Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

No picture uploaded.

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros

Edson, Mar 11, 2012

Kayaker6, Jan 12, 2012
1.24/5  rDev -70.2%

slamdunc, Aug 15, 2014
1.4/5  rDev -66.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Ruby-amber clear brew forms a HUGE tan head with sticky, tenancious lace, despite moderate to low carbonation. The huge head is actually a detriment in this case...it's overly ridiculous...larger than Duvel (even with a careful pour). Aroma is medicinal, fusel alcohols, and flat, rubbery oxidized hops. Beer starts out with a cloying, syrupy mouthfeel and gives way to metallic notes, leads into more of the rubbery oxidized hops, and ends with a potent kick of fusel alcohols. I think this beer is awful...given the excellent ratings this beer has, I was very disappointed. This tastes like homebrew gone bad. The store I bought this from said that they sell alot of it, and this was a fresh bottle. It made my girlfriend gag..she affectionately refers to it as "Crappegang".
I am a professed Belgian advocate, and I would never buy this again. Just because it's "supposed to be a Belgian", does not a good beer make.

Update: After a few protests from people, I've decided to try this brew again, this time from a known fresh 12 oz. bottle. The head was not a problem on this pour, making me think that my last bottle was contaminated....that was until I tasted it. I still stand by my original review. I think this beer is horrible, yet I will make a few additions. 1)The aroma...I notice this time around that there is a strong tang of toffee and dark candi sugar, though I don't think it is brewed with it. 2)There is a huge pepper note on top of the potent fusels. 3)The lace is nonexistant, so I'm going to take another 0.5 points off for looks. 4)The bittering hops are rubbery AND earthy. 5)It took me 20 minutes to get about 6 oz. of this down, and I already have a mean headache. Ugh. This beer really chaps my ass. Down the sink it goes.

Mitchster, Jan 31, 2003
1.48/5  rDev -64.4%

I don't know what everyone was thinking rating this beer in the top 50. This beer is almost disgusting. Pretty bad as soon as I opened it. Smell is fruity but full of alcohol. Smelled like propane with mashed figs. Taste was far worse than the aroma. Not really malt and hops but more like chemicals and raw alcohol. I tasted sweet-n-low and a stong artificial tangyness. There was a cherry aftertaste, but who would go through all those nasty ass flavors just to get to the aftertaste? I can't see anyone enjoying this beer. Sure, this beer is strong and will put you on your ass, but if that’s what you like, why not just drink Bud Ice instead? It tastes better than this crap! The only good thing going for this brew is its appearance - dark red body (the taste might make you guess it was Red #40) with a huge tan head. After about 4 or 5 sips I couldn't take it anymore and poured the rest of this sickening liquid down the drain.

palma, Jan 10, 2004

kp29, Mar 13, 2013
1.76/5  rDev -57.7%

djl9701, Aug 31, 2014
1.83/5  rDev -56%

Poured it slowly and the head almost fell over the side after a few minutes. Then fell a little back, but stayed thick and pillowy 1/4" head with a kick-butt lacing. The color is a beautiful red color that's dark ruby and just great. The smell has sour dark fruit, not much else. The taste is very sour. It's very bitter/sour with some cork tastes...it's like tasting a piece of wood or sucking on some cardboard. Mouthfeel isn't horrible, not so bad. The aftertaste reminds me of the taste you get in your mouth after puking. Overall I don't think I will ever try this ever again.

Erdinger2003, Sep 27, 2007

nicholas527, Mar 04, 2012
2.04/5  rDev -51%

Johnruth10, Oct 22, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -50.7%

A: Pours a cloudy reddish brown, with two fingers of a foamy, resilient tan head.

S: Aroma is overwhelmingly sweet, of undistinguishable dried fruit.

T: Far too sweet for me; raisins and dates are clear, along with a bit of alcohol and some toffee. I don't get any of the subtle coffee I was expecting from reading about the beer previously.

M: After swallowing, an unpleasant sticky fills my mouth like I have just swallowed cough syrup and am tasting its coating.

D: Low due to the sweetness, don't see myself wanting to pick this one back up at all.

AwYeh, Dec 21, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm not sure if this is a beer, or a carbonated red wine.

Pours with the color of merlot, with a diminishing head. Smells fruity, decent lacing on the glass. Taste is like a dry red wine, I get tannins and some oak flavor out of it. Where is the sweet malt? Where are the hops? Mouthfeel is okay, though thin. I don't think I'll look for this again. Might pair well with grilled steak, but not a beer to drink on it's own.

deejaydan, Mar 23, 2005
2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Served from a 750ml bottle into a stein (I know I should be using a goblet), it's a good looking beer, a nice rich brown, with a considerable (1"+) light brown, not quite tan head. Plenty of carbonation. The smell is nice, definite fruit prescence. Taste is where it all goes wrong. It's very yeasty and a bit nutty. If there was fruit in there, the yeast overwhelmed it. I couldn't even taste any malt or hops. Mouthfeel was smooth enough but I couldn't make detailed observations as the yeast taste was rather unpleasant. Maybe I got a bad bottle, or maybe this is the style of Belgian ales. I'm not familiar with Belgian style, so I couldn't say. I've got Chimay Red for the Super Bowl and hopefully it will be better than this, which I entirely disliked. Needless to say, I didn't finish the bottle.

JWFokker, Feb 04, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Popped the cork on this 750 ml bottle, and glugged it into an Orval Chalice. Looks ok. Auburn, leaning to plum in color, gentle lacing at the edges. Head did fade away quicker than I expected, and left only minor islanding.

Aroma is yeasty caramel, spiced candied fruit, toffee, and detecting a slight amount of pepper.

Taste is sweet, and too much lingering sweetness on the pallet for my liking. Dry intake, which is nice, but wishing there was more hops, or pepper to balance the finish. I couln't see drinking more than One of these.

*Update* (15 minutes later) man, this beer just gets worse as I drink it, and it warms. Sickly, sticky sweet... not sure if I'll finish this one, and I never throw beer out (unless it's spoiled). Also no sign of head now, and zero lacing, just looks like a flat brown unappealing liquid.

ReebShorts, Jan 04, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

Tasted/reviewed 02/06/02
The bottles that I have gotten recently have been much heavier on the sweetness, almost cloying and sickning... with heavy toffee and honey notes, leaving an overly sweet taste and a stickyness in your mouth. I am not really pleased with this beer anymore, don't know if it is my tastebuds or the beer, but it really is too sweet for me as of late...

hooligan, Feb 06, 2002
2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Vestlake, Jun 25, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Appearance- dark reddish brown with a thick tan head. Very carbonated.
Smell- sweet. sugar, cherries, plums, raisins, and alcohol.
Taste- sweet with hints of burnt hops, raisins (which I hate!), prunes and rubbing alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sweet at first ending with burning alcohol.

Overall- not very pleased witht this fruity burning mess. I was able to drink but will not purchase again.

NJpadreFan, Nov 27, 2005