2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,433 | Reviews: 1,618 | Show All Ratings:
constantine_272

Oregon

3.29/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Notes from after the fact. I just plain didn't jive with this beer. The licorice ruined it for me. This beer came off as tasting like root vegetables with potato and turnip. The sweetness of the chocolate malt flavor and the twang of the licorice with vegetable notes just didn't go together. Licorice and anise spice lingered long after. There were other redeeming qualities like a great body and a nice porter-like woodiness that I appreciated, but I couldn't get past the bad parts. And I'm even a fan of licorice an anise, just not in my beer apparently.

04-11-2014 00:58:05 | More by constantine_272
Zetcha7x

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

750mL caged and corked bottle purchased from Capone's in East Norriton. Poured into a nameless tulip glass.

A-solid amber color, almost brown. huge tan head with great retention. carb bubbles rising throughout. spotty lacing. great looking beer.

S-dark fruits, raisins, maybe cherries?, Belgian yeast, sweet malts, mild alcohol.

T-very complex. sweet but spicy. dark fruits. grapes. Belgian spices. definitely pick up on the "rum" flavor others have mentioned.

M-strong carbonation. warming alcohol. medium bodied. creamy.

O-very nice beer. wish it was in 12oz'ers. I'd be fine with one of those, but I am a sucker for a corked bottle anyway. this is definitely ones of those beers that improves as it warms. the bottle even lets you know to serve it a 50 degrees. I'm not usually a fan of US takes on Belgians ales, but this is one of the best. a complex but very drinkable beer. just beware the 750mL can go down very easily and the 8.2% ABV can sneak up on you quickly.

03-21-2014 00:53:22 | More by Zetcha7x
Fear4Beer

Delaware

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I bought the 12oz bottle version (they also have a 750ml corked bottle version). I served it in a tall wheat beer glass. This beer pours a beautiful reddish brown color. The flavor of this beer is mysterious at times but it is delicious. It is so smooth and the mouth feel is fantastic. The beer itself says that it is brewed with licorice root, star anise, sweet orange peel, coriander, and cumin. Imagine all those flavors then imagine it tasting nothing like that. When I think of licorice root and star anise I think of a very powerful and unique flavor. This beer is so expertly crafted that you can't pinpoint anyone of those flavors. It is balanced so well, everything just meshes together into one pleasant taste. This beer is malted, tastes like dark fruits, it has hardly any detectable bitter hops present at all (its malty), its not overly sweet, but you will taste a slight zing from the alcohol (its 8.2%). The alcohol can be tasted but it is not overwhelming.

Quite frankly this beer is a masterpiece. If you are a hop hater (like I am) you will most likely enjoy this beer. This is a malty beer all the way. It is light and freshening. I see this as a beer that can be enjoyable all year round.

I'm so glad I tried this!

03-20-2014 03:38:09 | More by Fear4Beer
a0lbudman

Alabama

4.36/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Clear brown color with a large tan head that lingers and leaves a heavy lace
S-sweet caramel malt with coriander and some spice
T-Sweet caramel malt with a spice aftertaste
M-medium body and high carbonation
O-this beer went down real fast, I could not just sip it.

03-06-2014 00:17:06 | More by a0lbudman
eldraque39

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A : rich brown, thick tan head
S: sharp, hints of vanilla & licorice; a sniff gets your attention, for sure
T lots of flavor, real smooth, absolutely lovely
M: tiny bubbles, not too heavy, nice balance
O: just delicious. An evening reading a good book and downing a bomber is blissful.

03-02-2014 04:00:37 | More by eldraque39
dank203

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

sort of a grape bomb, little cough syrupy. might be a HINT off, doesn't fail the beer though. is reminiscent of Belgians. same body, bite, yeast flavors. haven't had many ommegangs. had this at a local bar. hope to see some of their other stuff on tap too

03-01-2014 03:18:51 | More by dank203
BeerImmediately

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

How have I not reviewed this before? I've had this on draft in my house! Shame on me...

