Ommegang Witte - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang WitteOmmegang Witte

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Witte is our version of the classic Belgian wit or "white" ale. Witte, which is actually Flemish for white, is brewed with malted and unmalted wheat, orange peel, and coriander - offering a refreshing style that showcases the Belgian talent for brewing full-flavored ales that are also light and balanced. It is pale straw in color, slightly hazy from the yeast, and topped with a huge white, fluffy head.

Witte is pleasantly light on the tongue, balanced between malt and wheat sweetness. Hops and spice with a subtle clove note backed by flavors of lemon and sweet orange give way to a dry, crisp, refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-01-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang Witte Alström Bros

jmbraxton, Apr 03, 2012

GTB, Mar 04, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -44.7%

Pale gold in color and completely opaque. It's like a neon yellow in the light; kinda weird. Pours with frothy white head that dissipates quickly to form a thin barrier on top. The bubbles seem like they want to stick to the glass, but the low viscosity of the beer pulls it down into the drink. I get pale malt up front with lemon and spiciness following in scent. I was expecting a bit more of a kick in a wit. I get a lot of pale malt on the tongue with nearly none of the wheat described on the glass. The citrus is undeniable, and a bit annoying after a while. I get mostly lemon, despite the claims of orange peel on the label. It stays on the front of the tongue, but some of the malt lingers with it in an attempt at balance. The light fruit flavor has some spiciness towards the end, but it's a bit muddled in the tang. The beer is easily drinkable and not very heavy which is nice, but not normal for the style.

Speaking towards my personal preference, I'm torn. On the one hand, I like that it isn't a normal wit in the sense that it is light. On the other hand, it's overly tangy. In the end, evil outweighs good and the tagniness is too overbearing. Get back to the chalkboard, Ommegang. I expect more of a Belgian owned company.

Philousa, Sep 24, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Serving type- 750 ml bottle

Apperance- poured a pale straw yellow with a thin white lace, it looked to be flat as there was no bubble activity after the pour.

Smell- there were hints of fruit but really not anything prevalent

Taste- tasted flat with a very bitter aftertaste. If I closed my eyes I thought that I was drinking water.

Drinkability- I think or rather hope that I purchased a bad batch because this was not a good beer experience. It was flat and skunky which makes me believe that this bottle had turned. I bought it at local cigar/beer store that had a very unorganized selection. I saw no born on or freshness date. I am going to have to give this another try and hope that I merely got a bad sample and not its true nature.

cbros, Jun 14, 2008

abrodsky, Apr 15, 2012

chippo33, Dec 04, 2012

noahsiegel123, Aug 12, 2014

Quonmisc, Aug 03, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -34.8%

Had a big 25 oz bottle (like the one pictured) given to me by a weizen-enthusiast friend. I crack into the bottle through the caged champagne-cork style deployment. Poured into a Erdinger weisglas. Interesting nose-lots of grassy, woodsy kind of scents, big voluminous head.
I catch a cheap whiskey-like bite on the sides of my tongue with this one. Mid palate is all grass and rubber. Mouthfeel is average for the style-plenty of watery carbonation. There is no fruit detectable in this one. Dropping an orange wedge in slightly improves the refreshment factor.
I had 4 good pulls then poured the rest down the drain. Snapped into a Hacker-Pschorr instead. Domestically speaking, Blue Moon beats this Wit hands-down. Hoegaarden's (true style) Wit remains my gold standard in Belgian Whites.

weizendoc, Apr 25, 2006

lccrunchy, Dec 27, 2013

athegreatest83, Oct 20, 2013

tommyguz, May 09, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a white head. In the aroma, wheat note and, well, it smells like hot dog water. In the taste, wheaty notes, a lemon zest, and hot dog water. A smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lemon citrus in the aftertaste. Nice lemon zest, but the whole thing is like hot dog water.

OWSLEY069, Aug 07, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -32.7%

Purchased for $4.99 at the local liquor store. I was really looking forward to trying this one...

Appearance: Pours a pale, translucent orange. There's a light head and carbonation visible through my glass mug. Not at all cloudy, as I would have expected.

Smell: Yeasty like a lot of belgian-style beers, but I don't sense any of the "traditional spices" mentioned on the bottle label. So far this beer is not at all reminiscent of a witbier.

Taste: Extremely light and, incredibly, maybe a little hoppy. This tastes nothing like any witbier I've ever had before. The sharpness in the finish is more like a saison, albeit a weak one. I'm really surprised at how thin and light this is. Witbiers are supposed to be crisp and refreshing, but this is considerably worse (i.e. simple and boring) than even Blue Moon.

Mouthfeel: Vacuous is the first word that comes to mind. This beer is weak. The aftertaste is bizarre and leaves me wishing to avoid the next sip.

Drinkability: Strangely bitter and thin, this beer is not satisfying.

Ommegang Witte will do in a pinch if the only other options are macros. I kinda hope I got a bad bottle, but I suspect not.

styrene, Mar 15, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -32.2%

Presentation: 12 oz. capped bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Sandy yellow with almost no head retention.

Smell: Very weak with a slight hint of spiciness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Crisp with a thick dryness that does not want to leave the palate. Light tartness but generally devoid of taste.

Drinkablity & Notes: A decent brew though not comparable to the many witbiers that outshine this one.

cdizinno, Feb 03, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured this large beer from the bottle to a tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was hazy from the bottom sediment that the brewer sates not to get in your glass. I thought that was wierd. The beer had a pretty head at first but it soon faded. The taste and smell was slightly sour which I'm sorry but I just do not like any sour in my beer. Slightly fruity also which I aint keen on. I will not buy again.

Minkybut, Feb 24, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

very light yellow. white head. plain sour malt odor. not much flavor, very light slightly sour smooth malt. a little biscuity. ok mouthfeel. very thin. not all that great overall....its too....wispy....or something. it kind of seems like Ommegang was too scared to give this beer a good solid flavor so they watered it down and thinned it out. not my favorite witte by a long shot.

aforbes10, Sep 13, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle: Poured a pale clear yellow color ale with below average head with average retention. Aroma of orange and very subtle coriander. Taste is very light with limited spice (lack of coriander) with some limited sweetness/floral aspect. Carbonation is good but body is too thin. Watery feeling on the aftertaste kind of ruin this one for me.

Phyl21ca, May 02, 2005