Ommegeddon - Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 03-01-2005

Ommegeddon is a Belgian-style ale with a wild twist; a dose of Brett yeast and a blast of dry-hopping. Its dryness and funkiness beget the name.
4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, no dating that I could see, poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden yellow color. The head formed thick, 3-4 fingers worth, and had decent retention.

Aroma: Citrusy, peppery, and earthy.

Taste: Very complex. Sweet apples mixed with sour lemony flavors. Some earthy and grassy tones come through in the middle. The finish is sour and lemony, and lingers for some time.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and creamy. The carbonation balanced well.

Overall: Extremely complex and tasty. Normally I don't like sour beers but this one's great stuff. Highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

A – Poured a very hazy bright golden amber. Very very cloudy here with a decent amount of sediment as well. Color was very bright, a nice yellow. A good two inch plus head of white fluffy foam formed on the top and this lasted a good amount of time before gradually fading down and resting on top as just a thin layer of lace. Lots of carbonation was visible, even through the haze and you could tell this was a very lively brew. A decent amount of side glass lace was present as well, and this thickly coated the inside of the glass.

S – The aroma here was very light and bright. Full of vibrant smells and sweet with a huge yeast presence. The first notes that I was able to pick up were that of light fruits, apricots, pears, and apples. Very nice light summertime like smell. As it warmed it really started to give off a light hoppy aroma, something that I am quite fond of in Belgians and just do not get to see enough of. This continued on and blended in very nicely with a fresh cut grass aroma and a just overall nice light earthy smell.

T – Now this was good. From the first sip here I knew I had a winner. It had such a light taste and flavor profile, it just really rolled through your mouth and brightened up the whole session. Lots of light and active yeast here from the very start and that was very obvious. Lots of ripe pear, peach, apricot and fig flavors were dominating here and giving it a rather sweet and fruity overall presence that just kept you wanting more and more. A nice dry hoppy like finish only served to further push this one through and really solidify it as a solid light Belgian offering. Not even a hint of alcohol in this what so ever in here and this was just soo light and pleasing to drink. As it warmed a lot of the grassy flavors started to come out and it took on more of a Belgian Pale type flavor. Just really a good tasting brew here.

M – Like silk would be the best way to describe it. It had a nice complex feel to it and really a lot of carbonation which is always a plus. The carbonation held on till the bitter in and really helped to percolate and push the flavor through. This was especially evident in the beginning but towards the end of it there was a bit of a grainy feel to it, mostly due to the the sediment starting to come though. This was a really nice feel though and kept up with the light, and not too heavy feel of it.

D – Really good here, especially comsidering the ABV. This had no taste of the abv and it was very well Blended. The flavors were so light and floral that even on a warm afternoon this was superb to sip on. It had a refreshing quality that I do not normally attribute to Belgians, but never the less this one had and it really showed. I could have easily went for more of this then what I had.

Overall I was more then impressed with this one. It really gave me a good feeling and was by far my favorite Ommegang brew to date. Now this was a different kind of Belgian for me, something that was light, fruitier, and hoppier then what I normally associate and I loved every minute of it. I really have to find me way to get more of this as soon as I can, this could easily become one of my more favorite brews, definitely need to get ahold of this one if you can, really well put together, and honestly almost a new style entirely. Highly recommended.

Batch #2, March 2008 - tasted 9 March 2009

The beer pours a clear, bright honey gold capped by a thick, dense white mousse. Streams of bubbles rise generously into the foam.

The aroma opens with a refreshing blast of tart grapefruit and citrus blossoms. Hint of earthy, funky brett note underneath. Candyish fruity quality also. Tres Belgique!

It's light bodied and spritzy on the palate; the carbonation tingles all over the tongue. The thick foam lends a creamy texture and increases the mouthfeel.

The beer tastes tart, fruity and floral, with grapefruit and citrus rind, citrus blossom, and plenty of that classic brett funkiness. This is outstanding! Refreshing, palate-awakening, and definitely more-ish! Lingering sour-funky finish. Incredible.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

A- 1 finger head that recedes to a slight/sparce lacing. Nice yeasty cloudiness. Great representation of the style.

S- Lemon grass, hay, apricot, mustiness.. very complex.

T- Great balance of malt/hops. Nice apricot, grass, and lemon aspect. After taste consits of a nice wet straw.

M- Medium carb'd that works great with the body.

