Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

It impresses me that this is an American interrpretation of this style. This is magnificent! It poured into my Konings Hoeven goblet a dark reddish brown with a heathly amount of carbonation and a rocky light khaki head. Sticky lacing webbed the edges of my glass. Smell exhibited a malty sweetness with spices present, as well as a slightly noticeable alcohol character hiding deep inside. Taste was of raisins and sweet malts, turning a bit bitter with a woody / earthy note, then finishing with a lovely dry roasted malty sensation. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth and quite appropriate to the style. Even at 8.5%abv, I found this quite drinkable. Not exactly what I would consider sessionable, but I won't have any trouble finishing a 750mL by myself. A marvelous ale, indeed!
Blessed Be
-SS

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

The head looks very impressive upon the pour with thick rocky foam atop opaque brownish ale. Spices and dark malt dominate the nose with a backround of some kind of fruit. This is almost exactly what I have in mind when I think "Belgian", at least appearance wise.
Thick and sweet tasting in the mouth with a surprisingly clean finish. The taste is full of chocolate flavors, which help mostly mask the alcohol. This is a nice tasting beer, although not as complex as many Belgian style dark ales. Complimentary mouthfeel and nicely speckled lacing complete a pretty decent beer.
Another strong offering from the boys at Ommegang. Not as good as Heneppin but better than Rare Vos in my pecking order.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

From my first rating ever in Jan '05.
Delicious. Good size brownish red head that that lasts long and even tastes great. Once you get to the dark amber liquid though, it’s a real treat. Taste of cherries was most prominent for me, but not overpowering. I did note the chocolate and caramel too. A little too robust to drink a bunch at a time, you want to savor it like a fine wine.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

After fighting with the cork for a while- Pours a flakey bronze into a stemmed tulip glass. Small bubbles of carbonation make up the great tan head. Very aromatic musty oak and flowery with hints of caramel. Tastes of sweet caramel and fruit dance on the tongue while the slight alcohol burn is surprising for only being 8%. Higher in alcohol percent and mouthfeel, but still a very drinkable beer.

4.29/5  rDev +3.1%

i have a soft spot for ommegang so i hope this doesnt disappoint

A - dark brown with red aspects, thick long lasting tan head

S - has a definite dark sweetness in the aroma with the delicate hint of raisins

T - as the aroma suggested it is very sweet, it also has an intense vanilla aftertaste, very delightful

M - fizzy and smooth simultaneously, very good

D - high, an easy brew

another fine product from Ommegang, i like Hennepin better, but this is also good

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 ml corked bottle into a chalice
Ommegang's Abbey Ale is a fairly clear and beautiful burgandy with hints of ruby. Multiple beads of carbonation stream steadily to the finger high head that remains after the two fingers of head that rose up after the initial pour. The head is hearty and frothy, comprised or an endless sea of small bubbles

The nose is heavily colored by Malty scents peppered with sweet carmel and bready scents.
The taste is right on target for the what the nose would lead you to believe. Very complex yet the malt presence is felt with subtle notes of fruit.

this abbey ale is very active on in the mouth and has a dry finish.

Poured to celebrate my acceptance into an MFA program I was hoping to get into and a wonderful celebratory beer this is!

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

I have had my eye on this beer in particular for several months now. I finally ran across it again and couldn't help but get a couple bottles. This is a heavily carbonated beer so the cork goes flying when you pop it. The best thing about this beer is its aroma. I used a tulip glass, which supported a healthy head throughout the whole experience. The color was a nice brown with a tint of red. It was alittle cloudy due to the fact that this is a bottle conditioned beer. This beer has a great taste to it too. The malt is obviously the center of attention, but there is still a good hoppy flavor in it. Overall this is an amazing beer for ale lovers.

Deep burgundy with a shy head, some red hues appear into the beer.

Smell is very piney, spruce with some alcohol esters coming to tickle the nose. I also noticed a weird smell, smell of cheese, especially Oka.

Taste is piney, malty with a shy hoppy balanced note that comes with alcohol flavors and end with some cherry feels.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Dark brown with amber highlights and a rocky tan head that quickly changed into a creamy tan layer floating on top.

S - Dark fruits dominate, black cherries, dates, plums, raisins.

T - Dark fruits dominate as with the aroma. Yeasty bready flavor up front with a bit of spice on the finish. Some sweetness. Small hint of alcohol.

M - Full bodied and very well carbonated. Dry and crisp. I can definitely feel the carbonation in my stomach. Maybe a little too much.

D - Solid brew but a little too heavy on the carbonation for my liking.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a corked bottle from Woodman's in Madison (~$5) into a tulip glass. My first dark Belgian-style ale.

Dark brown, though mostly clear. Head is large and slow forming, a pretty beige color. Head maybe 2-2.5cm.

Just smells spectacular. Fruity and floral. It's got a bit of roastiness and caramelized sugar.

Dry dry dry. Dry start, dry finish. Other than that, it was what I expected. Caramelized sugar, some fruitiness. Much more roasted flavors than I had imagined. Finishes with that distinctive Belgian funk, but that's a good thing. Not as much spice as I was led to believe.

Well carbonated, but also very dry. The booze creeps up after you've had a few sips.

A special occasion beer if I've ever had. It is meanty to be enjoyed slowly and that's what I did. The booze and the flavor keep me from slamming it, so that's a good thing.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Nice corked 750ml poured a dark, some what murky mahogany thick liquid into my large 20oz chalice. A moderate pour gave a near two finger, light cocoa colored head that grows. The head lasts forever with a ton of nice lacing to follow. This stuff looks exotic, carbonation is mesmerizing.

Heavy aromatic malty, fruity nose with after notes of nuts and cocoa. As it warms a bit, the alcohol comes through and gives the fragrance of a nice brandy, smells potent.

Tasting this fine ale is even better, nutty, fruity, malty and delightful. It's sweet, a bit tangy, a bit bitter and warming. Hoards caramel and molassas tasting malts balanced perfectly with hops to make ale of Belgian distinction, a real treat!

Good full body, tons of flavor and plenty of alcohol give an exquisite mouthfeel that makes the tastebuds sing as you swallow. Makes you want more, but this one is a sipper, not a sessioner...no doubt !

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Gulden Draak Chalice. Beer presents itself as a dark burgundy color that is slightly cloudy. Thick, coffee-foam colored head with good retention and delicate lacing inside the glass. Nose is malty, spicy, and nutty. Sweet mollasses-like malts are predominant, with mulled cider-esqe spices. After the initial alcohol burn and malt sweetness, you can detect the nutty taste as well. This is a medium-heavy bodied dubbel with high carbonation and noticable alcohol content. A good example of the style from this American brewery. Sweet and very warm, not overly spiced or cloying though. Well crafted. I'm looking forward to trying this one after having been cellared a year or two.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

Rich, dark brownish red. Smells darkly sweet- cherries and figs, with sugar sweetness coming forth as it warms.

Quick spicy, sugary sweet bite in the forefront, mellowing down easy into dark stone fruit notes, plummy and tart. Malty throughout the middle, and into the finish. Leaves bready, yeasty sensations in it's passing.

A great brew, one that's becoming more prevalent in these handy-dandy 12oz. bottles.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I decided I needed to use one of my new pieces of glassware for its intended beer. I picked up a four-pack of 12 oz. Ommegang bottles at Downtown Wine and Spirits. I served this chilled, but consumed over a time frame that allowed sufficient warming.

Appearance: Pours a dark hazy brown with hints of maroon. A fluffy orange-brown head tops the beer, but recedes to a thin layer quickly. Head reemerges readily upon swirling.

Smell: Sweet malts and fruits. Notes of caramel and raisins, with tart cherry aromas arising upon agitation.

Taste: Sweet, bready malts dominate the front of the palate. Tart fruit and spices emerge in the center. Powdery yeast is evident in the finish with a light bitterness that provides a very nice balance. This is really delicious.

Mouthfeel: Tingly carbonation tickles the tip of the tongue. The beer is medium-bodied with a dry finish.

Drinkability: The delicious flavors keep me drinking, and the beer, though high alcohol, is easy to drink.

Overall: I absolutely love this beer. It's a nice balance of sweet, spicy and bitter.

One of my favorite "American Belgians". I've had this so many times over the past year. Dark brown color with a balanced flavor. It's usually sweet early in the sip, with a bitterish after-taste.

Even though it's my favorite American take on Belgian strong dark ale, it's not really much competition for Unibroue or the top-shelf Belgians like St. Bernardus. But for the price it can't be beat, it usually goes for $5 per 750mL bottle.

I recently toured the brewery, and they described that anise is used to flavor this beer. Now it's easier to pick out that flavor.

2.58/5  rDev -38%

750 ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Bottles in Belgium.

A - A nice look for a Belgian dark. Deep brown with a little reddish tint. A nice bubbly off white head sits atop and stays nicely.

S - Bit time yeastiness is the initial aroma. The yeast mixes nicely with some candy sugar and fruit smells. A hint of a peppery spice is present as well.

T - More than anything up front I taste the spiciness. After that the fruity flavor comes in a little bit. Other than that there's just a big metallic taste and some band aid/antiseptic flavor. I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle, but this taste does not impress me in the least.

M - Nice carbonation, however it's hard to get a good feel for this one because I really do not enjoy the taste.

D - honestly I;m finding this one undirnkable, a big disappointment after hearing so many good things.

Notes: Hoping this is a bad bottle. Will try/review again.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%

750ml bottle poured into the Duvel tulip... Very dark. Cola or root beer mixed with slightly used motor oil. small tan head that dissipates efficiently but never fully dissapearing. The entire time bubbles come from the bottom leaving a mound of frothy bubbling foam right in the center of the glass, it's a real treat. This alone cranks up the appearance score for me. Not much lasting lacing, but some exists for a few minutes after each sip.

Smell was elusive, I might have started a bit too cold and just after dinner. But possibly some clove, banana, roasted malts and hints of chocolate or nuts, the latter just barely. That may be the nose I'm getting now that's it's warmed slightly after an hour on the last glass... I'm also a bit stuffy tonight unfortunately.

Taste, hard hitting roasted malts (I think) and those nuts or whatever I smelled... I can see why it's dark. Just a few hints of spices and a bit of that banana too. While not overly carbonated, the mouth is fizzly and fun, slightly thick but not oily I don't think. I'm having a really hard time placing any of it. I wasn't too fond of it at first, but as it's gone down, I've grown to like it. Although the last glass was a full pour (supposed) yeast and all. And that seemed to balance it a bit more... Not as if I could see it. Can't even see through the glass even in front of a light bulb.

While it's not terrible, it's really not my style. It is plenty complex and seems to offer a lot and never is offensive, it's just not what I was expecting. I'm trying to be objective not subjective, but finding that difficult, or I just need more experience with the style.

I prefer the other Ommegang offerings, but as with the others, a good value at 5 bucks a 750ml if you're looking for something rich and different on a budget.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang glass. The beer poured a dark brown/amber color with a thick tan head with nice lacing. The aroma is a deep caramel and malt bomb that is really enjoyable. You gets hints of the high ABV but it is masked pretty well in this. The taste is more of the malt and caramel from the smell and with some good carbonation to balance it out. The beer gives you a good aftertaste and I find it fairly drinkable, even for 8.5%.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours carmely brown into the glass. Inch or so of foam and nice lacing down the inside of the glass. Sweet carmel and raisin aromas. Nice creamy mouthfeel. Taste is as I suspected. Raisin, licorice, and maybe a little nutty. Very very nice. I could get in trouble with this beer. Definitley recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

Figured id give the version brewed in belgium a go: Pours a brillant crimson amber hue with a thick, frothy tan head that retains well. The aroma has big dark fruits (plum, cherry, grape and fig), candied sugar, belgian yeast, spice (corriander, clove, pepper), and a slight alcohol presence. The flavor starts out with some dark fruits (cherry, grape, plum, strawberry), some spices (corriander, clove, pepper), dark candy sugar, slightly funky belgian yeast, minmal floral and herbal hops and a touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel is full and rich and the carbonation is on the light side but appropriate, and drinkability is good. An excellent dubbel (i dont care what BA says), complex and dare i say better (than the one brewed in cooperstown), also an incredible value.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a chalice. The color is a lovely, dark crimson, with a strong tawny head that is interuppted by that slight carbonation.

To the nose, the malts jump out, along with sweet fruit and a hint of the alcohol to come.

I love the taste in the mouth. Layers of sweetness and fruitiness. Dry spices abount but do not overcome the malts. This stuff is nice and mildly bubbly. It keeps the malts down and the alcohol tame. The finish is dry and clean. Very nice.

Musings: At 5.99 a bottle - it is virtually impossible to best this. Even then, I will drink this over Allagash and put alongside Unibroue. I am not a huge fan of the other Ommegang brews, but this is a winner.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a corked 750ml bottle into a wide mouthed chalice of sorts. A light and fluffy, almost light maroon colored head forms on top of an amber, ruby colored beer. Head dissipates at a slow pace and leaves generous lacing. Ends as a nice film on top.

Smell is sweet and syrupy and yeasty. Raisins and plums. Generally sweet and dried fruits.

Very unique taste. Slightly alcoholic. Prune juice. Lots of fruitiness involved as well. Brown sugar and sweet malt syrup. Lots of malts and not many hops. Hops are noticeable though and bring a nice mouthfeel to the party. Almost winelike in the taste and acohol perception.

Pleasant mouthfeel with a great carbonated feel and a smooth body. Body is medium heavy. Alcohol resides in the afterataste. Warming and pleasant on a cool Super Bowl Sunday in the south. Five more hours until kickoff!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

If poured like the bottle says you get a good inch or so thick head that lingers around for a minute or two and falls back on itself into a dense top layer. The beer is a redish brown. Smells of cherries and raisins with some flowery sweetness. Tastes like fresh cherries and raisins, crisp sweetness up front with lots of yeast and a yeast/bread/malt finish. Feels like you just got done chewing through some fresh bread. A very good beer to say the least. Lots of flavors that blend well. The beer could have a little bit less yeast but other than that, nothing bad at all about this brew. I could drink this all night as long as I watched myself. I'm feeling a buzz after downing this first bottle. Now I look forward to the white of the same brand that's sitting in the fridge!

2.24/5  rDev -46.2%

Served from a 750ml bottle into a stein (I know I should be using a goblet), it's a good looking beer, a nice rich brown, with a considerable (1"+) light brown, not quite tan head. Plenty of carbonation. The smell is nice, definite fruit prescence. Taste is where it all goes wrong. It's very yeasty and a bit nutty. If there was fruit in there, the yeast overwhelmed it. I couldn't even taste any malt or hops. Mouthfeel was smooth enough but I couldn't make detailed observations as the yeast taste was rather unpleasant. Maybe I got a bad bottle, or maybe this is the style of Belgian ales. I'm not familiar with Belgian style, so I couldn't say. I've got Chimay Red for the Super Bowl and hopefully it will be better than this, which I entirely disliked. Needless to say, I didn't finish the bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: slightly cloudy brown color with a two finger head. The head slowly fell to a thick surface foam that lasted through most of the drink.

Smell: malts, fruits, yeast, and a slight nuttiness.

Taste: caramels, brown sugar, hint of toasted nuts, ripe plums, yeast, and prunes all rounded with a nice spicy bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: brightly crisp at the start and finish, and the flavor lingers very briefly on the tongue after swallowing. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: extremely enjoyable and flavorful beer that should be on everyone's regular rotation of Belgian-style ales. Easy to drink more than one bottle in an evening.

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang