Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 5,681
4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a moderately cloudy golden color with a lively white head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smells sour and spicy, very true to French and Belgian saisons. Hoppy, bright, earthy, and crisp. Tart Belgian yeasts, fantastic palate of spice and hops. Deliciously light and dry mouthfeel. This beer is excellent for it's taste, drinkability, and value. A real winner for American beers.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hennepin is honey-colored, with a sizable creamy white head. It has a cloudy appearance in the glass, but it's not so cloudy so as to obscure the steady stream of bubbles rising toward the head. The nose, one of my all-time favorites, presents strewn hay, citrus (pineapple) and a faint mustiness that seems appropriate for a farmhouse/Saison ale. At first the flavor is sweet, with a slightly tangy sidenote, but mid-palate the sweetness is balanced nicely by a noticeable, peppery hop presence. Just a hint of banana shows up for the finish.

This is a hoppy beer, as the label suggests ("pale, hoppy, crisp and rustic"), but it is by no means strongly or assertively hoppy. The complex flavors balance nicely. And a crisp mouthfeel makes this a refreshing brew, especially after a day working (or relaxing!) in the spring sun.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Cloudy golden yellow with a foamy head that pours with the deadly ability to climb with vigor right out of your glass and onto the table. (which happened to me) The bouquet reveals musty fruit with a bit of spice and a slight alcohol presence. The taste is strong at first with a bit of the alcohol up front and a yeasty spiciness which rounds out to reveal a strong fruit presence and some slight hop bitterness that surfaces towards the end. Intense fruit flavors ride out throuh the very long and smooth finish enticing another swill. Well structured with good complexity, very well balanced, and dangerously drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Not too shabby. This is a dary cloudy beer with all sorts of crazy flavors. I, like many others am exercising my right as a Georgian to buy beer > 6.0% alcohol this week. Hennepin was one of the first.

This beer definitely has some kick to it, but it rewards with a very mellow, almost banana like aftertaste. Very yummy. Unlike other high alcohol brews, this one goes down smooth. If you can find this gem available in your area, I'd suggest that you try it.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an oversized tumbler - closest I could get to a snifter.

Appearance: Poured golden with a beautiful, one-inch head that dissipated very slowly, there was still a thin layer of foam at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Spicy and fruity.

Taste and mouthfeel: Spicy hop bitterness mixed in with sweet, fruity flavors; I got Granny Smith apple and green grape. A late burst of alcohol provides for a warming finish. There was an earthy quality to the whole thing. Mouthfeel was slick, especially as the beer warmed, yet remained refreshing.

Drinkability: If the alcohol burst doesn't bother you - and it didn't bother me - it's quite drinkable. Great sipper.

Notes: My first saison, and I think I'm gonna really like this style. I'd love to try this brew with a selection of cheeses.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle poured into tulip:

A: I admittedly poured this too aggressively tonight, so the head grew out of control, but lasat night I got a beautiful 1-1/2 inch head of fluffy white foam that settles slowly and leaves a lot of sticky lace. Hazy, golden wheat color. Lovely.

S: Banana, clove, and orange peel dominate a subtle, balanced nose. Very bright.

T: tastes like the brightness of the nose suggests, but in a much bolder way: lots of lemon and orange (both fruit and peel), maybe a little bit of banana, and some clove and coriander to round it out. The sweet and tart aspects of this saison are out there far more than in, say, Saison Dupont (which is the gold standard, in my opinion), which sets this nicely apart. There's something like champagne grapes in here, too...

M: effervescent and cleansing throughout, very smooth.

I love this beer. Great with spicy food, and highly drinkable. This is my favorite Ommegang brew, next to Three Philosophers.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a hard beer for me to judge as this is probably the only saison I have had, but is it delicious or what! I think the only reason I haven't tried them is because of the price tag of some of these french/belgian farmhouse beers.

A- Light golden color with a big frothy head that stays the entire drink.

S- Smell is yeasty, with dry fruit and caramel malt in the background

T- Yeasty to start, then the malt kicks in with a nice caramel flavor, some hops add a spicy sting, then it finishes with a dry yeasty flavor and heat from the alcohol

M- This is a lighter bodied beer than other similar high gravity brews. High carbonation as well, but there also is a certain hardness to it, this must be from the carbonates or other minerals in the water.

D- This is a delicious brew and the light body gives it the drinkability that makes A-B blush. With the high alcohol content I am happy I can only afford this once in a while.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is fantastic. Somewhat hazy yet golden appearance. A sweet, and slightly hop smell with a little malt maybe.

The taste is very fruity, yet malty at the same time. You can definitely taste the "Brett" influence. I didn't notice much hop flavor. I would say more lemonade like than anything. As you let it warm up, the flavor changes quite a bit. More yeasty and full.

If your a fan of Saisons I would definitely put it on a "to drink" list.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a light,golden yellow. A little hazy but not cloudy. Large, foamy white head four fingers tall which dissipates very slowly to the rim leaving lace that sticks very nicely. Tight head. Lots of bubbles. Highly carbonated. A pretty good looking beer when poured in the proper glassware. I used a Duvel tulip glass.

Light hoppiness in the aroma. Peppery. Sour overtones, some horseblanket which is typical of the farmhouse ales.

Flavor is tart/sour but only lightly. Not overpowering at all.This beer has a clean, crisp feeling to it in the beginning before it trails off leaving a dry,slightly bitter aftertaste. Very drinkable especially on a warm summer day.

Malts used have a toasty/buiscuty flavor which shows up in the middle. Balance between the malts and hops are good. Classic belgian yeast characteristics. At the very end you have a mild alcohol warmth that helps comfort you.

Two 12oz bottles with your BBQ makes for a relaxing time.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a wide mouth wine glass.

A: Poured a slightly hazy golden color, with a solid white head that fades to a lace that lingers on the top right to the bottom.

S: A nice, crisp smelling malt note, with the typical Belgian-style yeast profile, a bit fruity and spicy. Nothing really surprising here, but that's okay.

T: Bright, crisp malts blended with a fruity, yeasty notes, and a slightly sour finish. The alcohol is nicely obscured in this one. Really an excellent beer flavor wise.

M: Typically thin mouthfeel, but that's fine. Carbonation is significant, with a constant stream of small bubbles rising to the top from the beginning of the glass to the end.

D: I could certainly drink the entire bottle. This is an excellent beer.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

A - pours a nice pale golden color with a little haze and a huge rocky head.

S - spicy phenolic cloves, a little metallic, slightly musty, but not a big horse blanket presence I expected.

T - well, doesn't really taste like a saison. How is this ranked higher than dupont? Don't get me wrong, it tastes good - a lot of clove, a nice portion of malt. Tastes extremely similar to Duvel. Where is the funkiness thought? If this was classified as a SBGA then I probably would have given it a 4.5 for taste, but I don't think this is very true to style.

M - really nice carbonation with a little syrupy character to it.

O - I am pretty disappointed by this one. It just played it too safe with the funk. Maybe the bottle was a bit older, and the flavors settled a little?

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

This was truly an enjoyable experience, and to top it off this is something that I can get in my area for $8.75 for a 4 pk.
The nice orangy color and nice thick white head were promising and the smell was nice an yeasty like you would expect from a belgian brew, and then the taste was very smooth at first and then moves to a well rounded sweetness that can only be described as mana from the beer gods. This was very drinkable and I really enjoyed hanging onto the lovely aftertaste of this brew. One of my new favorites.

4.17/5  rDev 0%

Had this on draft, served in an official Hennepin goblet. The appearance is good, light in color, with a nice head. The small is a potent whiff of alcohol and other grainy ingredients beyond my humble experience to describe. The beer tastes like numerous Belgians I used to drink back in the day, quite impressive for a domestic beer. I had one, but one of my friends was on his 4th one when I showed up, and didn't look any worse for wear, so it's pretty drinkable in spite of its elevated alcohol. A very nice drink of beer that takes you overseas.

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

poured from a BIG bottle with a cork.

Looks- has a nice big frothy head. Beer is a golden straw color.

smell- flowery, citric, earthy, maybe bananas? Reminds me of a weiss beer

taste- slight hop bitterness, fruitiness for at first, followed up by a touch of malt sweetness and cloves? Very dry finish tinged with a touch of "heat", some biscuity dryness present also. Medium bodied.

drinkability- very drinkable and enjoyable. goes down too smoothly for a 7.7% (but that's good!) very good and easy to enjoy. Give it a try!

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a beautiful hazy orange color with a beautiful off white head. Scent is all yeasty bread and citrus with the taste following closely to the scent. The mouthfeel is bubbly like good champagne and tingles the tongue. This is a good Saison. I would have liked a bit more humph in the overall taste but good nonetheless.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Bright yellow with a faint haze and some floaties. Maybe a hint of amber. Thick, frothy white head. Smells earthy, spicy (cloves), and somewhat medicinal. Hints of alcohol. Taste has some light sweetness upfront, more earthiness and spiciness, and a phenolic character. Light, herbal hops on the back end. Finishes incredibly dry, with some faint lingering hops. Mouthfeel is medium and a bit soapy. Huge, prickly carbonation. Very drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Excellent golden color with just a tint of amber, thick head , nice a creamy looking, almost invencable in this tulip glass.

Big aroma, reaches up from the table to you. Very fruity with a strong spicy hop pressence. Sweet malt in back, a bit more then typical for the style. Not as spicy and complex as many, but still big and inviting.

Flavor is malt and fruit at first, but quickly fades into a very dry, spicy, and alcoholic finish. High carbonation dries it out even more. Has a stong citrus rind character with complexity of bannanas and pepper. Almost a berry seed character, interesting. Lots of spicy hop character adds to the overal spicy finish. Pretty bitter for the style, maybe a litle more then I prefer. . The spice comes through in the middle with a hell of a lot of complexity, almost like fresh herb. A lot of pine notes wich is very intersting. After taste is dominated by alcohol, almost grain alcohol like without the complex fruit and spice notess. This higher alcohol character is a big turn off. Also seems a bit tannic, almost oak like in finish. No sourness are tartness, which is fine, but is really a character that I think works well for this style in beers like Pipax and Fantome.

All in all this is a decent beer, with a lot going on, but is not one of the best saisons out there. The finish is disapointing and loses a lot of the complexity. Aroma is great, and appearance is perfect, but just dosnt come all together like some. If you like this try the Fantome Automn, it has the same smoth malt bas and spicy complexity, but just works better and all blends. Dupont, Pipax, Fantome, Pizza Port...all much better.

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a english style pint glass(yes I realize a chalice or goblet would be better, but I'd rather spend my limited funds on beer and homebrewing supplies than fancy glassware)

Appearance: Golden/straw with a hint of copper. A slow, tilted pour produced about an inch of head which lingered, at least in part until finished.

Smell: I don't have the best smeller in the world, so its hard to say. I noted sweet fruit and yeast smells. Undertones which betray its relatively high ABV.

Taste: This may be blasphemy, but about all I can say is it tasted like a belgian. Most beer geeks, I think, will know what I mean. Mild hops behind a distinct sweetness. Ample carbonation influencing the favor, and that distinct, fruit like yet hard to describe belgian yeast charcter. This beer is saison, but to me you could put it next to a Belgian pale and I (at least) wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Which doesn't necessarly mean that you wouldn't be able to. However, I very much enjoy belgian brews, hence the high marks.

Mouthfeel: High marks here. more viscous than I expected for a beer this light in color, with a pleasant bubblyness as it rolls down your tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Mine went down about as quick as a good lager. The sweetness might be too much after a few, but by then, the 7.5 ABV should be slowing you down anyway (or perhaps barking at the moon)

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

From a 25 oz. brown bottle, part of a Ommegang 10 year anniversary package...

A: Cork pops like a bottle of champagne. Even my mild pour creates a huge head. Bubbly, frothy, rocky, a metamorphizing off-white head. Cloudy golden-white body. Lots of carbonation- a very active beer. Splotchy lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Banana and clove predominately, kind of like a hefeweizen, but with a grainy and grassiness to the aroma as well. Nice clean malt flavor. A deep whiff also gives a slight alcohol smell.

T: Crisp, ever-so-slight maltiness. Predominant flavors of bananas, honey, hint of cloves and other spices that I can't put my finger on. Hint of citric lemon-orange behavior. Really clever grassy, hay-like character that feels like a harmony between the malt and hops. Slight tartness towards the middle/end really brings things together. Lasting banana, smooth malt, and dry fruit flavors sit on the palate after swallowing.

This beer is so complex, I'm pretty sure I didn't even mention half the flavors that were apparant. I could study this for hours.

MF: Well-carbonated, light to medium body, just enough crispness not to overwhelm, but to really enhance the flavors.

D: At 7.5% ABV, not sessionable, but like I said, this is a very complex and enjoyable beer. Simple if you drink it fast, but if you really slow down and enjoy it, a lot of those nuances will come out. A great beer to enjoy outside with nature during the summer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle has instructions for pouring and blurb about history of this beer. Pours a golden orange with 2"+ head that is pure white. Great lacing the whole way through. Smells fruity and yeasty but makes me think "clean".

Tart and alcohol esters were the first impression with some mild earthiness. Clove stands out to me (maybe cuz of all the hefes lately) Ends a slight band-aid dry. As it warms the alcohol comes through a bit more, but nothing overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp and ends with a twangy bite.

I was a bit afraid of this one as I don't drink much that has a higher ABV, but my fears were unfounded. Though I could sense the alcohol as this warmed up it never became the main attraction. The flavor was way too complex for my little mouth, but I'm smart enough to know I liked this alot and will be coming back for more, and more, and then probably some more. My interest in this style is definitely stronger.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

From the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in Raleigh, NC. Poured into an ommegang goblet.

One finger of creamy-white head tops this 18k golden colored beer. The head goes on and on, while medium carbonation sends bubbles through this brew.

Smells of malt and spices. Very faint alcohol scent. Very balanced bouquet urges me to drink. Drink!

The first taste that hits my mouth is cloves, which I don't normally consider pleasant, but other spices (specifically coriander, I believe...) Balance this out. Faint citrus and a slight peppermint taste round thid beer out.

A crisp refreshing mouthfeel is supplemented by lots of carbonation in the mouth. An almost cleansing feel.

I normally don't prefer this type of beer (it was misrepresented on the menu), but I would recommend it to anyone who likes a farmhouse brew. Nice, very nice.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

A: golden with a beautiful head that lingered...i still had some left by the time i had gotten to the bottom

S: yeast, bananas, cloves

T: spicy, citrusy, and sour, it reps the saison style very well

M: carbonation with a sharp finish

D: this beer is delicious...ommegang does belgian beer as well as any american brewery

forgot that duvel owns them now...but i wont hold it against them!

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured in to the Ommegang proprietary glass.

A: Pours a nice light gold color with a thick head that sticks around. If you hold it up to the light it looks like an underwater shot of an ice pack. Nice release of carbonation while you admire the beer.

S: Smells yeasty with a hint of either citrus or pine maybe both.

T: There's so much to taste here. I can taste a muted hops combined with that yeasty taste. I don't taste the spice I kind of just feel it on my tongue. As it warms I can taste a fruity flavor.

M: I love how it sits on my tongue. Smooth but with an occasional bite.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. 1/2" fluffy head on top of a cloudy golden ale. Lacing sticks to the glass quite well, and a small head retains throughout. Looks a lot like a witbier, maybe a touch darker.

First smell was a bit offputting, and with that I mean it almost smelled musty, or even like some cheap beer that I wish to forget. Subsequent smells reveal more. Yeast and citrus? Bubblegum? I'm not the best with recognizing smells in beer aroma. I was almost offended at first, and worried I wasn't going to like this, but then...

Great flavor in this, much better than the initial smell. Fruitiness, citrus, bubblegum, it's a sweet beer up front. Wow. This is the first beer of this style I've ever had, and if this is what I can expect from the style, I'm certainly a fan. It's similar to a witbier, without the spice notes. Somewhat dry on the finish, but not bitter, not hoppy. Just a great, highly drinkable beer. I'll be buying this again, no doubt.

Mouthfeel is similar to a witbier. I keep going back to that, but it's my best point of reference. Pretty much perfect drinkability. I would say this could easily be a session beer.

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%

Damn this is a good beer. Such a smooth light taste, but that Belgian strength and sweetness is still lingering there. A top quality beer for an unbelievable price.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang