Bière De Mars - Brewery Ommegang

Bière De MarsBière De Mars

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 07-17-2006)
3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

Served in a large wine glass. Pours a nice copper color with thick tan head. It bubbles the whole time, but the head quickly retreats with no lacing.

Aroma is dispassionately faint. There is some sourness and funkiness and a bit of maltiness in the background. Flavor is pleasant and smooth with nothing particular standing out. The brett funkiness is still there in the background along with some grass hop notes. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is high. Very drinkable. Much better than the only other brett beer I've had, ommegeddon.

mjaskula, Oct 21, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer I'm drinking now! My first review while actually drinking the beer at the same time. My friend turned me on to this strange beer. Honestly a true traditional beer style, although the term "Bière De Mars" seems to be a new "type" for me. I'm totally convinced that this could be a landmark in tasting beer for me. It has such a strange taste. I have tasted this funk in beer many times before but as this beer warms up it becomes insane with yeasty cow shit funk smell. I kinda like it. Every other reviews on this page does not address this matter nearly at all. I hear of mango, pear, apple, citrus and black pepper. I can sometimes taste these things. I really feel that the suspended Brett chunks reminds me of old apple cider vinegar with little tornadoes of nasty swirling around and around.

This beer is cool...rare vos is very similar just without the extra funk. At least try it once..it costs a lot but money is common and this not so much.

sociallooter, Oct 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

From a 750 into my wide snifter, split with roommate. A mild brown with orange highlights, this beer had a formidible head. It was followed with a tart, twangy aroma.

I enjoyed this beer. Enough funk to leave a tinge on the tongue but not nearly as heavy as you would think. This is a drinkable beer, with a boozy fruit (although not a strong ABV), nutmeg, and pumpkin? taste.

ShogoKawada, Oct 05, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Batch #2, October 2008, sampled September 2009. The bottle was corked and caged, and gave a loud "pop" when opened. The beer is dark copper color and clear with a fragile foam, composition being mainly large bubbles. An easy approximation of the smell: A touch of Orval but with less hops. The aroma of light barnyard funk, a little non-citrus fruit like apple and pear, other than that somewhat clean smelling (all of the afore-mentioned notes are not strong). The taste is likewise clean, some toasted malt and just a touch of fruit with a lingering light sour bite in the aftertaste. The body is light to moderate, very easy drinking, it matches the flavors (tasty but under-stated).

If I were to choose a sour or American Wild ale from Ommegang's lie-up I'd start with Ommegedon. Maybe after that I'd go for Ommegang Rouge, just more sour bite in both of those. Each beer was targeted after a different style of course, and in the case of Biere de Mars they apparently targeted a biere de garde (at least by name). So maybe they put their own fingerprint on the style with the Brettanomyces bruxellensis, and it's a good touch, but finally if it's sour I'm after I'm gonna choose Ommegedon.

TurdFurgison, Sep 26, 2009

750 mL bottle, into an Orval glass, Batch #2,

A: Pours a cloudy dark burnt orange with a fizzy finger and a half of head. Great head retenion, some yeasties.

S: Cherry and bubblegum esters hit first. Also musty barnyard oranges, yeast, earthy hops and soil.

T: Amber ale malt and candied oranges form the main flavour. Secondary notes of copper and grassy rustic hops. Brett isn't prevalent, but lends a musty undertone throughout the experience of drinking the beer.

M: Mouth-filling carbonation, had to coax some out to get at the full flavour. Creamy, medium-bodied.

D: Very drinkable, rustic provisional beer. Too bad it's $15 a bottle, but when I can get Hennepin or Rare Vos at half the price I don't think I'll ever have it again unless it's on-tap. Fun beer to try though.

Halcyondays, Sep 17, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A 750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. The beer was a hazy orange color with a thick white head. It had that slightly barnyard aroma, and also had a sweet, spicy aroma. Taste was mostly fruity, with some cinnamon and allspice. I thought it was a bit on the fizzy side, but still very enjoyable.

lordofthewiens, Sep 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

25.4oz bottle from Batch 1 that I acquired from a NY-based co-worker who was kind enough to have a few bottles shipped to him. From my understanding, this is Rare Vos dosed with Brett B.

A: A gorgeous hazy amber with a thick beige head that recedes slowly, leaving no lace.

S: Despite having plenty of time (17 months by my count) in the cellar, the Brett really hasn't caught on. Not necessarily a bad thing, since I love the Rare Vos, and it's got a lot of that - subtle citrus and tangerine fruitiness, mango, and papaya with a touch of black pepper. This really is a subtle beer, and as it warms up, the Brett comes out, with a delicate funk reminiscent of wet hay and barnyard. Delicate and gorgeous, though the opening fruitiness is strong. Spices are also present with nutmeg and clove

T: Opens up with a combination of a fruit salad (with citrus, tangerine, papaya and pineapple) and a definite Bretty character, with damp earth and wet hay. Spicy with nutmeg, mace and a little clove. In the end, the fruit character wins, and the beer finishes dry with a plethora of fruity and spicy character.

M: Light and airy with plenty of carbonation. The finish is great too, spicy and fruity in character.

D: This 750 is not a problem, thoroughly enjoyable

Notes: As big a fan of Brett as I am, I'm not seeing it do much in this beer. The base beer pretty much over-rides the Brett, and the extra $$ just doesn't seem worth it.

DefenCorps, Sep 08, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Batch #2 October 08

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this beer gives off an amber, coppery glow with lively carbonation swimming to the top. one finger of head sits on top of this brilliantly clear beer, but dissipates quickly.
It smells tart and crisp, and a little like piss, but in that good sort of brett way. There's a mild malty aroma behind the funk as well.
The flavor starts off much like ommegang's rare vos, with a clean malty backbone, but not cloying, as the carbonation helps cut through the medium body of this beer. The flavor hints at a sour brett beer in the finish, but then stops short. A very nice beer indeed, but if you're expecting a sour funk fest, I'd go somewhere else. Drinkability is good, but I could see the body getting cumbersome after a couple glasses. Overall, another excellent beer from Ommegang, though this one was pricey.
Well worth a try.

Finn, Sep 06, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Big-time pop by the cork. Cover your eyes and hide the valuables. Oct 08 bottle.

Split between two Unibroue tulip glasses. Full pour, no yeast per bottle recommendation.

Golden peach color with big foamy head the settles to 1/2 finger head.

Very unique and wonderful spicy aroma. Can't say I've picked up this much spice on any beer other than obvious holiday spiced beers.

Nice taste. Dry and spicy with a hint of fruit.

Aroma becomes more funky halfway through.

Very nice beer if your a fan of a touch of funk.

Yetiman420, Aug 29, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

2nd Batch from October 2008. Appearance: 750 poured in my duvel

Appearance: Large white head, quick dissipation but with a thick soapy lacing. Burnt orange in color. Usually I don't care if I get the yeast in my glass. But don't with this. Its thick and chunky and actually grosses me out. Be Careful pouring!

Smell: The first thing you get is a bit of that barnyard funk that is the Brett yeast used. Some may call it horseblanket others urine soaked something. Its a funky smell, barnyard describes it for me. Once you get beyond that you get a caramel malt and a fruity flowerly hopping.

Taste: Your first impressions are that odd barnyard taste but a bit less. Once you get over that you get malt tastes consisting of buttered biscuit & caramel. Hop tastes come through towards the end and present them selves floral and fruity. Mixed with the funk from the Brett it creates a sour green apple taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin and highly carbonated with a little bit of sourness from the Brett.

Drinkability: To me this beer is just Ommegang's Rare Vos but made with brett. It has all the fantastic characteristics of Rare Vos but with a bit funk of sourness. A nice beer if you're unfamiliar to Bret. At double the price of most Ommegang's 750s its not really worth it. Go with a flanders red or Orval. It is a bit filling though I struggled to finnish a 750.

MaxBrews, Aug 28, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Caged 750ml picked up on a recent trip to Cooperstown.

Nice bronze color with a big frothy white head. Drops to a nice cap. Lacing a little lacking.

Smell a little fruity with some muskyness. Kind of subdued. First taste was a burst of fruityness and gave me a champaigne kind of feel. After a few sips it becomes somewhat bland. A little fruityness and some sourness but the taste is subdued. Mouth is initially very bubbly but the carbonation drops off quickly. Overall this one is somewhat of a disapointment. Nothing bad or off about it but it just has no wow effect.

beermanbrian, Aug 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

After some late-morning yardwork, found this bottle lurking at the back of the fridge; watching the Mariners/Indians game. A caged/corked 750ml bottle (Batch #3, November 2008), poured to a 250ml 'La Chouffe' tulip.

A: Poured just shy of the line, earning a huge tuft (3 fingers at least) of dense creamy off-whiteness. Holds up pretty well, drops in a couple of minutes to a frothy meringue cap. Vigorous carbonation - tiny bubbles everywhere - cuts through a glowing 'toasted almond' orange. Almost clear, a few flecks of fallout at the bottom of the glass.

S: Mildly musty; grassy hay, dry autumn leaves, trace of sweet chewing gum, apple skins. A little mineral aroma, chalky/dry.

T: Mild green apples, dried grasses, hint of tart fruit (apricot maybe?). Honey comes later, a little flower/clove; black pepper, too, even black tea. Never very sweet, ends on a very 'Brett'-y note, a bit medicinal, exceedingly dry.

M: Super-crisp, carbonation/yeast combo brings cutting sharpness that's not 'acidic' whatsoever. Medium body, faint clinging coat.

D: Quite easy to drink, especially after a couple hours of raking/weeding/gutter cleaning/etc. 'Rustic' charm, smacks of the best of the Belgian/French 'farmhouse' styles...will definitely be revisiting this one again. 6.5% is fair, modest. Thank you (to the best of my recollection) Alan/BanditBrewingCo for sending this several months back.

On a side note, I recall the Portland BAs sharing a bottle of this a tasting held back in February. THAT bottle was stunning, perhaps the bast of anything we tried the entire afternoon...were I reviewing then, scores would have been even higher.

msubulldog25, Aug 23, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a tulip glass, according to Ommegang this is Batch#2 from october of 2008. Pours a dark orange color with a nice slightly off white head. That lingers for a little bit then disappears. The nose is full of apple orange and cloves, with notes of honey. Taste is certainly funky, I can taste ginger, some tea black tea flavors, that horse blanket flavor, and others that i cant quite figure out with little to no alcohol presence. This stuff could be from the Martian surface itself but in a very good way. Mouthfeel is nice and tingly with a semi dry finish. An easy drinker but it doesn't go down too fast, I found myself sitting and trying to figure out what I was tasting. I would recommend at least trying this one. Ommegang hasn't disappointed me yet and this one is no different I will be getting this one at least once more, and would like to pair it with some of the recommended food.

STEG, Aug 20, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

Pours a bright amber orange hue with a lively carbonated off white head, again amazing looking brew from Ommegang. It definitely looks like something brewed in Belgium, and this one happens to be one of my favorites a Belgian Pale with Brett added to the mix. Lacing is perfect fine even just adds to the visual appeal of this beer. As you add the final dregs of yeast into your glass it looks like a slurry of yeast particles suspended, with time they all settle back to the bottom of the chalice in this case a nice conical shaped flute from Allagash. Almost a brett milkshake sitting at the bottom of the glass, I believe the label encourages that we don't drink this but I can't resist. Gotta have my B vitamins.

Aromatics offer up some definite barnyard wild funk infused malts and hops, with malts that are mildly sweet offering up fresh baked biscuit layers and a touch of drizzled honey toast. Some weird tones come through with a touch of green apple hidden in band aids, not offensive rubber but definitely wild phenols from this yeast strain. Bottled back in October of 2008 as batch #2, I believe if fresher the hops would add more pungency, although I know they are there it's hard to pick them up in detail. Brettanomyces also takes some time to get funky and I believe this beer has achieved it's mission. If I had to throw a label on the hop character in the nose it would be a delicate herbal mint flow. Adding the last bits of yeast into the mix creates quite the artisan bread combination.

Flavors collide with slight caramel and biscuit malt combinations with peppery fruit spiced finish, clove, and funky barnyard tones, again green apple blends onto the palate from backyard. But anytime I get to compare a beer to the likes of Orval I feel blessed and this is one that has everything right from carbonation levels to pure complexity. Yet the beer is so easy to drain and doesn't kill too many brain sells with booze. As you reach near the end of the bottle you will notice a perfume like exotic accent on the whole flavor profile with more fresh baked bread yeast qualities, my last Ommegang brett experience was unbelievable as well and that would be Ommegedon. That was one of those O face beergasm brews when I first tried it while workin at Bocktown and going to the first Steel City Big Pour.

Mouthfeel has been effervescent fulfilling yet lighter bodied and substantially filling, really enjoyable to try an American Belgian style ale that isn't completely cloying for the most part alot of the dubbels and trippels that show up tend to be over attenuated with heavy residual sugars and sweetness. However this one finishes dry and spicy with a peppery kick to it.

Drinkability overall is excellent one of those challenging brews that add so much complexity and enjoyment to your everyday beer drinking experience, a got to anytime I see this anywhere. Excellent quality Belgian style pale ale, moderate alcohol makes for great session beer to be shared with friends or solo you be the judge.

WVbeergeek, Aug 17, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Well, this is my first American sour, I love it.
There is quite a bit of sediment in the bottle which is labeled batch #2 Oct. 2008.
Poured carefully into a large wine glass, even then a 2" head appears and hangs on till done (well thats not much of a measurement ,as after my first taste the end came pretty quick.)
Slightly hazy amber.
Smell is well, I have to use what I've read here, Funk? Earthy?
Not overpowering at all, in fact nice! Like a damp haystack?
I was expecting a lot worse, I am surprised.
Taste is an epiphany, Sour cherries come to mind, then some malt like a good lager, then hops kind of like a good pale ale.
Well I guess that's what everyone means by complex.
Wow, I can't wait to explore more of this, BRAVO!

mudbug, Aug 14, 2009

750 ml bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Batch #2 October 2008 6.5% ABV Serve at 50 Degrees F

A - The whole bottle is sadly populated with unsettled yeast sediment but still allows the bier to pour an almost clear brilliant honey golden amber shade. The two-and-a-half finger head is an off-white and loose behemoth refusing to leave. As the big bubbles pop they leave delicate and small lacing bits down the side of the glass.

S - A light funk of horse blanket comes over the low aroma. It's immediately followed by a very well balanced hop and malt combination. Part pale malt, part crystal or caramel giving it an underlying sweetness, it's well accented by the pungent hops. A crisp aroma of floral and herbal hops with a touch of pineapple. As the head went down the aroma became more present and funkier.

T - Pale malts and a touch of sweetness and toastiness are delicate on the tongune witha very light funk that is more pronounced on the nose. A slight lemony astringency is towards the finish that could be from the dry hopping possibly or from the age. The overall flavor is light and slightly one-dimensional. It lacks the broader depth that the aroma has but is still good.

M - Light bubbles dance on the tongue like fine champagne with out a crisp bite in the throat. It's a rather light-bodied bier that feels lagered and goes down smooth.

D - I may end up finishing this 750 by myself [I did] and I'm ok with that. It's good all around but doesn't present any outstanding features. Just a good bier. It probably should have been consumed in May or June. I think the age may have mellowed out some of what could have been the finer point to this bier.

BeerFMAndy, Aug 13, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Pours a light amber orange color with about a finger-width cream colored head. The effervesce makes the wild yeast dance.

S: Orange citrus is dominant when cool. As it warms the piney hops comes out. All the while there is a spiciness that I have come to expect from Ommegang beers.

T: The taste follows the aroma. Orange sweetness, spiciness, with the piney hops to finish.

M: Medium bodied, light to balanced carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. I've been drinking a 750ml bottle and not finding any reason to stop drinking it or not drink it again. Very enjoyable. And at 6.5% I can enjoy it all night long. A very pleasant find.

BobbyBeerman, Jul 31, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Batch #2, October 2008. Consumed on 07/29/09.

A- Poured into my Duvel tulip, this beer pours a clear orangish-gold color with a dense yet effervescent head of foam that settles to a thick cap over the beer, staying there for its duration. Each sip leaves behind a few spots of lacing.

S- Musty, funky layers of brett with the typical notes of peppery spice. There's a nice undercurrent of fleshy fruit and orange peel that gives the smell an enticing sweetness. A slightly "hot" note of ammonia shows up as the beer warms.

T- The funky notes are nicely understated amidst bright flavors of fruity malts and the expected peppery spiciness. The finish leaves a lingering taste of metallic yeast and sweet fruit.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with watery edges on the finish. Some light yet active carbonation moves graciously over the palate.

D- Highly drinkable. The flavor is light enough on the barnyard funk and has a delicious backing of fruity sweetness that adds some great complexity. The 6.5% makes this even more manageable.

Tdizzle, Jul 30, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Batch #2. 750ml corked bottle served in a Chimay chalice. Poured a reddish gold with a finger of white head. A bit of brett in the aroma along with some citrus and sugar. Light bodied, very refreshing. Dry with a spritzy mouthfeel. Lightly tart, could be a little more for my taste. Nothing substantial, but very drinkable. A training wheels Brett beer. Considering the price, I don't think I would buy it again.

homebrewhawk, Jul 26, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

A - 3.5
Hard pour produced 1.5" head. Ooops. Thick head had some lasting power. Some small sediment floating. I thought I was pretty careful. Orange red in color. 5 minutes later, head settle to thin layer.

S - 4.0
Sweet and sour. Just a touch of wood. Smells carbonated.

T - 4.0
Dry, very dry. A little sweet aftertaste. Very subtle flavor. Spices, but can't place anything specific.Mmmmm, wood/oak aftertaste. Delicious!

MF - 3.5
Not too carbonated and not extremely smooth. Plays well with the palate.

D - 4.5
Very drinkable. I drank a 750ml by myself. I enjoyed every sip. It wasn't extravagant and it wasn't a standout.

It was a great experience.

dqderrick, Jul 25, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1%

Cloudy orange-amber with yeast particles floating around. Aroma of citrus, lemon zest, and a bit of funk. Taste is zesty, citrus, slight funky undertones, peach tart in the center. Light bodied and crisp with medium carb. A crisp, fruity brew that goes perfectly on a summer day.

JRed, Jul 20, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

750 ml bottle that corked and caged. On this bottle is a large black with white trim label that has the red planet orbiting in space with a gold "Biere De Mars" revolving around it. Below Mars is where they tell you it's refermented with Brett yeast and that it has an ABV of 6.5%. Off to the left is a picture of their year round brews in 750 ml bottles, the Government warning, and a description of the brewery itself. Off to the right side is where you can find a description of the beer, a saying written in gold letters, and a picture of the brewery. On the tiny neck label is where you'll find the batch number and a brewed month and year. My bottle was from Batch #2 and brewed in October 2008.

Appearance: For some odd reason I didn't want to pour this beer into any exotic glassware, so I just poured this beer into my small Great Lakes Christmas Ale Snifter. "Biere De Mars" wasn't as red as the red planet, but more of a hazy golden orange with a tiny tint of amber mixed in. It's hazy because of the massive amount of Brett yeast particles floating around in this beer. I fully doubt that the particles are actually hops. Don't ask how I can tell. When this sweet liquid touched the glass, up rises a huge creamy head of white foam. This huge head of foam had good retention that left behind a small string of white rings and if you're lucky enough to catch it, a single spot of white lace. It had a great color to it, but the head of foam receded a little too fast.

Smell: This beer has a nice lightly sour "down on the farm" aroma to it. That means you get that heavy hay scent to it. If you've ever had a Brett beer before then you know what I'm talking about. Behind the farmyard aroma was a gentle touch of sour cherry, cedar, and a whiff of bubblegum. Basically, if Bazooka Joe was ever sent to live down on the farm that was surrounded by a small cedar forest, then this is the beer that shows you what that adventure would smell like.

Taste: The very first thing I noticed about the taste was the level of dryness that this beer had. I thought the dry of this beer was set pretty high. It wasn't dry like the salt flats. I guess you could say that it was dry as a dry martini. The first taste that I received was that of some moderately sour Brett yeast and it's farmyard brother. Following that taste of funky yeast was a hint of cedar and a touch of bubblegum. The Brett yeast was flexing its muscle and it showed in the taste.

Mouthfeel: This Ommegang beer was a light to medium bodied of beer with a good level of carbonation and lightly sour/dry aftertaste of more of that farmyard funkyness and a speck of bubblegum. I hope you don't get too attached to the aftertaste because it will not last long.

Drinkability: Ommegang makes some great beers and this beer is somewhere in the middle of their line up. If you're a fan of Ommegang beers or if you would like to start out in the Brett yeast beer world, then you might want to buy a bottle of this beer. As for me, I don't think I would turn down a bottle if this was offered to me.

AltBock, Jul 18, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A year old cellaring of the original bottling.

A burnt orange with an off white head. A bit of lacing

Smell is fruity with a light sweet malt breadiness. A Belgian funkiness from the yeasts gives a twist to the nose.

Taste is Belgian amber, rich in malt with a heavy fruitiness. The brett gives a strong souring and a heavy metallic aftertaste that I feel detracts from what think would be an outstanding beer.

Feel is light and finely carbonated. A real joy to the mouth. Refreshing.

Drinkability is excellent in spite of the aftertaste. I will review a fresh on in case this one does not age well.

scootny, Jul 13, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Poured out a clear, orange-amber color with a bubbly, foamy, three-finger head that left some lace. It had quite a bit of yeast sediment floating in the bottle of the bottle.

S - It smelled very fruity and somewhat funky. It really had a sweet nose.

T - It tasted fruity, like apples, pears and some cherry. It had a caramel malt backbone.

M - It was soft and smooth. A medium to full-bodied ale.

D - This is a pretty good belgian-style ale. However, it did not leave me wanting to go buy another.

zeff80, Jul 06, 2009

750ml

Batch #1
April 2008

This has been sitting in the cellar for awhile now thanks to the ever generous Dyan, way to hook it up buddy! A two finger, creamy beige head sits atop the sunset orange body. The head took barely any persuasion to stand tall and slowly fell to a thick cap with a collar that leaves behind plenty of peaked and valleyed lacing. When backlit the body shows off more polished copper hues but when sitting on the table shows the shifting orange of a sunset.

It seems to me the brett Ommegang dosed these bottles with is starting to take make its presence known. Deep whiffs bring along gobs of mustiness and a mild horsey funk. Wildflowers and sweet peach in small quantities also come to mind rather quickly. A mild but bright caramel malty base lays down the foundation while a spicy; white pepper character comes along through the mustiness. This one sports dried fruits and soft spices I can't put my finger on but thoroughly enjoy.

The flavor follows the nose stride for stride. A good deal of soft spices leads the way over the tongue with white pepper being most noticeable and dried apricots follow. A soft caramel base gives way to the musty brett notes and a handful of dusty wildflowers. This is a superbly balanced brew between the maltiness, spiciness, and mustiness. It's all around subtle and enjoyable.

The body leans toward the lighter side of moderate with a noticeable but soft carbonation that pushes things through at a steady pace. A refreshing prickliness gets left behind after each swallow. The spices linger on the finish along with a mild sweetness.

The abv and lighter body make this an easy beer to put away. The spicing makes it a sipper but one I could sip away at for a majority of the day.

I had my eye on this beer since I first heard about it. I've always had a soft spot for Rare Vos and the brett version seemed right up my alley. It turned out to be an excellent beer. Thanks for the bottle, Dyan!

joe1510, Jun 28, 2009