Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros

wow! I can't believe i waited so long to try this one. Outstanding offering reminiscent of Westy8 in my opinion.
Poured a deep hazy brown with hints of ruby/copper. It boasted a 2inch off white head that was fairly creamy with a touch of fizz to it that dwindled slowly and left lacing throughout. Aroma was chocolate and fruity with hints of port and raisin. The tatse is a big malt punch layered with chocolate and raisin. very fruity but not overly sweet at all. the fruit tastes were so well blended I could not pick any particular one out. The mouthfeel was full bodied and left a slight warming from the alcohol which was well hidden. almost too hidden which made this one even easier to drink. excellent

kegerator, May 02, 2005

Pours out a dark ruby/brownish color with a tannish head. Some lacing was left on the glass, but not really that much. Nose was wonderful. All you need to do is just take a whiff and you'll get a bunch of aromas. Dark fruit, lots of spices yet there's a candy-like sweetness that goes along with the spiciness. Everything mellows together in here. This is also one of the better beer's I've tasted yet. Apples, banana, and other fruit stand out the most, along with a sweetness to go along with it. It's not cloying at all. The cave aging really mellows out this beer and all the flavors come together so well. This is only my second all 5s for a beer, and this beer deserves it. Truly an experience. (And worth the money)

necoadam, Apr 29, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

It pours a lightly hazed honey/caramel brown, lively and carbonated, and a stiff three fingers of white head expands rapidly and lingers long. Quaint lacing traces the inside of the glass all the way down.

The aroma is fruity melange, with apples, cherries, and dried fruit tones very present. A vague spice character wends its way through the sweeter parts, and a slight alcohol glimpse lays warning as well.

The first wave of flavor is just that, thrusting forward the fruity sweetness of apples and pears, cherries, and the slight tang of dried fruits. The spice continues to lay back, remaining indistinct but present, and the alcohol makes more of a play here, warming considerably. A gentle bite of banana and more dried fruit linger at the finish.

Medium bodied, it feels alive on the tongue, and coats the palate with everything that's going on.

This is one wonderfully fruity, busy beer. And that busyness is not a bad thing, as it makes it interesting and fun. The fruit and spice and tanginess combine to make this a very enjoyable warmer, but it is the ABV, obvious and pushy that limits just how much of it I would want in a sitting. But regardless, whatever amount I do decide to enjoy will be appreciated and anticipated once it's gone.

Foxman, Apr 26, 2005

*Cave Aged Ommegang*

I first tried Ommegang back in August 2004 and it instantly became my favorite beer. It has obtained somewhat of a clut status among m friends and roommates. We all love it. Thanks to a visit by Ommegang to the Wine Gallery in Brookline, MA for a tasting session, this beer was available for purchase. Lucky me!

I am giving this beer all 5's because I find no flaws in it at all. This is also the first beer I am awarding all 5's to. Poured from a 750mL bottle. The color is beautiful. Dark ruby color with a tan/orange head. The amount of carbonation is just right. The aroma is top notch as well. Sweet, caramel malts with light citrusy hops. Apples and pears stand out above all. The taste is even fruitier than the aroma suggests. Tons of apples, pears, plums, raisins, and berries. It's balanced nicely though by the rich malts. The smooth mouthfeel lets you sip it with ease until the bottle is empty. I could drink this everyday and all day.

Compared to regular Ommegang that has not been cave-aged, this beer has a little more complexity in the aroma and taste. The fruity aspect of it really comes to life. It's just a notch above the regular version. Could this be the ULTIMATE BEER?!?! It's simply the best beer I've ever had so far. Second to none.

Oh my god, OMMEGANG!

Jacobob10, Apr 23, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

I really enjoyed this beer. The bottle is labeled with lots of interesting information about the brewery, Belgium, Cooperstown, glassware selection... etc. check it out for yourself. It's a caged and corked beauty of a bottle that is both shapely and big (1 pint 9.4 oz). OK let's get to the beer itself.
Gorgeous! Caramel colored brew topped with a big fat red and tan head. I don't even notice the carbonation but somehow there seems to be a ring of fluff around the edge of the goblet.
The aroma is like a fermented fruitcake. There's plums, raisins, some cherries, maybe some apricots.
Taste - Very rich and fruity with a great body and superb balance. There is a wash of flavor that starts at the front of your mouth with some Maraschino cherry and dried fruit flavors. The finish is very banana with a dry plantain taste - so nice!
I have really come to like the Ommegang offerings. If you see this, grab it! Follow the recommendations on the bottle and enjoy.

Chadbrew, Apr 20, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a great american attempt at a very difficult style of brew. The beer was lookin very nice as it flowed into my glass with a huge off white head and great dark reddish brown color. The smell was filled with alchoholic plum scents and a burnt maltiness that was very inviting. The taste was definantly on the sweet side with the malts taking a doppelbock-like front row seat and letting you know that it is there. The flavor explodes in your mouth with a rush and then the aftertaste is very dry which is not something that I have experienced too often....it was very nice. Worth a try for sure.

Dmann, Apr 19, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 750 ml into two goblets (spouse and I). Dark mahogany with beige head, some lacing. Smell early on was overpoweringly plastic. After about ten minutes it settled into a dark fruity alcohol smell. Taste is prunes, malt, pepper and alcohol. Finishes like an inexpensive tawny port. Mouthfeel is fruits and alcohol. Beer tastes bigger than it is. What an excellent digestif this would make. However, I had it with dinner, a hearty beef roast with a horseradish sauce and this beer more than holds it own with these flavors. The spouse is still raving about how good this beer is with this dish.

pentathlete, Apr 18, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

poured a dark brown-amber murky mysterious color with moderate tan head that remained as fine lacing. The smell is of fruit mixed with the dark forest. The taste mathes the smeel with dark fruity overtones. Definitely a sipping beer, but each sip makes your want to have another. As it warms the flavor becomes even more pronounced. A great beer to enjoy with friends on a cool spring evening

tgbljb, Apr 13, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Medium bodied, rich chestnut red color with a massive creamy tan head.

Aroma is fruity - mostly banana with a touch of dark cherries, with caramel, alcohol, yeast and spice.

Taste is also very fruity -bananas, pears, dark cherries, nuts, sweet bread, alcohol. Finishes with just a touch of spicey hops and and alcohol warmth, slightly sweet. Caramel comes out again in the aftertaste along with a slight metallic edge.

Very smooth, creamy, very easy to drink, would be an outstanding cold weather drink or excellent for after dinner. Not your usual beer, but very enjoyable.

whynot44, Apr 12, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a very dark Red/Brown hazy color with a thick creamy head

Smells heavily of bananas and Cedar, very pleasant.

Has a great fruity flavor with hints of bananas and apricot without being at all sweet and a nice spicy yet mellow and earthy hop finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full with a pleasant texture.

Very drinkable, as good as many of the real Belgians at half the price. Will enjoy many of these in years to come.

bashiba, Apr 02, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

What a beautiful beer. Pours blood-amber with a very uniform head. Body is cloudy, head resilient. The most impressive part of the presentation is the head...it simply didn't quit. Smell of peaches and hay; very distinct but nothing outstanding. Sweet alcoholic intro followed by mild hops finishes with slight citrus. This beer stays around for a while. Carbonation carries the olfactory characteristics nicely. This is a heavy beer, I am not a huge brown ale fan, but this is pretty darn good.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Apr 01, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm not sure if this is a beer, or a carbonated red wine.

Pours with the color of merlot, with a diminishing head. Smells fruity, decent lacing on the glass. Taste is like a dry red wine, I get tannins and some oak flavor out of it. Where is the sweet malt? Where are the hops? Mouthfeel is okay, though thin. I don't think I'll look for this again. Might pair well with grilled steak, but not a beer to drink on it's own.

deejaydan, Mar 23, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

This is by far the best representation of a Belgian beer I've had from this side of the pond. I knew from the moment I popped the cork that this one would be special. Speaking of the cork, that sumbitch required the use of a cork screw (something I've never had to do with a beer, it usually just pops right off with fairly little effort). There was a thick white fog sitting stale in the barrel full of a spicey, yeasty aroma. From the pour and presentation I could swear I was drinking a REAL Belgian. The beer pours to a dark burgandy color with a creamy tan colored foam that stays put at a quarter inch and laces beautifully. When poured, the same qualities I mentioned earlier becomes more ubiquitous also providing a hint of banana esters. The taste ranks up there with the finest Belgians I've had, seeming to have several of the same qualities of some of the trappist beers all rolled up into one. Has the yeasty/estery profile of a Chimay red, the appearance and crackling foam of a Westmalle dubbel, the mysterious tastes of Rochefort and Orval, etc. I will surely have to make this one of my staple beers whenever I return to the Omaha area.

neonbrown82, Mar 22, 2005

Pours a deep brown with amber showing through in direct light. Small beige head which faded quickly. Smells awesomely like some sort of sweet banana candy. Taste is more of the same--bananas and sweet malt. As sweet as every sip is, it's balanced well enough by the hops that it's never overwhelming. There is also a hint of the 8.5% alcohol--not horribly so, but could be masked a little. This is a nice beer to sip occasionally, but too sweet for me to turn into a session.

cubedbee, Mar 20, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dude this is an awesome bee-yah.
In all seriousness, my Ommegang poured a nice deep brown with orange tones, it had a frothy khaki head. Smells of that infamous belgian ale yeast strain, esters abound! This feels good in the mouth, carbonation is just right. Some dark fruit and a good deal of malts, and again that clean belgian ether taste is there for sure. Ommegang "Self Titled" is a great brew, one that could be enjoyed all seasons, and it can be drank all night or all day, versatile, it's that good.

16Mar05
Had a 12 ouncer poured into my Rochefort chalice last night with dinner, and it was super. I could drink these all day long.

HogHill, Mar 17, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -43.5%

Brown caged and corked bomber with 8.5% abv listed but no date. The bottle encouraged cellaring, which I did for at least a year and a half.
Aroma: A slightly scary soy sauce aroma and a hint of wet dog! Some alcohol is present as well. Some dark fruit showed up as it warmed.
Appearance: Dark brown with clarity shown only with a serious back light and as the glass starts to empty. Frothy tan head faded quickly to a thin collar without lace.
Flavor: Very vinous with dark fruit flavors and that soy sauce characteristic noted in the nose is pretty prominent. I noted simple sugars, some spices, a bit of horse blanket and even a touch of vinegar.
Mouthfeel: Medium light body, a bit thin actually, with a dry finish. Carbonation level is subdued.
Overall Impression: Wow, I’ve waited a long time to try this, and I’m under-whelmed. The wet dog smell (possibly a cardboard smell) is distracting and once I’m past that, I mostly get the off-soy sauce taste. I just do not like this brew and I get the feeling some of the flaws are due to aging (which the bottle TOLD me to do). It seems too much like red wine, and I don’t care for red wine typically. I’m not going to trash this beer in the numbers, but since I rate these for my own purposes (to let me know if I should buy this again) I need to give it low marks. I’m tempted to drain pour this, but I’m going to see how much I can drink. Pairing with some cheese and turkey helped some, but not a lot.
Like red wine? Give it a try. Don’t? Pass.

HardTarget, Mar 17, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearence: Pours a stunning dark amber with a fomay, creamy beige head that leaves wonderful lacing.

Smell: The smell is of super sweet caramel malts. My nose feels sticky after smelling this one.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is initially smooth and delightful, with nice carmael and fruits notes playing in and out of each other. But towards the end a rather disturbing yeast flavor kicks in and that's all you can taste. It kinda takes away from the fun of the beer. The mouthfeel is kinda thin.

Drinkability and Overall: This beer wasn't anything special in my opinion. Ommegang's beers never really do a whole lot for me. It's good and all, better than your average beer, but a little over-rated. Go for a Unibroue instead.

santoslhalper, Mar 16, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz capped bottle w/ no dates.

Burnt amber with a fluffy, light tan head of good size and staying power. Lots of foamy lace left in the tulip as the head never really dies but eventually falls to a cm or so in height. There's still some retention before the glass is finished. Very nice.

Smells of bananna bread, malt and dried fruits. There's some citric notes in there as well. Lots of balance here.

The malt and hops come through on the palate. There's some fruit and yeast in there too, and a nice dry finish that lingers.

The mouthfeel is a bit lighter than expected, but its not out of place. Very drinkable in light of the abv and price of $10 a four pack.

I'm quite impressed with this brew. A North American brewery that can brew belgians right is a beautiful thing. I'm looking forward to trying some of their other labels.

ypsifly, Mar 14, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a rich walnut brown with a cream colored head. Big aroma:
candy sugar, fruity esters, bannana, nutty, yeasty bread. Tastes of sweet malts, green apples, noticeable hop bitterness, with a vinous quality and medium alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is medium to thick with some carbonation. Damn drinkable!

gimmehead, Mar 13, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Had a glass from a friend's 25.4oz corked bottle. Poured with thick head, some of which lasted until I had drained the glass. The reddish brown hue coupled with the head made for a great looking beer.

I smelled banana esters and some faint spiciness as well as some fruity malt flavour.

The taste was a positive experience: there was little of the yeast kick I was worried about, but the beer's lush maltiness came to the fore. This combines the subtlety of a hefeweizen and the more fruity nature of a rather malty ale and somehow manages not too blow either one in favour of the other. Neither is my usual home turf, but this was one of the best Belgian style beers I have experienced.

I recommend this one, but it can only be considered a session beer for wealthy alcoholics!

I do remember Brewery Ommegang's Rare Vos and Hennepin which my wife's aunt brought back from a brewery visit a few years back. They are also recommended. Good stuff!

charlatan, Mar 10, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

I sampled a few glasses of this fine creation in brewing at the Blind Tiger's Ommegang night this past week. Large bottles, caged and corked with informational tag hanging from the bottle. This basically seems to be quite differant to the regular Ommegang mostly in the taste department. Caved aging has led to a slightly dryer, crisper, and a tad sourer product. I detected a slight tart note in the finish. Fine brew, added complexity from the cave aging. Got to give it up to Ommegang for taking the time and making the effort to improve their beers by trying something new/ancient and differant.

Billolick, Mar 06, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -5%

750ml corked bottle.

Appearance: Pours an opaque brownish-red color. Frothy head is respectable in size but diminishes somewhat quickly. Tight bubbles leave a sheeted lacing which doesn't stick too well, but rather slides down the glass as you drink.

Smell: Very complex aroma of dark fruits (dates, figs, plums, grapes, raisins..you name it). Brown sugar, molasses, and countless malt smells are evident as well. Alcoholic esters and resinous aromas throughout.

Taste: Taste is ridiculously complex as well. I tasted something different with every sip, until it was finished. Rich fruits, big-time molasses (brown sugar?), sweet malts of every variety, spices, cloves, must i go on? very complex taste does not hide the alcohol..you can definitely feel the warming effects on the palate. Should be better hidden, imho. I've tasted many higher in ABV that were downright deceiving. This one is not. Gets even more complex and enjoyable as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, extremely rich...alcohol is a little too prevalent, but not too distracting. Carbonation is well done. Dry finish.

Drinkability: Picked up a 750ml bottle for $4. That's definitely quite a steal for a beer of this caliber and abv. I'm not a big lover of Belgian strong ales, but they are nice to enjoy once in a while. This one is an excellent example of they style, no doubt. True to form in literally every way. A beer to be respected and enjoyed.

hero27, Mar 01, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a rich, opaque deep caramel topped by a huge, thick head. Beautiful streams of bubbles journeyed up the sides of the tulip glass. It was a photo-quality pour.

Out of the fridge, it smelled purely of spiced cider with a musty Belgian backbone. As it warmed, smells of caramelized sugar and cocoa began to reveal themselves. As it warmed even more, the glass began smelling like a dish of bananas foster.

Tasted wonderful. Immediate splash of spiced cider, followed by a solid, mouth-drying, bitter finish - another mouth puckerer. Sometimes it tasted a bit metallic. As it warmed, that went away and other flavors developed, like sour cherries and marshmallows. Yum.

Mouth was super tingly but not overly prickly, very smooth, medium to full bodied.

Great tasting, easy drinking... 'specially next to a filet (like I had it).

oxmasterscream, Feb 28, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.3%

From a 750 ml bottle, this pours into a fluted glass with a thick orange head stratified into several layers of pillowed foam. Color reflects an opaque red, not cloudy, but still somewhat mysterious. As the head degenerates to a sliver, reflections from below resemble light generated from an orange incandescent bulb.

Aroma contains a healthy dose of citrus, esters and earthy malt. This is supported by complex flavors, where earthy tones again appear in combination with light frutiness. A hit of alcohol follows these flavors, then quickly fades.

Mouthfeel starts sweet without cloying with a surprisingly dry finish, generating nicely balanced beer .

Wonderfully complex, the drinkability of this beer cannot be overstated. It's quite potent, but goes down rather easily. A 750ml bottle may seem a bit much for one person, but it disappears quickly.

longarm, Feb 22, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Bought this bottle at Wegman's.

Pours a dark, ruddy red with a nice thick head.

Smells of yeast and fruit esters. I can smell some citrus fruits and maybe some grapes? Slight alcohol presence.

Tight carbonation hits my tongue first, with a bitter flavor. More fruity type flavors then appear, with more of what I think is a fermented grape flavor. Alcohol is noticeable. Very sour and tart on the back of the tongue. Sour after taste lingers for a bit.

I would consider this very drinkable if you are looking for a unique tasting brew. The high alcohol prevents mass consumption, but who would want to chug this? This is meant to be sipped. A fine beer that comes at a very good price. I would take this over the Belgian imports I've had, and plus, I'm supporting a New York brewery. You can't lose.

Litterbean, Feb 21, 2005