Bière De Mars - Brewery Ommegang

Bière De MarsBière De Mars

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 07-17-2006)
phishbone23

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

01-23-2013 15:49:02 | More by phishbone23
wanker

1.6/5  rDev -58.5%

Let me start off by saying that Belgians are my favorite style, but I've never had a Biere de Garde or a beer fermented with Brette yeast.

That said, I've got to say that this may be my first drain pour. The predominant smell was strongly metallic. If you've ever been in a machine shop that cut metal you'd know what I meant. The metallic, copper and iron continued into the taste and was the predominant taste to me.

The only good thing I can say about this beer was that the appearance was a pleasant amber.

I may or may not fight through this .750 Ml bottle.

UPDATE:

Drain pour. I couldn't take it. Had to cleanse my palette with a Don de Dieu. Life's too short to suffer voluntarily. That's $13 down the drain - literally.

07-27-2010 22:47:25 | More by wanker

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

04-19-2012 03:33:38 | More by ejw127
nrbw23

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%

Found this dude in the beer fridge.

A- Pours a golden color with a pretty thin white head. Not too much lacing or retention.

S- Caramel malts, wood, yeast and a bit of funk.

T- Pale malts, yeasty, funk but no sour and a bit of metal.

M- Light in body and high amount of carbonation.

O- No thanks not really digging this one.

04-24-2011 22:54:23 | More by nrbw23
Beer21

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

02-29-2012 04:05:40 | More by Beer21
bigfnjoe

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a Hennepin tulip. Batch 2, October 2008.

A- first off, the bottle exploded after I removed the cage. Good start. The pour is a cloudy shade of dark orange, with a puffy two finger white head that fades into almost a mousse on top of the beer

S- nice citrus, a little funk. Not overwhelming. Eh

T- I mean...it really tastes like nothing. There is some citrus, but it's very, very mild. Slight funk as well. Sigh

M- paper thin

O- disappointing from the word go. This makes me very sad

07-24-2012 03:16:42 | More by bigfnjoe
ccrida

Oregon

2.65/5  rDev -31.3%

750ml (batch 2 - Oct 2008) poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip. Ommegang's Bière De Mars us a dull bronze with lazy streamers and a massive off-white head that leaves sheets of foamy lace. WOuld have been a 4.5 expect for the massive chunks of loose sediment that made it impossible to pour the last 1.5 inches of the bottle, and even being careful, getting some in the last glass.

Smell is soft, sweet citrus and tropical fruit, light dusty brett.

Taste is pretty bland. The brett has chewed through everything, without producing much funk, making this taste like tonic water. Swishing it around I can get a touch funk and slight alcohol character. I am not impressed.

Mouthfeel is bone dry, lots of soft carbonation, but the brett gives it an edge on the finish.

Drinkability is on the lower side, in that this basically has no taste and was very expensive. Disappointed to say the least, a definite miss by my book for Ommegang.

05-24-2009 00:52:47 | More by ccrida
UCLABrewN84

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Bottle pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy bone head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, toffee, and cardboard aromas. Taste is much the same with cardboard and honey flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of earthy bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that smells and especially tastes very oxidized and old.

08-26-2013 15:17:17 | More by UCLABrewN84
ambiguousfigures

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

07-20-2014 19:54:35 | More by ambiguousfigures
arboristfish

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

The color of this beer is a clear copper color, with a fizzy white head. The smell is interesting. Smell hints of spicy malt and fruity yeast. The taste is a little different. I notice they do use bretto in their beer. For me the sweet taste that should be there is quickly mellowed out by a slight sourness. Overall the body of the beer is a medium light, with a slighty fizzy carbonation. It is drinkable even though the flavor is bland.

11-22-2010 22:06:49 | More by arboristfish
Pencible

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%

This poured a hazy light copper with lots of chunky sediment and fluffy white head. It smelled like lemon hops and sour wild yeast and sea salt, with juniper and metallic copper and overripe oranges, and a bit of pine. It tasted like lemon and orange hops, with sour wild yeast and sea salt, and some metallic copper hops. It was slightly thick with lots of carbonation, and had a sour and bitter aftertaste. Overall this was good but not as unique or delicious as I was hoping. It had decent body but was overly carbonated, and the flavor wasn't great. Southampton's bière de garde was totally different and much preferred to this. Ommegang is a great brewery, but this beer lacked malt for balance and depth. Perhaps aging would help this?

03-05-2009 20:14:46 | More by Pencible
SubpoenaDeuces

2.88/5  rDev -25.4%

Ommegang Biere De Mars 6.5% American Wild Ale

A: Nice orange hues, with some amber tones at the edges, thick huge head that poured 3 fingers with little agitation, as all the Ommegang labels so irritatingly instruct

S: You get the wet dog, bandaid plastic sort of notes, with an underlying chardonnay dryness, some crisp granny smith apple

T: At first you get a decent sweetness, with some brett funk that has that vaporous quality of funk and plastic, it subsides into a very mild tartness. the tart hardly registers and it zips off into obscurity very quickly. If you approach this with dreams of temptation and consecration in your head, curb your desires at the door, the alternative brett additions were either done as an afterthought, or in excess.

M: The mouthfeel is thin and not exceptionally overbearing, this is this beer's best quality. Which is like having a really solid rhythm guitarist, you dont want support categories taking center stage. I fear this beer suffers from Petit Obscuritis where the anticipation from the bottle makes you expect more than can ever be delivered. It isn't bad, per se, but it is barely a sour. It is more an amber than anything else, to a non-beer drinker you would have to specifically note what makes it different. Some of the brett sweetness comes off as some kind of an adjunct, which is disheartening for the style

Narrative: "His resume was just so impressive, quadlingual, volunteer in Burma, summa cum laude from Vassar..." "Yeah summa cum garbage, he has the worst people skills I have ever seen, how is he going to sell anything? He's just so...abrasive." It wasn't Dan Mikelson's demeanor that was offputting, in fact he was attractive to the untrained person. He would even seem exotic and interesting, until he opened his mouth and began talking about Jimmy Johnson's points in the Nextel cup. Most customers would sigh and move lithely from the digital camera section until he followed them intentionally into the digital printers section, and continue to harangue them with tales of last years bocce ball tournament. "Look at that, that canadian couple just requested an item outright and he convinced them that they werent going to use it to its full potential, I dont care how attractive he is, you gotta fire this guy." "But sir...think about if someone get's hurt his resume says he is a registered RN and" "I dont care, his resume is a lie, he is a jerk and I want him OUT OF MY OFFICE DEPOT?! YOU HEAR ME?!"

05-19-2011 07:25:04 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
jnn4v

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

A: Hazy, chock-full-o sediment. Honestly, it's a bit revolting to me. But I know that the overall color (amber) and texture (lots of fine carbonation) appear to be fine, so I'll just slightly rate it below average.

S: Metallic, fruit, flowers. Maybe a hint of clove? Minor yeast scent. Juniper?

T: Bland is the first term that jumps to mind. Upon closer inspection, lemon, some bitterness, some clove. Maybe a bit of copper. Not much in the way of malt or sweetness to back this. Seems a bit unbalanced to me.

M: Fuzzy, thin and overall something that seems fitting for the genre but not particularly for my tastes.

03-05-2009 03:28:08 | More by jnn4v
beergod1

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

Well....I do love me some Ommegang. But seeing the ratings on here, I must have had a bad bottle. It poured a Hazy amber with a large diminishing beige head. Floral, slightly funky aroma, some apple, and tons of yeast. The bottle and huge flakes floating around, not "Particulates" or " specs". I smell more Brett than I taste it, it tastes a little like Watered down Vinegar. My friend that split this bottle with me didn't seem to think it was as bad as I did, but he also said he wouldn't buy it again. Maybe another day, and another rating?

10-28-2010 00:10:39 | More by beergod1

Brubaker

08-03-2012 19:06:39 | More by Brubaker
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

The beer was poured from the bottle into a fluted glass. Visually, the beer was a straw yellow color with a bubbley white head. The mild apple aroma was pleasant, though it did not overwhelm the senses. Upon the first taste, a bubbley sour apple flavor was noted. The flavor was mild and faded quickly. It reminded be of a flavored mineral water because of the vanishing fruit flavor. Overwhelmingly potent carbonation helped to sweep away much of the flavor. Because the flavor was mild to begin with, there is virtually no aftertaste. After drinking a few sips, the carbonation begins to build in the chest, giving the unfortunate urge to belch like a middle school student. With a more modest level of carbonation, this beer could have been more enjoyable.

04-07-2012 14:24:43 | More by JohnnyHopps
TimH

05-19-2012 18:14:15 | More by TimH
Infamous7100

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

I'll say this up front, I'm not a huge fan of the "funk" beers, so read this review with that in mind.
-Poured a redish/amber color with about a one finger head. Some sediment escaped and came to a rest at the bottom of my glass. Nice look.
-The smell is what got me. There is an uncanny similarity between the smell of this beer and the smell of the Scrubbing Bubbles toilet bowl drop ins. I am not kidding. Sweet malts, a whole lot of citrus and a bit of alcohol and blend together for a cacaphony of olfactory confusion.
-Just a little too much going on for me. A bit hoppy at one moment, sweet the next, then the tartness of fruit, then the crisp, dry finish. I'm enjoying the taste one second and find my mouth cloying the next.
-Funny thing is, after a few swigs, you get used to it. The funk plays well with the malty sweetness and the tartness of the fruit hides the alcohol quite well, yielding a complex, highly drinkable brew.
I love the Ommegang Brewery and their dedication to bringing high quality Belgian style beers here to the states, so I'm glad I tried this. Give it a shot, but I'll stick to the 3 Philos!

03-27-2009 02:46:42 | More by Infamous7100
MbpBugeye

3.05/5  rDev -21%

Appearance
Nothing too special in the looks department. It has a short, fizzy head that burns away quickly. The color is a vaguely cloudy amber yellow.

Aroma
Its very funky and quite nice. My nose isn't picking up anything that makes me think sour, but this is a Brett beer so the target is all funk. Lots of dry, woody, yeasty Brettiness. Farmhouse in the summer kinda stuff. There is also a strong aroma of cat piss or some sort of ammonia-heavy urine.

Taste
There in indeed a touch of tartness, which came almost as a surprise. Its a faint, quick shot of lemon, very far from full puckering. The dominate flavors are funky ones. Lots of wet hay and water logged wood.

Mouthfeel
Pretty dry and gritty with an overwhelmingly prickly carbonation. Its sharp to the point of being painful.

Overall
Quite meh. Heavy Bretted beers aren't usually anything amazing to me anyway.

04-17-2011 19:14:21 | More by MbpBugeye
schwaeh

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

Batch #3 November 2008 bottle

A: Pours a murky, hazy, darker orange. Plenty of carbonation floating up and dancing around on top.

S: Huge brett smell which drowns out a lot of other subtleties that might be in there. There is a slight past-prime fruit smell that reminds me of a certain flavor or baby food.

T: Again with the rotten fruit. Kind of an off-citrus flavor with some slight hints of grapefruit, banana, lemon, and squash. Plenty of horse blanket funk in the middle of the taste. Tastes like licking the back of plastic band aid after hand-squeezing citrus. The finish is sweet and funky with a little tingle from the carbonation.

M: Medium bodied with a full juicy mouthfeel. The high carbonation dances around in your mouth.

O: I'm glad I tried this one but I won't be mowing people down to grab another bottle. This is my first biere de garde with brett used so I wasn't sure what part it would play; The brett really takes the lead role in this beer.

06-22-2011 22:59:15 | More by schwaeh
harrymel

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Batch #2: bottled October 2008
Yeast: Brettanomyces

I bought this beer with the intention of better helping me understand Brettanomyces. Here we go:

A: KAPOW! Cork shot out of this bottle with anger and vengeance! I immediately looked to the bottle with anticipation of gush, gush, gush!!!...Nothing. huh. Anyway, pours a golden ale with obvious chill haze. Three finger peanut head dissipates over a few minutes to a single finger which will hang out for the duration. Thick lacing. Good looker.

S: Yum! Tart, funky nose with some really appealing caramel malt backgrounds. If this is exemplary of Brett, now I know. For some reason this reminds me of "it's alright" by Mikkeller.

T: Not tart. Nose does not fall into here. I'm starting to believe Brett offers the nose, but not the palate tart I seek. simple, pale malt backbone with metallic tones. Very hollow mid palate - almost watery.

M: Light body and high carbonation. The carbonation dies quickly in the mouth and falls down quickly in a hollow fashion. Very complex mouthfeel.

O: I think this beer was well crafted, and I think it solidifies my distaste for solely Brett beers. I love sours, but this beer isn't my cup of tea.

03-30-2011 11:52:34 | More by harrymel
beermanbrian

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Caged 750ml picked up on a recent trip to Cooperstown.

Nice bronze color with a big frothy white head. Drops to a nice cap. Lacing a little lacking.

Smell a little fruity with some muskyness. Kind of subdued. First taste was a burst of fruityness and gave me a champaigne kind of feel. After a few sips it becomes somewhat bland. A little fruityness and some sourness but the taste is subdued. Mouth is initially very bubbly but the carbonation drops off quickly. Overall this one is somewhat of a disapointment. Nothing bad or off about it but it just has no wow effect.

08-25-2009 00:50:26 | More by beermanbrian