Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

So this is the much vaulted Saison -- I don't hate it. I specify that because in the past I have found spiced beers unpalatable, and I had been specifically avoiding this style for that reason. Evidently, when spices are placed the in hands of a master brewer, they don't suck.
This beer pours like Dreadnaught, a hazy straw colour with a generous head. It smells, like a beer. By that I mean, it smells similar to a variety of continental pils, a pleasant smell indeed.
The taste follows the smell. It is simple and subtle. It actually reminds me of a Grolsch; however there is an ethereal taste, something I can't place my finger on. Similar to bubblegum, actually. That's good.
Ohhh, as it warms some more flavours come out. It loses the Grolsch quality and grains a granular flavour. Not bad. Is that corriander? Not sure. I'm not one to pick out spices. But, yeah, this is a good beer.

Oh wow. 7.7% is what it says on the bottle. Well hidden, well hidden indeed.

Makes me actually want to try other Saison-style beers. Maybe Belgium makes something worth consuming other than french fries. . .

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Found Hennepin on draft at a Winking Lizard in Columbus and I couldn't pass it up. I always like to try Belgian and Belgian-style beers I've had in the bottle on draft to compare the flavors. Typically, I find these beers to be rounder (more balanced) and not as complex and flavorful as their bottled counterparts. This particular glass of Hennepin on draft was typical in that regard. I missed some of the rustic character of the brew on draft, but instead was left with a sweeter, less dry wheaty tasting ale, that was nonetheless quite refreshing. This beer was not as visually appeailing as the bottled version and lacked the mousse-like head of its bottled counterpart, although the aroma was still fairly bright with notes of vanilla. A white pepper spicines tended to come out a little more as the beer warmed up. The mouthfeel was very soft, with a little bit more of a bitter finish coming out as the beer warmed up. Perhaps served too cold. This was exceptionally drinkable at the right temperature.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Got a 4 pack at Specs in Round Rock for around 10 bucks.

Poured a cloudy, honey-straw colored gold in my New Belgium goblet...a huge billowy head, great lacing throughout...a very attractive looking beer.

Belgian esters, pepper, lemon...nice crisp scent.
The same Belgian yeast flavors with a tart lemon finish...a bit of bread, caramel, and hops as well...wow...nice combo!

Medium body with generous carbonation...a ton of bubbles in this one...super easy to drink.

Gotta say, this is a pretty damn good beer. A nice change of pace from my typical staple of IPAs and Imp Stouts.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance- Very pale color mostly transparent color. Not much head retention. I'm inclined to think that a beer needs head retention to have the strong aroma that I like but this one defies that rule of thumb. Great aroma and taste from this one that almost looks like your typical garbage BMC.

Smell- At first it I got your typical banana, grass, and funk. As I got a bit further into it I noticed the it wasn'treally banana but some other fruits.

Taste- For the most part follows the nose. Opens up into a nice range of fruits. Lemon, apple, and pear. Nice hop crispness, hay, coriander spice, and funk. Really complex beer for a lighter style.

Mouthfeel- medium light bodied. Enough body to enjoy the range of flavor and just enough hop sharpness to keep it crisp.

Overall- Well done ommegang! This is a must try beer. This will be one of the beers where you have to ask yourself why you hadn't had it before. I wish I could give it a perfect score but I just can't bring myself to do it. The knock on appearance is due to previous standards on what usually makes a good beer. The sharp mouthfeel is most likely necessary to open up the depth in this beer but keeps it from being the beer you can drink all day.

Edit: I've had this beer again many times with a good amount of head. I think there was soapy residue in the glass when I did the review

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle from ABC Fine Wines & Liquors in Daytona Beach, FL. Review from notes taken at the time of tasting.

A: cloudy yellow-orange with a golden/amber tinge, two fingers of bubbly white froth, and globs of lacing on the shaker (wrong glassware, I know).
S & T: yeasty and nutty aromas, strong citrus and lemon flavours, fruity tanginess, a little sour. This lacks the brett elements of a traditional saison, but it's a delicious beer nonetheless.
M: huge peppery spiciness in the body, super tart and dry finish. Packs an impressive, refreshing bite. Very good.
D: goes down like a glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. This drinks way too easy for a 7.7% brew. Maybe it's the 30+ degree weather in Daytona? Either way, Hennepin is a satisfying Belgian-style ale. Worth a shot.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Let me let you in on a little secret. I followed up a recommendation from Garret Oliver's "Brewmaster's Table." This beer is an absolutely incredible match for Humboldt Fog cheese, which is an aged goat cheese. Together, they are better than the sum of their parts. I'm trying to be objective with my ratings, trying to rate the beer as it stands on its own. But if I was rating my experience with this cheese and beer together, you would see a 5 for taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability.

As it is this is a great beer. Poured with a nice head. Malty sweet with nice Belgian esters. Mouthfeel is very good. Very good carbonation levels.

Again, I highly recommend that food pairing.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

My first chance to grab a beer from this hyped brewery and it does not disappoint. Pours a perfect gold with a big puffy head, very carbonated beer. Aromas are passion fruit, pears and some berries, strawberry with a nice non-overpowering alcohol smell in there. Taste is great, the same fruits, some pineapple. Very smooth, somewhat dry and earthy, which must be the hops showing through. Saisons are a great beer, and to find a state-side brewery that does it this well is quite a treat. Go get some now!

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A- cloudy pale gold color with a frothy two finger whte head and excellent retent on that, some thin lacing

S- floral, biscuit, toasty, sweet

T- malt sweetness hits first, then comes spicy, hoopy, and earthy flavors, tangy citrus in there as well. Tart finish and aftertaste

M- light bodied and smooth, carbonation tickles

D- sessionable and delightful, highly refreshing and drinkable. alcohol not noticeable. loving this brew and this style

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang