Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,097 | Reviews: 1,687
4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

750 ml bottle pours with a thick offwhite head and dark brown but transparent liquid. Strong honey and toasted grains aroma. The honey smell is uncanny and delicious.

Odd and wonderful attack of sourness mixed with sweet honey with a big malt presence, smooth but present alcohol and slight bitterness. Really unique and well done. Toasted sweetness with a sour counterpoint is difficult to describe.

Nice and rich body with moderately low carbonation. Definitely a sipper, each sip is packed with flavor.

What a complex and delicious taste. All the other aspects of this one are well done, but the taste is something else. So smooth, so tart, so sweet, so bitter. This is a beer I regularly buy.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

This beer is a top-notch example of a Dubbel.

Nice creamy head with good lacing and retention. The nose is very robust with the ingedients and yeast.

Fruity, hops are there, high carbonation with nice caramel malty notes. Red apples and ripe plums with grapefruit and honey.

Complex. Tasty. Crisp. Medium to full bodied.

Nice alcohol warming in the finish. This is one of my favorite examples of a classic Belgian style and it was brewed in the U.S.

Highly recommended for any occasion. Very drinkable. Very crisp and fluffy on the palate.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured this one out of a 750 mL bottle into a goblet. Poured a great dark red color with a thin, tan head. I really love the color of the beer, but desired a thicker head to round off the appearance. The smell was very good! Mix of a little tartness, maybe citrusy with something sweet hiding in the background. Couldn't quite put my tongue (nose) around it though. Initial pour into the mouth brought a real fruity palate. Swishing it around really changed the taste. Stronger on the tip, a little sweeter near the back. What I really liked, though, was the carbonation. This beer really danced around on my tongue, which I quite enjoyed. The alcohol felt a little too prominent, though. This is a really good beer, but I don't see myself buying it with any great regularity. Definitely worth checking out.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So the first thing I noticed when looking this over is that it's brewed by Duvel? A little bit odd, but it has me some kind of excited. Corked n caged 750ml, poured around 50 degrees into a tulip.

She pours an orangey brown with a huge rocky head, very pretty beer with excellent retention and lacing.

Definitely some rum soaked raisins on the nose, with a bit of sourness.

The taste is very complex, many layers...tastes different in different parts of the mouth. Very nice. Alcohol is well hidden.

The mouth is good, medium body, high carbonation. Very smooth, alcohol is non-existant. Nice. This beer goes down damn smooth, I could drink a lot of this.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

I worked long and hard to be able to get this beer in my beloved southern Illinois. Brewery Ommegang is beautiful and produces wonderful small batch ales.

A: Pours a deep amber color with a couple fingers of a bready head that dissipates leaving a thin persistent head with lacing up the glass.

S: Caramel sweetness, citrusy hops, other fruits come out as the beer approaches the proper temperature - I swear I can smell bananas in there. The light spiciness I've come to expect compliments the fruity sweetness in there.

T: Nothing to really add here. The taste follows the smell. It's a roller coaster between the multiple sources of sweetness and spiciness. Absolutely incredible!!

M: Medium/heavy body but nothing harsh. Smooth yet chewy with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable!! Would I drink more? Hell yes!! I believe everyone should experience this one. I would even say you should share this with a friend. The entire 750ml bottle weighing in at 8.5% ABV is leaving me feeling good!

3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

Picked this one up as a single at Central Market in Austin.

A - Poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Deep, rich cloudy red with about two inches of foamy, off-white head that took a while to dissolve and left noticeable lacing on the snifter.

S - Belgians and Belgian-style beers have a distinct smell, and I've noticed this the more I've tried them. It's fruity, like pears, apples and bananas. Very enjoyable.

T - Sweet, tawny and alcoholic. It bites the tongue at first taste, and after the bitterness fades to an apple flavor, not unlike Unibroue's Maudite.

M - Mouthfeel's a bit interesting to describe here. The alcohol hits so strong at first that it's hard to describe it as having a great mouthfeel. Very acidic. Hard to get past the intensity of the flavor.

D - I wouldn't drink more than one or two of these at a time. Ommegang is a good beer, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't be able to deal with so much flavor at once.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

750 ml poured into chalice.

A. 1st pour almost no head when poured, what there was was gone almost immeadiately. 2nd pour was big 2 finger head that left nice lacing but again was gone in almost no time. Ruby Brown color.

S. Sweetness. Strong dark fruit smell. Bit of alcohol.

T. Very sweet with an almost sour edge. Wonderful malt sweetness with the dark fuit notes, raisins. Alcohol is well veiled.

M. Medium body. High carbonation.

D. This is a unique take on a Dubbel. This is almost a cross between a Dubbel and a Flanders Red/Sour Ale. It works for me.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

First of all, I'm not that big into dubbels. However, I had to give this beer a try based solely on what a fantastic beer Hennepin is. Poured a chestnut brown with maroon highlights visible when held to light. Big, rich and creamy head. Smell was rich with malt and hinting of dried fruit and spices. The taste confirmed the scent. Dates, raisins, and plums were most prevalent. The silky smooth mouthfeel was fantastic and carbonation was spot on. I liked that this was a little less sweet than other dubbels I've had. This brew was a pleasant surprise and I will definitely be buying it again.

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

Dubbels are not my favorite style, but Ommegang's is an exceptionally true to style example.

A = Copper with hints of dark redish. High level of carbonation with nice head. Not a lot of lacing, but a fine looking beer.

S = Very complex smelling beer. Aromas of brown sugar, dark fruit esters, and dark malts.

T = Nice, although not as complex as the smell. Sweet malts are the dominant flavor with no hop flavors and slight fruit flavors. Very slight warm alcohol flavor. I would prefer it to finish a little drier.

M = Medium body. Not as soft as some of the other belgian, bottle-conditioned beers, but very suitable for the style.

D = Personally not very drinkable for me as I'm not a fan of the sweetness, but still....very true to style.

A very fine beer I enjoyed drinking. If someone asked me to provide them an American example of a Belgian Dubbel, I would have a hard time coming up with a better one.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Had this in a bomber at White Dog Cafe in Philly. Poured a dark amber purple color with a nice cream colored head. Smell was very malty and lightly fruity, maybe grapes with a slight bitter hoppy note and spices as well. Taste was super smooth medium body with perfect medium carbonation. Faintly fruity taste with strong malt and faint caramel notes. Nice balanced hoppy finish. Incredibly smooth and easy to drink beer. Excellent to have with dinner, fantastic beer but not overly complicated so as to complement a meal.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Pours a pretty ruby-merlot color with about an inch of foamy, tan head. Good retention, laces well.

S- Winey--like a merlot or cabernet, some apples, a hint of malty sweetness, dark fruits.

T- Some roasted malt with a little bit of caramel. A little alcohol, slight metallic twinge. Finishes with a little bitterness, some dark fruit (plums, cheeries?). Some cloves/Belgian spices linger in the background. Maltier than other Belgians, but that's true to style. As it warms, more of the dark fruit comes out.

M- Medium to full bodied. Moderate carbonation that keeps things moving.

D- Good, but I don't think I'll be able to drink two bombers. It's heavy, but delicious.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

I thought I would change things up a bit and try a Dubbel. I have been delving to deep into IPA's and DIPA's and decided I needed to take a break and expand my horizons. I've had this before and have reviewed it, but I find myself enjoying this beer more and more. Here is my take.

Poured a nice hazy brown into my tulip glass with a decent sized ivory colored head with a decent amount of head retention. Head shrinks down to a small ring around my glass.

This Dubbel has aroma's of sweet dark malt, with some good scents of caramel and brown sugar, but on a lighter note there where some assorted scents of dark fruit, but very light and subtle to its strong malt aroma.

The taste was pretty satisfying, one of the best Dubbels that I've had in a long time. Flavors of raisins and sweet caramel, the caramel notes where good, but this beer hits the sweet notes just right, not too much but not too little. It was followed by a nice smooth earthy finish. Ommegang did a good job hiding the alcohol in this beer.

The mouthfeel was medium with ample carbonation.

This is a good drink. This beer has a lot to offer to both veterans and those unaccustomed to Dubbels. I will pick it up again if I'm in the mood.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Beautiful dark beer with a complex aroma of clove and pepper and sour wine. The sourness is key to the flavor, like a red ale. There is definitely a sour wine flavor, but not in a negative way. Also heavy with dark fruit, like prune juice.

Not my favorite dubbel. Brothers Thelonius is more enjoyable to me.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

A- Pours a deep orangey-red with a glorious fluffy off-white/ivory head that dissipates fairly swiftly, leaving a ring of foam and minimal lacing.

S- Malt is very apparent. Also some plum or date notes, some kind of spice whose name eludes me, maybe anise or even pepper, maybe both or something else entirely. There's also something sweeter going on here, like burnt sugar.

T- Definitely sweet up front...that burnt sugar, I think I might be getting some maple here, too. Fruit becomes more evident immediately afterward, as well as some earthy taste. Finish is long and dry, with hops making a bit of a cameo appearance. Alcohol is certainly not as prominent as I expected, given the abv, making this selection dangerously easy to drink.

M- Champagne-like in its effervescence, creamy and smooth.

D- It may be that I just got off work and was dying for a beer, but this was much easier to drink than I expected. It's something that I'd have to remember to pace myself with, or I could see an evening with these ending in disorderly conduct unbecoming of a lady...

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a deep red, dark and clear. Beautiful thick head. Strong fruity aroma with a nice caramel malt beneath. Taste has strong cherry undertones and is surprisingly sweet. Strong carbonation detracts a little from the mouthfeel in my opinion. The taste remains fruity and caramelly (true to the scent) all the way down and the sweetness remains for a bit after the beer is gone. Quite satisfying.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a rich dark body with nice lacing. Smells sweet on the nose with honey and burnt sugar. It is light to the scent with deep perfuming scents of malt. On the taste it is complex and smooth with deep malts and a good bit of fruit. It is spicy and dry on the finish and still refreshing. Great carbonation and not as full-bodied as the color would denote. I paid 6 bucks for this because I spent the rest of my money on Westmalle Tripel, with that being said it is a tremendous beer.

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%

Color: pours brown. sits deep amber

Smell: some dark fruit. deep, rich sugary sweetness. little bit of spiciness and alcohol

Taste: dark fruit. hint of licorice. malt sweetness. alcohol is dangerously hidden. little bit of yeast in the finish

Mouthfeel: med body. moderate carbonation

Notes: overall pretty mellow dubbel. easy drinking and certainly delicious. in my opinion not quite as flavorful and brother thelonious

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

Nectar of the Gods

A beige creamy head that faded
Smelled very fruity, caramelly, and a bit nutty
Looked a very deep amber color
Tasted very sweet but not overbearing, a bit of caramel, very smooth on the palate with light carbonation, as it warms it tastes a bit nuttier

An amazing beer, definitely a new favorite

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Scored some of the cave-aged Abbey Ale that had been stored in upstate New York's Howe's Caverns from Sept. 2005 to October 2006. Now has an additional 2-1/2 years bottle age on it.

Appearance was a gorgeous reddish brown, creamy head that soon faded, but left a decent lace.

Smell was beautiful combination of earthy, nutty, floral, fruity.

Taste was malty sweet, caramel and nutty, perfect hint of sourness, earthy but not at all funky, didn't notice a bit of the 8.5% alcohol

The mouthfeel was full, fine carbonation, great mousse, very rich, long finish of caramel toffee and malt combined with sour nutty fruitiness.

One of the finest beers I've ever had. I don't own a cave, but maybe I better start storing some Abbey Ales in the cellar for a few years. A memorable beer drinking experience.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

From the bottle this pours a murky carmel color, thick and dark with a scant off-white head and bits of lacing. The aroma brings spritzy sweet malt and root with some chocolate hints. Pleasant and decided and very nice. The flavor is a very good brown bread, molasses and a touch of clove. There is some toffee and licorice but tons of malt here, brown sugar, sweetness in a medium body drinkable brew. Fine carbonation, very satisying as a substitute for dessert but may be a bit too sweet for some situations or tastes. Very good and well worth a try like most Ommegangs.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Used a Duvel glass for this offering from the 750ml bottle. What an experience....

Color is a dark brown with reddish hue. Active high foam that laces down the side.

Fruity floral smell with spices buried in the mix.

Taste is A+ fantastic. Malty with fruity overtunes. There's cherry in the that hints at being sour but never to disturb the palate. Loads of spices I can't pick out.

No issues with a 750ml bottle, could easily continue onto a second Very drinnkable. Highly recommened.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Beautiful rich dark amber. I poured this into a little 285mL weiss glass, and it retained a thick caked head on top, almost like whipped cream.

S: Slightly sweet, fruit and spice. Very pleasant.

T: An upfront light sweetness, spicy, a background of bitter hops mingling with tartness in a long finish.

M: Medium, lots of carbonation, very smooth.

D: I'm 3/4 of the way through this bottle and I could probably drink another after it. I'm actually drinking it more quickly than I expected.

Overall: You should be drinking this right now. Go buy a bottle. It's not that expensive. Go now. Stop reading.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

appearance: deep red amber

smell: high potency, caramel fruit sweetness

taste: a little more a fruity falvor vs. chinya red. really liked it.

mouthfeel: rish and tastes expensive

drinkability: I was pleasantly suprisd, it's not overrated, smooth and easy for how stong the ABV is.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Two fingers of incredibly frothy and a head that seemed so alive and inviting. Body is a dark brown and ruby. Head retention is nice; not much lacing to speak of.
S: Sweet, spicy, bitter chocolate undertones with hints of licorice. A semi-earthy aroma comes out, with some coffee and dark fruits in the back.
T: Incredibly sweet flavors in the beginning, reminiscent of a porter with tastes of chocolate and coffee. Complementary flavors of spice and a bitter hoppy finish. Fruit is left behind as well. Can't taste the 8.5% abv one bit. Some metal is discernible immediately after the pour but that eventually dies out.
M and D: Medium-bodied with tons of yummy carbonation, though the beer is still smooth going down. So easy and pleasant to drink, and the alcohol really sneaks up. I look forward to cracking open another 750 soon!

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Seen this around town for awhile, thought I'd give it a shot. I've only recently come around to accepting the Belgian style of using candied sugars, which is what can lead to "cidery" flavors, but once you know this, the flavor complexity goes far beyond that.

A: Deep browish-red, almost the color of the brown bottle, with equal clarity. Champagney fizziness visible, which seems to be pretty common with the style, but the carbonation dissipates a little too quickly.

S: Spicy, a little bit of alcohol odor that is fairly well masked with a lovely bouquet of dark, dried fruits (plums, raisins, raspberries...).

T: Wonderful flavor. The cidery flavor is there, but is strongly and properly overcome by bittersweet fruits. Raisons, both tart and sweet at the same time. Delicious Abbey Ale!

M: Seemingly perfect for the style. Dry, and champagne-like at first, but has a nice full body that lingers on the tongue. Very satisfying after a big dinner. Nice warming qualities.

D: Tremendously drinkable. Not something that you would want to drink all night, but that is not what this is for. Seems to me to be a perfect desert in itself, or something to accompany a rich, chocolatey desert...maybe topped with raspberries...mmm, now I'm hungry...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang