Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. I got two full glasses out of this bottle, and both were excellent.

A: Pouring gently yielded a nice off white head, about 1 finger height. A rusty colored brew, with hints of ruby around the edge. Cloudy and almost translucent, it intrigued my wife. The head dies after a few sips, leaving moderate, sticky lacing. I have become accustomed to this, but others that haven't (present company) called it "beautiful."

S: Confectioners sugar, Sweet fruit like cherries and , more sugar...it smells really sweet. Digging deeper, I get some floral hints, and a malty sweetness, giving me the impression of chewy bread. An alcohol scent keeps everything in check. I've had this beer before, so I know it doesn't taste this sweet, but if this was my first time, I would think I was in for a sip of Kool-aid.

T: Cherries, like a Kriek. But then the ale overpowers, and this I prefer. It pushes the cherry to the background, but it's still present all the way to the end. I get lots of caramel malts, a little alcohol, and then that familiar Belgian yeast. I would not guess this was 9.5%...but then again, most Belgian styles seem to hide the alcohol well, in my experience. On the aftertaste, it resembles a good Dark Belgian Ale, mixed with a Kriek. Apparently, this is what is stated on the label, and it certainly tastes like it. The alcohol is there, but mild, bringing everything together.

M: At first it seemed like it coated my mouth and tongue quite heavily, but I think this is a result of the sugar. After a few seconds, that feeling went away, and it became silky smooth, with a decent amount of carbonation. I would like just a little more bubbles. It almost feels too smooth, as if it is missing some bite, however; this may be due to the fact that I poured it cold, and let it warm in the glass.

O: Another good brew from Ommegang. I have enjoyed this beer thoroughly. It is a simple beer in some aspects, but is complex enough to capture your attention. It does not overwhelm your senses, and pack quite a punch. If you are not careful (or if you like it that much...) it can get you pretty tipsy by itself. You can pair it with a hearty meal, or drink it by itself.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

- from the notes
A - short head atop a reddish brown clear beer.
S - a little fruity with plenty of sweetness.
T - a touch of yeasty flavors and a big dose of sweetness with a bit of cherry.
M - sticky sweetness overall.
I wasn't satisfied for the price and the hype.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

From the home of the baseball hall of fame comes this exquisite and unique rendition of a Belgian ale. A really caramel-sweet aroma leads to an extremely complex flavor with a full mouth-feel and finishes in grand fashion. Careful though...this beer packs a punch to the tune of 9.5% ABV so definitely not for the light-weights!!

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

2007 bottle (750 ml). Consumed on 9/24/11.

A: Poured into a Chimay chalice. Body is slightly hazy dark amber with mahogany hues when backlit. A 1-finger tan head is on top, settles fairly quickly.

S: Caramel malt and toffee or brown sugar is noted. Lots of fruit too - raisins, plums, berries and cherries are all there. Waft of alcohol at the finish.

T: Nice fruity and sweet maltiness up front - cherries, berries, toffee and caramel malt all do battle for the general impression, but play nicely together. Finishes with a bit of alcohol warmth, but I suspect it would've been stronger had this one not been laid down for over 4 years.

M: Call it medium-to-full in heft. Moderate carbonation with a nice fizziness.

O: Not as boozy as I remember from past experiences with fresher bottles; I think the age mellowed this one nicely. Went amazingly well with a steak from the grill.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Poured a deep brown iced-tea color with tan head. The head disappears quickly and the remnants are lacey.

S: The aroma is black cherries, molasses, woody.

T: complex, rich, semi-sweet, alcohol is your face, dried cherry, ends with a Belgian yeast

M: Full body, rich, surprising fine carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. Head is a tan, not long lasting, but with decent lacing.

S: Dark fruits, like ripe cherries, dominate the senses. There are some caramel and perhaps chocolate malts in there balanced with some sweet brown sugar and a bit of spice.

T: Very similar to the nose, dark fruits play the main role in the flavor. A lot of raisins and cherry with notes of molasses and caramel. Finishes slightly warm in the end from the high ABV. Overall, a nice complex flavor.

M: Nice creamy texture; full body; mild carbonation.

O: This is one of that beer for me- the one that turned me into a craft beer lover. Definitely one of my favorites and I recommend it whenever someone asks what's a good beer. One of the best quads I've ever had.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

A - very cloudy brown with a thick creamy head. Good retention on the head. Nice lacing.

S - Strong phenols and sweet malts. The phenols are more apparent after swirling the glass while the maltiness is more apparent after letting it sit. Lots of complexity. I cannot stop smelling this beer.

T - Cherry and dark, sweet malts. Strong alcohol aftertaste.

M - Creamy and amazingly smooth for a beer this complex.

O - Wow. If God is a beer drinker, this would be in both his fridge and his cellar. It would be hard to improve on this brew.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slight cherry flavor, large fizzy cream colored head which recedes quickly. Dark amber brown in color. Smells great--malty sweetness . Tastes great. Lots of delicious sediment in the bottom. Lots of lacing. Really smooth full bodied ale. This one is so complex, I love beers like this. They are hard to describe but simply awesome. This one is worth seeking out.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Big, luscious head on a ruby/copper beer. The nose is all cherries. The taste is mostly cherries too...it's a lot more kriek than it is Belgium ale. But it doesn't carry it's weight (9.8% ABV) very well...almost like a kriek with a shot of brandy in it. This one would probably improve with a little age.

Recommended Music Pairing - Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 20/9/11

A nearly clear bright reddish amber with lots of bubbles but only a long lasting film for head and not much lace

S fruity spice with a little booze and some brown sugar, I don't think I smell cherry but I smell some fruit but I just can't place it, I may be losing it but it may be very bruised banana

T I'm not finding the 2% Kriek other then faint tartness that shines through the sweet malts if that makes any sense, some yeast and spice to go with what I smell

M creamy from the bubbles with a slick feel left in the mouth, slightly sticky on the lips and a little heat

O worth a try but I wasn't blown away by this one, its a good beer but perhaps it needs some age

I'd drink this again but maybe I'll wait a few years, pretty fresh Quad but I'm stoked to see this on the shelves in Alberta

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from bottle to chalice.

Appearance - A rich, cloudy red-brown with a two to three finger head of creme foam. Lacing that glistens and clings throughout the session.

Smell - Sweet malt blend. Licorice, some herbal notes and a medicinal feel. Yeast with a faint alcohol.

Taste & Mouthfeel - It's complicated. Herbal and earthy. Hint of a cherry lambic. I'm really having difficulty being more specific than that. Very soft in the hop department. Yeasty thickness. Smooth, creamy, light carbonation.

Overall - Medicinal beers are a bit rare in our household and this was balanced enough to be very enjoyable though the yeast seemed a bit much for the malts.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a dark amber/reddish color with a huge tan head.

S: Banana, brown sugar, black cherry and some raisin. Really nice aroma.

T: Brown sugar, fig, raisin and a bit of booze. The mouthfeel feels a bit thick, but the beer manages to come off feeling light. Not sure how they pulled that one off.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

09 vintage poured into goblet.

Pours a very slight redish brown with a thick looking tan head, great lacing. Smells slightly of cherries and sweet malts. Taste is right on for a great quad, some sweet caramel like malty taste with darker sweet fruit aftertaste. None of the cherries really come through in the taste. Mouthfeel and carbonation are pretty spot on.

Overall i did not like this beer when i tried it fresh a few months ago but this bottle i have been sitting on for 2 years has turned from an overly sweet mess to an amazing beer.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A: Caramel with ruby glow.

S: Faint sweet fruit.

T: Starts rich, fades to sweet and ends a bit tart. Flavors include toasted caramel malt and cherry. Improves as it warms.

M: Starts smooth, then forms a nice carbonation with warming alcohol.

O: Complex, unique and enjoyable.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

Same batch as below aged 1+ year.

Notes are similar except cherry has dropped off leaving molasses, brown sugar, raisins, dried cherries on the nose and palate. Lingering alcoholic warmth. More enjoyable than last time around...

Purchased at the brewery 2 months ago. Bottled Aug 8, 2010. Poured into a Duvel tulip (also from the brewery).

Pours a nice clear reddish brown with a nice head and light cap with too little head. Aromas of sweet malt, cherry & raisin. Fantastic, though not mindblowing. The taste though is a little too dominated by the cherry, with a thick maltiness also sticking to the tongue. A nice beer to drink, though the thickness slows you down. I have 4 x 12oz in the cellar and hoping to see how this one ages...

Interestingly at the brewery they said that BA gave this an A+. Perhaps in the mag?
4/5/4/4/3.5

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Caramel color with a beige head, poured slowly, so not a lot of head

S: Definitely a caramel and dark stone fruit smell.

T: Stone fruit and caramel on the palate, really opened up after sitting for a while. Complex and pleasurable flavors. Slight bitter flavor on the finish.

M: Full bodied and moderately carbonated.

D: Enjoyable bouquet, higher alcohol volume. Easy to drink.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 2010 caged and corked 750ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a turbid tea tinged orange color topped off with 2 fingers of popping eggshell head that hangs around for a few minutes before vanishing. Slight lace on the glass.

Aroma is nice. Sweet molasses and simmering fruits like plums, cherries, oranges, apples. Some honey and slight lemon with a bit of bourbon.

Flavors are off color and out of balance for my taste. I get a metallic overtone as I have with other Ommegang brews. I can't get over that. I shared this with some friends and they said the same thing. The cherries are there, just very subtle. I do get some apple, pear, and plum along with some warming booze. Not terribly bad, but not terribly good either.

Feel is medium bite with a bit more fizzy carb than I'd like from a quad. Maybe that's what they were going for.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed in this beer. I'm a big fan of the quad style. It gets a lot of hype, but I just don't see why.

Edited on 02/12/13:
After encountering 3P on several more occasions since my initial review, I have raised some of my scoring. I find 3P to be insconsistent from batch to batch and my initial impression was likely made from an off batch even though now I can appreciate the beer only slightly more. Cheers.

2.88/5  rDev -30.4%

A: Beautiful clear red/dark amber color topped by a thick 2 finger off-white head.

S: Unfortunetly, I don't get ANYTHING but a tad of caramel on the smell. I expected a LOT more from this beer. The only reason why I didn't give the smell a 1, was because I just don't smell anything. Its not offensive, it's just not there.

T: Improves on the taste quite a bit, but I think it's still on the weak side. I get figs and plums right up front, and some toffee in the mid palate. The finish is dominated by alcohol presence and residual flavors.

M: Full bodied and moderately carbonated. This beer is nothing special on the palate.

D: It's okay at best, due to the alcohol. I would never have more than one of these. I bet it's good with a cigar.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour was excellent. They tell you how to pour right on the bottle. That helps! But besides that the pour does look good.

The smell is a hint of cherries but besides that I don't pick up much. That is while I give it a smaller rating.

The taste is great. First the aftertaste, I think it taste like a barely wine at least that is the flavors I taste. It has a slightly fruity, with a wheat-y taste.

Mouthfeel is fine. It was full and did not seem overpowering.

Overall it is a great beer. I could see myself buying this beer in a store. It was very pleasant and satisfying

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Amber-colored with thick tan two fingered head leaving an incredible amount of lace.
S: Malty with dark fruity flavor largely cherries.
T: Cherry tinged flavor with roasted malt taste. Warming alcohol sneaks up on you.
M: Full-bodied with warming sensation produced by alcohol. Mild carbonation.
O: Big flavor in a big beer. Very enjoyable brew. Would definitely drink again.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

I feel that the best way to have this beer is on tap. That being said it is definitely advisable to "sip" this beer because it is equally strong and thick. Almost has that abbey-ale feel to it with that cherry flavoring added in to make it drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- 2011 750 ml gentle pour into an Ommegang goblet. Pours a see through, slightly red tinted, maple syrup color with a one finger Baileys Irish Cream colored head. Not a lot of lacing. After a second pour, noticed some sediment in bottle. I do not like "floaties" in my drinks. Avoiding the last inch in bottle....for now.

S- A difficult to determine faint "smell". Some sweet malt. A little medicinal-like odor.

T- What a surprise. Did not expect such a great taste due to the faint "smell". I am getting sweet malt, some bread, a little clove spice, just a tinge of cherry. Very rich, yummy taste. Like it a lot. Warm on the swallow.

M- One of the better mouthfeels in quite some time. Rich and creamy. Smooth and sticky. Warms the throat and belly. Tingly carbonation.

O- Have sat on this for atleast 6 months. Now I have to run out and find another.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer pours a reddish brown color with thick tan head. The smell is slightly sweet dark fruits a hint of booze. The flavor is a little Belgian yeasty flavor followed by a big dark fruit and alcohol presence. The mouhfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated. Not a stellar representation of the style but a veery good one none the less

4.18/5  rDev +1%

2011, poured into a Chimay goblet.

Pours an opaque maroon, like maple syrup peppered with lighter snowflakes of yeast. An inch of pillowy tan foam descends to half its size, then stops, remaining as creamy, soft merengue. Glorious ebbed lace.

Sweet aroma. Raisins, bubble gum, brown sugar, hints of banana and pear.

Very raisiny flavor. Sweet, with a hint of the metallic when cold. As it warms, I get molasses, a bit of sherry or brandy (lots of ethanol here), dark cherries, some toasted bread and maple syrup. Complex aromas travel through the nose after the swallow. Layers and layers of flavor emerge as the thing becomes sweeter and more complex as it warms. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty damn close and earns every point.

The creamy, expansive medium body gets steadily bigger in the mouth as it moves, foaming densely. Plenty of booze in the nose and gentle carbonation.

Much passed over; too-rarely purchased. Three Philosophers has always been available, and now that I know how high-caliber this is, I’ll be purchasing more often. A fantastic Belgian dark that I imagine would benefit from some cellar time.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

A very cloud head. A nutty, clear color almost clarifying itself after being poured. A nice sweet olor with an essence of a balance toast and smoked, honey and fruity. Spectacular flavor. malty, a hint of oaked caramel. A balance between light and heavy. Excellent mouthfeel, letting you know that it's balanced and you can drink it without problems. Wonderfull Quadrupel.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang