Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
brianandpiper

Nebraska

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a bottle into a wide mouth wine glass

A: Medium red in color. Sediments make it look cloudy. One finger head that settles quickly leaving little lacing.

S: Very sweet smelling. Cherries and plums.

T: It is alright. Nothing special for a quad. Seems to have light carbonation, could stand more. Bitter sweet and tangy up front which fades to a more bitter finish.

M: Medium body. Tingles the mouth. A bit lacking.

D: The slighty sour and bitter finish makes it more difficult to enjoy for me. It just tastes like a belgian that has been infused.

02-05-2011 20:36:50 | More by brianandpiper
crayolahalls

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served a pint bottle to self pour at Winking Lizard in Akron, Ohio. Had this with a spicy chicken sandwich and fries.

Appearance: Light brown. Like a glass of coke with ice after the ice melts. Very obvious carbonation in glass. Nice to look at.

Smell - Somewhat masked. A nice richness, but I did not let it develop well or take notes.

Taste - This is the first that I have had of the style. I like it a lot, but have a hard time finding something to compare it to. The flavor was complex and I look forward to sipping more to develop a better feel for it. Despite its lighter brown color, I found it to be complicated (a bias I should learn to get over).

Mouthfeel - This hit the spot. I liked the thickness and abundant carbonation. Left a clean feeling in my mouth.

Drinkability - Not a summertime slamming beer, but perfect for a meal with strong flavors or a night of relaxing with brews and heady conversation.

*** Edit on 2/18/11 (original 2/2/11): Had a couple more of these and I am even more impressed than originally. I am bumping my smell and taste reviews from 4.0 to 4.5 and my drinkability to 5.0. This is definitely going to be one of my favorites. I was actually saddened when I got the bottom of my last glass. Maybe a trip to the NY brewery is in order?

02-02-2011 05:18:50 | More by crayolahalls
jdb8507

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

An overall good beer. Cherry on the nose, dry finish, but great drinkability. A mild beer overall, but the more you think about it the more complex it seems. I could drink a lot of this, although I prefer more of an IPA myself. I purchased a growler on a whim, and do not regret my decision.

Serving type: growler

02-02-2011 02:48:14 | More by jdb8507
WildTurkey

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

2011 bottle. Dark ruby color; clear. Thick tan head. Smells like toasted bread, yeast, sweet fruit, and a little bit of the cherry. Taste is very malty. Caramel, and yeast. Some fig and raisin. The fruit flavor is a cross between cherry and apple cider, a little bitterness but also pretty sweet. Some of the alcohol comes through as also. Big body; kind of sticky. Very nice drink.

01-30-2011 01:12:28 | More by WildTurkey
MattyV

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -1%

2010 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip.
A: Ruddy dark amber/brown colour with a quickly disappearing off-white head that leaves bits of lacing.
S: Very interesting-- there's the presence of dark fruit and Belgian yeast that is sort of shrouded with tart/sweet cherry that is slightly medicinal and boozy, but altogether very complex and unique.
T: Not as fruity as the nose suggests, but rather a mix of roasted malt and dark fruit and first, and then some fruitiness leading to a dry/tart finish. The cherry flavours still come across as a bit cough-syrup like, but still rather enjoyable. Alcohol apparent, but not over-the-top.
M: Slightly tart aftertaste that may be due to the lambic component. Medium-bodied and nice prickly carbonation.
D: While I loved the layers of complexity that the cherry added, I think that this beer would improve dramatically with a bit of age on it. I think that the sometimes harsh/medicinal cherry notes will round out a bit and push this beer to greatness.

01-29-2011 06:04:28 | More by MattyV
Brabander

Netherlands

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

I got three bottles in the last two months of this Belgium styled Quad. Bottle from 2010.

Poured in two little Westvleteren glasses, one for me and one for my buddy.

A very nice dark beer with a lightbrown head. Good smell and good carbonation. The taste is as goos as a Belgian quad, brave Ommegang.

Sweet taste with spices. To be honest i could not taste the cherries. One the many good qauds i have tasted untill now.

01-28-2011 10:33:29 | More by Brabander
CuriousMonk

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from 750ml bottle into heavy chalice glass. Pours a deep brown with garnet tints and a super tight beige head. Aroma is loaded with fruity esters that fill the room before the first sniffs even transpire. Plum, prune, dates, raisin, caramel, toasty sweet malt, molasses, brown sugar and light fruity notes that seem to proliferate with the accompanying of some mild alcoholic warming notes. Fruity esters that showed up in the aroma make a similar impression in terms of the light fruit flavor profile. Dark fruits, however, take the day with nearly every facet making its respective way in the swirling dark sugar torrent that is so prevalent. Dark syrup like sugars are complemented nicely by a wholly evident alcohol note that warms the nasals but doesn't detract from the experience. Palate is effervescent with lots of bubbly prickling amongst a high viscosity torrent. Mouthfeel is thick and quite rich- even chewy with warming booze and an ever so slight roasty dryness. This is only very subtle, though, for the overall theme of the finish strays away from attenuation and presents itself with a sticky smacking fullness. I was pleasantly surprised by this American example of a style that American brewers rarely edge out the Belgians in...

01-28-2011 04:43:00 | More by CuriousMonk
RossCain

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet

A: Pours a slightly dark, opaque amber/garnet hue with about 1" of a frothy, cappuccino colored head. The head features tight lacing with tiny foamy bubbles abound which cling to the side of the glass. The head settles into about a quarter inch cap after a while which simply persist for the entire duration of the beer. Attractive presentation overall.

S: The beer has a strong throw which even from arms length you can pick up right away on the phenolic smell of bananas with a certain mild clove spice tossed in the mix. Closer in, there is a (very) subtle undertone of tart cherries and thick, bready malts with a kiss of sweetness in the finish of the aroma. A tad too phenolic upfront, though, in my opinion which was actually reminiscent of Jack Daniels in the aroma.

T: A complex brew with dominant spicy and phenolic notes upfront which delicately blend into a thick concoction of flavors in the middle. Dashes of tart fruity notes from the cherry, sweet doughy notes from the malts, and touches of thick molasses and brown sugar topped upon toasted bread as the beer moves into the finish. Well blended flavor profile which really coats the palate upon the finish imparting a semi-sweet and slightly smokey aftertaste.

M: Thick, full bodied and chewy. Well done carbonation with a pleasing mouth feel with a good blend of warming alcohol in the back of the throat. The aftertaste could have been slightly better with a certain smokiness drying out the back of the throat for 5 to 10 seconds after sipping.

D: As mentioned, Three Philosophers is a complex, sippable brew that in my opinion was a good value for the money and fine example of a Belgian style quad. However, this one lacked just a tad in the drinkability due to the aftertaste; I'm glad I shared this bottle as it is unlikely I could have finished the full 750ml without going to another drink in between.

01-24-2011 18:06:23 | More by RossCain
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a deep red to burgundy color, fairly dark, not much light can be seen through it, but enough to see some sediment. a fair half inch of head results from the pour.

Smells of sweet cherries, some malts, and alcohol. that's about it.

As in the smell, there is a strong tart cherry taste with sweetness. spicy Belgian yeast flavors are tucked behind some malt, pungent cinnamon and booze. The dominant alcoholic- cherry flavor tastes medicinal and reminds me somewhat of cough syrup, it's a little too much.

medium bodied and highly carbonated and crisp.

I don't find this beer to be very drinkable. Honestly, it doesn't go down too easy for me, but it is more of a sipping beer to enjoy over the course of an hour. I bought a 4 pack and didn't drink the last beer until a month and a half later. A good beer to try, but I don't think I'll be buying it again.

01-23-2011 05:25:32 | More by wolfinthemirror
acehart1

4.1/5  rDev -1%

2010 vintage, sampled on Jan. 22, 2011

I really like this beer, but I wish they would ramp down the alcohol just a tad. The alcohol up front really dominates the beer, however. There are some sharp fruit flavors that is followed by a smoother caramel flavor. But I am still bothered by the almost overpowering booziness of the beer. Great stuff, nonetheless.

01-23-2011 02:26:14 | More by acehart1
kbutler1

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a murky mahagony reddish brown color with a tight light tan head. An interesting aroma; a mix between cherry fruit, grape, plum, slight smokiness, alcohol, caramel, and an almost bubblegum type note. Medium/light mouthfeel. Wow! This thing has quite the boozy punch. The booze really takes away from the other flavors for me but it still is pretty nice. Sharp fruit type flavors up front followed by a smooth caramel flavor. Some roast type notes as well. Hmm, it's flavorful but for me, as I said, the booziness sort of dominates this beer.

01-22-2011 01:46:28 | More by kbutler1
avaccani

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours a murky brown with deep shades of red under light. Extremely think 2 finger tan head that is creamy in the center. Leaves wonderful lacing along the glass.

S - Getting some candi sugar, plum, raison, perhaps some figs or dates. Also smelling some phenols from the yeast as well.

T - First on the tounge I am getting the yeast. Some phenols, but not overpowering. Next comes the cherry. It has a slight medicinal flavor. Could just be the warmth from the alcohol. It leaves a spicy note on the palate. Very enjoyable.

M - Carbonation is much lower than I anticipated. Light and creamy off the bat, but ends dry. Some cherry flavors remain on your tounge.

D - Outstanding beer. I enjoyed sipping on this one for about an hour. Really comes to life once it's warmed up a tad.

01-22-2011 01:26:21 | More by avaccani
psuKinger

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1/6 barrel keg downstairs in my kegerator poured into my Ommegang snifter glass. I've had this beer numerous times, and I know I like it a lot, but I've never gone through the formal "review process" with it, so I'm excited to see how this goes.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy reddish-brown with a thick 2 finger head on top. The bubbly head looks like pancake batter in the middle. Perfect.

The lacing clings to the glass with each sip I take.

S: Yeasty smells of dark fruits and candied sugars are of near-ideal amplitude here.

T: Sweet creamy flavors of candied sugars, figs, and prunes balance out subtly and perfectly. This beer starts warm with the candied sugars before the dark fruits rush in to say hello. It finishes with a nice balance of yeasty-flavors and a nice touch of sweet cherry syrupy flavors.

M: Light, creamy, and bubbly initially, but this beer finishes dry, with the sugars and the cherry syrup coating the tongue nicely.

D: High. Thoroughly enjoy this beer, and would gladly quaff it all evening long.

01-21-2011 19:12:26 | More by psuKinger
modernartblues

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Reviewed From Notes

Poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel Tulip

A: deep dark amber red, 2" head recedes leaving a substantial lacing....very pleasant

N: cherries, toffee, touch of funk and spices...not as complex as I would have thought, but interesting

T: cherries is the predominant note, but as the beer warms other tastes come to the forefront including a complex maltiness with raisins, plums, and figs all making appearances....the funk is not as strong as I would prefer, but this makes sense given the wild aspect of the beer is just 2%

M: light and smooth, this one feels very pleasant and light on the palate, the way I prefer my Belgian styled beers

D: good, not sure how I feel about repeat purchases, but may attempt ageing this one for comparison

Overall, I enjoyed this beer, but was not impressed as I thought I would be. I enjoyed Hennepin and Rare Vos more, but this is still a quality brew.

01-20-2011 17:09:23 | More by modernartblues
Sachsenfreude

Germany

appearance; dark, somewhat cloudy tawny color, remaineds me of tea. Light tan head with some so so retention and lacing. A little pillow of foam remains in the center as the carbonation constantly fizzes upward.

smell; upfront spicy hops and some dark fruity sweetness. I want to say cherry but that may be what I read on the bottle manipulating my mind. A bit of sour perhaps with a refreshing fermenting odor and yeast. Complex yet bland...

taste; I can definitely taste sour cherries upfront, much like the small black type that grow in my yard. That sourness fights with some fruity sweet flavors until it takes control and becomes a little bitter in the finish. Overall the flavors are just like the smell, complex yet bland. This beer teases me and makes me drink further as a good book pulls one into reading more than they plan. Yes the flavors are a little muted but in a good, curious way.

mouthfeel; very slick and a bit creamy with alcohol warmth. Some puckering and numbing effects of the alcohol remain in the mouth.

drinkability; one is enough for me, the mouthfeel can get annoying after 2 glasses. The alcohol, although well hidden, is to be respected.

A very good beer that I recommend, not the best of the style but an example to be revered, well done!

01-20-2011 05:51:35 | More by Sachsenfreude
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. 9.8% ABV, 2009, Serve at 50°F.

A - Hazy, murky brown pond water color with vibrant ruby highlights. Despite the color's somewhat shady appearance, this brew has a nice bone head with good retention and lace.

S - Dark Belgian candi sugar compliments the toasted caramel and chocolate malts. Dusty cocoa and dirt come through with a Belgian yeast strain trailing behind. Medicinal notes cloud the low cherry kriek aroma.

T - Tart Kriek hits upfront followed by an alcohol kick. The rest is a mix of sweet, dark candi sugar, cocoa-like dry malts, dirt, and Belgian yeast esters. Odd it's still so hot after it's age.

M - Tart and boozy hot across the tongue with a smoothness half way through. Good carbonation level to keep it from feeling overbearing. Warming finish to the medium-full-bodied beer.

D - Not only do I know I've positively reviewed this before (one of the first great beers I shared with my Dad before he passed) I remember it being much, much better than this time around. A little boozy and cloyingly sweet, the 12 oz bottle doesn't seem to have the same greatness the 750 does.

01-19-2011 13:17:48 | More by BeerFMAndy
VMWhelan

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 2010 12oz bottle into a Stella Artois chalice.

Poured a very deep amber with a nice tan 2 finger head. Excellent lacing on this one.

Nose is dominated by cherries and yeast, very fruity and very breadlike. Some alcohol in the nose as well.

Tastes very earthy, with some big malts and cherries and dark fruits. Compliments the smell very nicely. Picking up some toasted malt as well. A little bit of alcohol at first and some nice Beligian spicyness.

Mouthfeel was medium to full with high carbonation.

This is quite drinkable, despite the ABV. Should be sipped.

Overall this is a nice complex yet pleasant beer. Could see this one aging very well. Going to have to pick up another to set aside.

01-18-2011 21:16:22 | More by VMWhelan
JT2875

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Served in a Ommegang chalice which came part of a 3 bottle gift set.

A- Pours a deep brown and revealed an amber tone when held up to light. Wow a thick 3 finger head that settles very slowly but never goes away. Lacing is heavy.

S- Chocolate, dark malt, toffee, with a note of cherry and dark fruit.

T- Hint of chocolate and dark fruit with some tartness.

M- Oily at first then finishes dry, with a mild alcohol burn that warms the throat.

D- A great drink but I wished for more chocolate, coffe, toffee tones. All-in-all I will buy it again and age it. I think this beer will be awesome with some age behind it.

01-18-2011 21:03:43 | More by JT2875
beyah

Maine

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Belgian Beer bottle dated 2010.

Apearance: Poued into Chimay goblet Deep amber color, good head but it slowly goes away. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Malts up front, nice yeast , and a slight sour cherry smell.

Taste: Malty, a slight bret tartness, but not so much as to pucker up. Very nice balance there is a slight taste of bittering hops in the background.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation tingles a bit but this is but still smooth and creamy.

Drinkability: At first sip you think oh very interesting, and as it warms up in the glass it come to life, this is one really good beer. As it warms the it starts to become much more complex.

I'll have to pick up another to stash away for a year or two from now, it should improve with age.
Nice Job Ommegang!!!

Tasting notes from 1-11-11
On tap at Zenos in State College, PA

A - Dark amber with red glow. Small amount of cream coloured head

S - Yeast, raisins, dark fruit, brown sugar

T - Dark fruit, brown sugar, caramel, hop bitterness, strawberry, raspberry

M - Medium body, silky, smooth

D - A touch boozy but very drinkable for a quad.

01-17-2011 01:06:28 | More by TheSevenDuffs
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

Appearance: Straight pour into a tulip glass. The color is a hazy, dark, ruby/caramel color. Two fingers of slightly tanned head developed and dissipated slowly to leave a thin skim and ring around the edge. There is a little sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle.

Smell: Noticeable at first is the Belgian yeast, which is most prominent. Underneath are aromas of slightly roasted caramel, a little chocolate, and tart cherry, which is unfortunately reminiscent of cough syrup. There is also a little herbal spice (maybe clove?) and raspberry, too, but it is very faint and may have just been a part of my imagination. It is also a little on the boozy side; the alcohol definitely makes the nose hairs stand at attention.

Taste: Massive Belgian yeast character that shares the lead role with the cherry tartness, though it thankfully does not taste like cherry cough syrup because it is missing the cherry flavor; it is just a dark fruit tartness. I would much rather have a general tartness than full blown cough syrup, though. There is, however, a little bit of plum and clove spiciness. Flavors of chocolate and slightly roasted caramel are also present. Each sip leaves a hint of bitterness lingering on the cheeks, and the alcohol is very well hidden.

Drinkability: Very smooth drinking and tasty, and also very well crafted. However, I don't really see what the big deal is. It's a great beer, but on par with and similar to other Belgians I have tried.

01-16-2011 05:43:31 | More by TheQuietMan22
Burt

Rhode Island

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Served in a Ommegang chalice from a 2010 12 oz bottle

A. Brownish amber, with a thick head that settles but never goes away, left some this clumpy lacing. Had some yeast that never settled.

S. yeasty with that faint cherry cough syrupy smell

T. yeasty spiciness , a little sweetness, some tartness, dried fruit

M. slick at first then finishes dry, with a little burn

D. for a beer that is almost 10% it goes down nice and smooth with very little alcohol burn

01-12-2011 22:46:30 | More by Burt
speter

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a deep chocolaty brown with a large fluffy tan head that leaves impressive lacing.

S: Roast malts, chocolate and tart cherries, with just a slight whiff of funk.

T: An amazingly complex brew. The front has a simultaneous hit of sweet chocolate *and* tart cherry. The whole thing dries out in the center, with the roasty notes of the barley coming to the fore, and the finish is dry and toasty with the light funk following up in the immediate aftertaste.

M: Quite light in spite of the ABV. I split the bottle with two friends, but I didn't get much in the way of warmth, just great flavor.

D: Something this rich and complex is one to savor.

01-12-2011 01:16:04 | More by speter
rdub

Poured from the corked 22 into my Ommegang glass. It came with the gift pack. Medium black with some brown foam and nice lacing. Smell was malty and roasty with the slightest hint of cherry. Taste was also malty and roasty. Mouthfeel was bit thick and drinkability was good. The alcohol snuck up on me. Nighty night.

01-11-2011 04:22:17 | More by rdub
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

3p

a 4 the beer pours a rosy hue and leaves a cap with excellent staying power and a few webs of lace.

s 3.5 booze, tart cherries, light sweetness. not bad, but nothing to ponder for hours either.

t 4 there are all sorts of flavors that are probably here but that i'm failing to appreciate. seems pretty middle of the road belgian quad to me (despite my limited experience with quads). i'm not getting much if any dark fruit, chocolate, or other things i've heard this beer is supposed to evoke. it's slightly toasted, sweet, and tart--perhaps i'm having an off night.

m 4 at least medium bodied with a lively carbonation.

d 4 this is clearly good beer but some of what these philosphers were trying to say must have gone over my poor head.

01-10-2011 22:26:57 | More by brewmudgeon