Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
Naugros

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer has a head like lightly toasted marshmallow with excellent retention. The liquid is dark and inviting and it's promising me flavors of dark fruit, as many Belgian darks do. Lovely, sporadic lace creates forms that a gypsy might be inclined to prognosticate from.

Belgian yeast and hops dominate the nose giving off banana and caramel. Reminds me of bananas Foster if it was made with brandy instead of rum.

Okay yes, there is some dark fruit there (dark cherry and plum), but not as overwhelming as some Abbey ales from Belgium that I've tried. There is a candy sweetness that is tempered by the alcohol, both mutually muting the other in a show of expert control by the brew master. Spicy notes in the form of black pepper. There's a little mustiness in the wash that becomes orange rind bitter as it fades.

I'm not enamored of the way the bitterness expresses itself in the aftertaste of this beer. The sense I get is of a layered metallic grittiness on the sides of the tongue toward the back that outstays its welcome. The carbonation level is fine and the body is prefect for the style.

A nicely constructed beer, which I've come to expect from the boys from Cooperstown. A wonderful rendition of the style with all the earmarks of some of the best versions. It loses a little of its luster in the aftertaste, but not enough to ruin the experience of a well-crafted beer.

07-01-2010 02:30:44 | More by Naugros
Ghenna

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Popured into a SN tulipish glass from a 750ml corked bottle. Beer is a deep copper color with a billowy off white head.

Smells very belgian-y, which is to say malty and yeasty. Taste is little more mellow than I was expecting. I mean its generally malt/yeast with a bit of what people usually describe as dark fruit. Finish is a little hard to describe- there is an almost noticable absence of what was once there... hard to describe. Of note is that it is a very smooth beer.

All told, this is a pretty nice beer. Price point of 6.99 makes it a good choice when I'm feeling in a belgian-y mood. I'd like to check out their trippel.

06-30-2010 01:22:28 | More by Ghenna
bogus564

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

First Ommegang offering I've ever tried. After this, I will be trying more.

The pour was quite nice, resulting in a 4 cm head. The color is a beautiful dark amber which can be seen through.

The smell is nice and malty, with a nice sugary vibe to it.

When I took my first sip, I got a nice malty, chocolaty sensation of some sort. Then, I noticed a very nice citrus feel, kind of orange, faintly grapefruit, maybe cherry feel. There was a hoppy aftertaste to it, which I enjoyed as a hophead.

Overall, a very strong choice. This would be outstanding with a nice steak served hot off the grill. I'm looking forward to my next Ommegang choice.

06-26-2010 18:44:09 | More by bogus564
jbertsch

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into my new ommegang chalice, this one looks great. Dark ruby red color. Almost like tea, with a thick, frothy head one-finger in size. Great leacing.

Significant caramel malts, molasses, fruits (fain banana and raisin) and clove arouse the nose.

The taste matches the aroma - tastes like a library; historic paper. I do get a strong sense of tea leaves, as well as notes of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel is very carbonated at first but mellows out a bit halfway through the session.

Nice drinkability rounds this one off with very high marks for me. Another stellar Belgian recreation take from Ommegang.

06-21-2010 03:23:49 | More by jbertsch
jmarvin4189

Vermont

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance - a very dark amber red color

Smell - a very faint malty smell. I didn't really smell too much with this beer

Taste - It had a fruity caramel taste, couldn't sense any hops it was a very malty beer.

Mouthfeel - very smooth, not much carbonation. definitely a beer to sip on an relax with.

Drinkability - very drinkable, its a nice relaxing beer but i think personally I could only have 1 since it doesn't settle too well in my stomach... Just a warning for you beer drinkers who also may have Crohn's Disease

All in all it was a very good beer that I wish I could drink more of.

06-20-2010 17:28:52 | More by jmarvin4189
joeland

Vermont

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

appearance-amber color with an off white head with an amazing amount of lacing

smell- a very weak malt smell

taste- an amazing carmel malt taste. Very sweet with a hint of bitter.

mouthfeel- a bubbley mouthfeel

drinkability- I could have a few of these

06-19-2010 14:51:12 | More by joeland
scottbrew4u

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Delivered to me a clear, mahogany color with a half inch, dense tan head. Good lacing as you get down the glass.

S: Roasted and burnt grains, plums, currants, dried dark cherries, toffee, molasses and hints of sherry make up the malt profile. Hops are earthy and slight citrus. Much quieter an influence though.

T: Roasted malts are slightly burnt and bready. Flavors of dried fruit; plums, currants and dark cherries. Some toffee and candy sugar sweetness with a touch of sherry. Hops add a touch of bitterness and slight peppery spice. Very complex flavors and blends of dark fruity esters some coming from the yeast Finish is on the sweet side.

M: Medium to full body with some slick creamy carbonation and a noticeable alcohol warmth.

D: Very smooth and deliciously sippable with a lot going on for the malt lovers. Excellent beer to have one or a few of with friends.

06-19-2010 02:01:37 | More by scottbrew4u
dasenebler

Maine

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

From a 750 mL bottle, this Dubbel pours on the lighter side: hazy dark amber with reddish tones. The head is big and fluffy; the lacing and retention are above average.

Aroma is of fruity esters and caramel malts, a touch of chocolate here and there.

The flavor is delicious and malty without being overpowering. Yes, the alcohol is a tad warming at over eight percent, but this Dubbel is on the lighter side of the style spectrum. The flavor is fruity and caramel-like, with hints of pear, grape and chocolate. I get a touch of banana esters and other yeastiness. There is a very satisfying, rich and malty weight, but no plodding mouthfeel-- neither sipper nor guzzler. The fluffy mouthfeel is aided by copious yet fine bubbles.

An excellent Abbey Dubbel. Authentic-tasting for American-made. Ommegang strikes again!

06-17-2010 01:35:51 | More by dasenebler
Bfarr

Washington

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Deep dark brown with red highlights and frothy tan head. Aromas of molasses, yeast, and light sweetness. Very faint molasses start transforms to light yeasty, allspice and a plum or perhaps prune sweetness. There is also a rather strong presence of floral hop character and a slightly bready finish. Mouthfeel is relatively high carbonation for the style.

A very subtle flavored dubbel which may be the result of high carbonation washing some of the flavors away. As it settled it certainly got better.

06-14-2010 14:03:55 | More by Bfarr
Bierguy5

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle, 8.5% abv. Pours a hazy chestnut colot, with some ruby edges. Thin tan head holds for a minute then fades to a thin ring.

Wonderful fruity aroma. Raisins, figs, plums. Some caramel and dark candi sugar. A whiff of alcohol.

Booze soaked figs and raisins up front. Darker fruit flavors. A bit of caramel. Fair amount of sweetness up front. Earthy bitterness. A good amount of yeasty flavors blend in well with the earthy notes.

Lighter body, but a good amount of carbonation. Some warming alcohol, but not overwhelming. Very enjoyable

06-13-2010 19:49:06 | More by Bierguy5
AlCaponeJunior

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a thick, hazy, dark reddish/amber to brown color with a large head that lasts and leaves plenty of lacing. Gorgeous to look at!

A sweet and fruity smell, reminiscent of plums or raisins, some malt and slight smell of alcohol. Not an especially strong smell, but very nice nonetheless.

Taste is just fabulous. Malty sweet and spicy, with fruity overtones and some caramel and molasses. Just a smidge of alcohol taste, but not overpowering for a beer of this strength. And most notably, despite my preference for beers with lower alcohol than this one, it remains very much in the "damn friggin' good can I have another" category. Excellent stuff that improves as it warms up. Poured after allowing to warm slightly (was just out of the liquor store's fridge) but consumed slowly, as I let it breathe and warm, the aroma, character and flavors increased nicely. The last sip was probably the best.

There's a rich and creamy feel on the pallet, with lingering flavors on the top and tip of the tongue. There's plenty of carbonation, but it doesn't detract from the sensations on the pallet. Mouthfeel is excellent and I give it a five in this category.

For me to rate this strong of a beer so very highly on the drinkability scale, that's saying A LOT. Seriously, drinkability should be bumped to 20%, especially with this brew. I won't give it a five, because it's pretty darn strong, but given the 8.5% alcohol content, this is a slam dunk for this brew in my little world.

I've gotta say that I'm pretty darn friggin' impressed with Ommegang Abby Ale, and plan to drink it again soon, as well as look for other brews from this brewery. Being American made is also a good thing as well, as we need more great American beers that don't require scantily clad females as their only selling point.

ETA: I'm going to buy another one of these this week, and possibly change my review to Taste=5. Don't want to be hasty on the matter, but by the time I got to the end of my 750 I was second guessing myself on my review numbers. time will tell.

ETA2: I'm essentially re-reviewing this beer right now. Since I questioned my numbers on the first go-round, I'm starting all over again, and editing/changing my first review. Although I didn't change much, I did upgrade the smell to a 4 and change that section of my review. Perhaps I was a bit stuffy last time, who knows, but it smelled even better this time around.

I'm also upgrading the drinkability to 5. Reason being that I'm not even 2/3 done with this bottle and I'm already planning to buy some more as a special surprise for a buddy who's getting back from vacation and will no doubt be in need of something special as a relief from the fact that he'll be going back to work soon. It's just damn good stuff and I can't get my mind off my next glass of this wonder brew.

I decided to leave the taste at 4.5 (although I wish the rating system went in quarter point increments, lol). On my second go-round, I could taste the alcohol more, but that didn't lower my rating, it just kept me from the full upgrade to 5. I appreciate the ratings system on this site because I can see just how elusive the all-perfect 5/5/5/5/5 beer will really be.

06-06-2010 17:47:21 | More by AlCaponeJunior
philerman

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Bought in a 750 ml bottle and poured into a snifter-type glass.

Pours a pleasing color that is about 85% brown, 15% golden.

Slight whiskey smell, but nothing too strong.

As others have said, surprisingly drinkable and though this is marketed and categorized as a dubbel I'd say it would make a nice compromise between a dubbel and trippel. Looking forward to trying the rest of their beers.

06-06-2010 01:42:04 | More by philerman
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a Chimay goblet from a 750ml bottle.

A - Pours a gorgeous hazy dark amber color with some light brownish hues. A very loud and nice .5 inch head that is off white and very active. The head recedes quickly but the CO2 is very very active.

S - Nice sweet caramel malt aromas with some dark fruits such as figs and some mild plums. There is also a nice yeast character to this brew.

T - Flavors start off with some cereal grain as well as some nice sourdough bread hints. Nice phenols and clove spice are present along with some mild pepper and some vanilla as well. Nice spicy beer. There is a perfect dry hop finish at the end of this beer that definitely goes well with the rest of the all malt character. Solid offering from Ommegang.

M & D - Creamy and full bodied with nice frothy and crisp body. High drinkability even with the 8.5%.

06-05-2010 23:34:28 | More by JoEBoBpr
kbanks13

3.95/5  rDev -5%

12 oz. into a tulip

A: Pours a deep rich mahogany brown color with a huge rocky two-and-a-half finger head. It dissipates to a one finger head with moderate lacing.

S: Plums and figs primarily with a brown sugar background. A little clove and orange peel, slight hint of warming alcohol.

T: As with the nose, plum up front but mostly figs and a little apricot, oddly enough. Slight caramel and sugary taste with a reserved boozy flavor. A little clove coupled with a bit of oily/citrusy hops, but the hop profile is very reserved. Malt makes an appearance but only as much as the hops do and they fade as quickly. Clean finish that doesn't really have any lingering flavors or aftertastes.

M: Moderate to low carbonation, smooth and rich texture.

D: Highly enjoyable and very tasty beer. Rich enough that I would not likely want to have more than one at a time though. ABV is restrained and price is reasonable as this is a domestic take on the style (and a great one at that).

06-04-2010 01:45:37 | More by kbanks13
DrDemento456

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Damn I love giant eagle! Got this bottled date of 11/25/09 for 8 bucks!

A - Deep Brown with less carbonation than expected due to the 6 month age.
S - Smells of slight caramel, licorice, dark fruit, and bready yeast.
T - Very balanced! Slight figs and rasins along with a bready finish that was more bitter than expected due to Belgium yeast.
M - Lighter than expected for 8.5 but the bitterness (not hoppy) seems a bit too much for me. Makes me gag a bit.
D - Well one and done. I didn't like the Three Philosophers that much and the Hennepin was good, but this was so so. I enjoyed the Brooklyn local 2 more.

06-03-2010 00:55:52 | More by DrDemento456
webdog76

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Ommegosh, Ommegang is one of my new favorite beers. Upon pouring the beer, very nice head with beautiful yeasty smells arising from the glass. Nice dark color but the flavor isn't overwhelming as many stouts and porters. The smell makes you think it will be overly sweet but I think it offers subtle raisin and plum background with a clove-like nip on the tongue. The mouthfeel is what separates this beer from many other Abbey styles, very silky but not overly coating. The carbonation cleanses as it passes over the tongue. All in all, a delicious, hearty beer from our friends at Ommegang. Nice work!!

06-02-2010 03:04:25 | More by webdog76
Nightwielder

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer pours a dark brown with a crimson/redish hue and a lot of foam to top it off (about 3 fingers worth). It is an aesthetically pleasing beer in my opinion, but that's just a personal preference and you can only do so much nit-picking in this category. On the nose, I get sort of a musty, old liquorice mixed with some dark fruits like plums or raisins, possibly cherries too. It's pretty complex for a Belgian-style Dubbel so it was rather difficult to pinpoint all the nuances in this one (in fact, a re-review may be in the works for this reason). The alcohol is definitely present, but not entirely overpowering either; there's a decent balance of taste and spicyness on the palate. There's some maltyness here no doubt, along with hints of nutmeg, caramel, and maybe even tobacco. I would say it's a heavier beer. I believe this beer would make a great pairing for a nice cut of meat, like a steak or some pork chops perhaps. The mouthfeel was slightly bitter at first impression, but this beer definitely grows on you and that bitterness quickly dissipates into a sweeter full-bodied beer. In terms of drinkability, I would like to have this beer occasionally, probably with an entrée or even a dessert, but not so much of an everyday type of beer. However, it suffices to say this beer could be had at anytime or anyplace with enjoyment, but better suited to the occasion of fine dining.

05-30-2010 05:57:06 | More by Nightwielder
wcintula

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Deep amber body with plenty of thick, foamy head that looked like a nice creme brulee once thinned after a nice cascade.

S- Very sweet, fruity, with hint of spices, cloves and star of anise is noticed.

T- I don't feel as strong of a taste profile as I do the smell but still very sweet strong malt taste, with an aftertaste of alcohol.

M- Verrrry smooth, light carbonation and a dryness on the back of the throat and nasal passages.

D- Delicious and drinkable, but I won't be drinking them all night. after 2, I'd move on to something lighter.

05-29-2010 03:17:12 | More by wcintula
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

On tap in the Burger Bar (las Vegas), poured into a chalice.

I like and know Belgian dubbels fairly well, and thought this one fitted in nicely with what I am used too, if a little sweeter than some.

Deep amber in colour, not as dark as most dubbels, but decent enough. The head was thin, a tan colour, leaving next to no lacing as I drank.

The nose was malty, malt molasses gave it a sweet smell, the alcohol also seemed to get into the aroma.

The taste was all sweetened malts, caramel with hints of dried fruits (mixed peel, raisins, sultanas, etc). The alcohol was, like in the smell, very conspicuous again.

Glad I only had the one, but glad I had the one, to compare it with others.

05-25-2010 08:42:43 | More by BlackHaddock
beersheppard

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: dark brown that fades to dark amber, tan head, medium lacing, good carbonation.

Smell: roasty malts, nuttiness, icorice

Taste: roasty malts, a lot of licorice, black pepper, utiness, raisins, a little bit of alcohol

Mouthfeel: full and substantial

Drinkability: a hearty brew, well constructed, complex, a good example of the style, Ommegang does Belgian beers well is all I can say.

05-24-2010 04:36:56 | More by beersheppard
elvisnj

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into Duvel tulip glass from Belgian 25oz.

Thin and dark copper. Nice head.

Nose is malty with some grape going on. Clearly a Belgian yeast element in the nose.

Tangy and a bit sweet with biscuit malt and fig. This has some real flavor. Carbonation is high so there is some acidic quality which works fine. Slight phenolic alcohol warmth.

Overall this is one of my favorites from Ommegang. It is on par with some of the better Dubbels available

05-24-2010 01:08:07 | More by elvisnj
DaveHS

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a deep amber, with a fluffy dark tan head. The nose is
rich and malty, with aromas of nutmeg, walnuts, toffee, and raisins.
The mouthfeel is full and rich, with higher than average carbonation
for a dubbel style. Very fruity, with touches of brown sugar, black
pepper, and nutty malts. Peach and raisin flavors dominate midpalate. The finish is buttery, with a slick, yeasty aftertaste. It was pleasant enough, but not something I'd revisit too often. And of the few times I've had this, I've had carbonation/oxidization problems with about 1/2 the bottles. So buyer beware.

05-23-2010 21:19:35 | More by DaveHS
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Uncorked into tulip.

Immense 3 fingers head that took some time to dissipate, with moderate lacing. Gorgeous deep brown color and light brown head, great looking beer.

Initial smells of yeast, caramel malt and some sweetness.

Taste is heavy on candied fruit, raisins, figs, very pronounced with a bit of sweetness. Not as heavy as might appear, overall great taste. A slight sour note as well.

Great mouthfeel, good carbonation with just a hint of the alcohol.

This one creeped up on me unexpectedly, so be careful. Will definitely have again, probably more for cooler weather. Another fine beer from Ommegang.

05-22-2010 15:13:11 | More by DAllspaw
axeman9182

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

A vigorous pour into my Duvel tulip yields a gorgeous murky maroon beer with a voluminous tan head that hangs out for a few minutes before leaving some nice, if uneven, lace down the side of the glass. Doesn't smell as complex as I had hoped (though the nose is still good), a clove spiciness from the yeast really dominates. Thankfully, the Ommegang Abbey Ale's taste has more layers to it. The previously noted yeasty contributions are there, along with some alcohol soaked dark fruits (raisins come to mind first) and just a hint of caramel sweetness lurking in the background. The beer is nicely carbonated and has a suitably full body, though I wish it was a little more rich. 8.5%? Could have fooled me, no booziness to this beer whatsoever. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Abbey Ale is a great beer, Ommegang hasn't let me down yet.

05-20-2010 01:57:56 | More by axeman9182
boss302

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle that I poured into an Orval chalice.

A Deep red to brown color. There is a tan head that is thick with small fine bubbles. Head sticks around for most of the glass, laces, and just starts to break up toward the end.

S Sweet, fruity, estery. There is a licorice aroma.

T Nutty licorice flavor. First impressions are smooth/balanced with a little CO2 bite. No lingering aftertaste, no astringency, hard to detect any stand our flavors.

M Full body. Initially there is no indication of the alcohol, but it does show up a few seconds after the swallow when your left with the warmth of the alcohol. This is more noticeable as it warms.

O Balance is the noteable characteristic of this beer. Definitely recommend.

05-19-2010 02:43:41 | More by boss302