2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Reviews: 2000

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,392 | Reviews: 2,000 | Show All Ratings:
toastdog

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

poured from cork and cage bottle into Ommegang tulip glass

Appearance: Two fingers of compact white head perch on top of a slightly hazy pale golden beer that tends to straw in strong light. Head dissipates reluctantly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma - lilac, clove, pepper, apricot, earth and hop spice all appear at different points in your progress through the glass. Also an occasional whiff of... yes... gasoline, or a sweetness in the nose that reminds one of gasoline. Which is waaay better than it sounds.

Taste - more lilac, spicy hops, marshmallow, malt, apricot and freshly turned earth all underpin a lightly sweet pale malt flavor profile. There's a refreshing dry graininess that recalls a nice Pilsener or Dortmunder which balances out the sweetness and the riot of subtle flavors that present themselves in various combinations as you drink. Highly carbonated, which brings some Champagne-like dry notes to the party.

Mouthfeel - This beer is slightly viscous - a too-warm bottle will be a little cloying and tongue-coating, but at 50-55 degrees it's great. It is possible to wear yourself out on this beer if you let it sit and warm to 70 degrees F.

Drinkability - A compulsively sippable beer, but not exactly sessionable. I want to *quaff* a Czech pils... I want to *consider* a Hennepin carefully, preferably alone and with a nice sourdough and aged cheese. I'm such a fop.

Other stuff: A soft smack of aroma hits the nose as you raise the glass, sometimes pepper, sometimes clove and malt, sometimes lilac, which is something I have never found in any other beer. The flavor changes too as you sip, sometimes earthy and sometimes sweet, while the heavy carbonation scrubs your tongue and brings more aromas through the back of your throat. After swallowing, the aroma stays and stays on the nose while the aftertaste lingers and changes on the tongue, as malt fades into hop bitterness and then a long finish of peppery spice and floral hops. When you get a well-handled bottle, this beer is a real treat.

Absolutely one of my favorite Saisons, and one of my all-time favorites of any style.

01-05-2008 23:22:02 | More by toastdog
pdxwhisky

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours golden into glass. Nice head, good retention. Nice yeasty esthers on the nose. Taste is marred by high alcohol content - not very balanced. Good carbonation - fit for style. Overall drinkability flawed by lingering alcohol flavor on finish. Not bad - but not balanced enough to be great.

02-12-2009 00:24:00 | More by pdxwhisky
jss79

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - dark golden and hazy in color. The head was
Smell - initial sweet fruit mixed with yeast aroma that gave way to subtle hints its of floral hops.
Taste - medium intensity with a sweet finish. Carbonation remained consistent throughout drinking. It ended with a drying mouth feel.

03-01-2011 02:34:28 | More by jss79
Bmuncy

West Virginia

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Apearance: Cloudy and dim, this banana yellow brew formed a huge snow-white head even though I poured it very gently. Generous lacing forms as the head quickly dissipates, leaving a half-finger head that remains throughout.

Smell: Very spicy on the nose. Fruitiness permeates and makes it a very prominent smell of the brew. Also present is a strong yeast aroma.

Taste: It is a quite tasty beer. The citrus present in the nose shines here. It's somewhat spicy, earthy, yeasty, fruity. The relatively dry finish is very manageable and rounds the brew out quite well. The taste pleasantly lingers.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and extremely well carbonated. It goes down easy. I could imagine coming in from a hot day of working out in the yard and being perfectly refreshed by this Saison.

06-10-2011 02:31:35 | More by Bmuncy
RedBear84

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

poured into Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer has a light straw color with slight haze and light wispy head that disappears fast. There is a pronounced yeasty nose with a hint of lemon and much less sourness than some of this style. There is some tartness and a minor hop finish. Another fine Ommegang.

06-30-2012 20:37:06 | More by RedBear84
EdTheEdge

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

S - 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Bright cloudy yellow with thick pure white head and substantial lacing.

N - Smells of sweet pine, orange peel, grass and yeast.

T - First I get a orange zest taste followed shortly there after by a peppery spice. Malt and hops in the end. The alcohol is well hidden behind the flavor profile.

M - Near perfect carbonation. Aftertaste is pleasantly clean and does not linger.

O - Not my favorite style as I usually enjoy hoppier beers, but Hennepin is a crisp and refreshing representative of the style. I will most likely drink this beer again in the future.

03-09-2013 15:41:28 | More by EdTheEdge
Marq18

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- Poured a golden and slightly hazy with great billowy head. Head subsided to thin film with good lacing.
S- Smells slightly bready. More pronounced citrus and floral notes.
T- Tastes wonderful. Nice light spice and yeastiness with bread and fruit overtones. Slight bitterness at the end.
M- Medium body with medium to high carbonation, finishes quite dry.

Great saison, I would recommend this beer to anyone.

03-12-2013 01:14:36 | More by Marq18
Thezapper

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours a nice amber with a beautiful frothy head.

The smell reminds me of summertime. It's nice and light and citrusy with some yeast funkyness.

The taste is refreshing and spicy and sweet with just a touch of hops to balance it out. Nicely carbonated and each sip begs for another. It's an easy drinker but one that has enough complexity not to get boring.

Overall this is a great saison and a beer that I've gone back to time and again. Another home run for Ommegang.

07-17-2013 07:19:47 | More by Thezapper
IPAlot

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I consider this the finest product of Ommegang, as I have not yet detected such a masterful balance of spice, malt, aroma, and gaseousness elsewhere in there lineup. Drank out of St. Bernardus chalice/goblet (it doesn't really belong to either at)around 55 deg F.

Appearance: That beautiful belgian blonde. My dreams say it should be a bit more cloudy. Forget that I just squeezed the bottom yeast out of the bottle and there it is.

Smell: Heavenly. Pepper. Citrus. Apricots. Pears. Honey. In that order. A subtlety amazingly combined with the attention-demand of a slap in the face.

Taste: Not much hops, but the spiciness and pleasant fizziness substitute proficiently. A smoooooooooooooth light maltiness fills the middle, and the swallow is followed by a very fun crackling of lace inside your mouth, which doubly serves to release a final bubble of aroma up the back of the throat.

Balance, balance, balance, Daniel-san. Asssertiveness and Lightness, Yin and Yang, Theory and Practice, Black and White, Power and Persuasion. This beer is all of these.

02-24-2003 16:37:33 | More by IPAlot
ctrlfreak

South Dakota

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

I was surprised by the clarity of this bottle conditioned ale. (taking a sip) I was a little nervous about trying this because I am not a fan of the Ommegang. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. (sipping) A beautiful amber with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was a wonderful thick frothy white. The nose was a little harsh but that is do to the Belgian yeast. I am a hop lover. (sip and gulp) But the taste cuts through the nose and washes everything down with a clean and crisp mouth.

01-24-2004 01:14:09 | More by ctrlfreak
jswigart

Connecticut

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

I just can't figure this beer out - I think its a great beer, but I have a hard time articulating why I think that... This is the SECOND time that I have had this on-tap at home... The first time, I had a half-barrel - when I picked up that keg, it was already a number of months old... I don't recall the exact age, but I recall emailing the folks at Ommegang and they told me that this beer would age well... Anyway, the sedond time, I had this i in a log and it was more current... I think I preferred the first, older, version... This is just an unusual style... Sweet, carbonated and notes of honey. I dinged it a little bit for mouthfeel - I think you can sense the carbonation and relatively high alcohol... Even so, I just like it... A great beer, even if I can't say why I think so...

08-18-2006 01:33:01 | More by jswigart
matylight

Oregon

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A: hazy golden yellow with a spritzy white one finger head that settles back after a few seconds
S: alcohol, malt, cloves, lemony citrus, orange peel, lightly hopped...this one has got some jazz in it
T: dry, not as tangy as i suspected, grassy, slight hint of wheat, alcohol warms on the way down. the citrus isn't hanging in there as much as i'd hoped for but this is still very delicious
M: spritzy, medium bodied...this is just the way a good saison should be.
D: i could definately go for a few of these on a warm summer evening. very refreshing and easy to drink but it's got enough punch to make it an end of the night beer. certainly worth searching out.

10-29-2007 01:51:24 | More by matylight
wstein70

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

I had several goblet's of this great beer at a local German restaurant several weeks back and I have to say I was very impressed with it (hence the several goblets). I reminded me of my favorite saisons from Saint Somewhere. I would definitely order again when I see it on tap somewhere.

12-03-2010 15:45:56 | More by wstein70
MrWinky

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A. Beautiful pale straw pour with small but luxurious head. Nice bit of carbonation.

S. Hoppy with grapefruit-like aroma. Crisp, citrusy, and light.

T. A great balance of hoppy flavor, pale malts, citrus and excellent dry finish.

M. Good bit of carbonation. Nice, light, and dry.

D. Bring on the summer work and keep these nearby and you'll be a happy camper...if you like the type than this is your beer.

02-11-2011 17:22:42 | More by MrWinky
steeb

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Golden yellow with a nice frothy head that slowly dissapated.

S: Orange peel and ever so sight level of funk.

T: Sweet, green apples, slight pepperyness, and some belgian aromatics.

M: Medium/Full body, it still feels like its in your mouth after drinking

O: A pretty solid belgian ale. I fell in love with Saison Dupont and hold all other saisons to that standard. A bit on the fuller body sweet side that i didnt care for too much.

02-22-2013 04:52:08 | More by steeb
gatorsuf1

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color. A great, sticky, 2-inch white head forms that leaves good lacing.

As the beer warms the aroma really picks up. Smells like honey, lemon and very yeasty.

The taste is very complex. Very grassy and earthy with a hint of citrus. Alcohol and the hops come through at the end. A little spice also, kind of like cloves, that leaves the tongue slighty numbed. A medium mouthful with more carbonation than expected.

Overall, a great beer and the first saison I've had. I will definitely come back to this one often.

01-25-2006 06:21:27 | More by gatorsuf1
sls0210

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours hazy yellow with a fluffy white head. Banana and cloves dominate upfront with some lemon and coriander. Definitely taste the yeast and a little sweetness. Nice crispness from all that carbonation, but not overloaded. Surprised by the ABV because it drinks pretty smooth without too much of an alcohol bite. Perfect for pre-dinner or a day out in the sun. In my opinion, close runner-up to Saison Dupont for best in style.

06-01-2009 18:34:57 | More by sls0210
scninmer08

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz. bottle into tulip.

A- hazy yellow with white head. Hard to pour this one without creating a large head. Dissipated fairly quickly. Lots of bubbles.

S- Smells like a hefeweizen. Lots of banana and clove with some pepper.

T- Similar to a Duvel, but not quite as complex. The taste follows the nose, with plenty of the Belgian yeast coming through. I was fascinated by the finish I got, which added a new dimension to the range of flavors already present

M- Very carbonated at first, which took away from it, but was much better as it warmed. Dry and crisp.

O- I'm not too familiar with the Saison style. Having only had Saison de Silly, I was expecting something a little more funkier and out of normal range, but I suppose the Silly is an exception. Overall, a nice brew that I will be enjoying more of soon.

03-15-2012 23:06:46 | More by scninmer08
JudoJeff

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I found the taste to have hints of bitter spices. The label says it is brewed with ginger, but it wasn't forward enough for me to notice. However, I do pile ginger on pretty heavily in the food I eat so it may be that it is just a much less intense taste than I'm used to. The coriander and grains of paradise seemed to play a larger role the the flavor. In general I don't enjoy hoppy beer, but this was quite nice overall.

When poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tall glass (maybe the wrong choice) this developed a very tall, foamy head that took a while to settle.

01-20-2013 01:28:26 | More by JudoJeff
lord2464

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Beutiful beer! Drank from a wine glass as no quality goblet was available. Head formed a thick marshmallow fluff looking head that was reminicent of shaving cream. I waited for it to die down - it didn't - so I stuck my nose in it. The flavars are delightful with complex spice and sweet malt. The beer is full bdies and light at the same time. A sleeper that will put you on your ass if your not carefull! Love it. And a bargain compared to imported versions of equal quality.

I am inspired to brew a Saison next time I open up the back yard brewery.

07-23-2005 16:52:51 | More by lord2464
moklett

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a rather clear buttery golden color with a frothy ultra-white head.

The smell is definitely fruity (apple and pear) but with the characteristic Belgian-style malt/yeast earthiness that makes me think of nuts.

Taste is not as sweet as I expected based on the smell (and my limited experience with saisons, which I thought were sweeter). The earthy characteristics shine through instead. Alcohol taste is present more than I expected, but not out of balance. As drinking continues, the pear flavor is the one that persists.

Feels creamy but light on the tongue. As I get toward the end, wow(!), I realize how much I am enjoying this beer. While I wasn't initially floored, the great balance in this beer makes it a great drink!

11-02-2005 01:57:21 | More by moklett
tdt560

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - poured a cider-like color with an incredible pillow like head with continuous bubbling, it's like a spa in a glass.

Smell - smells of citrus and pepper with hints of a fresh cut lawn, smells refreshing.

Taste - taste is very refreshing. Citrus, fruit and nutty flavor that finishes a little dry.

Mouthfeel - light slippery-like mouthfeel leaves a slight tingle on the tongue.

Drinkability - This is very drinkable and refreshing on a hot summer day, though caution must be used because the well hidden alcohol will catch up with you :)

07-09-2008 23:20:57 | More by tdt560
gorby16

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

A - golden color with ample amount of carbonation

S - anise, honey, fruity, floral

T - not sweet; a little sour taste and bitterness; can taste the floral esters at first, but those quickly disappear

I haven't tried many Belgium-style beers before so wanted to give this a shot. It's a good beer, but I'm not a fan.

01-20-2009 13:40:50 | More by gorby16
barleywineman

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

This beer is full of funk and bubble gum, yeasty, doughy, a little too sour for a saison. definately farmy! but it may be better with food not an easy brew to drink alone unless you want half 3 philosophers and half duvel in the same glass :( sorry hut dissapointed. Tastes better with Food

06-14-2009 23:49:19 | More by barleywineman
bturton

2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor.

04-25-2010 17:01:48 | More by bturton