Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer poured a beautiful brilliant orange into my La Fin Du Mond tulip stolen from a Quebec City hotel.

Smell-I think Saisons are some of the best smelling beers. I don't know what to compare their smell to, perhaps a fresh bag of nature. Mmmm, nature.

Taste- Tart citrus. Very crisp, does not linger on the palate. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel- I'm a big fan of tiny little bubbles, which this has. Kinda sticky afterwards.

Drinkability- Man, I would be trashed if if someone offered me one of these after exercising. It really hits the spot and if I were parched I do believe I would drain one of these before you could say Ommegang.

Ivanthehero, Oct 12, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Haven't seen Ommegang beers in very many places around my area until just the past few months. Interestingly enough I stopped in a random Dandy Mini mart (typical gas/convenience store) and as I was waiting to pay for my gas at the front I looked to the back of the store. To what to my surprise did I see, but yes, an Ommegang display rack. This surprised me because this place has always been your typical place to find deals on such things as Natty light and Busch. I don't know if it is selling in this locale, but hey, God bless them for trying.

Point is their beer is starting to pop-up everywhere in the Southern Tier not just in the better beer stores, and that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, about the beer. Although it wasn't my first time with a Hennepin saison and certainly not the last, it is the first time I've reviewed it. I purchased a bomber at the store around the corner from my home and chilled it for a couple of hours before consuming.

At first pour the frothy pure white head was abundant and survived throughout the drinking of the beer covering the hazy straw color of the liquid below. As for smell, I don't have the greatest of ability in this area, but to be sure there was nothing in the slightest bit "off "about this beer, and it was at least pleasant in that respect.

The taste had a very light sweetness to it and a definite clove, corriander, citrus undertone. Although it has a 7.5 abv it seemed much lighter in mouthfeel, something a "gulpper" (like I can sometimes be) should be wary of on a hot summer afternoon.

I definitely see myself buying this beer more often now that it is readily available. It is a great summer beer that is light and refreshing. AND at $4.99 retail, not a bad price for a very high quality product.

dragonbrew, May 30, 2006

ZehrAlte, May 05, 2013

flowbee, May 07, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

On Tap at a favorite beer bar.

Appearance: Pours somewhat whitish yellow color. Head adheres to the glass.

Smell: A very spicy beer. It has a different type of smell that is remarkably good.

Taste: I was expecting a strong, overpowering taste, but it was very drinkable and satisfying to the taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Smooth all the way. Very light and soft, providing a bit of tingly sensation with every sip.

Drinkability: Alcohol is hardly noticable with exceptional flavor.

This beer was a great find. After attending the Strong Ale fest in San Francisco this year, I really have taken to Strong Ales. I would recommend if you are looking to broaden your beer drinking scope. If you are not comfortable with drinking beer out of a something other than a pint glass, avoid this one.

2LBrew, Apr 05, 2007

RedJim, Nov 28, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Tops Liquor near ASU in Tempe.

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a freshness date into a stemless red wine glass. Left yeast sediment in the bottle.

Pours an hazy unfiltered gold color with a nice rocky head. The glass I poured it in is great for capturing the scent but hurts lacing, so I won't penalize it for that.

Very interesting smell. I'm new to this style but at first sniff I thought bananas like Hefeweizen. But it has an spicy sort of smell as well.

Taste is fruity and peppery at the same time. Bananas, lemons, and spice. Dry finish and makes my mouth pucker a little.

Mouthfeel is carbonated though I couldn't see the bubbles. Prickly on the tongue and a little bit acidy.

Drinkability is good. I could have several of these. They are very refreshing.

Overall, this was a real treat. It was cool to try a new style and I really liked it.

JollyToper, Jan 18, 2009

First pour in a challis. Mammoth head with tons of yeast, pepper and citrus on the nose which I can smell a foot away. Typically cloudy but lighter in color than some other beers in this style.

Very complex. Flavors are all over the place. Savory heat (cilantro or watercress maybe) on the tongue and a bubbly tingle in the mouth. A grainy malt texture blends well with the yeastiness which lingers but doesn't overpower the palate. A superior taste with an even better sensation in the pie hole.

Results from the second pour are almost the same. A little more heat as the beer has warmed up some.

Final pour. I allowed some of the yeast to flow into the glass. I can still taste it after ten minutes. Not the way to go for me. I have tried this before with a 11.2 ounce Belgian blonde and it worked well. So it's the type of beer, temperature or some combination of the two.

Overall I love this beer. It is my favorite saison and one of the best beers I have tried.

Note* I'm not a fan of a big grapefruit presence (probably because I don't like grapefruit) so take this into consideration if you use opinions as a guide.

Keginator70, Aug 04, 2014

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

BeerBobH, Jun 21, 2014

TheRaven, Sep 21, 2014
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml corked bottle. Color is hazy very light straw.
Nice Saison which is hard to believe it came from the US and not Belgium. Very citrus and orange flavor ale. The carbonation is very good-not too much or little, with a finger size foam lace at the top of a goblet. The mouthfeel is good with very slowly disapating foam. Very easy to drink but has a little alcohol kick to it. You can feel it as you drink (7% ABV) but you really feel it as it hits your head. Some beers have a delayed alcohol reaction-not this one. Don't drink on an empty stomach. This is a great beer to share with friends! My wife even liked it!

BruceBeerman, Jan 10, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +13%

750cl bottle -> chalice

A - Hazy yellow golden brew spreads its way into the chalice creating a beautiful pillowing of ivory head.

S - Spicy! Cloves, citrus, tart, honey...mmmm my mouth waits in excitement.

T - Hazzah! Citrus flavor mixed with a fall spices. Grapefruit and cloves dance their delicous dance across my tongue. Crisp and nice yeast and pepperly finish.

M - Light and crisp...saisons are some of my favorite summer drinks and I remember why.

D - Yessir may I have another? So so delicious and easy to drink. Polished off a bottle with a buddy halfway through "Rescue Me"..so shucks I had to open another. Try this out...especially if you already like Saisons.

Gregorious, Jul 07, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful light golden with a nice fluffy white head. Smells a bit of lemon and vanilla with some sourness and overall funkiness to it. The head has fantastic retention with very nice lacing to it. Outstanding flavor with notes of vanilla, lemon, and hay funkiness. There's a pleasant bit of hop bitterness at the end. This is a beer that I think is fantastic, but can't put my finger on why exactly. Does funky lemony vanilla hay sound good? Well no, but drink it sometime and you'll find that it actually tastes fantastic. The beer has such a nice smooth drinkability and alcohol is very well hidden. Highly recommended.

psurandy, May 15, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Dull golden yellow with a huge sticky white head that leaves it mark as you go.

Smell - Definitely has the saison funk going on. Has a certain spice and medicinal quality to it as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Sweetness and fruits up front but finishes off with the tartness and medicinal qualities you get from the smell, especially as it warms. Light to medium bodied, quite a bit of carbonation keeps the mouthfeel even more refreshing.

Drinkability - Balanced through and through a with the relatively low ABV it certainly makes for a drinkable beer.

RyWill, Sep 03, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Growler Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Translucent gold, with thin white foamy head which dissipates leaving a little lace.

S- Lots of yeast, some citrus notes.

T- Crisp yeasty, bready, earthy, some citrus acidity.

M- Champagne like, quite a bit of carbonation.

O- Pretty standard example of a saison, good but not great. I like this better from a bomber.

nassaubeercop, Jul 30, 2011