Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
DogFood11

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

For a belgian strong dark this is pretty lackluster in appearance, not much head retention or lacing to speak of.

Lots of licorice in the nose and taste, plumb, prune, dark grapes creep into the picture. My problem with this brew is it comes up short in the complexity and depth part of a good belgian. Taste drags on in the end and never really cleans up at all. Prunes sitting on your palate needs a cleanser.

Mouthfeel was syrupy, carbonation was above average and helped out.

Notes: Overall when you consider price per quality this is just average. This is my favorite style and to be honest this comes up short.

05-15-2006 03:33:46 | More by DogFood11
Drew966

Ommegang Abbey Ale pours a deep copper color with a tan head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Aroma is fruity, when it warms, it is more malty, with caramel being evident. Taste is in turns fruity, malty/caramel and maybe a bit of sour apple. It's also a bit peppery in the finish. Although the alcohol isn't overpowering it is noticeable to me. Doesn't knock my socks completely off, but its a pretty darn good beer. Definitely worth a try.

05-10-2006 01:06:10 | More by Drew966
TheBungyo

Washington

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

The pour stunned me. I was distracted after pouring and looked at my Orval goblet about 5 minutes later. The head was stubborn ... it look exactly as it had when I poured it. As I write this review it's been 10 minutes and the inch thick head still sits atop the brown/scarlet body as if it were a king in court. Lace clings to the side of my glass. I expect this from a nitro pour ... not a bottle!
The nose is like ambling through a massive garden full of roses. Floral notes leap at the nose followed by fleeting notes of orange and caramel.
Taste starts out an inoffensive sourness that brings to mind oranges, followed by an even caramel and something I can only describe as peppery butterscotch which I love. Mouth is sparsely carbonated and creamy.
Drinkability? I buy a lot of beer and this one is probably top of my list. I love this beer.

05-07-2006 11:31:23 | More by TheBungyo
Malpa

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

I just brought home a 12oz bottle (for $2.29 at Whole Foods). I poured it into a snifter.

Appearance: A very nice opaque amber color with a very full and rich tan colored head.
Smell: A strong nose full of complexity. Hard to pinpoint certain smells, other than previous Belgian Abbey Ales I have had before.
Taste and Mouthfeel: A nice and spicy/sweet malt taste with overtones of spices. It has a very nice mouthfeel too it. Not overly bitter with help from the carbonation to take the edge off.
Drinkability: Very drinkable. Though use caution with the higher 8.5% Abv.

All in all...I would buy it again, perhaps in the availible 750ml corked bottle. I will also be trying Ommegang's other offerings.

05-07-2006 03:35:30 | More by Malpa
Blakaeris

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours deep chestnut brown with hints of orange. Head is a massive, creamy and tan.

Smell is a healthy dose of belgian yeastiness, dark fruit, and spicy alcohol.

Taste is rich and full. Roasted malt up front. Dates, plum, and cherry fruit notes. Slightly woody. Generous chocolate and a delicious alcohol spiciness with a slightly tart edge. Flavors blend smoothly. Malty sweet with a crisp dry finish. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. cabaonation lends a soft and smooth character.

This is a very nice and complex brew. I definitely recommend it.

05-01-2006 23:46:33 | More by Blakaeris
MurphyMacManus

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

750mL bottle into snifter.

Appearance: deep mahogany with rocky off-white head that stays forever.

Smell: Malty sweet and vaguely spicy--like a Duvel with more malt and some dark fruit.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Vinous, yet more complex than a wine. Sweetness from malt and dark fruit flavors play off the Duvel-like spiciness--which I take to be the hops. And the carbonation just serves to accent the bite.

Drinkability: It tastes great, so that wouldn't be a barrier to my consuming this in mass quantities. It's the alcohol content that would be the limiting factor. A session with this would probably be a bad idea.

05-01-2006 04:24:51 | More by MurphyMacManus
plaztikjezuz

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

bought a bottle at world market in lansing, michigan. ($5.99 for a 750ml)

pours a very deep mohogany, with a sturdy head that last the duration of drinking.
the aroma is malty, plum, fruity.
the flavor is rich with malt, a good bitterness, hopsack, plum, spice.
ommegang abbey is one of my favorites, great beer, awesome flavor.

04-30-2006 05:10:56 | More by plaztikjezuz
oolite

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured a dark brown into one of my beautiful Ommegang chalices. Perfect sized head with some lasting power - their website even has a demonstration of how to pour this beer perfectly.

Very strong nose and flavors of dark fruits and caramel - malts really come through. I think the flavors are a bit too complex and the overall experience a bit too visceral for me to give a terribly informative review here, though. Every bit as rich and powerful as most dark Belgian ales as well, although not so much as to be relatively less drinkable.

This beer is certainly a contender among any authentic Belgian beer, and, for us Americans, as a very reasonable price tag.

04-22-2006 01:24:24 | More by oolite
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

12 ounce capped bottle, with instructions for cellaring and serving temperatures, as well as pouring. As with all bottle-conditioned beers, I intend to swirl the last two ounces and enjoy the yeast with it as the "second beverage" in this bottle.
Dark amber mahogany semi-cloudy body under a lusciously huge light-tan head that tightens and settles to leave thick foamy lacing on the glass. Lovely.

Smell of raisins, vanilla, horse blanket, musty and heavy. Funkily fascinating.

Taste is clove-spicey and peppery layered on dark and slighly bitter vanilla with a biscuity malt foundation. Mmmmm. Gotta love them funky Belgians! Not at all sour, but somewhat horsey.

Mouthfeel is nice and sticky, round and warming without being sweet. Nice dry bitter finish.

Way too drinkable! So smooooth and easy.

04-20-2006 03:27:09 | More by ColoradoBobs
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

The appearance is positively phenomenal. I can't even describe it. It's nearly bringing tears to my eyes. A deep ruby body fills my Gulden Draak tulip, capped with four inches of absolutely perfect head. I mean absolutely perfect. Mountainous, rocky, fluffy, light, creme' brulee', meringue, whipped-cream, cumumulous - it's so thick, so full, so fluffy and shapely, it makes patterns that are absolutely artful. As it slowly, every so slowly falls, it clings to the glass, leaving columns a half inch thick, flying buttresses of thick yellow-tan foam with clear air underneath like the arches in the Utah desert, a sculpture no mortal could reproduce.

Raisins, whiskey, vanilla bean, caramellized sugars. Deep, just a little fruity, with a warm zip.

The flavor is malty, with deep, aged fruit and roasty sugar flavors. Raisins and blackcurrants are evident, with a rich but quaffable alcohol and spice.

Round in the mouth - A smooth, cool, light sensation unique to dark Belgians, with very little tingle of carbonation except when swallowing. The finish goes on and on, a half-dry, half-sticky roasty, grassy bitterness.

Overall, a phenomenal-looking, good tasting brew. Another example of well-crafted Belgian style beer made in North America.

04-15-2006 00:18:45 | More by Tupperwolf
NolateM

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

This was probably the most aesthetically pleasing beer I have ever seen. I poured the whole 12 oz. bottle into a mug (I know, kind of ridiculous to drink a beer like this in a mug). I probably should have shared it with someone. It poured beautifully, deep dark crimson, with a thick off-white head that couldn't possibly be stopped.

As soon as I smelled it I went "whoa!" This was my first abbey ale, and I'm still kind of getting used to Belgian-style ales. It smelled strong and fruitlike.

The taste is something like I've never quite imagined in a beer. It tastes like figs, plums, and caramel - and I guess it SORT OF tastes like beer. And I mean, even if you aren't a connoisseur and haven't learned to do formal tastings or anything, you WILL notice these flavors in this beer. The high ABV is definitely apparent in the flavor. It's a beer that I'm glad I tried and think back going "wow, that was SOME brew," but could never finish an entire 12 ounces of it. I didn't finish that mug, but was amazed to see that the thick creamy head lingered on the beer the entire time - and it was in the mug for well over an hour!

If you're feeling bold and adventurous (or just happen to like very sweet, fruity, dark Belgian ales), give it a go!

04-13-2006 19:38:10 | More by NolateM
scooter231

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Had this at the Blind Tiger. This is delicious on tap, absolutely delicious. The flavor is deeper, richer, meatier. Complex coffee flavors, dark fruits, bitter espresso- just delicious. Chewy and creamy, and a sneaky eight and a half percent. More people need to get this on tap- asap.

04-12-2006 23:49:20 | More by scooter231
bearrunner44

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Note: This is from a bottle of the Belgian-brewed Ommegang made by Duvel.

Appearance: Deep ruby. Dark and mysterious, with a big sandy-brown head. Excellent retention.

Smell: Rich and fruity. Plum, cherry, grape, and banana. Juicy sweetness, tempered by the soft earthy quality of the yeast. The malt lends dry toastiness, keeping a low profile beneath the fruity esters.

Taste: Devilishly smooth. The malt can be somewhat dry and biscuity, but it's complimented by lush fruity sweetness. Tastes of red grapes and plums, with a light touch of subtle-yet-brash cherry flavor and maybe a bit of lemon peel. The fruit lingers on the tongue before being partially cut off by the dry doughiness of the yeast and a light kiss of alcoholic burn. Smooth and sweet, yet dry and rustic. Extremely well-rounded.

Mouthfeel: Moderate-to-full in body. It feels a little less bulky than you would expect from an 8.5% ABV, but the carbonation and the slight remnants of sediment give it substance.

Verdict: This one takes the strong dark ale style and knocks it out of the park. Subtle and nuanced, yet still pleasantly rough-around-the-edges. Truly world class.

04-12-2006 02:36:59 | More by bearrunner44
lpayette

Vermont

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a snifter
Appearance- Dark ruby/mohogany in color. Off-white, very healthy head.

Smell- pleasant banana and other fruityness going on- apple juice. weird, but good.

ITaste and Mouthfeel - Something like Juicy Juice Brand Apple Juice here... Banana and other fruits too. It's not all fruit though as caramel malt is evident as well.

Drinkability- This is actually one of the most drinkable belgian strong ales I've had... The label says not to disturb the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, but I found that I prefer it with. It actually somehow manages to mellow out the beer a bit. Pretty interesting brew.

04-11-2006 05:13:23 | More by lpayette
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a nice beer. It's a dark brown color with a small head and some lacing. It has a sweet, fruity odor, as well as some malt. The taste is great. A sweet fruit(plum/raisin/citrus) with some caramel and hops in there too. It was just a tiny bit too carbonated for me, but overall a very nice, drinkable beer.

04-10-2006 23:55:59 | More by lordofthewiens
audiojon

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

This tastes more like a dubbel than a dark ale, and is one of the tastier ones I've had. Plum, cherry, and even notes of fig are present. Smell does not conceal the alcohol at all, plenty of phenols here. There is a slight grassy taste to it, similar to a saison, that seems to be a typical feature of many dubbels. Could be the hops, but I'm not positive. Overall, I'd say this is an above average Belgian style, better than many actual Belgians I've had. This is def a good deal at $5.69. Will I drink it again? Definitely. Will I seek it out? Probably not too often. All in all, recommended. It may be just what you're looking for, and is definitely worth a try.

04-07-2006 03:13:24 | More by audiojon
zeff80

Missouri

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out a cloudy, copper color with a large head. Great lacing, too. You can smell the hops and spices instantly. The hop and spice taste is apparent at first sip. It also has a slight bitter kick to it, as well. It has a smooth mouthfeel. It is very drinkable, but due to the high abv I would only have one. Great "American" Belgium brew.

04-04-2006 18:50:50 | More by zeff80
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

It impresses me that this is an American interrpretation of this style. This is magnificent! It poured into my Konings Hoeven goblet a dark reddish brown with a heathly amount of carbonation and a rocky light khaki head. Sticky lacing webbed the edges of my glass. Smell exhibited a malty sweetness with spices present, as well as a slightly noticeable alcohol character hiding deep inside. Taste was of raisins and sweet malts, turning a bit bitter with a woody / earthy note, then finishing with a lovely dry roasted malty sensation. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth and quite appropriate to the style. Even at 8.5%abv, I found this quite drinkable. Not exactly what I would consider sessionable, but I won't have any trouble finishing a 750mL by myself. A marvelous ale, indeed!
Blessed Be
-SS

04-04-2006 01:15:39 | More by SilentSabre
daliandragon

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

The head looks very impressive upon the pour with thick rocky foam atop opaque brownish ale. Spices and dark malt dominate the nose with a backround of some kind of fruit. This is almost exactly what I have in mind when I think "Belgian", at least appearance wise.
Thick and sweet tasting in the mouth with a surprisingly clean finish. The taste is full of chocolate flavors, which help mostly mask the alcohol. This is a nice tasting beer, although not as complex as many Belgian style dark ales. Complimentary mouthfeel and nicely speckled lacing complete a pretty decent beer.
Another strong offering from the boys at Ommegang. Not as good as Heneppin but better than Rare Vos in my pecking order.

04-01-2006 10:20:45 | More by daliandragon
Schooly

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

From my first rating ever in Jan '05.
Delicious. Good size brownish red head that that lasts long and even tastes great. Once you get to the dark amber liquid though, it’s a real treat. Taste of cherries was most prominent for me, but not overpowering. I did note the chocolate and caramel too. A little too robust to drink a bunch at a time, you want to savor it like a fine wine.

04-01-2006 01:50:35 | More by Schooly
jj21

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

After fighting with the cork for a while- Pours a flakey bronze into a stemmed tulip glass. Small bubbles of carbonation make up the great tan head. Very aromatic musty oak and flowery with hints of caramel. Tastes of sweet caramel and fruit dance on the tongue while the slight alcohol burn is surprising for only being 8%. Higher in alcohol percent and mouthfeel, but still a very drinkable beer.

03-30-2006 19:39:49 | More by jj21
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

i have a soft spot for ommegang so i hope this doesnt disappoint

A - dark brown with red aspects, thick long lasting tan head

S - has a definite dark sweetness in the aroma with the delicate hint of raisins

T - as the aroma suggested it is very sweet, it also has an intense vanilla aftertaste, very delightful

M - fizzy and smooth simultaneously, very good

D - high, an easy brew

another fine product from Ommegang, i like Hennepin better, but this is also good

03-28-2006 13:26:22 | More by sinstaineddemon
DaggerEyes

4.45/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a chalice
Ommegang's Abbey Ale is a fairly clear and beautiful burgandy with hints of ruby. Multiple beads of carbonation stream steadily to the finger high head that remains after the two fingers of head that rose up after the initial pour. The head is hearty and frothy, comprised or an endless sea of small bubbles

The nose is heavily colored by Malty scents peppered with sweet carmel and bready scents.
The taste is right on target for the what the nose would lead you to believe. Very complex yet the malt presence is felt with subtle notes of fruit.

this abbey ale is very active on in the mouth and has a dry finish.

Poured to celebrate my acceptance into an MFA program I was hoping to get into and a wonderful celebratory beer this is!

03-19-2006 22:30:45 | More by DaggerEyes
Avagadro

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

I have had my eye on this beer in particular for several months now. I finally ran across it again and couldn't help but get a couple bottles. This is a heavily carbonated beer so the cork goes flying when you pop it. The best thing about this beer is its aroma. I used a tulip glass, which supported a healthy head throughout the whole experience. The color was a nice brown with a tint of red. It was alittle cloudy due to the fact that this is a bottle conditioned beer. This beer has a great taste to it too. The malt is obviously the center of attention, but there is still a good hoppy flavor in it. Overall this is an amazing beer for ale lovers.

03-19-2006 19:23:06 | More by Avagadro
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

Deep burgundy with a shy head, some red hues appear into the beer.

Smell is very piney, spruce with some alcohol esters coming to tickle the nose. I also noticed a weird smell, smell of cheese, especially Oka.

Taste is piney, malty with a shy hoppy balanced note that comes with alcohol flavors and end with some cherry feels.

03-18-2006 07:41:54 | More by 3Vandoo