Ommegeddon - Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 03-01-2005

Ommegeddon is a Belgian-style ale with a wild twist; a dose of Brett yeast and a blast of dry-hopping. Its dryness and funkiness beget the name.
2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

Date: 06/10/2010
Type: 750ml. Corked/Caged Bottle
Vintage: Batch #3, 2008
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

A big pop of the cork lead to a pour of golden straw in color, w/ a big 11/2 finger head that stayed as bubbles continued to rise from the bottom of the glass. No lacing presence. Aside from the appearance, the rest is downhill. Nose was of citrus, orange peel, light funk, and believe it or not Alka-Seltzer. Taste? All I could bear was two sips and I headed to the drain! This brew reminded me so much of Alka-Seltzer that it made me literally sick to my stomach! Drinkability was non-existent as I drain pured the bottle after only two sips. Mouthfeel was way over carbonated.

Overall, this is one of the worst beers I have had the this year, hands down!

2.34/5  rDev -39.7%

2009 bottle.

Golden yellow hue. Finger of white head. Nose is full on brett city. Like band aids soaked in band aid water wrapped in more band aids. Flavor is pretty much the same as the nose. If I dove face first into a pool filled with band aids it wouldnt taste this bretty. Medium body. If there were a city named brett this beer would be the drink of choice.

2.43/5  rDev -37.4%

served from a bottle
very disappointed with this one.

poured into a oversized wine glass

A: light golden color with slight off white head

S: very barnyardy smell, some lemon, but mainly wet animal

T: at first not bad, very very dry, lemon zest, some pepper, a bit of funk. but as it warmed it became a little foul, almost started tasting how it smelled. like a dry zoo. dont mean to bash it but this clearly isnt a sour/wild ale. its more of a dry ale.

M: carb good the entire time, went down very dry

D: i got down to about 3/4 and couldnt finish it. wouldnt ever get it again, rather pay a little extra and get jolly pumpkin or russian river.

2.54/5  rDev -34.5%

March 2008 bottle, drank 2/22/11.

A - Light, golden apple juice. A lively head that stacks 4 fingers high and setles into a loose foam.

S - Sour, hints of manure, hay.

T - Sour, dry grass, into tangy funk - like a bitter blue cheese.

M - Dry finish with a rolling tart-tang. Heavy carbonation.

D - If you dig the funk this would e a 3, for my palate though it's on the lower end.

2.62/5  rDev -32.5%

Corked and caged bomber into a glass.

A: The first pour produces a clear straw-colored body with gold highlights. Has generous effervescence that results in 3" of head with nearly 10 minutes of retention, receding into a half-inch foam top that leaves substantial sticky lacing down the glass. Absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, the second pour captured all the sediment, resulting in the same appearance, but cloudy.

S: Brett funk as hay, earth, grassiness, and mustiness. They call this a "funkhouse ale," and that's exactly what the aroma suggests. There is a light citric component, mostly lemon and grapefruit.

T: As expected from the smell, the initial taste is a grapefruit tartness, followed by a slightly sour and grassy flavor. The mid-taste is very earthy, with a lemony, slightly spicy, and crisp finish. Not what I expected from a wild ale, to be honest.

M: Medium bodied, with high carbonation.

D: I expected more "wild" flavors than this one delivered. It's not particularly sour, not much funk to this... I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish. Plenty of better examples in the style.

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%

poured into a allagash tulip.

The smell as a lovely brett aroma to it wit a bit of sweetness.

taste... this is a wild ale? There is a very mild sour/funk to this beer but not much at all. It is very sweet, lots of peach and apple. but very little sour or wildness. I was a bit... actually very let down by this beer. If you had handed it to me blind folded and had me taste it I would of guessed fruit beer.

It is drinkable but nothing from what you expect from the description or the name...

It wasn't hard to drink, ot bad by any means... but was not impressed by any means.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance - This is a dark orange in color, maybe even a deep copper you could call it, with a small white head.

Smell - I didn't smell anything right after opening the bottle so waited half an hour and still very little. I don't find any aromatic hops, the beer is supposedly dry-hopped, and really just a faint whiff of Brett.

Taste - The flavor is a bit more funky but not by much. I get some very mild horse blanket and a bit of sweetness that seems off. The only hops I'm finding are some leafy flavors but they are kind of flat and don't really pop out at you like they should.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with way too little carbonation for the style.

Drinkability - This is the first Ommegang that I haven't liked. It was way off style even for a style that is ill-defined, was flat in both body and flavor, and really lacked the kind of depth that you expect from this otherwise wonderful brewery.

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

On-tap at The Brewkettle, Strongsville, OH - 9/30/07

A: Pours a hazy straw color with a large frothy head. Lots of lacing left behind.

S: Abrasive aroma with a musty yeast smell. Smells like young homebrew just coming out of primary.

T: Stale, musty taste with a slight spiciness. The flavor grows tiresome.

M: Fairly light-bodied and fizzy.

D: I usually love wild ales, but not this one. The flavor is lacking any sort of complexity and just doesn't do it for me. I'll pass on this next time.

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Ommegang Ommegeddon Funkhouse- wild ale 8% abv

A: deep gold with yellow hues near the edges, 1/2 inch head with mild lacing, middle carbonation throughout. a second pour generates a huge fomay head

S: lots of funk, winey, leather notes, a sweetness with a burnt cotton candy note to it

T: not a ton of sour, more funk and buttery notes from the brett, the sweetness lingers, but more sourness would be welcomed, it lacks some core elements of a wild ale, namely that drying finish which it replaces with a gooey sweetness and loads of funk. The farmhouse/funkhouse appeal is fleeting without more complexity to back it up. Still interesting for the genre, but certainly not one of the crowning achievements

M: the mouthfeel is creamier than anticipated, not as light as the color would imply, a mild chewiness, with regular coating levels. It is the "Mario" in the Kart Racer sense. Again nothing to write home about, but interesting to give to someone unfamiliar with the genre. An entry level drug into brett, you could slip it in without her knowing, assuming that is your modus operandi, clandestine bacteria provisions on the reg.

D: With the sweetness and mouthfull pulling this overhyped sled, i dont feel that it is exceptionally drinkable. I dont finish a 22oz and wish for another. Certainly not an Aladdin's lamp, just some murky candy factory that has been overrun by barnyard animals. If you are a soggy sweet lover or enjoy glazed hay, here is your jam.

A- Golden straw in color and slightly cloudy. Lots of carbonation and a decent size head that quickly turns to lace.

S- A citrus sweet maybe pineapple fruit aroma but a bit sour and funky.

T- Slightly sweet citrus then followed by sour and backed up with a bitter and earthly/malty flavor.

M- Sits very light on the tongue with a finish that is very dry. This is a very thin beer that is almost champagne like.

D- I couldn't drink more than the 740ml bottle but its not bad. However, I would not rush out and pick up another.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Pour very slowly into a tulip. A clear golden color with two fingers of soft, fluffy, white head. Smell was decent. Picked up a fair bit of malt with a hint of hops and funk on the back end. Taste wasn't what I expected...very plain and slightly lacking. I don't know I guess I was just hoping to be punched in the face by funk but instead only got a malt with a little lemon zest and cracked pepper. The funk from the Brett didn't pick up till after swallowed and then was very faint. Felt light bodied with a good bit of carbonation in my mouth. All in all this wasn't a bad beer just not what I expected at all. I would drink it again but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice by anymeans.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a bottle on 12-17-09.

A - pours a hazy yellow orange witha big white fluffy foam that stuck around for quite a while

S - Aroma of lemon and orange citrus, with some funk, nice but a bit weak

T - a bit thin tasting, some citrus followed by some farmhouse, then roses and wet cardboard

M - nice carbonation and crisp mouthfeel

D - decent flavor but nothing overpowering, I have another bottle that I will age for a while to see how it changes.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a one-finger white fluffy head that clings. Cloudy dull light-golden. Smells horseblanket sour, lemon, pineapple, acetic, and salt. Powder of Countrytime brand lemonade. Some cherry.

Wheat bland with mild sour and storng carbonation. dry woodiness or straw. Dried out leather stuck on a dry tongue. Light body and light zesty carbonation. Drinkability is not very.

3.04/5  rDev -21.6%

Large bottle served in a wine glass. Pours a clear light gold with a thin white head and nice lacing.

The aroma is like nothing I've ever smelled before. Sharp and pungent, definitely a horse or barnyard aroma in there. The flavor starts off light and slightly sweet, but turns funky in the end. The same horse and barnyard flavors continue, but they are more subdued.

The carbonation is high, but pleasant. This is my first in your face brett brew, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not sure if it's my thing. I'll finish the bottle, but it'll take a couple sittings.

3.07/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle batch #4 purchased at Mahar's in Albany.

Ommegang ommegeddon

To duvel tulip

A:  copper orange in color.  Hazy, 1cm head reducing to a thin top, lacing on way down.

S:  smells like a Belgian ale but is laking in funk, I smell...none

T:  smooth, some fruit character, nice Belgian yeast taste, no funk....ugh.

M:  nicely carbed, medium body, full flavor

D:  highly drinkable says all but I'm highly dissapointed.  I've had fresher Orval that is funkier.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks to jtrockchalk for this 2 year old baby.

Poured a corked and caged 750 into my Dogfish Head snifter. I removed the cage and could see the pressure already starting to force up the cork. I decided to see how long it would take for it to push it out so I let it sit. Not 2 minutes later I hear a pop, thump and see my corkless Ommegeddon. No foam over but man, that brett must have chewed up something. Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter and all I got was 6 inches of frothy, icing-like head with 1/4-inch of actual beer. After about 3 minutes the head settled and I was able to pour in 6 more inches of foam. Eventually I was able to get a full snifter out of it. One big sniff told me my inclinations were right. The brett chewed up something and became huge. Massive notes of barnyard must, damp earth, and just a little bit of urine. Under all that brett comes lemon zest and just a hint of orange. The flavor is just as dominated as the nose is by the Brett. This beer tastes musty. Musty, with grass, lemon zest, over saturated earth, and your great grandmothers moth filled closet. This is hands down the brettiest beer I've ever had. The mouthfeel, while leaving your tongue sandpaper dry, still has a hint of residual sugar. Makes me wonder what this beer would be like in another year. Overall, this wasn't a great experience. The brett dominated every single aspect of this beer, and while I enjoy brett as a complimentary flavor, it produces to many barnyard flavors to be front and center. I think that maybe after 6-8 months in the bottle would be a prime time for the brett to mature but still retain what the beer is about.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours a very pale yellow with a gigantic white foam head. Coats the glass with foam.

Smells ... off. I love wild/sour ales, and I haven't come across a scent like this before. Almost a herbally, medicinally, lemony stank. I'm definitely not 'whelmed.

Taste has some sourness, but none of the raw, bracing vinegar/citrus zest that I get from a good Russian River/Lost Abbey/Geuze. Some rotten lemony ... and a bunch of weird, bitter, herbal notes.

Really not that great.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

75cl bottle from Batch #3. Pours a slightly hazy gold with a fizzy white head. Disappears rather quickly without much lacing. Strong brett presence; some leather notes with a lot of perfume character. Cherry and citrus esters. Somewhat sweet and floral, though the brett is overwhelming. Tastes strongly of leather and mineral; the brett is overpowering here as well. Some citric notes. Quite dry overall. Slightly oxidized. Light-medium body with high carbonation. Tastes like straight brett without any other character really. Like a bad bottle of oude Orval.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden hazy color with medium to thin white head. Aroma is decidedly Belgian (yeast) in style - lightly spicy, grassy, fruity and a touch of malty sweetness. No real tart nose here. Flavor is lightly fruity, but very very dry - as if from spices. I assume it is from the brettanomyces. Hmmm - not a winner for me, but it is quite interesting.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Had this beer at a recent tasting

poured into a pint glass, the beer had a nice white head, that quickly dissipated.

There was a very slight barnyard funk aroma, other than that not much going on in the smell department

as this was not wild fermented, just had the brett added after fermentation, there were very little funky flavors having been drank so young. just tasted like a slighlty old farmhouse beer

the mouthfeel was light

drinkability is not to high, would much rather move onto another beer.

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

A. Poured a bright lemony yellow with minimal head.

S. Lots of lemon and deffinately brett.

T. Very dry and fruity but not too impressive.

M. Nice dry and crisp with some great brett funk.

D. Not a bad beer to drink at all, just not very impressed with it compared to other wild ales I have had.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

750ml bottle purchased recently at Vendome Fullerton.
Batch #1, bottled in June 2007.

A- This beer pours a hazy gold color with an effervescent white head that settles to a thick layer, leaving a few sheets of lacing after each sip.

S- Big sour notes of Brett yeast, green apples, and lemon rind mingle with funky, musty aromas of barnyard hay. As the beer warms, the petting zoo smells really take over.

T- At first sip, there are somewhat muted flavors of musty grain and spicy yeast, but any discernable taste is quickly overtaken by a hard metallic sourness. The dry finish leaves funky barnyard flavors lingering on the palate. I purchased this lone bottle off of a shelf at room temperature, so who knows how this was handled for the year it was hanging around the store, but I remember really liking this beer when I first had it in August of 2007. But now, the taste is completely bland and one-dimensional, with the sharp sourness dominating.

M- The mouthfeel is light-bodied with active carbonation.

D- I found it difficult to finish even half a bottle of this.

I'll hopefully get to try (and review) a fresh batch of this soon.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Batch #1 poured while reading the Allagash Koelschip article in the latest BA mag. Trying to get into funkier types of beers I've previously had a not-so-favorable opinion of.

Pours a hazy, straw-yellow with a massive pillowy (and slightly overflowing - oops) white head. A tornado of bubbles rises up from the center of the glass. This is surprisingly faint on the nose, lemon, yeast, some barnyardy, mustiness and a sugary sweet hint on the end. Not as overpoweringly funky as I'd braced myself for.

Despite the unassuming nose, this has changed a ton since the first bottle I had fresh months ago - which I felt could have snuck in to lineup of belgian pales and gone unnoticed. Flavor profile seems heavy on wheat, a hint of pear and a sizable helping of lemon and orange peel. Finishes with a chalky sweet taste - like a citrus flavored vitamin - redeemed by another burst of lemon. That unpleasant pez note goes away as this warms, giving way to a more blended flavor with sour finishing notes.

As informed by the overflowing head, this is pretty dang carbonated, lending a really dry character, offset only ever so slightlyby what I presume to be a hop oilyness.

Still struggling with my palate's aversion to this and related styles - Flanders Oud Bruin (Goudenband, review forthcoming) may have been the breakthrough. This isn't my favorite thing in the world but I can respect it and i'm definitely buying a bottle to cellar for a greater length given how much this has evolved in 6 months.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

In short, I'd say this is a beer worth experiencing, though not one I'd necessarily seek out again.

It is quite an attractive brew, with a cloudy, lemony-yellow color, but unfortunately, it did not pour with much of a head (who knows, maybe the bartender was in a rush).

I enjoyed its wine-like aroma and strong, almost spicy flavor. Though my drinking companions disagreed, I found the hops flavor to dominate the aftertaste. I could also clearly detect the relatively high alcohol content. I must say, though, that I was disappointed that the flavors were not quite as complex as those in other saisons I've had.

I'm a big fan of Ommegang, and this one isn't the most drinkable of their brews, but it's definitely a fun one to try if you have a chance. (N.B., though this beer is categorized as retired, I found it at an Ommegang event in New York on August 23, 2006.)

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Hmm, had a cool name so had to try it. I never did have a 'wild ale' but the bottle said 'funkhouse' so it sounded cool.

Looks like a belgian blond alle, translucen straw with chunks of yeast floating around. Moderate carbonation with a short head in a goblet. Nose is sort of sweet and funky from the yeast. Taste is sickly sweet, hard to decide what sort of sweet flavors are in there, but the hops and funkiness show, overpowering the sweetness. It has a bit of a bite, not sure if I like it or not. But, again, it is a "wild ale" so I guess it's fairly wild.

Ommegeddon from Brewery Ommegang