Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a cloudy cherry-amber with a tight, tan head. Soft scents of fruit dominate, with a hinderence of alcohol.

There is a full-on dried fruit flavor, namely cherries. The after finish has a minor chocolate note. Which reminds me of eating a chocolate covered cherry in reverse, if you will. It also has wonderful caramel and honey layers that round out the maltiness of this nice ale. The yeast also adds another dimension of peppery spice in the finish. There is also a warm, wine quality to this, giving it even more character and distinction the more that you savour it. Mouthfeel is smooth and dry. Carbonation is appropriate for style, giving a lightness to a more well-rounded body.

Another great offering from the folks at Ommegang. A peppercorn encrusted beef tenderloin would sing along in tune with this one. The price for a 750ml is a true value in the beer world. Have one, or two, on hand.

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Cave-aged version.

Appearance is clear dark cinnamon. Beautiful tan colored head looks very luscious and inviting and sticks around most of the time. Smell is dark fruit (no I don't know which ones) along with granny apples covered in caramel. Mmmmm. Very sugary smelling. A tiny bit of medicine in the smell also. Wow, I almost just want to smell this all night and not take a sip. But take a sip I do! Wow! This is incredible. This seems to be much richer than the non aged Ommegang. Sweet brown sugar at the tip of the tongue morphs into candied fruit. About the same as the smell. There is a nutty aspect on the finish as well that went previously undetected. This is just ridiculously complex. Hardly any detectable alcohol at all, except that my typing is bad. Carbonation didn't hold up quite as well as I would have expected. It was very effervescent and light as first but died down too quickly. Drinkability is insane for the style. I can't get enough. This is incredible!

Edit: After pouring in some yeast in the last glass, a nice spicy crispness emerged which I felt made this beer even better. I only poured in a little bit of the yeast though.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Hell yeah. Pours a fantastic raw siena (or is it burnt umber? I always got my crayola crayons mixed up), with a fluffy tan head, reminsescent of the St. Bernardus Abt.12 pour. Aroma is sweet bready malt, with some dark fruit, walnuts, alcohol, and caramalized shitake mushrooms. This tastes out-frickin-standing, with notes of everything sinful under the sun: chocolate-covered cherries, fig, raisin, Barcelo Imperial rum, tobacco, cinnamon, and an anise and bitter orange peel finish (especially, strangely, as the beer warms). The mouthfeel is smoother than smooth, with very tight, champagne-like carbonation that I suspct is a hallmark of the cave aging. Drinkaibility for me is off the charts - this is one that actually might hold up to a fine cigar.
Does the cave-aging make a difference. One man's opinion is a resolute "yes."

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Soon as it hit the glass, I noted how murky this one is. It was nice reddish-orange, very cloudy.

The smell seemed dominated by brown sugar and hops (fuggles?).

There was an up-front alcohol quality in the flavour, with a bit of orange and pineapple topped by spice.

It seemed just a bit thin and lacking some body- with a pronounced fizziness at times.

Not bad, but not one I'd go out of my way to get.

Be well
-UF

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

06/18/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle caged and corked. Did not look for dating. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Amber-brown colored pour with a nice thick foamy head and nice lacing.

Smell- Cloves, dark fruits and a tad bit of licorice scent.

Taste- Copy the scent and it tells it all. Maybe the sweetness of the darker fruits carry this beer.

Mouthfeel- Very well carbonated. Fuller mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Very nice Belgian style brew. Would pick this up again for sure.

**Edit--

Caved aged version is just about identical. Didn't really see anything different that stuck out.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours delightfully from an 11.2oz bottle into my St. Bernardus chalice.

This brew is opaque and deep dark brown. A wonderful light brown head forms and rises to the top of the glass. A soothing sight. Aromas of chicory, cocoa, and dark well-ripened fruits tickle the nose.

A rich chocolately beer! The mouthfeel is nice -- medium carbonation with a creamy texture. There is a nice lasting finish of malt and cocoa -- with a hint of espresso.

This a very nice strong dark belgian. I am very impressed with the beers of Ommegang -- I still have Rare Vos and Three Philosophers to try, but my expectations are high.

I will certainly buy this again and keep some tucked away to cellar for a while.

Cheers.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Very dark, ruby red to black. Thick tan head. lots of carbonation. Head is made of thick bubbles. Great retention...like a thick layer of froth in cappucino.

