Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
Edson

03-11-2012 17:58:36 | More by Edson
Kayaker6

Alaska

01-12-2012 04:20:06 | More by Kayaker6
Mitchster

1.4/5  rDev -66.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Ruby-amber clear brew forms a HUGE tan head with sticky, tenancious lace, despite moderate to low carbonation. The huge head is actually a detriment in this case...it's overly ridiculous...larger than Duvel (even with a careful pour). Aroma is medicinal, fusel alcohols, and flat, rubbery oxidized hops. Beer starts out with a cloying, syrupy mouthfeel and gives way to metallic notes, leads into more of the rubbery oxidized hops, and ends with a potent kick of fusel alcohols. I think this beer is awful...given the excellent ratings this beer has, I was very disappointed. This tastes like homebrew gone bad. The store I bought this from said that they sell alot of it, and this was a fresh bottle. It made my girlfriend gag..she affectionately refers to it as "Crappegang".
I am a professed Belgian advocate, and I would never buy this again. Just because it's "supposed to be a Belgian", does not a good beer make.

Update: After a few protests from people, I've decided to try this brew again, this time from a known fresh 12 oz. bottle. The head was not a problem on this pour, making me think that my last bottle was contaminated....that was until I tasted it. I still stand by my original review. I think this beer is horrible, yet I will make a few additions. 1)The aroma...I notice this time around that there is a strong tang of toffee and dark candi sugar, though I don't think it is brewed with it. 2)There is a huge pepper note on top of the potent fusels. 3)The lace is nonexistant, so I'm going to take another 0.5 points off for looks. 4)The bittering hops are rubbery AND earthy. 5)It took me 20 minutes to get about 6 oz. of this down, and I already have a mean headache. Ugh. This beer really chaps my ass. Down the sink it goes.

01-31-2003 17:25:54 | More by Mitchster
palma

1.48/5  rDev -64.4%

I don't know what everyone was thinking rating this beer in the top 50. This beer is almost disgusting. Pretty bad as soon as I opened it. Smell is fruity but full of alcohol. Smelled like propane with mashed figs. Taste was far worse than the aroma. Not really malt and hops but more like chemicals and raw alcohol. I tasted sweet-n-low and a stong artificial tangyness. There was a cherry aftertaste, but who would go through all those nasty ass flavors just to get to the aftertaste? I can't see anyone enjoying this beer. Sure, this beer is strong and will put you on your ass, but if that’s what you like, why not just drink Bud Ice instead? It tastes better than this crap! The only good thing going for this brew is its appearance - dark red body (the taste might make you guess it was Red #40) with a huge tan head. After about 4 or 5 sips I couldn't take it anymore and poured the rest of this sickening liquid down the drain.

01-10-2004 21:01:44 | More by palma

03-13-2013 02:10:31 | More by kp29
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.83/5  rDev -56%

Poured it slowly and the head almost fell over the side after a few minutes. Then fell a little back, but stayed thick and pillowy 1/4" head with a kick-butt lacing. The color is a beautiful red color that's dark ruby and just great. The smell has sour dark fruit, not much else. The taste is very sour. It's very bitter/sour with some cork tastes...it's like tasting a piece of wood or sucking on some cardboard. Mouthfeel isn't horrible, not so bad. The aftertaste reminds me of the taste you get in your mouth after puking. Overall I don't think I will ever try this ever again.

09-27-2007 15:02:06 | More by Erdinger2003

nicholas527

03-04-2012 19:58:09 | More by nicholas527
AwYeh

2.05/5  rDev -50.7%

A: Pours a cloudy reddish brown, with two fingers of a foamy, resilient tan head.

S: Aroma is overwhelmingly sweet, of undistinguishable dried fruit.

T: Far too sweet for me; raisins and dates are clear, along with a bit of alcohol and some toffee. I don't get any of the subtle coffee I was expecting from reading about the beer previously.

M: After swallowing, an unpleasant sticky fills my mouth like I have just swallowed cough syrup and am tasting its coating.

D: Low due to the sweetness, don't see myself wanting to pick this one back up at all.

12-21-2010 08:23:25 | More by AwYeh
deejaydan

2.1/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm not sure if this is a beer, or a carbonated red wine.

Pours with the color of merlot, with a diminishing head. Smells fruity, decent lacing on the glass. Taste is like a dry red wine, I get tannins and some oak flavor out of it. Where is the sweet malt? Where are the hops? Mouthfeel is okay, though thin. I don't think I'll look for this again. Might pair well with grilled steak, but not a beer to drink on it's own.

03-23-2005 01:38:25 | More by deejaydan
JWFokker

2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Served from a 750ml bottle into a stein (I know I should be using a goblet), it's a good looking beer, a nice rich brown, with a considerable (1"+) light brown, not quite tan head. Plenty of carbonation. The smell is nice, definite fruit prescence. Taste is where it all goes wrong. It's very yeasty and a bit nutty. If there was fruit in there, the yeast overwhelmed it. I couldn't even taste any malt or hops. Mouthfeel was smooth enough but I couldn't make detailed observations as the yeast taste was rather unpleasant. Maybe I got a bad bottle, or maybe this is the style of Belgian ales. I'm not familiar with Belgian style, so I couldn't say. I've got Chimay Red for the Super Bowl and hopefully it will be better than this, which I entirely disliked. Needless to say, I didn't finish the bottle.

02-04-2006 00:08:31 | More by JWFokker
ReebShorts

Washington

2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Popped the cork on this 750 ml bottle, and glugged it into an Orval Chalice. Looks ok. Auburn, leaning to plum in color, gentle lacing at the edges. Head did fade away quicker than I expected, and left only minor islanding.

Aroma is yeasty caramel, spiced candied fruit, toffee, and detecting a slight amount of pepper.

Taste is sweet, and too much lingering sweetness on the pallet for my liking. Dry intake, which is nice, but wishing there was more hops, or pepper to balance the finish. I couln't see drinking more than One of these.

*Update* (15 minutes later) man, this beer just gets worse as I drink it, and it warms. Sickly, sticky sweet... not sure if I'll finish this one, and I never throw beer out (unless it's spoiled). Also no sign of head now, and zero lacing, just looks like a flat brown unappealing liquid.

01-04-2006 07:26:49 | More by ReebShorts
hooligan

2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

Tasted/reviewed 02/06/02
The bottles that I have gotten recently have been much heavier on the sweetness, almost cloying and sickning... with heavy toffee and honey notes, leaving an overly sweet taste and a stickyness in your mouth. I am not really pleased with this beer anymore, don't know if it is my tastebuds or the beer, but it really is too sweet for me as of late...

02-06-2002 22:36:04 | More by hooligan
Vestlake

Alabama

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

06-25-2014 19:19:49 | More by Vestlake
NJpadreFan

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Appearance- dark reddish brown with a thick tan head. Very carbonated.
Smell- sweet. sugar, cherries, plums, raisins, and alcohol.
Taste- sweet with hints of burnt hops, raisins (which I hate!), prunes and rubbing alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sweet at first ending with burning alcohol.

Overall- not very pleased witht this fruity burning mess. I was able to drink but will not purchase again.

11-27-2005 23:17:54 | More by NJpadreFan
popery

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

Well, this marks the first time that I've seriously disagreed with the BA community, at least since I started writing reviews. I honestly don't understand this beer or these reviews. A lot of people describe a fruity taste to this beer, but unless Vodka is now a fruit, I disagree.

The beer looks great. It's got a big head and a thick dark brown look that definitely appealed to me. I even like the packaging, just to throw in another compliment while I still can.

Once I smelled this beer, I knew something was wrong. There are certainly some interesting elements to it and I fully believe that there is a good beer lurking within, but to my nose, it smelled like strong stout with a shot of vodka dropped in, like the horror that is a boilermaker. That's overstating things, but my hopes were sky high with this one as I had read so many good reviews of Ommegang but had yet to try their beers.

The taste is really great for the first half second or so, but there isn't even enough time to swallow before the alcohol kicks in. As I said before, it's like there is a good spicy stout lingering below the surface but like a whack-a-mole, it barely pops its head before bitter alcohol hits it with a mallet. It made me think that I could have had a bad bottle or something, but I don't really know what would cause this type of reaction. If someone graciously beer mails me a possible cause, I'll try to pick up another bottle for a re-review. I could barely get through my glass but ended up drinking the entire bottle hoping for some sort of change in my perception.

The mouthfeel is fine. There's good carbonation, and the beer seems well-constructed. Unfortunately, my mouth was puckering from the bitterness, so I can't give more than a three.

Drinkability? I drank it. I can't say that I wanted to, but I did. So, that's something.

On a brief defensive note, I don't dislike high abv beers. My girlfriend shared my opinion on the flavor and her favorite beer is North Coast's 13.25% Old Stock Ale, which I like pretty well too. While I'm not the biggest fan of vodka, which was what this beer reminded me of primarily, I do drink it on occasion and definitely enjoy other hard alcohol, particularly Irish whiskey.

I feel like I drank a different beer than everyone else reviewing it. The beer that everyone else describes sounds incredible. So, feel free to ignore my review, but I can only go on my own experience.

09-17-2008 00:58:42 | More by popery
shabbtastic

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

A - Starts out great. Dark mahogany brown with ruby highlights. Poured semi vigorously into a chalice with a decent head and no lacing.

S - Rich dark fruit like figs and raisins dominated the nose, Yeast was very strong too, almost too strong.

T - Sour yeast was upfront and apparent on the palate. A sort of chemical taste I couldn't quite figure out. I see this is an A overall on BA, but to be honest I just didn't dig the taste. Perhaps this style of Belgians are not for me? Overrated IMO.

M - Sticky like maple syrup, that finished dry and somewhat unpleasant.

D - I don't think I'll be enjoying the rest of my 4 pack of these. This was a task just to finish. This is not OG's best; go for the 3 philosophers instead.

03-10-2008 15:05:40 | More by shabbtastic
HardTarget

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

Brown caged and corked bomber with 8.5% abv listed but no date. The bottle encouraged cellaring, which I did for at least a year and a half.
Aroma: A slightly scary soy sauce aroma and a hint of wet dog! Some alcohol is present as well. Some dark fruit showed up as it warmed.
Appearance: Dark brown with clarity shown only with a serious back light and as the glass starts to empty. Frothy tan head faded quickly to a thin collar without lace.
Flavor: Very vinous with dark fruit flavors and that soy sauce characteristic noted in the nose is pretty prominent. I noted simple sugars, some spices, a bit of horse blanket and even a touch of vinegar.
Mouthfeel: Medium light body, a bit thin actually, with a dry finish. Carbonation level is subdued.
Overall Impression: Wow, I’ve waited a long time to try this, and I’m under-whelmed. The wet dog smell (possibly a cardboard smell) is distracting and once I’m past that, I mostly get the off-soy sauce taste. I just do not like this brew and I get the feeling some of the flaws are due to aging (which the bottle TOLD me to do). It seems too much like red wine, and I don’t care for red wine typically. I’m not going to trash this beer in the numbers, but since I rate these for my own purposes (to let me know if I should buy this again) I need to give it low marks. I’m tempted to drain pour this, but I’m going to see how much I can drink. Pairing with some cheese and turkey helped some, but not a lot.
Like red wine? Give it a try. Don’t? Pass.

03-17-2005 00:59:02 | More by HardTarget