Ommegang Witte - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang WitteOmmegang Witte

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Witte is our version of the classic Belgian wit or "white" ale. Witte, which is actually Flemish for white, is brewed with malted and unmalted wheat, orange peel, and coriander - offering a refreshing style that showcases the Belgian talent for brewing full-flavored ales that are also light and balanced. It is pale straw in color, slightly hazy from the yeast, and topped with a huge white, fluffy head.

Witte is pleasantly light on the tongue, balanced between malt and wheat sweetness. Hops and spice with a subtle clove note backed by flavors of lemon and sweet orange give way to a dry, crisp, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-01-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang Witte Alström Bros
jmbraxton

Alabama

04-03-2012 00:30:18 | More by jmbraxton
GTB

03-04-2012 05:58:00 | More by GTB
Philousa

2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Pale gold in color and completely opaque. It's like a neon yellow in the light; kinda weird. Pours with frothy white head that dissipates quickly to form a thin barrier on top. The bubbles seem like they want to stick to the glass, but the low viscosity of the beer pulls it down into the drink. I get pale malt up front with lemon and spiciness following in scent. I was expecting a bit more of a kick in a wit. I get a lot of pale malt on the tongue with nearly none of the wheat described on the glass. The citrus is undeniable, and a bit annoying after a while. I get mostly lemon, despite the claims of orange peel on the label. It stays on the front of the tongue, but some of the malt lingers with it in an attempt at balance. The light fruit flavor has some spiciness towards the end, but it's a bit muddled in the tang. The beer is easily drinkable and not very heavy which is nice, but not normal for the style.

Speaking towards my personal preference, I'm torn. On the one hand, I like that it isn't a normal wit in the sense that it is light. On the other hand, it's overly tangy. In the end, evil outweighs good and the tagniness is too overbearing. Get back to the chalkboard, Ommegang. I expect more of a Belgian owned company.

09-24-2011 01:39:36 | More by Philousa
cbros

2.15/5  rDev -43%

Serving type- 750 ml bottle

Apperance- poured a pale straw yellow with a thin white lace, it looked to be flat as there was no bubble activity after the pour.

Smell- there were hints of fruit but really not anything prevalent

Taste- tasted flat with a very bitter aftertaste. If I closed my eyes I thought that I was drinking water.

Drinkability- I think or rather hope that I purchased a bad batch because this was not a good beer experience. It was flat and skunky which makes me believe that this bottle had turned. I bought it at local cigar/beer store that had a very unorganized selection. I saw no born on or freshness date. I am going to have to give this another try and hope that I merely got a bad sample and not its true nature.

06-14-2008 01:45:00 | More by cbros

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

12-04-2012 04:23:59 | More by chippo33
weizendoc

2.45/5  rDev -35%

Had a big 25 oz bottle (like the one pictured) given to me by a weizen-enthusiast friend. I crack into the bottle through the caged champagne-cork style deployment. Poured into a Erdinger weisglas. Interesting nose-lots of grassy, woodsy kind of scents, big voluminous head.
I catch a cheap whiskey-like bite on the sides of my tongue with this one. Mid palate is all grass and rubber. Mouthfeel is average for the style-plenty of watery carbonation. There is no fruit detectable in this one. Dropping an orange wedge in slightly improves the refreshment factor.
I had 4 good pulls then poured the rest down the drain. Snapped into a Hacker-Pschorr instead. Domestically speaking, Blue Moon beats this Wit hands-down. Hoegaarden's (true style) Wit remains my gold standard in Belgian Whites.

04-25-2006 03:46:24 | More by weizendoc

tommyguz

05-09-2013 01:55:56 | More by tommyguz
OWSLEY069

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a white head. In the aroma, wheat note and, well, it smells like hot dog water. In the taste, wheaty notes, a lemon zest, and hot dog water. A smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lemon citrus in the aftertaste. Nice lemon zest, but the whole thing is like hot dog water.

08-07-2010 14:54:41 | More by OWSLEY069
styrene

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Purchased for $4.99 at the local liquor store. I was really looking forward to trying this one...

Appearance: Pours a pale, translucent orange. There's a light head and carbonation visible through my glass mug. Not at all cloudy, as I would have expected.

Smell: Yeasty like a lot of belgian-style beers, but I don't sense any of the "traditional spices" mentioned on the bottle label. So far this beer is not at all reminiscent of a witbier.

Taste: Extremely light and, incredibly, maybe a little hoppy. This tastes nothing like any witbier I've ever had before. The sharpness in the finish is more like a saison, albeit a weak one. I'm really surprised at how thin and light this is. Witbiers are supposed to be crisp and refreshing, but this is considerably worse (i.e. simple and boring) than even Blue Moon.

Mouthfeel: Vacuous is the first word that comes to mind. This beer is weak. The aftertaste is bizarre and leaves me wishing to avoid the next sip.

Drinkability: Strangely bitter and thin, this beer is not satisfying.

Ommegang Witte will do in a pinch if the only other options are macros. I kinda hope I got a bad bottle, but I suspect not.

03-15-2006 06:49:37 | More by styrene
cdizinno

South Carolina

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Presentation: 12 oz. capped bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Sandy yellow with almost no head retention.

Smell: Very weak with a slight hint of spiciness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Crisp with a thick dryness that does not want to leave the palate. Light tartness but generally devoid of taste.

Drinkablity & Notes: A decent brew though not comparable to the many witbiers that outshine this one.

02-03-2009 23:12:26 | More by cdizinno
Minkybut

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured this large beer from the bottle to a tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was hazy from the bottom sediment that the brewer sates not to get in your glass. I thought that was wierd. The beer had a pretty head at first but it soon faded. The taste and smell was slightly sour which I'm sorry but I just do not like any sour in my beer. Slightly fruity also which I aint keen on. I will not buy again.

02-24-2007 19:03:47 | More by Minkybut
aforbes10

Iowa

2.6/5  rDev -31%

very light yellow. white head. plain sour malt odor. not much flavor, very light slightly sour smooth malt. a little biscuity. ok mouthfeel. very thin. not all that great overall....its too....wispy....or something. it kind of seems like Ommegang was too scared to give this beer a good solid flavor so they watered it down and thinned it out. not my favorite witte by a long shot.

09-13-2006 20:01:16 | More by aforbes10
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottle: Poured a pale clear yellow color ale with below average head with average retention. Aroma of orange and very subtle coriander. Taste is very light with limited spice (lack of coriander) with some limited sweetness/floral aspect. Carbonation is good but body is too thin. Watery feeling on the aftertaste kind of ruin this one for me.

05-02-2005 19:12:01 | More by Phyl21ca
LeRose

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Dragging the curve down again here... My wife is a fan of this style, I have made home brew witte, and have learned to appreciate the lightness and easy drinkability of this style. But...

Wanted to like this, but we were not happy with it at all. Seemed to lack anything to do with what we have come to expect from a witte (compared to Allagash White, for instance). Weak and watery brew that we might try again to see if it was just the bottle, but I have seen some other low scores for this product. Maybe consistency is an issue? What I tasted doesn't match with the other reviews on this site, for sure. Agree on the pour, lightly hazy, frothy head. We didn't get the citrus, fruity ester, yeasty flavors we like from this style at all. Very thin, watery mouth feel.

Reviewed from notes.

11-26-2012 20:15:49 | More by LeRose
Brunite

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Serving: Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy, pale, light straw. Aggressive pour yielded 2 finger, white head that quickly disappeared leaving no lace.

Smell: What you would expect here. Some citrus/orange notes and some coriander. Not much else.

Taste: Disappoints given the aroma that we started with. Almost no orange taste. Mostly tart lemon and very slight spice. A lasting lemony taste is felt in the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Quite a bit of carbonation. Watery.

Drinkability: This started out at its best and quickly paled away to less than average.

Overall: Rather disappointing. I was expecting more from this brewer. Pales compared to an Allagash White. Glad I got this one as a single. Would skip this in the future.

01-24-2011 20:38:22 | More by Brunite
Eriktheipaman

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

I am pretty surprised with the high rating but to each their own.

Pours a very clear pale straw with so-so head which was off putting.

The smell just kind of smells like....beer. Bready malt and that's about it.

The taste has more going on than the smell for sure. A little citrus with slightly dry herb on the back but all together a little one dimensional.

It is a very easy drinking beer and by no means bad, just seems like a poor example of the style to me.

11-19-2011 00:54:03 | More by Eriktheipaman
RickS95

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours an almost clear, piss yellow. No apparent haze, but not exactly see through. Head is limited with little retention.

Has a yeasty, earthy smell to it. The orange peel and coriander notes are very muted.

Taste is similar to smell and appearance in that it's slightly lacking. All ingredients seem too muted to make a difference...only slightly different than a nasty macro lager with some spices.

Tart, and despite the lack of head, very carbonated...really has a bit to it. Kind of a peppery feel. Slight sweetness early on followed by a spicy, tart bite.

I'm not impressed. Tastes like a homebrewer's first try with the type. Nothing in the way of a redeeming quality.

04-09-2012 02:19:51 | More by RickS95