D- A great beer that I look forward to trying as soon as possible. While tasting, I sampled some Italian sausage that paired perfect with this style.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

750ml brown bottle marked "Batch #1, June 2007" on the neck. Sampled after six months of cellaring (late December 2007) as suggested on the label.

The beer pours hazy pale yellow. Carbonation is gentle and only a thin white head could be induced. The smell carries musty yeast, powdery lime, and sour barn-yard fruit notes. Rather nice and something like one of the fruitier Fantome saisons. The flavor is much funkier and even more adventurous. Sour fruit, musty hay,peppery yeast, and lime peel notes assault the tongue, followed by a strong and rough-hewn balancing graininess. Finishes with quenching and refreshing dryness; begs another sip assuming you can handle the sour punch. The beer is quite light, extremely clean, and perhaps a little thin in the mouth.

A break-through beer for Ommegang. All of their releases are good. This one puts them up with the best and most daring Belgian brewers.

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

So finally, the new batch of Ommegeddon gets here! Went to the bar, bought all they had in stock. Last year I did the same and put most of them away in the cellar to rest for a year. Opened a bottle of the 2008 batch by its self and then opened one of each the 2007 and 2008 to compare.
2008 - pours really heady. I know we should be using a stem glass, but i prefer my pint glasses. glass half full, 3 inch head, very stable. aroma is akin to a hot summer day. let the head settle for about 10 and then dig in. The brett bit me right off and then the citrus and spices developed a few minutes later. second drink offered a little more hoppy bite, but still a little weak from what i remembered. The aftertaste is almost non existent, very clean finish and smooth. Put down all 22 oz and was wanting more.

next time opened both bottles and compared. The 2007 had a much more complex flavor, fuller hop character and less head. Even though the 2008 has had 18 months to age in the brewery, it still needs a little more time in my opinion. Still a great beer, but back to the cellar for the 2008, maybe next year buddy!

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel glass.

Very active fizzy carbonation at first pour, very clear golden amber (yeast firmly settled as this was stored upright in the fridge) with large white creamy head reaised, bubbles of varying sizes, retention excellent.

Sour funk (the brett I guess) immediately apparent on the nose, and it is very nice. Recalls Belgian geuezes nicely...appley fruitiness underneath, some lemon and coriander. This beer shows best after warming closer to room temp. The carbonation settles down to a mild fizziness, this is dry, somewhat sharp beer. This is a good thing, the bitter hoppiness combined with a pleasing sourness convey the tart fruit )apricot and apple) very nicely. Really comes across as an excellent saison--and actually, despite the dry sourness, is creamier than a Cantillon-style lambic...I think the fact that I am thinking about some of the best Belgins on earth indicates that this is a very good brew. I am loving the interplay between the brett sourness and funk and the cris hoppy bitterness. The finish is extremely long. Certainly one of Ommegang's best brews...very glad I found some. When I visited the brewery last autumn this brew was not available, but some months in the bottle probably were good for it. A nice amalgamation of disparate beer styles that works very well.

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Recently tried this one at the extreme beer fest. Had no idea ommegang was even attempting a wild beer. Bright yellow color, like a supped-up wit. Brett in the nose. On first taste it definetly had a wheat component, directly followed up with the classic sweaty horse that brett imparts. Not much if any sour/lactic flavors, with the brett playing starring role in the wild yeast department. If you are into beer's feral side than this is one to try(if you can get your hands on it, if you do, let me know where you found it). I believe the guy who poured it for me said it was around 8% abv, but you would never guess when you were drinking it. If i had to put some label as to category, it would fall into the experimental saison. I wonder if this is anything like they used to brew for farm hands?

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My girlfriend brought me this beer back from her recent trip to New York. Ommegeddon pours a hazy light copper with a thin foamy head. From the aroma I would almost guess this was a wit, it has a slightly sour yeasty smell with a vague hint of corriander, although I might be imagining it. The flavor is delicious, dry and refreshing, lots of light malt flavor despite the dryness. Hop flavor is present but not overdone, nice and balanced. There is some funkiness from the Brett. The finish is exceptional, full bodied despite being dry and refreshing.

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Batch #1, June 2007. 750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice white head. The aroma is malty and slightly tart with some funk, citrus and leather. The taste feautres some malt with spices and a touch more of the funkiness. Overall, this brew is one of the best I have had all year and really stands out as one of the finest Belgian style beers this side of the pond. Highly recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

What to drink for review #666? Ommegang's Ommegeddon, of course!

Straw-yellow, much more yellow than expected, but what did I expect? It's a wild ale and there aren't a whole lot of rules other than huge funk thanks to crazy-ass Brettanomyces. The head is small, remains small, but never really goes away. Big catacombs of lace formed with each tilt of the goblet.

Aroma has the musty, funky, earthy vibe that would be expected, though it's fairly tame, more along the lines of a Saison than something more over-the-top. Not completely dominated by Brett, this lets some fruity esters shine through, notably apple, pear and peach.

Flavor sits further out on the ledge than expected from just sight & smell. While it remains far from saddle-blanket insanity, it delivers some eccentric yeastiness front and center. But that's not all. There's plenty of depth here, held up well by vanilla/cookie-dough malts, plenty of fruit-syrup sweetness, some lemon pucker, a taste of honey, and a light peck on the cheek from the alcohol. Sour/tart yeast hits in the finish, an uncanny resemblance to yellow vanilla/lemon cake with sour cream frosting.

Mouthfeel is just right, holding a fine balance between tingling carbonation and syrupy thickness, a curious but enjoyable meeting of the thick and the refreshing.

This is not insane Brettanomyces Armageddon, as label and name seem to promise. For anyone already into Duvel and other great but easy-to-drink Belgians, this would be an excellent gateway to the wild world of yeast funk. I wanted a ton more stinky dirty-sock sweat craziness, and ended up just as pleased with the depth of flavor and amazing balance on display. Delicious. One of Ommegang's best.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

To start things off, I would like to thank Vendome Liquors for carrying this rare gem, and Ommegang for making this. Labled on the bottle is Batch #1, June 2007. On to the beer:

It starts off with a hazy blonde appearance (from the yeast) with a fluffy white head on top. The best way I can describe the flavor is it's a witbier/Hennepin hybrid on HGH, and it's quite smooth. It's spiced finish and bubbly feel are welcomed, and what I found to be the best part of the beer. Drinks pretty well for the style.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought this for $12.99. I was expecting a few more flavors to creep out, and I was drinking most of it at room temperature. But it's smooth flavor and champagne-like texture were invigorating to me. I'm sure you can still find a few bottles of this sitting around somewhere, and if you do, get one.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

It has been a little while since I have had a good Belgian-Style funky brew. This one did not disappoint.

The funky aroma burst forth as soon as the cork the popped. The beer poured golden yellow with a slight haze and nice pillowy head with good retention. The evolving aroma moves from fresh to funk. Starting out with some effervescent green apple peel, sourness moves to grassiness, then earthy yeast funk with a twist of dank cellar.

The beer dances across the palate leaving crumbs of spice between the boulders of funk. Sour apple, tall grass, lemon and funk form the collusion, but the booze emerges just as it is swept away. I could drink way too much of this!

Embrace the Funk!

4.54/5  rDev +17%

OMMEGEDDON - "Farmhouse Ale w/ Brettaanomyces"

"American Wild Ale", ABV = 8.0, 750 ml bottle poured into a tulip style glass, 9/14/08

A 4.0
awesome cloudy golden color! not a huge head, 1 finger, some mild lacing
S 5.0
fruity and wheat smells, not to funky like I possibly expected, hints of lemon and wheat, no pepper notes noticed that I have seen from other reviewers
T 4.5
Slightly buttery for an ale, reminds me of a good Chard, maybe from oak, who knows? Hoppy with a buttery type wheat finish, great balance on this ale. The funk did not capture this one!
I did not notice the funk I expected.
MF 4.0
Smooth on the palate with a subtle bitter aftertaste, medium body, like a good wheat beer
D 4.5
I am a loyal Ommegang fan, I would put this one in the top 4 of their beers for sure. Hennepin as my top, it's a toss up on the next 3 (Rare Vos/Amber, Dubbel/Abbey, Ommgeddon)

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle date May 2009. Poured from a corked and caged bottle into wine glasses for my friends 25th birthday. Happy quad century Chad.
It poured out a very nice transparent gold with moderate visible carbonation and a quickly disappearing head. No lace. The scent starts out with sour grapes, hay, bread and a little something sweet, can't really place it but it adds some nice balance to the smell.
The taste is slightly more subdued than the smell. Sweet pale malts take over the top, earthy and floral hops follow. A nice sour (only slightly) pear and dusty hay taste for the finish. Very smooth. Carbonation is a little high but just barely. Amazing wild ale. Bless the brett. I rally enjoyed this brew. Well worth $12.98 and I'll be getting a few to cellar with my Russian River's.

Batch #4 from May 2009

This is my first ever American Wild Ale or Gueze. I'm really excited!

A-burnt orange colored with a nice thick, pale cream colored head. a lot of bubbles.

S-I smelled it a few times and I think every time I picked up something new. Its very zest with a lot of grapes, orange, and...for some reason i pick up the scent of caramel. yes, i think its the barley...smells almost caramelized. there's a slight maltiness to it as well. a bit of banana as well.

T-hits with very crisp banana-esque malts. It transitions smoothly in to the caramelized barley with hints of banana. This dominates the after-taste. There is a really slight tanginess toward the end, nothing over powering. I didn't pick up the sourness or the tartness in this one.In the end there also some good belgian sugars that come in to play. This is quite a balanced and complex beer. I am really looking forward to the next wild ale i get to taste!!

M-a good medium and creamy carbonation with a good dry finish

D-wow, this is just such a smooth beer. as the drink goes on, the tastes do sort of blend together. i might have rather had this in a regular 12oz. bottle but i still did enjoy every sip of this beer. I definitely hope to have more of this some day, and I definitely will be telling my friends about this one!

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Served a nice hazy yellow with a decent head that diminished rather quickly but left decent lacing on the glass. The aroma was of spice with a bit of sweet fruit as well. The taste was nowhere near as sour as Russian River Temptation. More along the lines of a yeasty Saison. The beer was very crisp and refreshing, however. This one is very enjoyable, but like anything of the style, it's a little pricey.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Color: Pours a golden yellow color with a nice fluffy head and decent/cloudy carbonation.

Aroma: Spicy/fruity with an emphasis on citrus, possibly due to the hops used? A bit bready as well.

Taste: Fruity and spicy. Sour. Citrus shows through at the top but fades into a sour/grassy flavor. Somewhat tangy. Smooth.

Mouthfeel: Sour/tangy with a small hint of citrus.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. It's a good beer if you like sour beers like gueuze and lambics. I could have aged my bottle longer but I think it's good the way it is, fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Can we say winner? Ommegangs new farmhouse, wild saison is a sight to behold, slightly cloudy pale golden with a thick cap of white froth topping it off like the top layer of a dairy queen blizzard. Head retention is nice as well. Aromas are all funky farmyard brett and some other wheaty yeasty notes as well. Hopping is light and just serves to give a bitter end and dryer spirtzy finish. Taste is funky as hell, sweet and sour almost, a good vs evil sort of story with the brett winning control, slowly but surely. A real brett bomb, this one is. Mouthfeel is sharp spritzy and dry at the end leading to a wonderful drinkability. Possibly the most "summery" tasting wild/farmhouse ale i've tasted as of yet. I can just imagine how much better this one will taste outdoors at their brewery! It's a real show stopper and I can't wait until it is brewed again and gets some wider distribution!

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown, corked and caged bottle marked batch #2, March 2008 and served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: The body is cloudy with a pale yellow orange color and it has some active carbonation that rushes up to the head. Its head is white, fluffy and builds up thick and tall. It has excellent retention and coats the whole inside of the glass with lace.

Smell: The aroma is lovely combination of fruity and funky yeast with notes of pear and dried apricot, mellow floral hops, light wheat and doughy malt.

Taste/Mouth feel: The flavor hits the tongue with tart funky yeast, sour grain and wheat. Hops come in and add an almost minty herbal flavor and mild bitterness. The finish is dry and the yeast flavor lingers, begging me to sip again. On the palate it has a light to medium body and a smooth texture with active yet smooth carbonation.

Notes: Its palate makes it easy to sip and its complex aroma and interesting flavor enticed me to drink on. Very well done!

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

Not sure when this was bottled, but I've been holding onto it for four to five months, so it's got to have a bit more age on that by now. Pours a light, dirty gold color with a big, white head that fades to a tenacious collar. The aroma is fairly light, although it does display some nice barnyard elements and a touch of citrus. There's also a warm, vague spiciness that I expect is a yeast artifact. On the palate, wonderfully soft barnyard off the bat, with funky citrus wrapped in hops oils coming up at the mid-palate. Very dry, with no residual sweetness left, and a finish that is mouth-encompassing with intense tingles. Big carbonation throughout, along with potent, lemony acidity that never gets too harsh. Overall, this is almost fantastic. I must say that letting this sit for five months plus was a good idea -- it's dry but still soft, which, for a wild ale, is a precious combination. I wish I had more of this.

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

I got this bottle in a trade with nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

This is from Batch #2, March 2008.

It pours a hazy straw gold with a 2 finger head of foam. Head retention is awesome and it sure doesn't suffer from lack of lacing!

The smell is very nice! I get lots of yeast, Brett, pepper, citrusy fruit, some caramel sweetness..very complex and very compelling.

The taste is true to the nose and that's a very good thing. The Brett is really big here but it doesn't exactly overpower the other flavours at all. Plenty of yeast flavour, pepper, tart fruit, a lovely bitterness, and the finish is quite dry and crisp demanding, yes demanding, that I take another sip and who am I to argue. ;^)

Medium bodied, the carbonation is fairly brisk but it works for the flavours that are in the Wild Ale. Drinkability would be off the charts if it were a bit less in the alcohol department though...whilst drinking, no *real* signs of it are in the taste at all and there's just a wee bit of warming after the swallow. No doubt, I won't have a problem finishing this 750 off....

Bottom line: This American Wild Ale is delicious, looks great in the glass, has a good mouthfeel, and is very drinkable. This is a good example of why I'm tempted to change my profile's favourite style from American IPA to American Wild Ale. The only trouble is, very good IPAs are relatively easy to find, one way or another. American Wild Ales, not so easy.

Thanks again Alan, for another great brew!!

4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

I had this with dinner at Christopher's in Porter Square on Tuesday night. I noticed that they had Ommegeddon on tap. It was served in a 12 oz. Ommegang glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden. Pleasingly turbid, not so cloudy as to look murky, but enough to give a nice diffuse glow to the light passing through. A thin white head fades to a wispy film leaving patchy lace.

Smell: Bananas, candi sugar, Brettanomyces funk, and a grassy tartness.

Taste: Initially sweet, with a spicy sensation coming from the tingly carbonation. Fruitiness becomes evident, bananas and something I couldn't place. The finish is a mild Brettanomyces finish: lightly bitter with an earthy tartness. The Brett isn't the strongest, but it works well here.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, moderately carbonated, dry in the finish.

Drinkability: Crisp, tasty with a refreshing dryness in the finish.

4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

So I've been sitting on this beer for about 9 months, June 2007: Batch 1. I am expecting an absolute BRETT EXPLOSION (as evinced by the label) and have to be in the right state of mind to take on this beer.

Pours a slightly clouded golden orange into my sniffer with small carbonation bubbles rising up into a small white head. Excellent lacing.

Smells pleasantly of light brett and apples, pretty fruity.

Taste: I'm immediately surprised by some fruit salad taste upfront. Some funky brett in the middle and sour grapes towards the end with a little more citrus funk on the finish. Definitely not the horse blanket, Brett bomb I was expecting here.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. This is a complex beer as there are lots of different tastes working together here.

This is a very drinkable beer, not one you're gonna pound on a hot summer day, but I can definitely polish this bottle off. The 8% is nowhere to be found, they did an excellent job masking it.

I have two complaints:
1) OK so I was expecting extreme (and months of mental preparation) and instead got a deliciously balanced, unique beer. More fitting of Ommegang. Alright, so I guess I can't really complain about that.

2) There is a sticky sour/funky finish which lingers in my mouth afterwards. I have to imagine my breath is kicking. Luckily the girlfriend is out for the evening. So I'm gonna sit back and polish this off with worrying about offending. Another nice beer Ommegang!

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%

Almost fully opaque. I can still slightly see my fingers. Rust color. Lots of bubbling action. A quick minute or so after the pour, the're only a minor head left, but it stayed the entire duration.

Lots of dark fruits in the aroma, mainly sweet apple, plum, plus apricot and peach.

I taste significant fruit notes, but these are brighter fruits than those I smelled. For example, I taste apricot and peach more so than apple, and I don't taste the plum I smelled. There's a sourness "funk" going on that the beer self proclaims. Notable apple and lemon flavors during the long finish. Notable hops, but they're in the background.

Mouthfeel is lively, and the drinkability is inviting. However, the sourness may become unwelcome after 2 of these back-to-back.

Ommegeddon from Brewery Ommegang