Smell: like roasted malts. Sour and syrupy.

Taste: Very complex. Among the things I taste and can name are: Chocolate, grapefruit, cherries, toasted bread, grapes, toffee. Alcohol taste is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Carbonated. Alcoholic-warming.

Drinkability: Very tasty but not a bottle after bottle beer for me. Maybe it is too complex, but it is a beer to be enjoyed and savored, not pounded.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

I am the Contrarian, and seemed to be the only one to try this at Mondial Montreal 2005. The bottle did not stand out against the Fantomes, or maybe everyone thought they had the lineup. Their loss. Opaque reddish and smooth, medium mouthfeel. I like the yeast profile of this brewery, and this one was smelled significantly spicy.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

This is from the corked 750mL. Deep red tones combine with the tall head to give this glass a fantastic appearance. Head dropped to next to nothing within minutes, but this is not completely out of character for this style. My favorite part about the beer is the smell. Not as fruity as most Belgian styles, but rather consists of more flowery tones. I definitely dig it. A slight metallic finish is the only thing that interrupts the smooth malty taste. The alcohol is their but not dominant. The mouthfeel is creamy and finishes crisp. Overall, I like this beer a lot but the only part that really seperates it from other Belgian Abbeys is the different, complex aroma. That being said it, I am putting it up there with the most solid Dubbels I have tasted. Killer aroma!

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

My scores are coming out high here cuz this beer has really grown on me. There was a time when it was my least favorite of the Ommegang bunch and it may now be my favorite--especially the cave-aged version. This is the regular one and it is quite lovely and Potent !!!

Pours a tan cherry--small head, not much lace. Smell is lovely dark woods like cedar, cherry, and mahogany. Fruit essences too of currants, plums and/or grapes but not real pronounced.

Mouthfeel is awesome mild American version of making a Belgian and giving it a mild mouthfeel. Hard to do for a beer of this strength. They've done it in the drinkability category too. One of the best beers that is readily available. Pretty reasonably priced too. Excellent to match up with food.

Bottle: Poured a burgundy lightly hazy color ale with a huge light brown head with perfect retention. Aroma is malty with traces of spices (pepper with a touch of cinnamon?). Taste is very enjoyable with a mix between some nice floral malt and some sweet dry fruit (raisin). Body is full and alcohol is well hidden. Very enjoyable and probably the best I had from Ommegang.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Caged and corked, 750ml with a seriously scuffed up label and slightly blacked cork. The tag notes it was aged at 52 degrees from March – Sept 2004. On top of that the bottle actually smells like the inside of a cave.

This beer poured a thick tan head over a ruby/brown body.

The nose was a mix of phenols, chocolate, dates, sugar, ripe fruit and spice. A slight cork and cave smell is present, although very faint. This is one of those noses you could just sit and smell all day without taking a single sip. Beautiful.

The taste was slightly woody and corky. VERY dry and a tad bit tannic. A huge carbonation balances against the medium to full body. Dark chocolate, plums, dates, raisins, malt with a very dark chocolate like bitterness. There’s a subtle cardboard and non-spicy black pepper taste. A very hoppy, leafy, roughage sort of hop flavor. The one interesting note in this beer is the cave flavor. You can SERIOUSLY taste this granite, rock, dry cave flavor in all the sips. “On the rocks” takes on a whole new meaning. It ends with a long lingering dry rock taste.

I’m not sure if it’s just the cave aging or what, but I wouldn’t be able to tell this is Ommegang if you gave me a blind taste test. The aging makes this a completely different beer. The rock taste really overpowers the Belgian dark ale taste. I found this a tough beer to swallow, although to give it credit, it is one of the most interesting beers I’ve had in a long time.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

This is the first time I tried this beer. I did not know what expect. I guess I was slightly disappointed, or maybe my expectations were way too high. I was expecting more fruitiness and more aromatic smell. However, this was good and and complex. The alcohol really sneaks up on you.

The copper color was nice. There was a ton of carbonation. I kinda expected the high carbonation level as it was bottle conditioned. It reminded me of the Belgian Dubbel homebrew I made several times. However, my dubbel was fruitier. Good mouthfeel and lots of clinging lace on my glass. So I give good marks for looks and mouthfeel. OK taste for it's class of brew. A very nice and lingering aftertaste! Can't drink this one fast because you have to enjoy this lingering afterglow!

All in all a very nice beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poors in with nice lightbrown head and beautifull brown clouwdy beer. Nose is good and fresh also and has lots of fruity yeastesters and maltaromes. Gives you hints of vanilla, bananna, plumbs. Maltpart mainly done by light and caramelmalts though probably litle roast is used. Great and good balanced balgium styled beer that can hold up with the best. Bitterness and roast in aftertaste could be litle more IMO but this feels great in the mouth and poors away (too) easily.

3.08/5  rDev -26%

I did not like this beer for one reason; carbonation.

I had to let the beer sit for a while in my glass to let the fizz die down.

I can appreciate what the brewery was trying to accomplish and will try other styles made by Ommegang, but I will pass on this Belgian ale.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This batch was cave-aged at 52 degrees F from March 4, 2004 to September 30, 2004.

My first comment is the smoothness, compared to the normal Ommegang. I was given an Ommegang chalice to pour the beer into. As soon as I poured it, everyone at my table was very interested. The head was minimal with a tan/cream color. There were several interesting aromas. If I had to sum it up it would be a spicy/dried fruit with a hint of sweetness smell. But it was much more complex then that. I really couldn't put my finger on any one aroma. The nose, like the taste was smooth, mellow and blended.

The taste was amazing. Fruit and a well matched malt bill balanced the taste. The hops were noticeable but not overdone. The beer left a minimal lace on the glass as I drink.

All in all this beer is VERY good and I think I will drink it again...and again...and again…

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

750 ml bottle...drank it in celebration of the end of my spring semester

Appearance: Burgundy....gets darked from bottom to top. Nice two and half finger head that remained frothy throughout

Smell: Plums, rasperries, and sweet malts

Taste: Same as the smell...plums, rasperries and sweet malts....had a tart port-like aftertaste. Quite good but could have been more complex. DEFINITLY tastes better as it gets warmer

Mouhtfeel: Rich, bitch

Drinkability: For 8.5%....damn good

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I have been waiting for this for a while now, staring at the large 750 ml corked bottle as it begged to be consumed. I had the perfect opportunity tonight.

Appearance: When poured into my new tulip glass it had a large off white head (at least 2 inches). The beer is a murky brown, can not see through. Head eventually fell to a thin cover, with good lacing to the finish.

Smell: First pouring was predominately fruity; plums, prunes, raisins. Smelled a little sweet. Second pouring (as the bottle had set out and warmed some) was more malty, slightly bready.

Taste: Big (at least as compaired to what I have consumed recently) and very flavorful. Malty with no bitterness, a little yeasty at the finish ( tipped the entire contents from the bottle). Complex, and the alcohol is well hidden IMO. A touch of sweetness at the outset, but quickly reined in by the darker malts, with a little taste of chocolate and toffee.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a little chewy. Warmed my throat a little (the alcohol) but was so good going down. This just "felt right".

Drinkablity: A very easy drinking Belgian, worthy of the high praise. At five bucks and change for a 750 (I purchased mine at Kevin Meier Imports here in Lincoln) an absolute unbelievable value, you can't get many good wines at that price. This is one I will purchase again when the mood strikes me, although I will limit my consumption to one at a time.

wow! I can't believe i waited so long to try this one. Outstanding offering reminiscent of Westy8 in my opinion.
Poured a deep hazy brown with hints of ruby/copper. It boasted a 2inch off white head that was fairly creamy with a touch of fizz to it that dwindled slowly and left lacing throughout. Aroma was chocolate and fruity with hints of port and raisin. The tatse is a big malt punch layered with chocolate and raisin. very fruity but not overly sweet at all. the fruit tastes were so well blended I could not pick any particular one out. The mouthfeel was full bodied and left a slight warming from the alcohol which was well hidden. almost too hidden which made this one even easier to drink. excellent

Pours out a dark ruby/brownish color with a tannish head. Some lacing was left on the glass, but not really that much. Nose was wonderful. All you need to do is just take a whiff and you'll get a bunch of aromas. Dark fruit, lots of spices yet there's a candy-like sweetness that goes along with the spiciness. Everything mellows together in here. This is also one of the better beer's I've tasted yet. Apples, banana, and other fruit stand out the most, along with a sweetness to go along with it. It's not cloying at all. The cave aging really mellows out this beer and all the flavors come together so well. This is only my second all 5s for a beer, and this beer deserves it. Truly an experience. (And worth the money)

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

It pours a lightly hazed honey/caramel brown, lively and carbonated, and a stiff three fingers of white head expands rapidly and lingers long. Quaint lacing traces the inside of the glass all the way down.

The aroma is fruity melange, with apples, cherries, and dried fruit tones very present. A vague spice character wends its way through the sweeter parts, and a slight alcohol glimpse lays warning as well.

The first wave of flavor is just that, thrusting forward the fruity sweetness of apples and pears, cherries, and the slight tang of dried fruits. The spice continues to lay back, remaining indistinct but present, and the alcohol makes more of a play here, warming considerably. A gentle bite of banana and more dried fruit linger at the finish.

Medium bodied, it feels alive on the tongue, and coats the palate with everything that's going on.

This is one wonderfully fruity, busy beer. And that busyness is not a bad thing, as it makes it interesting and fun. The fruit and spice and tanginess combine to make this a very enjoyable warmer, but it is the ABV, obvious and pushy that limits just how much of it I would want in a sitting. But regardless, whatever amount I do decide to enjoy will be appreciated and anticipated once it's gone.

*Cave Aged Ommegang*

I first tried Ommegang back in August 2004 and it instantly became my favorite beer. It has obtained somewhat of a clut status among m friends and roommates. We all love it. Thanks to a visit by Ommegang to the Wine Gallery in Brookline, MA for a tasting session, this beer was available for purchase. Lucky me!

I am giving this beer all 5's because I find no flaws in it at all. This is also the first beer I am awarding all 5's to. Poured from a 750mL bottle. The color is beautiful. Dark ruby color with a tan/orange head. The amount of carbonation is just right. The aroma is top notch as well. Sweet, caramel malts with light citrusy hops. Apples and pears stand out above all. The taste is even fruitier than the aroma suggests. Tons of apples, pears, plums, raisins, and berries. It's balanced nicely though by the rich malts. The smooth mouthfeel lets you sip it with ease until the bottle is empty. I could drink this everyday and all day.

Compared to regular Ommegang that has not been cave-aged, this beer has a little more complexity in the aroma and taste. The fruity aspect of it really comes to life. It's just a notch above the regular version. Could this be the ULTIMATE BEER?!?! It's simply the best beer I've ever had so far. Second to none.

Oh my god, OMMEGANG!

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

I really enjoyed this beer. The bottle is labeled with lots of interesting information about the brewery, Belgium, Cooperstown, glassware selection... etc. check it out for yourself. It's a caged and corked beauty of a bottle that is both shapely and big (1 pint 9.4 oz). OK let's get to the beer itself.
Gorgeous! Caramel colored brew topped with a big fat red and tan head. I don't even notice the carbonation but somehow there seems to be a ring of fluff around the edge of the goblet.
The aroma is like a fermented fruitcake. There's plums, raisins, some cherries, maybe some apricots.
Taste - Very rich and fruity with a great body and superb balance. There is a wash of flavor that starts at the front of your mouth with some Maraschino cherry and dried fruit flavors. The finish is very banana with a dry plantain taste - so nice!
I have really come to like the Ommegang offerings. If you see this, grab it! Follow the recommendations on the bottle and enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a great american attempt at a very difficult style of brew. The beer was lookin very nice as it flowed into my glass with a huge off white head and great dark reddish brown color. The smell was filled with alchoholic plum scents and a burnt maltiness that was very inviting. The taste was definantly on the sweet side with the malts taking a doppelbock-like front row seat and letting you know that it is there. The flavor explodes in your mouth with a rush and then the aftertaste is very dry which is not something that I have experienced too often....it was very nice. Worth a try for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 750 ml into two goblets (spouse and I). Dark mahogany with beige head, some lacing. Smell early on was overpoweringly plastic. After about ten minutes it settled into a dark fruity alcohol smell. Taste is prunes, malt, pepper and alcohol. Finishes like an inexpensive tawny port. Mouthfeel is fruits and alcohol. Beer tastes bigger than it is. What an excellent digestif this would make. However, I had it with dinner, a hearty beef roast with a horseradish sauce and this beer more than holds it own with these flavors. The spouse is still raving about how good this beer is with this dish.

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang