Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang is one of those beers that I can easily find locally and thank god it is, wonderful stuff. Pours a dark brown/orange color, with a head that lasts for quite a while. Tastes very nice, spices, dried fruit (apricot?) caramel, a bit of alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is very nice and finishes off easy. Definetly a fan favorite.

2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Popped the cork on this 750 ml bottle, and glugged it into an Orval Chalice. Looks ok. Auburn, leaning to plum in color, gentle lacing at the edges. Head did fade away quicker than I expected, and left only minor islanding.

Aroma is yeasty caramel, spiced candied fruit, toffee, and detecting a slight amount of pepper.

Taste is sweet, and too much lingering sweetness on the pallet for my liking. Dry intake, which is nice, but wishing there was more hops, or pepper to balance the finish. I couln't see drinking more than One of these.

*Update* (15 minutes later) man, this beer just gets worse as I drink it, and it warms. Sickly, sticky sweet... not sure if I'll finish this one, and I never throw beer out (unless it's spoiled). Also no sign of head now, and zero lacing, just looks like a flat brown unappealing liquid.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Serving type: 750ml Bottle w/ cork and cage

Appearance: Bubbly white head above a reddish-brown cloudy liquid. An intricate lace develops on the glass as you move through the beer.

Smell: Very clean fruit smells come through--orange, lemon, raisin, date, fig

Taste: Lots of lemon, raisins and grapefruit. This is not overwhelmingly sweet, as I expected it would be. The alcohol is noticeable but not strong. A bit of grassy hop is present.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing with low carbonation and a clean, refreshing aftertaste.

Drinkability: This one is quite drinkable! The sweetness was very subdued and made this a refreshing ale.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

This is the brewed in Belgium version. Still one of my all time favorites. This comes very very close to being like the version brewed in Cooperstown with subtle differences. The yeast is definitely different, changing the taste and mouthfeel ever so slightly... perhaps even improving upon it? Can't say for certain; really a matter of preference. Cellaring this guy just might do wonders... assuming you can wait that long.
On a side note, maybe it's time for Ommegang to start bottling some Wild Ale!

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

This wasn't a bad brew . . . but it wasn't good either. I really liked Hennepin from this brewery, and I enjoyed several other Belgian Strong Dark Ales, so I thought this guy might be a winner, but it wasn't. The caramel notes were just overpowering in this brew. It was really just cloyingly sweet, and not like a bock, but sweet like candy. Really, just, too sweet.
I don't know what it is, but when I naively say, "I don't like Belgian beers", I mean, I don't like this particular caramel flavour. It just dominates some belgian style beers and when it is there, I am just not going to enjoy the brew. It's not in all dark ales, so I'm not sure what it is. Candi sugar maybe? That'd be my guess. Nasty stuff that.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

750 mL, corked and caged. Not just a "Belgian-style" abbey ale, as this batch was "Brewed and bottled exceptionally in Belgium" for Ommegang by their buddies at Duvel Moortgat. Pours a clear, deep reddish brown with a fluffy light tan head, quite imposing. The nose is sweet, boozy berries and dried fruits smothered in vanilla with undercurrents of anise. The taste is dry, vinous, and fruity -- prunes, raisins, mashed banana. There's a bit of cloying sweetness at the finish with a dry and somewhat sour aftertaste, sort of like an overripe orange. Creamy mouthfeel, but a bit on the thin side, surprisingly. Also quite a lot of peppery carbonation in the mouth. Highly drinkable as the 8.5 % abv is hardly noticeable. This is a little thinner, and also a bit less complex than I remember the domestically produced stuff I had several times over the last year. That one would have rated all 5's possibly. This Belgian take on an American interpretation of a Belgian style (?...) is still world class, but the Cooperstown-brewed ale (still available in 12oz. bottles) is downright sublime.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance: Brown and murky with a thin head, lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Fruity with a touch of malt.

Taste: Very carbonated with the predominant sensation of malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Thin but chewy.

Drinkability: This beer is highly acclaimed, and yet I was not very impressed by it. Perhaps it was a bad bottle, but it just seemed too sweet and carbonated to rate very high. It is drinkable and reasonably priced, but I personally much prefer true Belgian brews like Corsendonk and Chimay.

Dam! This is just a fantastic beer. This is the first perfect beer I have drank. This is as good or better than any Belgian Ale I have tried.

Uncorked the beer at 50 degrees F and poured into a wide mouth goblet. Sweet floral smells danced into my nose. OhYeah!

Appearance: This beer pours a murky ruby brownish coloration. The head was ruby tinged and towered above the beer. The head settled down into a luxurious foam on the surface of the beer. Lacing plays down the side of the glass. Just perfect.

Smell: The beer has a spicy candy sweet introduction. As the intial greeting is at an end fruity sweetness stretches the smell further. The beer has a funky musty smell that is very pleasing.

Taste: The taste lives up to the smell. The intial taste is a yeasty sweet fruity experience. The taste ends with almost bone dryness.

Mouthfeel: This is a full bodied well carbonated treat. The beer is definately a smooth chewy mouthfull.

Drinkability: This beer is just absolutely incredible. I was wishing the bottle would never end.

Just to restate this was an incredible beer drinking experience. This beer is as good or better than all the Belgians I have drank. I am amazed that it is an American Micro Brew. I am sure you could Pepsi challenge knowledgeable beer drinkers and they could not pick the American brew verses the Belgian beer. Dam this beer is good!

1/29/06 Today I had the good fortune to drink a Ommegang Abbey ale that was cave aged from March 4, 2004 through September 30th 2004. The beer was everything I said it was above; however, I think the beer is even smoother at this time. I dont know if cave aging is just a gimmick but I liked it.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Hmmm....this one is an interesting ale. Not expecting anything at all, I pour from the 750ml bottle and a absolutely gorgeous, deep, red translucent color appears with a remarkable thick, chunky, beige head appears. So far so good, I was very impressed. Then the sweet fruity aroma filled the air and I caught hints of apples and plums, very, very nice. So, naturally at this point I was expecting an outstanding flavor. However, I found a flavor that didn't instantly blow me away. It was nice, good fruitiness, nice hops and malts and a noticable alcohol hit on the back end. Still, overall, it is a good Belgian that I would recommend, but probably would buy others first.

Pours a beautiful cherry-brown hue with a significant cap of creamy, active foam.. gorgeous.

Big malty odor... rich, almost sweet in the nose. At the same time, it is citrusy and zesty.... interesting.

Big flavours.... cherry, leather, a hint of vanilla, and some soft citrus notes. Very malty... but not overwhelmingly so.

A bit overcarbonated for my taste.... but the thickness is perfect for this style.

Very nice example of the style, and at an extremely reasonable price.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This is one of my top 3 Belgian Strong Darks. Plums and roasty malts dominate the beer. Exceptional smell and head which remains the whole way down the glass. Tough to put this one down before it puts you down!! The Belgian Candi is present with yeasty glows. Awesome beer and awesome price. I wish I could find this in a six pack. If you want to get started with Belgians, this is the one to try.

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Nice head on this beer that retained it's lacing quite well. Poured out into a nice cloudy chestnut brown.

Smell: Fruity citrus smell going on here. It was hard to coax any smell out of it at first but as it warmed up it took on a maple syrup characteristic.

Taste: This one will bite you a bit. A little on the rubbing alcohol side with hints of citrus, spice and pine. It is one of the more unique tasting beers I have had but nothing that I enjoyed too much. I was hoping for something with a little more balanced to it as the alcohol was a bit overwhelming. This brew does have a rather pleasant orange pulp aftertaste to it.

Mouthfeel: About the consistency that you expect from a Belgium strong ale. Creamy and smooth would best describe it.

Drinkability: Not so much. It was hard to get the bottle down but I could see myself enjoying a split bottle with someone.

Notes: I will try this again in the future to just get a handle on the style.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Served at cellar temperature in the brewery's own Ommegang chalice. This bottle has been aging for 3 1/2 months since the purchase date, as suggested by the brewery to maximize smoothness and balance.

Appearance- This could be dessert in a glass. The beer pours a clear, ruby chestnut with a slick, rolling viscosity. What really does it for me though is the head on this baby... it is as close to perfection I have seen on a Belgian ale of this type. Soapy, spongelike, foamy bubbles of the smallest perceivable kind stick together and form a beautiful topper to this masterpiece. A full three fingers thick on the pour, it shrinks gradually and never loses its structure. The cobweb-like lacing is some of the best I've ever seen, with virtually no breaks the whole way down.

Smell- A hugely appetizing display of moist, drenched fruit (cherries, figs, bananas, dates) that really shows depth and concentration. Amazingly, the alcohol takes a distant back seat to the fruit and malt presence, even at 8.5%. Balanced beyond words.

Taste- All of the above attributes, which could have set the bar too high to deliver the goods, have resulted in the most satisfying and enjoyable beer I have had the pleasure of drinking recently. Exquisitely balanced fruit and malts, with perfectly placed spices and delicate hops, hit the mark dead on. Cellaring this beer for three months has given this beer the opportunity to work out any minor flaws that could have hindered the overall balance.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Creamy. Perfect. The flavors in the beer are emphasized by the most delicate and subdued carbonation possible, resulting in an experience almost too good to be true. Paired with a fantastic sirloin, this killed. Alone afterwards, I write this review with just a swallow left in my glass.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

If you like dark Belgians in general you will probably like this one. It is very typically Belgian-dark in its attributes (in my experience) yet above average as well. Pours out with a substantial tan colored head. In your glass it looks amber but when held to the light it has a ruby/copper glow to it. A great appearance.

The smell instantly gave me raw sugar. It has (again I'll say) very Belgian strong, dark characteristics in the smell. It is that, somewhat sweet, sparkly light (champagne of beers) attribute. Second I got the smell of toffee and subtle fruit undertones.

The taste is malty fruity and light. This is a unique and confusing taste. I LIKE THAT! It tastes like sugar but it is not sweet. I concurred with another BA friend that it is the dryness of this beer that troughs you off. Similar to champagne (which may be sweet) the sweet taste is only right up front, and then it’s the dryness that you notice. So it does not drink like a very sweet beer. The mouthfeel is very light, and crispy with an intriguing fruity after taste. It is very carbonated so you feel the tiny bubbles on your tongue. It is a quite refreshing beer.

It is very guzzleable. It’s remarkably easy to put down, maybe because of the light refreshing mouth feel or maybe because of how light the beer sits in your stomach. Regardless, if you are looking for a beer that you'll hardly notice, that won't get you full or sit in your stomach this maybe the one you looking for. I would definitely consider this beer to be Recommended.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours out of the bottle a dark reddish brown with a big light brownish head.
The first aroma I recognize is the caramel sweetness with a fruity alcohol background. The aromas make you just want to get to drinking this beer.
There is a big cinnamon character in this beer that really compliments the belgian fruit elements. Sweet figs, plums, and cherries amongst a maltiness that reminds me of dark whole grain bread that still has that yeasty smell when its hot.
This beer doesnt have as big a mouthfeel as some others, its got good carbonation, but is lighter than I had expected.
This is a great sipping beer. Another tremendous beer from ommegang.

2.3/5  rDev -44.7%

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Appearance- dark reddish brown with a thick tan head. Very carbonated.
Smell- sweet. sugar, cherries, plums, raisins, and alcohol.
Taste- sweet with hints of burnt hops, raisins (which I hate!), prunes and rubbing alcohol.
Mouthfeel- sweet at first ending with burning alcohol.

Overall- not very pleased witht this fruity burning mess. I was able to drink but will not purchase again.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

L- dark chestnut color with ruby hue. Thin, but foamy brownish/tan head that quickly dissipates with some slight cling on the glass. Very clean look.

A- Fruit jumps out right away (plums maybe), along with a lot of tingly alcohol on the nose. Some raz chocolate comes through as well. However, the alcohol kills some sweetness.

T- Sweet plums up front along with caramel and some chocolate. Actually, it reminds me a lot of black liqourice. The alcohol burns up the finish a bit, and leaves my palate a bit tingly. However, very tasty.

F- Tingly, burning carbonation up front but a decent light body through the finish. A bit of drying on the swallow that is caused by the alcohol burning the tip of my tongue.
D- Very nice brew! Good flavor, lots of it to drink in a 750ml bottle! Yummy!!!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I love the verbage on the back of the bottle. "Handle with care, but drink for delight." Classic.

The color of the beer is ruby red and burgundy. Translucent when held to the light, the continuous stream of tiny bubbles rise from the bottom of the tulip.

The head is very rich and creamy. It is a tannish, reddish color.

The nose is tart, acidic fruit.

The taste is very complex. Tart, acidic fruit notes up front with a smooth candy like backbone. Nice finish. Next sip, please.

A highly drinkable beer. Careful with the 8.5 % abv.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a regular 12 oz. glass, purchased at Avalon in Richmond.

Appearance: Beautiful amber, hazy body throughout. Hues of dark red, almost like a hefeweizen but red and brown. Head doesn't sustain very well because of the glass I feel, but the lacing's decent. Overall it's fantastic to look at.

Smell: Dark fruit and candied tropical fruit mostly. Some spices, some clove, soaked raisins, maybe some vanilla, heavy yeast and dark bread. Very well-crafted, and fabulous as it warms (even more so than I expected).

Taste: The candied fruit is at the forefront along with some spice. Some cherries, plum, raisins, a bit of brown sugar. Finishes a bit crisp and sweet, then turns dry at the very end. Extremely complex for sure.

Mouthfeel: Huge burst of initial carbonation, with a moderately heavy body, both working really well. Slightly creamy and silky too once the carbonation lessens in the mouth. A treat.

Drinkability: A hugely complex and impressive brew, especially by a domestic brewer of Belgians (Allagash also being on of the more impressive domestic Belgian breweries). I think it holds up to many imports, and it's a great version of the style to start with for price and availability. I'll certainly be buying more.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours form 750ml bottle into 24 oz glass. Nice pour strong 3 finger head that settles to 1/2 finger holding steady. A nice lace follows the drink down the glass. The smell is full and sweet, like fruit sugars from raisens or plums, a nice bold toasty malt with a slight grain presence in the back very deep smell every waft brought out something new, cocoa and brown sugar, ginger very complex, just great...the best smelling brew I have ever had the pleasure to drink. The taste is just as pleasing a nice malty front sugary and just great. A full presence from front to back, sweet, then tangy with a tint of sourness, the plum sweetness is back in the taste with a nice hop follower. I really enjoyed this one. The abv shows up more and more as the beer warms from a 45 deg storage temp. That really makes the beer. A creamy full and smooth mouthfeel that is carbonated just right tingling my cheeks and tongue. If you have not had this one go get it ASAP. This is a great brew...I am amazed.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz. bottle

Pours a deep reddish brown. On the hazy side, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The head is thick and dense and is almost light orange in color.

Smell is sweet and fruity from the yeast working it's magic. Smells like candy.

Taste is rich and malty up front followed by a wave of fruity-yeasty goodness and finishes somewhat clean and dry. Not nearly as sweet as it smells, which is a good thing. Quite a complex mesh of flavors. I look forward to periodic samplings to see how it ages. I sense almost no alcohol.

This has got a very meaty body that goes beautifully with the flavor. It's a full course meal.

Insanely easy to drink. The ABV will keep me in check if I try for too many at one sitting....

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle aged 1.5 years in my basement cellar.

Pours a clear ruddy brown with a frothy head that is so brown it looks like it should come from a stout.

Smell is pretty light and phenolic. Could be mistaken for a red wine except for the phenolic character - something light from the Rhone? - with the red fruit nose.

Taste is strawberries, bruised bananas (very sweet) and other fruity flavors braced by some dark spices.

Mouthfeel is nice and bubbly without being prickly. Smooth.

Very drinkable. I like this more after a year and a half in the cellar.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Served from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Poured a dark bronze color with a mocha colored head. Not much smell to detect – perhaps some hints of alcohol. Fabulous taste with a complexity of fruit and berry flavors. Alcohol was present, as one would expect from an 8.5% abv ale, but it was not not overwhelming. Mouthfeel was slightly carbonated with woody overtones. Easily drinkable, though not on par with some of the Unibroue “Belgian” offerings.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured into the glass a very nice dark amber with a good sized head that didn't stick around very long. What was left was a fine lacing around the glass.

The smell is quite inviting with fruity tones mixed with a sweet malty aroma and a bit of alcohol.

The taste was less complex than I thought it would be with a good dose of plum notes and some malt but not much else. Still, all in all, I liked it and would drink it again.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml bottle corked and caged

Appearance: Poured a hazy burgundy color with an off white color head of foam. This lace will remain through out the entire drinking pleasure.

Smell: A pleasant aroma of dark friuts like cherries and plums, different malts, assortment of spices, and some alcohol. Once it warms up, more of the aroma will emerge.

Taste: You really taste those dark fruits that you smelled. After all those dark fruits, there was also some malts, lots of different spices, that all ended with a nice dry hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with plenty of carbonation. It was the mouthfeel were I stared to fell the alcohol go into effect.

Drinkability: An excellent affordable Belgian Style Ale that was brewed in the good old U.S. of A. Although at 8.5% this is a beer where you can drink the whole 750ml by yourself.

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang