Ommegang (Abbey Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-18-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang (Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Orange/copper to brown color. Nice off-white head.
Light bodied carbonic mouthfeel. Effervescent, bubbly fizz is sharp on the tongue.
Fruity aromas. A mix of citrus and dark fruits. Combines orange, tangerines, plums, black cherries. Some biscuity, bready yeast aromas as well.
Nice complex fruity ale characteristics. Fruity, bready sweet malt tastes balanced by a slight bitterness.
Subtle but definitely present alcohol.
Very,very drinkable.
Very enjoyable brew.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Uncorked a chilled 1/5 bottle (750 ml), aroma in the bottle is molasses, cherry and raisons. Poured it into a goblet glass, nice tan head great lacing very deep copper color. Wafting the glass produces a sweet yet very tangy smell that dislays the high AC of this beverage. The carbonation is excellent. The taste is sweet yet sour, cherry accented by lemon. The mouthful is explosion of flavors and carbonation. The finish is sweet yet tangy. A delicious and very robust selection. A bottle of this and let the good times roll. I definitley will be restocking this brew.

This beer emerged out of a twelve ounce bottle with a dark brown colour and some crimson tint where the light struck the edges of the glass. A giganstrosity of a tan head volcanoed up half the glass requiring a wait in finishing the fill. The nose was layered with some bizarre perfumed flowery scent that struck me at the onset of sniffing. After this oddity was nosed, scents of heavily candied dark fruit and caramel followed on its heels. Plum and black cherry notes came to mind. The nose was surprisingly light on yeasty character, although some was present within the quite pronounced and rather complex mix of sugary fruitiness. The taste held a sweet aspect at the front end that later tailed into some dark fruit skin like dryness from the hopping. It is always interesting to taste beers like these. So much to consider and revel in. The tones remind me of light caramel and old super ripe plum. A lingering rind quality in the finish keeps the dark fruit flavour alive as the tongue is dried out. This tastes of richness and maturity. In terms of the fruitiness that is. Mouthfeel is a light medium. Speedy and small are the bubbles that contribute to this lightness. The drinkability is good. Plenty of pondering can be had through the course of one glass, though not enough. The earth may not shatter, but there are certainly good tastes and food for thought here.

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Colour is dark reddish brown or plum. Has a nice one-inch head that retains itself well. Aromas of rasins, bananas, and Belgian yeasts are present. Sweet, and mildly alcoholic. The first taste begins fruity and becomes sweet after a few seconds. The sweet malt flavors then seem to evaporate into a dry and spicy alcoholic finish. The first few sips were excellent but over time the spicy/alcoholic character begins to overpower the complex malt flavors making it harder to distinguish. The mouthfeel is nice, with medium thickness and robust carbonation. I like the beer but the drinkablity seems to decrease for me as I go along...

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Supper dark red/brown color with a tan head. Smell is dark fruit, plum, cherries, dates. Also a slight musty yeasty smell. Taste is full of fruity flavor and heavy dark malt. Moutfeel may be the best part of this beer. Very creamy full mouth with a nice carbonation level. Active on the tongue. The best American belgian style beer I've had. This is one I will return to over and over.

3.91/5  rDev -6%

Pours a deep ruby color with a big, thick, sticky, brown head.

Smell of dark fruit, somewhat musty.

Taste is dark fruit (including prunes and olives), with a dry yeast kick and alcohol. Very juicy. Even, thorough carbonation.

This is an interesting beer. I'm still getting acquainted to Belgian style beers so I don't think I'm able to fully appreciate this yet. Now I want to find out what an authentic Belgian version tastes like.

3.57/5  rDev -14.2%

A - A deep auburn to scarlet (very dark in my goblet) with a two finger head and sporadic lacing.

S - Floral hops (lillies) some figs and dates as well as a bit of gumball. Some faint bananas as well. Alcohol is apparent at higher temperatures.

T - Alcohol is extremely evident. Sweet with some dates, cola, bananas and a bit of gumball. This would score higher if the abv was somewhat masked.

M - Carbonation is a little high, smooth and thick. A bit cloying though.

D - Pretty good considering the mouthfeel. This is a pleasant drink although I'd call it a dessert beer for sure. I really enjoyed it even though it tastes strongly of alcohol and has a bit of an odd mouthfeel.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured a rich deep crimson ale with an off white rocky, head that left ample lace and stayed around for a long time. The aroma is rich with dark caramel maltyness and hints of dark fruit like figs. The flavor is excellent and has become my personal favorite abbey dubbel as it begins with an effervescent rush of sweet malt and perfectly balanced dark fruit which slowly fades leaving a dry and clean finish which becons the drinker to partake of another sip. The body is perfect for an abbey dubbel and it is both full of carbonation and has a nice weight when held on the tongue yet has a very clean finish. This ale is very drinkable and i will probably buy a few bottles to lay down and see what an aged example tastes like.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

750ml bottle. Pours a deep brown with flashes of ruby. Frothy, tan head settles to a thin blanket atop the beer. Leaves nice lacing.

Aroma of fruit, especially cherries. Slightly metalic odor. Beer gets spicier as it warms a bit, with a certain cloviness making itself evident.

Tastes, again, of cherries and fruit. Moderate carbonation makes the beer play lightly on the tongue. Notes of roasted malt -- coffee and chocolate -- come through. Cloves and spice. Finishes dry with a slight hop bitterness.

Finished the 750ml bottle without much trouble. Very drinkable for an 8% beer. A fine American Belgian Style Ale, and a bargain at $5 a bottle!

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Dark amber color, some orange hints. Half inch tan head that stayed around.

Distinct Belgian ale aroma, yeast, alcohol. Sort of medicinal.

Full bodied, yeasty taste. initially, taste improved as beer warmed, but then declined again as it got warmer.

High ABV warmed the palate. Bit of a thick mouthfeel. Didn't linger afterward, which was good.

Not a bad ale. Great bargain compared to Chimay. I don't think I could drink a lot of these in a row, however.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

The question I'm asking myself right now is: "Is there a better value for money, readily available beer of equal (or near) quality in the US today?" - My uninformed guess would be: "Probably not, but if so, let me know about it." I might even be tempted to risk part of my beer allowance on whatever that suggestion might be, but rest assured, a large chunk of my beer money would be invested in solid tried and trusted products like this one.

The physical characteristics of this beer are well documented in other reviews, so I will merely record that this is a great beer and while I can't rule out the possibility that there will be those who don't like it, I think that for the vast majority this will prove to be a repeat purchase item. Quality, Value, Convenience (what?). It's quite strong too....

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

750 ml corked and caged bottle purchased in mid 2005 and stored for about 6 months; paid $5.99 at an unrecorded location in southern California.

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights, translucent. Head is very nice tan at the beginning, bit drops to nonexistance very quickly.

Strong nose of black cherries, dark chocolate, and sweet dates. Other dark fruits (plums) also come and go.

Flavor is full of dark fruits, slightly sweet, and with a bit of an astringent tartness at the end. My main thought, though, is black cherry. Alcohol was very strong when first poured (colder), it hides itself better once it warms up a bit.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly a little watery, not bad, but just moreso than I expected. Drinkability is limited by alcohol presence. A nice sipper, though.

Overall this is a decent beer that I am enjoying, but isn't a classic that makes me want to come back for more.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured out of the 750ml caged and corked bottle into an Orval chalice, gorgeous brew... pours a bloodshot brown with creamy lingering lacework after the luxurious head, so appetizing. Nose is fruity and sweet, sugar isn't hidden at all, also notes of cherries, bananas, and a bit of alcohol. Taste is dominated by fruit with red wine-like grape notes followed by yeasty twang and a bit of alcohol...unfortunately the mouthfeel here isn't quite right which I think detracts from the complexity of the taste. A bit too light and watery keeps the taste from lingering long after the swallow, the only real flaw with this brew. A very nice and affordable Belgian, like others have said i'll try and get my mitts on some domestically brewed versions and see if the texture problem is worked out.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ommegang is one of those beers that I can easily find locally and thank god it is, wonderful stuff. Pours a dark brown/orange color, with a head that lasts for quite a while. Tastes very nice, spices, dried fruit (apricot?) caramel, a bit of alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is very nice and finishes off easy. Definetly a fan favorite.

2.2/5  rDev -47.1%

Popped the cork on this 750 ml bottle, and glugged it into an Orval Chalice. Looks ok. Auburn, leaning to plum in color, gentle lacing at the edges. Head did fade away quicker than I expected, and left only minor islanding.

Aroma is yeasty caramel, spiced candied fruit, toffee, and detecting a slight amount of pepper.

Taste is sweet, and too much lingering sweetness on the pallet for my liking. Dry intake, which is nice, but wishing there was more hops, or pepper to balance the finish. I couln't see drinking more than One of these.

*Update* (15 minutes later) man, this beer just gets worse as I drink it, and it warms. Sickly, sticky sweet... not sure if I'll finish this one, and I never throw beer out (unless it's spoiled). Also no sign of head now, and zero lacing, just looks like a flat brown unappealing liquid.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Serving type: 750ml Bottle w/ cork and cage

Appearance: Bubbly white head above a reddish-brown cloudy liquid. An intricate lace develops on the glass as you move through the beer.

Smell: Very clean fruit smells come through--orange, lemon, raisin, date, fig

Taste: Lots of lemon, raisins and grapefruit. This is not overwhelmingly sweet, as I expected it would be. The alcohol is noticeable but not strong. A bit of grassy hop is present.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing with low carbonation and a clean, refreshing aftertaste.

Drinkability: This one is quite drinkable! The sweetness was very subdued and made this a refreshing ale.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

This is the brewed in Belgium version. Still one of my all time favorites. This comes very very close to being like the version brewed in Cooperstown with subtle differences. The yeast is definitely different, changing the taste and mouthfeel ever so slightly... perhaps even improving upon it? Can't say for certain; really a matter of preference. Cellaring this guy just might do wonders... assuming you can wait that long.
On a side note, maybe it's time for Ommegang to start bottling some Wild Ale!

2.56/5  rDev -38.5%

This wasn't a bad brew . . . but it wasn't good either. I really liked Hennepin from this brewery, and I enjoyed several other Belgian Strong Dark Ales, so I thought this guy might be a winner, but it wasn't. The caramel notes were just overpowering in this brew. It was really just cloyingly sweet, and not like a bock, but sweet like candy. Really, just, too sweet.
I don't know what it is, but when I naively say, "I don't like Belgian beers", I mean, I don't like this particular caramel flavour. It just dominates some belgian style beers and when it is there, I am just not going to enjoy the brew. It's not in all dark ales, so I'm not sure what it is. Candi sugar maybe? That'd be my guess. Nasty stuff that.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

750 mL, corked and caged. Not just a "Belgian-style" abbey ale, as this batch was "Brewed and bottled exceptionally in Belgium" for Ommegang by their buddies at Duvel Moortgat. Pours a clear, deep reddish brown with a fluffy light tan head, quite imposing. The nose is sweet, boozy berries and dried fruits smothered in vanilla with undercurrents of anise. The taste is dry, vinous, and fruity -- prunes, raisins, mashed banana. There's a bit of cloying sweetness at the finish with a dry and somewhat sour aftertaste, sort of like an overripe orange. Creamy mouthfeel, but a bit on the thin side, surprisingly. Also quite a lot of peppery carbonation in the mouth. Highly drinkable as the 8.5 % abv is hardly noticeable. This is a little thinner, and also a bit less complex than I remember the domestically produced stuff I had several times over the last year. That one would have rated all 5's possibly. This Belgian take on an American interpretation of a Belgian style (?...) is still world class, but the Cooperstown-brewed ale (still available in 12oz. bottles) is downright sublime.

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Brown and murky with a thin head, lots of visible carbonation.

Smell: Fruity with a touch of malt.

Taste: Very carbonated with the predominant sensation of malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Thin but chewy.

Drinkability: This beer is highly acclaimed, and yet I was not very impressed by it. Perhaps it was a bad bottle, but it just seemed too sweet and carbonated to rate very high. It is drinkable and reasonably priced, but I personally much prefer true Belgian brews like Corsendonk and Chimay.

Dam! This is just a fantastic beer. This is the first perfect beer I have drank. This is as good or better than any Belgian Ale I have tried.

Uncorked the beer at 50 degrees F and poured into a wide mouth goblet. Sweet floral smells danced into my nose. OhYeah!

Appearance: This beer pours a murky ruby brownish coloration. The head was ruby tinged and towered above the beer. The head settled down into a luxurious foam on the surface of the beer. Lacing plays down the side of the glass. Just perfect.

Smell: The beer has a spicy candy sweet introduction. As the intial greeting is at an end fruity sweetness stretches the smell further. The beer has a funky musty smell that is very pleasing.

Taste: The taste lives up to the smell. The intial taste is a yeasty sweet fruity experience. The taste ends with almost bone dryness.

Mouthfeel: This is a full bodied well carbonated treat. The beer is definately a smooth chewy mouthfull.

Drinkability: This beer is just absolutely incredible. I was wishing the bottle would never end.

Just to restate this was an incredible beer drinking experience. This beer is as good or better than all the Belgians I have drank. I am amazed that it is an American Micro Brew. I am sure you could Pepsi challenge knowledgeable beer drinkers and they could not pick the American brew verses the Belgian beer. Dam this beer is good!

1/29/06 Today I had the good fortune to drink a Ommegang Abbey ale that was cave aged from March 4, 2004 through September 30th 2004. The beer was everything I said it was above; however, I think the beer is even smoother at this time. I dont know if cave aging is just a gimmick but I liked it.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Hmmm....this one is an interesting ale. Not expecting anything at all, I pour from the 750ml bottle and a absolutely gorgeous, deep, red translucent color appears with a remarkable thick, chunky, beige head appears. So far so good, I was very impressed. Then the sweet fruity aroma filled the air and I caught hints of apples and plums, very, very nice. So, naturally at this point I was expecting an outstanding flavor. However, I found a flavor that didn't instantly blow me away. It was nice, good fruitiness, nice hops and malts and a noticable alcohol hit on the back end. Still, overall, it is a good Belgian that I would recommend, but probably would buy others first.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a beautiful cherry-brown hue with a significant cap of creamy, active foam.. gorgeous.

Big malty odor... rich, almost sweet in the nose. At the same time, it is citrusy and zesty.... interesting.

Big flavours.... cherry, leather, a hint of vanilla, and some soft citrus notes. Very malty... but not overwhelmingly so.

A bit overcarbonated for my taste.... but the thickness is perfect for this style.

Very nice example of the style, and at an extremely reasonable price.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

This is one of my top 3 Belgian Strong Darks. Plums and roasty malts dominate the beer. Exceptional smell and head which remains the whole way down the glass. Tough to put this one down before it puts you down!! The Belgian Candi is present with yeasty glows. Awesome beer and awesome price. I wish I could find this in a six pack. If you want to get started with Belgians, this is the one to try.

3.54/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance: Nice head on this beer that retained it's lacing quite well. Poured out into a nice cloudy chestnut brown.

Smell: Fruity citrus smell going on here. It was hard to coax any smell out of it at first but as it warmed up it took on a maple syrup characteristic.

Taste: This one will bite you a bit. A little on the rubbing alcohol side with hints of citrus, spice and pine. It is one of the more unique tasting beers I have had but nothing that I enjoyed too much. I was hoping for something with a little more balanced to it as the alcohol was a bit overwhelming. This brew does have a rather pleasant orange pulp aftertaste to it.

Mouthfeel: About the consistency that you expect from a Belgium strong ale. Creamy and smooth would best describe it.

Drinkability: Not so much. It was hard to get the bottle down but I could see myself enjoying a split bottle with someone.

Notes: I will try this again in the future to just get a handle on the style.

Ommegang (Abbey Ale) from Brewery Ommegang