Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,691 | Hads: 4,232

My dad passed away a couple of years ago. He was a very enthusiastic fellow about many things, one of which was fruitcake (yeah, I know). In the fruitcake family, at least the way he made it, was pecan whiskey cake. Even people who hate fruitcake loved his pecan whiskey cake. This beer reminds me of that cake - dark, dried fruity, accompanied by the pleasant presence of alcohol, etc.. Whenever I drink this beer, I think of my dad and his enthusiasm for making unusual desserts. (481 characters)

L: Hazy chestnut, 2-3” persistent foam cap
S: Fruit, spice, banana, dark fruit cake, biscuit.
T: Dates, fig, spice, fruit and spice, cardamom with hints of banana. No harsh roast or burnt flavors. A touch sweet but well balanced
F: Medium body, smooth, very creamy fine soft carbonation.
O: One of the best in the class. (328 characters)

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark, unfiltered, coppery-red color. About two fingers of thick head with lacing that sticks around.

S - Uhh...apple, raisin, caramel, bread, maybe banana. Rich malts. Just lots of great smells, one of the best smelling beers I've had.

T - Very complex, with a lot of the smells present in the taste, maybe even a bit of a chocolate addition. Smoky, with some cherry, or maybe figs or something. Wow.

M - Pretty nice. Rich and complex, but not the oily type of texture you might expect. Full-bodied and goes down well. Medium carbonation.

O - This is one of the best I've had. Such a complex beer, it makes me picture a brewer in the middle ages just tossing in anything he liked the taste of, with it happening to turn out wonderfully. Definitely will chase down more from Ommegang. (842 characters)

wow! I can't believe i waited so long to try this one. Outstanding offering reminiscent of Westy8 in my opinion.
Poured a deep hazy brown with hints of ruby/copper. It boasted a 2inch off white head that was fairly creamy with a touch of fizz to it that dwindled slowly and left lacing throughout. Aroma was chocolate and fruity with hints of port and raisin. The tatse is a big malt punch layered with chocolate and raisin. very fruity but not overly sweet at all. the fruit tastes were so well blended I could not pick any particular one out. The mouthfeel was full bodied and left a slight warming from the alcohol which was well hidden. almost too hidden which made this one even easier to drink. excellent (711 characters)

Dam! This is just a fantastic beer. This is the first perfect beer I have drank. This is as good or better than any Belgian Ale I have tried.

Uncorked the beer at 50 degrees F and poured into a wide mouth goblet. Sweet floral smells danced into my nose. OhYeah!

Appearance: This beer pours a murky ruby brownish coloration. The head was ruby tinged and towered above the beer. The head settled down into a luxurious foam on the surface of the beer. Lacing plays down the side of the glass. Just perfect.

Smell: The beer has a spicy candy sweet introduction. As the intial greeting is at an end fruity sweetness stretches the smell further. The beer has a funky musty smell that is very pleasing.

Taste: The taste lives up to the smell. The intial taste is a yeasty sweet fruity experience. The taste ends with almost bone dryness.

Mouthfeel: This is a full bodied well carbonated treat. The beer is definately a smooth chewy mouthfull.

Drinkability: This beer is just absolutely incredible. I was wishing the bottle would never end.

Just to restate this was an incredible beer drinking experience. This beer is as good or better than all the Belgians I have drank. I am amazed that it is an American Micro Brew. I am sure you could Pepsi challenge knowledgeable beer drinkers and they could not pick the American brew verses the Belgian beer. Dam this beer is good!

1/29/06 Today I had the good fortune to drink a Ommegang Abbey ale that was cave aged from March 4, 2004 through September 30th 2004. The beer was everything I said it was above; however, I think the beer is even smoother at this time. I dont know if cave aging is just a gimmick but I liked it. (1,688 characters)

Pours out a dark ruby/brownish color with a tannish head. Some lacing was left on the glass, but not really that much. Nose was wonderful. All you need to do is just take a whiff and you'll get a bunch of aromas. Dark fruit, lots of spices yet there's a candy-like sweetness that goes along with the spiciness. Everything mellows together in here. This is also one of the better beer's I've tasted yet. Apples, banana, and other fruit stand out the most, along with a sweetness to go along with it. It's not cloying at all. The cave aging really mellows out this beer and all the flavors come together so well. This is only my second all 5s for a beer, and this beer deserves it. Truly an experience. (And worth the money) (722 characters)

*Cave Aged Ommegang*

I first tried Ommegang back in August 2004 and it instantly became my favorite beer. It has obtained somewhat of a clut status among m friends and roommates. We all love it. Thanks to a visit by Ommegang to the Wine Gallery in Brookline, MA for a tasting session, this beer was available for purchase. Lucky me!

I am giving this beer all 5's because I find no flaws in it at all. This is also the first beer I am awarding all 5's to. Poured from a 750mL bottle. The color is beautiful. Dark ruby color with a tan/orange head. The amount of carbonation is just right. The aroma is top notch as well. Sweet, caramel malts with light citrusy hops. Apples and pears stand out above all. The taste is even fruitier than the aroma suggests. Tons of apples, pears, plums, raisins, and berries. It's balanced nicely though by the rich malts. The smooth mouthfeel lets you sip it with ease until the bottle is empty. I could drink this everyday and all day.

Compared to regular Ommegang that has not been cave-aged, this beer has a little more complexity in the aroma and taste. The fruity aspect of it really comes to life. It's just a notch above the regular version. Could this be the ULTIMATE BEER?!?! It's simply the best beer I've ever had so far. Second to none.

Oh my god, OMMEGANG! (1,314 characters)

Perfection!

Profound belgian-style characteristics. Very rich and intricate flavor, clove, bannana, caramel, alcohals & bitters. Dark red-copper, very active carbonation and an aggitated head. Find the corked bottle. Drink slowly, deeply, enjoy. This is a living beer. (278 characters)

Whoa… I wasn’t even done pouring this before I had to stop and smell it. It smells AMAZING! I don’t even want to drink it, just smell it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you can smell right now… as you read this.

From the looks of the bottle, you would think this beer comes from somewhere overseas. Granted, this is based on a Belgian recipe, but is brewed right here in New York City. It’s actually brewed in Cooperstown. I have been to Cooperstown, but was too young to remember this brewery being there. I am sure we drove right past it.

The bottle warns you to pour slow not to disrupt the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Speaking of the bottle, it’s HUGE! What’s with all these beers being in these large bottles? Who cares… it’s 8.5% ABV so I’m not complaining. The beer, once poured (slowly remember) has a nice thick head. It’s also appears to be somewhat thick in the glass. Let’s see what this Abbey Ale tastes like.

At first… it is extremely smooth, almost sweet. Then you are hit with a faint carbonation on the front of the palate. Before long you are feeling the sweetness crawl all the way down your throat. Then… after you sit there for a few seconds, as the aftertaste leaves your mouth… you can’t help but want another drink. I just heard Sheryl say, “It’s so thick!”

The aftertaste on this beer is incredible. I have never sampled a drink (beer or other) that has done so much along the way. The smells are intense, filled with those spices everyone talks about. Then the initial flavors… it just gets better and better. This beer is incredible! If you like beer, any kind of beer… grab a bottle of this. Bottoms up people, this beer is good. (1,711 characters)

Appearance: Fluffy tan head. Opaque mahogany with topaz highlights.
Aroma: Toffee, caramel and Belgian yeast.
Taste: Wheat berries, almonds, dates, golden raisins & lightly toasted malts.
Mouthfeel: Creamy and fluffy. (217 characters)

Poured into a chalice. Pours deep caramel brown with a biege head. The head dissipates slowly, leaving no lace. A cap of head retains forever and leaves some on the side of the glass during consumption. The beer has the typical Belgian dubbel smell. It has the smell of dark candi sugar, Belgian yeast, malt, and dark fruits. The beer tastes like an authentic Belgian dubbel. There are the bready malts, dark candi sugar, dark fruits (prune and raisin), and Belgian yeast flavors that really come through without tasting too heavy. This is superb. The alcohol is well hidden in the taste as well. The body is full with adequate carbonation. The beer is smooth and dry in the finish. This is an excellent beer and the best American made dubbel I've ever tried. (759 characters)

A masterpiece from Ommegang, this Belgian strong dark ale is more than worthy to bear the company's name. First turned onto it by a friend who was watching the 2004 Yankees home opener from afar, this incredible brew is very well presented, packed with flavors, rich in color and, despite the high alcohol count (8.5% ABV) eminently drinkable. The deep reddish brown color is very enticing, as is the foamy, durable head it produces. The taste is an incredible melange of fruits, chocolates and spices, with a berry flavor mixing with chocolate, caramel, toffee flavor, cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.

I cannot say enough positive about this beer, which may well be my favorite. The Mona Lisa of Belgian Strong Dark Ales in the US. Five stars, hands down. (754 characters)

This beer is exceptional! It's a malt lover's dream ... malty/butter nose and a delicious malty/buttery taste ... effervescent in the mouth.

The entire experience is rich ... luscious. Ommegang (brewed in the shadow of the National Baseball Hall of Fame) hits the grand slam with this brew.

Simply superior. (309 characters)

This is my first beer from Ommegang. Let's see if my choice was a good one!

A- Thick, creamy tan head that seemed to expand like a souffle' upon pouring. Color was a deep, murky brown, with hues of red surfacing from the light.

Smell- Extremely rich, and sweet aroma. The most prominent smell I picked up on was similar to banana, oddly enough. Backing that were notes of sweet, roasted malts.

Taste- Holy hell, where to begin? A complexity of fruits, sweet bread, and malts splash on my tongue...this is one amazing beer!

Mouthfeel- Creamy, and with a full body. Carbonation was minimal.

Drinkability- I could easily drink a four pack of this stuff...hell, maybe even six if I was feeling daring.

I must say, this is an amazing beer. Even as an IPA lover, this has really turned me on to the style. I look forward to trying Ommegang's other beers in the future. (868 characters)

#222/1,716
I'm a great big fan of Ommegang, and now I have the Cave-Aged at hand ready for inspection..

.Appearance: same dark, muddy, burgundy brown, more reddish in direct light, and with a small, dunnish head.

Aroma: a touch more mellow than the fresher version, (which I've just consumed, by the way, for the purposes of this study, of course!) but a magnificent melange, even if it does need time to unfold. Rich, dark, fruity flavors present themselves, raisins, plum, fig, grapes, spices, chocolate. It's a deep, dank morass of fruity goodness. And now to taste...

Mouthfeel is unwordly...thick doesn't start to describe it! This beer takes over the mouth, the tongue, the apex of all senses is overcome. It commands, and must be paid tribute to! ...I'm still reeeling! I initiate another sip with trepidation...am I ready? Yes, I am...Hops are a large, fruity charge,then malt takes over, occupies, dominates, fully engorges everything in ways only pleasant! Again, I must pause, reflect, wait...now, to sip anew...thick, lush, full,...an intoxicatingly flavorful sensation! I'm in too much pleasure, to be sure! I've got 1/2 the bottle to go? Wished I'd saved it for another, more communal, convivial occasion, to make more people happy. Maybe some other time, if it's possible?

It's an incredible mix of all things dark and beery and fruity and alcoholy and...really, my question is thuswise: if I gave regular Ommegang 5 stars, can I give this one 6?

No? Why not? Oh, it's amazing! Not merely the strength and potency gives it it's formidable quality, but the everflowing flavor! Ranks among the finest brews ever brewed, alongside every trappists monk's secret concoction. Hail to thee, Ommegang!
Once again, you knocked my every sock off!

(So much thanks to purplehops for the oppurtunity to drink this ambrosia!)
The Cave did it's work well. This is one kick@$! beer! (1,902 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +20.6%

poured into a small chalice.

Appearance - dark amber with 2-finger beautiful lacey head that is still clinging to the glass after the beer is gone. Looks like a crown sitting above this true King of Beers. the head adds a slight creamyness that is perfect.

Smell - a dubbel scent with a very unique strong twist. Dark fruit. some soapyness comes through. fantastic, couldn't decide whether to keep sniffing or finally dive in.

taste - Amazing. unique, but still very much a classic, IDEAL Dubbel Abbey Ale. Complex, rich. Date sugar, a touch of coriander, spicey alcohol, slight hoppy zing near the end to balance the strong malt. tiny dry finish, yet sweet. heaven. Rests heavy in the stomach, i wouldn't suggest drinking this if you've eaten too recently.

mouthfeel - silky. great.

overall - I was blown away by this beer. automatically without question on my top 5 now. couldn't believe I got this for a measly $2.29. and at 8.2%, I'm feeling great! Tastes like a $6 bottle beer to me! Time to go back and stock up on this gem. (1,036 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Ommegang Abbey Ale has an extremely thick, creamy, fluffy, beige head and a semi-opaque, bubbly, amber appearance, with lots of lacing left behind. There is a huge amount of sediment floating about the beer. Aroma is of fruit, citrus, spice, sugar, malt, and caramel. Taste is of spicy yeast, fruit, citrus, lemon, spice, bitterness, sugar, barley malt, bread, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium, and Ommegang Abbey Ale finishes sweet, boozy, and surprisingly easy drinking. Overall, this is a wonderful, outstanding beer. One of the best out there.

RJT (552 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

No sense equivocating, this beer is excellent! I find it a pleasure to enjoy such a fine brew, not too much of anything that disagrees with me, yet bold. Unashamedly bold! I see that this Ommegang Abbey Ale has been reviewed many times, and I hesitate to review one of our fine beverages that so many others have disected and nearly unanimously enjoyed, but this beer is special, a fine dubbel. The flavors have hints of so many real and imagined fine assets, banana, caramel, molasses, alcohol even citrus. It's all in there, waiting to be released and enjoyed. On any given day, this beer can deserve a 100 score, but that would be perfect, and until you try it I'll leave perfection at 98 and I would be happy to try again, and again, and again to find perfection, but Ommegang has found a close fly by to the magical elusive perfection. (840 characters)

12 oz bottle

Appearance - Pours a very deep copper/red color. Very bubbly 2 finger head that leaves a thick film throughout. Nice lacing on my glass.

Smell - Very complex with lots of fruit, some caramel and honey in there too.

Taste - Again, complex. Lots of fruit notes with a nice sweetness that lingers for a while. A bit warming, but I don't get a strong alcohol/booze taste off of it.

Mouthfeel - Very crisp. High carbonation with a somewhat dry finish.

Overall - This is a great beer. Tried a 12 oz bottle rather than picking up a larger 750ml bottle. I'll definitely be picking up a larger bottle to try really soon. (629 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Belgian ale glass. ~45 degrees F or so, 10 minutes out of the fridge. Enjoyed over spaghetti with sweet sausage, while catching up on Walking Dead. Picked up for 9.99 for a 12 oz.- 4 pack.

Looks- Settles into an attractive chestnut burgundy with medium carbonation and good head formation, the head is a khaki tan. The last of the bottle pours with what looks to be a small amount of sedimentation. Head dies down at a medium pace, and drinking brings a nice lacing that stays for about 30 seconds.

Nose- Sweet molasses, clove, fresh bread, so much more behind it. An excellent nose, it certainly picks up where words leave off. I definitely recommend serving this in a glass that allows you to enjoy this delectable nose.

Taste and mouthfeel- Sweet fruit: plums, cherries, pears, and more. Bright, sugary molasses, medium bodied, boozy on exhalation. Sweet fruity flavor stands alongside a warming bready flavor. No bitterness to speak of. Just enough carbonation, dangerously drinkable at 8.5% ABV.

Overall- World-class, without a shadow of a doubt. Deliciously fruity without nearing pungency. A score for anyone who loves a good Belgian Ale. Just 30 minutes and it was gone, but I'm certain to be back! (1,238 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow! Had this a few times over the years and, who knows what I was thinking, this ale made no impression on me. Tried it again for maybe the third or fourth time while comparing domestic dubbels the other night and, good heavens!, oh what I've been missing.

The only thing lacking - and I'm being really picky here - is maybe a nicer-looking head (shrug). The head poured finger-width and dense with a peculiar almost peanut butter hue to it, but it collapsed down into a sudsy foam that stayed, but lost face. Underneath, the ale shined in a deep purplish red - best I can compare it with is tyrian (or royal, or imperial) purple.

The nose (as well as the rest of it) was complex and dazzling. Quite a few words/smells come to mind: vinous (in fruit and alcohol), malty, whiskey, softly campfirey, and strawberry licorice. I stuck my nose in the glass more times than I sipped the damn thing.

Some of those aromas carry over into the flavor and others emerge. Dried fruit - prunes or cherries, deep and rich. I couldn't help but think of spice cake. Some dried orange peel toward the back as well.

Expertly blended, none of the flavors go too far nor are the fruity sugars remotely cloying. Everything rounds off beautifully in each sip. It's to be savored, if you have the patience. Little bit of warmth in the finish makes this a smart choice as an after-dinner/dessert drink. (1,383 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

I worked long and hard to be able to get this beer in my beloved southern Illinois. Brewery Ommegang is beautiful and produces wonderful small batch ales.

A: Pours a deep amber color with a couple fingers of a bready head that dissipates leaving a thin persistent head with lacing up the glass.

S: Caramel sweetness, citrusy hops, other fruits come out as the beer approaches the proper temperature - I swear I can smell bananas in there. The light spiciness I've come to expect compliments the fruity sweetness in there.

T: Nothing to really add here. The taste follows the smell. It's a roller coaster between the multiple sources of sweetness and spiciness. Absolutely incredible!!

M: Medium/heavy body but nothing harsh. Smooth yet chewy with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable!! Would I drink more? Hell yes!! I believe everyone should experience this one. I would even say you should share this with a friend. The entire 750ml bottle weighing in at 8.5% ABV is leaving me feeling good! (1,025 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Hadn't written a review on this beer before now, but suffice to say Ommegangs Abbey Ale is probably my favorite beer.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice dark color with good head. Smells of apple, yeast, malt, and everything nice.

First sip has good carbonation but isn't harsh at all. Alcohol is masked well behind full favors of this beer.

Very drinkable and overall one if the best. (400 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

This beer lead me to find Beer Advocate. On a trip to Boston, one of the restaurants had it on tap and it was superb - the best been I've had in a long time. Up until this time, the standard Guinness Drought was my favorite but no longer.

Appearance was a dark brown with a full head that lasted.
Smell was malty and full, some hint of fruit - like raisins, and slightly sweet.
Taste was superb - smooth, no bitterness, sweet and some caramel - as good as the smell.
This was a great brew to drink and opened my eyes to trying more american brewed dark brews.

I have also had it from a bottle, which wasn't nearly the samw experience, yet still a great drink. (661 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Florence NJ

A / 4.35 rDev +5.3%

Great dark plum/peat moss color with good thick yeasty head—almost two full fingers. (I also noticed the wicked carbonation while examining the color after pouring into my glass—it's just releasing CO2 until the last sip, causing that great thick head.)

Smelled of fig/earthy fruits with a nice malty spice and some soil-type freshness.

Tastes just like it smells-earthy fruit, good musky sweetness with tobacco/clove layers. Alcohol is there but not boozy; just a powerful, smooth finish, with good hearty body, but not Saturnine in density. Low hops, but enough to give off a slight grassy/leafy scent to cause some olfactory taste crossover.

One of the best Belgians I've ever had. Very complex depth and variety of sweetness. Satisfying to the taste-buds the whole way down. I like it with anything (902 characters)

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang