Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,008 | Hads: 6,018

I was pissed off how much I paid for it. I'm a cheap batard. But oh my! It hasn't been this good since I was in Brugge. Their making this in New York! Lordy, we might find some monks out of work!

I have a question. This may sound dumb but it's just a little confusing to me. Well....first of all, I love this beer. One of my favorites. Anyway, when I'm rating a beer.....let's say the color......is the "color" rating based on how light or dark it is? Or is it based on how pretty or ugly it is? With the smell, is it how good or bad it smells? Or how potent or non potent it smells? Do these questions make sense or am I just a stupid dummy? Pardon my ratings......again, I don't know what they mean. I'll change them once I know.

This is my current favorite beer. I have not had a better beer in my 30 years of life. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! I welcome a challenger. But as of my 100 or so beers, this is my go to deliciousness. It's strong but not too alcohol tasting, it's fruity and dark. Just everything I've dreamed of a beer. Why is this not replacing water?

2007, 1 pt 9.4 oz bottle reviewed.

OK. I really didn't want to rate a beer all "5.0" as I understand that this should be really rare. However, honestly, there is nothing wrong with this beer. It is an excellent brew and all people that like Belgian beer should give this beer brewed over 3000 miles form Belgian a try. It has a nice dark color, pours nicely, smells good, and has a taste to die for. Unlike other Belgians I have enjoyed, this also has a great drinkability (sometimes I enjoy my initial tastes of a Belgian and i grows old half way through - but not this one). I don't see how anyone who likes Belgian Ales wouldn't enjoy this brew. Maybe they won;t give it as high praise as I do, but I can't see them not enjoying it.

The beer has a red & brown tint to it. Pours with a medium head that looks great and incredibly rich.

The smell on this is amazing. Smells like a true Belgian ale with a hint of cherry.

Has a sweet and a bit heavy taste. Difficult to taste the 9.8% alcohol, but I can definitely feel it.

Mouthfeel was a bit thicker than I expected and foams up quick when swooshing around, but has a nice soft texture to it.

Drinkability is exceptional. I could easily stick with this the whole night.

Poured from a 3-Liter bottle (wax-sealed and corked) into a clear pub glass. I received this as a Christmas gift, and the presentation was nice. I opened it for New Year's Eve to share with my family.

Appearance: Pours a deep, beautiful red with a fluffy white head. The warmer the beer, the better the head is retained. Lacing stains the edges of the glass, and will not let go. The glow of this beer when held up to a light is a sight to behold. Truly a wonderful looking brew.

Smell: A nice malty smell intermixed with grains (particularly a sweet wheaty aroma). This reminds me of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel, but even better in the smell department. The smell is quite present, and easy to detect, and delightful. You cannot smell the alcohol. All around one of the best beers I've smelled.

Taste: This is some great stuff. Very complex, and it would be tough to list all the different flavors I experience. There is the wheaty taste, which is followed up with an almost chocolately sweetness. The finish is crisp and smooth. I even detect some citrus style flavors in here from time to time. This beer also goes great with food. Pair it with cheese and crackers, or spicy food. Very versatile.

Mouthfeel: It has a good weight to it, and the carbonation balance is just right. Like a proper ale, it is thicker than most lagers, but not on the degree of a stout. It really caresses the tongue, and is incredibly smooth.

Drinkability: I needed to check the bottle again to remind myself that the ABV is almost 10%. You can't taste the alcohol at all! This is a sipping beer, but if you respect it, it can last you the entire evening, along with a nice meal. You'll probably reach for more afterwards, as I did.

I can't recommend this enough. Definitely one of my favorite beers, and probably the best I've reviewed thus far. For complexity and versatility, you can't beat this.

This is a great Quad for an American Brewery, it's up to the standards of any Belgian ale but with a little bit of uniqueness of American style. Ive tried the sampler which as three different years with the oldest being the 2010 if I remember right. Saving that for a special occasion!

Such an enjoyable beer, I don't know what they put in there, aside from grain and alcohol, but something about it is like dark chocolate and cream and raspberries and everything that's meant to be good about a dark, aperitif beer.

Smell is one of the most pleasing of any beer I have had. Chocolate, cherry, soy sauce, smoke, coffee, brown sugar, fruit esters, alchohol, and more. Taste had very similar aspects as the smell. It was sweeter than the smell hinted at but not too sweet. Nice bitterness. Very delicious. Finish is long lasting and bitter.

Appearance: Carmine/bole body with a pearl/eggshell head.

Aroma: Persimmons, plums, blackcurrants, cherries, grapes, and a slight orange 'musk' with notes of spicy, herbal yeast.

Taste: All of the fruits in the aroma, but with a 'burnt' characteristic - all with the classic alcohol presence of a Quad.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, bold, flavorful; classic Quadrupel.

Overall: My first from Brewery Ommegang, and it did not disappoint whatsoever. I highly recommend 'Three Philosophers' for those who are already fans of Quads and for those who would like to get into Quads. Cheers!

Wow. This is a truely a crazy and unique brew. Nice presentation, cool ass bottle. This pours a gorgeous cloudy brown/ruby hue with a beige/brown creamy 1 inch head. The lacing is nice and sporadic. The smell is a combination of all sorta of amazing things with a sweet maltiness. Cherries, chocolate and apples(and maybe orange) were detected. In the begining I sort of felt attacked by the alcohol, the warmth actually hit me right there at the begining but as you experience it you are enveloped in amazingness. The cherry flavor seemed to fade into an excellent balance with the other flavors. The mouthfeel is moderate with a light carbonation that results in a really smooth ride. This is so damn tasty and complex (yet at the same time so drinkable and smooth) that my review does not do it justice, read the others. After you spend 2 or 3 minutes with this the drinkablility increases greatly. The alcohol is hidden very well. A real treat.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle. Left a one finger head that was colored like espresso foam, that is, it was a biege-brown foam that receded after a while into surface skim that lingered until the end. Not really much in way of lacing. The body was deepest brown, maybe deepest maroon, almost black. Can see through it though, if you hold it up to the light.

Aroma - sweet candied fruit, chocolate, and phenols upfront, some bready malt, some caramelly malt even, in the middle and both some ester and alcohol solvency at the end.

Taste - exactly as nose indicates. Sweet dried and candied fruits ( think dates, plums, raisins ) Add to that a rich hearty sweet bread containing all those dried, candied fruits. The finish is of phenols and the tinyest hint of the high abv of almost 10%. No hop flavor to speak of. Aftertaste of raisiny, date-y, sweet rolls with a little hint of lemon ( there's the hops after all; maybe? ), and yet more of this taste if you lick your lips. Leaves you sweet and dry at the same time, with no bitterness at all, or parching dryness either, nor any kind of cloying sweetness at all. That hint of the alcohol from the high abv I mentioned?, well you kind of have to look for it, or just be aware that it's there to really taste it at all, which I think is always an excellent thing in a beer. Just well balanced deliciously rich ( but not nauseatingly so ) sweet malts and candied, dried fruits.This is excellent beer.

Mouthfeel - very full, moderately chewy, with very little carbonation. Slight hop oil coating. Finishes very dry, but not parchingly so, but does leave your mouth watering for the next sip.

Drinkablity - this goes down very easy, and is delicious! High abv limits it to one 750ml ( or two 12 oz.'ers ) per sitting. I was going to ding it a half point on this trait, but I just can't - it gets the full 5 -just excersize due diligence and repsonsilblity, you'll be wasted in no time flat after two 750's without seeing it coming because this excellent ale completely hides, and I mean completely hides, the potency of its high abv.

Simply one of the best beers I've ever had. This creamy, smooth flavorful Quadrupel from Ommegang comes in a 25.4 oz. as part of a pack that included Rare Vos and Hennepin, as well as a complementary 12 oz. Ommegang glass. What a delight. It pours a beautiful, rich, three-fingered head with a cloudy reddish amber body--gorgeous. The aroma is a melange of fruit and spice, mainly cherry and a hint of cinnamon. The taste is an excellent balance of the fruitiness of a Quadrupel, with modest spiciness. There is a slightly roasted flavor to it as well, yet nothing overbearing. Cherry is prominent, as is orange, and the fruit blends expertly with a modest amount of pepper. Its creamy texture makes for an easy beer to consume, though its high ABV (9.8%) is something of which to be mindful.

With Ommegang, this is my favorite product from the Cooperstown-based brewery. It does not disappoint, packs a smooth punch, and is right at the top of domestic Belgian-style beers. It's also great for sharing and sampling, and easy to make converts to it. Nearly perfect, in my humble opinion.

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

An outstanding quadrupel that's on par with the best beers from Belgium. It pours a dark reddish brown with a dark and cloudy body. The head builds up to a thick pale tan head that bubbles down to a thinner layer that just covers the body. An inviting aroma of sweet dark cherries, caramel, malts and alcohol leads you to the first sip. Sweet dried cherries mixes with caramel and chocolaty malts, sour cherries, plum and raisins. All of these flavors are surrounded by a warming alcohol that fades off slowly with some bitter notes into the finish. The palate is full bodied, smooth and a little sticky. Overall an extraordinary beer that only gets better and more complex with age.

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Nose of cherries right up front with bananas, toffee, clove, cinnamon and some yeasty characteristics. There's also some dark and dried fruits i.e. plums, currants, raisins and some walnuts buried in there too. The taste is malty toffee and caramel and strong cherries, almost a chocolate covered
cherry flavor. There are notes of tart cherry, raisins, grape, clove, cinnamon, hints of ginger. Some threads of banana bread. There's a lot going on here. I don't know why I never tried this in the past. This is a fantastic Belgian-style ale. Its a blend of a Quadrupel and a classic Kriek. I'm getting some more in the future for sure, especially for only $6.49.

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Murky, light brown with red wine highlights that are glowing. Decent, carbonated shoe brown head that clings for it’s life. Oily slick and ohhh sooo smooth and delicate. Bordering on full bodied, and full of flavors; black cherries, roasted malts, coffee and chocolate are all noted in the initial sips. A near sweet and sour palate, tingly warming affect; hints of oak, raisins, figs and hazelnuts. As it warms, yeast and spicy qualities emerge, cotton candy, slightly acidic. Black licorise palate, very clean and satisfying. Tons and tons of flavorings; very tasty and ohhh sooo smooth, worthy of a Top-10 appearance in my book! Superior!

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a hazy deep crimson with modest head that dissipates quickly.

Malt and cherries to the nose.

Taste is complex, seems every taste brings a little something different out. All smooth, initial taste brings plums, raisins and dates to mind. Subsequent tastes show more of the malt and cherry. The cherry never is overpowering.

Fairly full-bodied and well carbonated, a marvelous brew.

So drinkable, the alcohol is well hidden; except for the buzz. One 750ml and I'm not driving a firetruck anywhere. Opened this now to celebrate being packed and ready for a cruise. Sailing tomorrow for Key West and points south.

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

The Ommegang Three Philosophers pour into a chalice a somewhat foggy dark-tea, with a thich, two-finger head.

The aroma is sweet, sweet malts ... some alcohol, (some grass possibly?)

The taste is an amazing combination of licorice, and roasted, sweet malts, cherry, (banana, I think) and a warming alcohol finish ... wow!

The mouthfeel is very effervescent ... just a terrific dryness to compliment those sweet malts alluded to above.

This quad is dangerously drinkable; hands down my fave quad. Other quads have been too heavy, too much of a synthetic taste, etc. This brew is none of that!

It IS what you are looking for in a quad. It is why we drink craft beer. It is the product of artisans of the brew ... absolutely, friggin' delicious!

Three WISE Philosophers, indeed.

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Three Philosophers chalice.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark mahogany that almost looks like a cola, with hints of red speckled throughout. Held up to the light, more red highlights come through (due to the addition of Kriek Lambic?). Freshly poured, the beer had a finger of a tan head that dissipated into a lacy halo of foam settled up against the glass.

Aroma: Strong aromas of cherries, dark bread, and chocolate are what I first get, followed by caramel, plums, and figs. Very rich, very pleasant.

Taste: Cherry and plum, followed by dark bread, a little brown sugar and caramel, some earthiness and just a touch of dark chocolate. The slight tartness of the cherries intermingle well with sweetness of the brown sugar and caramel, and then are balanced nicely with some slight bitterness of the dark chocolate. While not a traditional quad, the addition of Kriek really gives the beer an extra depth of flavor and makes it stand out among the typical quad. This is a really delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with just enough carbonation so as to leave the palate clean, and just the slightest amount of alcohol warmth in the finish.

Overall: I loved this beer. It’s become my favorite American Quad, as well as one of my favorite beers period. Simply outstanding!

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Ommegang Three Philosophers has a thin, fizzy, beige, root beer-style head, a brilliant, orange-brown appearance, lots of tight bubble streams, and a thin lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is of sweet, rich, brown bread, strong fruit aroma (such as fig or date), sugar, and caramel. Taste is of all those elements, with nougat, brandy wine, and some hop bitterness. Cherry flavor is present, but it is quite subdued. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly (from the carbonation), and Ommegang Three Philosophers finishes mostly dry, sweet, rich, and enjoyable. This is a outstanding sipper, and I highly recommend it.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Three Philosophers is a blended brew. It is 98% a Belgian style abbey ale but kick ass strong. Considered a Quadruple in their measuring standards it boasts a huge 9.8% ABV. The other 2% is a Cherry Iambic. What you end up with is a very smooth highly drinkable, and decadent brew.

The Cherries do not overpower the beer at all, but enhance and blend with the natural fruit like flavor of the abbey ale. Although the alcohol content is very high you do not get a strong "booze" or alcohol after taste like Rob and I have found in some of these very high ABV beers. (Yes Brooklyn, I am looking at you...)

The complexity and flavors remind me a bit of port wine, and no doubt this would make a great after dinner beer or a good compliment to a dinner with strong flavors, but I would not reserve it just for that. I would not call it a light beer by any means, and I would probably not reach for it on a hot day, but... I'd also say this is drinkable year round.

All in all it may be the best craft brew I have ever had. I love this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

This beer may be my favorite quad i ever had. I have had several bottles since my first one, and they have such a smooth hint of cherry on the back end with no boozy taste that can be found in other quads. As the beer warms the flavors really start to open up. It poured amber colored into a belgian tulip with a nice two finger head. First sip and i knew i was hooked.

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

My god, simply my god. On to the review...

Poured a kind of deep red, almost wine like in it's appearance, except for the big gorgeous foamy head that adorned the top of my chalice.

Smelled of dark malts and cherries.

Three philosophers is a beer to ponder. Deep, complex, round and wonderful. Starts with initially sweet dark chocolate, cofee, cloves, and orange. The coffee and chocolate quickly turn to a more roasted bitter flavor. Shortly after the sweet and swourness of the cherries comes in. Spicy sour and sweet, the cherries round out the beer as at passes down your gullet. It leaves a warming as it goes down, and the aftertaste is of french roast coffee, slightly bitter. Simply wonderful.

A beer that feels round, and full in the mouth. Carbonation is just right, keeping it from being too chewy.

So flavorful I'm not sure how much of this my taste buds could take. It hides the alchohol amazingly well though.

Just amazing beer, if you can find it pick it up.

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

This is the brew that started my appreciation for beer. I can't remember what I poured it into. All I remember is that this particular brew tasted great. I was fascinated by the thick foam and aroma, as I gazed upon it. And the taste was unlike any beer I have ever had.

Cracked opened a 12oz bottle today, a 2012. 9.8 abv

A: reddish amber with a nice off white head that is still lingering. Can't see through the glass.

S: Massive fruity notes especially cherries, I'm getting some notes of raisins, plums, figs, and grapefruit. also getting some caramel aroma. The aroma is amazing!!!! it has that gunk dirty aroma that you need in a Belgian style quad.... and Ommegang hit it spot.

T: Cherry, caramel, and toffee goodness. It is nicely balanced and all the flavors mellow out. It has a hint of butterscotch (just a bit not over powering). The drink-ability on this beer is amazing. at 9.8% abv. It is hard to tell. The cherry is truly bold and great.

M: feels cleansed, zesty, refreshed. It a bit tangy from the mild bitterness, but over all a great feeling

O: Where I am you can usually get a 4pack for around $15 or a bomber for around $10.99. So is it worth it? Yes. this is one of the best sipping beers you will find.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang