Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) | Brewery Ommegang

YOUR RATING = None |

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Reviews: 2,136 | Ratings: 5,847
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the Hennepin that I have heard so much about and it lived up to expectations. This beer is superior in all categories. A+!!!

Look: A warm and inviting golden yet opaque appearance with greater than average head and lace retention.

Nose: I thought I smelled an orange-and-hop combination. Quite pleasing aroma none the less.

Taste: The flavor seemed to effloresce in my mouth like a sunflower bursting into bloom. Again orange and hops is how I tasted it.

Mouth: Creamy delicious.

Drinkability: No brainer here: It is clearly one of the easiest beers I have ever drunk.

What a Joy!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 750mL bottle. Big bold and beautiful. Golden, huge white sticky head. Lots of nucleation.

Smells a bit fruity with a little spiciness. Delicious. Tingles the tongue. Mouthfeel is smooth drinkability is amazing. This shit is awesome. One of my first saison/farmhouse styles and I must say....Amazing! Please drink one. I could have reviewed this beer so much better but I'm a little too buzzed!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: LIght hazy golden color with a nice chunky head that thins out but persists for the entire beer. When poured into a duvel tulip the carbonation goes on and on and on.

Smell: Sweet spicy n phenolic

Taste: Just started getting into this saison style but definitely a yummy beer. Lemony tartyness that turns into a mildly sweet middle and finally a nutty/earthy finish at the end. Love the spicy aftertaste on this one. The alcohol is definitely there but it's not overwhelming at all

Very drinkable beer. Had this on my balcony on a nice summer night in Florida and it hit the spot juuust right

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Hazy, golden color with bright white head and some large beading. Nice carbonation and decent lacing. Good head retention as well.

Smell: Very complex. Spicy and earthy with plenty of character from the Belgian yeast. Fruity notes with some sweet orange peel present and a bit of tanginess.

Taste: Spicy Belgian yeast with a sweet, tangy character as well. A little citrusy at the finish and a bit floral too.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, yet light and refreshing. Very style appropriate.

Overall: Easily my favorite example of this style so far. Complex, refreshing and delicious. Works well during any season. The orange peel is very apparent and the grains of paradise and coriander add a spicy complexity that's great with the Belgian yeast. The tanginess and hints of citrus add even more to the depth of this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Ommegang makes such good beer. The fact that its practically in my backyard is a bonus. Hennepin was the first Beer i tried from ommegang, and remains my favorite. I love saisons, and this is a bonafide classic. cloudy, sour, refreshing, not to sweet, damn good stuff. This beer pours a light gold amber, hazy with a healthy foamy head retention, nice yeasty ring in the bottom of the bottle left behind. Smells of citrus, a little alcohol, light sweetness. The flavor is all saison, nice sour tartness, a little sweetness to balance it out, wonderfully refreshing. Great Beer .

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Visual Appeal: cloudy gold, honeyesque

Smell: intense hop aroma

Flavor: mildly sweet, lemon, strong alcohol (7.7%)

Mouthfeel: could be more effervescence

Drinkability: doubt I would have more than 2 at a sitting because of the unusually high alcohol content

Saisons were traditionally made for harvesting farmhands in rural Belgium--they were refreshing and light (~3.5% ABV.) Ommegang has unfortunately americanised this saison, and I feel it's lost something of its authenticity in the process.

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Straw golden in color with a nice three finger white head that had tons of lacing. impressive so far

S: not as much on the smell... honey and malt might be the top flavors here.

T: Very nice and crisp feel with smooth taste very nice. Mild honey and malty flavors. There is more here than the smell....

M: Crisp and light, like a lager but better

D:a very nice drinkable beer. My wife would really like this one.

Overall it is a very good beer that I am going to have to keep in the fridge. My wife is gonna love this one.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Corked and caged in a 750 mL bottle. A nice popping sound upon opening the bottle. Pours a medium height white head that stayed for a medium duration. Clear deep gold, clarity is reduced when finishing the bottle due to stirring up the yeast a little

S: Clean smell with some citrus, spice, and yeast breadiness

T: Lots of yeast flavors but still on the light-medium side. Spicy, clove a little sweetness residue.

M: Nice belgian style higher carbonation Finishes fairly clean with some citriusy yeasty flavor residues

O: Smooth drinking saison with some nice flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

A: Clean pine-wood color with and beautiful rich 1-2 finger white head that coats the glass with heavy lacing

S: Pine-y sharp with esters. Not my favorite kind of smell, though it could be appropriate for this style.

T/M: Hoppy, sharp, citrus-y and pine-y (sensing a theme here). Unexpected body, leaving a nice coating and a slight astringency.

O: though this is not my usual choice of beer, it is surprisingly satisfying. I would drink it again if I was looking for a lighter kind of ale with character. Even now I am still curious about it and would definitely try it again.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle conditioned poured in a standard pint...because that's what I have in this hotel.

A: slightly hazy golden color small head that persists and leaves lacing on the glass as you drink.

S: slighly metallic smell with light apple like jicama or starfruit but not sour like starfruit

T:sweet like a chimay cinq cents with buttery bread feel that fades to a plain wheat bread. Slightly spicy though I'd be inclined to say it's the carbonation.

M: smooth easy drinking saison slight burn from carbonation but not harsh.

O: I agree with ajzbedo in that this would be great to pop the cork on a hot summer day it's refreshing and flavorful in the bread department. It can even at times remind me of caraway ie pumpernickel. I'd say I'm a fan, it's reasonably priced too.

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

poured into my duvel glass- didn't realize how appropriate that would be until i tasted it. it appeared slightly more golden in color than duvel, but the taste was pretty close. a little thinner and slightly less peppery, but overall not very different to me. thoroughly enjoyed, but if i'm going for that style i'll go with hennepin's older, more established belgian cousin.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Pale straw with thick, lasting, frothy head.

Smell - Grassy hops. Spicey yeast overtones. Some clove aroma.

Taste - Nice spicey sweetness, with floral hop balance. A hint of clove in the aftertase.
Good complexity.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent, and quenching. Medium body.

Drinkability - Complex and balanced flavor makes this an excellent quality brew. The last drink leaves you wanting another. This is quickly becoming a favorite.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

The beer pours a light straw yellow with a thick, fluffy, white head. The smell is of fruit and yeast. Upon drinking, I first noticed a complex medley of flavors, hard to pin any one flavor down. There were over-riding fruit flavors with a bit of an alcohol tingle on the front of the tongue. After swallowing, a mild apple juice flavor lingers for a short time. Has a sharp bite when it first hits the tongue but mellows out.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with a reasonable pure white head. Strong lacing that really hangs around.

S - Strong fruit (banana, hint of citrus) with a welcome - if muted - floral hoppiness, and beyond that just a general sense of fresh flowers. Really interesting.

T - Fruit comes on at the start and remains throughout, the same banana and lemon/citrus. I feel like theres some sort of spice in here that I can't quite put my finger on - not hot but just a zestiness. Mild to moderate hop bitterness on the finish but it doesn't linger too long.

M - Surprising amount of carbonation but a generally light mouthfeel. Not a huge amount of aftertaste, but the alcohol content comes through at the end.

D - Reasonably light for what it is. I don't think I'd want to session something as worthy as this anyway, but I could certainly put away a few pints before the moderate ABV catches up to me.

Overall, a great warm weather beer and a nice way for someone who hasn't traditionally been a fan of the style to jump in. OK, it's not a "real" Belgian in the same way a Padron Anniversario 1964 isn't a "real" Cuban...but in the end, do you really care? This a great offering, no matter where it's brewed.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle poured a light pale straw color with a hint of orange to it. Head was rich and fluffy white with many small bubbles that faded down to a good 2-3 fingers. It smells quite like fruits and citrus such as peaches, bananas, and oranges. It also has a somewhat spicy wheat aroma to it. The taste is sweet and fruity like the smell. Not a lot of hops with just a small bitterness to round it off. It has smooth mouthfeel that isn't real thin and watery but isn't thick and syrupy. All in all, it is a very good drinkable swill. I was expecting a little more out of it, but still enjoyed it.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

My first saison came from the well in a flute glass. A slightly cloudy honey and tea was topped with an airy head that left a trace of lace

It was faint in the nose and not as available as I would like, but straw and spice with a hint of fruit.

What a beautifully flavored beer. Earthy with a hint of yeast and hops. The draw was the best part. Touches of honeydew, melon and orange! FABULOUS!

If this is the archetype saison, I shall be having more!

4.73/5  rDev +13.4%

750mL bottle poured into a Chimay goblet

A: A golden glow, as if from some inner light. It pours with a poofy head that settles down to a thin coating after a long while.

S: Spicy. A little musty, but that gives way to bright and sharp very quickly.

T: The beer is immediately sweet, spicy, and bitter. It all hits the palate at the same time and then fights it out through the finish. This beer is like a train wreck of great flavors, all smashing together with wonderful results. The finish is long, with sweet giving way to bitter giving way to spicy, finally giving way to a lightly sour lemon flavor.

M: Prickly carbonation that lasts all the way to the end, combined with a medium-bodied beer makes this a perfect mouthfeel.

D: This beer is perfect for drinking while cooking on the grill in the middle of summer after mowing the lawn and playing fetch with the dog. It's perfect for drinking on a cool night. The alcohol content is low enough to make this a beer you can sip all night, and everything about it is enough to make you want to sip it all night.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

a-It pours with a nice lush three inch head,some lacing as it fades. Color is a hazy yellow gold.
s-Yeasty but nothing really jumps out, maybe some clove, some cereal,a little hay, a hint of sweetness, and some saaz.
t-Fairly tart and bitter, a touch of alcohol. Not that enjoyable to me.
m- Nice feel of carbonation on the tongue, dry, but seems to coat to my mouth after it goes down.
d- Drinkable but I couldn't do a lot of these.

2.63/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

Pours a yellow, but thick cloudy, body with a thicky and cloudy offwhite lacy head. Smells of malt and not much else. I only knew there were bananas in there because of other reviews, otherwise I would have never picked it up.

Truly tastes like nothing great, just a nice malty beer, but nothing impressive, and something I would never spend 2.75$ for a 12oz bottle on again. This is a beer that is truly underwhelming.

The mouthfeel & drinkability for a 7.7% ABV were the only upsides to this beer. The fact that only a few will get you feeling really good and that it goes down nice with a quick bite make it only slightly worthwhile...

For a brewer who puts out Abbey Ale & Three philosophers, this was extremely disappointing.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

75dL bottle into an Ommegang holiday pack glass.

This beer was so pretty that I had to stop and take a picture. A beautiful translucent golden color with a billowing white head. The lacing never ends.

This been smells like getting drunk on the bank of the Seine. Or at least that is what my brain is telling me. I don't drink many Saisons, but my first were consumed on a trip to Paris with some buddies. If I was in the fragrance business creating a cologne that smelled like this would be priority number one. The actual scent is grassy with hints of green apples, and maybe a little alcohol underneath.

Very tart, but I wouldn't say sour. It is a light tasting beer. All the scents that I picked up are also present in the taste. My mouth feels clean after each sip. I could probably drink more than a .75L bottle of this is given the opportunity.

Hennepin is light on the tongue, but the tartness makes my mouth want to pucker a bit. The smell, but prolific, bubbles feel great from the time they touch my lips to the moment they drain down my throat.

The 7.7% abv is what prevents this beer from being a 4 or even 4.5 in drinkability. This beer is easy to drink and not too hard of the wallet, but I'm a light-weight and I always will be so drinking too much of a 7.7% beer is just out of the question for me.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

(Originally reviewed 02/28/2010)

APPEARANCE - Cloudy, Pale, yet the middle of the glass, from top to bottom, it appears to be darker, almost as if a Yuengling was surrounded by a Miller Lite. Pure White head, 1 1/2 fingers up. Carbonated fairly well, bubbles continue to rise to the top

SMELL - Sour, citrus, spice, yeast, alcohol. I think the sour could possibly be some granny smith apples in there.

TASTE - Malty, citrus-acidic, I tend to sense some earthy flavors as well. Maybe even a hint of banana - nothing overpowering or obnoxious, but nice. Slight grapefruit aftertaste, combined with bitterness and dryness.

MOUTHFEEL - Smooth. Carbonation does not interfere with the experience. Definately medium bodied and crisp.

DRINKABILITY - Complex flavors, strength and price make this one a winner. Constructed almost perfectly, delivers powerful product, this was a highly enjoyable experience.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance- Hazy straw colored pour, very thick head. Nice and fluffy but it subsides somewhat rapidly.

Smell- Smells strongly of yeast. Smells a little like it might be ester-y. Its smell is a bit on the funky side but its very light.

Taste- Clearly Belgian. Very complex, I can taste the following flavors in the following order: Ester-y burn that transitions quickly into sweet and yeasty, then... It turns to grass(?) and then to hops.

M- Nice carbonation, a little viscosity. Nothing major.

O- Ðid not know this style a lot until fairly recently. I like them a lot and this is a fair example of the style. In fact, this beer is downright delicious.

Note: Bought as part of the Ommegang christmas gift pack.. Well worth it for the price..

4.88/5  rDev +17%

This is awesome; i love the citrusy/belgian, but not too sweet thing it's got going. Much more drinkable than a belgian, I think. you could drink a ton of these, and not get tired...but you might fall over, as it's pretty strong. I think the all around drinkability is due to the nice effervensence and citrus taste. good in any weather.

I would have given it all 5's, but I suppose it could be improved...not really sure how.

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in my Ommegang glass (almost a tulip)

Aroma: Not a huge aroma overall. Low hop nose with some citrus (orange) and a hint of spice (coriander?). Maybe even a faint floral note?

Appearance: Golden in color with a yellowish-orange tint. Very tall, white head with good retention (slow dissipation) that leaves some trail on the glass. Somewhat cloudy, but rising bubbles are still visible.

Flavor: Crisp citrusy hop flavor with some spice notes (seems to be ginger). Maybe a bit of light maltiness and yeast flavor present? Very slight bit of alcohol in background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a very enjoyable, smooth finish that doesn't linger too long. Enough carbonation to feel it on your tongue.

Overall Impressions: There is quite a bit going on here that I cannot quite put into words (this was one of my early reviews). Very refreshing Belgian that is not too heavy. Gets better as it warms a bit. I could and would drink this beer everyday.

4.46/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours a nice amber with a beautiful frothy head.

The smell reminds me of summertime. It's nice and light and citrusy with some yeast funkyness.

The taste is refreshing and spicy and sweet with just a touch of hops to balance it out. Nicely carbonated and each sip begs for another. It's an easy drinker but one that has enough complexity not to get boring.

Overall this is a great saison and a beer that I've gone back to time and again. Another home run for Ommegang.

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang