Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros

4.44/5  rDev +7%

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 750ml.

Appearance: Nice, crystal clear (was careful to leave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle) with a slighly orangeish copper color. Beautiful, fluffy head that stood almost 1 1/2 inches over the top of my glass. Head lasted a good long time and even when faded, left a good 1/4 inch on top of my beer.

Aroma; wonderful bittersweet aroma, somewhat honeylike but more like caramel just before it hits the burnt stage (its lost a lot of sweetness, but hasn't become overly bitter yet). Another whiff and I realize what it is. It is the smell of those candied almonds you can buy at fairs, but it is faint, just barely there. It's that moment when the wind brings just the essence of it your way, for just a second then it is gone. Also the aromas of lemon, yeast, and raw bread. Really enjoyable and very complex.

Taste: After all those aromas it would be easy to be let down by this beer, but I'm not. All those essences follow through in the flavor. What really comes through though is a lemon like tartness then flavors of malt, spices (clove and the slightest hint of cinnamon), yeast (in the form of raw bread dough) and ending with a slight tannic dryness similar to eating apple peels. After a minute or two the aftertaste develops into spice again, this time with black pepper predominating. There is also just the slightest hint of warmth from the higher alcohol content. I really love the complexity of this beer. It's got a lot of things going for it. The only drawback is that first initial drink. I found it to be just a little on the tart side, but overall this beer rocks.

There are a lot of things going on in this beer, so I don't know that this is a beer that you would drink glass after glass of. It could become fatiguing. Also with a slightly higher alcohol content 1 or 2 bottles and I would be ready to switch for the day, but only to come back again tomorrow.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap in a Hennepin tulip at the KC saucer.

A: pours a cloudy white straw color with ample head.
S: smells wonderful.. spicy corriander with a hint of alcohol.
T: a bit of hops up-front with some (unexpected) banana in the middle. Slight alcohol at the end and corriander throughout. I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Delicious.
M: lots of carbonation, but feels a bit.. full and flat on the tongue. Carbonation is apparent in the back of the mouth.
D: I can kick this back like it's water.. but it is so good I choose not to.

Random: I don't remember the banana from the bottle. Definitely more delicious as it warms.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

I've had this on tap and from a 750 mL bottle. Unfortunately for the review I'm using the 750 poured into goblet.

A--Pours a golden hue with a bit of yeasty haze. Big fluffy full white head that slowly diminishes to a thick sticky lace.

S--Tangy honey scent at the nose with a peppery phenolic kick.

T--Very winey honey taste at the start with a nice acidic nose. The finish has some floral notes with hints of pepper, grass, citrus, and earth. Beautifully complex.

M--Medium bodied with perfect carbonation which complements the acidic bite in the taste.

D--7.7% so not a session beer, but I could drink this all day. Just perfect anytime of year. I could also see it as a great food pairing.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The beer has a thick, chunky, and very foamy head - some bubbles are large enough to be iridescent, and the whole thing has the look of ocean spray frozen in time. The nose is redolent of lemon candy, wheat fields, and a tiny hint of exceptionally tidy barn. Upon tasting this beer, I involuntarily exclaimed "oh my fucking god" - It's utterly sublime. Juicy fresh-squeezed lemonade accompanied by hints of carrot cake, white peppercorns, and maybe even a tiny tinge of nose-searing russian mustard. As the taste develops, the strong alchol notes and the copious phenols kick in, with a taste very much like banana bread or fried plantains. It's like a beer equivalent of a gruner veltliner, in all of the best ways imaginable. Despite the high alcohol, it goes down almost more like juice or 7-up - it is just fiendishly drinkable. It leaves a sticky, starchy and very dry feeling in your mouth after a while, which of course just makes you want more.

Overall, this is one of the best damn things that has ever entered my mouth, beer or otherwise - and hands-down the best Saison i've tried (though Surly cynic comes close). I originally wasn't planning on reviewing this beer, but it was so ridiculously good that I felt utterly compelled to share the experience.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Very light yellow, quite hazy. Has a substantial white head and pretty significant lacing.

S - The mild grassy aroma is overwhelmed by the scent of booze. It's much too medicinal smelling for my taste.

T - Very bright and crisp with a subtle spiciness. The zing from the hops provides a nice kick and brings it all together.

M - Smoother and fuller bodied than I was expecting. It's still light like a saison should be, but it's more satisfying too.

D - Smooth and easy going. Didn't fill me up at all. I could keep going with this one for awhile.

Notes - A really flavorful and complex saison that's not afraid to be different or take a few chances. Luckily, those chances pay off.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This is my first beer of the style.

A: Light, golden color. Brighter (almost luminescent) than a pilsner. Large, fluffy head that overflows out of my 22oz glass.

S: Floral scent, Citrus fruits; very pleasant overall.

T: The citrus taste mirrors the smell, it has a kind of richness that I can't really place. Takes a little bit to get into the taste, maybe because this is my first saison but about halfway through the beer I was like "wow." Very very tasty.

M: Seems light at first but as stated above there is a certain richness to it. Excellent palate experience.

D: I found myself getting a little full at the end of this glass, but very satisfying. 7.7% abv is invisible.

Extremely happy with how this turned out. At $9.49/4 pk it's not a steal, but well worth it.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Amazing head on top of a dark yellow body launches up to the top of the glass and hangs out forever, ending its long life in a spiderweb of beauty. Glass is soapy all the way down. This beer could not look any more inviting.

S: Mint, orange, wheat, lemon, and funk.

T: I've had only a handful of Saison-styled beer, but this is heads and shoulders above all of them. Citrus and funk define an amazing blast of flavor that is not at all shy. What a magnificent work of art this beer is!

M: Sharp kick of carbonation is as good as it gets. Wish the citrus flavors would stick around longer in my mouth rather than the funk, but that's the only possible complaint I could generate.

D: I could slam these until I pass out. Delicious.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: A thick, foamy white head sits atop a slightly brown, cloudy yellow beer. Eventually the head settles to a respectable layer that takes most of the lacing with it, leaving a decently clean glass.

Smell: Banana. And some earthy tones. That's all I can say about this beer.

Taste: Banana, spice, and a bit of earthy/grassy tones.

Mouthfeel: Clean, smooth, and slightly frothy.

Drinkability: Absolutely.