2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ommegang Witte - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang Witte
No picture uploaded.

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

A traditional Belgian-style wheat ale with whispers of sweet orange and a touch of tart lemon. Spicy and refreshing.

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-01-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang Witte Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,538 | Reviews: 715 | Show All Ratings:
Philousa

2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Pale gold in color and completely opaque. It's like a neon yellow in the light; kinda weird. Pours with frothy white head that dissipates quickly to form a thin barrier on top. The bubbles seem like they want to stick to the glass, but the low viscosity of the beer pulls it down into the drink. I get pale malt up front with lemon and spiciness following in scent. I was expecting a bit more of a kick in a wit. I get a lot of pale malt on the tongue with nearly none of the wheat described on the glass. The citrus is undeniable, and a bit annoying after a while. I get mostly lemon, despite the claims of orange peel on the label. It stays on the front of the tongue, but some of the malt lingers with it in an attempt at balance. The light fruit flavor has some spiciness towards the end, but it's a bit muddled in the tang. The beer is easily drinkable and not very heavy which is nice, but not normal for the style.

Speaking towards my personal preference, I'm torn. On the one hand, I like that it isn't a normal wit in the sense that it is light. On the other hand, it's overly tangy. In the end, evil outweighs good and the tagniness is too overbearing. Get back to the chalkboard, Ommegang. I expect more of a Belgian owned company.

09-24-2011 01:39:36 | More by Philousa
cbros

2.15/5  rDev -43%

Serving type- 750 ml bottle

Apperance- poured a pale straw yellow with a thin white lace, it looked to be flat as there was no bubble activity after the pour.

Smell- there were hints of fruit but really not anything prevalent

Taste- tasted flat with a very bitter aftertaste. If I closed my eyes I thought that I was drinking water.

Drinkability- I think or rather hope that I purchased a bad batch because this was not a good beer experience. It was flat and skunky which makes me believe that this bottle had turned. I bought it at local cigar/beer store that had a very unorganized selection. I saw no born on or freshness date. I am going to have to give this another try and hope that I merely got a bad sample and not its true nature.

06-14-2008 01:45:00 | More by cbros
weizendoc

2.45/5  rDev -35%

Had a big 25 oz bottle (like the one pictured) given to me by a weizen-enthusiast friend. I crack into the bottle through the caged champagne-cork style deployment. Poured into a Erdinger weisglas. Interesting nose-lots of grassy, woodsy kind of scents, big voluminous head.
I catch a cheap whiskey-like bite on the sides of my tongue with this one. Mid palate is all grass and rubber. Mouthfeel is average for the style-plenty of watery carbonation. There is no fruit detectable in this one. Dropping an orange wedge in slightly improves the refreshment factor.
I had 4 good pulls then poured the rest down the drain. Snapped into a Hacker-Pschorr instead. Domestically speaking, Blue Moon beats this Wit hands-down. Hoegaarden's (true style) Wit remains my gold standard in Belgian Whites.

04-25-2006 03:46:24 | More by weizendoc
styrene

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Purchased for $4.99 at the local liquor store. I was really looking forward to trying this one...

Appearance: Pours a pale, translucent orange. There's a light head and carbonation visible through my glass mug. Not at all cloudy, as I would have expected.

Smell: Yeasty like a lot of belgian-style beers, but I don't sense any of the "traditional spices" mentioned on the bottle label. So far this beer is not at all reminiscent of a witbier.

Taste: Extremely light and, incredibly, maybe a little hoppy. This tastes nothing like any witbier I've ever had before. The sharpness in the finish is more like a saison, albeit a weak one. I'm really surprised at how thin and light this is. Witbiers are supposed to be crisp and refreshing, but this is considerably worse (i.e. simple and boring) than even Blue Moon.

Mouthfeel: Vacuous is the first word that comes to mind. This beer is weak. The aftertaste is bizarre and leaves me wishing to avoid the next sip.

Drinkability: Strangely bitter and thin, this beer is not satisfying.

Ommegang Witte will do in a pinch if the only other options are macros. I kinda hope I got a bad bottle, but I suspect not.

03-15-2006 06:49:37 | More by styrene
OWSLEY069

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a white head. In the aroma, wheat note and, well, it smells like hot dog water. In the taste, wheaty notes, a lemon zest, and hot dog water. A smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry lemon citrus in the aftertaste. Nice lemon zest, but the whole thing is like hot dog water.

08-07-2010 14:54:41 | More by OWSLEY069
cdizinno

South Carolina

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Presentation: 12 oz. capped bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Sandy yellow with almost no head retention.

Smell: Very weak with a slight hint of spiciness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Crisp with a thick dryness that does not want to leave the palate. Light tartness but generally devoid of taste.

Drinkablity & Notes: A decent brew though not comparable to the many witbiers that outshine this one.

02-03-2009 23:12:26 | More by cdizinno
Minkybut

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured this large beer from the bottle to a tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was hazy from the bottom sediment that the brewer sates not to get in your glass. I thought that was wierd. The beer had a pretty head at first but it soon faded. The taste and smell was slightly sour which I'm sorry but I just do not like any sour in my beer. Slightly fruity also which I aint keen on. I will not buy again.

02-24-2007 19:03:47 | More by Minkybut
aforbes10

Iowa

2.6/5  rDev -31%

very light yellow. white head. plain sour malt odor. not much flavor, very light slightly sour smooth malt. a little biscuity. ok mouthfeel. very thin. not all that great overall....its too....wispy....or something. it kind of seems like Ommegang was too scared to give this beer a good solid flavor so they watered it down and thinned it out. not my favorite witte by a long shot.

09-13-2006 20:01:16 | More by aforbes10
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Bottle: Poured a pale clear yellow color ale with below average head with average retention. Aroma of orange and very subtle coriander. Taste is very light with limited spice (lack of coriander) with some limited sweetness/floral aspect. Carbonation is good but body is too thin. Watery feeling on the aftertaste kind of ruin this one for me.

05-02-2005 19:12:01 | More by Phyl21ca
Brunite

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Serving: Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy, pale, light straw. Aggressive pour yielded 2 finger, white head that quickly disappeared leaving no lace.

Smell: What you would expect here. Some citrus/orange notes and some coriander. Not much else.

Taste: Disappoints given the aroma that we started with. Almost no orange taste. Mostly tart lemon and very slight spice. A lasting lemony taste is felt in the back of the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Quite a bit of carbonation. Watery.

Drinkability: This started out at its best and quickly paled away to less than average.

Overall: Rather disappointing. I was expecting more from this brewer. Pales compared to an Allagash White. Glad I got this one as a single. Would skip this in the future.

01-24-2011 20:38:22 | More by Brunite
Eriktheipaman

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

I am pretty surprised with the high rating but to each their own.

Pours a very clear pale straw with so-so head which was off putting.

The smell just kind of smells like....beer. Bready malt and that's about it.

The taste has more going on than the smell for sure. A little citrus with slightly dry herb on the back but all together a little one dimensional.

It is a very easy drinking beer and by no means bad, just seems like a poor example of the style to me.

11-19-2011 00:54:03 | More by Eriktheipaman
LeRose

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

Dragging the curve down again here... My wife is a fan of this style, I have made home brew witte, and have learned to appreciate the lightness and easy drinkability of this style. But...

Wanted to like this, but we were not happy with it at all. Seemed to lack anything to do with what we have come to expect from a witte (compared to Allagash White, for instance). Weak and watery brew that we might try again to see if it was just the bottle, but I have seen some other low scores for this product. Maybe consistency is an issue? What I tasted doesn't match with the other reviews on this site, for sure. Agree on the pour, lightly hazy, frothy head. We didn't get the citrus, fruity ester, yeasty flavors we like from this style at all. Very thin, watery mouth feel.

Reviewed from notes.

11-26-2012 20:15:49 | More by LeRose
RickS95

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours an almost clear, piss yellow. No apparent haze, but not exactly see through. Head is limited with little retention.

Has a yeasty, earthy smell to it. The orange peel and coriander notes are very muted.

Taste is similar to smell and appearance in that it's slightly lacking. All ingredients seem too muted to make a difference...only slightly different than a nasty macro lager with some spices.

Tart, and despite the lack of head, very carbonated...really has a bit to it. Kind of a peppery feel. Slight sweetness early on followed by a spicy, tart bite.

I'm not impressed. Tastes like a homebrewer's first try with the type. Nothing in the way of a redeeming quality.

04-09-2012 02:19:51 | More by RickS95
bigremy

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured a clean straw yellow with a frothy white head on it. Aroma was fairly clean, with some hints of the coriander and citrus in it. Taste was decent, but seemed to me to lack the depth I've found in other witbiers. The coriander and citrus that were in the aroma weren't strongly present in the taste for me. The mouthfeel was light, and the carbonation seemed to be lighter than I'm used to. The aftertaste wasn't strong, and seemed to have a slight citrus tart taste to it. Overall, a decent witbier just not one of my favorites.

01-06-2008 05:16:59 | More by bigremy
bebopkola

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Served out of a bomber bottle into a snifter. Pours a hazy yellow with a decent head that disapates within a few minutes and only a lace remains.
Fairly fragrant witbier on the first smell it was dominated by lemon and citrus, very tart smell.
The taste was very tart and overpowered the beer. The wheat and other citrus flavors that came through seemed to be at odds with the tartness of the beer. It leaves the palate somewhat dry and can't seem to shake it off for the longest time.
Overall this beer was decent, but the different flavors at odd with each other and the residue on the palate well after finishing are its downfall.

01-11-2008 06:32:21 | More by bebopkola
ghostmech007

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

750mL magnum poured into a pilsner glass.

Pale yellow and very hazy. You can't even see your fingers through the glass. The head is a joke with a whimpy lace that doesn't do a thing.

Very yeasty right off. Spices and coriander and orange. Harsh on the nose.

Crisp and very oily in my opinion. A slighty tartness that lasts the whole drink, and a strong wheat and malts flavor. Very yeasty with orange and coriander. Not much to the spices. The medium body and tartness really make this drink one sided and not very enjoyable. With flavors trying to compete for the front it didn't meld very well. I think I'll pass next time I see this one.

03-11-2007 20:42:37 | More by ghostmech007
beertunes

Washington

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured into Chalice. Poured a clear, bright white, with a small, tight head that quickly dissipated, leaving minimal lacing. A strong skunky aroma that is unexpected for a Wit. After a few moments the more expected Wit aromas, spice & fruit, showed up. The skunk is not as noticeable in the flavor but the typical Wit flavors are not showing up as anticipated. The body is light but well developed, as is expected for the style. Except for the skunk I would have given this a 5 for drinkability. This beer did not have the level of quality I have come to expect from this brewery or of this style. I am quite fond of both the brewery & style so I believe this is a sub-par bottle. I will revisit this beer in the future (I have had it in the past, including at the brewery) and give it another shot. I expect better from Ommegang, so I believe this to be an abberation.

02-17-2009 18:53:38 | More by beertunes
LucaBrasi

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

Well when poured there is a large bubbly head and a pale cloudy yellow color. The head will lessen. The smell is of yeast and a hint of citrus and spice. The taste is of light citrus and spice yet is kind of dull. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated tingle. The drinkablility is average.

09-01-2005 02:35:48 | More by LucaBrasi
CMW

Missouri

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

The beer pours a golden, light straw color that was fairly translucent. I will admit, I was expecting a little more in the way of a wheaty haze. There was a decent amount of carbonation present from which a nice two-finger white head formed. The head disappeared quickly though and left minimal lacing.

The nose is filled with the usual suspects wheat, lemon, and orange peel. The smell is also slightly spicy. This is probably coming from coriander and clove. Overall, nothing special in the nose, this is pretty basic for the style.

I found the taste to be quite boring. There were no surprises from the aroma to the actual taste. Up front, there was a mix of zesty spices and citrus fruit. In the middle, I was surprised by how little wheat flavor came through. The beer ended dry with an almost overpowering tart finish. I could not detect any alcohol in the finish, but this is not surprising for a Belgain witbier at 5.10% abv.

I must admit I am not a big fan of this style; however this brew is rather boring. No surprises in the nose or taste. I expected much more from this beer considering the brewery. Ommegang produces some terrific beers and I feel this one ranks a grade or two below their regular line-up.

01-26-2009 18:34:22 | More by CMW
lampkins

Wisconsin

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

The appearance of this beer would lead one to believe that the were about to have one of those great beer drinking experiences. The beer had the light yellow hue and a great head, like all wit beers should have. What was lacking in this presentation was the taste and smell. I could not detect anything in the aroma and the same for the taste. There was a faint taste of wheat, but no spiciness or citris taste. Not one of their best brews.

09-14-2004 15:19:12 | More by lampkins
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a bomber. Pale clouded yellow with an OK head. Smell is kind of rough - a bready sweet yeastiness, like dough. Not picking up any spicing in the smell, nor in the taste. Very yeasty sweet, a veritable yeast infection you might say. Mouthfeel is OK. Medium bodied, good level of carbonation. Drinkability would be good if only it tasted good. With the wide amount of Wittes available to me, I see no reason to bother with this one again.

03-19-2007 12:26:31 | More by Onibubba
MoreThanWine

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

Maybe I had an old sample but my experience didn't live up to my expectation from this brewery. Started nice with a 3" frothy head and a hazy lemonade yellow. Smelled on the road to skunking however. Yes it had some hints of spice and citrus but to be honest with you it was so mild that this could have passed for any meak American beer if in a blind taste test or straight from a can. It did have a longer than average finish.

04-12-2011 08:36:02 | More by MoreThanWine
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 5/20/2007 (750mL bottle):

Pours a cloudy light yellow color, but still translucent. Big white foamy head. Citrus spicy aroma, a light aroma, Belgian. Watery, spicy taste. Some good spice, not too carbonated. A nice refreshing beer, good with pepperoni pizza. Tasty, but a little watery.

02-11-2009 19:50:52 | More by jujubeast6000
Buggies

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

A: Hazy straw yellow. Thin white head.

S: Smells sweet. A lot of citrus to me. Wheat malt is present. As it warms, the coriander starts to arrive.

T: Much like nose really. It mostly has a citrus twang to it. There again, the finish is slightly citrusy as well with a sweet stuckyness on your tongue.

This reminds me more of an American wheat than a wit. Not a bad bear by any stretch, but it was just very uninteresting. What it would make is a nice session when you just want to drink a bunch to cure a thirst on a hot day.

06-30-2009 01:13:14 | More by Buggies
ryan1788a5

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Unibroue Flying U glass, yeast added.

A: Cloudy light yellow with a creamy white two inch head. The head dissipated quickly and left some light patchy lacing.

S: Some funk from the yeast, tart lemons, coriander, and soft spices.

T: Big taste of tart lemons overwhelms the palate. Some coriander and white pepper poke through a little. Wheat taste pops up at random intervals. Slightly chalky, funky Belgian yeast in the finish.

M: Thin watery mouthfeel, seltzer like carbonation.

D: Decent. Not a hard beer to drink, but I am not really left with the desire to have another.

Notes: This beer is not very well balanced. The tart lemon taste dominates far too much, and the other flavors are muted. Mouthfeel is off-putting as well. I was disappointed by this beer. A sub-par offering from an otherwise excellent brewery.

09-26-2010 23:17:46 | More by ryan1788a5