Served in a tall, slender pint glass at Michael Jordan's in Chicago. Poured with a short head (as expected for a bar) over a mostly opaque deep orange-to-amber body. Great lacing.

Aromas are sweet, fruity, and very appealing. Lots of cherry, and a woft of alcohol. Sweet bready, yeasty quality as it warms.

Incredibly smooth on the palate. This is a creamy Dubbel. Flavors are dominated by sweet cherry and a kiss of lime. Some tangy tree fruits in the finish. There is a definite cordial quality left on the breath in the aftertaste.

Terrific beer that I really need to stop overlooking in the beer store just because "I've had it before"

02-26-2014 02:27:25 | More by BeerImmediately
Roguer

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Massive, massive light tan firm head from a gentle pour, with incredible retention. Brew flows as a lighter red-brown ale, but settles in the glass as a fairly dark brown with purple highlights. Beer is very clear and clean, and is nearly transparent.

Aroma hits you with prunes from a distance. Other notes are Belgian yeast, soda, wheat bread, raisins, spices (cumin in particular), and a bit of dry alcohol. Complex.

Taste is significantly less sweet than the aroma implied; maybe the driest, least sweet Dubbel I've ever had. Dry, earthy bread is the main flavor, followed by citrus peel and spices. Dark fruit stays in the background, like flat fruitcake.

Lively sting and slight foaming with a dry finish; medium feel overall. Subdued alcohol presence that only makes itself known via a slight warming effect.

Liquid bread, or liquid fruitcake. This is a good beer, and enjoyable, but very disappointing for me. It's not up to the standard I'm used to from Ommegang, and it's probably my least favorite Dubbel from a reputable brewer.

02-17-2014 20:33:18 | More by Roguer
Andrew041180

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a beautiful ruby brown into a Chimay chalice. A nice foamy head bubbles up and retains throughout, supported by a strong geyser of carbonation streaming up the center of the glass. The beer is mostly clear, with a bit of haze. No lacing.

S - Mild dark fruit sweetness. Little bit of yeast. Hard for me to explain this one.

T - Follows the nose. However, where I expected a darker, damper flavor, I got a real vibrant, almost tart experience. The dark fruit is there, as are some yeasty notes. Really good.

M - Perfect. Soft with supporting carbonation. Slightly dry and a slight tingle on the tongue. Medium bodied and sumptuous.

O - This is the best beer I've had in quite some time. This is also one of the more expensive bottles I've purchased in a while, and I'm strongly considering trying to find a way to get some volume at a lower price. Highly recommend.

02-17-2014 12:53:27 | More by Andrew041180
Chiefy770

4.14/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 fluid ounce bottle into a chalice. "Best by" date of 10/20/15 printed on the bottle.

Appearance: A hazy reddish-brown body sat under a towering beige head. Pretty good lacing throughout.

Nose: Sweet malts. Dark fruit. Lighter notes of spice and a minor trace of alcohol.

Taste: Sweet fruit… pears and citrus. Spices, clove in particular. Sweet and rich malts. Semi-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderate-high carbonation. Medium bodied.

Overall: I was pleased with Ommegang's take on the Dubbel. The carbonation was a bit high and ultimately made this brew less creamy than I would like. Recommended!

02-12-2014 22:48:38 | More by Chiefy770
hokieguy95

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Belgian Tulip glass

A: Dark mahogany, with light red hues, very opaque and cloudy. Beautiful 3 inch rocky head that dissipated slowly. Little yeast clumps in the mix and Great lacing that was slightly sticky.

S: Rummy alcoholic sweetness with light hints of dark fruit. Slightly boozy. Raisin and plums are in the background. As it warms these noses become more prominent.

T: More earthy flavors upfront, with a little bit of sweet malts and candi sugar syrup rummyness. Not very spicy, but the strong carbonation helps dry out the beer as to not be too cloy. Could use a bit more crispness.

M: kind of syrupy and medium mouth feel. Moderate carbonation. Not cloying but not dry. Fairly balanced with sweetness just edging out.

O: A great beer I revisit often by an American brewery doing a great version of the Belgian style. Just missing a bit more crisp dryness for me to give it world class status. One of the better examples of the style made in USA.

01-30-2014 00:06:40 | More by hokieguy95
TheDoctor

Quebec (Canada)

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A:
Pours an amber color between ruby and mahogany that is pleasingly cloudy (a touch of sediment) with a lovely three inches of rocky, active beige head that pops, fizzes and morphs while never really getting below fat film. Great retention; beautiful minimalist lacing. Quite lovely.

S:
Spicy phenols and yeast dominate. Musty leather and lacquer smells, bitter orange, fresh-baked banana bread, a slightly smoky background with brown sugar. Really complex and intense.

T:
Extraordinarily complex. Spicy and fruity esters right up front with nuts and overripe cherries in the middle and an increasingly spicy and vaguely bitter finish with coriander, baking spices, and rum. Lots going on, delicious!

M:
Medium bodied and almost syrupy as you drink more. Adequate carbonation and a long lingering finish. The alcohol is present in the nose and a bit in the taste, but is well-hidden on the whole.

O:
Fabulous beer.
First off, I don't like it when brewers try to attain flavors by adding all sorts of extraneous ingredients to the beer. Flavors that in the so-called 'old world' would be present without the addition of said ingredients. I have always seen it as a sort of laziness in my mind.
With this fine brew, Ommegang has (for the third time in my life--the second time being with another beer by Ommegang) shown me that the addition of random seemingly unnecessary ingredients can make for one hell of a beer.
This is a ridiculously 'busy' and complex beer and is worthy of being seen as being 'Belgian' (something that many breweries fall short on--in my opinion). Beautiful looking, a teasing and mind-bogglingly complex nose and a different but equally nice taste.
The stickiness in the palate and a slight rising bitterness (likely from the licorice) after drinking a glass or so are the only things that seems like they could make it more drinkable to me. Excellent beer overall.
Will have again; well worth trying.

01-23-2014 04:47:49 | More by TheDoctor
microbrewlover

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This brew pours almost a pure ruby-red with a two finger off white head. There is moderate lacing.

The smell is dank, musty, sweet, full of sugar. Lots of rich, sweet malts and caramel. Maybe cherries.

The taste is full of sweet malts, sugar, fruit, caramel and spices. (I don't know which spices). The taste is rich and full but it looses a few points for the booze coming through and the excessive sweetness.

The mouthfeel is tangy and creamy. Somewhat full and chewy.

Overall this is a good brew if you like sweet beers. I like it but don't love it. If the sweetness was tamped down a bit and the booze was better concealed this would be better overall.

01-16-2014 23:40:52 | More by microbrewlover
Tingle

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into goblet from bottle. deep brown color, with lighter off-white head. great retention , plenty of lacing. Some roasty and fruity scents. On taste, it feels full and rich in the mouth, withso many flavors that after 4 of these I still haven't identified them all. There's sweet malty flavors, as well as fruity and more chocolately ones. Everything is balanced and satisfying.

01-04-2014 22:35:32 | More by Tingle
delta490

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- poured a deep cloudy ruddy brown with a rich creamy cappuccino head. Great retention and big lacing throughout the beer.

S-redolent with dark fruit (raisins and cherry), citrus, and spices.

T- this is what a dubbel is supposed to taste like. The amalgamation of the ingredients is incredible, with no one flavor drowning out any one else but all of them harmoniously coexisting like a Belgian Beer commune. Fruit, spices, roasted malts all have a chance to move across your palate.

M- full, with a slight slick unctuous character

O- an outstanding example of the dubbel style.

12-13-2013 00:30:02 | More by delta490
BeerDocT

Georgia

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a chilled LaTrappe goblet.

Appearance 4.25: Poured out a deep brown with a lovely khaki head. The head itself was a work of art: thick, lustrous...a gorgeous, glowing sparkling...OK, OK, it's been awhile since I've had a dubbel. Give me a break!

Smell 4.25: Very pleasant bouquet. Hints of biscuit and a deep, deep barley. Very light aroma of hops and a pleasant backbone of spicy Belgian yeast.

Taste 4.5: Front has a very pleasant and warming earthy taste. Think dried figs or dates. Middle is semi-dry, but elements of the hops and a slight malt sweetness linger on the palate at this level. Finish is long and fantastic; here is where the Belgian spiciness takes over and I also received a hit of sweet malt. However, all this was balanced by a lingering and oh-so pleasant earthiness. Aftertaste was long and had hints of sherry, dried fruits and a subtle spiciness. All this without any hint of that unpleasant "wet dog" taste that so many dark Belgian Ales (dubbles) seem to be unable to brew without.

Mouthfeel 4.5: Smooth, creamy bottle-conditioning. Wow.

Overall 4.5: It just doesn't get much better than this, folks. It's been quite some time since I've had a dubbel and this baby makes me want to go out and buy up every bottle of Ommegang I can find. This brew is smooth, balanced, refined...just delicious and absolutely no hint of the 8%+ ABV in the taste. Highly recommended. Wow.

12-06-2013 05:26:00 | More by BeerDocT
stella77artois

2.71/5  rDev -34.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark maroon, almost purple. Thin 2" head formed, which dissipated quickly. Some carbonation rising from the bottom. Good looking beer.

S - Lot's of dark fruit, and a small amount of caramel and toasty malts. Very wine-like. Also detected some hints of straw, flower, and again, more wine-like. Not my style.

T - Way too wine-like for my tastes. I've enjoyed plenty of Dubbel's and Tripel's, never had one that reminded me this much like wine. Just not a wine guy. I like the subtle malt character up front, but way too much wine taste.

F - Kinda thick, a little dry. A good amount of carbonation for my tastes.

O - Way too much like wine for me. Plenty of the same style I enjoy much more.

12-02-2013 15:56:26 | More by stella77artois
mlichens

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a 750ml bottle, poured into a glass. Bottle recommends serving at 50 degrees, my fridge is probably a bit cooler than that. Take it for what you will.

The colour is a cloudy brown, with hints of red. Pours with a heavy, foamy head that settles down rather quickly. Clearly bottle-conditioned. As I drank it, tan laces were apparent.

Taste is fruity, almost as if drinking a dark red wine. very easy to drink down. Despite the thick head, it's not overly carbonated, as was my initial fear.

Overall, a good American attempt at a Belgian. It was $6 at a grocery store so I will certainly pick it up again.

12-01-2013 16:51:24 | More by mlichens
rixcat

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My wife and I sat down on the sofa for a before-dinner beer to talk about our day and gossip about the neighbors. I like to have a beer tasting with her as she's more keen on nuance and undertone.

Served into pint glasses from a ¾-liter (25.4 oz.) corked Belgian neck bottle, the gentle pours produced eager heads of rocky head cresting tide. And so delicious was the scent that we both noticed it right when I popped the cork. It had a general smell of malty sweetness with a slightly spicy motion.

It drank remarkably easy, sweet and malty like the smell. Although I got the obvious plum and sticky raisins, my wife pointed out licorice and orange. Neither of us seemed to be overwhelmed in one direction or another and we both agreed that its medium mouth feel and balance was spot on.

Lastly, the presentation was first-class. Nothing like a Belgian style production I always say. Curvy high quality cork wired onto bulging lips all glossy brown and tall, the clear simple pop queuing up the beginning of a fine evening indeed. All the Ommigang bottles on the shelf seemed to share the same visual drama, and, on image and display alone, I was ready to buy a couple more.

The lacing showed itself as we quaffed our beer with appetite and pleasure, however, the head had nary a chance to subside as we inhaled our ales with an avid fervor like the way one drinks before dinner on an empty stomach. What a fine delicious beer this is and with an 8-1/2 ABV, cheer and clamor filled our living room.

11-20-2013 11:50:24 | More by rixcat
maxk

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a chilled bottle into a shaker pint. Bottle package date is 6/6/2013.

Looks nice in the glass, somewhere between a honey brown and a deep mahogany. Just a bit cloudy and translucent. Good sized head which settles down pretty quickly. Not much lacing falling down the glass.

Smells great, tons of raisins, sticky toffee pudding, brown sugar and a little molasses. Tastes like it smells, really fills out nicely. There's lots of that nice malt sweetness with dark fruit flavors. It does seem a little bit over carbonated for my tastes, but otherwise a fantastic dubbel! I was really in the mood for some dubbels, but didn't feel like shelling out for Rochefort 6. This isn't quite as good, but it still hits the spot and is a fantastic beer.

11-17-2013 18:54:38 | More by maxk
BEERMILER12

Maine

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

PKG ON 04/30/13
BEST BY 04/2015

A: Pours an extremely cloudy ruby/mahogany color with about 3 fingers of head that slowly recede down to a nice cap

S: Very fruity with notes of orange and darker fruits. Also get some light spices and a hint of earthiness. Alcohol well hidden

T: Follows the nose. Starts off very fruity again, with predominant orange and orange peel to go along with an array of darker fruits that are difficult to pull out individually. Spices are right there with the fruitiness, especially the coriander. The cumin and licorice/anise combo also make themselves known. Finishes with a touch of alcohol and more of the fruitiness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A nice and complex dubbel with a great fruitiness that carries depth in and of itself. The spices compliment the fruitiness very nicely, giving the orange specifically a little more pop. Dangerously drinkable for 8.2%, and definitely recommended

11-09-2013 07:01:56 | More by BEERMILER12
Maltenbach

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 12oz bottle. Pours ruby brown with a huge, rocky head that eventually dissipates to a nice lacing. Aromas of plum, raisin and chocolate. Flavors of chocolate, brown sugar, and dried fruit. Finishes with clove, orange peel and chocolate. Wonderfully complex! Creamy but light mouthfeel. Deceptively high in alcohol. This drinks like a 6% ale, but is actually over 8% ABV. This is a delicious double.

11-03-2013 02:05:02 | More by Maltenbach
BoldRulerVermont

Vermont

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 22oz. bottle into a snifter tall glass.
Pours a hazy dark, cloudy brown/amber with a nice thick foamy heady.
Smell was spicy, some sweetness, plum.
Taste was delicious. Immediate hit of spice and raisin. Not a ton of alcohol on tongue despite high ABV.
Mouthfeel was just right for the style.
I really enjoyed this.

10-27-2013 14:07:33 | More by BoldRulerVermont
scotorum

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 6/06/13. Best by 6/20/16.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

a: Translucent red/brown or dark amber. Tall tan head receded to heavy surface foam and a patch or two of lacing.

s: Dark fruit and alcohol.

t: Ommegod this is good! Dark fruit over caramel malt. Slight caramel aftertaste. High ABV is not as evident in the taste as in the aroma. Very nice! Last pour with yeast sediment adds some inoffensive soapiness which is an interesting changeup.

m: Light to medium with loads of carbonation rolling over the tongue.

o: An excellent Abbey Dubbel, carbonation adding zing to the well-balanced malt and fruity yeast throughout. Tasty and easy-drinking. Will want to buy a bomber to age.

10-18-2013 06:18:25 | More by scotorum
polloenfuego

Ontario (Canada)

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 12 oz bottle into a goblet.

A: ruby brown And some cloudiness with a two finger head that breaks down to a thin film.

S: dark fruits and caramel with a maltiness and yeast present.

T: follows the nose, the caramel comes through strong. Fruitiness is quite present and the alcohol stays near the back.

M: Medium mouth feel and carbonation. I found it a touch astringent at first but that dissipated as it warmed.

O: a nice example of a dubbel. I found it a little less fruity than some of the Belgian dubbels, but a great drinkable beer nonetheless.

10-16-2013 20:27:58 | More by polloenfuego