Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 5,548
4.07/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- Poured a golden and slightly hazy with great billowy head. Head subsided to thin film with good lacing.
S- Smells slightly bready. More pronounced citrus and floral notes.
T- Tastes wonderful. Nice light spice and yeastiness with bread and fruit overtones. Slight bitterness at the end.
M- Medium body with medium to high carbonation, finishes quite dry.

Great saison, I would recommend this beer to anyone. (411 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Smell initially is a little funk then sage, coriander, then very fruity pear. Love the nose on this one. Pours very effervescent with thick head, lots of carbonation. Slightly acidic mouthfeel with a finish that smacks of tart orange? Not as smooth or as complex as others. It's a decent saison, but I am surprised it's as popular as it is. (345 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10%

I was surprised by the clarity of this bottle conditioned ale. (taking a sip) I was a little nervous about trying this because I am not a fan of the Ommegang. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. (sipping) A beautiful amber with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was a wonderful thick frothy white. The nose was a little harsh but that is do to the Belgian yeast. I am a hop lover. (sip and gulp) But the taste cuts through the nose and washes everything down with a clean and crisp mouth. (489 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

I just can't figure this beer out - I think its a great beer, but I have a hard time articulating why I think that... This is the SECOND time that I have had this on-tap at home... The first time, I had a half-barrel - when I picked up that keg, it was already a number of months old... I don't recall the exact age, but I recall emailing the folks at Ommegang and they told me that this beer would age well... Anyway, the sedond time, I had this i in a log and it was more current... I think I preferred the first, older, version... This is just an unusual style... Sweet, carbonated and notes of honey. I dinged it a little bit for mouthfeel - I think you can sense the carbonation and relatively high alcohol... Even so, I just like it... A great beer, even if I can't say why I think so... (793 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

A: hazy golden yellow with a spritzy white one finger head that settles back after a few seconds
S: alcohol, malt, cloves, lemony citrus, orange peel, lightly hopped...this one has got some jazz in it
T: dry, not as tangy as i suspected, grassy, slight hint of wheat, alcohol warms on the way down. the citrus isn't hanging in there as much as i'd hoped for but this is still very delicious
M: spritzy, medium bodied...this is just the way a good saison should be.
D: i could definately go for a few of these on a warm summer evening. very refreshing and easy to drink but it's got enough punch to make it an end of the night beer. certainly worth searching out. (662 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A. Beautiful pale straw pour with small but luxurious head. Nice bit of carbonation.

S. Hoppy with grapefruit-like aroma. Crisp, citrusy, and light.

T. A great balance of hoppy flavor, pale malts, citrus and excellent dry finish.

M. Good bit of carbonation. Nice, light, and dry.

D. Bring on the summer work and keep these nearby and you'll be a happy camper...if you like the type than this is your beer. (409 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Golden yellow with a nice frothy head that slowly dissapated.

S: Orange peel and ever so sight level of funk.

T: Sweet, green apples, slight pepperyness, and some belgian aromatics.

M: Medium/Full body, it still feels like its in your mouth after drinking

O: A pretty solid belgian ale. I fell in love with Saison Dupont and hold all other saisons to that standard. A bit on the fuller body sweet side that i didnt care for too much. (462 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 375ml/11oz bottle into a pint glass. Be careful pouring as I ended up with a 'beer floater' head.
Appearance was classic off yellow. The oversized head lasted for most of the drink.
First impression was of spice and this was confirmed on first taste.
I detected coriander and bouquet definitely opened as the beer warmed up in the glass.
The spice on the pallet clearly overrode the typical saison funk and really become pronounced on the back pallet towards the end of the beer.
Overall, being one of the first saisons I have critiqued I found it pretty good. If anything a little too spicy for my liking. (618 characters)

Was pumped to give this one a go, I generally like Ommegang. Poured nice, tons of bubbles, tall head. Caught me off guard, required a more delicate pour than even most other belgians to moderate head size. Nice hazy gold/yellow color in the glass, appealing looking. Smelled like the real deal, very authentick belgian.

It was only once the beer left the glass and found its way onto my tongue that disappointment set in. Admittedly, for my first sip the beer was way too cold, so i let it sit for some time. Unfortunately i don't like how it opened up. Tart, bubbly, mildly sweet, citrusy, and earthy. It all sounds nice, except the tartness was too strong. Resulted in an extremely unbalanced flavor. Not to say the beer was terrible, it wasn't, however it could use significantly more strength from the earthy/malty notes. Tartness and acidity need to be toned down a bit. Noting the beer's high rating, it looks like i'm in the minority here, but so it goes. I'll stick with the 3 Philosophers next time I hit up Ommegang (1,028 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. The beer pours a hazy orange-amber color. A great, sticky, 2-inch white head forms that leaves good lacing.

As the beer warms the aroma really picks up. Smells like honey, lemon and very yeasty.

The taste is very complex. Very grassy and earthy with a hint of citrus. Alcohol and the hops come through at the end. A little spice also, kind of like cloves, that leaves the tongue slighty numbed. A medium mouthful with more carbonation than expected.

Overall, a great beer and the first saison I've had. I will definitely come back to this one often. (609 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a rather clear buttery golden color with a frothy ultra-white head.

The smell is definitely fruity (apple and pear) but with the characteristic Belgian-style malt/yeast earthiness that makes me think of nuts.

Taste is not as sweet as I expected based on the smell (and my limited experience with saisons, which I thought were sweeter). The earthy characteristics shine through instead. Alcohol taste is present more than I expected, but not out of balance. As drinking continues, the pear flavor is the one that persists.

Feels creamy but light on the tongue. As I get toward the end, wow(!), I realize how much I am enjoying this beer. While I wasn't initially floored, the great balance in this beer makes it a great drink! (740 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - poured a cider-like color with an incredible pillow like head with continuous bubbling, it's like a spa in a glass.

Smell - smells of citrus and pepper with hints of a fresh cut lawn, smells refreshing.

Taste - taste is very refreshing. Citrus, fruit and nutty flavor that finishes a little dry.

Mouthfeel - light slippery-like mouthfeel leaves a slight tingle on the tongue.

Drinkability - This is very drinkable and refreshing on a hot summer day, though caution must be used because the well hidden alcohol will catch up with you :) (553 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Appearance is a hazy golden straw color with a thin, white head. Aroma is heavy on straw and light fruits. White grapes, maybe? Taste follows suit with mild fruitiness balanced by a bit of mustiness and spice. Complex flavors here. Light carbonation and mouthfeel. Goes down easy. Great tasting brew from Ommegang. (342 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Ommegang has done it again with this great example of saison, nice medium carbonation, golden wheat color, substantial head and crisp taste. very well balanced taste, alcohol is hidden and this would be a session beer but for it's 7.7 ABV...one of my favorite saisons. The label says they are part of the Duvel family. (318 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours hazy yellow with a fluffy white head. Banana and cloves dominate upfront with some lemon and coriander. Definitely taste the yeast and a little sweetness. Nice crispness from all that carbonation, but not overloaded. Surprised by the ABV because it drinks pretty smooth without too much of an alcohol bite. Perfect for pre-dinner or a day out in the sun. In my opinion, close runner-up to Saison Dupont for best in style. (427 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Apperance-golden hazy with a beautiful white head that sticks around for a while.
Smell - spicy, orange, hay, funk
Taste- orange, green banana, dry, slightly sour, hides abv very well
Mouthfeel - very nice smooth, full mouth feel
Overall - A lovely beer. Very refreshing, delicious and beautiful to look at. Available at a decent price. Not an easy beer to get where I live but will pick it up when I travel to another city. (425 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: poured from a 750 corked and caged bottle into a tulip. Two fingers of head. Moderate lacing that held the glass all the way down. Copper in color and cloudy/murky. Bubbles raising to the top of the glass, champagne like.

S: Didn't pick up a whole lot, white pepper, and citrus. Pleasant on the nose.

T: Bitter hops up front that slowly changed to sour apple and a honey sweet finish. White pepper is in the mix as well with a lingering peppery sweet after taste. Delightful. There is a lot going on from the second it hit my lips until I finished swallowing it. Wow!

M: A lot of carbonation, bubbly and pleasant. Very crisp and refreshing. Peppery burn. I love it!

O: This is my second go around with Ommegang first time wasn't great (abbey ale), but they hit a home run with this one! From start to finish I loved everything about this beer. I probably would rate higher if it were 95 degrees in July instead of 2 degrees in February. Great hot summer ale. I highly recommend! (985 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First of all, the weather was sunny and warm and perfect for the style when I had this beer yesterday. I had also just listened to Dr. Charles Bamforth on Beer Smith radio. I was more than ready to drink great beer and wax philosophically about it.

Appearance: Standard side pour into a .5l Weizen glass makes a large, fluffy white pillow that lasts for a good long time. Lovely cathedral window type lacing. Golden and effervescent.

Aroma: Amazing! Crisp, slight skunky/grassy/ hoppy, pilsner malt, spices/peppery, tropical banana, so much more!

Flavor: Follows the nose with Pilsner malt, spice/peppery notes add depth with complex fruity, banana, citrusy, vanilla to add yet another layer before a medium-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body, with a slight tingle/sting from the carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden. Crisp, but not overly so. The carbonation is too high to quaff this beer and that’s a good thing.

Opinion: Amazing! Similar to Tank 7… Maybe better? I was worried a little because of all the adjuncts (coriander, ginger, orange peel), but the balance is perfect. The medley is hard to detect and many sips are necessary to fully appraise. The individual flavors are elusive and fleeting. Buy it again? Oh yesss, a more thorough examination is needed. (1,282 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

Beutiful beer! Drank from a wine glass as no quality goblet was available. Head formed a thick marshmallow fluff looking head that was reminicent of shaving cream. I waited for it to die down - it didn't - so I stuck my nose in it. The flavars are delightful with complex spice and sweet malt. The beer is full bdies and light at the same time. A sleeper that will put you on your ass if your not carefull! Love it. And a bargain compared to imported versions of equal quality.

I am inspired to brew a Saison next time I open up the back yard brewery. (554 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -33%

This beer is full of funk and bubble gum, yeasty, doughy, a little too sour for a saison. definately farmy! but it may be better with food not an easy brew to drink alone unless you want half 3 philosophers and half duvel in the same glass :( sorry hut dissapointed. Tastes better with Food (290 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz. brown bottle poured into tulip glass.

Blond and Pale in color with a thin healthy head. Typical of the style, tiny bubbles at the base of the head and big fat ones at the top.

Smells clovey, bananay, and yeasty. No real lemon scent.

Taste is similar to the smell. Very mild spice with yeast dominating the flavor. Ethanol kick at the end.

Smooth mouthfeel with just the right carbonation. I always find saisons to be over carbonated.

Very drinkable especially for the style. Very good job Ommegang! (510 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: Nice Golden Color with a head that starts at about half the glass and slowly gets smaller during the pouring process
Smell: It had the smell of a typical hops beer, and was really nothing special.
Taste: All though it was better than i expected given the smell, I was far from impressed by the taste of it. I felt that it was a stronger version of a cheap main stream beer.
Mouthfeel: It wasn't anything special from the other beers that I have had. Pretty typical
Drinkability: It is easy enough to drink that I will be able to continue drinking what I have of it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.
Given the high reviews that I have seen of this beer I was expecting it to be much more flavorful than it ended up being. Although it is a nice beer, it was a bit of a let down when it came to flavor. (827 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderfull appearance. All rocky and vibrant head and pale effervescent beauty. the smell is dominated by the malt and some alchohol with little to no contribution from the hops. The taste is sweet but not cloying, as it is wonderfully balanced by the mild hop bitterness. there is almost no flavoring hops. Just a little bitterness to keep the sweet maltiness in check. The body is pleasant and satisfying, medium mouthfeel. There is a faint hint of alchohol, but is not too astringent. this beer is very drinkable and goes down very easy. this is interesting scice this is a 7.7% beer ( a litlle to strong for a saison). It is stilla very wonderfullly balanced farmhouse ale that is a very good interpretation on a beloved style. (731 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

I was only recently introduced to the Saison/Farmhouse variety of ale. Ommegang Hennepin was definitely a wonderful first encounter with the beer. It's light, sparkling, and refreshing. It's not hard to put away a 750 ml bottle of Hennepin.

Hennepin is of a medium bitterness; but is tamed by the sweet malt and citrus tastes. Many jokingly call Saison Ale the breakfast beer due to its grapefruit juice undertones. Champagne and sweet wine lovers could easily be turned on to the brew.

All ales exhibit a certain hoppy aroma. But this Saison radiates ginger and citrus as well. The heavy carbonation delivers the delightful aroma straight to your nose.

You can read my full review on my blog:
http://1yob.com/post/1032386343/hennepin (738 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%

My first saison, so take this with a grain of salt because I really don't have a lot of experience with the style.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my tulip glass. A weak gold color with a ridiculously thick white head that lasted for days (even with a weak, gentle pour like the bottle suggested).

Smell was strong and earthy. Dirt and lemon peel? My roommate called it cat pee, but I don't want to be that guy, so...

Tasted pretty nice, however. Strong spice and faint lemon notes. Even at 7.7%, alcohol is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel is as crisp and clean. Not overly syrupy with a light carbonation bite that's gone immediately.

Is it my favorite style? No. Is it good? Hell yeah. (694 characters)

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang