Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,085 | Hads: 5,596
4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Belgian style ale, but brewed in the states. Hennepin pours a cloudy blonde color with a medium white head laced with carbonation. The taste is light on the hops with clean crisp citrus flavors. The is one of my all time favorites and is hard to believe this is brewed in New York. (281 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

What a great looking beer, with the taste to match. I love the color of this beer. It falls between a sparkling yellow to gold. Pours with a nice foamy white head that simmers down just enough to cover the beer. Smell includes every fruit in the holiday fruit basket...fresh pears and definitely a strong citrus aroma. One of the first Belgians I have had, so the taste was definitely a mystery when the first drop hit my lips. Smooth taste with a sweet aftertaste that is in no way dissatisfying. When I let my girlfriend try it, she thought she was drinking a champagne or sparkling wine. The carbonation is odd, but somewhat refreshing. Definitely a beer that I could have a couple of if it was in the budget. (712 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a brandy snifter. Nice light orange color with a solid two finger orange head. Very good appearance. A strong aroma of hops and fruit. Pleasant to the nose. The taste had a good subtle flavor of the citrusy fruits, mostly orange, and hops but seemed to be lacking a little of something. Mouthfeel was what I was expecting for the style, no residue left behind. Alcohol was high to be overly drinkable and its probably the wrong time of the year for this beer. I will definately be getting this for sipping on the deck next summer.

This was my first saison, it is a style I have just never bothered to try. I will be trying more in the future. This is the second Ommegang beer I have had that didnt live up to its hype. But, in this case, Im not sure there is anything necessarily wrong, I just may not know the style well enough. Yet. Will review my scores after I am more knowledgable. (929 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

An truly excellent beer.

A - Pours a deep orange/gold, with a bit of haze.

S - Belgian-y. Some citrus and spice with yeast/bread.

T - Lovely. Non-IPA style hops lead off with a citrus-spice, transitioning with lively carbonation to a clove/bread mixture, and finishing with just a hint of heat. Also a fair amount of champagne character and flavor. Could do with slightly less clove.

D - With the exception of the aforementioned clove, the drinkability is very high. (470 characters)

Coudy golden-orange, with billowy pure white head that sticks around for the long haul. Beautiful. Spicy banana aromas, very complex. Taste is herbal hops, pepper, clove, banana, candied ginger, caramelized orange rind, pear -- it's all in there! High carbonation creates a playful feeling on the tongue, and balances nicely with the spicy and oh-so-bitter finish. This is a damn good beer.

Serving type: bottle (412 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a normal pint glass.

A: Pours a pale orange with a fluffy white head.

S: This is my first saison, sour notes and a general "funkyness" stand out, but in a good way.

T: Taste is similar to smell, bready yeast and floral and citrus notes. Strong funkiness prevails as well.

M: Goes down well.

D: Very complex flavors kept me coming back for more. Overall I was not blown away, but did enjoy the beer and style, must revisit in the future. (474 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy gold with a gigantic white head (pour it into a 16 ounce glass). Smells like yarrow and milkweed, like an overgrown field (typical of saisons). Flavours of coriander, yellow curry, fresh cut grass, booze. You have to like saisons to appreciate this, but it's a good one. (275 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a goblet.

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I was slightly let down by this ale. Bottle-conditioned, Belgian-style ale brewed in Cooperstown, NY? And one of the "Duvel family" of ales? I wanted to like it--no, LOVE it.

The verdict is in, and I would submit that it's pretty good, but not great. (Disclaimer: This was my first foray into the "saison/farmhouse" type of ale, so I can't relate it to others of the same type.) The bottom line is that the dryness and lemony-ness of this ale are overpowering. Considering the healthy ABV, and the fact that it's a Belgian-type knockoff, I would ask for a little more complexity. This ale has a lot of flavor; it's just not as interesting it could be (kind of like typing in ALL CAPS).

Apparently many other reviewers like it, so it might be at the top of its class for all I know; I can only speak within the limitations of my own experience.

Would I drink it again? Certainly. Would I *buy* it again? Not at that price point--there are better alternatives. (1,028 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

This brew poured a hazy golden color with a nice white foamy head, with lacing holding on the edges throughout the drinking of it. It smelled of spicy malts with some fruit in the background and maybe a bit of alcohol. It was full bodied with plenty of carbonation. Tastes of spices and citrus dominated this beer, with a nice hoppy finish. Drinkability was very nice and I will definetly be sampling this again. (412 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Look - This beer pours a pale yellow color with some cloudiness and a very think fluffy white head. There are lots of champagne like bubbles that last thru the entire drinking.

Smell - I got some bananas, clove, yeast, fruit and a subtle maltiness and sweetness.

Taste - I found some clove, bananas, spiciness, other fruits and some sweetness on the taste. There is a bit of a bite to it, and you get some alcohol bite to it as well towards the finish.

Feel - A lot of carbonation like champagne. This could be off putting to some, but I enjoyed it. There is not a lot of body, but there is a lot going on in the flavors.

Drinkability - I would rate this beer well on drinkability. With everything going on from smell to flavors, it was really nice. Yes there is a decent amount of alcohol to it, so it is not sessionable, but it was very tasty. (853 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1%

appearance: whitish gold, champagne, high carbonation, slightly hazy

smell:slight butterscotch, belgian yeasty, bubble gum, banana, some phenol

taste: cloves right up front, slightly bland phenols in the middle, alchoholic on the end, slightly dry finish, almost no hoppyness

mouthfeel: starts a bit thin, gets thick in the middle due to high carbonation, creamy, alcohol punch only comes out right at the finish

overall: love the ommegang belgian yeasts, great clove spicyness, minimal bitterness, smooth despite almost 8%, very drinkable (543 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice hazy yellow color. The head on this one is the best I've seen on a Saison/Farmhouse. Thick, creamy 3 finger head that sticks to the glass. The aroma is spot on. Ripe fruit comes to mind first, kiwi, bannana, green apple, and peach. You also get some nice bread/dough flavors in there as well. The taste follows the nose almost exactly. I love the fruit you get with this beer. There is a slight funk that is going on too. Musty like flavors on the finish. Overall, I loved this beer. Right up there with my favorite saisons. (537 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I found the taste to have hints of bitter spices. The label says it is brewed with ginger, but it wasn't forward enough for me to notice. However, I do pile ginger on pretty heavily in the food I eat so it may be that it is just a much less intense taste than I'm used to. The coriander and grains of paradise seemed to play a larger role the the flavor. In general I don't enjoy hoppy beer, but this was quite nice overall.

When poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tall glass (maybe the wrong choice) this developed a very tall, foamy head that took a while to settle. (570 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

From bottle. White fluffy head. Pale gold color. Screams crisp right out of the bottle.

Floral citrus on the nose. Bright palate with lemon, coriander, ceylon cinnamon, nutmeg flavors. Above average carbonation. Pretty clean finish, maybe a little lime at the end. (266 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

25.4oz bottle purchased at Trader Joe's with the new labeling, poured into 6oz tulip glass.

APPEARANCE: 50:50 fluid to head ratio. Beer is a rich, overcooked-olive-oil-yellow with aggressive effervescence. Fully translucent but cloudy. Head is pure white with subsidence in asymmetrical patterns, leaving pillows of foam in unpredictable places.

SMELL: Lemons, Grandfather's toolbox, Chardonnay

TASTE: Tart to the tongue inducing pleasant saliva secretion. Hops are very present but just enough bitterness to balance the bright flavours. Yeasts are very fruity - Notes of citrus. Notes of anise root. notes of papaya. "aftertaste" strongly resembles pear jelly bellies. Alcohol is well concealed.

MOUTH-FEEL: Frothy due to the easily-agitated carbonation. Tickle to the tongue, followed by a filling gulp down the throat. Viscosity of true fluid is low.

OVERALL: This beer was rated without any financial bias, however, the pleasure it provided was frighteningly affordable. If I were to ever drink this with a buddy, we'd certainly need two bottles, because I'm not sharing mine. (1,088 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%

Ommegang rarely disappoints. Hell, they just might be the best American brewer of Belgian styles out there right now. That's why I was eager to try out the Hennepin, an example of the increasingly trendy farmhouse saison style.

Popped the cork, opened the windows, and poured into a lovely Ommegang glass.

This beer looks wonderful, pouring a slightly cloudy, grassy yellow with a healthy, rich snow white head that looks like whipped cream.

Cloying nose teases at pleasant spring grasses, with a slightly lemony zest. it's a very clear, fresh aroma that begs for this beer to be consumed outdoors. Open those windows!

Once you start to drink, all those aromas reveal themselves to be precursors to an equally subtle yet alluring taste. The zesty lemon leaps to the forefront at the tail end of the taste, and is preceded by the very slightly sweet, every so mildly grainy taste of fresh cut fields ... and not the negative kind of grassy associated with some lesser beers. This tastes like the fresh air of a Pennsylvania farm. It's quite nice.

Wonderfully bodied, perfect carbonation and an overall nice feel make this a sensational sipper.

Overall, Ommegang once again shows why they rarely disappoint. The Hennepin is a zesty, refreshing example of the farmhouse style. When the spring weather warms you NEED to have a bottle of this. (1,344 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured a hazy pale dark yellow. A steady stream of bubbles raced up to a creamy thick head. The head persisted over the entire glass.

S: Classic Belgian esters and phenolics. Slight grain. No hop aromas.

T: Classic Belgian esters and phenolics. Sweet grain. Some flavor notes. Perfectly balanced hop bitterness. No hop flavor.

M: Spritzy. Very carbonated. The beer has just enough residual sweetness to balance the carbonation without being dry or cloying. Right on for the style.

O: Excellent example of the style. It's not my favorite style but I give it high marks for accuracy and execution. I would highly recommend. (630 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Shared with Cavery.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head. The color of gold; gold in them there hills!

S: Smells a glass of apple or pear cider, with a citrus "leaf" smell. If I were to whiff this unknowingly, I might suspect it could even be a champagne. It honestly smells pretty damned delicious.

T: It has a clean pale ale taste with a light orange juice finish. The scent deceived me, I thought it would be a little fruitier. Also attending the party is the delicious taste of bread, especially in the aftertaste. Light and yummy.

M: On a scale of 1 to Champagne, it's probably about a 6. The flavor lingers and lingers for a Saison.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't falling out of my chair excited. It is crisp, and the sweet orange undertones were really nice. Admittedly, I could guzzle down a pint or two. But for a Saison, I feel like they could have pumped up the flavor a bit.

Sour out. (920 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

750ml corked bottle poured into a pint glass.
L: Straw yellow.
A touch cloudy.
White, meringue like head that lingers a while.
S: Lemon/citrus scent.
T: Tastes like lemonade with strong fruity esters.
Ends with a slight bitterness, like orange zest.
F: Body is medium to thin.
Highly carbonated which complements the tartness.
O: I'm drinking this after lunch, outdoors, on a day that is 84F. This really hits the spot! (428 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 750ml.

Appearance: Nice, crystal clear (was careful to leave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle) with a slighly orangeish copper color. Beautiful, fluffy head that stood almost 1 1/2 inches over the top of my glass. Head lasted a good long time and even when faded, left a good 1/4 inch on top of my beer.

Aroma; wonderful bittersweet aroma, somewhat honeylike but more like caramel just before it hits the burnt stage (its lost a lot of sweetness, but hasn't become overly bitter yet). Another whiff and I realize what it is. It is the smell of those candied almonds you can buy at fairs, but it is faint, just barely there. It's that moment when the wind brings just the essence of it your way, for just a second then it is gone. Also the aromas of lemon, yeast, and raw bread. Really enjoyable and very complex.

Taste: After all those aromas it would be easy to be let down by this beer, but I'm not. All those essences follow through in the flavor. What really comes through though is a lemon like tartness then flavors of malt, spices (clove and the slightest hint of cinnamon), yeast (in the form of raw bread dough) and ending with a slight tannic dryness similar to eating apple peels. After a minute or two the aftertaste develops into spice again, this time with black pepper predominating. There is also just the slightest hint of warmth from the higher alcohol content. I really love the complexity of this beer. It's got a lot of things going for it. The only drawback is that first initial drink. I found it to be just a little on the tart side, but overall this beer rocks.

There are a lot of things going on in this beer, so I don't know that this is a beer that you would drink glass after glass of. It could become fatiguing. Also with a slightly higher alcohol content 1 or 2 bottles and I would be ready to switch for the day, but only to come back again tomorrow. (1,913 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap in a Hennepin tulip at the KC saucer.

A: pours a cloudy white straw color with ample head.
S: smells wonderful.. spicy corriander with a hint of alcohol.
T: a bit of hops up-front with some (unexpected) banana in the middle. Slight alcohol at the end and corriander throughout. I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Delicious.
M: lots of carbonation, but feels a bit.. full and flat on the tongue. Carbonation is apparent in the back of the mouth.
D: I can kick this back like it's water.. but it is so good I choose not to.

Random: I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Definitely more delicious as it warms. (632 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had this on tap and from a 750 mL bottle. Unfortunately for the review I'm using the 750 poured into goblet.

A--Pours a golden hue with a bit of yeasty haze. Big fluffy full white head that slowly diminishes to a thick sticky lace.

S--Tangy honey scent at the nose with a peppery phenolic kick.

T--Very winey honey taste at the start with a nice acidic nose. The finish has some floral notes with hints of pepper, grass, citrus, and earth. Beautifully complex.

M--Medium bodied with perfect carbonation which complements the acidic bite in the taste.

D--7.7% so not a session beer, but I could drink this all day. Just perfect anytime of year. I could also see it as a great food pairing. (698 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Very light yellow, quite hazy. Has a substantial white head and pretty significant lacing.

S - The mild grassy aroma is overwhelmed by the scent of booze. It's much too medicinal smelling for my taste.

T - Very bright and crisp with a subtle spiciness. The zing from the hops provides a nice kick and brings it all together.

M - Smoother and fuller bodied than I was expecting. It's still light like a saison should be, but it's more satisfying too.

D - Smooth and easy going. Didn't fill me up at all. I could keep going with this one for awhile.

Notes - A really flavorful and complex saison that's not afraid to be different or take a few chances. Luckily, those chances pay off. (691 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer was received as a Christmas gift in the three pack from the Ommegang Brewery. The beer poured quite lively into the glass forming a dense long lasting head with a beautiful color. The overwhelming nose was that of apples. I took some time just enjoying the aroma. The taste on the palate was clean and light with the bitterness being subdued and later. The beer tasted deceptively light for the high alcoholic strength. The finish was short and clean. Before I knew it, the glass was empty. A fine and tasty example of the style. (539 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

This is my first beer of the style.

A: Light, golden color. Brighter (almost luminescent) than a pilsner. Large, fluffy head that overflows out of my 22oz glass.

S: Floral scent, Citrus fruits; very pleasant overall.

T: The citrus taste mirrors the smell, it has a kind of richness that I can't really place. Takes a little bit to get into the taste, maybe because this is my first saison but about halfway through the beer I was like "wow." Very very tasty.

M: Seems light at first but as stated above there is a certain richness to it. Excellent palate experience.

D: I found myself getting a little full at the end of this glass, but very satisfying. 7.7% abv is invisible.

Extremely happy with how this turned out. At $9.49/4 pk it's not a steal, but well worth it. (778 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang