Ommegeddon - Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 03-01-2005

Ommegeddon is a Belgian-style ale with a wild twist; a dose of Brett yeast and a blast of dry-hopping. Its dryness and funkiness beget the name.
4.17/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this bottle waiting for me for a few months now in the cellar. Chilled it for a few minutes and when I loosened the cage, the cork blasted right out. Good thing my thumb was on top or I might have lost an eye...

Body of this beer is fairly clear, golden orange with lots of visible carbonation, helped along by the etching at the bottom of the Duvel glass. The head is a monster, and is slow to recede with patchy lacing left behind.

The aroma is a funky yeasty one, warning of the brett used in this beer. Lighter fruit aromas in the mix, some honeydew melon and the like. Flowery as well, though I can't say what has created that impression, whether it is hops or a side effect of the yeast. Altogether a complex and interesting mix.

And then there is the taste.... It is all over the place. Mandarin orange sweetness, sweet lemonaid, melons, light brett sourness to the back half. A mix of flowery and citric impressions linger. Very dry. Really good.

Body is somewhat watery and there is plenty of carbonation. Not bad in the mouthfeel department, but could be better.

I don't know what to say for drinkability. It is not a hard slog, and it is good, but I feel that one big glass would probably be enough. Try this one, not really for the brett(as it isn't very sour) but for the all out complexity.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

The pour is a crisp and clear amber color with a nice fluffy Belgian head. There is great retention, which yields a beautiful delicate lace. The body has the look of bubbly, with streamers emanating from various points on the bottom of the glass.

Aromas of peach, apple, spices, and a touch of funk all built on a slight oakey background. The taste is more complex and enjoyable. Great esters from the base yeast contribute cherry, apple, peach, and apricot. The funk is more pronounced and adds some sweaty hay character just before the fruity esters give way to grassy hops and a dry malty finish. The result is a great beer.

Light and spritzy, this beer is not at all what I was expecting, but I don't really know why given Ommegang's excellence when it comes to brewing top-notch Belgian style ales. I could enjoy a whole 750 of this on my own and not bat an eyelash.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Batch #2 aged about 2 and a half years...curious, poured into chalice.

A---Straw color, no lacing.

S---Faint nose. Funk for sure, a little pungent, but faint.

T---Pretty good, this screams cheese plate, wish I had some. I guess the flavor has mellowed a bit. Lemon zest coming out of the finish.

M---Pretty carbonated, a bit thin. Nothing special.

D---Probably the fourth or fifth time I have had this brew. I keep wanting more from it, certainly not bad at all, in fact, its quite decent. Just does not make me wanting more.

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received from Cuzco (Nate) in Blind Bomber BIF. Reviewed blind, without knowing what was in the bottle.

Poured in a MJ Tasting Glass. Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of fluffy egg shell foam. Good mix of large and small bubbles in the foam. This is gonna leave lots of lace. Good appearance to start out with.

Aromas of ... um...well...I'm sorry, but cat piss? Cluster hops? Some malt and funk as it warms. Sour? Musty aromas come out as it warms. but that first sniff, WOW! Let see where this goes. I'll come back and rate aroma toward the end.

First sip is moderately sour. but, damn, I can't get past the cat piss aroma. It comes out in the taste too. I'm gonna have to fight through this one. My mind is blocked from tasting anything else but funk, sour, and that cluster flavor. I'll come back to this too.

Mouthfeel is prickly carbonation, and a hefty carbonic bite. Medium bodied with a little creaminess. I like sours, but my tastebuds must be off for this one. I'm not digging it.

Drinkability is ....um...well, no. Let me come back.

Back to aromas - barnyard funk, yeasty. Cat piss is gone. More of a classic sourness. Much better as it warms up.

Flavors of a classic saison, some pepper, funk, yeast. Some brett. Much better than at first. I'm thinking this is closer to a saison now, with a shot of brett. This is much better as it warms up. I'm digging it. It won me back.

Mouthfeel is still prickly carbonation. OH! first beer burp is definitely saison. Musty, funky, peppery, and dry. Yeah, I'm back. It's all good.

Drinkability is revived. I'm enjoying this now. I don't know what the hell was going on, too cold out of the fridge, maybe? I'll savor the rest of this. Nice save.

This is bottling #4, May 2009. Maybe that explains a little bit, some time to age. Once it warmed up, this was a damn fine beer. Too cold, and it sucked donkey ass. Thanks, Nate.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Ommegang: Ommegeddon (Batch #2, 2008) (Tasted 09/25/10)
750 ml. cork & cage bottle, poured into a cervoise goblet.

Appearance: Super hazed, the absolute definition of straw colored beer, big, unrestrained fizzy head, composed of medium sized tightly knit bubbles.
Odor: Hops are gone but there is a solid pear-like fruitiness going on undertones of funk in the form of horsey white pepper.
Consistency: Smooth, aggressive carbonation keeps things crisp, light body.
Taste: Tart apple and semi-sweet pear with a big undercurrent of malt sweetness, spice and funk jump in with a little bit of remaining bitter herbal hop flavor for balance. Finish clean, flavors clean up nicely, a bit of funy spice stays on the tongue.

Definitely another solid offering from Ommegang, a bit on the sweet side for my taste, but do not let that stop you from trying it.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle date May 2009. Poured from a corked and caged bottle into wine glasses for my friends 25th birthday. Happy quad century Chad.
It poured out a very nice transparent gold with moderate visible carbonation and a quickly disappearing head. No lace. The scent starts out with sour grapes, hay, bread and a little something sweet, can't really place it but it adds some nice balance to the smell.
The taste is slightly more subdued than the smell. Sweet pale malts take over the top, earthy and floral hops follow. A nice sour (only slightly) pear and dusty hay taste for the finish. Very smooth. Carbonation is a little high but just barely. Amazing wild ale. Bless the brett. I rally enjoyed this brew. Well worth $12.98 and I'll be getting a few to cellar with my Russian River's.

3.37/5  rDev -13.1%

Batch #4, May 2009 bottle. Poured in to a snifter.

A- Hazy, dark orange. Poured with a nice large 2, maybe 3 finger head that settled down to a film fairly quickly.

S- Smells like an average Belgian ale with a funky twist towards the end. Lightly grainy, yeasty, some sourness. Faint malt. Indistinct fruitiness as well and as I'm smelling the end of the glass I can detect the alcohol more strongly than before.

T- Not sure how to describe this one. Underwhelming. Mildly fruity and yeasty followed by vinegar notes and alcohol. Tangy at times. The hops make an appearance now and then, but I didn't notice them too much until I started burping. The flavors are all kind of muddled together.

M- Light and refreshing with prickly carbonation present all around my mouth. On the dry side.

D- Pretty average tasting Belgian ale with some tangy notes at the end to me. The funky vinegar taste helps to elevate it a little bit, but otherwise I am not really wowed. I drank it by itself, but I can imagine this would pair really well with food and that would probably help the drinkability as well. It will be awhile before I pick this up again if at all, but I might just to try a fresher bottle.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Spotted an 09 bottle of this tasty brew at Capone's the last time I was there, just had to pick it up.

Appearance: Poured from the 750ml bottle into my Shorts glass, the beer is a clear, deep copper color. A massive three inches worth of small bubbled, off-white head. Retention is good, and there's lots of thick sticky lacing.

Smell: Fruity, with a nice sour funk to it. There's a slight vinegary twang to it that really goes well with the other flavors. I'm liking this.

Taste: Light and fruity, with some nice funk mixed in. Not as sour as I thought it would be, but there is some vinegar tart to it. All of the flavors, the fruit and the funk, really blend together well. Nothing really dominates, everything just works well together.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation, light- to medium-body, smooth and refreshing. Well done here.

Drinkability: A very tasty, easy drinking, funky beer. I've seen this beer around before but only recently decided to pick one up. That is a mistake I won't be making again. If you can get it, I'd highly recommend trying it.

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Pour very slowly into a tulip. A clear golden color with two fingers of soft, fluffy, white head. Smell was decent. Picked up a fair bit of malt with a hint of hops and funk on the back end. Taste wasn't what I expected...very plain and slightly lacking. I don't know I guess I was just hoping to be punched in the face by funk but instead only got a malt with a little lemon zest and cracked pepper. The funk from the Brett didn't pick up till after swallowed and then was very faint. Felt light bodied with a good bit of carbonation in my mouth. All in all this wasn't a bad beer just not what I expected at all. I would drink it again but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice by anymeans.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

peach color with fine white suds
Aromas of apricot and pear
Really ripe peach, almond, and plum flavors
My favorite of the flight. Really expressive and generous.

Served in a flight with Oro de Calabaza and Allagash Confluence along with a dish of grilled white prawns and tomatillo-peach salsa. This one matched the food best and, for the record, I tasted the peach flavors before the dish hit the table. It was unmistakable.

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%

Almost fully opaque. I can still slightly see my fingers. Rust color. Lots of bubbling action. A quick minute or so after the pour, the're only a minor head left, but it stayed the entire duration.

Lots of dark fruits in the aroma, mainly sweet apple, plum, plus apricot and peach.

I taste significant fruit notes, but these are brighter fruits than those I smelled. For example, I taste apricot and peach more so than apple, and I don't taste the plum I smelled. There's a sourness "funk" going on that the beer self proclaims. Notable apple and lemon flavors during the long finish. Notable hops, but they're in the background.

Mouthfeel is lively, and the drinkability is inviting. However, the sourness may become unwelcome after 2 of these back-to-back.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours clear gold with ample head, good retention, leaves lots of lacing.

Aromas of malt and my Mom's cedar chest. Very strange.

Tastes malty, with a hoppy, bitter kick, then the brett comes in although mildly, along with some mild fruit flavors, I'd say grapes or cherries.

Body is medium with good carbonation, giving this a refreshing mouthfeel.

I think this beer is a very drinkable. It is basically a Belgian golden ale with some "wild" spice. Nothing too shocking, just a little wild twist.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml into a tulip. Pours a hazy honey caramel color with a big fluffy head that clings nicely to the glass.

Light malt aroma with minor funk and crisp citrus undertones. Nice scent but if blindfolded I wouldn't say this was a wild ale.

Tasty but underwhelming. The bottle set me up for high expectations, a wild ale taken to the nuke level . . . . this is not. I don't know why this is characterized as a wild ale!?! It is delicious and has the expected yeast but wild, no . . . . worthy of a nuke of flavor, no.

I'm having difficulty in rating this because if rated to style I'd rate it low but as a belgian it's delicious but not Ommegang's best . . . . . I can't rate this as a wild ale. It's a B at best as a wild ale but . . . . . oh well BA put it in this category so I'll rate to style.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Big fan of Brewery Ommegang and Farmhouse Ale...

A - Pour is a nice dark orange with amber hue. Good two finger head leaves behind a nice lacing at the top of the glass.

S - You can smell the barrel aging, the taste is not as strong as the scent but it does overpower the nose of this beer.

T - There's just not a whole lot there. All of their other beers seem to be much better crafted than this one. Just didn't do it for me.

D - Nice and easy for an 8% ABV. Goes down smooth with just a little bit of a offputting aftertaste.

M - Really thin and almost no carbonation. Not sure if this was the feel they were going for but it is what it is. You can swirl it around and it's like drinking a flat soda.

I'll still buy other Ommegang beers, just probably not this one again.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

This is a complete re-review. A Funkhouse Ale with Brettanomyces. Pours a medium/light clear orange with a very short, almost non-existent white head that very quickly fades to nothing. Nose is pleasant mildly assertive floral "waxy" esters; simple but pleasant and no Brett funk at all, despite the use of Brettanomyces yeast. No funky nose in this purported "funkhouse" ale.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery and without much charachter. Pleasant champagne like carbonation but pretty thin.

Flavors are pleasant and subtle, at first insignificant but actually they really grow on you and are elegant and appealing. Still, flavors are short and not long lasting but with a cooked fruit, light sweet malt and light burnt toast layered character..again...light, integrated and elegant.

Finish is light citric coffee and with some funk and brett in the flavors in the finish.

This is not a big beer with big flavors; this is an almost elegant beer with a nice funk in the finish. I like it; lighter style all around but with a lot of appeal and very universally food friendly.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer is an orange hued medium amber with a white head that is not billowing by any means, but has pretty good staying power. The aroma is very tart, with plenty of fruity esters and some crystal malt sweetness. The main aromas that I am getting are that of tart cherry, which is odd. The flavor has me a bit disappointed. It is quite lactic and has a lot of white grape flavor to it. Slightly peppery and spicy yeast shows through, some dried sherry like flavors, caramel malt, slight booziness and some herbal hop flavor. It is not a bad tasting beer, but for a beer with a mushroom cloud on the front of the bottle, I guess I was expecting more fireworks, if not a small thermonuclear explosion in my mouth. The body is medium and fairly chewing with effervescent carbonation. The drinkability is above average but not great, make sure to let this one warm a little, it definitely improves the flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

2009 Vintage poured into Duvel tulip.

A- Dark orange that has a slight to it due to my shaking of the bottle. A big fluffy three finger head that recedes slowly and leaves good lacing.

S- A blend of light funk mixed with some floral notes and some grassy ones. A hint of spice and a little grape in there as well.

T- The funk is a little heavier on the taste than the nose. More spice and some sours notes, maybe apple or grape.

M- The year's age on this one has made for a dry finish. Medium bodied and good carbonation that tickles the tongue.

D- What can I say, I enjoy a good funky beer. This one offers a good subdued funk with a dry finish. I would like to try this one fresh.

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

Date: 06/10/2010
Type: 750ml. Corked/Caged Bottle
Vintage: Batch #3, 2008
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

A big pop of the cork lead to a pour of golden straw in color, w/ a big 11/2 finger head that stayed as bubbles continued to rise from the bottom of the glass. No lacing presence. Aside from the appearance, the rest is downhill. Nose was of citrus, orange peel, light funk, and believe it or not Alka-Seltzer. Taste? All I could bear was two sips and I headed to the drain! This brew reminded me so much of Alka-Seltzer that it made me literally sick to my stomach! Drinkability was non-existent as I drain pured the bottle after only two sips. Mouthfeel was way over carbonated.

Overall, this is one of the worst beers I have had the this year, hands down!

2.72/5  rDev -29.9%

poured into a allagash tulip.

The smell as a lovely brett aroma to it wit a bit of sweetness.

taste... this is a wild ale? There is a very mild sour/funk to this beer but not much at all. It is very sweet, lots of peach and apple. but very little sour or wildness. I was a bit... actually very let down by this beer. If you had handed it to me blind folded and had me taste it I would of guessed fruit beer.

It is drinkable but nothing from what you expect from the description or the name...

It wasn't hard to drink, ot bad by any means... but was not impressed by any means.

3.57/5  rDev -8%

This bottle is '07 Batch #1. High hopes for this one after cellaring 3 years.

A - It pours an outrageous banana yellow hue, like an 80s Corvette, with a big white head.

S - Wow. This has got to be one of the best and funkiest noses ever; it is amazing what the Brett has done the the olfactory aspect. Apricot and Champagne fruity aromas meld with a still-discernible hoppiness.

T - Wow. Not the same type of 'wow' as the smell elicited, this is more of a shocking letdown. The flavor is nothing like the nose promises. It is basically a vegetal-tasting BSPA with a very little funk on the ends, and an imbalance of green, grassy hops.

M - The feel is very good, effervescent, dry, lighter-bodied.

D - I am perplexed by this brew. It is not that its bad, but it is definitely massively underwhelming. Perhaps my expectations are to blame. But it smelled so damn funky and fruity! Why didn't it taste like that? Damn!

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly hazy light golden yellow with a very tall, fluffy, white head that had ridiculous retention and lacing.

A variety of scents come across the nose, funk, yeast, fruit and spice. Those great funky scents transfer wonderfully to the tongue. Lots of yeasty goodness, with a fruity spice finish.

The body was nicely tongue coating without being overly sticky. Drinkability was great, I wish I hadn't held on to this bottle so long, I'll be drinking other bottle soon. Overall, a top shelf beer. Worth seeking out.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Aggressive pour into a snifter leaves a finger worth off white foam. Eventually settles to a decent topcoat that keeps hanging around. It is a opaque deep orange. Very nice.

S - Great caramel sweet aroma but you really have to get your nose in deep to be able to smell it.

T - It is really tasty. The sweet caramel fades into an alcohol warming. The funkiness is not apparent initially and I was disappointed but... after a couple minutes and wiggling it around my mouth a bit it shows up. Reminds me of a certain type of dried mushroom. Gets a little tingle going on in my mouth too. The taste lasts and lasts and the complexity keeps climbing.

M - Crisp and creamy? It really is exceptional. It exists in this magical realm between a triple and a pils.

D - This is defiantly a slow goer. Split a bomber with wife but could have probably handled one myself.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

A: the body is a hazy golden yellow straw color with plenty of particles floating about. A bone white slab of fizzy light foam has gathered on top. It eventually died down to a thin layer and the lacing is reasonable

S: the nose is quite tempting as funk, grains, honeydew, and lemon last in the nasal passage

T: the palate is reminiscent of lemon bars, pale malts, some barnyard grains, and half a sugar cookie. The flavors are kinda wild and things are overall bitter and crisp. I find this a nice combination of flavors: tart, sweet, spicy, and sour in the finish. Comes across with a minty herbal leaf character after big gulps (this might be a light alcohol residue).

M: a little more volume might not hurt this brew. It is super crisp and light with loads of bubbles

D: great on a hot summer morning as my clock just turned to 5:01am...where did the time go? Anyway, good beer and a great drinker. This always finds its way to the fridge from every one and a while

3.03/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a bottle on 12-17-09.

A - pours a hazy yellow orange witha big white fluffy foam that stuck around for quite a while

S - Aroma of lemon and orange citrus, with some funk, nice but a bit weak

T - a bit thin tasting, some citrus followed by some farmhouse, then roses and wet cardboard

M - nice carbonation and crisp mouthfeel

D - decent flavor but nothing overpowering, I have another bottle that I will age for a while to see how it changes.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Pours out a hazy yellow copper with a frothy two finger white head. The head has good retention but eventually dies down to leave nothing but a tiny ring on the beer and it looks like juice, reminiscent of other Wild Ales I have had. Spotty lacing is left lightly along the glass.

S- Smells has a few strong elements to it. Mostly caramel and fruit to it. The funk is present and so are some alcohol vapors. Earthy, grassy hops are noticeable in the aroma as well. The fruit is light like pear/apple/white grape. A good strength that doesn't fade.

T- A lot of caramel, light fruit and bitters. The light fruit is mostly like a pear taste. A good amount of bitterness from earthy, grassy, fruity hops. The barnyard taste is there with some funk and is probably the best part of the beer. The bitterness is a bit too high for me and the fruits take over to make it just a decent ale. Belgian yeast notes and spice notes make a pretty good appearance. A few soapy notes come through as well.

MF- Fairly thick for a wild ale and decently creamy. A coat of bitterness and caramel fruit hops stays on the palate. It is a bit warm from the alcohol as well. Carbonation is present at medium levels and feels appropriate.

DB- Not worth the price. Jolly Pumpkin is around the same price and better IMO. I really liked the label and other Ommegang ales I have had, a bit disappointing but also a decent experience. Maybe I will try it fresh some time as the bottle I have was about a year old.

Ommegeddon from Brewery Ommegang