when poured in the proper glassware. I used a Duvel tulip glass.

Light hoppiness in the aroma. Peppery. Sour overtones, some horseblanket which is typical of the farmhouse ales.

Flavor is tart/sour but only lightly. Not overpowering at all.This beer has a clean, crisp feeling to it in the beginning before it trails off leaving a dry,slightly bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable especially on a warm summer day.

Malts used have a toasty/buiscuty flavor which shows up in the middle. Balance between the malts and hops are good. Classic belgian yeast characteristics. At the very end you have a mild alcohol warmth that helps comfort you.

Two 12oz bottles with your BBQ makes for a relaxing time.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang