Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,094 | Hads: 5,632
3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Shared with Cavery.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head. The color of gold; gold in them there hills!

S: Smells a glass of apple or pear cider, with a citrus "leaf" smell. If I were to whiff this unknowingly, I might suspect it could even be a champagne. It honestly smells pretty damned delicious.

T: It has a clean pale ale taste with a light orange juice finish. The scent deceived me, I thought it would be a little fruitier. Also attending the party is the delicious taste of bread, especially in the aftertaste. Light and yummy.

M: On a scale of 1 to Champagne, it's probably about a 6. The flavor lingers and lingers for a Saison.

O: I enjoyed this beer, but I wasn't falling out of my chair excited. It is crisp, and the sweet orange undertones were really nice. Admittedly, I could guzzle down a pint or two. But for a Saison, I feel like they could have pumped up the flavor a bit.

Sour out.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

750ml corked bottle poured into a pint glass.
L: Straw yellow.
A touch cloudy.
White, meringue like head that lingers a while.
S: Lemon/citrus scent.
T: Tastes like lemonade with strong fruity esters.
Ends with a slight bitterness, like orange zest.
F: Body is medium to thin.
Highly carbonated which complements the tartness.
O: I'm drinking this after lunch, outdoors, on a day that is 84F. This really hits the spot!

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 750ml.

Appearance: Nice, crystal clear (was careful to leave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle) with a slighly orangeish copper color. Beautiful, fluffy head that stood almost 1 1/2 inches over the top of my glass. Head lasted a good long time and even when faded, left a good 1/4 inch on top of my beer.

Aroma; wonderful bittersweet aroma, somewhat honeylike but more like caramel just before it hits the burnt stage (its lost a lot of sweetness, but hasn't become overly bitter yet). Another whiff and I realize what it is. It is the smell of those candied almonds you can buy at fairs, but it is faint, just barely there. It's that moment when the wind brings just the essence of it your way, for just a second then it is gone. Also the aromas of lemon, yeast, and raw bread. Really enjoyable and very complex.

Taste: After all those aromas it would be easy to be let down by this beer, but I'm not. All those essences follow through in the flavor. What really comes through though is a lemon like tartness then flavors of malt, spices (clove and the slightest hint of cinnamon), yeast (in the form of raw bread dough) and ending with a slight tannic dryness similar to eating apple peels. After a minute or two the aftertaste develops into spice again, this time with black pepper predominating. There is also just the slightest hint of warmth from the higher alcohol content. I really love the complexity of this beer. It's got a lot of things going for it. The only drawback is that first initial drink. I found it to be just a little on the tart side, but overall this beer rocks.

There are a lot of things going on in this beer, so I don't know that this is a beer that you would drink glass after glass of. It could become fatiguing. Also with a slightly higher alcohol content 1 or 2 bottles and I would be ready to switch for the day, but only to come back again tomorrow.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap in a Hennepin tulip at the KC saucer.

A: pours a cloudy white straw color with ample head.
S: smells wonderful.. spicy corriander with a hint of alcohol.
T: a bit of hops up-front with some (unexpected) banana in the middle. Slight alcohol at the end and corriander throughout. I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Delicious.
M: lots of carbonation, but feels a bit.. full and flat on the tongue. Carbonation is apparent in the back of the mouth.
D: I can kick this back like it's water.. but it is so good I choose not to.

Random: I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Definitely more delicious as it warms.

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

I've had this on tap and from a 750 mL bottle. Unfortunately for the review I'm using the 750 poured into goblet.

A--Pours a golden hue with a bit of yeasty haze. Big fluffy full white head that slowly diminishes to a thick sticky lace.

S--Tangy honey scent at the nose with a peppery phenolic kick.

T--Very winey honey taste at the start with a nice acidic nose. The finish has some floral notes with hints of pepper, grass, citrus, and earth. Beautifully complex.

M--Medium bodied with perfect carbonation which complements the acidic bite in the taste.

D--7.7% so not a session beer, but I could drink this all day. Just perfect anytime of year. I could also see it as a great food pairing.

3.87/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Very light yellow, quite hazy. Has a substantial white head and pretty significant lacing.

S - The mild grassy aroma is overwhelmed by the scent of booze. It's much too medicinal smelling for my taste.

T - Very bright and crisp with a subtle spiciness. The zing from the hops provides a nice kick and brings it all together.

M - Smoother and fuller bodied than I was expecting. It's still light like a saison should be, but it's more satisfying too.

D - Smooth and easy going. Didn't fill me up at all. I could keep going with this one for awhile.

Notes - A really flavorful and complex saison that's not afraid to be different or take a few chances. Luckily, those chances pay off.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer was received as a Christmas gift in the three pack from the Ommegang Brewery. The beer poured quite lively into the glass forming a dense long lasting head with a beautiful color. The overwhelming nose was that of apples. I took some time just enjoying the aroma. The taste on the palate was clean and light with the bitterness being subdued and later. The beer tasted deceptively light for the high alcoholic strength. The finish was short and clean. Before I knew it, the glass was empty. A fine and tasty example of the style.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

This is my first beer of the style.

A: Light, golden color. Brighter (almost luminescent) than a pilsner. Large, fluffy head that overflows out of my 22oz glass.

S: Floral scent, Citrus fruits; very pleasant overall.

T: The citrus taste mirrors the smell, it has a kind of richness that I can't really place. Takes a little bit to get into the taste, maybe because this is my first saison but about halfway through the beer I was like "wow." Very very tasty.

M: Seems light at first but as stated above there is a certain richness to it. Excellent palate experience.

D: I found myself getting a little full at the end of this glass, but very satisfying. 7.7% abv is invisible.

Extremely happy with how this turned out. At $9.49/4 pk it's not a steal, but well worth it.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Amazing head on top of a dark yellow body launches up to the top of the glass and hangs out forever, ending its long life in a spiderweb of beauty. Glass is soapy all the way down. This beer could not look any more inviting.

S: Mint, orange, wheat, lemon, and funk.

T: I've had only a handful of Saison-styled beer, but this is heads and shoulders above all of them. Citrus and funk define an amazing blast of flavor that is not at all shy. What a magnificent work of art this beer is!

M: Sharp kick of carbonation is as good as it gets. Wish the citrus flavors would stick around longer in my mouth rather than the funk, but that's the only possible complaint I could generate.

D: I could slam these until I pass out. Delicious.

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: A thick, foamy white head sits atop a slightly brown, cloudy yellow beer. Eventually the head settles to a respectable layer that takes most of the lacing with it, leaving a decently clean glass.

Smell: Banana. And some earthy tones. That's all I can say about this beer.

Taste: Banana, spice, and a bit of earthy/grassy tones.

Mouthfeel: Clean, smooth, and slightly frothy.

Drinkability: Absolutely.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer poured a beautiful brilliant orange into my La Fin Du Mond tulip stolen from a Quebec City hotel.

Smell-I think Saisons are some of the best smelling beers. I don't know what to compare their smell to, perhaps a fresh bag of nature. Mmmm, nature.

Taste- Tart citrus. Very crisp, does not linger on the palate. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel- I'm a big fan of tiny little bubbles, which this has. Kinda sticky afterwards.

Drinkability- Man, I would be trashed if if someone offered me one of these after exercising. It really hits the spot and if I were parched I do believe I would drain one of these before you could say Ommegang.

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%

Haven't seen Ommegang beers in very many places around my area until just the past few months. Interestingly enough I stopped in a random Dandy Mini mart (typical gas/convenience store) and as I was waiting to pay for my gas at the front I looked to the back of the store. To what to my surprise did I see, but yes, an Ommegang display rack. This surprised me because this place has always been your typical place to find deals on such things as Natty light and Busch. I don't know if it is selling in this locale, but hey, God bless them for trying.

Point is their beer is starting to pop-up everywhere in the Southern Tier not just in the better beer stores, and that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, about the beer. Although it wasn't my first time with a Hennepin saison and certainly not the last, it is the first time I've reviewed it. I purchased a bomber at the store around the corner from my home and chilled it for a couple of hours before consuming.

At first pour the frothy pure white head was abundant and survived throughout the drinking of the beer covering the hazy straw color of the liquid below. As for smell, I don't have the greatest of ability in this area, but to be sure there was nothing in the slightest bit "off "about this beer, and it was at least pleasant in that respect.

The taste had a very light sweetness to it and a definite clove, corriander, citrus undertone. Although it has a 7.5 abv it seemed much lighter in mouthfeel, something a "gulpper" (like I can sometimes be) should be wary of on a hot summer afternoon.

I definitely see myself buying this beer more often now that it is readily available. It is a great summer beer that is light and refreshing. AND at $4.99 retail, not a bad price for a very high quality product.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

On Tap at a favorite beer bar.

Appearance: Pours somewhat whitish yellow color. Head adheres to the glass.

Smell: A very spicy beer. It has a different type of smell that is remarkably good.

Taste: I was expecting a strong, overpowering taste, but it was very drinkable and satisfying to the taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Smooth all the way. Very light and soft, providing a bit of tingly sensation with every sip.

Drinkability: Alcohol is hardly noticable with exceptional flavor.

This beer was a great find. After attending the Strong Ale fest in San Francisco this year, I really have taken to Strong Ales. I would recommend if you are looking to broaden your beer drinking scope. If you are not comfortable with drinking beer out of a something other than a pint glass, avoid this one.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Tops Liquor near ASU in Tempe.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

Pours an hazy unfiltered gold color with a nice rocky head. The glass I poured it in is great for capturing the scent but hurts lacing, so I won't penalize it for that.

Very interesting smell. I'm new to this style but at first sniff I thought bananas like Hefeweizen. But it has an spicy sort of smell as well.

Taste is fruity and peppery at the same time. Bananas, lemons, and spice. Dry finish and makes my mouth pucker a little.

Mouthfeel is carbonated though I couldn't see the bubbles. Prickly on the tongue and a little bit acidy.

Drinkability is good. I could have several of these. They are very refreshing.

Overall, this was a real treat. It was cool to try a new style and I really liked it.

First pour in a challis. Mammoth head with tons of yeast, pepper and citrus on the nose which I can smell a foot away. Typically cloudy but lighter in color than some other beers in this style.

Very complex. Flavors are all over the place. Savory heat (cilantro or watercress maybe) on the tongue and a bubbly tingle in the mouth. A grainy malt texture blends well with the yeastiness which lingers but doesn't overpower the palate. A superior taste with an even better sensation in the pie hole.

Results from the second pour are almost the same. A little more heat as the beer has warmed up some.

Final pour. I allowed some of the yeast to flow into the glass. I can still taste it after ten minutes. Not the way to go for me. I have tried this before with a 11.2 ounce Belgian blonde and it worked well. So it's the type of beer, temperature or some combination of the two.

Overall I love this beer. It is my favorite saison and one of the best beers I have tried.

Note* I'm not a fan of a big grapefruit presence (probably because I don't like grapefruit) so take this into consideration if you use opinions as a guide.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a Bottle that had chilled in the fridge for about an hour. A very hazy deep amber color was present in the glass at first but cleared up some as it sat. The taste is very vibrant in the mouth and consists of several zingy citrus fruits, a light hoppy character in the middle with a reminiscence of wheat grain, and finishes beautifully in a cascade of flavors that dance around the mouth well after swallowing. Personally, not my kind of flavored but a lot of care and attention has clearly been put into the brewing process for this one.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml corked bottle. Color is hazy very light straw.
Nice Saison which is hard to believe it came from the US and not Belgium. Very citrus and orange flavor ale. The carbonation is very good-not too much or little, with a finger size foam lace at the top of a goblet. The mouthfeel is good with very slowly disapating foam. Very easy to drink but has a little alcohol kick to it. You can feel it as you drink (7% ABV) but you really feel it as it hits your head. Some beers have a delayed alcohol reaction-not this one. Don't drink on an empty stomach. This is a great beer to share with friends! My wife even liked it!

4.67/5  rDev +12%

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful light golden with a nice fluffy white head. Smells a bit of lemon and vanilla with some sourness and overall funkiness to it. The head has fantastic retention with very nice lacing to it. Outstanding flavor with notes of vanilla, lemon, and hay funkiness. There's a pleasant bit of hop bitterness at the end. This is a beer that I think is fantastic, but can't put my finger on why exactly. Does funky lemony vanilla hay sound good? Well no, but drink it sometime and you'll find that it actually tastes fantastic. The beer has such a nice smooth drinkability and alcohol is very well hidden. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance - Dull golden yellow with a huge sticky white head that leaves it mark as you go.

Smell - Definitely has the saison funk going on. Has a certain spice and medicinal quality to it as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Sweetness and fruits up front but finishes off with the tartness and medicinal qualities you get from the smell, especially as it warms. Light to medium bodied, quite a bit of carbonation keeps the mouthfeel even more refreshing.

Drinkability - Balanced through and through a with the relatively low ABV it certainly makes for a drinkable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

I had several goblet's of this great beer at a local German restaurant several weeks back and I have to say I was very impressed with it (hence the several goblets). I reminded me of my favorite saisons from Saint Somewhere. I would definitely order again when I see it on tap somewhere.

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%

Growler Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Translucent gold, with thin white foamy head which dissipates leaving a little lace.

S- Lots of yeast, some citrus notes.

T- Crisp yeasty, bready, earthy, some citrus acidity.

M- Champagne like, quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Pretty standard example of a saison, good but not great. I like this better from a bomber.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - bright, rich golden color. First pour is clear and bright. Pillowy thick white head that lasts and lasts and sticks to side of the glass. Sediment in bottom of 750 ml bottle is consistent with "Bottle Conditioned" notice on label.

Smell - Pear/apple fruit and spice in moderation. Very appealing. Low to no hop aroma.

Taste - Spicy and tart. Pomme fruit, yeast. Slight hop bitterness is very well balanced. Just off-dry impression. Complex. Lingering spicy finish. Alcohol taste evident as it warms.

Mouthfeel - full and lucsious. Quite effervescent. Medium body.

Drinkability - a great ale in the best of the Belgian farmhouse tradition. Where can i get more of these?

3.92/5  rDev -6%

notes from 3-4-09

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip shaped chalice. Appealing cloudy golden yellow with a large frothy head with good retention. Sticky white lacing. Aroma a spicy tartness with a hint of a sour side.

In the taste the sour side becomes more evident reminding one of wine - on the dry side. A moderate bitterness in the aftertaste. Well carbonated with alcohol somewhat apparent. Defiantly a robust body it gives you the idea of Flemish Sour without going completely there.

For me drinkability is moderate. If you would like to acquire the taste of a sour this saison may be a good place to start down that path. Probably best drank in the warmer months.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

I tried this beer out of a 22 oz bottle from Oasis in Spartanburg. The color is kind of hard to describe. Sort of a hazy yellow with huge, bright white head that fades some. Smell is sugar and alcohol with little hops. Taste is sweet and a bit dry. This one is really bubbly, but a very easy drink, espically at 7.7 abv! I was really impressed with this beer and can see why it's one of the best saisons out there!

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang