Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) - Brewery Ommegang

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) Alström Bros
3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

This is the first Hennepin I've had in quite a while. I used to drink it often before I moved to the bible belt.

Appearance: straw colored, cloudy with an appropriate head for this style. Some lacing.
Smell: Seems right on. Undescribable, but appropriate to style. Smells musty?
Taste: Finishes sweet for a second, then bone dry.
Mouthfeel: Surprisingly full. Coats the tongue
Drinkability: I like it, but certainly not a session beer. Drank it with korean food tonight and it worked pretty well. Most Korean dishes have some sweet and some hot elements, so the sweetness of the beer and the spiciness fit in.

Overall, I will be glad to get the Ommegang line back here in NC. They are really doing fine work up there at Cooperstown. I sure do love their price point, too.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Having been to the Ommegang Brewery (Cooperstown, NY) in the recent past, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised to find all of their products locally, upon returning to Florida.

During our tour, we tried Hennepin and I was impressed. So, I decided to grab a bottle and try it again, at home (standard bottle, pilsner glass).

It poured wonderfully and showed off an impressive yellow/amber color. The head was plentiful and lasted well into the review.

Upon lifting the glass to my nose, the aroma was strong, but pleasant (spicy, citrusy).

Hennepin has a smooth start and a decent amount of cabonation. To me, the spices become more evident in the middle and the finish, but not overly so. All in all, a smooth experience from start to finish.

I have since bought several bottles to keep on hand, and I would definitely recommend this beer to all.

4.11/5  rDev -1%

This is the first Saison Iv'e tried. A 24 oz bottle, drank out of a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden color, tons of bubbles, 2 finger head and a meringue top that lasts the whole way.

Smell: Sweet citrus/dry champagne

Taste: Wow. This is tough for me. It's dry, but almost sweet. It sounds contradictory, but it's both.

Mouthfeel: Incredible. For me, perfect carbonation. Again contradiction, very smooth but not.

Drinkability: Drinks easier than beers with lower abv's. I absolutely loved it. One more please.

Overall: For someone who usually sticks to ipa's and such, I'm totally glad that I tried this beer style. I think I may have found a new favorite.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I had been looking for this back in Pennsylvania but finally found it when I was away on vacation in Michigan. I picked up a bottle of this and was very excited to try it; I had heard lots of great things about it.

Appearance: Cloudy and light gold in color, lacing was rather light.

Smell: Citrus (very lemony) and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Hops in the finish, a little bit bready, somewhat sweet as well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, I have my mom a taste of this and she thought it really reminded her of how champagne felt in her mouth (which I would agree with). Fairly light as well.

Drinkability: I liked this beer quite a bit, but I found that I wouldn't be able to drink a whole lot of this in one sitting like I would with some other styles.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honey malts, grassy and lemon flavors, and an earthy dryness are the signature of this beer. You can also find banana and little clove along with a slight bitterness. The smell is of spicy honey and grain. This cloudy yellow beer beer is one of best in style that I've ever had.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. The beer has a thick, chunky, and very foamy head - some bubbles are large enough to be iridescent, and the whole thing has the look of ocean spray frozen in time. The nose is redolent of lemon candy, wheat fields, and a tiny hint of exceptionally tidy barn. Upon tasting this beer, I involuntarily exclaimed "oh my fucking god" - It's utterly sublime. Juicy fresh-squeezed lemonade accompanied by hints of carrot cake, white peppercorns, and maybe even a tiny tinge of nose-searing russian mustard. As the taste develops, the strong alchol notes and the copious phenols kick in, with a taste very much like banana bread or fried plantains. It's like a beer equivalent of a gruner veltliner, in all of the best ways imaginable. Despite the high alcohol, it goes down almost more like juice or 7-up - it is just fiendishly drinkable. It leaves a sticky, starchy and very dry feeling in your mouth after a while, which of course just makes you want more.

Overall, this is one of the best damn things that has ever entered my mouth, beer or otherwise - and hands-down the best Saison i've tried (though Surly cynic comes close). I originally wasn't planning on reviewing this beer, but it was so ridiculously good that I felt utterly compelled to share the experience.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Crisp golden color with just a hint of haze. Pours with several inches of white head that quickly diminishes around the glass but stays peaked in the middle. Very little lacing.

S - Smells sweet, citrusy and yeasty, but is missing a good saison funk.

T - Sweet and spicy up front and finishes dry and peppery with just a slight alcohol taste.

M - A nice medium body with quite a bit of carbonation.

D - I could drink this saison all the time and with Ommegang's great beers being so low priced it's a possibility.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip just now!!! A beautiful 2 finger head that slowly falls leaving perfect lacing. Smell is of grass and earth with some light citrus notes. Taste is unreal!!! So wonderful and crisp and so many complexities. There is a ton of earthy, citrus and funky things going on with this one. I can't imagine a much better Saison than this example. (and it's from NY???) Wow, this is so almost perfect in every way. It hides the 7.7% ABV so well and dare I say, this may be a session beer! Another great job from Ommegang! Crisp, funky, earthy, PERFECT!!!

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Cloudy pale yellow with a large 3 finger head.

S: Citrus, alittle acidic, some spices and fruits.

T: Lots of citrus. Alittle sweet but very mellow. Also tastes slightly acidic, but as it warms becomes much more balanced.

M: Medium carbonation

D: Very drinkable, easy to have more than one. Alcohol is well hidden.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark gold, medium sized uneven white head. A lot of bubbles, a lot of carbonation. Has a citrusy smeel, very fresh smellin.g Very rich and foamy mouthfeel, full smooth taste. vey slight bitter aftertaste, pretty sweet taste. nice lacing on the glass.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours a nice amber with a beautiful frothy head.

The smell reminds me of summertime. It's nice and light and citrusy with some yeast funkyness.

The taste is refreshing and spicy and sweet with just a touch of hops to balance it out. Nicely carbonated and each sip begs for another. It's an easy drinker but one that has enough complexity not to get boring.

Overall this is a great saison and a beer that I've gone back to time and again. Another home run for Ommegang.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

poured into Sam Adams tasting glass. The beer has a light straw color with slight haze and light wispy head that disappears fast. There is a pronounced yeasty nose with a hint of lemon and much less sourness than some of this style. There is some tartness and a minor hop finish. Another fine Ommegang.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have to say I love the labels on the Ommegang beers, they are classy and very modern, I dig it.

Slow poured into a tulip glass, mildly cloudy yellow with a persistent bubbly, creamy head. Looks fantastic.

I get strong aromas of grape and banana mostly along with touches of exotic spices, some yeasty notes.

The taste is wonderfully smooth, not overboard with the fruitiness but enough to have an obvious presence. Very crisp tasting beer, finishes well with banana flavors towards the tail end.

Feels like I might as well be drinking champagne. Very elegant beer, would love to try this again.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic fantastic beer. Great Saison very light and refreshing beer could enjoy any time of year any time of day fantastic odor and fantastic taste. Has an amazing mouth feel and one of the best farmhouse's I have ever had. Everything I have had at ommegang is amazing and this is no different

Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison) from Brewery Ommegang