Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,504 | Reviews: 2,108
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance - Dull golden yellow with a huge sticky white head that leaves it mark as you go.

Smell - Definitely has the saison funk going on. Has a certain spice and medicinal quality to it as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Sweetness and fruits up front but finishes off with the tartness and medicinal qualities you get from the smell, especially as it warms. Light to medium bodied, quite a bit of carbonation keeps the mouthfeel even more refreshing.

Drinkability - Balanced through and through a with the relatively low ABV it certainly makes for a drinkable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

I had several goblet's of this great beer at a local German restaurant several weeks back and I have to say I was very impressed with it (hence the several goblets). I reminded me of my favorite saisons from Saint Somewhere. I would definitely order again when I see it on tap somewhere.

3.79/5  rDev -8.7%

Growler Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Translucent gold, with thin white foamy head which dissipates leaving a little lace.

S- Lots of yeast, some citrus notes.

T- Crisp yeasty, bready, earthy, some citrus acidity.

M- Champagne like, quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Pretty standard example of a saison, good but not great. I like this better from a bomber.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - bright, rich golden color. First pour is clear and bright. Pillowy thick white head that lasts and lasts and sticks to side of the glass. Sediment in bottom of 750 ml bottle is consistent with "Bottle Conditioned" notice on label.

Smell - Pear/apple fruit and spice in moderation. Very appealing. Low to no hop aroma.

Taste - Spicy and tart. Pomme fruit, yeast. Slight hop bitterness is very well balanced. Just off-dry impression. Complex. Lingering spicy finish. Alcohol taste evident as it warms.

Mouthfeel - full and lucsious. Quite effervescent. Medium body.

Drinkability - a great ale in the best of the Belgian farmhouse tradition. Where can i get more of these?

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

notes from 3-4-09

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip shaped chalice. Appealing cloudy golden yellow with a large frothy head with good retention. Sticky white lacing. Aroma a spicy tartness with a hint of a sour side.

In the taste the sour side becomes more evident reminding one of wine - on the dry side. A moderate bitterness in the aftertaste. Well carbonated with alcohol somewhat apparent. Defiantly a robust body it gives you the idea of Flemish Sour without going completely there.

For me drinkability is moderate. If you would like to acquire the taste of a sour this saison may be a good place to start down that path. Probably best drank in the warmer months.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I tried this beer out of a 22 oz bottle from Oasis in Spartanburg. The color is kind of hard to describe. Sort of a hazy yellow with huge, bright white head that fades some. Smell is sugar and alcohol with little hops. Taste is sweet and a bit dry. This one is really bubbly, but a very easy drink, espically at 7.7 abv! I was really impressed with this beer and can see why it's one of the best saisons out there!

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

Good God this is wonderful.

This is the first Saison Beer I've ever tried. My interest was actually sparked by a list of "50 Beers to try before you die" and it happened to catch my eye at a Whole Foods store.

It pours a glowing light straw color that is just gorgeous. The scent can be enjoyed throughout my entire kitchen and the first taste truly brings this work of art to life.

The flavors of a delicous floral yeast, with citrusy apricot subtleties come alive on my tongue.

This is a beer that should truly be enjoyed by everyone who can get their hands on it.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Looks like it should. Smells like it should. Big foamy head after a smooth pour. Tastes light but is definitely a saison. Good summer time beer for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I consider this the finest product of Ommegang, as I have not yet detected such a masterful balance of spice, malt, aroma, and gaseousness elsewhere in there lineup. Drank out of St. Bernardus chalice/goblet (it doesn't really belong to either at)around 55 deg F.

Appearance: That beautiful belgian blonde. My dreams say it should be a bit more cloudy. Forget that I just squeezed the bottom yeast out of the bottle and there it is.

Smell: Heavenly. Pepper. Citrus. Apricots. Pears. Honey. In that order. A subtlety amazingly combined with the attention-demand of a slap in the face.

Taste: Not much hops, but the spiciness and pleasant fizziness substitute proficiently. A smoooooooooooooth light maltiness fills the middle, and the swallow is followed by a very fun crackling of lace inside your mouth, which doubly serves to release a final bubble of aroma up the back of the throat.

Balance, balance, balance, Daniel-san. Asssertiveness and Lightness, Yin and Yang, Theory and Practice, Black and White, Power and Persuasion. This beer is all of these.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Served at 53 degrees

Pouring this beer into a snifter produced a thick, tight head that complemented the hazy gold color of the Saison. Aroma was quite pleasant and familiar. The beer enveloped my mouth upon the first sip as bitter hop and spicy Belgian notes faded into a delicate fruit which lingered but a moment. Despite its 7% level only the slightest suggestion of alcohol mostly via warmth. This beer proved immensely drinkable.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours golden into glass. Nice head, good retention. Nice yeasty esthers on the nose. Taste is marred by high alcohol content - not very balanced. Good carbonation - fit for style. Overall drinkability flawed by lingering alcohol flavor on finish. Not bad - but not balanced enough to be great.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pale yellow color, with a thick and lasting head. Lace reminds me of great Belgian beers

S - Sweet and malty with some fruitiness

T - Strong sweet alcoholic zip, reminds me greatly of Duvel, with its pale malt flavor and sweet, fruity tang

M - A bit too carbonated for me

O - A beer that truly stands up to its Belgian friends and is definitely one of the better American copies of the genre.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will not be bullied into liking this.

It's fine. I poured from a chilled 750 ml into a pint glass. The pour was lively, color wheat gold, and the head a solid, persistent white. Good quality aromatic hops impart a clean straw bouquet.

Drinking, though, seemed off balance to me. The high alcohol and phenols seemed over-assertive, out of balance with what should be a bright, summertime quaff.

This is my first from Brewery Ommegang. They clearly know their stuff, and I look forward to other items from their portfolio, but I don't think I'll get this one again.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

I had 22-oz bottle poured into large goblet (nothing fancy).

Appearance is a lovely gold. It is too hazy to see objects clearly but can see shapes. Lots of bubbles rising from bottom, even more than 10 minutes after pouring.

The aroma is not strong, but when I smell it it is full of malt, a bit of rising bread, and citrus, primarily orange.

The taste is like the smell with a little hint of pepper, clove and coriander. It finishes very dry and leaves a finish of malt/bread.

The feel is crisp with good carbonation - tiny bubbles like a true champagne. The feel seems just a little thin to me, although I am sure I would not want this to have a mouth-coating syrupy feel either.

I really do like this beer. If my scores seem a little low it may be because I am new to rating things on Beer Advocate so I am trying to leave room at the top end for future reviews.

3.32/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not my style... Wife loves it

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

poured from cork and cage bottle into Ommegang tulip glass

Appearance: Two fingers of compact white head perch on top of a slightly hazy pale golden beer that tends to straw in strong light. Head dissipates reluctantly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Aroma - lilac, clove, pepper, apricot, earth and hop spice all appear at different points in your progress through the glass. Also an occasional whiff of... yes... gasoline, or a sweetness in the nose that reminds one of gasoline. Which is waaay better than it sounds.

Taste - more lilac, spicy hops, marshmallow, malt, apricot and freshly turned earth all underpin a lightly sweet pale malt flavor profile. There's a refreshing dry graininess that recalls a nice Pilsener or Dortmunder which balances out the sweetness and the riot of subtle flavors that present themselves in various combinations as you drink. Highly carbonated, which brings some Champagne-like dry notes to the party.

Mouthfeel - This beer is slightly viscous - a too-warm bottle will be a little cloying and tongue-coating, but at 50-55 degrees it's great. It is possible to wear yourself out on this beer if you let it sit and warm to 70 degrees F.

Drinkability - A compulsively sippable beer, but not exactly sessionable. I want to *quaff* a Czech pils... I want to *consider* a Hennepin carefully, preferably alone and with a nice sourdough and aged cheese. I'm such a fop.

Other stuff: A soft smack of aroma hits the nose as you raise the glass, sometimes pepper, sometimes clove and malt, sometimes lilac, which is something I have never found in any other beer. The flavor changes too as you sip, sometimes earthy and sometimes sweet, while the heavy carbonation scrubs your tongue and brings more aromas through the back of your throat. After swallowing, the aroma stays and stays on the nose while the aftertaste lingers and changes on the tongue, as malt fades into hop bitterness and then a long finish of peppery spice and floral hops. When you get a well-handled bottle, this beer is a real treat.

Absolutely one of my favorite Saisons, and one of my all-time favorites of any style.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A - golden color with ample amount of carbonation

S - anise, honey, fruity, floral

T - not sweet; a little sour taste and bitterness; can taste the floral esters at first, but those quickly disappear

I haven't tried many Belgium-style beers before so wanted to give this a shot. It's a good beer, but I'm not a fan.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Apearance: Cloudy and dim, this banana yellow brew formed a huge snow-white head even though I poured it very gently. Generous lacing forms as the head quickly dissipates, leaving a half-finger head that remains throughout.

Smell: Very spicy on the nose. Fruitiness permeates and makes it a very prominent smell of the brew. Also present is a strong yeast aroma.

Taste: It is a quite tasty beer. The citrus present in the nose shines here. It's somewhat spicy, earthy, yeasty, fruity. The relatively dry finish is very manageable and rounds the brew out quite well. The taste pleasantly lingers.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and extremely well carbonated. It goes down easy. I could imagine coming in from a hot day of working out in the yard and being perfectly refreshed by this Saison.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - dark golden and hazy in color. The head was
Smell - initial sweet fruit mixed with yeast aroma that gave way to subtle hints its of floral hops.
Taste - medium intensity with a sweet finish. Carbonation remained consistent throughout drinking. It ended with a drying mouth feel.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- Poured a golden and slightly hazy with great billowy head. Head subsided to thin film with good lacing.
S- Smells slightly bready. More pronounced citrus and floral notes.
T- Tastes wonderful. Nice light spice and yeastiness with bread and fruit overtones. Slight bitterness at the end.
M- Medium body with medium to high carbonation, finishes quite dry.

Great saison, I would recommend this beer to anyone.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a Bottle that had chilled in the fridge for about an hour. A very hazy deep amber color was present in the glass at first but cleared up some as it sat. The taste is very vibrant in the mouth and consists of several zingy citrus fruits, a light hoppy character in the middle with a reminiscence of wheat grain, and finishes beautifully in a cascade of flavors that dance around the mouth well after swallowing. Personally, not my kind of flavored but a lot of care and attention has clearly been put into the brewing process for this one.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Surprised me, a very good beer. I could see this being a summertime fav.

3.44/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Smell initially is a little funk then sage, coriander, then very fruity pear. Love the nose on this one. Pours very effervescent with thick head, lots of carbonation. Slightly acidic mouthfeel with a finish that smacks of tart orange? Not as smooth or as complex as others. It's a decent saison, but I am surprised it's as popular as it is.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

I was surprised by the clarity of this bottle conditioned ale. (taking a sip) I was a little nervous about trying this because I am not a fan of the Ommegang. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. (sipping) A beautiful amber with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was a wonderful thick frothy white. The nose was a little harsh but that is do to the Belgian yeast. I am a hop lover. (sip and gulp) But the taste cuts through the nose and washes everything down with a clean and crisp mouth.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

I just can't figure this beer out - I think its a great beer, but I have a hard time articulating why I think that... This is the SECOND time that I have had this on-tap at home... The first time, I had a half-barrel - when I picked up that keg, it was already a number of months old... I don't recall the exact age, but I recall emailing the folks at Ommegang and they told me that this beer would age well... Anyway, the sedond time, I had this i in a log and it was more current... I think I preferred the first, older, version... This is just an unusual style... Sweet, carbonated and notes of honey. I dinged it a little bit for mouthfeel - I think you can sense the carbonation and relatively high alcohol... Even so, I just like it... A great beer, even if I can't say why I think so...

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang