Ommegeddon - Brewery Ommegang

OmmegeddonOmmegeddon

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Ommegeddon is a Belgian-style ale with a wild twist; a dose of Brett yeast and a blast of dry-hopping. Its dryness and funkiness beget the name.

(Beer added by: John on 03-01-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

The label had a an ominous red mushroom cloud on it, but thankfully uncorking this 750 ml bomber did not produce a bottle bomb gushing over my table. Instead the gentle smooth carbonation opened up to form a three finger tall head in the Duvel tulip I had selected for this review. The beer looked mostly clear, except for a slight yeast haze, and the smell was spicy and floral. The taste indicated that Ommengang had kept the Brettanomyces introduction in check, and the beer was tart without being funky. The tartness was accompanied by an old cheese like earthy flavor and both were balanced by the candi sugar, pale malt, and herbal and floral hops. Not quite as dry or spicy as the true handiworks of Belgian yeast, this was still quite a bit less sweet than most other American takes on the style. Very light and airy in the mouth, as intended I suppose. A great rare find from my local package store (Windward Beverage Mart). Way too easy to drink up despite the 8% ABV.

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Served a nice hazy yellow with a decent head that diminished rather quickly but left decent lacing on the glass. The aroma was of spice with a bit of sweet fruit as well. The taste was nowhere near as sour as Russian River Temptation. More along the lines of a yeasty Saison. The beer was very crisp and refreshing, however. This one is very enjoyable, but like anything of the style, it's a little pricey.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

Batch #1 June 2007

A - Pours a hazy straw color with a bubbly white head that disappears immediately.

S - Very mild aroma with hay, spice and lemon.

T - Tart, earthy, hay and apples with the slightest touch of funk. Very subdued.

M - Light with good carbonation and a dry finish.

D - I wish I would have consumed this closer to the 6 month recommendation for max brett funk. I thought it was good but a little light on the funk.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

I spotted this and had to have it because of Ommegang's line-up and history of great beers in the Belgian tradition. I paid quiet handsomely at $13.99 a bottle. Appearance is great with a pale yellow and a thick head. I'm a bit disappointed with the taste. With brettanomyces prominently dispalyed on the label I expect a quite sour beer. Funkhouse ale title also leads one to expect some different flavors. I was hoping for more sourness and more indication of wild fermentation. I almost detect none.

Not a bad beer but not as distinctive as the label and pedigree would promise.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

To start things off, I would like to thank Vendome Liquors for carrying this rare gem, and Ommegang for making this. Labled on the bottle is Batch #1, June 2007. On to the beer:

It starts off with a hazy blonde appearance (from the yeast) with a fluffy white head on top. The best way I can describe the flavor is it's a witbier/Hennepin hybrid on HGH, and it's quite smooth. It's spiced finish and bubbly feel are welcomed, and what I found to be the best part of the beer. Drinks pretty well for the style.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought this for $12.99. I was expecting a few more flavors to creep out, and I was drinking most of it at room temperature. But it's smooth flavor and champagne-like texture were invigorating to me. I'm sure you can still find a few bottles of this sitting around somewhere, and if you do, get one.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

After having this beer on tap the other night at the Sunset Grill and Tap, I was compelled to seek out a bottle. Label says it is batch #1 from June of 07. Pours a golden, slightly murky color, with a small heading, The aroma has a very dry champaign sort of character, as well as a light sour smell reminiscent of a chardonnay. When first hitting the palate, it has a very carbonated champaign flavor, but after letting it explore the palate a bit, some of that initial sharpness fades away to tart fruit, and then ends on a dry bitter note. Pretty light to medium in body. I can't taste any of the 8% ABV, but I am starting to feel it. For me, this was a very drinkable ale as well. This is a cool beer in my book. It might not be as funky or out there as some of the Cantillon beers employing wild yeast strains, but still an interesting move for Ommegang.

Saw this on tap and had to give it a shot. Looks cloudy golden orange with a nice offwhite head. Smells of pine, spice, some hops, citrus, cloves. Tastes tart, has earth tones, some hops, very floral. Delicous fruit, kind of reminds me of Fin Du Monde. Feels full and foamy, finishes a little dry. Tasty brew, especially on tap. I wont seek it out but I def wont turn away from it.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My girlfriend brought me this beer back from her recent trip to New York. Ommegeddon pours a hazy light copper with a thin foamy head. From the aroma I would almost guess this was a wit, it has a slightly sour yeasty smell with a vague hint of corriander, although I might be imagining it. The flavor is delicious, dry and refreshing, lots of light malt flavor despite the dryness. Hop flavor is present but not overdone, nice and balanced. There is some funkiness from the Brett. The finish is exceptional, full bodied despite being dry and refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

750ml
$11.99
Binny's Orland

Batch #1
June 2007

Ommegeddon. I've been witing for this beer to be bottled for a long while. Pours a straw golden with a slight haziness to it. A two finger white head formed on the pour that faded rather quickly to a swirling with thick edges. Leaves moderate lacing as the head recedes and after each drink. Good looking brew.

There is some of that brett funkiness in there. The first thing that hits me is a field of wildflowers. Nice dose of wet hay with a faint hint of bubblegum. Mild sweetness as if from candi sugar. Really welcoming smelling brew but not as funky as expected.

Flavor is right in line with the aroma. All the flavors transfer from one to the next seamlessly. Pale malts fall to the wayside quickly in favor of that bubblegum sweetness mid-palate. The funkiness comes around toward the finish but is still mild as in the aroma. The barnyard comes forth more than the smell. The hay is there but it's intermingled with horse blanket and dampness. Good flavor.

Great mouthfeel just like all Ommegang's offerings. Light and frothy with good carbonation. This ale finishes so dry it makes your tongue feel like it's drying up giving it the feel of a strong hop tingle.

The dryness makes you actually need another sip immediately after the last. Good flavor and light body make this an easy sipper.

Another homerun from Ommegang. I have a few in the cellar to sample in 6 months and later. This brewery has yet to let me down and they're always stocked in my fridge.

Note: This was a freshly released bottle. Added review after 6-12 months.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

A very good beer that is anything but retired- I had this one at the brewery in NY and it is not going anywhere.
App is nice, kinda tanish yellow with a nice head.
Smell was above average, smells of wild rice, and candy malt.
Taste is similar to the smell but stronger, and in this case, stronger is better.
Mouthfeel is near perfect.
Drinkability was quite good.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch #1, June 2007 bottle. Evidently not retired- just back in action. Hazy golden color with white effervescent head that quickly settles down to lacy. Smell is clean Belgian, fresh and quick with slight spice. Taste is quick and direct with citric, white pepper, banana, funk, alcohol. Flavor action very quick. Finish has mild hops and is quite dry. This is a quick-flavor beer and very drinkable. Hot days be damned.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Deceptively large bubbly eggshell head that instantly drops to lacing ala macro-lagers on top of a very opaque amber-golden body

S - Fresh, grassy hops, bananas, cloves, grapes

T - Very tart with an almost soily / resiny character; metallic as if from a can (a friend likened it to a "good Steel Reserve" if such a thing is possible) with a floral hoppy / phenolic soapy aftertaste. Sour grapes / apple / fruit pull through on the second or third taste.

M - Foamy, stingy with a bit of alcohol burn

D - This tastes, in all honesty, like a Hefeweizen from a can. I know that sounds odd, but by the time I had grown accustomed to the other, "off" flavors, that's what I was picking up - and it's not cross-contamination on the palate or anything, this was the first I had had. Either way, it's very drinkable, but not for 11.99 a bottle. Definitely something everyone should try once, though.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at the Blue Nile. This brew arrived in a Westmalle chalice. The beer is a hazy pale orange/golden straw color. The head is half an inch in height, and receded rather slowly living nice lacing. The aroma is very yeasty with a lot of pepper and a fiant yet noticable acidic twang. The taste is more balance than the aroma. It seems just as peppery, but the acidic sourness comes through a little more giving the beer more strucure and character. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. Overall, I was hoping this beer would me more sour than it is. However, I still enjoyed it, and will again if given the opertunity.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Hazed, straw golden, with an enormous, rusty, off-white head, stays long at the top of the Ommegang tulip glass it sits in.

Spices on top in this one, with some citric fruit feel underneath. A little pepper, a little apricot, and a pervasive mood of funk surrounds it all.

On the tongue, again, cracked pepper, and light fruit. A little spark, a little bite, and then it's all smooth, and easy. But the flavor never quits. Starts out stealthy, then spreads to all areas of the tastebuds, the black pepper and lemon rind rounding it out.

Stronger than your typical farmhouse, and not, however, quite as funky as I feared. Maybe the effect is felt more in the bottle.
That's okay, I can only take so much of that stuff. This is nice, I can drink one or two or three without feeling the 8%...or can I? I'm not going to try to find out tonight...maybe next time.

Another Ommegang delight!

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Great news. This beer is not retired! It really never was. Ommegang on made a limited amount and it was served on-tap at fests. By popular demand they decided to make this a fixture in the regular line of products and it will be released periodically here forward.

A description from the Brewery Website:

----
We are happy to introduce our newest addition, Ommegeddon.

It’s our new 8% abv Belgian-style ale with a wild twist- a dose of Brettanomyces yeast and a blast of dry hopping. Ommegeddon is a strong blonde ale with a sharp citrus flavor that, like the other Ommegang ales has a dry finish. It’s dryness and funkiness begat the name of Ommegeddon-for the time when the forces of light and dark battle for world dominion. It’s time for you to pick your side.
----
END QUOTE

I was fortunate enough to pick up a bottle at BCTC. It is being distributed but only on a limited basis for now.

This beer is a style bender. It really doesn't fit with other American Wild Ales because it not all *that* sour. It is more authentically Belgian in Farmhouse Saison like Funkiness. Yes there is wild Brett and it is extremely unique but how to classify it is a problem.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous bright yellow gold color with a two finger fluffy head in my oversized snifter glass. It left a few spots of droopy lace and the head fades to a partial cap and solid white ring around the top. The carbonation slows but stays active throughout the duration of the beer with a constant bubble stream from the point at the bottom of my glass.

Smell: While smelling this beer I literally got a nose full snorted accidentally right up my nose. Ouch. It is that interesting I was trying to get quit close to it. Bready, old cheese, farmyard funk, horse blanket, a touch of lemon and honey with assorted fruits, Brett tartness and then more cheese bread funk.

Taste: It is not so sour at first. It is more farmhouse cheese and horse blanket funk. The sour creeps up on you though. It starts with a bready flavor and some yeast. Immediately I detect some cheese as well. There are some sweet attributes. A touch of honey and some fruits, a bit of bubble gum and vanilla, an earthy tone sets in with a few spices but not overwhelming (just a dash of pepper) and then the flavor transitions, while I swirl the beer on my tongue, to a tart citrus lemon like finish. The aftertaste is lip smackingly dry forcing rapid sips. The flavors in the aftertaste are terrific as well. It is tart but only lightly so and very hard to pinpoint. I keep coming back to cheese, but that is what it is bringing to mind. There is a dryness left on the cheeks and that is the first point that the abv is really revealed.

Mouthfeel: It is a medium body, that is exceptionally smooth and very crisp with a perfect level of dryness and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: The dry finish and the medium light body give this a very easy drinking feel. Each sip beckons the next and by the time I got through half my review I think I was partly drunk. It is a relatively large beer but boy oh boy does this stuff drink very easily. This is certainly a gem in the crown that Ommegang wares deservingly. Another stellar beer from a magnificent brewery.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Finally got to have a glass of this at Max's 72 Hr. Belgian Fest.

Appearance: hazy pale yellow in color with a one finger head that slowly falls. Light lacing develops during the session.

Smell: pepper and a general spiciness is bold and easy to pick up.

Taste: big pepper tones here, with yeast, lemon zest, honey, alcohol, and an overall earthiness that makes this pretty unique. Bold flavors are well balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Crisp from start to finish. The finish is a bit dry too. Long peppery aftertaste.

Drinkability: a wonderfully tasty beer that is pretty is to quaff. Great beer I wish I could see around more often.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pale cloudy yellow, small head, tiny bits of lacing.

S - Cloves, lillies, banana, hints of strawberries and pineapples.

T - Very complex, lots of bubblegum, coriander, a very faint funk. Aftertaste is a slight bitterness with a citrus undertone.

M - Smooth, carbonation is noticable, fairly refreshing, medium to thin body.

D - Damn good. An awesome saison, I wouldn't mind having this one again . . . if I can find it!

Photo of
3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap during the 2007 Max's 72 Hours of Belgium

Hazy, pale yellow in color, with a small off white head.

Aromas included citrus, Belgian barnyard, yeast/bread dough and apple.

Taste was quite sweet. Vanilla, apples, grapes. A bit of sour/tart in the finish, but quite mild. Just a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel was light to medium. Carbonation was medium + . Refreshing.

Hard to characterize. Some aspects of a saison, some of a trippel, and maybe a wild wheat. Enjoyable, but not something I would rush back to try again.

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap last night at Ommegang night at the Belgian Room/Hop Devil grill, NYC, poured very cloudy apricot, with a finely knit tiny bubble head, and leaving stringy tight webs of lacing. Nose was strongly of bubble gum, cotton candy and a slight barnyard funkyness. This a freshly fruity brew, with notes of melon, funky yeasty goodness and moderate brett sourness in the mid section and finish. Biting, crisping and drying hops also in the finish, wrap this one up. My kind of brew, fruity, musty, funky, yeasty, fresh and clearly complex...BelgianSaison/wit/triple lovers go get some of this ASAP and tell Ommegang to bottle large amounts....

3.18/5  rDev -18%

In short, I'd say this is a beer worth experiencing, though not one I'd necessarily seek out again.

It is quite an attractive brew, with a cloudy, lemony-yellow color, but unfortunately, it did not pour with much of a head (who knows, maybe the bartender was in a rush).

I enjoyed its wine-like aroma and strong, almost spicy flavor. Though my drinking companions disagreed, I found the hops flavor to dominate the aftertaste. I could also clearly detect the relatively high alcohol content. I must say, though, that I was disappointed that the flavors were not quite as complex as those in other saisons I've had.

I'm a big fan of Ommegang, and this one isn't the most drinkable of their brews, but it's definitely a fun one to try if you have a chance. (N.B., though this beer is categorized as retired, I found it at an Ommegang event in New York on August 23, 2006.)

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Can we say winner? Ommegangs new farmhouse, wild saison is a sight to behold, slightly cloudy pale golden with a thick cap of white froth topping it off like the top layer of a dairy queen blizzard. Head retention is nice as well. Aromas are all funky farmyard brett and some other wheaty yeasty notes as well. Hopping is light and just serves to give a bitter end and dryer spirtzy finish. Taste is funky as hell, sweet and sour almost, a good vs evil sort of story with the brett winning control, slowly but surely. A real brett bomb, this one is. Mouthfeel is sharp spritzy and dry at the end leading to a wonderful drinkability. Possibly the most "summery" tasting wild/farmhouse ale i've tasted as of yet. I can just imagine how much better this one will taste outdoors at their brewery! It's a real show stopper and I can't wait until it is brewed again and gets some wider distribution!

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Recently tried this one at the extreme beer fest. Had no idea ommegang was even attempting a wild beer. Bright yellow color, like a supped-up wit. Brett in the nose. On first taste it definetly had a wheat component, directly followed up with the classic sweaty horse that brett imparts. Not much if any sour/lactic flavors, with the brett playing starring role in the wild yeast department. If you are into beer's feral side than this is one to try(if you can get your hands on it, if you do, let me know where you found it). I believe the guy who poured it for me said it was around 8% abv, but you would never guess when you were drinking it. If i had to put some label as to category, it would fall into the experimental saison. I wonder if this is anything like they used to brew for farm hands?

« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »